PDA

View Full Version : PSD & Rookie Draft Results

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I thought we could use this thread to keep track of the results from both drafts this morning.

J Mulligan from Southport.
H White from North Adelaide.
J Shaw from Sandrinham Dragons.

And of course S Welsh in the PSD.

Anyone have an info on these players?

Here is the link http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=54164

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Interestingly the Hawks picked up Tim Walsh I believe. Wonaeamirri whom I had some interest in this season was rookie listed by Melbourne. Richmond grabbed Gourdis with their first selection in the PSD.

Concludes a pretty interesting trade and draft period.

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Interestingly the Hawks picked up Tim Walsh I believe. Wonaeamirri whom I had some interest in this season was rookie listed by Melbourne. Richmond grabbed Gourdis with their first selection in the PSD.

Good luck to Walsh, but there's a long tall forward que at the Hawks awaiting him.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Certainly is, which makes the decision all the more puzzling imo. Perhaps he's seen as a defensive prospect to take over from Croad at some stage? Who knows. But he will be behind arguably the deepest tall forward list in the AFL.

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM

Wrong Tim Walsh

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Certainly is, which makes the decision all the more puzzling imo. Perhaps he's seen as a defensive prospect to take over from Croad at some stage? Who knows. But he will be behind arguably the deepest tall forward list in the AFL.

IIRC he wasn't a great success as a defender at the Bees.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Wrong Tim Walsh

Ok, that makes a bit more sense then!

GVGjr
11-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Wrong Tim Walsh

Correct, this Tim walsh is from SA

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Correct, this Tim walsh is from SA

A ruck apparently, which means the Hawks have a fair few of these as well.

Throughandthrough
11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Western Bulldogs James Mulligan SOUTHPORT 14/06/1989 199.3 93.2 Outstanding athlete with rugby background in only 3rd year of the game. Long kick who played in the ruck and key position. QLD U18 representative in 2007.

Western Bulldogs Henry White NORTH ADELAIDE 1/04/1989 185.2 69.6 Smooth moving wingman with good pace and aerobic qualities. Recorded 20m sprint time of 2.93sec and 14.12 Beep Test Result at NAB AFL Screening Session. Is capable of breaking the lines with his run and uses ball effectively. South Australian U18 Representative in 2007.

Western Bulldogs John Shaw SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS 22/09/1988 198.4 90.4 Strong marking ruckman who played as an overage player for the Sandringham Dragons in 2007. Selected in Victorian U23 team this year.

Western Bulldogs Scott Welsh ADELAIDE 7/12/1978 188 89 Experienced medium forward with 165 games and 300+ goals with Kangaroos and Adelaide under his belt.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Western Bulldogs Henry White NORTH ADELAIDE 1/04/1989 185.2 69.6 Smooth moving wingman with good pace and aerobic qualities. Recorded 20m sprint time of 2.93sec and 14.12 Beep Test Result at NAB AFL Screening Session. Is capable of breaking the lines with his run and uses ball effectively. South Australian U18 Representative in 2007.

Interesting this is the guy I haven't seen anything on so far

Who was the last guy named Henry we had on the list?

hujsh
11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Nice to have some legitimately tall players on our rookie list. The perfect place to find a tall smokey.

The Coon Dog
11-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Interesting this is the guy I haven't seen anything on so far

Who was the last guy named Henry we had on the list?

Henry Power is the only Henry to have ever played for Footscray/Western Bulldogs since we entered the league in 1925. He played 2 games in 1927 & wore #8.

Cyberdoggie
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
the 3 rookies have really oldschool names like you'd expect 50 odd years ago.

there's no Farren's or callans or Jarrads in there,

good old fashioned names like henry white, john shaw and james mulligan.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Henry Power is the only Henry to have ever played for Footscray/Western Bulldogs since we entered the league in 1925. He played 2 games in 1927 & wore #8.

nice get TCD

the 3 rookies have really oldschool names like you'd expect 50 odd years ago.

there's no Farren's or callans or Jarrads in there,

good old fashioned names like henry white, john shaw and james mulligan.

priceless observation cyberdoggie - its a very good mix and gavin hughes fits that mould also, as did Dale Morris and Matt Boyd

GVGjr
11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
An update from the club

Scott Welsh
DOB: 7/12/1978
Height: 188cm Weight: 89kg
Recruited From: Adelaide
Position: Forward
Bio: Proven 165-game forward who debuted with the Kanagroos in 1996 as a 17-year-old. He played 36 games with the Roos and was a member of North's
1999 premiership team before homesickness forced him back home to Adelaide.
He managed 129 games for the Crows and was a four-time leading goalkicker.
He walked out on the Crows at the end of the 2007 season after being disappointed at being offered only a one-year contract. The Bulldogs have offered the exciting forward a two-year deal.
Draft history: 1995 National Draft 1st round selection (Kangaroos) No. 17 overall; 1999 National AFL Draft traded by Kangaroos for No.77 (Lindsay Smith).

Three rookies were drafted this morning: John Shaw (Sandringham, Vic), James Mulligan (Southport,QLD) and Henry White (North Adelaide).

GVGjr
11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Harry white and James Mulligan will not be training with the club tomorrow.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
It's nice to hear we've picked up a couple of ruck prospects, hopefully they're able to develop nicely at Williamstown. They should provide good competitino for one another too, as there's an opportunity to hold down a ruck spot at Willy.

Welsh is a good pick-up, he certainly helps our forward line set-up even if he isn't a power forward.

MasterHeasy19
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
waste of time and singlets with bonghetti, lockwood and rose then.

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
waste of time and singlets with bonghetti, lockwood and rose then.

It does look like that, but they were given a chance and unfortunately for them didn't impress enough to be taken. At least they got the chance to train with the Bulldogs and hopefully can take something away from it and be a better chance next year.

MasterHeasy19
11-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Bonghetti might be playing as an overager next year so could impress then.
Rose and Lockwood are 20-21? So they really need to step it up in the VFL next year to get picked up.

hujsh
12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
It's nice to hear we've picked up a couple of ruck prospects, hopefully they're able to develop nicely at Williamstown. They should provide good competitino for one another too, as there's an opportunity to hold down a ruck spot at Willy.

Welsh is a good pick-up, he certainly helps our forward line set-up even if he isn't a power forward.

Wouldn't Steet and Skipper take those two? Or would Skipper play forward leaving them to compete for the second ruck spot.

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM

His description sounds pretty similar to that of Cameron Ling when he was drafted - I guess time will tell whether he has the same drive to succeed

mjp
12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Rose and Lockwood are 20-21? So they really need to step it up in the VFL next year to get picked up.

Lockwood is 19 for goodness sake.

As for Rose, I am not sure how much more he could step it up - had a sensational year. I am pleased with the ruckmen, but I am not sure how our current batch of rookies will help us if we get some injuries - are any (apart from Hughes, who we would seem to have the lowest amount of 'need' for) - ready to come on to the list and play if required.

Wierd list management if you ask me.

The Underdog
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM

As for Rose, I am not sure how much more he could step it up - had a sensational year. I am pleased with the ruckmen, but I am not sure how our current batch of rookies will help us if we get some injuries - are any (apart from Hughes, who we would seem to have the lowest amount of 'need' for) - ready to come on to the list and play if required.

It seems to me we're kind of using the rookie list to essentially "park" the two talls and develop them. I guess it's a safe way of not investing too much in them while still able to bring them along and work with them. Obviously we could have added a slightly older more developed VFL type to be able to come in and at least compete against AFL size players but it seems as though we're using it more for longer term aims. I think if we have injuries that cut deep enough that we need to promote a rookie lister to cover a ruck or KP, we're pretty much stuffed anyway. Hopefully with 4 players (regardless of percieved ability) able to play the ruck possie we'll have adequate cover.

Go_Dogs
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM

I certainly understand where your coming from. I would have liked to have seen at least 1 more ready made player added to the rookie list this year as a back up player, but it seems we have taken a more development focused route with the rookie list this year. I certainly won't be complaining if we unearth the next Lade.