PDA

View Full Version : To The Bye - 3 Big Weeks

bulldogtragic
29-05-2016, 10:00 PM
West Coast at Etihad
Port Adelaide at Port Adeliade
Geelong at Etihad

Going to be a very big 3 weeks.

Our injured blokes: JJ won't be back until after the break. Tom Boyd needs at least one week at VFL, so says Bevo. Hrovat will need some continuity at VFL too I assume. We rushed Stevens back too early and missed him today. Hopefully we don't repeat it.

Are there any players that need some management before the bye? McLean for me looks like he could do with a rest and get him cherry ripe for a big last 1/2 of the season. Matty Boyd had a rest last week and the other old man is Morris, but three teams with multiple KPFs means we can't rest him before the bye.

Are there others we need to see in? To me Honeychurch is one I'd like to see, especially this week. I don't see a natural match up for Minson in any of these games. How much more does Webb need to do?

What's par? 3 big wins?

Eastdog
29-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Big chance to win all 3 but everything needs to fall into place for that to happen.

Hotdog60
29-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Maybe we could swap Mitch for HC, Mitch has been good and has played his guts out. Maybe the week before the bye to give him a freshen up for the second half. It's a hard call on our main stayers but I wonder if some of them are hurting.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Got to consider a rest for Libba as well, coming off the knee reco.

Remi Moses
30-05-2016, 12:54 AM
We hit the break 10 and 4, and we're well placed .
The last 9,we'd be favourites in 6 of them .
It's so even though

Remi Moses
30-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Umm that should be 9 and 4 :rolleyes:
Bugger it I want 10 and 3

Eastdog
30-05-2016, 01:01 AM

When would be a good time BAD?

GVGjr
30-05-2016, 03:08 AM

Do you want to be the person to tell him that? :)

Ozza
30-05-2016, 02:34 PM
2 wins out of the next 3 I could handle.

We are likely to win at least 5 of the last 7 games of the season (GCS, St.K, Cats, Nth, Pies, Bombers, Freo)
At 9-4, we then play Richmond and Sydney. So, maybe 10-5 and a realistic chance at 15 or more wins.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 05:56 PM
It's a funny one.

2/3= a bit disappointed
3/3= I am rapt

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 06:24 PM
It's a funny one.

2/3= a bit disappointed
3/3= I am rapt

Two and a draw? :)

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Two and a draw? :)

Hahaha hmmm I guess I would nearly content with that.

1eyedog
30-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I could absolutely handle 9/4
It would mean we beat the Cats which is a big result or go over there and beat Port, a difficult task at any time.

F'scary
30-05-2016, 07:27 PM
I understand Port are a one-way traffic team. We have the game to kill them.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 07:50 PM
I understand Port are a one-way traffic team. We have the game to kill them.

Yeah it's my thinking too. Would really annoy me to lose to their 'style'.

Cats and Eagles are quality sides but Etihad factor means we gotta beat them if we are up there.

boydogs
31-05-2016, 11:17 PM
We're more likely to beat Port than West Coast IMO, and I think we'll win both

Depends which Geelong shows up as to whether we win all 3

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 11:24 PM
If we win 2 of the next 3 we are 9-4 and totally on track coming out of the bye with players returning. 10-3 would be massive.

Who we beat or not is not as important as getting ourselves into position coming into the business end of the season.

What really matters is the scope for improvement and the ability to execute.

bornadog
31-05-2016, 11:26 PM
We will win all three, none of the teams scare me.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2016, 12:01 AM
If we win 2 of the next 3 we are 9-4 and totally on track coming out of the bye with players returning. 10-3 would be massive.

Who we beat or not is not as important as getting ourselves into position coming into the business end of the season.

What really matters is the scope for improvement and the ability to execute.

Yep. JJ is back. Tom Boyd is back. Stevens is back. Hrovat can hopefully find form. Hopefully Clay Smith gets back & finds form. We know Minson is not going to stop giving 100% if he's called up. Dunkley & Camhead are showing a good curve too. Webb, Honeychurch, Williams & Dale will pressure to get in. Hopefully Cordy too gets some continuity & finds form.

That's a fair amount of scope for improvement after the bye. Take some time to refine the game plan, work on areas of improvement, convince Bob to come back, get as high has we can, stay fit and bring them all on.

ledge
01-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Geelong are not the team they were .. I'm more worried about WC and their forward line.

bornadog
01-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Geelong are not the team the media thought they were .. I'm more worried about WC and their forward line.

Correction made. :D

1eyedog
02-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Yep. JJ is back. Tom Boyd is back. Stevens is back. Hrovat can hopefully find form. Hopefully Clay Smith gets back & finds form. We know Minson is not going to stop giving 100% if he's called up. Dunkley & Camhead are showing a good curve too. Webb, Honeychurch, Williams & Dale will pressure to get in. Hopefully Cordy too gets some continuity & finds form.

That's a fair amount of scope for improvement after the bye. Take some time to refine the game plan, work on areas of improvement, convince Bob to come back, get as high has we can, stay fit and bring them all on.

Is getting high performance enchancing? I think I had this discussion with Two Dogs...

LostDoggy
02-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Geelong have impressed me more than any other team this year. Their best beats anyone's best. They're the team to beat. Don't be fooled by their last two weeks. Not all premiership teams go through a season completely unfazed.

always right
02-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Whole family off to see us play in Adelaide. Will be shitty if we lose that one.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 06:49 PM
One down and two to go. (60 seconds against Hawthorn off 9-2).

Top 4 now.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Also a huge T&T rooting thread this week. All the top 8 are playing each other except Hawthorn & us. If nail down a win and results go the way we want we could have another big step to secure a top 4 finish.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Two magnificent wins, one game to go. Cmon dogs.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Two magnificent wins, one game to go. Cmon dogs.

I am confident we will win next week.

Remi Moses
11-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Tremendous win
True character and grit

KT31
11-06-2016, 05:30 PM
I am confident we will win next week.

Getting harder with our injury list.

ledge
11-06-2016, 06:08 PM
The way Clay played today he could come in for Luke.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-06-2016, 06:47 PM
He was good today

bornadog
11-06-2016, 07:03 PM
The way Clay played today he could come in for Luke.

Can't rush him back. AFL is way way way above standard of VFL.

hujsh
11-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Are we worried he'd lack fitness/ not be up to standard or are we trying to protect his knee by keeping him in the VFL? Because I doubt it'll make much difference to the knee what level he plays at.

1eyedog
11-06-2016, 08:16 PM

He''ll want to play. He's ferocious enough and good enough to make a contribution.

I'd bring in Stevens though and bring Smith in after the bye.

josie
11-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Steven's was rusty when he was brought in after injury. I would bring him back through VFL. I know many will disagree however Jong might be worth a go - thought he was good today (although I missed last quarter). Webb was pretty good too -perhaps he get's the nod. Smith was mighty and knowing how brave MC is they might just give him a go.

Do any woofers know how bad Adam's injury is? Though Zaine looked very good in VFL today.

I think we can beat Cats at Etihad and make it 3 out of 3. Go Dogs!!

westdog54
11-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Dahlhaus is a massive loss, but this team is doing something that no other team for a long time has.

They are finding a way.

Every time someone goes down injured, someone else steps up.

When Bob and JJ went down, we did just fine.

When Boyd went down, Redpath came in and he's been doing just beautifully.

There's depth in our list that's been non existant for years.

Yes, Dahlhaus is a massive part of our setup, but we'll manage.

Grind out a win against the Cats and we go to the bye full of confidence and with a week to get some players cherry ripe.

comrade
11-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Geelong are gettable, for sure.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Geelong are gettable, for sure.

Menzel might need a rest too, just tweaked his ankle.

Eastdog
11-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Well thats 2 down now 1 to go before the bye.

KT31
12-06-2016, 12:48 AM

Would have a huge influence on the hole core group though.

Remi Moses
12-06-2016, 12:56 AM
I was happy with 9 and 4, but ecstatic if we're 10 and 3.
We need some soldiers back ( just joking tragic, I agree with you)
Not getting ahead of ourselves but we have an easier run after the bye .
Probably two games we'll go in underdogs ( Geelong sydney)

ratsmac
12-06-2016, 10:12 AM
West Coast - check
Port in Adelaide - check
Geelong -

If we win one of the next two games (Geelong, Sydney) we should finish top 4.

ReLoad
12-06-2016, 10:35 AM
The thing i like the most about where we are at is we have a LOT of improvement, both in terms of manpower (Wood, JJ, Stevens, Dahl) to come back in, who will be ready for a real tilt come the latter part of the year.

This combined with some players who are clearly down on form like Stringer (fair last quarter though)

With the exception of the Hawks game we have really ground out some wins, they haven't been pretty but have set such a core expectation that we're up for it.

All while we play some really super young kids, Dunkley and Williams, Mclean etc

Id like us to set the benchmark at a prelim this year, but when there guys hit 25-28 holy crap the sky is the limit. Imagine the Bont when he has 100games under his belt!

Smads57
12-06-2016, 11:00 AM
After Geelong's win over Norf last evening, if we were to come out and beat the Cats next week, we'd start to be taken more seriously for this year's premiership by the wider footy community.

At present, I get the feeling non Bulldog's people would 'like' us to do well/win, versus believing we can actually do it this year.

dukedog
12-06-2016, 11:06 AM
The bont is playing some unreal footy. I was watching the game and focusing on macrae and hunter. Man those two boys can run. They dont cut teams up like the bont. But the gut running and possessions they get with link up play is amazing. I have them 2 ........1 and 2 at the best and fairest

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 09:11 PM
With the results this round, I think our top 4 aspirations may hinge on this week against Geelong. Especially if Sydney, Hawthorn & GWS get up during the round. This is going to be huge.

comrade
12-06-2016, 09:26 PM
GWS have the softest 2 games coming up: Essendon and Carlton. They're coming for top 4 in a big way, as are Adelaide.

Going to be so tight for spots, a win this week would be huge.

GVGjr
12-06-2016, 10:10 PM
GWS have the softest 2 games coming up: Essendon and Carlton. They're coming for top 4 in a big way, as are Adelaide.

Going to be so tight for spots, a win this week would be huge.

I'd say both Adelaide and GWS have been the best teams we have played so far this year.

You're right, a win this week would be huge for us.

whythelongface
12-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Our season thus far has been:

WWLWWLWWLWW?

Not a fan of sequences. Let's hope this one is broken.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 10:59 PM

WWLWWLWWLWW?

Booooooooooo. I don't like that.

Edit: worse yet a top 4 finish has a win in the first week, and then a prelim loss....

comrade
12-06-2016, 11:01 PM

WWLWWLWWLWW?

I can already tell you the answer.

We broke it against Port.

Last 3 weeks we've beaten Pies, Eagle & Port.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 11:12 PM

Comrade to the rescue!

whythelongface
12-06-2016, 11:14 PM

thank you. My source was a week behind and i did not pick that up.

Well done you have alleviated any concern that I may have had :)

LostDoggy
12-06-2016, 11:24 PM

WWLWWLWWLWW?

Another stat is Geelong become our tenth consecutive opponent this week coming off a victory the week before.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Had a chance and blew it. Hawthorn have GCS next week so we are likely to have the worst percentage in the top 8 and most likely drop to 7th by our next game. Going to a long bye foe fans having this to think about for a couple of weeks.

Mantis
18-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Get over yourself BT.. We are 9-4 at the bye and have had a shocking run with injuries.. Tonight was bad, but we are sitting ok and we will come again.

Remi Moses
18-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Would the last person to leave please turn the lights out ?
I'd take 9 and 4 at the start of the year, and in particular with the health of our list .
I think we're a bottom part of the eight side, but there isn't much in it with the top 4.
The bye has come at a good time

1eyedog
19-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Had a chance and blew it. Hawthorn have GCS next week so we are likely to have the worst percentage in the top 8 and most likely drop to 7th by our next game. Going to a long bye foe fans having this to think about for a couple of weeks.

We are one game out of top 4 calculations.

We have an easier draw and quality players coming back after the bye. I expect us to be in top 4 calculations post Round 20.

soupman
20-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Not all doom and gloom.

We have done well to hold on to be 9-4 at this point with our injuries and having played some pretty good sides. Multiple good performances in close games to hold on, other games where despite playing like shit we were still within touch (North game) and multiple players demonstrating that despite not being in our best 22 at the start of the year they are certainly worthy of being in consideration now (Daniel, Mclean, Williams, Adams, Campbell, Roughead, Biggs, Redpath).

Looking ahead we really only have 3 games we go into not as outright favourites remaining (Sydney, Geelong and North clashes), should definitely play finals (and hopefully multiple finals) and have top 10 players to return from injury (JJ, Wood, Dahlhaus) with more other best 22 contenders on their way back too (Boyd, Smith, Stevens).

The upside with this season is still massive despite losing to a red hot Geelong. They dropped games to Collingwood and Carlton too, I wonder if their forum was filled with Ï cant see us winning the premiership now" or "Good sides don't drop these games" comments too.

comrade
20-06-2016, 04:01 PM
The upside with this season is still massive despite losing to a red hot Geelong. They dropped games to Collingwood and Carlton too, I wonder if their forum was filled with Ï cant see us winning the premiership now" or "Good sides don't drop these games" comments too.

100% it would have. Footy fans are a predictable bunch.

Greystache
20-06-2016, 05:33 PM

With 3 premierships in the past decade and a proven ability to consistently win big games? I doubt it. Then again they have actually beaten the top teams again this year which actually proves something.

Mantis
20-06-2016, 06:35 PM
With 3 premierships in the past decade and a proven ability to consistently win big games? I doubt it. Then again they have actually beaten the top teams again this year which actually proves something.

So what do we need to do differently next time around?

In terms of games played Saturday nights team had the 2nd lowest amount of games played per player for the season (the lowest was GWS - when we also performed poorly against a top team).. So other than fill the team with those missing what changes (both personnel & game style) do we make?

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2016, 06:10 PM
So what do we need to do differently next time around?

In terms of games played Saturday nights team had the 2nd lowest amount of games played per player for the season (the lowest was GWS - when we also performed poorly against a top team).. So other than fill the team with those missing what changes (both personnel & game style) do we make?

I do not think we have enough class in the midfield to allow players like Dangerfield and Selwood to be let loose without us making them accountable. The same may well occur against Sydney with the likes of Hannebery and Kennedy. Players like Wallis and Picken have the ability to shut down the opposition. I would also like to see Tom Boyd in the team to provide more marking power up forward. This could then allow Roughead to possibly replace Roberts as a key defender. We badly lacked height around the ground against Geelong. With Wood's return it opens up the possibility to move Suckling further up the ground where his kicking power can be put to better use.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-06-2016, 09:13 PM
One things for sure, the return match with the Cats will be season defining and I can't see it being a copy of Saturday's clash. We'll probably have J.J., Dahlhaus, Wood and Toyd back with a few games under their collective belts, Beveridge and the team will be the wiser for this defeat and I can't believe that Selwood and Dangerfield will have as clear a run at it and that we will be beaten at the coalface like we were on Saturday. Geelong could improve overall in the weeks between but one way or another it will be a climax of 2016.

bornadog
21-06-2016, 11:56 PM
I do not think we have enough class in the midfield to allow players like Dangerfield and Selwood to be let loose without us making them accountable. The same may well occur against Sydney with the likes of Hannebery and Kennedy. Players like Wallis and Picken have the ability to shut down the opposition. I would also like to see Tom Boyd in the team to provide more marking power up forward. This could then allow Roughead to possibly replace Roberts as a key defender. We badly lacked height around the ground against Geelong. With Wood's return it opens up the possibility to move Suckling further up the ground where his kicking power can be put to better use.

Zac Smith- 206cm, Stanley 200, Hawkins 198, Blicavs 198, Lonergan 197, Henderson 196

Mantis
22-06-2016, 09:42 AM

1/ we don't tag as a rule so we need to come up with a different idea.. But we did try and have mids play accountable roles on the 2 mentioned on Saturday night, including Wallis, for no effect.

2/ Roberts is a better defender than Roughead.

3/ Boyd in helps, but we need to change the way we move the ball against teams that can defend.

4/ don't mind Suckling moving to a wing, but where do our wingers go?

1eyedog
22-06-2016, 01:39 PM
1/ we don't tag as a rule so we need to come up with a different idea.. But we did try and have mids play accountable roles on the 2 mentioned on Saturday night, including Wallis, for no effect.

3/ Boyd in helps, but we need to change the way we move the ball against teams that can defend.

Reckon Roughie is a better defender than Roberts. Dicko has been playing wing, needs to go deep forward and move Suckers up.

Bulldog4life
22-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Agree with this. Roberts is 11th overall in the competition for spoils average per game according to doggies website.

bornadog
22-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Agree with this. Roberts is 11th overall in the competition for spoils average per game according to doggies website.

I was saying to my mate on Saturday, have you ever seen a one on one situation, where Roberts has won. I have never seen it at all. He may be ok to make a spoil, but at least Roughie can take contested marks and hold his own in a one on one. Roughie's short comings in defence, were more when his opponent lead, he was slow off the mark.

1eyedog
22-06-2016, 05:38 PM
I was saying to my mate on Saturday, have you ever seen a one on one situation, where Roberts has won. I have never seen it at all. He may be ok to make a spoil, but at least Roughie can take contested marks and hold his own in a one on one. Roughie's short comings in defence, were more when his opponent lead, he was slow off the mark.

Yeah that's my take on it BAD. Roughie is not the greatest defender going around but he is far, far more aggressive and attacking than Roberts. Roberts has played 8 games this year and according to footy wire has not taken 1 contested mark, not 1! I remember Mark Austin being top 15 for spoils in the AFL a few years ago. Roberts is such a static footballer, but, if that's what Bevo wants I'm good with it.