PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 9 2016 vs GWS Giants

Eastdog
14-05-2016, 04:07 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 9 2016 match against GWS Giants at Spotless Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
15-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Lets here your thoughts on how we should line up for next week?

bornadog
15-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Out Roberts, not good enough

GVGjr
15-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Out Roberts, not good enough

You have to nominate a replacement

bornadog
15-05-2016, 07:15 PM
You have to nominate a replacement
Hamling

Testekill
15-05-2016, 07:22 PM
OUT: Roberts, Dale, Boyd (if suspended)

IN: Adams (if ready, if not then Hamling), Webb, Honeychurch

SlimPickens
15-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Out: Dale, McLean,Williams
In: Adams, Stevens, Honeychurch

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Boyd is getting at least one week. Which is his 1/3 season rest, so no biggy.

In: Adams, Honeychurch, Cordy
Out: Roberts, McLean (rested), Boyd (suspended)

Scorlibo
15-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Out: Dale, Roberts
In: Honeychurch, Adams (pending finger)

1eyedog
15-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Roberts and Dale out

Adams and Stevens in.

comrade
15-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Jong has to come in after knocking the door down the last 2 weeks.

IN: Jong, Adams, Stevens
OUT: Dale, Roberts, Adock

Williams was good enough to keep his spot and Bevo isn't one to drop a kid after 1 game.

azabob
15-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Considering the Giants three tall forwards does Roughead spend more time down back picking up Lobb or Patten or do we bring in another tall?

jeemak
15-05-2016, 09:57 PM
What did Boyd do?

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 09:59 PM
What did Boyd do?

Elbow to the face/head. Accidental, but looks really bad. I reckon with a hood record it might be one week, which gives him a week's rest.

Hotdog60
15-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Do we think Adams will be back after only one week of having a finger set. I think he might be another week.

westbulldog
15-05-2016, 11:00 PM

Williams was good enough to keep his spot and Bevo isn't one to drop a kid after 1 game.

I agree with comrade's ins and outs. I cannot possibly imagine Roberts up against Cameron / Patton.

GVGjr
15-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Do we think Adams will be back after only one week of having a finger set. I think he might be another week.

I tend to think he will need another week.

Mantis
16-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Where does Jong play?

Has been very strong in the midfield the last 2 weeks, but our core group of Bont, Dahl, Libba and Wallis have been exceptional and I can't see him dragging minutes away from them.. Ditto for Stevens.

How do you see us matching up in defence? Having Adams as our only 'tall' is a concern against Cameron, Lobb and Patton.. Especially given the strength of GWS's midfield and running defenders.

1eyedog
16-05-2016, 09:30 AM

Same could be said of Webb and HC though. Wasn't Roarke dropped after his game at Subi?

I just can't see Adcock getting dropped until Suckers is back. Perhaps until JJ is back actually.

ledge
16-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Who comes back from injury this week.
Hrovat, Stevens,Boyd,Adams and Suckling ?
Not saying they will play seniors just wondering who's back

1eyedog
16-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Who comes back from injury this week.
Hrovat, Stevens,Boyd,Adams and Suckling ?
Not saying they will play seniors just wondering who's back

Suckers and Hrovat at least a week away from full recovery and Bevo mentioned Boyd would miss next week and then come through Footscray. I'd say the only plausible inclusion would be Stevens. If M. Boyd misses then it would be Stevens for Boyd I reckon.

ledge
16-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Maybe Adams for Roberts ?

Sedat
16-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Collins for M Boyd, assuming Adams isn't ready. Tall for a small is needed at the very least this week.

Wood can take care of Patton, who is getting gifted games at the moment. But we'll need Roberts and Collins to look after Cameron and Lobb, and Morris to get Stevie J. Back in our mids to beat their mids and we will hopefully restrict their forward 50 threat.

comrade
16-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Back in our mids to beat their mids and we will hopefully restrict their forward 50 threat.

It's the only way to beat them. Thankfully, that's our specialty.

They've been up for a while now, let's hope they're due for a fall. Would love to pound their smug orange faces.

hujsh
16-05-2016, 01:14 PM
It's the only way to beat them. Thankfully, that's our specialty.

They've been up for a while now, let's hope they're due for a fall. Would love to pound their smug orange faces.

GWS Trumps?

'The most elegant, classy, winningest football team you ever saw'

JohnGentStand
16-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Ins: Collins, Stevens, Jong

Outs: Williams, Boyd (suspended), Dale

Collins can take Patton

bornadog
16-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Ins: Collins, Stevens, Jong

Outs: Williams, Boyd (suspended), Dale

Collins can take Patton

Two half back flankers out for two mids.

jeemak
16-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Interesting that an article on AFL web page suggests Adams is expected to return this week.

SlimPickens
16-05-2016, 02:17 PM
I doubt Boyd gets suspended for that. Hasn't even rated a mention today so far.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2016, 02:28 PM
How do you see us matching up in defence? Having Adams as our only 'tall' is a concern against Cameron, Lobb and Patton.. Especially given the strength of GWS's midfield and running defenders.

Ideally we would play more talls if we had the quality, however playing a tall defender who isn't up to the level will just make things worse.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Roberts for Zane, if Zane is ready. Roberts dropped to learn a few things but I hope he gets another shot. It's been an excellent learning experience for him and he did some good things against two of the premier forwards of the comp.

Campbell and Roughy have been a bit of a surprise. If Roughy plays back I'm not sure how Tom will go by himself.
So Roughy and Tom to share some time in the defensive half.
Stevens for Adcock.

bornadog
16-05-2016, 02:55 PM
So Roughy and Tom to share some time in the defensive half.

I can't see Tom C in the backline.

Sedat
16-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Ideally we would play more talls if we had the quality, however playing a tall defender who isn't up to the level will just make things worse.
A wise man once said "a crap tall is still crap" ;)

Don't reckon Dad is a crap tall, and would be able to handle a key defensive job this week.

Mantis
16-05-2016, 03:14 PM

So playing Adcock or Biggs on a tall is a better option?

Ozza
16-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Why is it ideal to play more talls? One of the best parts of our game, and one that teams are struggling to deal with, is our ability to position ourselves aggressively in defence and then run the ball out of defence.

People get hysterical if the opposition mark the ball inside 50 and kick a goal - but for the most part, our small and medium sized defenders are stopping it even going in there.

I think its time everyone stopped thinking that 'this is the week where we are going to go taller in defence' - Bevo hasn't done it in 30 games so far.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 03:38 PM
I can't see Tom C in the backline.

He took a few great grabs V Crows. Can easily replicate that in the backline.
If Roberts can play forward, Tom Campbell can defend.

hujsh
16-05-2016, 04:03 PM
He took a few great grabs V Crows. Can easily replicate that in the backline.
If Roberts can play forward, Tom Campbell can defend.

Roberts was drafted as a forward and has at least kicked some goals at Footscray.

When has TC ever even shown the ability to potentially play in our defensive setup?

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Roberts was drafted as a forward and has at least kicked some goals at Footscray.

When has TC ever even shown the ability to potentially play in our defensive setup?

Tom Campbell can mark, his set shots are a bit iffy, but he can compete at ground level and is doing well against the best rucks in the comp. He can fly for a ball and get his hand to it. He's more mobile than previous seasons. I think it would be a great challenge for him.

Modern footy. Learn to adapt. As a small club, that's what we have to do to survive. Learn to use what we have.

Pickenitup
16-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Boydy and Jack both got a week susp

dadsgirl16
16-05-2016, 05:07 PM
What did Big Jack do??

Mantis
16-05-2016, 05:11 PM
What did Big Jack do??

Kneed Kennedy in the head.. Apparantely.

ledge
16-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Vince got off !

Mantis
16-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Vince got off !

Fair enough too.. Contact to the head was minimal.

Can't believe Pederson got off with a fine.

dadsgirl16
16-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Well the boy Kennedy probably deserved it !

always right
16-05-2016, 05:29 PM
Well that's just made the GWS game a whole lot more difficult.

Adams for Boyd
Stevens for Redpath

jeemak
16-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Well that's just made the GWS game a whole lot more difficult.

Adams for Boyd
Stevens for Redpath

Now there's an article on the AFL web page stating Adams isn't available.

Mofra
16-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Collins a chance for debut?
Seems to be the way when travelling. That's now 1/3 of our first choice best 22 out now for this game.

Remi Moses
16-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Yes maybe Jack should change his name to Ben Cunnington .
Seems you can stick the knees in and get a fine one week, then get a suspension the next

G-Mo77
16-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Yes maybe Jack should change his name to Ben Cunnington .
Seems you can stick the knees in and get a fine one week, then get a suspension the next

I'm not surprised he got rubbed out for it. Dropped knees into his head which is what the original 50m penalty was for. It was dumb by Jack and hurts us and him as he was in pretty good form.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2016, 07:21 PM
If Redders has a week off, how does Minson against Mumford sound, with Roughy & Campbell also rucking of playing KPD or KPF?

Bulldog Joe
16-05-2016, 07:25 PM
If Redders has a week off, how does Minson against Mumford sound, with Roughy & Campbell also rucking of playing KPD or KPF?

I was thinking, that may be the way to go. Minson's VFL form seems to be very good and it would also provide the option for Roughy to help out on Patton or Lobb in the backline.

Testekill
16-05-2016, 07:27 PM

Makes us too top heavy, Roughy & Campbell aren't KPPs and Minson hasn't had much of an impact around the ground in the VFL.

mjp
16-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Same could be said of Webb and HC though. Wasn't Roarke dropped after his game at Subi?

Yes - but we were tanking that game which was why he played.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Makes us too top heavy, Roughy & Campbell aren't KPPs and Minson hasn't had much of an impact around the ground in the VFL.

He ripped Mummy to shreds last year though. Essentially it'd be Minson for Redpath, and flexible positions for defence or attack. Redders has shown us Stringer needs another big body around him to be more damaging.

Otherwise, Hamling might have to go to full forward.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Hammers and Jong in put Roberts at full forward

Bulldog4life
16-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Out Boyd and Redders. In Collins and Hamling. Gives us the flexibilty to play either Roberts or Hamling forward while having Collins to play on Patton who he competed well against in the Nab Cup.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Really don't like the sound of having Minson, Roughead and Campbell in the same side.

The only thing worse than having a lack of quality talls in your side is having talls who are a liability.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 08:08 PM
It would have its moments of fun to watch though....

Bulldog Joe
16-05-2016, 08:22 PM

With all due respect, Roughead has played plenty as a KPD and we may need a tall to combat Lobb and Patton.

Minson was very good against Mumford last year and his VFL stats support a view that he is contributing strongly there.

His presence would give more option to allow Campbell to play longer periods forward, which probably helps Stringer.

Overall it is a balance of what players bring and the match-ups this week make me think Minson is a good option.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Out- M.Boyd, Redpath, Dale
In- Jong, Collins, Stevens/Honeychurch

We need to accept we can't replace what we have lost and try to further build on strengths. As an example, bringing in Minson to free up Campbell to play forward will hurt us way more mobility wise than it will help us structurally.

Collins down back frees us up a bit to pinch hit will Roberts/Campell as targets to help out Stringer. So basically we have...
- Collins, Wood, Morris down back. Wood, Morris + 1 tall defender have been part of our best defensive set up. We need to focus on our strength, ball movement. Hamling or whoever will probably get beaten anyway, at least with Wood and co. we can possibly get them on rebound
- Roughy and Roberts as the swingmen. See what works.
- Campbell w/ Roughy as support to take Mummy. They have done the job on Goldy and Gawn so far. A real team ruck combo.
- With bigger bodies out, replacing Dale with Stevens/Jong/Honeychurch will hopefully do it's little part.

hujsh
16-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Koby, Hrovat close to return

Koby Stevens could return to football this weekend when the Bulldogs travel to Sydney to take on the GWS Giants.

Speaking to westernbulldogs.com.au, General Manager of Football Graham Lowe said Stevens was back into full training after his return from injury.

“Koby’s progressed well from his abdominal strain," Lowe said.

“He’s back into full training and he’ll have to tick the appropriate boxes this week to make himself available for selection.”

Clay Smith is another making good headway in the rehab group returning from an ACL injury.

“Clay is back into full training which is a key milestone from an ACL perspective so, really pleased with his progress.

“He’s still got a number of weeks left to finish his rehab but he’s making some great progress.”

Marcus Adams will miss at least another week with a finger complaint, while third-year defender Zaine Cordy will spend some time on the sidelines after suffering an ankle injury at training.

“Zaine got a high right ankle sprain on Thursday at training, so he’s going to be three to four weeks out of the game,” he said.

“[But] Marcus is progressing well from his finger surgery.

“He won’t be available, so he’ll miss this week, but we’ll review his progress next week.”

In encouraging news, Lowe said that Matthew Suckling is back running and is expected to return to action in a couple of weeks’ time.

“It’s a key milestone, [but] he’s still a couple of weeks away so we’ll continue to progress him but he’s certainly going well.”

Nathan Hrovat is one step closer to making his return, with Lowe indicating the midfielder will be subject to a fitness test.

Some clarity over Adams and Koby here.

Good to hear some news on Clay as well

comrade
16-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Geez, so many niggling injuries costing us big weeks on the sidelines. 4 weeks for an ankle sprain? At least 2 for an ab strain and likely to be 1 more. 2 for a finger. Shocking luck.

Any coincidence that our injury rates have sky rocketed with the introduction of a new fitness chief?

azabob
16-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Geez, so many niggling injuries costing us big weeks on the sidelines. 4 weeks for an ankle sprain? At least 2 for an ab strain and likely to be 1 more. 2 for a finger. Shocking luck.

Any coincidence that our injury rates have sky rocketed with the introduction of a new fitness chief?

But they are not soft tissue as such, so I dont think so.

comrade
16-05-2016, 10:30 PM
But they are not soft tissue as such, so I dont think so.

Also referring to rehab and recovery time.

always right
16-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Not sure how you connected your theory with the three particular injuries quoted.

FrediKanoute
16-05-2016, 11:06 PM
I would only make forced changes - out Boyd and Redders - in Webb and Jong - if we go with like for likes (as much as we can go like for like); or Hamling and Jong if we want to play an extra tall down back

comrade
16-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Not sure how you connected your theory with the three particular injuries quoted.

I wish it was only 3 injuries.

My main concern is the long recovery time. Boyd has been gone for ages, Hrovat the same.

Just asking the question.

Drunken Bum
16-05-2016, 11:41 PM

Also referring to rehab and recovery time.

My main concern is the long recovery time. Boyd has been gone for ages, Hrovat the same.

Is it plausible that with our depth and faith in the game plan / structure we're just being really cautious with our recovery looking after our guys welfare and making sure they are cherry ripe or as close to it as possible before they return? I've wondered before if this kind of approach would be more beneficial to both the player and team in the long run.
Not implying clubs put players at risk intentionally but it does appear from the outside that quite often players come back underdone and occasionally re injure themselves when they do too.
A club with good depth and not a huge reliance on star power but more on the system and team effort would more be able to implement such a s system with the added advantage of being able to rotate our younger talent through the team to give them a taste and assess them at the highest level to see where they're at and who we can call on if needed later in the season and finals.
It's a long bow to draw i know but hey it's not totally out there is it.

azabob
17-05-2016, 07:06 AM

The other Unknown is the actual extent of the injury. What we are told may not be entirely true. Interesting observation, none the less.

1eyedog
17-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Clearly significant injuries.

Mantis
17-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Out- M.Boyd, Redpath, Dale
In- Jong, Collins, Stevens/Honeychurch

We need to accept we can't replace what we have lost and try to further build on strengths. As an example, bringing in Minson to free up Campbell to play forward will hurt us way more mobility wise than it will help us structurally.

Collins down back frees us up a bit to pinch hit will Roberts/Campell as targets to help out Stringer. So basically we have...
- Collins, Wood, Morris down back. Wood, Morris + 1 tall defender have been part of our best defensive set up. We need to focus on our strength, ball movement. Hamling or whoever will probably get beaten anyway, at least with Wood and co. we can possibly get them on rebound
- Roughy and Roberts as the swingmen. See what works.
- Campbell w/ Roughy as support to take Mummy. They have done the job on Goldy and Gawn so far. A real team ruck combo.
- With bigger bodies out, replacing Dale with Stevens/Jong/Honeychurch will hopefully do it's little part.

Against slow teams with average tall forwards... It's a different story this week.

GWS are quick both terms of ball movement and across the ground which will seriously hamper our ability to set up our defence as we did earlier in the season.

Whilst it's all good and well to say one soldier out, one in.. blah, blah, blah.. different personnel means different skill sets and we need to adapt to suit.

bornadog
17-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Out: Redpath MBoyd

In: Stevens, Tom Boyd (if not recovered, then Minson)

Ghost Dog
17-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Against slow teams with average tall forwards... It's a different story this week.

GWS are quick both terms of ball movement and across the ground which will seriously hamper our ability to set up our defence as we did earlier in the season.

Whilst it's all good and well to say one soldier out, one in.. blah, blah, blah.. different personnel means different skill sets and we need to adapt to suit.

Thought Melbourne were pretty quick and we handled it ok. Watched the Melbourne replay again on youtube.

I think Tom Cam could easily be a defensive player. In the first quarter he got 9 taps to 1 for Gawn and kept him to one handball around the grown. His defensive effort around the ground is good. Looks agile too,

LostDoggy
17-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Out-Redders,MBoyd

In-Stevens,Webb

1eyedog
17-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Can Tom Boyd come straight back in if he passes a fitness test?

azabob
17-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Thought Melbourne were pretty quick and we handled it ok. Watched the Melbourne replay again on youtube.

I think Tom Cam could easily be a defensive player. In the first quarter he got 9 taps to 1 for Gawn and kept him to one handball around the grown. His defensive effort around the ground is good. Looks agile too,

Melbourne forwards are not even in the same league or hemisphere compared to GWS forwards. Campbell isnt agile or quick enough to play in our defensive set up. Sorry GD cant see it working.

azabob
17-05-2016, 07:52 PM

I wouldnt have thought so, he really needs match fitness.
Having said yhat he is Still two weeks away.

Scraggers
17-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Out: Redpath MBoyd

In: Stevens, Tom Boyd (if not recovered, then Minson)

This is what I"m thinking too. I would love to play big Will and just sit him in a pocket and ruck the forward zone only. He can clunk a contested mark and isn't a bad shot at goals. It also frees up Roughhead to continue playing that versatile role swapping with Campbell.

comrade
17-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Not sure Will and clunking big marks are two things I'd associate with each other. :)

The Underdog
17-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Not sure Will and clunking big marks are two things I'd associate with each other. :)

Clunk means drop, right?

Scraggers
17-05-2016, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljks7F5wdlM

kruder
17-05-2016, 10:19 PM

Bevo said he is a few weeks away on Sunday and again today. There is no way he comes straight back into the team with his fitness base.

always right
17-05-2016, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljks7F5wdlM

Anything more recent?

Ghost Dog
17-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Melbourne forwards are not even in the same league or hemisphere compared to GWS forwards. Campbell isnt agile or quick enough to play in our defensive set up. Sorry GD cant see it working.

We seem to be getting done without really tall backs. I think TC is a bit more agile than people give him credit for. Watch him closely next game. He can protect the posts when sent back there on set shots outside the 50. He can defend the long ball to the top of the square. Maybe not a defensive position starter but has an important defensive aspect to his game.

GVGjr
17-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Bevo's pretty clear on the fact that Tom Boyd needs 2 weeks at Footscray because he has missed so much footy. I can't see him playing this week.

Bulldog Revolution
17-05-2016, 11:28 PM
In: Collins, Stevens, Webb, Jong

Out: Roberts, Dale, Boyd, Redpath

lemmon
18-05-2016, 01:01 AM
We really should be looking at drafting and developing another key forward this year, this week is proving that two big marking forwards (I don't put Crameri or Stringer into this category) isn't enough backup.

Scraggers
18-05-2016, 01:16 AM
Anything more recent?

I was pretty happy I found that one !!

Remi Moses
18-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Wonder if Lucas Webb might get a gig this week ?

Mantis
18-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Would Bevo be crazy enough to play Declan Hamilton?

Noticed he was voted by the players as MVP last week and Bevo made to many mentions of a 1st gamer playing this week in yesterday's press conference for it not to be true.. Whilst Collins seems the obvious one given the height of the GWS forwards I just wonder if the MC are looking at Hamilton too.

always right
18-05-2016, 09:57 AM
I wonder if Hamilton is one of those blokes who will look a whole lot better with good senior players around him. Blokes like him tend not to dominate in the lesser grade.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Bevo mentioned in his presser something along the lines of the 2 forced changes and possibly one other change. I think 3 changes could be the way they'll go.

Axe Man
18-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Old Dog Minson may have his day against Giants (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-17/old-dog-minson-may-have-his-day-against-giants)

VETERAN Will Minson is in line to play his first AFL game of the season in the Western Bulldogs' much-anticipated clash against GWS on Sunday.

Minson hasn't been sighted at senior level since last year's elimination final loss to Adelaide and Luke Beveridge said the 31-year-old's previous good form against Giants' big man Shane Mumford counted in his favour.

While Minson lost the hit-out count in round nine last year, his aggression and bulk at the stoppages didn't allow Mumford to have his normal impact in the Dogs' 45-point win.

"We'll consider (Will) definitely, but we'll make a decision on that on Thursday," Beveridge said of a player who had 57 hit outs in the VFL on the weekend.

"He dominated the ruck and as the game went on (Footscray) got more and more out of his dominance.

"He played really, really well in the corresponding game last year and that will go in his favour."

Minson's inclusion would allow versatile big man Jordan Roughead to help Dale Morris and Fletcher Roberts contain a Giants attack featuring Jeremy Cameron, Jon Patton, and Rory Lobb.

18-year-old key defender Kieran Collins may also be handed a debut to help curb the in-form trio.

With Matthew Boyd missing through suspension, Beveridge conceded his reserve of running defenders was just about dry.

But he forecast the possible return of midfielder Koby Stevens from an abdominal strain that saw the much-improved 24-year-old miss the past two weeks.

"We've almost lost our pool of higher defenders, there's no one really left at VFL level to come in at the moment," Beveridge said.

"But we think Koby will be available, so that's great."

While he refused to divulge the nature of the "chat" he had with Boyd and Jack Redpath after the duo's one-week MRP bans, Beveridge was happy to admit he was "stoked" with his young midfield's performance in the win over Melbourne.

He said the strong form of Tom Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus, Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis and others was helping cover for the club's injury-ravaged backline.

"In surfing terms I was stoked," the avid surfer said.

"For our mids to be so prolific with Tom, 'Dahl', 'Bonti', 'Wally' (Liam Picken), Jack Macrae and all the other boys who went through there were quite outstanding.

"They've all picked up the challenge and I think they want to be known as one of the strongest midfield groups in the competition.

"We'll need the same against GWS."

Ghost Dog
18-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Be happy for Will to get his chance.
Watched the game again last night. Bont is one of the most creative in and under midfielders going around and one has to really watch a replay and slow it down to appreciate it. Just finds a way to get it out of an impossible situation.
Love to see us play a wild card and blood Collins.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Be happy for Will to get his chance.
Watched the game again last night. Bont is one of the most creative in and under midfielders going around and one has to really watch a replay and slow it down to appreciate it. Just finds a way to get it out of an impossible situation.
Love to see us play a wild card and blood Adams.

You mean Collins

Ghost Dog
18-05-2016, 12:31 PM
You mean Collins

Yes! Dad. Excuse me.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Yes! Dad. Excuse me.

Is that you Dermie :D

F'scary
18-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I like the idea of Roughead going to the backline to take care of Patton.

Minson to come in as 1st ruck for Redpath.

Campbell FP/CHF changing ruck.

KT31
18-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I like the idea of Roughead going to the backline to take care of Patton.

Minson to come in as 1st ruck for Redpath.

Campbell FP/CHF changing ruck.

I can live with this, Campbell will at least give us a tall target up forward.
He does need to convert his opportunities though.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I can live with this, Campbell will at least give us a tall target up forward.
He does need to convert his opportunities though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went with this.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Right. Missed some very gettable opportunities this season.

1eyedog
18-05-2016, 05:06 PM
I think Campbell can play long minutes forward if Will comes into the team. TC's tank is building - love how he outran Gawn to get on the receiving end of that kick deep in the last to flick it over the top for a late goal.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 05:09 PM
I think Campbell can play long minutes forward if Will comes into the team.

Agree - We don't want to go in with the same structure as the North game.

GVGjr
18-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Wonder if Lucas Webb might get a gig this week ?

He's not mentioning him at all. I'd lean slightly towards a doubtful call up

Rocco Jones
18-05-2016, 08:46 PM
The problem with playing Campbell forward isn't just his agility/mobility, it's that AND his inability to convert his chances. If he could be a reasonable chance to nail his chances, his ability to clunk a mark would make him a decent enough forward target with Redpath and T Boyd out. I think we have little choice anyway as he beats Stringer/Fletcher Roberts at key forward target (obviously I think String is a gun, just much better when he isn't playing the main tall guy role).

1eyedog
18-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm missing Crammers more and more as the year goes on. He's a gun and alongside Stringer they are almost unstoppable.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-05-2016, 10:22 PM
The problem with playing Campbell forward isn't just his agility/mobility, it's that AND his inability to convert his chances. If he could be a reasonable chance to nail his chances, his ability to clunk a mark would make him a decent enough forward target with Redpath and T Boyd out. I think we have little choice anyway as he beats Stringer/Fletcher Roberts at key forward target (obviously I think String is a gun, just much better when he isn't playing the main tall guy role).
Campbell has emerged as our best ruck man and neither he or Minson appeal as a key forward. Roughead looked ordinary when forced to play in defence last week and the combination of he and Campbell in the ruck has been a success. I would prefer to see Hamling tried forward and if need be interchange with Roberts in a forward/ defence role. The danger is that playing Campbell Minson and Roughead in the same team makes us look top heavy.

Happy Days
18-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Anyone think that Hogan played a good game for Melbourne on the weekend? Me neither.

When playing as a full time forward, your game is almost wholly dictated by your kicking at goal. I just don't trust Campbell in front of goal at the moment, and his finishing totally negates anything else he might do. I don't think Will can come in if Campbell forward full time is the result.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Redpath to just suit up and play is a good chance. Whose going to stop him?

Ozza
19-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Those of you suggesting Minson, Campbell & Roughead in the same side must have short memories!

No thanks.

comrade
19-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Those of you suggesting Minson, Campbell & Roughead in the same side must have short memories!

No thanks.

Prepare yourself. It's not from the usual Bevo playbook but is a definite possibility.

G-Mo77
19-05-2016, 10:13 AM

No thanks.

It's scary. That being said I don't want to go in with a lineup like we had against Hawthorn and Norf. We need a big target up there with Jake and Dicko. Maybe Collins in, Roberts forward?

Either way it's not ideal at all.

Ozza
19-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Prepare yourself. It's not from the usual Bevo playbook but is a definite possibility.

I always prepare to be surprised by selection! Its funny that this thread makes it to plenty of pages worth of posts every week in speculation - and we never get any closer to being on the same page as Bevo.

hujsh
19-05-2016, 10:49 AM
I always prepare to be surprised by selection! Its funny that this thread makes it to plenty of pages worth of posts every week in speculation - and we never get any closer to being on the same page as Bevo.

We were one week. I remember it pretty much went as expected. Which was shocking in and of itself.

LostDoggy
19-05-2016, 10:56 AM
My nostalgia remembers TC as a better kick for goal than we have seen recently.

I know zilch as to the intentions of the match committee, for all I know we will bring in a small to cover Red.

Mofra
19-05-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm missing Crammers more and more as the year goes on. He's a gun and alongside Stringer they are almost unstoppable.
He's an elite runner too which would be very handy in the modern era of interchange caps. Given he won a club goalkicking award at AFL level 4 years in a row he'll be a fantastic addition o our best 22 next year.

The Pie Man
19-05-2016, 11:51 AM
It's scary. That being said I don't want to go in with a lineup like we had against Hawthorn and Norf. We need a big target up there with Jake and Dicko. Maybe Collins in, Roberts forward?

Either way it's not ideal at all.

I think a lot of us wonder if Fletcher could make it as a forward given his marking ability - though I also recall two passages of play from Collins' draft video where he played forward and converted nicely from the set shot after having a lead honored.

Would seem silly to debut at FF when you've spent most of your junior career and *all of your VFL career to date at FB, but from the limited sample, he looked to have some forward clues.

* I haven't seen a lot of VFL so far this year, though I believe this is the case

Rocco Jones
19-05-2016, 02:18 PM
I think we will definitely see a tall replace Redpath up forward, whether it be Campbell or Roberts. Beveridge has talked about learning from the North game, this was the main lesson.

Mofra
19-05-2016, 03:21 PM
I think we will definitely see a tall replace Redpath up forward, whether it be Campbell or Roberts. Beveridge has talked about learning from the North game, this was the main lesson.
Yep was pretty obvious that game getting smashed for almost every F50 entry.
Campbell is the tall most likely to take grabs forward and actually kick a goal or two. I'd favour him forward as he's slightly less terrible kicking for goal than Roughy.

bornadog
19-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Campbell is the tall most likely to take grabs forward and actually kick a goal or two. I'd favour him forward as he's slightly less terrible kicking for goal than Roughy.

I think Roughie and Tom will alternate between ruck and forward. Hamling to come in to help in the backline and Stevens straight in.

So my new thoughts are:

In Hamling (knowing Bevo it will be Dad), plus Stevens
Out: Redpath Boyd.

Roberts lucky to hold his spot as is Dale.

Mantis
19-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Might need to have 5-10 shots on goal for this to come to fruition.

Think this role is more about the ability to compete for the long ball and hopefully keep the ball in rather than to hit the scoreboard.

hujsh
19-05-2016, 04:00 PM

Talk about damning with faint praise...

bornadog
19-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Rory Lobb a possible out

Bulldog4life
19-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Rory Lobb a possible out

I like that

1eyedog
19-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Rory Lobb a possible out

Good out - he's been clunking them and kicking goals. Means we only have Patton and Cameron to worry about :eek:

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Good out - he's been clunking them and kicking goals. Means we only have Patton and Cameron to worry about :eek:

Don't be so sure of it. Cameron made it sound like he's likely to play, they're just giving him lighter duties this week. Could be a curve ball yes but expecting him to play

Bulldog Joe
19-05-2016, 04:45 PM

I think they will find someone to replace Lobb.

Axe Man
19-05-2016, 04:45 PM

I'm not too worried about Patton - 8 goals in 7 games. Cameron on the other hand... Stevie J has kicked a few as well.

Mantis
19-05-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm not too worried about Patton - 8 goals in 7 games. Cameron on the other hand... Stevie J has kicked a few as well.

19 in 8 games.. Getting lots of goals from their small forwards (Palmer & Greene) as well as mids.

Concentrating only on their talls will lead to problems at ground level so we need to get our match-ups right and not commit too many players to aerial contests unless they can either win or kill the ball.

1eyedog
19-05-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm ready for anything and I guess we'll know re. Lobb in a few hours. If it means that one of their first choice forward is out and they have to reshuffle it's a small win for us.

Re. Patton we are just the team to kick a bag against. I hope we've dropped the play an opposition forward into form scenario.

bornadog
19-05-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm ready for anything and I guess we'll know re. Lobb in a few hours. If it means that one of their first choice forward is out and they have to reshuffle it's a small win for us.

Re. Patton we are just the team to kick a bag against. I hope we've dropped the play an opposition forward into form scenario.

Thomlinson could be a possible replacement if Lobb doesn't come up.

Bulldog4life
19-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Sam Landsberger just tweeted.

Think Kieran Collins plays, giving the Dogs 11 debutants in 32 Luke Beveridge games. Incredible. Refreshing disregard of birth certificates

1eyedog
19-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Sam Landsberger just tweeted.

Think Kieran Collins plays, giving the Dogs 11 debutants in 32 Luke Beveridge games. Incredible. Refreshing disregard of birth certificates

The baby Bulldogs

bornadog
19-05-2016, 07:23 PM
In Minson, Stevens, Jong, HC and Collins

Out Boyd, Redpath

Mantis
19-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Collins and Stevens named on the ground so definite ins.

Mofra
19-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Interesting bench -Daniel & McLean are locks surely, Williams and Minson?

Axe Man
19-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Extended Bench: Toby McLean, Mitch Honeychurch, Will Minson, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong.

You would think McLean, Daniel & Williams hold their spots, so it's down to HC, Will, Dale or Jong for the final spot?

comrade
19-05-2016, 07:44 PM
I think Minson plays, making it our tallest team of the year. My preference would be Roberts to play forward exclusively and tie up a defender but who knows what we'll do.

G-Mo77
19-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Stevens, Collins and Will are my guesses.

Outs: Boyd, Redpath, Dale

comrade
19-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Really don't want to break up Camhead.

Eastdog
19-05-2016, 07:51 PM
They look like good inclusions. We need some more players back but it has been great to be playing really well despite our injuries this year.

Eastdog
19-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Who will complement Jake in the forward line.

jeemak
19-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Perhaps we have one or two under a cloud and haven't publicised it.

I don't want to see Campbell, Minson and Roughead in the same side, and would be happy to back Wood, Morris and Collins on the GWS forwards and see how our team defence accounts for their midfield drive.

Daniel is a must, and Stevens gets a game if fit. I'd take HC over Jong, I think he's been consistently good enough to earn a spot in the 22 whilst Jong has already had an opportunity. Williams stays in for his second game.

SquirrelGrip
19-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Who's going to present number 32 to Dad?

- Peter Foster
- Ian Dunstan
- Craig Ellis
- Michael Talia
- Harvey Stevens

Or didn't John Schultz first wear #32 before changing to #14?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-05-2016, 08:44 PM
We passed on Fozzy's son, Mocca left us for more money at Norf, Ellis is in Spain, Talia and Stevens aren't talking to us. Awkward

Remi Moses
19-05-2016, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't think Peter Foster would have an issue with the club .

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-05-2016, 08:56 PM
I hope not I used to see him at our games with Beaza

Axe Man
19-05-2016, 09:00 PM
My vote is with Andrew McDougall!

Rocco Jones
19-05-2016, 09:30 PM
We are going to be forced into an option/options that are far ideal, what's hope we pick the least worst one.

ratsmac
19-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Minson is a good match for Mummy and towelled him up last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in and rotates with Roughy with Campbell playing mainly at full forward. If it's not working well they could send Roughy forward or back and Campbell and Minson rotate. Maybe risky having 3 ruckman but at least it keeps a tall defender away from Stringer. Who ever plays forward must mark it or at the very least big the ball to ground. I still have nightmares of Thompson and Tarrent jumping over or in front of Stringer and sending it ball out of the 50 quicker than it arrived. We need a tall at full forward to keep a positive structure giving our forwards a chance. Mobility will be the biggest issue.

Out : Boyd, Redpath, Dale

In: Collins, Stevens, Minson

F'scary
19-05-2016, 10:42 PM
out: Boyd, Redpath, Dale, Williams

in: Collins, Stevens, Minson, Jong.

I think we need Minson (for Dale) because Campbell or Roughead will have to go forward and it will create the option of putting Roughead on a tall GWS forward.

This is going to be a very hard game, no room for skinny second gamers when there is a seasoned, big mid hard head like Jong who got BOG in the VFL the week before. So Jong in for Williams.

ledge
19-05-2016, 10:54 PM
I see Hrovat and Stevens are back .. Hopefully more next week, suckling and Boyd ?

Axe Man
19-05-2016, 11:04 PM
No way can Roughy go back with Roberts, Collins and Morris already back there. It would make us far too immobile and rob us of rebound. Unless Roberts goes forward again, but I'm not keen on that idea either.

bornadog
19-05-2016, 11:30 PM
I thought Williams had a good solid debut last week and must stay in.

The Underdog
19-05-2016, 11:47 PM
I thought Williams had a good solid debut last week and must stay in.

Agree, looked composed mostly and used it well. I wouldn't have Minson in. Would go Williams, McLean, Daniel and either Dale or Honeychurch on the bench.

Rocket Science
20-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Is Hamling even a thing anymore?

Starting to feel like we'd willingly field a 21-man side if it came to that rather than name him.

His form must be diabolical.

merantau
20-05-2016, 07:08 AM
I would play Minson. I really believe in the psychological factor in sport. Some players have the ability to feed off past good performances and we know how well Minson pantsed Mummy last outing.

comrade
20-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Is Hamling even a thing anymore?

Starting to feel like we'd willingly field a 21-man side if it came to that rather than name him.

His form must be diabolical.

It's not diabolical it's just not great. Get the feeling we see him more as the third tall, competing with the likes of Morris and Wood , rather than a true key defender.

Mantis
20-05-2016, 09:48 AM
I have our bench as : Toby McLean, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong.

Wouldn't be completely unhappy with HC coming for McLean either.. HC might add a bit of energy up forward if Toby isn't 100%.

Happy for Roughy, Roberts & TC to rotate through the forwardline with one of them down there at all times.. Not hoping for much output on the scoreboard, just some strong competing.

Ozza
20-05-2016, 02:41 PM
I think our only change on top of the two already made - will be Jong for either Dale or Mclean (depending who they think is showing signs of needing a rest).

Joel Corey highlighted Jong a fair bit on a video on the bulldogs app - would be surprised if he doesn't play.
Surely it is 100-1 for us to play Minson.
Although its such a ridiculous suggestion that it might end up happening.

bornadog
20-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Final Team

In: Collins, Stevens, Jong

Out: Redpath, Boyd, Dale

chef
20-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Good changes I guess. Glad we didn't bring in an extra ruck.

G-Mo77
20-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Very surprised no Will, not upset just surprised.

Roberts forward? Resting ruck play forward pocket?

I'm really worried about the small forward line.

Remi Moses
20-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Real tough mid battle is going to take place, and we win that ,and we can take this .
Happy they didn't go with Will, as the side would be to top heavy .
Redpath and Boyd's stupidity has hurt us .

comrade
20-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Very surprised no Will, not upset just surprised.

Roberts forward? Resting ruck play forward pocket?

I'm really worried about the small forward line.

We've gone tall down back so hopefully Rough and Campbell camp out deep forward when not rucking. Even Jong's presence as a permanent forward may be required just to tie up a defender.

Bevo would have learnt plenty from the North game.

bornadog
20-05-2016, 06:39 PM
We've gone tall down back so hopefully Rough and Campbell camp out deep forward when not rucking. Even Jong's presence as a permanent forward may be required just to tie up a defender.

Bevo would have learnt plenty from the North game.
made same error with Hawks match. Only two game Stringer didn't kick a goal

Rocco Jones
20-05-2016, 11:39 PM
I think we will go with Collins, Morris, Wood + Roughy when not working against their talls

I see Roberts playing mostly up forward. If he really struggles there, maybe he moves down back with Roughy getting more ruck time to release Campbell forward.

jeemak
21-05-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm tipping the one-out, one-in strategy will be employed to start the game as far as the backline is concerned, meaning all of Collins, Roberts and Morris will line up there. If our midfield keeps up its end of the bargain then I don't see that changing too much.

My greatest hope is that if we go short in the forward line we move the ball with more consideration than we did against Norf. Even if we get beaten this week, I don't want it to be influenced by kicking the ball haphazardly into our fifty.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2016, 06:48 AM
I'm tipping the one-out, one-in strategy will be employed to start the game as far as the backline is concerned, meaning all of Collins, Roberts and Morris will line up there. If our midfield keeps up its end of the bargain then I don't see that changing too much.

My greatest hope is that if we go short in the forward line we move the ball with more consideration than we did against Norf. Even if we get beaten this week, I don't want it to be influenced by kicking the ball haphazardly into our fifty.

I'm not convinced we're going to be able to rely on our repeat entries as much this week because GWS have speed and skill - they'll take us on bringing it out of the backline in a manner we probably haven't seen yet this year - meaning we need to improve our entries, particularly with a small set up.

With Koby back and Jong in, we have two more mid-sized players who are capable overhead, so hopefully we look to have them spend some time forward, along with Bontempelli when he's not on the ball. If we can isolate any of those 3, along with Stringer and Dickson in 1:1's, we should be confident our guys can win the contest and impact the scoreboard.

Looking forward to seeing how we go against a side that's really up and about.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2016, 10:58 AM
If scoring dries up, happy to throw Jake into the midfield to try and crack the dam wall. All eyes will be on Adcock to see if he does what we got him for - Leadership - and he's been showing incremental improvement so here's hoping.