PDA

View Full Version : AFL open to abolishing rookie list

Hotdog60
31-05-2016, 10:37 PM
THE AFL is open to abolishing the rookie list and giving clubs more freedom with their selection and list management practices.

The League is expected to meet with clubs in the coming weeks to discuss rookies, with some list bosses pushing for the AFL to introduce more flexibility with list rules.

Evans said there were positives in getting rid of the rookie list, but protections needed to be put in place to prevent clubs hoarding talent on expanded rosters.

"It's been put to us by some clubs that we could just have the one list," Evans told radio station 3AW.

"Our view is that we're actually open to look at it, particularly if it provides a more fluent and flexible structure.

"There are pros and cons to that and I think the benefit for the club is they could pick anyone to play on any given day according to form. That's a good bit of flexibility."

How the rookie list works

While some clubs are pushing to abolish the rookie list, others are concerned they would lose the ability to offer players one-year contracts, which is the case for rookies.

Evans said the other major benefit of the rookie list was ensuring talented rookies eventually had the opportunity to either be promoted or seek new homes, preventing teams from stocking masses of talent.

"There is a spill effect with rookies that once you've been on the rookie list for a couple of years the club needs to make a call about you," Evans said.

"We wouldn't want to create an ability for a club to just have one big super-list and hoard talent."

The rookie list was introduced in 1997 to create opportunities for players outside the normal talent pathway.

In more recent times it has also encouraged clubs to give mature-age players from state leagues opportunities and extend the careers of veterans.

Clubs can have between four and six rookies, depending on the size of their primary list, and an additional three category B rookies.

The second category rookies can be international players, NSW scholarship players with that club or players from other sports who have not been registered in any Australian football competition for the previous three years.

Some clubs have pushed for a forensic assessment of list sizes before any decisions are made on the ideal amount of players a club should hold.

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-31/afl-open-to-abolishing-rookie-list)

Hotdog60
31-05-2016, 10:40 PM
If you want more flexibility just take out the rule about rookies having to be elevated.
Just make them part of the list but still rookies under the normal time frame. So at the end of their time they still need to be upgraded or moved on.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2016, 10:45 PM
I'd say we wouldn't have gotten Biggs if there's no rookie list. Rookies should get a full salary though since they perform all the duties of a listed and fully salaried player. I just hope there's no knee jerk change and find out in 2 years it's wrong and they propose another knee jerk change. Then that doesn't work in 2 years and they propose another knee jerk change. Then that doesn't work in 2 years and they propose another knee jerk change.

GVGjr
31-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Are the current rules really inhibiting clubs or is this another push by the players association to give players more flexibility?

I think there is much of a gain here

boydogs
31-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Are the current rules really inhibiting clubs or is this another push by the players association to give players more flexibility?

Why would you think that? The rookie list allows for shorter contracts and prevents unlimited player retention, so removing it would reduce player movement

Twodogs
01-06-2016, 12:14 AM

I think there is much of a gain here

Did you mean "I don't think there is..."

hujsh
01-06-2016, 12:55 AM
I'd say we wouldn't have gotten Biggs if there's no rookie list. Rookies should get a full salary though since they perform all the duties of a listed and fully salaried player. I just hope there's no knee jerk change and find out in 2 years it's wrong and they propose another knee jerk change. Then that doesn't work in 2 years and they propose another knee jerk change. Then that doesn't work in 2 years and they propose another knee jerk change.

At that point, after careful consideration, the AFL would conclude that the only reasonable way to tackle the problem other people created is with a knee jerk change

GVGjr
01-06-2016, 03:13 AM
Why would you think that? The rookie list allows for shorter contracts and prevents unlimited player retention, so removing it would reduce player movement

Well it gets more players onto a primary list at a higher pay which I would imagine fits in with the PA. I don't see too much wrorng with the current set-up so I don't understand what is driving the change

GVGjr
01-06-2016, 03:13 AM
Did you mean "I don't think there is..."

Yep.

Hotdog60
01-06-2016, 06:21 AM
I'd say some clubs may have short term injury worries which don't fall under the rule to elevate a rookie.
They may have a player that could fill the void but can't use them.
I see no problem having them available to play senior footy but as I mentioned above the time element still remains.