PDA

View Full Version : Is it happening?

bulldogtragic
16-05-2016, 10:07 PM
So everyone loves patronising us as their 'second team' when we are treading water or going backwards. But as soon as we start to consistently play well, the haters gonna hate, hate, hate. And we'll shake it off, shake it off.

Last year the media would spend 90% of any interview on the fact we lost everyone at club. Barrett lined up Libba in a gutless fashion on the footy show. Caro & Barrett lined up Gordon, Bevo & the club last year, through this year over Tahleeya. The footy classified attempt to lampoon Bevo was rubbish and we seem to be getting it this year about favourable free kick numbers or some hypocrisy for this or that. No nice, but they're my second team right now.

I first really noticed the phenomenon through the late 90's and its begining to feel a bit the same. Is this mood changing happening that comes with us playing well or just a few things/issues happening back to back I wonder?

comrade
16-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Nah, the fear is starting to grow and the poor old Dogs narrative has taken a back seat.

It started when we put a line in the sand and took Tom Boyd from the AFL's love child. I also noticed that Hodge gave us nothing on the broadcast, a sure sign that the Hawks are watching.

SonofScray
16-05-2016, 10:26 PM
It is happening.

I love it. Although I have to admit it is really jarring to see the type of narratives being projected onto us out of nowhere after years of the patronising stuff. I recall being hated circa 97 because of the Wog Squad, and guys like Dent and Kretiuk. There was some grounds to peoples' hate, the ridiculous stuff was the "playing outside the spirit of the game" sledges we copped for tagging and flooding etc.

With this group, the public are just pulling stuff out of thin air to sledge us with.

The tears of the AFL world taste delicious though. Hopefully they fill up a Premiership Cup for by the end of the season.

comrade
16-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Have to love Demons fans giving it to Stringer for being arrogant/selfish/a knob, when they have Jesse Hogan pointing fingers like he's the second coming of Brendan Goddard.

jeemak
16-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Nah, the fear is starting to grow and the poor old Dogs narrative has taken a back seat.

It started when we put a line in the sand and took Tom Boyd from the AFL's love child. I also noticed that Hodge gave us nothing on the broadcast, a sure sign that the Hawks are watching.

Correct. The footy world was licking its lips when Griffun walked out and we were once again in turmoil, but something didn't quite go to script after that point and everyone was royally pissed! We fought back, and aspired to be bigger and better in the face of adversity, rather than just trying to survive in the admirable but ultimately meek way we have throughout recent decades.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-05-2016, 10:51 PM
All the dross is easier to ignore when we're winning

bulldogtragic
16-05-2016, 11:06 PM
It is happening.

I love it. Although I have to admit it is really jarring to see the type of narratives being projected onto us out of nowhere after years of the patronising stuff. I recall being hated circa 97 because of the Wog Squad, and guys like Dent and Kretiuk. There was some grounds to peoples' hate, the ridiculous stuff was the "playing outside the spirit of the game" sledges we copped for tagging and flooding etc.

With this group, the public are just pulling stuff out of thin air to sledge us with.

The tears of the AFL world taste delicious though. Hopefully they fill up a Premiership Cup for by the end of the season.

I love it too. It means the infield stuff is going really well. Whenever I need a cheer up I shut my eyes and see Kritter punching Lloyd in the hand and hear all the hysterical cries over it.

Twodogs
17-05-2016, 12:06 AM

He knew an awful lot about us didn't he?

...I love it...

Me too.

Murphy'sLore
17-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Must admit I did a double take when the Demon fans sitting next to us on Sunday were abusing my (admittedly excitable) husband as a typical Bulldog 'arrogant turd' with 'entitlement' issues! But I'm happy to wear it if it means they are starting to be afraid :)

1eyedog
17-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Have to love Demons fans giving it to Stringer for being arrogant/selfish/a knob, when they have Jesse Hogan pointing fingers like he's the second coming of Brendan Goddard.

There's a fine line between selfishness and confidence that is defined by success. Stringer consistently does the remarkable and has a licence to thrill. Melbourne don't have a player like him. The competition is jealous of us having Bont and Jake hence the jibes and hence the growing hate.

Sedat
17-05-2016, 10:39 AM
They are even having a crack at our banners now - keep up the great work Danny

bulldogtragic
17-05-2016, 10:49 AM
That's leaving aside (from Libba, Tahleeya etc) Lachie Hunters re-signing in the Hun being reported as Tom Boyd stealing money from his team mates. And Bonts second year blues last year...

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Must admit I did a double take when the Demon fans sitting next to us on Sunday were abusing my (admittedly excitable) husband as a typical Bulldog 'arrogant turd' with 'entitlement' issues! But I'm happy to wear it if it means they are starting to be afraid :)
Hilarious

Mantis
17-05-2016, 11:40 AM
He knew an awful lot about us didn't he?

You expected otherwise?

Really as a media commentator it should be a given that he has some idea about what he is talking about.

KT31
17-05-2016, 11:46 AM
You expected otherwise?

Really as a media commentator it should be a given that he has some idea about what he is talking about.

You would think, but with the standard of commentators it is becoming more of a rarity now days.

Hot_Doggies
17-05-2016, 11:52 AM

A sure sign your imagination is working!

hujsh
17-05-2016, 11:55 AM
You expected otherwise?

Hahahaha...Commentators aren't meant to know what they're talking about. They just need to get excited and ramble on and make jokes about eachother. Everyone knows that and everyone loves it.

ledge
17-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Like when Brereton claimed Adams nickname at the club was "DAD" no idea whatsoever

LostDoggy
17-05-2016, 12:46 PM
They hate us because we're winning and playing good footy DESPITE everything that's been thrown at us, whilst their silver platters have so far left them unfulfilled and hangry.

Twodogs
17-05-2016, 01:01 PM
You expected otherwise?

I would have thought Hawthorn would have told him to keep mum about what they know about us. He went into some fairly technical detail about the way we set up a couple of times.

Eastdog
17-05-2016, 06:53 PM
They hate us because we're winning and playing good footy DESPITE everything that's been thrown at us, whilst their silver platters have so far left them unfulfilled and hangry.

I sense some jealous amongst opposition clubs.

comrade
17-05-2016, 07:16 PM

Yes, it is.

Flamethrower
17-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Hate = Envy + Fear

KT31
17-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Hate = Envy + Fear

Or my way, If they are not wearing red , white and blue - @#$%^%$ hate them !
Hate = Non-Bulldog.

ratsmac
17-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Talking within a mate at work (hawks supporter) today about footy and out of nowhere says "you know who I can't stand?" I thought he might say Goddard, Harvey or something like that, but he says Jake Stringer! Jake Stringer! He reckons he's so arrogant. I said that's why I love him! He's arrogant (which I call swagger) but he backs it up.

Yes it is happening!

bulldogtragic
17-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Talking within a mate at work (hawks supporter) today about footy and out of nowhere says "you know who I can't stand?" I thought he might say Goddard, Harvey or something like that, but he says Jake Stringer! Jake Stringer! He reckons he's so arrogant. I said that's why I love him! He's arrogant (which I call swagger) but he backs it up.

Yes it is happening!

Someone without swagger/arrogance can't once beat five opponents and kick a long range snap goal. Let alone every other week... That's official as it gets.

SonofScray
17-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Someone without swagger/arrogance can't once beat five opponents and kick a long range snap goal. Let alone every other week... That's official as it gets.

It is Big League Swagger.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2016, 10:16 PM
It is Big League Swagger.

And he's the nicest, level headed family man you will ever find playing AFL.