YES!

Got him.

The Coon Dog
11-12-2007, 11:16 AM
1 D Gourdis Richmond Subiaco
2 D Pfeiffer Carlton Adelaide
3 S Martin Melbourne Sandringham
4 S Welsh Western Bulldogs Adelaide
5 J Williams Essendon Morningside - Tom's brother!
6 J Head Fremantle South Fremantle
7 P McGinnity West Coast Eagles Claremont
8 T Bellchambers Essendon Tassie Mariners

Throughandthrough
11-12-2007, 11:20 AM
And sucked in for Calton...

Pfeiffer is well known in Adelaide for his off field life.

He will be celebrating with a few beers...............

aker39
11-12-2007, 11:21 AM
[/B]
5 J Williams Essendon Morningside

This is Tom's brother

DOG GOD
11-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Now hopefully Scotty can produce the goods. Looking fwd to see how him and johnno work in tandem.

Welcome aboard.

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2007, 12:04 PM

Hmm. Scott Welsh has a bit of a rep for that as well.

Maybe living in Adelaide you simply need to drink?

The Underdog
11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Hmm. Scott Welsh has a bit of a rep for that as well.

Maybe living in Adelaide you simply need to drink?

What else are you gonna do?:D

Templeton31
11-12-2007, 12:10 PM
happy to have another fwd on board, just hope his fitness/injuries are a-ok. His history indicates as long as he gets on the park he goes alright but has also had years where he hardly plays a game.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2007, 12:20 PM
happy to have another fwd on board, just hope his fitness/injuries are a-ok. His history indicates as long as he gets on the park he goes alright but has also had years where he hardly plays a game.

You've hit it on the head Templeton

The guy is a classy player when fit, theres no doubting it, hes that 3rd tall option who is excellent on the lead and on the ground.

Templeton31
11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
from the times I've noticed him playing for adelaide I wouldnt be counting on his "defensive pressure" and any Matty Robbins style chase-downs. I reckon he got quite a few freebie goals for the Crows against us through not chasing and then being on the end of a turnover. but I will be looking forward to a few speccys and the odd 5+ goal bag.

Dancin' Douggy
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Any info on the rookies anyone?

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
from the times I've noticed him playing for adelaide I wouldnt be counting on his "defensive pressure" and any Matty Robbins style chase-downs. I reckon he got quite a few freebie goals for the Crows against us through not chasing and then being on the end of a turnover. but I will be looking forward to a few speccys and the odd 5+ goal bag.

I haven't followed him that much but thought he was the type of player to do as you say, however, reports from Crows fans actually suggest that defensive pressure is one of his strengths. If true, this will be a very valuable bonus as ourt lack of forward defensive pressure was one of our key weaknesses last season.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
What are the reports on Tom's brother? Is he going to be a player? I imagine he packs a similar build to Tom.

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2007, 01:03 PM
What are the reports on Tom's brother? Is he going to be a player? I imagine he packs a similar build to Tom.

3 inches shorter than Tom

hujsh
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
5 J Williams Essendon Morningside - Tom's brother!

MORNINGSIDE FOR LIFE! (who gets that?);)

LostDoggy
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM

A second chance might just be the tonic

The Coon Dog
11-12-2007, 10:41 PM
From the club's website.

Welsh touches down just hours after selection (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=4112&newsId=54216)

Welsh could play up to four seasons: Eade (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=4112&newsId=54200)

LostDoggy
16-12-2007, 10:10 AM

I was talking about this with my brother the other day and he said the same thing. I read somewhere that Eade thought Welsh might be able to play centre half forward but if he doesnt have that defensive mindset that could be a liability.
The thought of having Minson who is to slow to match his opponent and Weslh who has little defensive presence playing as deep forwards could see the ball rebounding out of the forward line quickly when the ball spills to the ground.

wimberga
16-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I was talking about this with my brother the other day and he said the same thing. I read somewhere that Eade thought Welsh might be able to play centre half forward but if he doesnt have that defensive mindset that could be a liability.
The thought of having Minson who is to slow to match his opponent and Weslh who has little defensive presence playing as deep forwards could see the ball rebounding out of the forward line quickly when the ball spills to the ground.

Makes M.Hahn invaluable to the forward line, and to a lesser extent, an ever-improving J. Harbrow.

LostDoggy
16-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm not sold on Harbrow. Lynch will be a better option.

Mofra
16-12-2007, 06:08 PM
MORNINGSIDE FOR LIFE! (who gets that?);)

Bro-Town eh?

LostDoggy
16-12-2007, 07:40 PM

What areas of Harbrows game concerns you?
You might be right about Lynch but I can't find too many faults with Harbrows effort last season.

hujsh
16-12-2007, 07:50 PM
What areas of Harbrows game concerns you?
You might be right about Lynch but I can't find too many faults with Harbrows effort last season.

Harbrow is a impressive mover (looks allot like Acker the way he plays) but being a rookie he may have been seen as someone with less upside so he hay have to keep improving and stay consistent. But i don't really know

bornadog
16-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Harbrow is a impressive mover (looks allot like Acker the way he plays) but being a rookie he may have been seen as someone with less upside so he hay have to keep improving and stay consistent. But i don't really know

He is training well at the moment and looking really good, this kid is going to be something special.

Go_Dogs
17-12-2007, 11:01 AM
He is training well at the moment and looking really good, this kid is going to be something special.

Agreed. He's been super impressive, and that is what I think separates him from the other 2006 draftees at this stage (besides Everitt) is that he has a huge upside, and has been quickly able to develop to the AFL level, and will continue to.

Sockeye Salmon
17-12-2007, 11:12 AM

I don't understand how you can think this.

Lynch has done nothing at all so far, even for Werribee, while Harbrow has been a solid (if not spectacular) contributor at senior level.

LostDoggy
17-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I think Lynch has more tricks than Harbrow and a bit more pace. More 'magic' if you will. In 2 years he will be a better player. Not to say Harbrow will be a dud, he might be ok, but its Lynch for me

Bulldog Revolution
17-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't understand how you can think this.

Lynch has done nothing at all so far, even for Werribee, while Harbrow has been a solid (if not spectacular) contributor at senior level.

I'd slightly disagree with that Sockeye,

Clearly Harbrow had a much better season and was solid - He will need more tricks to hold his ground in year 2 but he should get that with additional strength, fitness and skill.

But I thought Lynch was pretty lively in his debut game in Darwin and he showed flashes at W'Bee that he could be a pretty dynamic player

Sockeye Salmon
17-12-2007, 05:10 PM
AFL

Harbrow 11 games, ave 12.5 touches, 3.5 tackles, 3 goals in total.
Lynch 1 game, 10 touches, 3 tackles, no goals.

VFL

Harbrow kicked 10 goals in 7 games and got in the bests 3 times.
Lynch kicked 13 goals in 10 games and got in the bests once.

In what way did Lynch look better than Harbrow?

hujsh
17-12-2007, 08:54 PM
AFL

Harbrow 11 games, ave 12.5 touches, 3.5 tackles, 3 goals in total.
Lynch 1 game, 10 touches, 3 tackles, no goals.

VFL

Harbrow kicked 10 goals in 7 games and got in the bests 3 times.
Lynch kicked 13 goals in 10 games and got in the bests once.

In what way did Lynch look better than Harbrow?

Did Lynch not play against the Kangas? i thought he got an injury in that game :confused:

LostDoggy
17-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Yes he did. He played against Freo aswell. Which 2 bits of brilliance resulted in goals. Its not all about stats Sockeye salmon

LostDoggy
17-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Yes he did. He played against Freo aswell. Which 2 bits of brilliance resulted in goals. Its not all about stats Sockeye salmon

Where is your proof then to back up your theory?
At the moment Harbrow is well ahead of Lynch.

LostDoggy
17-12-2007, 11:20 PM
I think he will better player than Harbrow. He has a lot more natural/raw talent. I dont care what stats they had last year, im talking bigger picture.

hujsh
18-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Where is your proof then to back up your theory?
At the moment Harbrow is well ahead of Lynch.

But not everything in football can be proven with statistics. I remember those little bits of magic very well. That said Harbrow is ahead of Lynch, yet Lynch feels like he has more magic in him. But it's just a feeling

ps. This forum is really of topic. Still good but

FrediKanoute
18-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I think where Jerry is coming from is not that Harbrow is bad or is a dud, but that Lynch will be the flashier/more damaging player in the longer term because he has an extra yard of pace and more innate indigenous Australians skills.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 10:19 AM
He also wrote he was sold on Harbrow but considers Lynch a better option. Stats or no stats anyone that watches the game properly would question that when Harbrow has shown a lot more than Lynch.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I remember those little bits of magic very well. That said Harbrow is ahead of Lynch, yet Lynch feels like he has more magic in him. But it's just a feeling

Please enlighten us with those 'magical moments' because I don't recall them. People generally paint pretty pictures of 1st gamers when they do something thats routine. eg Williams first 2 possessions against Richmond. We love to feel the new guy is the going to be the 'saviour'.
In the end Lynch only got a game because it was in Darwin, he might make a player one day but isn't close to the best 22 atm.
If someone is going to say they aren't sold on Harbrow then build up Lynch in the same sentence then it deserves questioning.

Twodogs
18-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I've seen Harbrow and Lynch matched up to each other at training a few times. Lynch is flashier but Harbrow always stitches him up with better footy smarts and a cooler head.

I'll be suprised if Lynch isnt a good player though.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 10:55 AM
In his first game he marked the ball near the wing and did a little 'shuffle' that completely confused his opponent. It set up a goal from nowhere, in a very tight match. There was other little glimpses to say that he 'could' be a player. I think Harbrow looks a little slow for his size anyway

Mofra
18-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Harbrow has a better defensive game than Lynch. If you were talking positions, Lynch would be more a FP crumber, Harbrow would be better suited to a HFF to create opportunities & to negate the opposition quarterback (eg. playing on a McLeod type player) to reduce the effect of opposition rebound football.

Dogs 24/7
18-12-2007, 07:03 PM

I think he will better player than Harbrow. He has a lot more natural/raw talent. I dont care what stats they had last year, im talking bigger picture.
Long term you might be right but at this moment that is just pure speculation because Harbrow achieved so much more than Lynch did during the season. Im not knocking Lynch but Harbrow starts next season well ahead of him.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 07:17 PM
In his first game he marked the ball near the wing and did a little 'shuffle' that completely confused his opponent. It set up a goal from nowhere, in a very tight match. There was other little glimpses to say that he 'could' be a player. I think Harbrow looks a little slow for his size anyway

Goal for no where? Read my point of how some supporters try making something special when it was really just routine.

Harbrow a little slow is another good one.

hujsh
18-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Please enlighten us with those 'magical moments' because I don't recall them. People generally paint pretty pictures of 1st gamers when they do something thats routine. eg Williams first 2 possessions against Richmond. We love to feel the new guy is the going to be the 'saviour'.
In the end Lynch only got a game because it was in Darwin, he might make a player one day but isn't close to the best 22 atm.
If someone is going to say they aren't sold on Harbrow then build up Lynch in the same sentence then it deserves questioning.

Just his involvement in a couple of goals late in to his first game was impressive. I'm pretty sure that he setup Johnno and his debut was just more memorable than Harbrows. Looking back it was a mistake to say i remember them well but Lynch does have more raw talent.

Also i never said that i was not sold on Harbrow, only that Lynch's potential may be higher

hujsh
18-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Goal for no where? Read my point of how some supporters try making something special when it was really just routine.

Harbrow a little slow is another good one.

Setting a goal up is more impressive that 2 possesions. While it may be normal for AFL players (but not all of them) to have the confidence to use their tricks to evade players, for a first gamer to do it is impressive.

While Harbrow is not slow he isn't stereotypical Aboriginal quick. Not slow but not blistering

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 10:45 PM
You should watch the tape ErnieSigley if you cant remember it. It was a classy piece of play. And no i dont over rate first gamers. And to be Harbrows size you have to very quick or super talented, i dont think he is either at this stage. Thats my only query with Harbrow.

wimberga
18-12-2007, 11:31 PM
You should watch the tape ErnieSigley if you cant remember it. It was a classy piece of play. And no i dont over rate first gamers. And to be Harbrows size you have to very quick or super talented, i dont think he is either at this stage. Thats my only query with Harbrow.

Thats a fair point Jerry, but we have alot of very quick players, and alot of super talented players in our team already. Harbrow is a very good tackler from what i have seen and has good decision making, which cannot be said for some of our other players. It is as much about team balance as individual talent.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Just his involvement in a couple of goals late in to his first game was impressive. I'm pretty sure that he setup Johnno and his debut was just more memorable than Harbrows.
Lynch was so impressive on debut that after he was injured he never was promoted again. Not like we needed good players in the side at the end of the year.
You guys are making a mountain out of mole hill.

Looking back it was a mistake to say i remember them well but Lynch does have more raw talent.
No one is disputing that view of yours or Jerry just that you can't write off Harbrow in the same sentence.

Also i never said that i was not sold on Harbrow, only that Lynch's potential may be higher
I never said you said that it was Jerry.

LostDoggy
18-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I saw the game, Lynch did a little more than expected of him but nothing to base a career on.
Your impression of Lynch is improved because we won the game he played, and if you count his injury didn't play in a loss so can't be blamed. Harbrow played in a number of losing games so fans make him share the blame.
Harbrow is talented and quick, not sure where you get the idea he isn't either.

hujsh
19-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Lynch was so impressive on debut that after he was injured he never was promoted again. Not like we needed good players in the side at the end of the year.
You guys are making a mountain out of mole hill.

I never said you said that it was Jerry.

Sorry my mistake but that is pretty harsh on Lynch. I mean it's not like one more light player would revive our season. It was a time to try out players like Doogs, Power, Wight and McMahon to see what contributions they could make in season 08.
The point that has been made of Lynch is that he has shown the signs of being a good player in the future and playing in a weak team getting smashed won't do him too many favors at this stage of his career.

LostDoggy
19-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Sorry my mistake but that is pretty harsh on Lynch. I mean it's not like one more light player would revive our season. It was a time to try out players like Doogs, Power, Wight and McMahon to see what contributions they could make in season 08.
How is it harsh on Lynch? I'm not saying he will never make it, I'm just stating what is closer to the truth. He is very young, small, light and raw. He only got a game because it was in Darwin. His performance was good enough for another week but it there was nothing outstanding to it. Encouraging yes.

We ran out of runners late in the year and Lynch was an ideal candidate if he was ready. We were a chance for the finals still so trying players out wasn't an option til the last couple of rounds.

The point that has been made of Lynch is that he has shown the signs of being a good player in the future and playing in a weak team getting smashed won't do him too many favors at this stage of his career.
Everyone agrees with that and is not disputing that. Its the call that Lynch is good but Harbrow isn't.

Go_Dogs
19-12-2007, 10:36 AM
At this stage Harbrow is certainly above Lynch. He played more senior football, did very well and is being a bit under-sold by a few here. Let's not forget he was a leader at TAC level, and obviously has a very good head on his body, much like Lynch does.

FWIW, I think both will make it at AFL level. I don't want to speculate who'll end up the better player, but as of now, it's certainly Harbrow.

LostDoggy
19-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Turn it up Ernie Sigley! To be honest i dont rate 50% of the players on the Bulldogs list. If 'doogs', Skipper and Tiller were playing outside my kitchen window i would shut the blinds. I dont get carried away with players like some footy fans i know. I just think Lynch looks the goods, better than Harbrow. Im sure a lot of people rate Griffen infront of Cooney although Cooney has the runs on the board.

hujsh
19-12-2007, 03:23 PM
How is it harsh on Lynch? I'm not saying he will never make it, I'm just stating what is closer to the truth. He is very young, small, light and raw. He only got a game because it was in Darwin. His performance was good enough for another week but it there was nothing outstanding to it. Encouraging yes.

We ran out of runners late in the year and Lynch was an ideal candidate if he was ready. We were a chance for the finals still so trying players out wasn't an option til the last couple of rounds.

Ok. So your point is that he didn't do enough in that game to make the club say he is in our best 25 he should play which makes his debut average. Where we were more excited by the good things he did and how he did them and foused on that more that his overall performance. And you didn't like the call someone made that Harbrow won't be good and Lynch will when the bad Harbrow is playing better football now than Lynch.

Also i haven't seen Harbrow live so he might look a bit slower on TV but he is quick, no-one would deny that, maybe just not really quick?

LostDoggy
19-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok. So your point is that he didn't do enough in that game to make the club say he is in our best 25 he should play which makes his debut average. Where we were more excited by the good things he did and how he did them and foused on that more that his overall performance. And you didn't like the call someone made that Harbrow won't be good and Lynch will when the bad one is playing better football now.

Also i haven't seen Harbrow live so he might look a bit slower on TV but he is quick, no-one would deny that, maybe just not really quick?

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

dog town
19-12-2007, 04:47 PM
I have not read the entire thread but if its a question of Harbrow vs Lynch then at this stage it is Harbrow by a big margin.

I thought Harbrow was super impressive this season. Came from the clouds to be almost a mainstay in the side. Has one of the smallest turning circles going around and a tremendous little side step. Couple his amazing agility with his willingness to compete as shown this season and I think we have a good little find on our hands. What really impressed me was the way he was able to play more than one role even in his first couple of games. Against Richmond he played as a lead up half forward which would have been pretty foreign for him but he did a good job.

Lynch may well be a star in the making but at this stage he has not done anything apart from the odd flashy touch. Long way to go for this kid. Even if your crystal balling you need more than a couple of touches to base your opinion on.

bornadog
19-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I have not read the entire thread but if its a question of Harbrow vs Lynch then at this stage it is Harbrow by a big margin.

I thought Harbrow was super impressive this season. Came from the clouds to be almost a mainstay in the side. Has one of the smallest turning circles going around and a tremendous little side step. Couple his amazing agility with his willingness to compete as shown this season and I think we have a good little find on our hands. What really impressed me was the way he was able to play more than one role even in his first couple of games. Against Richmond he played as a lead up half forward which would have been pretty foreign for him but he did a good job.

Lynch may well be a star in the making but at this stage he has not done anything apart from the odd flashy touch. Long way to go for this kid. Even if your crystal balling you need more than a couple of touches to base your opinion on.

Totally agree with you DT and the coaching staff do as well. I believe Eade is very excited about Harbrow at this stage and is far in advance of Lynch. Certainly Lynch has potential, but is just not there yet.

Bulldog4life
19-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Turn it up Ernie Sigley! To be honest i dont rate 50% of the players on the Bulldogs list. If 'doogs', Skipper and Tiller were playing outside my kitchen window i would shut the blinds. I dont get carried away with players like some footy fans i know. I just think Lynch looks the goods, better than Harbrow. Im sure a lot of people rate Griffen infront of Cooney although Cooney has the runs on the board.

I think that you would be the ONLY one on this Board who feels that way. Sad.

hujsh
19-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

I'm OK with that

Topdog
20-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Lynch has done nothing in his career so far. He may one day be good but he has an extremely long way to go to even make it into the 22 of an AFL team let alone be a very good player.

Harbrow is miles ahead, it's actually not fair on Lynch to compare the 2 because he isn't anywhere in his class yet. Harbrow's control of the ball is something to marvel and his footy smarts will take him a long way.

GVGjr
20-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Lynch has done nothing in his career so far. He may one day be good but he has an extremely long way to go to even make it into the 22 of an AFL team let alone be a very good player.

Harbrow is miles ahead, it's actually not fair on Lynch to compare the 2 because he isn't anywhere in his class yet. Harbrow's control of the ball is something to marvel and his footy smarts will take him a long way.

I think everyone but Jerry would agree that Harbrow has the runs on the board at this stage.

LostDoggy
20-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree GVGjr that Harbrow has the runs on the board. I stated that a few posts back. Im talking bigger picture. A few years down the track. Ive seen Lynch play 3 games and seen him train a couple. Enough to see good signs.

Topdog
21-12-2007, 09:03 AM
3 times is enough to see greatness?

Sockeye Salmon
21-12-2007, 10:11 AM
3 times is enough to see greatness?

I saw greatness in Chris Grant before I'd seen him play 3 times.

LostDoggy
21-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Whilst I agree you could see greatness in Chris Grant before his 3rd game, its not like that for Lynch.
You can't compare their debut games.
Lynch might make a great player but you couldn't say that by looking at his first game or first season at Werribee.

LostDoggy
21-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Did I say greatness? better than Harbrow i said

hujsh
21-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Whilst I agree you could see greatness in Chris Grant before his 3rd game, its not like that for Lynch.
You can't compare their debut games.
Lynch might make a great player but you couldn't say that by looking at his first game or first season at Werribee.

Out of interest what happened in Grants debut game?

LostDoggy
21-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Out of interest what happened in Grants debut game?

Played FF in round 1 in 1990 at Whitten Oval vs Saints I believe he lined up against Danny Frawley. Kicked 3 I think and missed a few. We lost easily but there was no chance he would get dropped. He was as skinny as Lynch was but a lot taller.
He had good form leading up in preseason and it wasn't a token gesture like Lynch in Darwin was.
Played most of the season and kicks 50 goal becoming the youngest played to do that.

hujsh
21-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Played FF in round 1 in 1990 at Whitten Oval vs Saints I believe he lined up against Danny Frawley. Kicked 3 I think and missed a few. We lost easily but there was no chance he would get dropped. He was as skinny as Lynch was but a lot taller.
He had good form leading up in preseason and it wasn't a token gesture like Lynch in Darwin was.
Played most of the season and kicks 50 goal becoming the youngest played to do that.

Against Frawley? That is impressive. I did know that he kicked 50 goals but never that his first game was as impressive as that

The Coon Dog
21-12-2007, 06:10 PM

You just knew, didn't you.

During the week I was keen to get a copy of Inside Football to see what the experts thought of Grant's debut game. Tony Locket in those days was doing a column & gave him a huge wrap!

LostDoggy
23-12-2007, 09:38 PM

There is no doubt he grabbed everyone's attention with his early games but it took me a bit longer than 3 games to consider him a chance of being the great player that he was. The depth of his kicking was my only concern. Great players are rarely poor kicks and it took him a while to master that.

LostDoggy
23-12-2007, 09:41 PM

I remember him leading out and taking chest marks. Was that also Standfields first game?
I seem to recall Standfield playing on Locket for about 15 mins in one quarter.

BulldogBelle
24-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Same here, I knew he would be something special - I definitely wasn't dissapointed on that score.

westdog54
24-12-2007, 02:05 AM
I wonder how Scott Welsh's first 3 games for us will go?

I know its off-topic, but I just thought I'd throw it out there:p

hujsh
24-12-2007, 02:16 AM

I thought no-one else saw that.

New direction. What if he has a stinker? He seems solid but was he ever the main forward at Adelaide. They seemed to just chuck whoever down there if Walsh and Riccuto were injured and they were still successful. Although they weren't high scoring in most games they did hand a few thrashings out per season which might dispel the 'what could he do in an attacking team' argument.

Dogs 24/7
25-12-2007, 02:23 PM

We need his first game to be a ripper for us :D

Sockeye Salmon
27-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I thought no-one else saw that.

New direction. What if he has a stinker? He seems solid but was he ever the main forward at Adelaide. They seemed to just chuck whoever down there if Walsh and Riccuto were injured and they were still successful. Although they weren't high scoring in most games they did hand a few thrashings out per season which might dispel the 'what could he do in an attacking team' argument.

We know what Welsh can do. If his first three games are stinkers you persevere with him because he's capable. Over the next 2-3 years he will roughly do the same thing he was doing in Adelaide, don't expect more, he won't.

With rookies, you don't know what they can do and sometimes (very rarely) you think 'Wow!'.

Although just because a rookie has a rough start doesn't mean they're crap - Mitch Hahn and Steve Kretiuk both had horrible starts (Mitch dropped an uncontested mark within 5 seconds of being on the ground).

BulldogBelle
27-12-2007, 11:00 PM
We need his first game to be a ripper for us :D

I would think that playing against his old side first up might give him that extra bit of determination to have a great game.

hujsh
27-12-2007, 11:05 PM
We know what Welsh can do. If his first three games are stinkers you persevere with him because he's capable. Over the next 2-3 years he will roughly do the same thing he was doing in Adelaide, don't expect more, he won't.

With rookies, you don't know what they can do and sometimes (very rarely) you think 'Wow!'.

Although just because a rookie has a rough start doesn't mean they're crap - Mitch Hahn and Steve Kretiuk both had horrible starts (Mitch dropped an uncontested mark within 5 seconds of being on the ground).

When you say rookie do you mean rookie list or a first year player. I am surprised if Hahn was a rookie

Sockeye Salmon
27-12-2007, 11:10 PM
When you say rookie do you mean rookie list or a first year player. I am surprised if Hahn was a rookie

? Was a rookie.

Hahn was once a rookie. His first game was something like no touches and 2 clangers or something silly like that. It was v Geelong @ Telstra Dome and probably the game Eagleton kicked 7.

hujsh
28-12-2007, 02:24 AM
? Was a rookie.

Hahn was once a rookie. His first game was something like no touches and 2 clangers or something silly like that. It was v Geelong @ Telstra Dome and probably the game Eagleton kicked 7.

So he was on the rookie list?

soupman
28-12-2007, 03:01 AM
No Hahn was never on any rookie list.

He was however a rookie in the sense that he was new to the league and thus playing his "rookie" season ie. first season. So rookie here is being used to say he was at the beginning of his career and new.