PDA

View Full Version : J Mulligan and H White in the rookie draft

LostDoggy
11-12-2007, 11:34 AM
we picked up these two in the rookie draft, does anyone no anything about them?

Twodogs
11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Mulligan 201cm ruckman.

The Doctor
11-12-2007, 11:49 AM
We also picked up John Shaw a 19yo ruckman from Sandy Dragons

Throughandthrough
11-12-2007, 12:14 PM
White:

St Peters College boy - sensational schoolboy cricketer and footballer.

The Swans were also very keen on him.

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 12:39 PM
White:

St Peters College boy - sensational schoolboy cricketer and footballer.

The Swans were also very keen on him.

Any info on height and size, position etc?

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Mulligan 201cm ruckman.

We also picked up John Shaw a 19yo ruckman from Sandy Dragons

Looks like the club has finally twigged to having a pipeline of young ruckmen coming through.

So we now have

Experienced: Hudson, Street*

Up and coming: Minson, Skipper*

Young/raw: Mulligan, Shaw

*Not very good

We'd all better pray that Hudson makes it through the season.....

Throughandthrough
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Any info on height and size, position etc?

midfielder.

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
midfielder.

Thanks.

So we have 4 rookies: 2 mids, 2 rucks. Good balance IMO.

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
This is what one of the draft watchers (Snoop Dog) had to say about Shaw:

"Arguably one of the best performed pure ruckmen in the TAC this year. He is 19yo so is a year older than most of the blokes he ran around with but dominated the hit outs this year. Possesses a terrific leap which defies the 2-3cm disadvantage he has over traditional ruckmen. Skills around the ground are good and his possession rate is good for a ruckmen."

Sounds decent but he's going to need his leap given his height of around 198.4cm

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Snoop Dog's a little less positive in his write-up of Mulligan:

"Pre champs when he was playing some of the TAC sides I had him top 20 with a bullet. Last year I talked up Tippett going into the draft and this year I saw similar things in Mulligan but the reality is he has slipped…badly. Whats on his side is that he can play a number of different roles and could be a real acquisition if he gets it together. Seems best suited as a mobile ruck prospect and resting forward. Certainly plenty to work with at 200cm and needing to fill out but his consistency and his kicking will cause alarm."

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 01:33 PM
This is what one of the draft watchers (Snoop Dog) had to say about Shaw:

"Arguably one of the best performed pure ruckmen in the TAC this year. He is 19yo so is a year older than most of the blokes he ran around with but dominated the hit outs this year. Possesses a terrific leap which defies the 2-3cm disadvantage he has over traditional ruckmen. Skills around the ground are good and his possession rate is good for a ruckmen."

Sounds decent but he's going to need his leap given his height of around 198.4cm

But he is taller than Jeff White and about the same height as Minson. Like the report of his around the ground work.

LostDoggy
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks.

So we have 4 rookies: 2 mids, 2 rucks. Good balance IMO.
Welsh isn't a mid.
He mightn't be KP height but he is a forward.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Welsh isn't a mid.
He mightn't be KP height but he is a forward.

I think DR is referring to our complete rookie list, with Hughes included.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I dont know anything about our players but have Richmond been the big winners here talent wise

They add:

Gouridis - one of the elite athletes in the pool and widely considered a first round talent in 2007

Collard - pick 31 in the 2006 superdraft

Both reportedly have suspect attitudes but from a talent perspective they seem to have done very well - it will be interesting to watch and see how it pans out for them.

LostDoggy
11-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I think DR is referring to our complete rookie list, with Hughes included.

Ta
Sorry DR

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Snoop Dog's a little less positive in his write-up of Mulligan:

"Pre champs when he was playing some of the TAC sides I had him top 20 with a bullet. Last year I talked up Tippett going into the draft and this year I saw similar things in Mulligan but the reality is he has slipped…badly. Whats on his side is that he can play a number of different roles and could be a real acquisition if he gets it together. Seems best suited as a mobile ruck prospect and resting forward. Certainly plenty to work with at 200cm and needing to fill out but his consistency and his kicking will cause alarm."

Have read up a bit more on the write-ups of Mulligan. Like many potential rucks this year he was listed in most phantom drafts as someone who would be picked in the national draft (anywhere from the mid-20's to the 80s). Seems like a typical Clayton recruit in a few ways and split those watching him.

He's athletic in that he's fast (good 20m sprint time apparently), can really jump (4th highest vertical leap of 72cm), has a ver big kick on him, and quite a few describe him as very talented. He's also very raw as well, and might be yet to relish body-on-body contact. That said, it seems like he has a pretty huge potential upside, with a number rating him second or third after Kreuzer in terms of his long-term prospects. In other words he's a risky project player who might become very good or might flop.

I canunderstand getting Shaw as well as him, because he sounds like he needs a lot of coaching.

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I wonder if the club is still confident about picking up Cordy next year, after rookieing 2 rucks?

Throughandthrough
11-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I wonder if the club is still confident about picking up Cordy next year, after rookieing 2 rucks?

I wonder if Streeta and Minson and thingo are still confident about staying on the list.....

(edit, i quite like Street)

hujsh
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Since when is 199cm a bit short for a ruckman.. The tallest ruckmen (below the freaks Sandilands and Street) is Cox at 204. No-one would say a ruckman is short at 200cm so why is 199cm short? Edit: Dawson Simpson is 207 but new.

Anthony_
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
I dont know anything about our players but have Richmond been the big winners here talent wise

They add:

Gouridis - one of the elite athletes in the pool and widely considered a first round talent in 2007

Has to be a reason why he was overlooked in the ND.

bulldogsman
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Since when is 199cm a bit short for a ruckman.. The tallest ruckmen (below the freaks Sandilands and Street) is Cox at 204. No-one would say a ruckman is short at 200cm so why is 199cm short? Edit: Dawson Simpson is 207 but new.

Regular AFL Ruckman Below 200cm

Jeff White 195cm
Troy Simmonds 196cm
Justin Koschitzke 197cm
Brendon Lade 199cm
Robert Campbell 199cm
Ben Hudson 199cm

There just the regulars, even skipper who is listed at 193cm plays in the ruck. So 198, 199ruckman shouldn't be a problem.

hujsh
11-12-2007, 06:57 PM

Jeff White 195cm
Troy Simmonds 196cm
Justin Koschitzke 197cm
Brendon Lade 199cm
Robert Campbell 199cm
Ben Hudson 199cm

There just the regulars, even skipper who is listed at 193cm plays in the ruck. So 198, 199ruckman shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for that list. I have been annoyed that people have called Minson short when B.Lade is the same height. Good get

GVGjr
11-12-2007, 07:23 PM

Jeff White 195cm
Troy Simmonds 196cm
Justin Koschitzke 197cm
Brendon Lade 199cm
Robert Campbell 199cm
Ben Hudson 199cm

Height is one thing but athleticism and marking power also comes into play.
Whilst 199cm is big enough to play the position it might be a bit short when you haven't got a great spring, are not overly quick and are not a particularly strong mark.
Minson needs to add one of those strings to his bow to not only be regarded as a good ruck prospect but also to be effective for us.

Mofra
11-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Experienced: Hudson, Street*

Up and coming: Minson, Skipper*

Young/raw: Mulligan, Shaw

*Not very good
Disagree with Skipper. He has shown more than Minson as both a forward & as a short ruck.
Skipper has started throwing his weight around more too so the "aggression gap" between Minson & Skipper is much smaller than people think.

GVGjr
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Disagree with Skipper. He has shown more than Minson as both a forward & as a short ruck.
Skipper has started throwing his weight around more too so the "aggression gap" between Minson & Skipper is much smaller than people think.

I don't think Skipper is a waste either but he does need to have a good season though.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Agreed. It's interesting to read that this side of Skip's game has gone a little un-noticed. I thought his intensity really lifted late in the season. He fought for the ball and worked hard, his only problem was that he tired quickly. He needs a big pre-season, I'm hoping a broken foot holds him back as little as possible.

hujsh
12-12-2007, 01:48 AM

Skipper gets more ball than Minson and Street and can kick it well too but Skipper would be a bit young to be up and coming now wouldn't he?

wb_age
12-12-2007, 01:57 AM
I just watched the Bulldogs vs Saints Draw replay and even though this was meant to be one of Skipper's better games, i still don't rate him.
He looks like uncoordinated at best, a fully fit Minson will literally eat Skipper. I know for a fact that prior to injury, regardless of form Minson couldnt/wouldnt get a game because they had decided on Darcy and Street as our rucks. (regardless of how bad Darcy played, they just couldnt drop him)
Will was frustrated and couldn't do anything about it, so lets hope this year he comes out with a real bang and proves his worth!

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Height is one thing but athleticism and marking power also comes into play.
Whilst 199cm is big enough to play the position it might be a bit short when you haven't got a great spring, are not overly quick and are not a particularly strong mark.
Minson needs to add one of those strings to his bow to not only be regarded as a good ruck prospect but also to be effective for us.

In addition to athleticism and marking, the other thing that may be part of the equation is wingspan - guys can be 6 foot 5 with a 6 foot 8 wingspan, or they can be 6 foot 5 with a 6 foot 3 wingspan. Obviously increased wingspan gives them better reach at ruck work and around the ground marking.

Obviously Farren Ray has really long arms, Skipper also appears to have a greater wingspan than his height, as does Cameron Wight.

So the equation could be for Minson that he just has short arms.

GVGjr
12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
In addition to athleticism and marking, the other thing that may be part of the equation is wingspan - guys can be 6 foot 5 with a 6 foot 8 wingspan, or they can be 6 foot 5 with a 6 foot 3 wingspan. Obviously increased wingspan gives them better reach at ruck work and around the ground marking.

Obviously Farren Ray has really long arms, Skipper also appears to have a greater wingspan than his height, as does Cameron Wight.

So the equation could be for Minson that he just has short arms.

I think it is just the timing that stops Will from becoming a decent mark.
Wingspan is a real requirement in Basketball but I'm not sure that it is the same with our football but it is an interesting consideration.

hujsh
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
One thing that my dad comments on is that Will struggles to time his leap. He is always coming down with the ball. But allot of ruckmen struggle with this

Cyberdoggie
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM

i think skipper can lay a tackle when he wants he just doens't know when he should and also doesn't know how to get into the game.

Mind you all our ruckman play like this at the moment, they do their ruckwork and then dissappear. It's like watching one of the kids in junior footy that doesn't know what he's doing so he just stands around or runs along with the kids that do asking for them to kick it to me. I feel that perhaps our big guys don't quite know what their role is once they aren't doing any tap work. The only instruction seems to be that if your big and you happen to stumble upon the ball, quickly handball it to one of the smaller guys who knows what he's doing.

hujsh
12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
i think skipper can lay a tackle when he wants he just doens't know when he should and also doesn't know how to get into the game.

Mind you all our ruckman play like this at the moment, they do their ruckwork and then dissappear. It's like watching one of the kids in junior footy that doesn't know what he's doing so he just stands around or runs along with the kids that do asking for them to kick it to me. I feel that perhaps our big guys don't quite know what their role is once they aren't doing any tap work. The only instruction seems to be that if your big and you happen to stumble upon the ball, quickly handball it to one of the smaller guys who knows what he's doing.

That's not uncommon amoung ruckmen. Not every team can pick a Cox out of thin air who is confident to run with the ball and kick it. We have been lucky with Wynd and Darce in our team with hopefuly Hudson continued by Minson to keep our ruck strong.

Topdog
12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Skipper's form was about the only good thing about the last 7 weeks of the season.

LostDoggy
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2007/12/12/5893_gold-coast-sport.html
Nick Smart

12Dec07

GOLD Coaster James Mulligan did not pick up an AFL football until he was 16-years-old.

Only a few years later, the Southport Sharks player now finds himself on an AFL list after being picked up by the Western Bulldogs at pick No.4 in yesterday's AFL Rookie Draft.

The 18-year-old ruckman-forward, who graduated from The Southport School in 2006, was rapt yesterday after being snapped up by the height-hungry Dogs. He said it made up for the initial disappointment of being overlooked in last month's national draft.

"I was pretty disappointed but I kept my head up," he said.

"I had spoken to them a little bit but I didn't know they were going to pick me.

"It just feels unreal."

It was not a traditional pathway to the AFL for Mulligan, who only took up the game a few years ago.

The promising big man wrestled with the decision to pursue either rugby or AFL before choosing the latter.

"I went to boarding school and I played rugby for about eight years," said Mulligan.

"I thought I wanted to play professional sport when I was older so I thought I fit all the attributes for AFL and some of my mates played it and they got me into it.

"I started playing and I didn't really like it at the start just because I couldn't really kick the footy.

"Then I went back to rugby and I didn't really like rugby.

"I wasn't really a bad player at rugby but then I went back to Aussie rules and fell in love with it."

Mulligan said he was more than happy to be joining AFL superstars Jason Akermanis and Scott West at the Whitten Oval.

"I reckon it is awesome. I reckon they are a great club, they are going to have new facilities soon," he said.

"They also have some great players at the club and they have a good history about it."
Mulligan will be considered a project player for the Western Bulldogs, who were drawn to his potential for improvement. He follows in the footsteps of former Gold Coaster Brad Moran (Adelaide), who was drafted to the Kangaroos in 2004 after also only taking up the game two years beforehand.

Morningside's John Williams was picked up by Essendon in the pre-season draft, which was conducted before the rookie draft.
The only other Queenslanders to be picked up at yesterday's AFL rookie draft were Rhys Magin (Zillmere), who went to Essendon, and Jake Spencer (Redlands) who was picked up by Melbourne.
Injury-plagued youngster Pat Garner received a second chance from the Brisbane Lions after being picked up by the three-time premiers in the rookie draft.
Garner, 20, was delisted by the Lions just last month after undergoing a second knee reconstruction.
However, Garner was thrown a lifeline when he was selected as pick No.23 by Brisbane.

LostDoggy
12-12-2007, 11:41 PM
November 9th, 2007
James Mulligan – Southport/Queensland
Ht: 201 cm Wt: 96 kg
Junior position – FF / ruck
AFL position – FF / ruck
Mulligan is a 201cm athletic freak who is going to get drafted on that basis alone. Quite simply a guy that size should not be able to run and jump like he does and if he ever learns to use his gifts effectively he will be virtually impossible to match up on. Think a bigger and quicker Justin Westoff. Unfortunately he looks a long way from being ready to contribute at AFL level. He seems to rely on his natural athleticism too much and does not work hard enough. For a full forward he also does not kick enough goals and regularly leads to areas where he is not going to be dangerous. He is not very strong at the moment and is a non-factor as a ruck even at junior level. Apparently he doesn’t like playing as a ruckman and he puts in minimal effort when he is move there. If ever the lights go on and he starts to work at his game he could be anything. His skills are generally okay but given he has been around the game for a while you would expect better. He doesn’t like the physical stuff which will be a problem at AFL level.
Strengths: Fantastic key position height, athleticism and mobility
Weaknesses: Is lazy on the field and does not appear to work at his game off it. Does not appear to have a good football brain. Will fade if challenged.
Question marks: Will he ever be able to take advantage of the natural gifts that he has been given? Does he want it enough and is he prepared to do the work needed to improve his game?
Draft Prediction: 35-50

Taken from footydraft.com.au

Bulldog Revolution
13-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds an ideal prospect, tall, powerful, quick, foot skills and raw

The Underdog
13-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Sounds an ideal prospect, tall, powerful, quick, foot skills and raw

Already needs to learn to keep his mouth shut though, more worried about the comments about heading home than his comments on North.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22915642%255E19742,00.html

Big Will
13-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Already needs to learn to keep his mouth shut though, more worried about the comments about heading home than his comments on North.

It is a shame he's used the word "dumb" but it seems the journalist was looking for something more interesting than what the kid actually said. Everything he said was positive and I think saying, "Having a team here will be awesome," is a bit far away from wanting to return to the Gold Coast.

Lets hope so anyway...

hujsh
13-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds like the type of player who (should he get the mental side right) will have people saying "how did this guy lasst unntill the rookie draft?" Like Cox and Rutten.

soupman
14-12-2007, 01:14 PM
For those who want to see Mulligans highlights package:

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/NABAFLRisingStarsProgram/NABAFLDraft/tabid/282/Default.aspx
Click on the "click here to launch..."

Browse through the list of nominees on the right until you get to mUlligan. Click on his name, then click on the orange video icon and enjoy.

Seems to be a strong mark. Looks massive against those Queensland opponents (Mostly height wise).

Sockeye Salmon
14-12-2007, 02:17 PM
For those who want to see Mulligans highlights package:

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/NABAFLRisingStarsProgram/NABAFLDraft/tabid/282/Default.aspx
Click on the "click here to launch..."

Browse through the list of nominees on the right until you get to mUlligan. Click on his name, then click on the orange video icon and enjoy.

Seems to be a strong mark. Looks massive against those Queensland opponents (Mostly height wise).

???? When I go to his name it says "No video available"?

soupman
14-12-2007, 06:37 PM
???? When I go to his name it says "No video available"?

Are you clicking on the orange camera that shows up next to his name on the list of nominees after you have clicked on his name?

Works for me.

Sockeye Salmon
14-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Are you clicking on the orange camera that shows up next to his name on the list of nominees after you have clicked on his name?

Works for me.

I was using Firefox.

Tried using IE and it's fine.

Dry Rot
21-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Lot of glowing reports about Mulligan lately. Why has he caught people's eye?

always right
21-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Because anyone who has seen him at training is amazed that we've finally picked up someone who is young, tall and mobile with a naturally strong athletic build. At such a young age he really is impressive to watch. I'm just hoping like crap that he can actually play. There has to be a reason no-one drafted him.:confused:

hujsh
21-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Because anyone who has seen him at training is amazed that we've finally picked up someone who is young, tall and mobile with a naturally strong athletic build. At such a young age he really is impressive to watch. I'm just hoping like crap that he can actually play. There has to be a reason no-one drafted him.:confused:

Just hope it was the same reason that no-one would draft Cox Rutten Davey Mitchell ect

The Bulldogs Bite
21-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Most of us will probably watch Mulligan with interest, the reports have been pretty impressive of the guy. Nice to hear he's got confidence too - that's important, especially in a rookie IMO.

How old is he?

The Coon Dog
21-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Most of us will probably watch Mulligan with interest, the reports have been pretty impressive of the guy. Nice to hear he's got confidence too - that's important, especially in a rookie IMO.

How old is he?
18 & his girlfriend is 36 with her own apartment on the Gold Coast.

BulldogBelle
21-01-2008, 10:38 PM

Always a plus the confidence factor, as you said we will be watching him with interest. Good luck to him.

The Coon Dog
21-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Found this in a Weaver phantom draft, who had him going to Collingwood in the 2nd round.

31. Collingwood - James Mulligan
Yes they added Wood to help Fraser. But that is still a threadbare ruck. Mulligan might be a ruckman. He is 201cm+ and most comfortable at CHB. A club that could teach Pendlebury to kick and Goldsack to play could get a huge return on an investment in Mulligan. Mulligan has a 65m hoof on him, can play short. He needs to toughen up and bulk up and be convinced that he should be a ruckman. Would be a long-term project and will cause some blushes in the crowd as he avoids contests for a while, but could really be the mid-round bargain of the draft in time. A guy his size needs to play body-on-body not take running jumps at blokes.

always right
22-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Interesting that he is considered a ruck prospect. That may be how it turns out and he would certainly cause some problems with his mobility but to me he looks to be a key position player in the making.....ideally at CHB but could really play anywhere. Just give him some room. All this and I've never seen him actually play:D

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Saturday was my first look at him and although training form doesn't count for much he was the standout.

From what I have read he only seems to be considered a ruckman because he's 201cm tall. He considers himself a forward, Clayton see's him as a forward and he was selected as a forward.

FrediKanoute
22-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Saturday was my first look at him and although training form doesn't count for much he was the standout.

From what I have read he only seems to be considered a ruckman because he's 201cm tall. He considers himself a forward, Clayton see's him as a forward and he was selected as a forward.

That's great news! Seems as thogh whilst last year may have been a "superdraft", 2007 for us could well be the diamond in the rough draft. Hopefully guys like Grant, Ward, Mulligan can become quality players for us in the future.

The Underdog
22-01-2008, 12:27 PM

I agree that he looked fantastic and am very keen to see how that translates to the field in a match situation. Looked more of a KPP type, although at 201 I think they'd be doing a bit of ruck work with him on the track, just in case they needed to throw him in in an emergency.
Definitely an interesting prospect. It's interesting that I've heard they had him pegged at 48 then chose Boumann instead. Obviously some doubts about his game somewhere along the line.

Dry Rot
22-01-2008, 12:38 PM
It's interesting that I've heard they had him pegged at 48 then chose Boumann instead. Obviously some doubts about his game somewhere along the line.

I've read some comments elsewhere claiming that he lacks intensity, is soft and doesn't like a contest from some folk in Qld, but they could be idiots or vindictive.

On a general level re rookies, I always find it interesting that 16 clubs chose not to pick them in the main draft.

hujsh
22-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I've read some comments elsewhere claiming that he lacks intensity, is soft and doesn't like a contest from some folk in Qld, but they could be idiots or vindictive.

On a general level re rookies, I always find it interesting that 16 clubs chose not to pick them in the main draft.

They are all talented. Sometimes they just slip through because everyone wants something else

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2008, 05:26 PM
It's interesting that I've heard they had him pegged at 48 then chose Boumann instead. Obviously some doubts about his game somewhere along the line.

I can absolutely confirm that they intended to take him at 48 but changed their mind close to draft day.

The reason had less to do with Mulligan and more to do with Boumann, however.

Boumann had bad acne and lacked self-confidence because of it. His parents also broke up during last season. We thought that with his parents problems behind him and some work on his self-estem he had more improvement in him.

hujsh
22-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Boumann had bad acne and lacked self-confidence because of it. His parents also broke up during last season. We thought that with his parents problems behind him and some work on his self-estem he had more improvement in him.

Being taken in the draft would help his confidence too.

LostDoggy
22-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Being taken in the draft would help his confidence too.

Having a hair do like Boumann will help his self esteem too.

bornadog
29-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Have read up a bit more on the write-ups of Mulligan. Like many potential rucks this year he was listed in most phantom drafts as someone who would be picked in the national draft (anywhere from the mid-20's to the 80s). Seems like a typical Clayton recruit in a few ways and split those watching him.

He's athletic in that he's fast (good 20m sprint time apparently), can really jump (4th highest vertical leap of 72cm), has a ver big kick on him, and quite a few describe him as very talented. He's also very raw as well, and might be yet to relish body-on-body contact. That said, it seems like he has a pretty huge potential upside, with a number rating him second or third after Kreuzer in terms of his long-term prospects. In other words he's a risky project player who might become very good or might flop.

I canunderstand getting Shaw as well as him, because he sounds like he needs a lot of coaching.

He is a big boy and gets his chance tonight to get some game time. Very impressive size, lets hope he picks up AFL like Williams has. Standing next to OKeefe
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/OKeefeMulligan246.jpg

hujsh
29-02-2008, 10:25 PM
He is a big boy and gets his chance tonight to get some game time. Very impressive size, lets hope he picks up AFL like Williams has. Standing next to OKeefe
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/OKeefeMulligan246.jpg

He's Huge!

Dry Rot
21-12-2008, 01:00 AM
How is Mulligan coming along now?

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 09:05 AM
How is Mulligan coming along now?

I was watching him yesterday and he is a nice runner and good athlete. I would be tempted to give him a run during the pre-season competition even though he hasn't even played a senior game for Williamstown. He could be a handy back-up ruckman but is probably better suited to being a CHB.

Mantis
21-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I was watching him yesterday and he is a nice runner and good athlete. I would be tempted to give him a run during the pre-season competition even though he hasn't even played a senior game for Williamstown. He could be a handy back-up ruckman but is probably better suited to being a CHB.

I am reasonably sure that he will be played at CHB next year. (It was spoken about at the draft)

Dry Rot
21-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I was watching him yesterday and he is a nice runner and good athlete.

Thanks. How are his footy skills coming along?

Dry Rot
21-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I am reasonably sure that he will be played at CHB next year. (It was spoken about at the draft)

He kind of sounds like a poor man's Williams - is that fair?

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks. How are his footy skills coming along?

He's a long kick but perhaps his decision making needs to improve.

Sockeye Salmon
21-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I've only seen him a few times but is it fair to say he needs to learn to catch?

GVGjr
21-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I've only seen him a few times but is it fair to say he needs to learn to catch?

I think it is a fair observation. For a big boy his marking isn't good.

Bulldog Revolution
21-12-2008, 09:33 PM
He looked promising at Full forward when I saw him, but probably playing him at CHB where he can just run straight ahead is probably a good move.

Hes an impressive athlete but still learning the game - i suspect it will come down to just how much he wants to make it