PDA

View Full Version : Tigers footy manager admits shooting for mediocrity

Dry Rot
03-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Never aimed to go for a flag, just a desperate lunge to plan a final to please the fans. Tigers fans are spewing.

RICHMOND is "paying the price" for attempting to fast-track its list rebuild under Damien Hardwick with mature-age recruits, football manager Dan Richardson says.

Richardson told SEN radio on Monday that when Hardwick took over as senior coach at the end of 2009 Richmond had decided it could not afford an eight-year rebuild.

After opening the 2010 season with nine straight losses, Hardwick led Richmond back to the finals in 2013 for the first time in 11 years.

The Tigers' revival came on the back of a recruitment strategy that saw the club bolster its list with mature-age recruits such as Shaun Grigg, Bachar Houli, Ivan Maric, Troy Chaplin, Chris Knights, Aaron Edwards, Ricky Petterd, Orren Stephenson and Sam Lonergan.

Over the next three years, they added Shaun Hampson, Nathan Gordon, Sam Lloyd, Todd Banfield, Matt Thomas, Anthony Miles, Taylor Hunt, Andrew Moore, Kane Lambert, Jacob Townsend and Chris Yarran.

Richardson said it had been "a terrific achievement" for Richmond to make the finals in Hardwick's four years at the helm, but acknowledged the Tigers' list management strategy had been a factor in the club's slow start to 2016.

"We couldn't take eight years to rebuild. We needed to become competitive a bit quicker than that. But at that time all the best talent basically for the next four to five years was going to be going north (to Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney)," Richardson said.

"We're seeing the likes of GWS reap the rewards of that now. Our strategy wasn't just to go to the draft like a lot of clubs did because we knew that would probably take six to eight years and we've seen that with the likes of Melbourne.

"We didn't think Richmond fans would accept an eight-year rebuild. We turned it around in four, which I think was a terrific achievement.

"We're paying a price in the sense that we knew that that mature-age talent would get us to a point but not take us to the next level, which was always going to be the hardest part.

"While it's been disappointing somewhat to not win a final, it's been a good achievement to play finals for three years in a row for the first time for 20 years for the club."

Richardson acknowledged everyone at Punt Road was frustrated by the club's 1-5 start to 2016, but he was confident that 2014 draftees Corey Ellis (pick No.12), Connor Menadue (pick No.33) and 2015 pick Daniel Rioli (No.15) would be "really good long-term players".

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-02/richmond-paying-the-price-for-recruiting-strategy-says-football-manager

bulldogtragic
03-05-2016, 11:07 PM
What a disgrace. Their members should dump 1,000 semi loads of manure at Punt Road after hearing that. Their members are being held out to be reason and responsible for the clubs shit list management. Talk about salt in the wound. Classic Richmond.

Dry Rot
03-05-2016, 11:21 PM
Wonder where Hardwick fits in all that?

bornadog
03-05-2016, 11:26 PM
I wonder what other clubs have done the same thing?

Twodogs
03-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Topping up to make the finals. Interesting concept.

Dry Rot
03-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Topping up to make the finals. Interesting concept.

Big meltdown od Tigers fans on BF. Very amusing.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Big meltdown od Tigers fans on BF. Very amusing.

I can only imagine. They're (the fans/members) effectively being blamed for badly failed list management and thus the current predicament. They should be warming up the microwaves for their membership cards. Hopefully some of the good players fear more years of mediocrity without any real chance of success and look for a trade. I'd take Riewoldt.

F'scary
04-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Dig the way they are rewriting history. Didn't someone once say "the future is certain, it is only the past that changes"?

Twodogs
04-05-2016, 09:02 AM
It's an old soviet joke. It was made recently about Putin. I can't remember who said it.

" in Putin's world it is the future that is certain and the past that is uncertain"

ledge
04-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Wasnt that Sheedys problem at Essendon, higher up arrogance insisted they make finals every year so he was forced to sign reject or older experienced players from other clubs even though they weren't big name players .
Thus you have teams like Richmond and Essendon,mid range and never going anywhere because it was just about making finals.

KT31
04-05-2016, 11:43 AM
I've underrated the Tigers, I didn't think they where that good of an organisation to reach their goals so efficiently.:)

Ghost Dog
04-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Too many di%heads.
Play too much on emotion and rely on players who fade in and out. Riewoldt will either kick a bag or hardly get a touch. Is poor defensively. Martin goes missing for quarters. Happily take Dids off their hands.

1eyedog
04-05-2016, 12:33 PM
I'd rather Jack than Lids personally. Jack would be something else in a good team. Good in the air and super creative when it hits the deck.

jeemak
04-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Yep, a forward line of Riewoldt, Stringer and Boyd is about as good as it would get.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Too many di%heads.
Play too much on emotion and rely on players who fade in and out. Riewoldt will either kick a bag or hardly get a touch. Is poor defensively. Martin goes missing for quarters. Happily take Dids off their hands.

Nobody has kicked more goals in the competition than Jack over the last 4? years and he's well noted for the team player he's become. He's a fantastic player and you're well off the mark with the assessment on him GD.

Martin on the other hand I agree with, but their issues really rest on their players 10-22.

Mofra
04-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Nobody has kicked more goals in the competition than Jack over the last 4? years and he's well noted for the team player he's become. He's a fantastic player and you're well off the mark with the assessment on him GD.
Yeah I'm a Jack fan, also disagree with the earlier defensive efforts statement - he is one of the better KPFs for defensive pressure and led the competition or defensive tackles inside the F50 for a tall a couple of years back.

If we had taken him with the pick we blew on Everitt we would have had, at the very least, a prelim victory during the 08-10 years.

Bulldog4life
04-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Richmond did the same thing in the 70's when Tom Hafey was coach. It worked then for them probably thought it would happen again.

Happy Days
04-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Yeah I'm a Jack fan, also disagree with the earlier defensive efforts statement - he is one of the better KPFs for defensive pressure and led the competition or defensive tackles inside the F50 for a tall a couple of years back.

If we had taken him with the pick we blew on Everitt we would have had, at the very least, a prelim victory during the 08-10 years.

There's no easier way to get pointlessly hated than to be a key position forward in the AFL.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2016, 02:06 PM
A player guaranteed to break the hearts of Richmond supporters. So full of himself you wouldn't trust him to swing into defence when needed or play other positions. Granted he's had some good tackle stats, but seems to pot his own players pretty fast, go the fist pound on the turf, diss his team's plan in the media and generally be a bit of a knob.

Greystache
04-05-2016, 04:22 PM
There's no easier way to get pointlessly hated than to be a key position forward in the AFL.

Jack Redpath being case in point.

Twodogs
04-05-2016, 04:50 PM
I'd have Delidio and Jack Rievoldt thanks very much.

Ozza
04-05-2016, 04:56 PM

Martin on the other hand I agree with, but their issues really rest on their players 10-22.

Couldn't agree more on Riewoldt. He plays his heart out for Richmond and is a brilliant player.

The degree to which he is a 'heart on his sleeve' type makes him look like a bit of a d1ckhead sometimes, but I'd take a passionate player like that over the alternative any day.

Has no doubt stayed at Richmond for far less money than he could get anywhere else.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Would you say Mathew Richardson made Richmond a better team over the course of his career or worse?
He kicked a lot of goals.

"Richardson's 800 career goals currently see him ranked second behind Jack Titus at Richmond, and eleventh on the all-time list of AFL/VFL goalkickers."

Caroline Wilson showed a freaky stat once that showed the Tigers won more often when Richo was out injured. Individual play doesn't always equate to team success and there can be a number of reasons for this.

azabob
04-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Spot on TBB. Stringer could do a lot worse than model himself on Riewoldt and how he changed his ways for the better.

bornadog
04-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Spot on TBB. Stringer could do a lot worse than model himself on Riewoldt and how he changed his ways for the better.

Don't understand why Stringer has to change his ways?

EasternWest
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Couldn't agree more on Riewoldt. He plays his heart out for Richmond and is a brilliant player.

The degree to which he is a 'heart on his sleeve' type makes him look like a bit of a d1ckhead sometimes, but I'd take a passionate player like that over the alternative any day.

Has no doubt stayed at Richmond for far less money than he could get anywhere else.

Interesting. His cousin is the same, but a far superior footballer, and is almost universally hated on this board.

Twodogs
04-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Interesting. His cousin is the same, but a far superior footballer, and is almost universally hated on this board.

I'd have had Nick in his prime in a heartbeat-he could still make us a better team probably-but I hate him with a passion. I'd have come round to him I reckon.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2016, 01:31 AM

??? Can you see Jack Reiwoldt playing in the midfield or defence without a massive tantrum?

Happy Days
05-05-2016, 01:56 AM
Stringer is such a jet and we don't realise how lucky we are to have him.

soupman
05-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Tbf there are other reasons for us to dislike Nick.

1eyedog
05-05-2016, 12:46 PM
??? Can you see Jack Reiwoldt playing in the midfield or defence without a massive tantrum?

I think most supporters would have a massive tantrum as well. Jack's a natural forward, a match winner, why would you play him anywhere else?

Ghost Dog
05-05-2016, 02:22 PM
I think most supporters would have a massive tantrum as well. Jack's a natural forward, a match winner, why would you play him anywhere else?

Modern footy demands players ( Pav, Buddy ) be able to be flexible. Jake Stringer racing down into the midfield, to help out his mates, in a prelim we all knew was lost. Never seen a better bit of footage in his career and never prouder to be a supporter in that moment.
That kind of stuff is what I watch footy for and keeps our heads held high, even after a loss.

Jack Riewoldt would stand at the fwd 50 and abuse his own team mates. When the chips are down, he loses it. When you are losing badly, the next quarter is your start for next week.

Remi Moses
05-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Riewoldt was certainly selfish a few years ago, and often tried the spectacular .
Jake does need to do the simple things better in the forward half .

Twodogs
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Riewoldt was certainly selfish a few years ago, and often tried the spectacular .
Jake does need to do the simple things better in the forward half .

Yep. Jack was a bit of a dill but he mended his ways. Mostly.

1eyedog
05-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Modern footy demands players ( Pav, Buddy ) be able to be flexible. Jake Stringer racing down into the midfield, to help out his mates, in a prelim we all knew was lost. Never seen a better bit of footage in his career and never prouder to be a supporter in that moment.
That kind of stuff is what I watch footy for and keeps our heads held high, even after a loss.

Jack Riewoldt would stand at the fwd 50 and abuse his own team mates. When the chips are down, he loses it. When you are losing badly, the next quarter is your start for next week.

Fair enough. I just don't see any club considering Jack for any role other than as a forward. He kicks like Tory Dickson and marks like we want Tom Boyd to.

GVGjr
05-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Fair enough. I just don't see any club considering Jack for any role other than as a forward. He kicks like Tory Dickson and marks like we want Tom Boyd to.

Tend to agree. He's a very good footballer and best suited to be in the 50mtr arc.

LostDoggy
06-05-2016, 03:37 PM
But at that time all the best talent basically for the next four to five years was going to be going north (to Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney),
What a total copout. Not only did we face the same situation, we lost as many, if not the most, genuine stars to the northern teams as anybody else and we still managed to turn our list around in short order. If I was a Tigers fan (and could handle the self-loathing) I would be pointing at the Dogs and saying, "Well, Dan, bullshit."

What a disgrace. Their members should dump 1,000 semi loads of manure at Punt Road after hearing that. Their members are being held out to be reason and responsible for the clubs shit list management. Talk about salt in the wound. Classic Richmond.
To be fair, though, Richmond fans are a fickle bunch.

Too many di%heads.
Martin may go missing for three quarters, but the quarter he wakes up, he wins the game off his own boot. That's why they put up with his DH ways. I'm not saying I want him at the Dogs, but he's one hell of a good footballer, hairstyle notwithstanding.

That's due to the scuba gear worn during the '09 prelim.

Sedat
06-05-2016, 03:42 PM
I used to deride Riewoldt as 'Junktime Jack' a couple of years ago for his propensity to kick a few late goals when games were over, but I would take him in a heartbeat right now. He is a much more rounded footballer these days and does a ton of hard running and defensive work.

Greystache
06-05-2016, 03:43 PM
I used to deride Riewoldt as 'Junktime Jack' a couple of years ago for his propensity to kick a few late goals when games were over, but I would take him in a heartbeat right now. He is a much more rounded footballer these days and does a ton of hard running and defensive work.

It's certainly been a big turn around, from you and him! :)

Sedat
06-05-2016, 03:46 PM
It's certainly been a big turn around, from you and him! :)
I might have to reassess my derision of Jack Viney* soon as well :o

*he still butchers the ball a lot

Greystache
06-05-2016, 03:48 PM
I might have to reassess my derision of Jack Viney* soon as well :o

*he still butchers the ball a lot

Didn't want to mention it but... :D

Ozza
06-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Not by me. I can't speak for others.

I 'hate him' on the days that we play against him - but outside of those days, nothing but respect for him.

Bulldog Joe
06-05-2016, 04:24 PM
On the subject of Jack Reiwoldt, I often wonder if his other cousin in football, was responsible for us not drafting him.

EasternWest
06-05-2016, 05:23 PM
What a total copout. Not only did we face the same situation, we lost as many, if not the most, genuine stars to the northern teams as anybody else and we still managed to turn our list around in short order. If I was a Tigers fan (and could handle the self-loathing) I would be pointing at the Dogs and saying, "Well, Dan, bullshit."

To be fair, though, Richmond fans are a fickle bunch.

Martin may go missing for three quarters, but the quarter he wakes up, he wins the game off his own boot. That's why they put up with his DH ways. I'm not saying I want him at the Dogs, but he's one hell of a good footballer, hairstyle notwithstanding.

That's due to the scuba gear worn during the '09 prelim.

2 replies to this BAS.

1. What complete and utter tosh. He played the game to the rules that the umpire created for him. If you want to hate anyone for "that incident", blame the umpire. If one of our players got us a goal in the same manner, we'd be lauding his cleverness.

2. Good to see you back again.

Topdog
08-05-2016, 06:16 AM
2 replies to this BAS.

1. What complete and utter tosh. He played the game to the rules that the umpire created for him. If you want to hate anyone for "that incident", blame the umpire. If one of our players got us a goal in the same manner, we'd be lauding his cleverness.

2. Good to see you back again.

Yeah but he didn't do it for us so we hate him. He has been looked after a bit by umpires throughout his career and was also believed to be the one who made a joke of Clay Smith doing his knee again which sparked a melee.

He is far from a saint

Ozza
08-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Yeah but he didn't do it for us so we hate him. He has been looked after a bit by umpires throughout his career and was also believed to be the one who made a joke of Clay Smith doing his knee again which sparked a melee.

He is far from a saint

The comment about Riewoldt saying something about Clay's knee was completely made up by someone on here at the time and seem to get legs out of nothing.

Topdog
08-05-2016, 03:33 PM
The comment about Riewoldt saying something about Clay's knee was completely made up by someone on here at the time and seem to get legs out of nothing.

I certainly didnt hear it from anyone on here and personally trust my source on that. Whether it is true or not we may never know but it didnt start on here.

LostDoggy
08-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Poor Richmond, can't even keep a thread on track let alone a season.

EasternWest
08-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Poor Richmond, can't even keep a thread on track let alone a season.

Not bad.

Twodogs
09-05-2016, 09:19 AM

Yeah, nah. I have heard that he made the comment from sources outside of here. St Nick had the blood lust that night.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2016, 07:59 PM
I saw a clip on the news last night of an interview with Brett Deledio. He mentioned his team mates are ribbing him by saying to him that 'he doesn't have to worry about getting the club back up because I'm going to the Bulldogs next year anyway'.

Joke by his teammates, or serious statement held out as a joke I wonder? Patton was getting the same thing from his teammates in 2014 until he did his knee. Then Boyd got the prize.

Twodogs
14-05-2016, 08:04 PM
What?

I'm Sorry? Going to the what?

chef
14-05-2016, 08:21 PM
Would love to get Lids