PDA

View Full Version : Might everything be falling into place for us?

Twodogs
30-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Ok guys. I know we don't want to face up to this little truth because it's dragging us waaay out of our comfort zone but do we have the rub of the green this season?

Yeah, yeah it's a strange thing to say when we've lost captain Bob to season ending injury and a goal kicker to suspension and run out of our backline for a while but we are 7/3, but we beat Collingwood even though we were the worse team and we seem to umpires are happy to pay us the odd free. Despite some pretty ordinary football we are pretty well placed.

So. Can our luck hold and even improve?

SonofScray
30-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Yes. A flag will wag high over Footscray and the west this year. It is wide open and there for the taking, we are good enough.

ratsmac
30-05-2016, 01:52 AM
The premiership race is definitely wide open but I think we are behind a couple of teams at this stage.

I think our forward line hasn't really worked that well so far this season. It has been OK in spits and spurts. Against North and GWS and probably Collingwood our entry into the forward 50 has been below par, and we found it quite difficult to kick a decent score. If we are to mount any sort of challenge we really need to get all areas of our game running smoothly.

I would like to know what training loads we have been under in the last few weeks because we look tired compared to earlier in the season.

As far as things falling in place this season I thought it would be a little bit the other way with all the injuries we have copped to our defenders.

Anyway we have to beat some top 8 teams before I get too carried away.

Remi Moses
30-05-2016, 02:48 AM
Our defense and deep midfield will keep us in games, but we have to get better going forward and converting those opportunities
After watching the way Sydney dispensed of Norf the other night, I'm not sure we're at that level.
It's still an open season though, and a healthy list could determine it

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2016, 07:26 AM
It is certainly an open season. With the ladder at present there are 7 teams with 7 wins or more.

We have been the best at restricting scores, but we are also worst at kicking scores in those top 7 sides.

To be a chance at the end of the year we need to maintain our defensive performance, but lift the scoring by 2 or 3 goals a week.

comrade
30-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Still think 2017 and beyond are when the whips will really crack but if our best possible 22 is available to us then who knows.

The hype train has moved onto other teams so we're flying a little more under the radar which I don't mind. Happy to just keep chipping away.

Win the next 3 and I'll start getting twitchy.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 09:54 AM
It is not a matter of luck, we have won games simply because we have been the better team. Our workrate is immense and we don't just lie down when the other team gets on top.

I still feel we will finish top 4 and then anything can happen.

Mofra
30-05-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm worried.

Finals like pressure where the ball carrier is harassed and has less time to make decisions and dispose of the ball has exposed us against GWS, North and Collingwood. We need to be able to cope with that kind of pressure before we are legitimate challengers.

I'm not convinced by our forwardline either. We are one of the least threatening and efficient forwardlines in the competition, underlined by last years' final where we dominated play and inside 50s but lost.

At least we know what we need to improve on but we need to actually do it to be a threat.

KT31
30-05-2016, 10:05 AM
It is not a matter of luck, we have won games simply because we have been the better team. Our workrate is immense and we don't just lie down when the other team gets on top.

This is what it really hinges on, we are in a fair group of teams equally capable of snatching a top four position.
I think we are a little behind a couple of sides, still another season away and we need to find a way to kick bigger scores, but if we do manage a top four spot we may just manage to make it into the elusive big one.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2016, 03:05 PM

We are behind Sydney, Norf, Geelong, GWS and perhaps West Coast at this point.

Agree with Mofra's point.

I can't see us challenging just yet, unless we are able to make some dramatic changes to the way we handle pressure and our efficiency. The next few weeks are obviously key and will tell us a fair bit about how close (or far) we are.

bornadog
30-05-2016, 03:14 PM

Last time I checked Sydney has won one more than us and Geelong, Westcoast and GWS are on the same wins.:)

bulldogtragic
30-05-2016, 03:17 PM
We can win it this year, but it'd be a steal like Hawthorn 2008. From next year onwards is our real window with the development of lots on our list and what we can trade, draft or free agent in. We are still the best defensive team and have a deep midfield and contested ball monsters. We get into the 50 more than enough per match. Crameri will help the forwardline next year and hopefully we can find another tall forward.

The main issue is as TBB says, we need to develop composure and raise our skills with getting it into the forward line. If we can fix this up this year that's a huge advantage for going deep into September.

1eyedog
30-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Last time I checked Sydney has won one more than us and Geelong, Westcoast and GWS are on the same wins.:)

Agreed. I think at full strength we are on par with GWS possibly in front of them actually, especially away from Spotless. I think we'll beat North later in the year as well. North are pretenders. West Coast we can cover in Melbourne. Geelong will be the test when we play them twice in the second half of the year, at home and down there. It's funny I think after their showing against the Pies and our win [as well as their capitulation against the Blues], their supporters would say we are on par with them.

Sydney are just a consistently good team and would have to be early favourites.

I think only Sydney and possibly Hawthorn and Geelong are in front of us. The second half of the year will sort out the men from the boys.

comrade
30-05-2016, 03:58 PM
We've got glaring flaws - namely our forward set up isn't working, and our backline leaks goals when our midfield lets them down - but we have 3 months to sort it out and reach our best level of playing which I'm confident we can. Will this be good enough to snatch a flag? Who knows. But our best will take some beating.

Bulldog4life
30-05-2016, 05:39 PM
We've got glaring flaws - namely our forward set up isn't working, and our backline leaks goals when our midfield lets them down - but we have 3 months to sort it out and reach our best level of playing which I'm confident we can. Will this be good enough to snatch a flag? Who knows. But our best will take some beating.

Yes agree on forward line although overall we have the least points kicked against us so I wouldn't say we leak goals Comrade.

Mantis
30-05-2016, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't think you could say this with confidence.

Whilst our form has been variable we aren't alone with this.. It's extremely even at the top and I feel the result of any game between the top 8 sides just comes down to which team executes it's game plan and takes its chances.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 07:14 PM
I am pretty sure we will be significantly better over the next few years but so will GWS. I think this year is as open as I've ever seen it and may come down to finals fixturing, interstate trips etc. Say if interstate sides get to home prelim, avoid playing Vic team in MCG Grand Final etc.

Here's my contenders and what they need/don't need.

North- tough fixture but lots of wins. Need to avoid interstate trip as I don't believe they are good enough to beat quality side away. If they finish top 2 or get paired with Vic side in top 4, they can steal it. A bit like us that they will be forced to play home final at a ground they hardly play on.

Swans- only interstate side I think are a decent chance of beating Vic side that's flying in Melbourne

Cats- obviously showed signs of weakness but I see them as like the Swans, rare side who can beat anyone, anywhere. Issue is putting it together for 3-4 weeks vs the best. Getting a game in Geelong could be massive as it means getting 1 week closer to the Grand Final.

GWS- could go the season undefeated at Spotless. Away form a question mark. Trip to Geelong this weekend will tell us a lot about them.

Eagles- awesome at home, ordinary away. Need to sneak into top 2 via home games + wins against bottom half sides away. Then they need to be matched with a non Vic side in GF. I really consider them flack track bullies. Massive game for them against us.

Bulldogs- we should win a lot at Etihad and are looking like we are at least competitive week in, week out against anyone, anywhere. I think our contested ball puts us within a chance anywhere. An Etihad final would be nice as this flag can be won via just getting past each game for 3-4 weeks. A disadvantage to not really have a home ground. MCG form was been OK and Hawks if they can return to old form only side that really owns that ground vs fellow Vics. Hate being Danny from Droop St but close game in September and us.... it's a culture that simply has to change.

Hawks- who can discard the old champ? They could crawl into the 8 and I wouldn't discard them (unless more key players are injured). Having your home ground being the same one as where the Grand Final is played is pretty massive. Not discrediting their achievements but think about if the GF was at Subi, SCG etc, how much easier it would be for Eagles and Swans.

Crows- think it's going to be the hardest for them out of my top 8. Think they will struggle traveling to fellow interstater. Look decent enough in Victoria though but would steal 1 game max. They also haven't been great in close games this year.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 07:23 PM
People talk about premierships as being so romantic, everyone having to be so champion like. The team that beats anyone, anywhere!!! Who cares about it being the MCG? Champions win anywhere!!!

I rarely think that's true but never more than this season. The side who wins the premiership could be the one who get through the Grand Final by a bit of luck fixture wise and/or via finishing top 2.

Giants playing at Spotless, us or North Etihad, Geelong at Kardina... will be absolutely massive, one week closer to the Granny.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Keep the calendar clear WOOFers, we'll be playing a lot of football after round 23 comes to an end.

AndrewP6
30-05-2016, 08:42 PM
No, can't see it this year. Too many missing players, our F50 entry and conversions aren't good enough. That said, I'm enjoying the season, seeing the young Pups contribute, and showing some great talent. The recruiters/development team deserve a pat on the back too.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2016, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't think you could say this with confidence.

Whilst our form has been variable we aren't alone with this.. It's extremely even at the top and I feel the result of any game between the top 8 sides just comes down to which team executes it's game plan and takes its chances.

True, but until we beat a top 4 side I feel we're a little bit below them. Obviously we should have beaten Hawthorn and were close enough to Norf, we've been hit hard by injuries so we were never really going to topple GWS but I can't help but feel we're not able to score enough against the best sides yet. I keep coming back to it but Crameri's absence is huge and Stringer is having a poor year outside of 2-3 games.

I think we need to re-jig our forward set-up. That might mean dropping Roughead, who has been OK, and bringing in Boyd so that we have two talls. It might also mean sacrificing McLean (high talent) for Honeychurch or Hrovat when fit (both better at forward pressure).

JJ is incredibly important too, obviously.

We'd need a lot to go right, but you're right - it's a very open year and it's anyone's Premiership. I suspect much of it will come down to luck (injuries, form at the right time, venue of finals)

Rocco Jones
30-05-2016, 11:22 PM
The way I see this season is that we have 0 premiership contender type teams and eight top 4 type teams.

hujsh
30-05-2016, 11:31 PM
The way I see this season is that we have 0 premiership contender type teams and eight top 4 type teams.

Calling it now, I'm going to steal that observation and use it as my own some time soon.

Twodogs
30-05-2016, 11:49 PM
So this is pretty much the National AFL Dream writ large. Half the teams with a rough chance at the prize and half the teams rebuilding for another shot.

SonofScray
31-05-2016, 01:15 AM
FWIW, just woke up from a nap on the couch during which I had a wonderful dream. It involved a GWS V FFC grand final, we all got to go because there are SFA GWS fans. We won by 4 goals. Dougie presented the Cup. There was a pitch invasion at the final siren. It was glorious.

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 04:28 AM
I am pretty sure we will be significantly better over the next few years but so will GWS. I think this year is as open as I've ever seen it and may come down to finals fixturing, interstate trips etc. Say if interstate sides get to home prelim, avoid playing Vic team in MCG Grand Final etc.

Here's my contenders and what they need/don't need.

North- tough fixture but lots of wins. Need to avoid interstate trip as I don't believe they are good enough to beat quality side away. If they finish top 2 or get paired with Vic side in top 4, they can steal it. A bit like us that they will be forced to play home final at a ground they hardly play on.

Swans- only interstate side I think are a decent chance of beating Vic side that's flying in Melbourne

Cats- obviously showed signs of weakness but I see them as like the Swans, rare side who can beat anyone, anywhere. Issue is putting it together for 3-4 weeks vs the best. Getting a game in Geelong could be massive as it means getting 1 week closer to the Grand Final.

GWS- could go the season undefeated at Spotless. Away form a question mark. Trip to Geelong this weekend will tell us a lot about them.

Eagles- awesome at home, ordinary away. Need to sneak into top 2 via home games + wins against bottom half sides away. Then they need to be matched with a non Vic side in GF. I really consider them flack track bullies. Massive game for them against us.

Bulldogs- we should win a lot at Etihad and are looking like we are at least competitive week in, week out against anyone, anywhere. I think our contested ball puts us within a chance anywhere. An Etihad final would be nice as this flag can be won via just getting past each game for 3-4 weeks. A disadvantage to not really have a home ground. MCG form was been OK and Hawks if they can return to old form only side that really owns that ground vs fellow Vics. Hate being Danny from Droop St but close game in September and us.... it's a culture that simply has to change.

Hawks- who can discard the old champ? They could crawl into the 8 and I wouldn't discard them (unless more key players are injured). Having your home ground being the same one as where the Grand Final is played is pretty massive. Not discrediting their achievements but think about if the GF was at Subi, SCG etc, how much easier it would be for Eagles and Swans.

Crows- think it's going to be the hardest for them out of my top 8. Think they will struggle traveling to fellow interstater. Look decent enough in Victoria though but would steal 1 game max. They also haven't been great in close games this year.

Good take on it all Rocco

Here's my 2 cents

North: Have won plenty but there is history with teams dropping off a little after such a start. They got us at a good time but won't beat us again, I can see them having to fight to hang onto 4th.

Swans: Healthy List. Fave for the flag for mine, will finish top and be mighty hard to knock off up there. Will probably go straight through.

Cats: Like you said have some chinks but the bloke from Adelaide has steeled their middle will be top 4. Probably 2nd.

Gws: Injuries have kept them at bay but are 1yr away from dominating, now hopefully they don't get a home final would love to see them get Swans 1st final then have to travel, stuff the Afl.

WC: Healthy List but like you said just bullies but big bullies at home. Their last two weeks will be telling. Massive game for them and us this week.

Dogs: Huge game as was last week, but would love to see Adams on Kennedy. Our injuries have been just our luck and we must hold our percentage for the rest as it might be all the difference later. We are getting healthier which is key to our shot at getting to the big dance. I thought when Bobby went down adding onto losing Crameri already that our dream was over but I've changed my mind, we need JJ back and keep him and Easton healthy. Them two and Suckersss can take us deep very deep into September.

Hawks: Losing Roughy is terrible news for them hopefully he is alright (I had it in exactly same spot on my lip) but I think it mean they drop off a couple of games which is the difference between 3rd and 7th. Lake and Roughy are huge outs, Surely they have had enough.

Crows: Better than most think and getting games into Tex is crucial. Suspect through the middle now without Danger should finish 8th, but like last year capable of shaking the tree. I wouldn't mind another crack if need be.

Like you said Rocco it's open and the fixturing will be telling in the first finals. 3 big games this week. Who can keep the healthiest, list and percentage will be critical later.

I have Sydney then throw a blanket on the rest, will our stars align? If we keep the injuries to a minimum we can get to the dance, I've always feared we will meet the AFL's machine head on when we both roll together next year. I'm praying we can sneak a shot at it early!

LostDoggy
31-05-2016, 10:40 AM
A lot of things have fallen our way this year, but the glaring contradiction is the season ending injury to Bob. With him out I find it hard to get the feeling that the stars are aligning for us this year.

I hope I am wrong but this feels like a year for big steps forward and laying further groundwork for multiple flag opportunities over the coming years.

That being said, we are in with a real shot. Flags aren't necessarily won by the teams playing best in the first half of the year. All we can do is chalk up enough wins to be on Top 4 pace and steadily improve when heading towards the finals.

I agree with the idea that the season is wide open. Of the other teams who are 7-3 or better, all have queries;

- North hit the ground running but are asking a lot of a very old list to hold this form season long. Can see them being vulnerable late.
- Sydney have a brilliant midfield but are heavily reliant on a couple of forwards who have their fragilities whilst their backline is very thin. They are far from the complete package some in the media are starting to talk about and really need their mids to dominate,
- Geelong are another heavily reliant on a few, they need everything to go right and a lot more from those outside their top 10,
- GWS have minimal big stage experience and were exposed a bit against Adelaide in front of a big crowd in a night timeslot. Hard to see them being fully ready come September. Will likely benefit enormously from this campaign,
- Hawthorns aging champion core of Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Roughead and Gibson are already showing that they can't contribute as heavily as often for varying reasons. If a few of these aren't at full capacity in September, it's hard to see Hawthorn maintaining their dominance,
- WCE are not the same team away from Perth. Good enough in tight and forward to beat up modest opponents but look light on for run and spread midfielders and quality ball users when under pressure.

Ozza
31-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I think that we have been very good this season, with 7-3 being an excellent start given that we have had no stability in our line up outside of the midfield group.

The three losses we have had, we've have been in all of these games - GWS being the one where we had the least chance of winning during the game, but were still a chance with 10 minutes to go. And that GWS loss was when we had 7-8 of our best 22 out.

We've dominated the lesser sides in the way that we should. Plenty (including myself) were frustrated with the Carlton game - but getting 3 injuries in that game hurt - and Carlton have since won 5 out of 6 - and after the beat Brisbane this week, they'll be 9th on the ladder. So a comfortable 36 point win is probably quite good.

I expect our best footy will come after the bye as we hopefully reach full strength, and the players who have been injured will have gotten continuity in their footy by then. I think we can make the top 4 - and then anything is possible from there. I don't think any team can afford to think 'well 2017 & 2018 will be our years'. Port probably thought 2014 & 2015 would be their years.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Who is everyone's favourite at the moment? Right now I think Sydney look the best bet but I don't nominate them with a lot of confidence because I can see a few flaws (they only increase when Tahlia returns) in their lineup.

We are in this competition up to our eyeballs.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 12:24 PM
I think that we have been very good this season, with 7-3 being an excellent start given that we have had no stability in our line up outside of the midfield group.

The three losses we have had, we've have been in all of these games - GWS being the one where we had the least chance of winning during the game, but were still a chance with 10 minutes to go. And that GWS loss was when we had 7-8 of our best 22 out.

We've dominated the lesser sides in the way that we should. Plenty (including myself) were frustrated with the Carlton game - but getting 3 injuries in that game hurt - and Carlton have since won 5 out of 6 - and after the beat Brisbane this week, they'll be 9th on the ladder. So a comfortable 36 point win is probably quite good.

I expect our best footy will come after the bye as we hopefully reach full strength, and the players who have been injured will have gotten continuity in their footy by then. I think we can make the top 4 - and then anything is possible from there. I don't think any team can afford to think 'well 2017 & 2018 will be our years'. Port probably thought 2014 & 2015 would be their years.

I completely agree. Who knows what happens next year? Ths year is the one we need to concentrate all our efforts on because the prize is sitting there waiting for a team to push its way to the front of the queue and snatch it.

There is a Yabby Jeansism that I like "it's sooner than you think" Let's take this chance.

Mofra
31-05-2016, 12:31 PM
I completely agree. Who knows what happens next year? Ths year is the one we need to concentrate all our efforts on because the prize is sitting there waiting for a team to push its way to the front of the queue and snatch it.

There is a Yabby Jeansism that I like "it's sooner than you think" Let's take this chance.
We had a little bit of that last year - instead of "building towards finals in a couple of years" we made a real push and got there in Bevo's first year, despite losing both our B&F and our Captain from 2014.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 12:34 PM
FWIW, just woke up from a nap on the couch during which I had a wonderful dream. It involved a GWS V FFC grand final, we all got to go because there are SFA GWS fans. We won by 4 goals. Dougie presented the Cup. There was a pitch invasion at the final siren. It was glorious.

Doug probably is the logical nomination to present our cup.

comrade
31-05-2016, 12:39 PM
A Dogs v Giants GF would be glorious.

Mofra
31-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Doug probably is the logical nomination to present our cup.
The first time in AFL history the cup was filled with VB instead of champagne.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 02:41 PM
We had a little bit of that last year - instead of "building towards finals in a couple of years" we made a real push and got there in Bevo's first year, despite losing both our B&F and our Captain from 2014.

Good statement wasn't it? Last year was one of the vintage seasons. It was so enjoyable.

It was a bit of an ubrupt ending though. Have to knock a couple of stars of for that.

It would be awesome. But I'm happy to beat anyone on GF day.

The first time in AFL history the cup was filled with VB instead of champagne.

Still wrapped in its six pack.

1eyedog
31-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Who is everyone's favourite at the moment? Right now I think Sydney look the best bet but I don't nominate them with a lot of confidence because I can see a few flaws (they only increase when Tahlia returns) in their lineup.

We are in this competition up to our eyeballs.

Right now the Bulldogs.

Keep rubbing that get well juice on that hammy JJ.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2016, 04:06 PM

Only if we win. Losing to them would be salt in the wound stuff.

comrade
31-05-2016, 05:14 PM

I can't comprehend a world where we lose to the Giants in a GF.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 05:29 PM

I can't comprehend a world where we lose to the Giants in a GF.

Chin up.

Swear revenge.

Rocco Jones
31-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Swans are the only side who I rate if the cards don't fall their way.

Twodogs
31-05-2016, 05:34 PM
I looked into the world of pain a grand final loss to anyone brings at about the ten minute mark of the last quarter of the 2014 VFL GF. Luckily Liam Jones thrust us on his broad shoulders and carried us to victory and earned all that money Carlton is giving him by winning a flag for Footscray.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I looked into the world of pain a grand final loss to anyone brings at about the ten minute mark of the last quarter of the 2014 VFL GF. Luckily Liam Jones thrust us on his broad shoulders and carried us to victory and earned all that money Carlton is giving him by winning a flag for Footscray.

Throughout that premiership I always felt optimistic but early in the last I questioned whether the optimism had outlived the reality. Then came the fight of our lives and glorious it was and so shall be.
However for now, just one week at a time but... JJ will get back, Jake will get better, Dickson will get more match fitness, Wallis and co will continue to give 100% and Tom Boyd will return, learn to lead, to mark and to goal.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2016, 03:58 PM
If we had Crameri we would be stretching teams. He's a huge out.

Collingwood, Melbourne, and GWS, can match or beat us if they bring their A grade side and A game.
We can beat Hawks / Sydney but only by bringing ours.

This club is on an upward climb in every corner of its existence, but that might not mean we win a final soon. A lot comes down to luck at the business end.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2016, 10:59 PM
********Spoiler alert everyone*************

I went whole hog and predicted the rest of the games with ladder predictor on AFL site. Do not read pass the next couple of lines if you do not want spoilers....

- Doggies finish 4th but for some reason I got all negative about us in the finals and had us going out in straight sets (despite our impeccable record in semi-finals!). Swans at SCG and Hawks at the MCG. Rough.
- Gil's wet dream of a Swans vs GWS prelim as well as the Cats vs Hawks. Swans beat GWS at SCG and Cats beat a tired Hawks side after they break our hearts.
- Swans beat the Cats in the GF.

(Maybe I should use invisible spoiler tag GVG).

bulldogtragic
01-06-2016, 11:02 PM
So you're working off the basis Tahleeya won't give up the Swans tactics after he's overlooked for the QF. Brave man.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2016, 11:10 PM
So you're working off the basis Tahleeya won't give up the Swans tactics after he's overlooked for the QF. Brave man.

I was doing the AFL predictor not the NEAFL one.

NEAFL predictor has NT Thunder beating Sydney Swans Reserves due to tactical intelligence after Talia is overlooked.

jeemak
01-06-2016, 11:42 PM
I've been thinking about this thread a little, and I think our destiny is in the hands of the Gods firstly, and then ourselves secondly.

As an atheist, I can't worry about the Gods in any sense, so scrap the above reference to the Gods and forget I even mentioned them. As for us, we need to stay healthy obviously, but I think a seismic shift in forward set up will either make or break us.

When Toyd is ready to go I want him in the side alongside Red, with Rough and TC remaining in the ruck. We've won recently with pathetic forward pressure from our smaller to mid-size forwards barely kicking goals. Why can't we improve going tall for the first time since I was in nappies?

If we get that right and can find ourselves stretching defencive units from opposition teams even when we just bomb it we'll be a genuine threat.

1eyedog
02-06-2016, 10:35 AM
I've been thinking about this thread a little, and I think our destiny is in the hands of the Gods firstly, and then ourselves secondly.

As an atheist, I can't worry about the Gods in any sense, so scrap the above reference to the Gods and forget I even mentioned them. As for us, we need to stay healthy obviously, but I think a seismic shift in forward set up will either make or break us.

When Toyd is ready to go I want him in the side alongside Red, with Rough and TC remaining in the ruck. We've won recently with pathetic forward pressure from our smaller to mid-size forwards barely kicking goals. Why can't we improve going tall for the first time since I was in nappies?

If we get that right and can find ourselves stretching defencive units from opposition teams even when we just bomb it we'll be a genuine threat.

Yeah I think the odd sacrificed heifer to Odin wouldn't hurt though???

We've got the personnel we just need to have a ship shape list at the pointy end, play our best footy when it counts and sacrifice enough heifers.

Did I mention we need to sacrifice heifers? Well we, do, we need to sacrifice heifers, and drink wine, and put pins in Buddy Franklin dolls.

bornadog
02-06-2016, 11:03 AM
I have really been enjoying this season to date. I know that going to a game we have every chance to beat the opposition and hold no fears. I am still nervous and apprehensive at each game even when we are 40 points up. Somehow I am expecting a big comeback from the opposition. It's a great feeling winning and when I check the ladder during the week I am still looking at the wrong end and suddenly I realise we are only one game shy of second spot.

For the second half of the season, the area that must fall into place is not losing any more players to injury. With JJ, Boyd and Stevens being the only best 22 players out (not counting those that can't come back into the team this year) but ready to come back in the second half, we will be hard to beat and a top 4 spot beckons.

Twodogs
02-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Yeah I think the odd sacrificed heifer to Odin wouldn't hurt though???

We've got the personnel we just need to have a ship shape list at the pointy end, play our best footy when it counts and sacrifice enough heifers.

Did I mention we need to sacrifice heifers? Well we, do, we need to sacrifice heifers, and drink wine, and put pins in Buddy Franklin dolls.

Aren't we supposed to drink the blood of the slain heifer?

1eyedog
03-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Aren't we supposed to drink the blood of the slain heifer?

Whoa keep it real big fella!

Twodogs
03-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Whoa keep it real big fella!

OK. I won't ask my other question then.

Hotdog60
03-06-2016, 06:38 AM
OK. I won't ask my other question then.

You would have trouble finding one these days......

Twodogs
03-06-2016, 06:58 AM
You would have trouble finding one these days......

You would.

Anf absolutely no luck with 3 wise men. Not in this town.

hujsh
03-06-2016, 11:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtOblu3Mp48&feature=youtu.be&t=28

Skip to 28 second mark if it doesn't do it automatically

SonofScray
16-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Good evening Scraggers,

I am of the belief that a flag will wag this year and was just contemplating what I expected to feel and experience at the mid way mark of The Season which predicates The Day.

'97 and '09 felt like "our year" for significant periods of time on the back of the joy of winning frequently and the general emotion. While I still feel like they were chances that went needlessly begging I conceed that I was carried away by it all.

This year I have a more meticulous, matter of fact, clinical expectation. It doesn't feel like a whirlwind, emotional roller coaster. Just an inevitability. I wonder when the fever pitch, ecstasy of gold, maniacal behaviours will start creeping in? I always imagined that is how I would be.

TFWW

comrade
16-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Good evening Scraggers,

I am of the belief that a flag will wag this year and was just contemplating what I expected to feel and experience at the mid way mark of The Season which predicates The Day.

'97 and '09 felt like "our year" for significant periods of time on the back of the joy of winning frequently and the general emotion. While I still feel like they were chances that went needlessly begging I conceed that I was carried away by it all.

This year I have a more meticulous, matter of fact, clinical expectation. It doesn't feel like a whirlwind, emotional roller coaster. Just an inevitability. I wonder when the fever pitch, ecstasy of gold, maniacal behaviours will start creeping in? I always imagined that is how I would be.

TFWW

Probably 30 seconds before the siren goes when we're 5 goals up.

Twodogs
17-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Probably 30 seconds before the siren goes when we're 5 goals up.

Yeah, I dunno. Any number of things could go wrong. We could have to many players on the ground and they for got to revoke the old rule for Grand Finals or the world could end or something.

Twodogs
17-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Or we could have accidently played an unregistered player. Or the electricity at the ground could fail and they have to replay the game.

Geez the possibilities are endless.

bornadog
17-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I dunno. Any number of things could go wrong. We could have to many players on the ground and they for got to revoke the old rule for Grand Finals or the world could end or something.

Or we could have accidently played an unregistered player. Or the electricity at the ground could fail and they have to replay the game.

Geez the possibilities are endless.

Yeah, I would want to hear the siren before I was convinced.:D

SonofScray
17-06-2016, 08:18 PM
I am getting my tattoo done in advance.

Twodogs
18-06-2016, 02:58 AM
I am getting my tattoo done in advance.

Leave plenty of space for all the other flags as well

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Short answer. Nope.