PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 10 2016 vs Collingwood

Eastdog
20-05-2016, 05:25 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 10 2016 match against Collingwood at the MCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
22-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Huge game with a few players coming back. If you drop players make sure you also name their replacements.

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 06:29 PM
In: Redpath, Matt Boyd, Adams
Outs: Jong (susp), Adcock, Roberts

Jong played forward today for Redders, Boyd for Adcock, Adams for Roberts
VFL form needed, but hopefully back soon for selection: Hrovat, Tom Boyd
Suckling is another week off.
VFL today put someone up watchers?
Collins on Cox should be a good match up. Adams & Wood to do their interception thing.

Mantis
22-05-2016, 06:48 PM
In: Redpath, Matt Boyd, Adams
Outs: Jong (susp), Adcock, Roberts

Jong played forward today for Redders, Boyd for Adcock, Adams for Roberts
VFL form needed, but hopefully back soon for selection: Hrovat, Tom Boyd
Suckling is another week off.
VFL today put someone up watchers?
Collins on Cox should be a good match up. Adams & Wood to do their interception thing.

Collins stays in.. Really?

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Collins stays in.. Really?

Bevo usually gives the kids at least two game doesn't he?

Mantis
22-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Bevo usually gives the kids at least two game doesn't he?

He does.. But it's been a seriously underwhelming performance.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2016, 07:11 PM

Yeah I think this can be sold differently too if Adams is back. Collins just getting a game because of him and Redpath being out. I actually thought Roberts wasn't too bad.

In: M.Boyd, Redpath, Adams/Honeychurch (if Adams isn't' fit)
Out: Jong, Adcock, Collins

always right
22-05-2016, 07:23 PM
In:
MBoyd, Adams, Redpath

Out:
Jong, Collins, Adcock (unlucky)

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-05-2016, 07:28 PM

Agree. Collins was far too slow and you couldn't see him playing next week. Stevens and Jong were ineffective as was Adcock. We were undermanned in defence against the talented GWS attack.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2016, 07:33 PM
In: Redpath, Boyd, Honeychurch
Out: Collins, Jong, McLean (rested)

EDIT: Forgot about Adams, will need to give it some more thought if he's back.

SlimPickens
22-05-2016, 07:37 PM
In: Boyd M, Redpath, Adams, Honeychurch

Out: Adcock, Jong, Collins, McLean

bornadog
22-05-2016, 07:40 PM
In: Boyd M, Redpath, Adams, Honeychurch

Out: Adcock, Jong, Collins, McLean

Hopefully Adams is ready

SlimPickens
22-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Hopefully Adams is ready

All indications suggest he will be

westbulldog
22-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Ins - Redpath, M Boyd, Honeychurch, Adams
Outs - Adcock, Jong, Collins, Roberts

lemmon
22-05-2016, 09:03 PM
In- Redpath, M. Boyd, Adams

Out- Collins, Jong, McLean

Mantis
23-05-2016, 10:35 AM
In: Redpath, M.Boyd, Adams, Dunkley

Out: Jong, Collins, McLean, Stevens

LostDoggy
23-05-2016, 10:57 AM
In: Redpath, M.Boyd, Hamling,
Out: Adcock, Roberts, Jong (Susp),

Boyd and Redpath's importance was plain to see. The week off and lack of an interstate trip will only improve them.

Adcock more or less played Boyd's role on the weekend with much less impact or leadership, he's a stopgap option only at present for mine.

I think Hamling is a more mobile and better option than Roberts. Collins couldn't have had a tougher first up task than the Cameron/Patton/Lobb combo with quick delivery in. Needs another chance. I'm still a big believer.

Adams is important and would still be getting over the big preseason and heavy load he carried in the early rounds. A Footscray game for him at this stage would be prudent management I'd reckon.

Mantis
23-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Adams is important and would still be getting over the big preseason and heavy load he carried in the early rounds. A Footscray game for him at this stage would be prudent management I'd reckon.

Does the fact that Footscray don't play this weekend have any bearing on this decision?

jeemak
23-05-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure about Stevens going out. We just spent a seniors game trying to get him up to speed post injury, I can't see him being that bad again this week.

Adams for Collins, Redpath for Jong, Boyd for Adcock or Williams (both would be unlucky) and HC for McLean.

I was a little annoyed that Daniel, Jong, McLean, Dickson and Stringer could only land three tackles between them. That's a pathetic effort for a bunch of forward half players operating in a structure that relies on locking the ball into the forward area to create opportunities.

LostDoggy
23-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Does the fact that Footscray don't play this weekend have any bearing on this decision?

Whoops. Even so, I'd lean towards a conservative approach with him and reckon a solid training session this weekend instead of an AFL game would be good for his long term prospects.

jeemak
23-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Given that it was only a finger issue he missed with would it be fair to say he'd have had a small spell to freshen up post the operation and then put a fair bit of work into his lower body conditioning afterwards?

He should be cherry ripe in my view.

always right
23-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Adams has to come in. Whilst Bevo tends to give first game players a couple of weeks, the reality is he needs to pick our best side against the pies and Adams is miles in front of Collins at this stage.

I would prefer Hamling over Roberts but he could hold his head high with his effort yesterday and doesn't deserve to be dropped. I don't see him as our future but he gets another opportunity and will line up on Cox.

1eyedog
23-05-2016, 11:45 AM
In: Redpath, M.Boyd, Adams, Dunkley

Out: Jong, Collins, McLean, Stevens

why do you have Stevens as an out?

G-Mo77
23-05-2016, 11:52 AM

He was awful yesterday but I think he'll be safe.

Redpath and Boyd obvious ins and I think Adams will come back into the team.

Collins, Jong and Adcock outs. There might be a niggle here or there so Adcock might be safe.

Would have loved Suckling back for this one as well but seems he's still a week or two away.

Mantis
23-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Becasue he was terrible yesterday and I don't see him in our best team.

kruder
23-05-2016, 12:50 PM

Fair enough but he will be playing this week and the rest of the year so you better get used to him in the team. He has been solid all year and just struggled yeaterday post 2 weeks out of the game.

Mantis
23-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Fair enough but he will be playing this week and the rest of the year so you better get used to him in the team. He has been solid all year and just struggled yeaterday post 2 weeks out of the game.

I lived through the Eagleton years and survived so I'll be ok.

I just think we have to many like types and think we need to start shaping our team with this in mind.

The bulldog tragician
23-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Curious as to why posters are for dropping McLean. Is that on form or the idea that he needs a rest? He wasn't great yesterday but not alone in that regard.

IN: M Boyd, Redpath, Adams if fit, otherwise Honeychurch
OUT: Collins - just not ready. Jong (suspended). I don't think Dickson has played well since his return and see him on thin ice at present.

Cyberdoggie
23-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Surely Honey should get a game, he's been consistently one of the bests at Footscray all year,
he's known for his forward pressure, something we are lacking at the moment (point finger at Dickson, Mclean, Jong, Roughead and anyone else that was up forward against GWS).

in: Big Red, M.Boyd, Adams, HC
out: McLean, Jong, Collins, ........ 1 more, maybe Williams. (Need to improve our defensive pressure.)

soupman
23-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I would be keen for Honeychurch in for Dickson except the fact Dickson wouldn't get the benefit of playing VFL this week makes me hesitant to pull the trigger.

S Coast Simon
23-05-2016, 06:06 PM
In. Big red,M Boyd
out. McLean(rest). Jong( unlucky was protecting himself and Buntine acting a bit)
Collins gets a chance to redeem himself. Dropping him after one game can destroy confidence gained and is not good for his long term development. Playing your first game on Cameron when he is playing dam good footy and even arsing a few goals is a very tough baptism.

Rocco Jones
23-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Just a few things:
- I don't really get the McLean out thing. He is in my best 22 even with us at full strength. Offers something different. Hard to say 'rest' a guy from outside looking in. Only medical team knows that and we could also 'rest' a few others. I think we are fixating on when he was meant to be rested a few weeks back. Came in and played a ripper anyway
- Collins being out after one week isn't harsh, he was only in due to so many talls being out. Stop gap. One and possible two are back this week. Roberts deserves a game more this week.
- Gonna say it again. I love Bevo but the love affair with Adcock is getting to be a bit!

kruder
23-05-2016, 10:18 PM
I lived through the Eagleton years and survived so I'll be ok.

I just think we have to many like types and think we need to start shaping our team with this in mind.

Yeah agree but bringing in Dunkley won't change that.

Dry Rot
23-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Rarely is there such an obvious in. 5 tackles in our forward 50 on the weekend?

Remember our amazing start to last year? Our early RS nomination?

Honeychurch must come in, and given a licence to kill up forward.

boydogs
24-05-2016, 12:04 AM
All indications suggest he will be

Adams' cousin is on BF, he said he probably won't play

Agree. Collins was far too slow and you couldn't see him playing next week. Stevens and Jong were ineffective as was Adcock. We were undermanned in defence against the talented GWS attack.

I didn't think Collins was slow, just slow to react. He has a lot of learning to do regarding positioning and movement in our defense. Given our VFL team play the same way as the AFL team he can do this at the lower level

ratsmac
24-05-2016, 12:46 AM
The Hun reporting that Bevo says Suckling will play this week. Cool! Hopefully his fitness is up to scratch after missing about a month of match fitness. Stevens looked to be struggling on the weekend and he only missed the 2 weeks.

Anyhow with Suckling, M Boyd and Redpath available it should lift team morale.

G-Mo77
24-05-2016, 12:41 PM
I had him penciled in to return for this one but the injury report still had him 2 weeks away. Big in for us should he return.

azabob
24-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Caleb Daniel has been quiet since his return from injury. Is this because we are using him now as a run with / defensive midfielder?

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 01:35 PM
In- M.Boyd, Redpath, Suckling
Out- Jong, Adcock, Collins

If Adams is right, I would have him in for Roberts.

Some massive ins.

1eyedog
24-05-2016, 01:40 PM

So not in the best 22 at all? Interesting. Averaging 24 disposals a game and over 5 tackles as well as hitting the scoreboard.

I'm not sure Dunkley as an in over Stevens is going to value add to the team.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 03:19 PM
So not in the best 22 at all? Interesting. Averaging 24 disposals a game and over 5 tackles as well as hitting the scoreboard.

I'm not sure Dunkley as an in over Stevens is going to value add to the team.

Stevens is in hot form this year, although game back from injury probably worse for year. He won't be dropped at all.

Axe Man
24-05-2016, 03:50 PM
In- M.Boyd, Redpath, Suckling
Out- Jong, Adcock, Collins

If Adams is right, I would have him in for Roberts.

Some massive ins.

Collingwood have a very tall forward line - Cox (211), Moore (200) and White (196). Not sure we can go in with just 1 tall back in Roberts/Adams and Morris. Or do you see Roughy going back to play on Cox?

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Collingwood have a very tall forward line - Cox (211), Moore (200) and White (196). Not sure we can go in with just 1 tall back in Roberts/Adams and Morris. Or do you see Roughy going back to play on Cox?

I don't rate players just because they are talls. Sure, would be great to have as many gun talls as possible but tall guys who aren't up to it are just liabilities. I'd rather we try to exploit Jesse White than go head to head with him being an ordinary tall.

Morris is a better key defender right now than Roberts or Collins. I'd have Morris, Roberts/Adams and Roughy playing on their 2nd ruck.

1eyedog
24-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Stevens is in hot form this year, although game back from injury probably worse for year. He won't be dropped at all.

Not a hope in hell. Would be one of the top dozen first picked. He's a ball carrier and we have bugger all of those in form and in the team at the moment.

Btw Cox has been very good for the Pies and Moore is dangerous. We'll need two talls down back.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Bevo press conference on now:

1. Matty Suckling's form early in the year was great and we're likely to have Marcus Adams available as well.

2. Matty brings a combination of performance and direction on the field. Hopefully he picks up where he left off.

3. Marcus will need to get through training this week to see if he's comfortable with his finger and we'll make a final decision.

4. I've been impressed with the way Collingwood have gotten things going their way again.

5. Week to week our players see the opposition as in their way and we'll do everything we can to win.

6. Collingwood's midfield is really strong so the that battle this weekend is going to be really important.

7. Bailey Williams was impressive against GWS which is great for such a young player. He's likely to play this weekend.

8. JJ is still another four or five weeks away at this stage all things being equal.

9. We'll wait and see on Tom Boyd but it's looking to be after the VFL bye.

10. Josh Dunkley will be considered this week, as will Mitch Honeychurch after strong form in he VFL

bornadog
24-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Maybe at least four or five changes this week.

In: Redpath, MBoyd, Suckling, Adams - maybe HC/Dunkley

Out: Collins, Adcock, Jong, Mclean? (would be unlucky)

always right
24-05-2016, 05:04 PM
We played Roberts and Collins as our two key defenders against some of the biggest forwards in the AFL last week. If we were ever going to play Roughy back it was then.

I don't expect it to be any different this week against the pies. Roberts and (hopefully) Adams to be our talls with Wood and Biggs providing support. Just need to bring the ball to ground.

I feel good about this game.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 05:15 PM
We played Roberts and Collins as our two key defenders against some of the biggest forwards in the AFL last week. If we were ever going to play Roughy back it was then.

I don't expect it to be any different this week against the pies. Roberts and (hopefully) Adams to be our talls with Wood and Biggs providing support. Just need to bring the ball to ground.

I feel good about this game.

I am not sold on Roberts. I know he is only 22, and still developing, but he is a real worry in some one on one situations. I wish he would just go the punch like Hamling does instead of trying to mark the ball and just getting rag dolled out of the way.

I guess give him a few more games and see what happens.

GVGjr
24-05-2016, 05:43 PM
In MBoyd, Redpath, Adams, Suckling and Hamling (Long shot)
Out Collins, Roberts, Adcock, Jong and McLean (looks to be feeling the pinch)

The extra tall defender is to counter the Pies tall forward in particular Moore who has had a couple of good outings against us.
McLean looks to me like he is struggling to get through quarters. A one week spell is all he needs before he would get back in. If they think he is fit enough I'm fine with that.

M.Boyd replaces Adcock, Adams and Hamling replace Roberts and Collins. Redpath is a swap for Jong.

I don't expect Hamling to be selected but I'm concerned with the challenge of matching up with Moore and maybe Mason Cox

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't expect Hamling to be selected but I'm concerned with the challenge of matching up with Moore and maybe Mason Cox

I am a bit concerned too but not sure an below average AFL level tall defender will help the cause. With the four ins, we can go with quality in the 22 to vicariously help out the situation.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I am a bit concerned too but not sure an below average AFL level tall defender will help the cause. With the four ins, we can go with quality in the 22 to vicariously help out the situation.

So you think Hamling is below AFL level?

Mantis
24-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Maybe at least four or five changes this week.

In: Redpath, MBoyd, Suckling, Adams - maybe HC/Dunkley

Out: Collins, Adcock, Jong, McLean? (would be unlucky)

He looks like he needs a spell, whilst he did ok offensively last week, his defensive efforts were poor (very poor) and it looks like he needs a week off to re-charge the batteries.

Most definitely in our best 22, but we need to manage our young guys.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 06:13 PM

No. He is below the average defender playing in the AFL. Otherwise I would have said below AFL.

SlimPickens
24-05-2016, 06:13 PM

I think his form has been. He played ok against Essendon on the weekend but the performance didn't command a senior spot.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 06:19 PM
No. He is below the average defender playing in the AFL. Otherwise I would have said below AFL.

Where does Roberts rank then?

I think his form has been. He played ok against Essendon on the weekend but the performance didn't command a senior spot.

Fair enough, although as you say he showed some improvement last week.

F'scary
24-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Hamling in form, as he showed last season, is a competent (average) KPB. His biggest drawback is his relative lightness, so to speak, in weight against the beefier KPF's.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Where does Roberts rank then?

Below average too. I guess at least Roberts has more of an ability to play on the bigger bodies where I see Hamling as a taller but less able version of a medium sized defender. Just think height alone is overrated.

ratsmac
24-05-2016, 06:28 PM
On Roberts, I think Bevo is doing what he did with Ayce Cordy. Give him a solid run in the seniors and show us what you have got. If he is up to it he stays, but if he's not, well he's looking at a trade or delisting.

He doesn't appear to be strong enough to take on the gorilla forwards and he's too slow for the medium forward. He has a good chance this week against a relatively young inexperienced forward line to make a statement.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Hamling in form, as he showed last season, is a competent (average) KPB. His biggest drawback is his relative lightness, so to speak, in weight against the beefier KPF's.

Agreed.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2016, 06:30 PM
On Roberts, I think Bevo is doing what he did with Ayce Cordy. Give him a solid run in the seniors and show us what you have got. If he is up to it he stays, but if he's not, well he's looking at a trade or delisting.

He doesn't appear to be strong enough to take on the gorilla forwards and he's too slow for the medium forward. He has a good chance this week against a relatively young inexperienced forward line to make a statement.

Yep, guys like Roberts end up hurting the team defence. Without Adams we simply need another tall but if Adams is back, I would prefer we go back to Morris, Adams, Wood and Biggs team defence style.

bornadog
24-05-2016, 06:33 PM

The one thing Hamling has is his athletic ability, and can jump, whereas Roberts does not have a leap at all. Maybe Hamling is chosen for indigenous round. ;)

1eyedog
24-05-2016, 06:38 PM

Agreed. I see him as a tall third defender, a tall(er) Ryan Hargrave. I think his competition is more Wood / Morris / Biggs as opposed to Adams / Roberts / Collins.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-05-2016, 07:14 PM
I like Hamling for his leap and athleticism. Roberts doesn't get very far off the ground

jeemak
24-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Both Roberts and Hamling are still under developed.

Neither will be able to play key position until they are stronger in the core in particular, and in the legs and upper body.

We seem to have an issue in getting size on these types of guys. At 22 Roberts should be stronger than he is, as should Hamling at 23.

SlimPickens
24-05-2016, 10:30 PM

Neither will be able to play key position until they are stronger in the core in particular, and in the legs and upper body.

We seem to have an issue in getting size on these types of guys. At 22 Roberts should be stronger than he is, as should Hamling at 23.

2 shoulder ops over the last two years hasnt helped with Fletchers development in the gym.

jeemak
24-05-2016, 11:28 PM
2 shoulder ops over the last two years hasnt helped with Fletchers development in the gym.

Fair point Slim. Possibly one we should consider when this particular 22 year old key defender is getting lambasted on game day.

In an ideal world Roberts would be so sublimely talented we'd be able to put him aside to reach his targeted physique knowing he's a good chance of making it, but unfortunately, he's just one of those talented players that needs to claw his way to a career via continued exposure irrespective of how he's going physically.

GVGjr
24-05-2016, 11:35 PM

For what it's worth I think Hamling has added some size this year and I'm not sure he can add a lot more. We need to teach how to use his quickness to better effect. He would be one of the quickest guys at the club but he doesn't take the game on like JJ.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2016, 11:39 PM
For what it's worth I think Hamling has added some size this year and I'm not sure he can add a lot more. We need to teach how to use his quickness to better effect. He would be one of the quickest guys at the club but he doesn't take the game on like JJ.

Has Bevo, Bubba or any of the VFL coaches not taught him this in 18 months? Either they haven't or he's a very, very slow non learner.

GVGjr
24-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Has Bevo, Bubba or any of the VFL coaches not taught him this in 18 months? Either they haven't or he's a very, very slow non learner.

They probably needed to teach our new defensive structure in year one and this year he appears to have struggled a bit with his confidence. I hope the club is working with him in a positive manner to help him learn how to take the game on.

A couple of years back Easton Wood was dropped back to Footscray for a week because he had become a mark, stop and prop type player who was chipping the ball sideways and just wasn't taking the game on. I think he only advanced the ball by 20mtrs for that game and was sent back to Footscray with a positive message of what he needed to work on.

I listened to Chris Maple address a small group of us explaining what Wood needed to do to earn a recall. It wasn't to get 20 plus possessions it was to run the ball up the field when he had the opportunities and to be decisive with his kicking and attack.
Wood executed his instructions perfectly and was back into the seniors the following week.

So yes, I believe the coaches will be working with Hamling to utilise his exceptional athletic traits and while might take some time I think he can eventually make the necessary adjustments.

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2016, 11:56 PM
I'd much rather see Hamling in the side than Roberts - Hamling has ability, good closing speed, neat kick and I hope he can assert himself in the second half of the year

jeemak
25-05-2016, 12:39 AM

He is a little bit bigger this year, but my view on that is we should load him up with as much bulk as we can and make him a quick medium to key defender, because he's never going to take the game on like JJ does with pace.

Rocket Science
25-05-2016, 01:17 AM
Bevo press conference on now:

1. Matty Suckling's form early in the year was great and we're likely to have Marcus Adams available as well.

2. Matty brings a combination of performance and direction on the field. Hopefully he picks up where he left off.

3. Marcus will need to get through training this week to see if he's comfortable with his finger and we'll make a final decision.

4. I've been impressed with the way Collingwood have gotten things going their way again.

5. Week to week our players see the opposition as in their way and we'll do everything we can to win.

6. Collingwood's midfield is really strong so the that battle this weekend is going to be really important.

7. Bailey Williams was impressive against GWS which is great for such a young player. He's likely to play this weekend.

8. JJ is still another four or five weeks away at this stage all things being equal.

9. We'll wait and see on Tom Boyd but it's looking to be after the VFL bye.

10. Josh Dunkley will be considered this week, as will Mitch Honeychurch after strong form in he VFL

Nice summary.

Further to Boyd, Beveridge made a remark alluding to Boyd's history with his shoulder and surgery being an option subject to Boyd's ability to return and avoid reinjuring the same shoulder.

That suggests he's not only carrying an issue - even when 'fit' - but a recurrence could see him miss the remainder of the year.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Nice summary.

Further to Boyd, Beveridge made a remark alluding to Boyd's history with his shoulder and surgery being an option subject to Boyd's ability to return and avoid reinjuring the same shoulder.

That suggests he's not only carrying an issue - even when 'fit' - but a recurrence could see him miss the remainder of the year.

Bevo mentioned that On The Couch, which worried me. All our big guys seem to have shoulder problems.

PS: the summary of the Press Conference came from Twitter.

comrade
26-05-2016, 08:05 AM
IN: Adams, Suckling, Redpath, Boyd, Honeychurch

OUT: Collins, Jong, Adcock, McLean, Williams

McLean is a rest as he's best 22 but a week off to freshen up. Honeychurch has been smashing the door down for weeks and has proven he can go in the midfield when needed. His tackling pressure up forward needs to set the example as it was woeful against the Plastics.

Mantis
26-05-2016, 08:49 AM
^^

Can't see Williams going out just yet, but it's a nice problem to have to try and fit everyone in.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I'd much rather see Hamling in the side than Roberts - Hamling has ability, good closing speed, neat kick and I hope he can assert himself in the second half of the year

Looking at some of the still photography in the Crows game, often the expressions on Robert's face is a pure look of terror. I wonder if he is being overwhelmed.

LostDoggy
26-05-2016, 04:16 PM
There's speculation that Suckling, Boyd, Adams & Redpath are all in. With Dunkley also a likely inclusion.
Jong suspended and Stevens & Collins omitted.

Would surprise me if Stevens is dropped but he was awful on the weekend.

Eastdog
26-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Any chance Webb could be named? Good inclusions in that is the case Jaytee come 6:25pm. Redpath will give us a target up forward freeing up Stringer, Adams will help our dens five structure - he has been very good this year as will M Boyd and Suckling.

Will great to get T Boyd back. Really need him in the side but the question is can he play along with Redpath?

Mantis
26-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Any chance Webb could be named? Good inclusions in that is the case Jaytee come 6:25pm. Redpath will give us a target up forward freeing up Stringer, Adams will help our dens five structure - he has been very good this year as will M Boyd and Suckling.

With Bevo you never know, but he copped a heavy corky last week so his inclusion would be doubtful.. Hopefully we can get him for a few games in the 2nd half of the year.

comrade
26-05-2016, 05:28 PM
It was Stevens or Williams for my outs and I went with the inexperienced player but if you're going off the weekends performance, Koby was one of our worst.

LostDoggy
26-05-2016, 06:33 PM
In-Adams,Suckling,Moyd,Redders ;)

Outs-Jong,Adcock,Dale,Williams.

Ozza
26-05-2016, 06:39 PM
I was at the club today having lunch with a mate who does some work for the club and Bevo was good enough to come over and have a chat. We talked about a few things, but the most notable was that it seemed really really disappointed with the weekend, and when I made mention of players out of the side he sort of brushed it off a bit and said that the problem was that we only had 6-7 good contributors on the day. He went on to say that he had a good chat with the leaders about it and in preparation of the weekend.

None of what we chatted about was any different to how he speaks in a press conference- but was great to have a quick talk about footy with him, and to get that feeling from him of a real determination to respond to last weeks loss.

G-Mo77
26-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Stevens dropped

Jong and Collins the only other outs at this stage.

Boyd, Suckling, Mindson, Redpath Adams and Dunkley IN

The Underdog
26-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Stevens dropped

Jong and Collins the only other outs at this stage.

Boyd, Suckling, Mindson, Redpath Adams and Dunkley IN

Koby listed as abdominal on the AFL site

G-Mo77
26-05-2016, 07:29 PM

Oh. I was just going via Twitter. Did we rush him back?

F'scary
26-05-2016, 07:30 PM

I don't think that page is up to date.

1eyedog
26-05-2016, 07:30 PM
It was Stevens or Williams for my outs and I went with the inexperienced player but if you're going off the weekends performance, Koby was one of our worst.

Koby out is just silly. He's been one of our best half dozen players all year - consistently. Averaging 24 disposals, 5 tackles, kicking goals...

G-Mo77
26-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Koby out is just silly. He's been one of our best half dozen players all year - consistently. Averaging 24 disposals, 5 tackles, kicking goals...

Injured apparently.

1eyedog
26-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Looks like he has a recurring ab strain.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2016, 07:38 PM
My bench: Wallis, Suckling, Daniel, Williams
Emerg: Minson, Dunkley, Adcock

ledge
26-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Yep abdominal strain again.. Rushed back to early by the looks.
Minson finally a chance.

F'scary
26-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Final Bench: Suckers, Wallis, Daniel, Williams? Or will Adcock get another reprieve?

always right
26-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Minson difficult to understand unless one of Roughy/TC is doubtful.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Poor Honeychurch can't even make it as an emergency.

Remi Moses
26-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Stevens out again is a blow .
Very good inclusions, Dunkley, Adcock and Will to be cut

Eastdog
26-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Good inclusions.

Eastdog
26-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Yep abdominal strain again.. Rushed back to early by the looks.
Minson finally a chance.

When he does play will be good to see how he goes.

Eastdog
26-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Stevens out again is a blow .
Very good inclusions, Dunkley, Adcock and Will to be cut

Agree. Might not have had the best ever game on Sunday but has been a solid contributor this year for us.

LostDoggy
26-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Still no love for Choke at The Filth ;)

bornadog
26-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Still no love for Choke at The Filth ;)

Especially after he canned the coach during the week. :D

LostDoggy
26-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Especially after he canned the coach during the week. :D

Yep,thought that was hilarious.
Bizarre comments from someone languishing in the Magoos.
Just about be a Career Killer,unless that's what he wants,a change of scenery?

1eyedog
26-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Poor Honeychurch can't even make it as an emergency.

Was thinking that. I'm almost of the opinion now that we are listing him as an emergency on purpose. I think he'll be one we look to trade on now if it is out of him and Hrovat. JMac will sit down and say 'yeah he's a required player, he was an emergency for us 8 times this year but just couldn't crack into a strong top 4 team'. He would get a game at most other clubs...

Bulldog4life
26-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Was thinking that. I'm almost of the opinion now that we are listing him as an emergency on purpose. I think he'll be one we look to trade on now if it is out of him and Hrovat. JMac will sit down and say 'yeah he's a required player, he was an emergency for us 8 times this year but just couldn't crack into a strong top 4 team'. He would get a game at most other clubs...

Yes he has been super consistent.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Is this the biggest swag on ins (3 in the 18 & 3 on the extended bench) in a single week under Bevo? (I know it's not certain they'll all be in the 22)

LostDoggy
27-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Koby a big out for mine. I'm sure he would have loved to lace up for the indigenous round.

Cyberdoggie
27-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Disappointed that HC can't get a game given his consistency in the VFL. I haven't watched much VFL this year so would welcome people's thought on his performances and why he can't get in.

Our loss on the weekend showed me a few glaring weaknesses, the standout being our lack of forward pressure. We let Shaw, Wilson, Williams and co walk the ball out of defence, especially Shaw with 14 rebound 50's and36 kicks. Not sure what the coaches were doing there but if there was a case to shut someone down it was here.

Forwards tackle count:
McLean 1, Jong 0, Dickson 1, Daniel 0, Stringer 1

Also add in that B Williams 0, Adcock 1, Libba 2, for example and it shows we just had too many that didn't run hard enough or apply defensive pressure.
Libba with 2 after having nearly 2

So my point is that we need to better forward pressure. Dickson was very good at this last year but has dropped off significantly in this area. HC is well noted for his pressure I think that would make a difference and perhaps inspire some of his teammates.
While i'm all for playing kids, I think McLean, Williams, don't have much of a defensive side at times. So the balance is a bit off with kids that aren't pulling their weight in these areas.

I'm also expecting Biggs to improve with the inclusion of Piggy, Biggs has dropped away with all the injuries to the other HBF'ers.

F'scary
27-05-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm buying into this suggestion of Dunkley in for Williams to get the tackle count up. In to the 22: Redders, Moyd, Suckers, The Specimen, Dunkley.

Out: Kobe (inj), Jong (susp), Collins (omitted), Williams (omitted), Adcock (omitted).

bornadog
27-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Final Team:

In: M Boyd, Suckling, Redpath, Adams, Dunkley

Out: Adcock, Stevens, Jong, Williams, Collins.

Emergencies; Minson, Williams, Adcock.

bornadog
27-05-2016, 06:03 PM
I'm buying into this suggestion of Dunkley in for Williams to get the tackle count up. In to the 22: Redders, Moyd, Suckers, The Specimen, Dunkley.

Out: Kobe (inj), Jong (susp), Collins (omitted), Williams (omitted), Adcock (omitted).

You were spot on.

Bulldog4life
27-05-2016, 06:04 PM
A lot stronger team than last week. Happy.

bornadog
27-05-2016, 06:08 PM
A lot stronger team than last week. Happy.

Me too. We will win this one.

chef
27-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Final Team:

In: M Boyd, Suckling, Redpath, Adams, Dunkley

Out: Adcock, Stevens, Jong, Williams, Collins.

Emergencies; Minson, Williams, Adcock.

Pretty happy with those changes.

Cyberdoggie
27-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Pretty happy with those changes.

I think Dunkley will add plenty of physicality to the side, good to give the kid his first taste of the MCG and a big crowd as well.

Templeton31
27-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Team looks stronger for Ins. Dunkley been banging the door down so good he is in.

Feel like HC deserves a go too but not sure who's place he would take! Bye in the VFL too so no chance to show form this week.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2016, 06:41 PM
The biggest amount of team change under Bevo, 5 changes.

Mofra
27-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Every one of those changes makes the team significantly better, noting that Stevens was playing under injury last week.

Collins to Adams
Adcock to Boyd
Williams to Suckling
Jong to Redpath
Stevens to Dunkley

F'scary
27-05-2016, 07:19 PM
You were spot on.

I was only going off a couple of earlier suggestions in the thread.

Go_Dogs
27-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Don't mind the final side, certainly a better balance than last week with both position and experience.

Williams was a little unlucky, but probably should be happy he had a taste much sooner than expected.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Huge fan of Dunks already. His body language suggests maturity that belies his age. Great blood lines and an exciting player to watch. Happy Days with these inclusions.

azabob
27-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Huge fan of Dunks already. His body language suggests maturity that belies his age. Great blood lines and an exciting player to watch. Happy Days with these inclusions.

Wait, Happy Days is playing?

always right
27-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Pretty sure the MC would like to give Honeychurch reward for consistent performance but it's a case of who goes out for him.

I'd suggest Dickson, Hunter, McLean and Daniel are the most vulnerable as somewhat like for like replacements. Daniel has been good....not great, Hunter a lock, McLean good but almost due for a rest, and Dickson only fair.

My gut feel is Dickson needs to show more this week to be safe.

SlimPickens
27-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Pretty sure the MC would like to give Honeychurch reward for consistent performance but it's a case of who goes out for him.

I'd suggest Dickson, Hunter, McLean and Daniel are the most vulnerable as somewhat like for like replacements. Daniel has been good....not great, Hunter a lock, McLean good but almost due for a rest, and Dickson only fair.

My gut feel is Dickson needs to show more this week to be safe.

It would be great if we stopped trying to turn Dickson into a mid forward. Guys is a gun, let him stay forward!

F'scary
27-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Dickson: 5 kicks inside the 50m arc = 4 goals.

bornadog
28-05-2016, 12:12 AM
It would be great if we stopped trying to turn Dickson into a mid forward. Guys is a gun, let him stay forward!

I think we have been saying that on WOOF for 5 years. Sometimes flexibility isnot the go and you leave your specialist do what they are good at.

GVGjr
28-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I think we have been saying that on WOOF for 5 years. Sometimes flexibility isnot the go and you leave your specialist do what they are good at.

I'm not so sure about that. I seem to recall comments that he was a one trick pony and that he needed to add some midfield versatility. Dickson has won many people over but about 3 years go some still regarded him as old and slow and in the mix to be delisted.

I also think some people were critical of the club, probably moreso B-Mac, for drafting him.

He's down on a bit of form with the late start so I think we just need to be a bit patient with him.

jeemak
28-05-2016, 12:44 AM
Agree, his interrupted start to the year has hurt, but hopefully that means he'll hit his straps soon. We need him dangerous.

Go_Dogs
28-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Agree, his interrupted start to the year has hurt, but hopefully that means he'll hit his straps soon. We need him dangerous.

We certainly do, however like others I get confused that we insist on him spending so much time away from the F50.

Maybe we're trying to build up his conditioning given the interruptions, and whilst he showed he can be effective further up the field at times in 2015 at present, he's needed in our forward line.

ReLoad
28-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Dickson is significantly impacted by the loss of Crameri. most opposition teams simply do not have the defensive legspeed to combat Dickson, Crameri and Stringer.

Sadly for us Disco Stu's omission has really meant dickson has got the next defender up the chain.

F'scary
28-05-2016, 12:06 PM
It is going to be soft and wet underfoot tomorrow at the G, even if it is not raining. I wonder how this will effect the game? Will greasy, slippery conditions suit Collingwood more than us?

GVGjr
28-05-2016, 12:12 PM
It is going to be soft and wet underfoot tomorrow at the G, even if it is not raining. I wonder how this will effect the game? Will greasy, slippery conditions suit Collingwood more than us?

It's a good point you raise but I'm not sure of the answer.

Bulldog Joe
28-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Grounds do hold up pretty well these days.

However, our contested ball numbers are much better than Collingwood and that is the sort of thing that generally comes to the fore in greasy conditions.

Mofra
28-05-2016, 12:44 PM
However, our contested ball numbers are much better than Collingwood and that is the sort of thing that generally comes to the fore in greasy conditions.
Yep it's our forte.

They also play 3 genuine talls in their forward 50, we generally only play 1 + a resting ruck + Stringer who is a freak at ground level.

Toby McLean to get 87 high contact free kicks.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
28-05-2016, 12:59 PM
We did alright against Sydney last year in the wet

jeemak
28-05-2016, 01:35 PM
If we only get a little bit of rain for the rest of the day today, and none tomorrow the ground will have recovered to being a bit soft under foot but the ball will be perfect for clunking grabs as a little moisture seeps into the leather. More rain will work in our favour I think.

Mantis
28-05-2016, 05:01 PM

We set up that win when the conditions were dry.. With a young team we did well to hang on when it became a slog.

bornadog
28-05-2016, 06:16 PM
If we only get a little bit of rain for the rest of the day today, and none tomorrow the ground will have recovered to being a bit soft under foot but the ball will be perfect for clunking grabs as a little moisture seeps into the leather. More rain will work in our favour I think.

No rain forecast but take your coat.

bornadog
28-05-2016, 06:19 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I seem to recall comments that he was a one trick pony and that he needed to add some midfield versatility. Dickson has won many people over but about 3 years go some still regarded him as old and slow and in the mix to be delisted.

I also think some people were critical of the club, probably moreso B-Mac, for drafting him.

He's down on a bit of form with the late start so I think we just need to be a bit patient with him.

Well personally I always thought he plays his best footy as a small forward, roving off packs and snapping goals. He also leads well. Can understand his lack of pre-season and injuries haven't given him a good start to the year, but he will get better.

F'scary
28-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Dickson is averaging exactly 2 goals a game (10 goals) this year. Not far off his average last year. If he is in the side as a small forward, he is doing his job. Last year was off the planet for him in terms of overall possessions. Pretty hard to replicate that but I too think he will warm up a bit as the season continues to progress.

F'scary
28-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Actually, Dickson is tracking along pretty much as last year and all his career. Not sure what is bothering some of us but it's there.

(source: Footy Wire) Averages:

Year
Team
Games
Kicks
Handballs
Disposals
Marks
Goals
Behinds
Tackles
Hitouts
Frees For
Frees Ag.

Western Bulldogs (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_home?tid=8)

Career

Happy Days
29-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Wait, Happy Days is playing?

Yeah man I'm #9.

EasternWest
29-05-2016, 01:39 AM
Yeah man I'm #9.

Jesse?

LostDoggy
29-05-2016, 03:36 AM
Dickson is averaging exactly 2 goals a game (10 goals) this year. Not far off his average last year. If he is in the side as a small forward, he is doing his job. Last year was off the planet for him in terms of overall possessions. Pretty hard to replicate that but I too think he will warm up a bit as the season continues to progress.

Sharpshooter.

LostDoggy
29-05-2016, 03:45 AM

https://youtu.be/dY5VEQnW2Js

If you don't mind :D

https://youtu.be/wD8BxMGc3HA

bornadog
29-05-2016, 11:43 AM
https://youtu.be/dY5VEQnW2Js

If you don't mind :D

https://youtu.be/wD8BxMGc3HA

I just watched that last two minutes again and had a tear in my eye. That must be one of the gutsiest wins ever.

Only ten of those players are in today.

Happy Days
29-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Jesse?

Dwayne?

bornadog
29-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Dwayne?

nah Dermie

1eyedog
29-05-2016, 12:39 PM
I just watched that last two minutes again and had a tear in my eye. That must be one of the gutsiest wins ever.

Only ten of those players are in today.

Huddo's a great caller.

EasternWest
29-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Dwayne?

Brad Boyd?

nah Dermie

Nice.