PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs set to open contract talks with coach Luke Beveridge

bornadog
05-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Link (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-set-to-open-contract-talks-with-coach-luke-beveridge/news-story/1961163e81ebec13aff82a71c1bfa45a)

THE Western Bulldogs will open discussions with coach Luke Beveridge about a contract extension in the coming months, with club president Peter Gordon saying he expect him to have a “long stay” at the Whitten Oval.

Beveridge is only six rounds into the second season of a three-year contract, but the club’s on-field turnaround since his arrival is certain to guarantee him a revamped new deal.

Asked if talks would soon start on a new deal for the coach, Gordon said: “I’m sure we will, he has been a terrific acquisition.”

“I am sure sometime during the course of the year we will sit down and have a beer and a yarn, and I am sure we will put that away at some point that is convenient to both of us,” Gordon told AFL Live.

“I lay claim to credit of saying at the start of last year that we have signed one of the great coaches of the next 10 or 20 years. I am sure he will have a long stay as Bulldogs coach.”

Beveridge has won 18 of his 29 games as Bulldogs coach, and led the club into the finals in his debut season at the helm last year.

Gordon put much of the credit for selecting the coach on former Bulldog and now media commentator Luke Darcy, who insisted the club hold out on making a decision until Beveridge had returned from overseas.

1eyedog
05-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Maybe we should wait until the bye. See how the next 6 weeks pan out.

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Maybe we should wait until the bye. See how the next 6 weeks pan out.

I would prefer to extend him asap. Collingwood and Richmond are going to be looking for coaches very soon.

Mantis
05-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I would prefer to extend him asap. Collingwood and Richmond are going to be looking for coaches very soon.

But he is already contracted for 2017 so I don't see the need to rush.

Bevo has been brilliant for us so far, and I hope he can take us to the promised land, but I really think we should be having these discussions this time next year... Lots of water to go under the bridge until then.

Mofra
05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
That hasn't worked out well with Lyon, I don't really see the need to rush it mid-season before he's even halfway through his contract

azabob
05-05-2016, 01:33 PM
That hasn't worked out well with Lyon, I don't really see the need to rush it mid-season before he's even halfway through his contract

But waiting to the last minute with Lyon doesn't work either!

Mantis
05-05-2016, 01:46 PM
But waiting to the last minute with Lyon doesn't work either!

That might say a bit more about the individual than the process followed.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2016, 02:17 PM
I was one who said Luke Darcy should not be on the panel. Luke, I apologise to you, it was the great gift of the committee.

lemmon
05-05-2016, 02:19 PM
If this year in the comp has proved anything it's that there's no need for haste

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Surely we are comfortable, that Beveridge is the man for the job. Most coaches look at 5 years and adding another 2 will take him to 5.

While we don't need to put an urgency on an extension, I just see no reason to delay and doing so is likely to increase the cost.

The Doctor
05-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Sign him up asap. it's good business to secure your best assets.

ratsmac
05-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Sign him for 20 years!

azabob
05-05-2016, 08:46 PM

True, but also I think it says more about the club involved also.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Bevo. Thank you. Thank you.

LostDoggy
05-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Saints definitely left it too late, the door was ajar and Freo pounced. I think they are much better off with Richo anyway.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2016, 11:00 PM
How is this news? The parties have not yet spoken, and hope to speak soon.

jeemak
06-05-2016, 02:01 AM
Saints definitely left it too late, the door was ajar and Freo pounced. I think they are much better off with Richo anyway.

Agree they're in a good position with their current coach. You have to remember however, they really botched their first crack at changing things after Lyon and are lucky to have had a second crack at Richardson.

If we've learned nothing else from the BMac era (and from the competition this year) it's that irrespective of seemingly normal circumstances there's no need to extend contracts of coaches prematurely - let alone after only after 19 months in the top job.

It's a stressful job, but one that needs to be incentivised through strong performance. I don't want to extend terms to our key strategic employee until his strategic value is clearly demonstrated via a genuine pattern of strong performance.

He's not far off from demonstrating that if the trend continues, but there's no harm in waiting for a moment whilst he's still under contract.

soupman
06-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Not really he still had a whole year left on his contract when Freo bought it out. If anything it showed contracts are worthless when it comes to poaching.

LostDoggy
06-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Not really he still had a whole year left on his contract when Freo bought it out. If anything it showed contracts are worthless when it comes to poaching.

Not sure it was bought out - he had an exit clause in his contract which he took up. Exit clause or no exit clause, he would have made it to Freo. Agree contracts are worthless these days.

1eyedog
06-05-2016, 10:26 AM

Yep. Contracts in general aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

LostDoggy
06-05-2016, 03:04 PM
But he is already contracted for 2017 so I don't see the need to rush.

Bevo has been brilliant for us so far, and I hope he can take us to the promised land, but I really think we should be having these discussions this time next year... Lots of water to go under the bridge until then.

By this time next year he'll have at least informally agreed to terms with an AFL club for 2018. We need to ensure that club is us.

I'm not talking a ten year extension, but another 1–2 years is worth the risk. If we sacked him before 4 years I'd be livid anyway.