PDA

View Full Version : KB announced as the next statue at the MCG

Eastdog
25-05-2016, 08:41 PM
http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/05-16/kb-announced-to-be-next-statue-at-the-mcg#jgFKXE4kVojKpgPD.97

KB announced as the next statue at the MCG
SEN | 25 May 2016, 04:01PM

The Melbourne Cricket Club has announced that Richmond legend and SEN broadcaster Kevin Bartlett will be the next statue on the Avenue of Legends at the MCG.

Bartlett has played more games at the MCG than any other player in the history of the VFL/AFL and won five premierships on the ground while playing with the Tigers between 1965 and 1982.

"It's a very humbling thing to happen to a person, particularly when you grow up in the shadows of the MCG, and I grew up in Lennox Street Richmond," said Bartlett of the news.

"I played my first game at the 'G and all my milestones there...one day you're going to have a statue at the MCG which played a huge part in my sporting life, it's a great honour."

Bartlett will join the likes of sporting legends Shane Warne, Norm Smith, John Coleman and Jim Stynes as legends honoured around the MCG precinct.

MCC Chief Executive Stephen Gough rang into Bartlett's SEN radio program to deliver the good news.

"Thank you for calling up and making that official, I know you rang me the other day and I must say it was a very humbling phone call, it's indeed a great honour. I know my wife Denise was there and it brought tears to her eyes," said Bartlett.

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Oh no. They upset Denise...

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Congrats to KB. He deserves to get a statue after being forced to play for Richmond when he grew up a Footscray supporter.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Hope they get a better sculptor than the last one. Those statues all look a little deformed.

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Hope they get a better sculptor than the last one. Those statues all look a little deformed.

They are squat. Sort of compressed.

ledge
25-05-2016, 09:01 PM
He deserves it 50 years involved .. Cracks me up his tips on the tigers every week by over 100 points and people take it serious .
Light hearted , good hearted and a sense of humour. His passion for football and his tigers is undeniable.

1eyedog
25-05-2016, 09:45 PM
What a player he was.

Twodogs
25-05-2016, 10:09 PM
I can remember him running goal side of his opponent and pointing to where he wanted his teammate to kick the ball to.

josie
25-05-2016, 11:12 PM
He deserves it 50 years involved .. Cracks me up his tips on the tigers every week by over 100 points and people take it serious .
Light hearted , good hearted and a sense of humour. His passion for football and his tigers is undeniable.

Totally agree. Also always a gentleman and not one of those silly blokey boys club types that is common amongst afl commentators. Also think he still has soft spot for dogs. I saw the light and became a dogs supporter in late 90's. However before that loosely supported Tigers and when quite young I loved Kev, his shredded wheat hair, long sleeved jumper and sneaky goals.

bornadog
25-05-2016, 11:25 PM
A true legend of the game. Also forced the AFL to change the rules with his bouncing the ball just before he was tackled, it was an art form. This changed football dramatically.

GVGjr
25-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Sensational player and great football man. One of the best players I have seen.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Sensational player and great football man. One of the best players I have seen.

First player to pass 400 games, 5 Premierships.

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Totally agree. Also always a gentleman and not one of those silly blokey boys club types that is common amongst afl commentators. Also think he still has soft spot for dogs. I saw the light and became a dogs supporter in late 90's. However before that loosely supported Tigers and when quite young I loved Kev, his shredded wheat hair, long sleeved jumper and sneaky goals.

Kevin grew up a Footscray supporter and his family lived in Footscray before moving to Richmond. His god mother taught my dear old mum to sew. My mum taught me to sew-4 degrees of sewararion.;)

Remi Moses
26-05-2016, 05:35 AM
Richly deserved . He was as quick and smart as anyone who played the game .
Also for a bloke who looked 70 his whole career, it's fair play to him .
Probably SEN's best talent, although not exactly a group one field .

Bulldog4life
26-05-2016, 11:16 AM
I enjoy listening to his morning show. A great footballer too. A real gun. Well deserved KB.

bornadog
26-05-2016, 12:27 PM
I enjoy listening to his morning show. A great footballer too. A real gun. Well deserved KB.

The man who wants all the rules changed so the game resembles the good old days of the 70s and 80s

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 12:51 PM
The man who wants all the rules changed so the game resembles the good old days of the 70s and 80s

It's probably Freudian.

It was him who started up on decreasing interchange rotations I think.

One of mt favourite lines of all time was down to KB when Harry Beitzel retired. KB said when he started playing footy that he had a full head of long blonde hair and Harry Beitzel was bald. Now that they had both finished with footy, KB was bald and Harry's hair had grown back!

Sedat
26-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Probably SEN's best talent, although not exactly a group one field .
That's not even a maiden field at Dapto!

KB was an enormously talented and durable player, and his MCG record is second to none - richly deserved accolade. Plus anybody who drove a knife into Collingwood hearts like he did in 1980 deserve kudos ;)

Twodogs
26-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Was 1980 the year that Moore and Dempsey kept pushing and pulling each other over in that final?

Eastdog
26-05-2016, 05:01 PM
What is the criteria for being eligible to have a statue at the MCG?

EJ might qualify although EJ has recognition at the Whitten Oval, Braybrook Hotel and Ring Road bridge.

1eyedog
26-05-2016, 05:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdgbnvEU2tc