PDA

View Full Version : Double MRP blow for Dogs: Boyd and Redpath offered bans

bornadog
16-05-2016, 06:05 PM
THE WESTERN Bulldogs are set to lose two players for Sunday's clash against Greater Western Sydney, with Matthew Boyd and Jack Redpath offered one-match suspensions.

The loss of Boyd adds to an injury crisis in the backline, with Bob Murphy (knee), Jason Johannisen (hamstring), Matthew Suckling (knee) and Marcus Adams (finger) all unavailable to face the third-placed Giants.

Boyd chose to bump Melbourne defender Tom Bugg after he'd disposed of the ball and followed through with a stray elbow to his opponent's face.

The incident was graded intentional conduct with low impact to the face.

Boyd is one of three players facing bans, with Redpath and Demon Neville Jetta also hit with one-match bans.

Redpath has been charged with kneeing Demon Ben Kennedy, with the MRP grading the incident as intentional conduct with low impact to the head.

Melbourne had mixed fortunes at the MRP, with Jetta set to miss the Demons' clash against the Brisbane Lions for a behind-the-play strike to Bulldogs midfielder Marcus Bontempelli's head.

Teammate Bernie Vince, however, was cleared for a high bump on Western Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis when he had his head over the ball.

The MRP deemed there was insufficient force to Wallis' head to constitute a report.

Demon Cameron Pedersen can accept a $1500 fine for engaging in rough conduct with Bulldog Fletcher Roberts.

It was the second classifiable offence committed by Pederson this season, increasing his fine by $500.

link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-16/double-mrp-blow-for-dogs-boyd-and-redpath-offered-bans)

Ozza
16-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Horror result.

Scraggers
16-05-2016, 06:11 PM
I thought Boyd might be in trouble; no problems ... Happy to wear that one. Redpath's incident? I still can't see that he did anything wrong. I actually thought he should have got a free kick.

As for the Bernie Vince incident ... Absolute joke !!! What happened to the head is sacred????

cinder
16-05-2016, 06:18 PM
MRP have lost the plot ...

Bulldog4life
16-05-2016, 06:20 PM
I wonder if either will appeal

GVGjr
16-05-2016, 06:24 PM
I think most of us thought M.Boyd would get suspended and while it's a shame to lose one of our best players this season I think we have to accept it. Hopefully Suckling is ready to go.

Shame to lose Redpath and there is no real easy replacement for him. Looks like we will go into the game with the smaller forward set-up. I don't believe T.Boyd will be ready to return until he has played at least one game at Footscray.

SonofScray
16-05-2016, 06:38 PM
I need to see the footage, can't recall there being anything on game day worthy of a suspension. Even the Strike on Bontempelli while uncalled for didn't phase me in the current climate where those acts are ignored and incidental contact gets crucified.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Boyd deserves a week, but how Vince gets off for something equally as bad is astonishing.

Redpath should appeal.

G-Mo77
16-05-2016, 06:49 PM
I had a good angle of it. He dropped the knees, not sure if it connected or not but that was what the 50 was for. Should have been overturned when Bonts got whacked right in front of the umpire.

KT31
16-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Any footage of the Redpath incident ?
Even the AFL sight only has the Jetta and Vince incidents.

LostDoggy
16-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Well next sundays match will be terrifying.

Testekill
16-05-2016, 07:25 PM
I had a good angle of it. He dropped the knees, not sure if it connected or not but that was what the 50 was for. Should have been overturned when Bonts got whacked right in front of the umpire.

It looks like Kennedy had grabbed Redpaths legs while he was standing up which caused Redpath to fall, you could hear Jack through the umpires mic say that he was tripped.

Cyberdoggie
16-05-2016, 07:29 PM
How did Vince get off?

He went the bump, got him in the head. pretty clear to me.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Yes, I thought the Vince one should have been def noted. Not happy.
Not to defend Melbourne in any way, but I thought the strike on Bont was not really worthy of a week. I may be alone in this but the player reacted as if to shake off a grab, walking backwards. I didn't think he intentionally meant to wack him in the face.
If the head is THAT sacrosanct, then Vince surely must also spend a week on the pine.

G-Mo77
16-05-2016, 07:50 PM
It looks like Kennedy had grabbed Redpaths legs while he was standing up which caused Redpath to fall, you could hear Jack through the umpires mic say that he was tripped.

Wonder if we'll appeal it then. It did look like, from my angle, Jack deliberately tried to drop knees on him.

Edit: Just saw the footage of it. Take the 1 week on both counts and load up for Round 10.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-16/double-mrp-blow-for-dogs-boyd-and-redpath-offered-bans

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2016, 08:04 PM
How did Cunnington avoid suspension for dropping his knees into the back of Gary Ablett a few weeks ago, yet Redpath gets offered a week?

Bulldog Joe
16-05-2016, 08:28 PM
I would appeal both. There was very little contact in the Boyd incident and I'm not sure the footage on the Redpath incident is very conclusive.

The risk of 2 games is not that serious as we should have injured players returning for the Collingwood match.

Remi Moses
16-05-2016, 08:39 PM
I thought Boyd would get a week, but how does Vince get off?
It's chooklotto again, and you get the Cunnington deliberate knees in the back, and he gets a fine .

SonofScray
16-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Boyd I think you have to wear, he elbowed Bugg in the head after the ball had gone. Not malicious but I can see why that gets you a holiday.

Redpath, on paper sounds like the sort of thing I'd like to see get dealt with instead of bumps that cause incidental high contact, but I can't actually see what the issue was? He is tangled up trying to get up?

Vince is very lucky in the current climate. Jetta a bit stiff too given the current climate, but that is exactly the sort of stuff that should get looked at. Not a skill of the game.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Boyd I think you have to wear, he elbowed Bugg in the head after the ball had gone. Not malicious but I can see why that gets you a holiday.

Redpath, on paper sounds like the sort of thing I'd like to see get dealt with instead of bumps that cause incidental high contact, but I can't actually see what the issue was? He is tangled up trying to get up?

Vince is very lucky in the current climate. Jetta a bit stiff too given the current climate, but that is exactly the sort of stuff that should get looked at. Not a skill of the game.

The only redeeming part of the Redders/Jetta/Bonts play was that Jake Stringer saw it and went in hard to fly the flag. A few recent times I've thought we've been bullied a bit (Hawks & North come to mind) and not pushed them back. As a young side you don't expect them to be the more physical or dirty group at a this point, and I'm not talking about getting suspended either, but to see some guys give it back for their team mates was nice to see. Other than that, it was a shite piece of play for pretty much all 4 players down there with two whacked in the head and two now suspended.

jeemak
16-05-2016, 09:39 PM
We weren't going to get any leniency coming up against GWS this week. The AFL will move heaven and earth to see them consolidate themselves in the top four.

They'll spit chips when we beat them with a third of our preferred 22 out.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 09:40 PM
We weren't going to get any leniency coming up against GWS this week. The AFL will move heaven and earth to see them consolidate themselves in the top four.

They'll spit chips when we beat them with a third of our preferred 22 out.

Love this sentiment JM. Backs to the wall win Dogs! They can expect tooth and nail. We are a dour, well drilled side that does not say die.

I think given we are missing so many guys, Bevo can really pull in a few wild cards. Nothing to lose.

The bulldog tragician
16-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Love this sentiment JM. Backs to the wall win Dogs! They can expect tooth and nail. We are a dour, well drilled side that does not say die.
I like the sentiment, but 'dour' is the last adjective you'd ever associate with us, surely? We are playing a dynamic, attacking, fast break style. Dour means Ross Lyon's painful defensive style teams to me!

As for the MRP, I could cop it if Vince was suspended. His act was a really dangerous one which could have had really dreadful consequences.

SonofScray
16-05-2016, 09:46 PM
The Bont getting all sorts of heat from Melbourne and you guessed it, Norf, fans for going down after being struck on the schnoz. Apparently he has a glass jaw, is a weak POS etc. Crazy stuff.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Agree, was dangerous and I'm disappointed by the decision.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 09:58 PM
I like the sentiment, but 'dour' is the last adjective you'd ever associate with us, surely? We are playing a dynamic, attacking, fast break style. Dour means Ross Lyon's painful defensive style teams to me!

As for the MRP, I could cop it if Vince was suspended. His act was a really dangerous one which could have had really dreadful consequences.

Mirriam Webster defines dour as being
1: stern, harsh
2: obstinate, unyielding

I'll go with number 2.

bornadog
16-05-2016, 11:17 PM
I would appeal both. There was very little contact in the Boyd incident and I'm not sure the footage on the Redpath incident is very conclusive.

The risk of 2 games is not that serious as we should have injured players returning for the Collingwood match.

Looking at it I agree,

The Pie Man
17-05-2016, 08:18 AM
I hope they're giving serious thought to challenging the Redpath suspension, looks more like he tripped.

If that was deliberate though, it should get more than one week.

westdog54
17-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Boyd needs to cop this one, it looked terrible on first glance.

Sets up another massive test for our backline.

LostDoggy
17-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Boyd got a week because Bugg went down like a sack of spuds despite very minimal contact (got more his neck than head)

Vince got off because Wallis got straight back up. If he stayed down like Bugg it would be different.

Just pathetic really.

bornadog
17-05-2016, 10:11 AM
I hope we challenge both of these, to me nothing in it.

Ozza
17-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Hope Redpath challenges his. Boyd's was a suspension, no problems with that.

always right
17-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Based on the footage I think we should challenge the Redpath one, even to get it downgraded to careless......

...but when I saw it live at the game I had no doubt that Redpath intentionally roughed up the Melbourne player with his knees. Silly really.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-05-2016, 10:27 AM
it's the consistency here that irritates me. Accept that Boyd gets a week but surely Vince gets at least that! How he got cleared i will never know. His hit to the head is exactly what needs to be stamped out.

Twodogs
17-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Boyd got a week because Bugg went down like a sack of spuds despite very minimal contact (got more his neck than head)

Vince got off because Wallis got straight back up. If he stayed down like Bugg it would be different.

Just pathetic really.

That's about the difference. Wally gets up and plays on.

bornadog
17-05-2016, 12:24 PM
All players have accepted sanctions, tribunal won't sit tonight.

This is really disappointing and undisciplined when we have so many injuries.

LostDoggy
17-05-2016, 12:56 PM
I think most of us thought M.Boyd would get suspended and while it's a shame to lose one of our best players this season I think we have to accept it. Hopefully Suckling is ready to go.

Shame to lose Redpath and there is no real easy replacement for him. Looks like we will go into the game with the smaller forward set-up. I don't believe T.Boyd will be ready to return until he has played at least one game at Footscray.

I have to respectfully disagree. Sacrificing our backbone and the benefit a tall forward brings to others in the forward line (Stringer the obvious one, Dickson as well) is far too heavy a price to pay simply to make a bloke "earn his stripes" in the twos.

If he's fit, he plays seniors. Yeah he was a way to go but he's a better option than a resting Roughead or Stringer two-out.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Boyd was gone. To suggest otherwise is bias on our behalf.

Didn't see Redpath's, but it compounds the loss in personnel this week. Disappointing and undisciplined as BAD says.

G-Mo77
17-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Boyd was gone. To suggest otherwise is bias on our behalf.

Didn't see Redpath's, but it compounds the loss in personnel this week. Disappointing and undisciplined as BAD says.

Disagree Boyd should have got a week in the bank for whacking that turd. :)

Redpath, as I've said a few times, I saw pretty well and not surprised by it. The footage doesn't show much but IMO his intent was to drop the knee into him. Very silly on his behalf.

Mantis
17-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Redpath, as I've said a few times, I saw pretty well and not surprised by it. The footage doesn't show much but IMO his intent was to drop the knee into him. Very silly on his behalf.

It's worse than that.. It's *!*!*!*!ing stupid.

Redpath (in a contract year) finally got a chance to play, was playing really well and now misses an important game due to a reckless action.. Whilst he will probably get another opportunity he really had the chance to cement his spot in the team and lock down his future at a club on the up.

Twodogs
17-05-2016, 04:30 PM
It's worse than that.. It's *!*!*!*!ing stupid.

Redpath (in a contract year) finally got a chance to play, was playing really well and now misses an important game due to a reckless action.. Whilst he will probably get another opportunity he really had the chance to cement his spot in the team and lock down his future at a club on the up.

So frustratingly dumb. Redpath had a chance to sew a spot up ahead of Boyd's return. Now when he comes back in a fortnight he is competing for a spot with Boyd,

Eastdog
17-05-2016, 06:33 PM
At least we have no further injury concerns from Sunday to add to our injury hit list as far as I know. This hurts with both players M Boyd and J Redpath - since coming in been very good. Would be a huge results to be GWS over there on their deck.

Remi Moses
17-05-2016, 07:35 PM
So frustratingly dumb. Redpath had a chance to sew a spot up ahead of Boyd's return. Now when he comes back in a fortnight he is competing for a spot with Boyd,

Lack of discipline from both , and I say M.Boyd just had his week off.

Twodogs
17-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Lack of discipline from both , and I say M.Boyd just had his week off.

Sorry mate. I meant Tom Boyd. Redpath and Boyd will be competing for the same spot.

Twodogs
17-05-2016, 08:08 PM
At least we have no further injury concerns from Sunday to add to our injury hit list as far was I know. This hurts with both players M Boyd and J Redpath - since coming in been very good. Would be a huge results to be GWS over there on their deck.

Don't speak to soon Easty. We have to get through a weeks training yet.

Eastdog
17-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Sorry mate. I meant Tom Boyd. Redpath and Boyd will be competing for the same spot.

Do you reckon they can compliment each other in the same team Twodogs? Redpath and Stringer in the forward is a very good combo. So much more structure and of course Crameri to come back next year.

Eastdog
17-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Don't speak to soon Easty. We have to get through a weeks training yet.

Yes true injury free hopefully.

F'scary
17-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Do you reckon they can compliment each other in the same team Twodogs? Redpath and Stringer in the forward is a very good combo. So much more structure and of course Crameri to come back next year.

I can see a line up with Toyd FP changing ruck with Campbell and Roughead playing back against the monster forwards. Redpath would be the FF and Stringer alternating between playing deep and taking a turn in the midfield or starting from HBF and going forward. Roughead could also take a turn in the ruck if required.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2016, 10:48 AM
I thought Redders looked a bit unlucky. From the small vision I saw the Melbourne player appeared to grab his leg before the incident.

Twodogs
18-05-2016, 11:56 AM
I thought Redders looked a bit unlucky. From the small vision I saw the Melbourne player appeared to grab his leg before the incident.

The footage must be a quirk or it shows something that didn't happen because it really does look like he gets pulled by the leg before he drops.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 12:00 PM
The footage must be a quirk or it shows something that didn't happen because it really does look like he gets pulled by the leg before he drops.

The trouble with the current MRP system is you risk an extra week if you lose the appeal. The club must have thought it was a 50/50 situation and didn't want to risk another week.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2016, 01:15 PM

Rather than pulled let's say tangled then

Twodogs
18-05-2016, 10:54 PM
The trouble with the current MRP system is you risk an extra week if you lose the appeal. The club must have thought it was a 50/50 situation and didn't want to risk another week.

I guess.

bornadog
18-05-2016, 11:45 PM
I guess.

I listened to Bevo's press conference today and he confirmed the club didn't want to risk the extra week if they lost.

Twodogs
19-05-2016, 12:30 AM
I listened to Bevo's press conference today and he confirmed the club didn't want to risk the extra week if they lost.

A wise move.

jeemak
19-05-2016, 12:44 AM
So the authoritarian AFL punishes you further if you waste their resources via a lost appeal that is resolved within a day of the original charge and penalty being levelled?

What a wank.

It essentially means any descent is seen as spurious if it's argued, though eventually defeated.*

*I already knew this and all of the above, just thought I'd go through the motion to point out how *!*!*!*!ing ridiculous the process is.

LostDoggy
19-05-2016, 09:32 AM
On the glass half full side of things, this is an interstate game so Boyd is probably due a week off to ensure against wear and tear and Redpath is a big man who has had his issues so an interstate trip after stringing a few together may have been less than ideal for him also.

I'd reckon GWS is probably the other list most capable of multiple flags in the coming years, so this week will be massive given all our outs, the game being in Sydney and GWS good form. A bold showing here will say plenty about where we are at.

SonofScray
19-05-2016, 09:41 AM
We're both the reports graded as intentional? I find that vey annoying given how reticent they have been to use it even in the face of the most deliberate, malicious acts we've seen in recent history.

Ozza
19-05-2016, 09:55 AM
So the authoritarian AFL punishes you further if you waste their resources via a lost appeal that is resolved within a day of the original charge and penalty being levelled?

What a wank.

It essentially means any descent is seen as spurious if it's argued, though eventually defeated.*

*I already knew this and all of the above, just thought I'd go through the motion to point out how *!*!*!*!ing ridiculous the process is.

It works the opposite way. Both players got 2 weeks, but accepting the MRP decision reduces it to 1 week.

bornadog
19-05-2016, 10:00 AM
It works the opposite way. Both players got 2 weeks, but accepting the MRP decision reduces it to 1 week.

No way those offences are worth 2 weeks. They have purposely given two to ensure there is no challenge and therefore denying the players justice.

G-Mo77
19-05-2016, 10:05 AM
No way those offences are worth 2 weeks. They have purposely given two to ensure there is no challenge and therefore denying the players justice.

I've always been big on intent of causing harm. Redpath wanted to drop the knees. The vision doesn't show him looking at the Melbourne player while he goes to do it. Fortunately he didn't hit him hard enough to cause injury. I'm guessing the field umpire had some say in this case as he thought it was enough to give 50M away. 2 down to 1 is a pretty good result. It was stupid and he deserved a suspension.

Boyd's was in play. He doesn't seem like the type to go out and whack someone, although it is Bugg, not sure on his priors but I can't think of any. 2 down to 1 was a bit harsh for him.

If they really felt they could have got either player off their charge I'm sure they would have tried even if it risked a 2 week layoff.

Ozza
19-05-2016, 10:09 AM
I've always been big on intent of causing harm. Redpath wanted to drop the knees. The vision doesn't show him looking at the Melbourne player while he goes to do it. Fortunately he didn't hit him hard enough to cause injury so 2 down to 1 is a pretty good result. It was stupid.

Boyd's was in play. He doesn't seem like the type to go out and whack someone, although it is Bugg, not sure on his priors but I can't think of any. 2 down to 1 was a bit harsh for him.

My thoughts on Boyd's at the time was 'It's worth 2 - he'll get one because he's got a long term good record'. He clearly forearmed Bugg to the head.

There were posters on here that wanted several weeks for Lindsay Thomas' high tackle!!

G-Mo77
19-05-2016, 10:11 AM
My thoughts on Boyd's at the time was 'It's worth 2 - he'll get one because he's got a long term good record'. He clearly forearmed Bugg to the head.

There were posters on here that wanted several weeks for Lindsay Thomas' high tackle!!

I didn't see it on the day. Once I saw the vision I knew he'd get rubbed out. 1 week is enough for it but I'll still argue that he should have a week credit for whacking Bugg.

KT31
19-05-2016, 10:14 AM
My issue is not with the penalty it is with the inconsistency, a couple of weeks ago a North player deliberately dropped two knees into Ablett and received no weeks off.

Ozza
19-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I didn't see it on the day. Once I saw the vision I knew he'd get rubbed out. 1 week is enough for it but I'll still argue that he should have a week credit for whacking Bugg.

Yes, at the time I did mutter that whacking Bugg was certainly worth getting suspended for a week. He's a germ.

Flamethrower
19-05-2016, 12:23 PM
The problem with the whole MRP system is that it prevents natural justice. There should be no discount for any early guilty plea, and every case should be heard by the tribunal so that the accused player gets to explain their case.

The fact that Matthew Boyd's incident was graded as intentional is a disgrace. The MRP has never graded an incident like that as intentional in the past when it is in play (ie not behind play), and not a deliberate punch or elbow to the head. They are always graded as careless. It should have been graded as careless, high and low impact = $1500 fine. This has been deliberately manipulated to ensure that Boyd is suspended this week.

It is more difficult to comment on the Redpath incident as the video evidence is inconclusive. Therefore the umpire's evidence would have had a major saying in the grading of the incident.

bornadog
19-05-2016, 01:01 PM
The problem with the whole MRP system is that it prevents natural justice. There should be no discount for any early guilty plea, and every case should be heard by the tribunal so that the accused player gets to explain their case.

The fact that Matthew Boyd's incident was graded as intentional is a disgrace. The MRP has never graded an incident like that as intentional in the past when it is in play (ie not behind play), and not a deliberate punch or elbow to the head. They are always graded as careless. It should have been graded as careless, high and low impact = $1500 fine. This has been deliberately manipulated to ensure that Boyd is suspended this week.

It is more difficult to comment on the Redpath incident as the video evidence is inconclusive. Therefore the umpire's evidence would have had a major saying in the grading of the incident.

My thoughts exactly. The way the penalties are dished out now there is no consistency. We have seen players get away with a dollar penalty for things like punching someone in the stomach behind play. In Redpath's case I would like to have heard from him what happened, as I don't trust the umpire saw what he thinks he saw.

I don't blame the club for accepting the penalty as risking another week is not worth it.

Twodogs
19-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Ive been arguing that for a while now. This is what happens when you leave something important to Adrian Anderson. At the time he said he was designing a tribunal system that would not have any problems with precedence because this system wasn't going to rely on it. and now we have problems with inconsistent findings. Its scary to think that he has a law degree.