PDA

View Full Version : Comparison to GWS today & list management questions

bulldogtragic
22-05-2016, 08:08 PM
I was flicking through our first rounders and found this pretty amazing. Our oldest first rounder is our captain who was drafted in the first round in 1999. So it flows that from 1999 all first rounders could be playing currently.

Not Playing 2016: Murphy (knee), McMahon, Power, Walsh, pick for Penny*, Cooney, Ray, Gryphon, Williams, pick traded for Koops*, Higgins, Grant, Everitt, Howard, pick used for Sherman*, Smith (knee), Pick 6 2014 (Gryphone Trade), no first rounder 2015. (*A pick outside the first round).

Are Playing 2016: Wally (F/S), Jake, Jack, Bonts, Hrovat (coming back from injury).

We are on this ride for the rest of the year with a mere 5 first rounder top end players we picked (plus Tom Boyd), and without 18 first rounders going back to Murphy's draft. That's one hell of a handicap we've given up, but we are bucking that form line just outside the 4 currently backing up from finals last year.

GWS by my count had 15 playing today (another 8-10 or so around their list). That a heap of extra top end talent, especially efficient quick and tough mids was a part of difference between the two sides. Irrespective that they got them in 3-4 years and not over 16 years like we did. Simply we need to get more elite mids who are excellent by foot, who naturally go high in the draft. I think it raises an interesting question which is whether to go to the draft and try to get some top end kids for a few years, or trade first rounders and players for ready made mids.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2016, 12:18 AM
I got side tracked and ended up going through each club for current first round players on their list both drafted & traded for since 1999:

GWS: 23
GCS: 17
Carlton: 16
Hawthorn: 14
Richmond: 14
Collingwood: 14
Geelong: 13
WCE: 13
Port: 13
Melbourne: 13
Nth: 12
Essendon: 12