PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 11 vs West Coast

Eastdog
03-06-2016, 10:50 PM
This is the round 11 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against West Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 06:15 PM
You've gotta know when to bank em, know when to Anch em. Know when to walk away, know when to run. (Bump)

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 07:14 PM
B:

Libba. Hard at it all day, and 3 goals. What a champ.
Camhead. Took out a fancied opponent and Campbell kicked 2. Don't mention Roughies miss.
The Men's Club. Great defence today.

A:

McLean's injury. Hope it's not too bad.
Umpiring. Some really bad decisions against today.
Goal kicking & forward entries. Some easy shots missed which should've iced it long before a heart failure by me.

westbulldog
05-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Bankers
The entire defence for their work on Kennedy and Darling.
Luke Dalhaus, for his intensity and resilience at every contest
The club doctor, Gary Zimmerman, for his obvious skill and the care he shows for the players (Roughead today).

Anchors
McLean's injury.
2.7 from set shots at one stage.

comrade
05-06-2016, 10:29 PM
B

McLean's performance before injuring himself. Shades of Robbie Gray.
Stringer in the midfield. Just broke it open at times. A great performance against a quality team.
The backline. Started out looking like they'd score every time it went down there but they battened down the hatches and grinded the WC forwards into the ground.

A

McLean's injury. Fingers crossed it's not a long term one.
Some shabby kicking around the ground and at goal (I know, I know) turned this into a grinding win when it should have been a comfortable one.
The hanger taken over Caleb. Come on, that's just unfair.

ratsmac
05-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Bankers

1. Libba the goal kicker. Is there anything he can't do!
2. McLean - I loved his game today. His clean hands running through packs was great. Shame he got an injury.
3. Suckling - his kicking is truly unbelievable. Can't wait until JJ returns and we have 2 great ball users coming out of defence.

Anchors

1. Missing too many set shots
2. That holding the ball decision against Williams. He should of got the free for a great tackle.
3. Over use of the handball. At times we had a player free with a kick but we chose to handball 20 times.

G-Mo77
05-06-2016, 10:58 PM
2. That holding the ball decision against Williams. He should of got the free for a great tackle.

Wasn't it disgusting! I bite my tongue a lot of the times nowdays and especially since I had my son with me I was pretty good up until that one.

bornadog
05-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Bankers

1. The Bont youngest captain to win a game and played so well, 30 disposals with 21 of those contested.

2. Hunter - in his last 20 games he has had 30 plus disposals and he is only 21

3. Dalrmplye for picking up Macrae, Bont, Stringer etc etc etc

Anchors

Set shots and injuries

SonofScray
05-06-2016, 11:30 PM
Bankers:

Libba - just an outstanding performance
Fletcher Roberts - Great in the TARDIS. Scrapped hard in the air.
Rough - marking around the ground has been fantastic. What he does with it afterwards is a bit suss, but the marks do count.

Anchors

Run of missed set shots late in the game that should have iced it. Felt like we were going to pay a heavy price.
Williams Free Kick Against - indecipherable.
Wood's hammy - giving him some grief.... concerning.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2016, 12:58 AM
B:

- Morris. Outstanding. Should be AA.
- Libba. Sensational effort.
- Campbell/Roughead duo. Enormous.

A:

- McLean's injury.
- The woeful decision against Williams.
- Set shots.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Banking
Defense: Continually undermanned. Best defence in the league.
Redpath leading well ( but kick the goal )
Architects down back: Biggsy, Suckers

Anchors
Not a fan of the jumper.
Jordan really letting himself down with an otherwise excellent game. Practice those set shots buddy.

S Coast Simon
07-06-2016, 06:19 AM
B
Morris and Boyd. So dependable
Bonti. Dealing with a tagger and still doing what he does. Outstanding was the call from Bevo
Roughead leaping over the top of Nic Nat a few times he has a great leap and coming along nicely
Adams and Fletch keeping Kennedy to one goal. Great effort
A
Magics injury. He was playing his best footy this game till then
Williams holding the ball was harsh
Knob-heads in the croud potting our own players. Probably never played the game but think it's ok to bag people from the stands with no idea how hard it is out there. Pull your heads in and support your team

Twodogs
07-06-2016, 09:25 AM
B
Bonti. Dealing with a tagger and still doing what he does. Outstanding was the call from Bevo
Roughead leaping over the top of Nic Nat a few times he has a great leap and coming along nicely
A
Knob-heads in the croud potting our own players. Probably never played the game but think it's ok to bag people from the stands with no idea how hard it is out there. Pull your heads in and support your team

People with no idea bagging the players shits me no end. "Sorry I missed have missed your long and spectacular AFL career that you didn't make any mistakes during"

Bulldog4life
07-06-2016, 11:16 AM
People with no idea bagging the players shits me no end. "Sorry I missed have missed your long and spectacular AFL career that you didn't make any mistakes during"

You're not talking about any Woofers are you Twodogs?:)

LostDoggy
07-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Bankers:
Adams and Roberts for nulifying Kennedy.
The Bont."What more can you say"
Camhead(2 for 1 :))Double tag teaming Natanui and Lychee and pounding them into submiision.

Anchors-
Holding the ball against Williams.Disgracefu decision.
Colgate's injury.Please make it stop.
The old kicking for goal chestnut.

Mantis
07-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Bankers:
Adams and Roberts for nulifying Kennedy.
The Bont."What more can you say"
Camhead(2 for 1 :))Double tag teaming Natanui and Lychee and pounding them into submiision.

Anchors-
Holding the ball against Williams.Disgracefu decision.
Colgate's injury.Please make it stop.
The old kicking for goal chestnut.

And Biggs... He was on him for a good portion of the game.

Really interesting to watch how our back-line was setting up.. For most part we had Adams, Morris & Roberts taking the depest forwards and allowing our smaller players (like Biggs) to take the 'big guys' when they moved further afield... We have a lot of trust in the zoning/positional structures that are put in place and there is a great level of communication b/w the players when working out who goes with who.

Bulldog4life
07-06-2016, 06:55 PM

Really interesting to watch how our back-line was setting up.. For most part we had Adams, Morris & Roberts taking the depest forwards and allowing our smaller players (like Biggs) to take the 'big guys' when they moved further afield... We have a lot of trust in the zoning/positional structures that are put in place and there is a great level of communication b/w the players when working out who goes with who.

Agree 100%. You can understand why the have all those closed training sessions.

Ghost Dog
07-06-2016, 07:28 PM

If any of us were to have said 'Biggs on Kennedy' before that match, the laughter would have been palpable.

Ghost Dog
07-06-2016, 07:32 PM
B
A

McClean off was one thing that let them back in the game. He is a very dependable linking player.

ledge
07-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Bankers
Adams, just so reliable, the quietest and most amazing first year, against blokes like Kennedy and its like he has been playing about 6 years.
Big jack Redpath , exactly what I was on about crashing the opposition back men with huge punches (and making sure the elbow brushes the head) if he can't get to the contest, he demands the ball gets the back man second guessing, sure I saw a WC player jib it when he was coming at the ball, old fashioned scary aggro, bring Clay Smith in and that's two very scary players together.

Our whole back line .. Massive

Anchors .. Either it's our delivery into the forward line or our forwards can't get the positioning right and don't know when to lead and when to sit back for the bomb.

EasternWest
07-06-2016, 10:00 PM

Completely disagree with you TD. It shits me no end that people resort to "you've never played the game so.....". It's just not a valid reason as to why people can't have an opinion.

I mean, they are idiots, and they are wrong, but it doesn't mean they're not entitled to an opinion because they haven't played at the top level. We've all got opinions, we're on a forum sharing them, but I doubt any of us have played in the AFL.

Move to strike, your honour.

merantau
08-06-2016, 01:20 PM
I have never liked anyone bagging our own. I love to hear others bagging their own though. So there's the explanation as to why I don't like us bagging our own.

Twodogs
08-06-2016, 01:31 PM
You're not talking about any Woofers are you Twodogs?:)

Depends on what Woofers say at the games. ;)

Twodogs
08-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Completely disagree with you TD. It shits me no end that people resort to "you've never played the game so.....". It's just not a valid reason as to why people can't have an opinion.

I mean, they are idiots, and they are wrong, but it doesn't mean they're not entitled to an opinion because they haven't played at the top level. We've all got opinions, we're on a forum sharing them, but I doubt any of us have played in the AFL.

Move to strike, your honour.

Sidebar,

I've been having this argument with my dad now since 1981 after Graeme Wood snatched at a catch at short leg rather than letting the ball come to him.

Anyway my point isn't so much about playing the game. It's more about people thinking that you can get anywhere in football by not taking risks and making mistakes. Sure you can have an opinion but some people like to shout that opinion unencumbered by the facts or evidence.