PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Boyd - AFL Life Member

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Stevo just said that Boyd hits 300 games today in all AFL games (Inc. preseason games etc). That makes him an AFL Life Member. An amazing effort from a bloke playing at the Frankston VFL to rookie, to senior listed player, to consistent performer, to club captain to AFL life member.

Stevo said he should play next year too. I can't say the games he would play by then.

bornadog
05-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Check post 143 in this thread: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14213-Bulldog-Sound-clouds-audio-and-podcasts/page10

Boyd interviewed on his 300th.

Bulldog4life
05-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Stevo just said that Boyd hits 300 games today in all AFL games (Inc. preseason games etc). That makes him an AFL Life Member. An amazing effort from a bloke playing at the Frankston VFL to rookie, to senior listed player, to consistent performer, to club captain to AFL life member.

Stevo said he should play next year too. I can't say the games he would play by then.

Thanks BT and if I might add he was recruited from the Frankston reserves team which is even more admirable.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Huge effort by Matty today. I'm just watching the presser and Bevo has said Boyd is next in the rotation for stand in captain if Easton misses again. Bonts mustn't have done enough!! :D

Ozza
06-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Playing great footy again this season. In particular, he seems to be having a lot of terrific 2nd halves, with a heap of good overhead marks in defence saving the day.

Things would have to change dramatically, for Matty Boyd to not be going around again next season.

GVGjr
06-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Playing great footy again this season. In particular, he seems to be having a lot of terrific 2nd halves, with a heap of good overhead marks in defence saving the day.

Things would have to change dramatically, for Matty Boyd to not be going around again next season.

I agree, if he wants to play then he should have a spot.

S Coast Simon
07-06-2016, 06:07 AM
Legend effort from Frankston reserves to AFL life membership what a true champion. He is playing dam fine football again this year. The amount of times he puts his body in the way of the opposition with the only regard for stopping them and the ball is something the younger boys must look up to with admiration. Hope he plays again next year there is definitely a spot for him in our best 22

chef
07-06-2016, 09:46 PM

Yep. Matts call on next season.

bornadog
17-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Wait and see for Dogs veteran on 2017 (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-17/wait-and-see-for-bulldogs-veteran-matthew-boys-on-new-contract?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd is in talks with the club about a new deal, but says there's no rush to commit to playing on in 2017.

Boyd, 33, is out of contract at season's end, and says his first priority is to help lead the Bulldogs' 2016 finals campaign.

"There's no contract at the moment. We're in talks. We'll wait and see how the year pans out ... to see if I go around again," Boyd told RSN 927.

"The mind and body are feeling pretty good, but things can change pretty quickly in footy, we all know that."

Boyd, who has averaged 27.3 disposals in the back half this season, said he would let his future take care of itself.

"For me really now it's about concentrating on what we've got in front of us," Boyd said.

"We've got two weeks of the regular season to play out, which is going to be some challenging games again for us in the next couple of weeks, and then going into the finals series for a second year in a row with a young group.

"It's really important I maintain focus on those things rather than the other things that are really out of my control."

Meanwhile, Boyd has backed teammate Jake Stringer to recapture the scintillating form that led to him being named an All Australian last season.

"He's still playing a vital role for us and he's still contributing," Boyd said.

"He started the game really well for us (against Collingwood) and got us on the scoreboard with a really clever snap for goal, and then I thought how he finished the game was really important for us.

"We needed someone to be strong around the footy and to stand up when we needed a contest and I thought Jake was able to do that.

"He's an All Australian in his third year so the pressure mounts, you get extra attention from the opposition, so there's a number of factors that lead to what most would perceive as a drop in form."

bulldogtragic
17-08-2016, 10:37 AM
No contract yet. Interesting.

azabob
17-08-2016, 10:54 AM
I heard the conversation. Orginally i thought it was Boyd was delaying the decision but it sounds like the club is.

Very interesting indeed.

Mofra
17-08-2016, 11:23 AM
He gets at least one year again, surely?
It's not like we have a super-old list.

Dancin' Douggy
17-08-2016, 12:14 PM
It's funny, when we let Crossy go and kept Boydy, I thought we'd kept the wrong player out of the 2. But Boyd has actually got better and better since then. His move to defence has been brilliant and his overhead marking is a real strength in his game now.

soupman
17-08-2016, 12:41 PM
I will be annoyed if we do cut him. I don't see what more he could have done to justify another year, he is a real general in defence and sentimentality aside it's hard to argue for Murphy to get another year after a knee reco and at the same time tell Boyd we can't fit him on the list next year.

always right
17-08-2016, 02:39 PM
I want to enjoy another year of him nailing big tackles. There is no harder tackler in our team. The tackle he laid on Ziebel a couple of week's back was brutal. Stopped him dead in his tracks.

His first half against the Pies was also amazing.

hujsh
17-08-2016, 02:57 PM
I want to enjoy another year of him nailing big tackles. There is no harder tackler in our team. The tackle he laid on Ziebel a couple of week's back was brutal. Stopped him dead in his tracks.

His first half against the Pies was also amazing.

He was the one who laid a big tackle on Daisy one year when we touched them up wasn't he?

chef
17-08-2016, 03:16 PM
He was the one who laid a big tackle on Daisy one year when we touched them up wasn't he?

Yep.

hujsh
17-08-2016, 03:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNkdTYzQ4yI

There's even footage of it

Rocco Jones
17-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think he is as valuable now as ever?

I remember him getting a zillion touches each week in the midfield during his 'peak' but he often was not accountable and the free wheeling role highlight his errant disposal at times.

His aerial ability, strength and game sense to find the ball really suit the role off HB.

hujsh
17-08-2016, 05:25 PM

I remember him getting a zillion touches each week in the midfield during his 'peak' but he often was not accountable and the free wheeling role highlight his errant disposal at times.

His aerial ability, strength and game sense to find the ball really suit the role off HB.

Far better player now. I'll take this Boyd over the 40 touches (26 of which are useful and with an opponent who got 32 damaging touches) Boyd anyday

Smads57
17-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Would be massively disappointed if we have offered Hamilton a one year deal in preference for a spot on the list for Boyd in 2017.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-08-2016, 08:07 PM
He is a real General back there. C'mon dogs 'Give the fossil one more'....

LostDoggy
17-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Would be massively disappointed if we have offered Hamilton a one year deal in preference for a spot on the list for Boyd in 2017.

Maybe Matty's still deciding in his own head if he wants to go around next year,or god forbid he gets a serious injury before seasons out just after he's signed 1 year deal.
Dosn't want to put the Moz on.

whythelongface
17-08-2016, 10:52 PM

I'm with you Rocco - he is definitely better now. It has been a masterstroke by Bevo to transform Boyd into a HBF. He reads the play well and can takes great intercept marks. His experience down the back (along with Moz and Wood) has really been a key to our defensive success.

Time can catch up quickly on a player but I still think he has one more good year left in him.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Currently Matty is on 276 games. I wonder if he's motivated by any types of milestones? Although with the weeks off he's had this year & last with niggles, I can't see him as a sure thing getting to any type of milestone next year necessarily (if it's a motivating factor).

(P.s. He's currently 9th in our most game played list, huge effort and even more so from the rookie list)

bornadog
18-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Currently Matty is on 276 games. I wonder if he's motivated by any types of milestones? Although with the weeks off he's had this year & last with niggles, I can't see him as a sure thing getting to any type of milestone next year necessarily (if it's a motivating factor).

(P.s. He's currently 9th in our most game played list, huge effort and even more so from the rookie list)

5 games this year takes him to 281, a couple of games rest next year and he can retire on just over 300. :)

FrediKanoute
18-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Boyd is in good enough form to go round again. It would be short-sighted not to give him another year. That said, its all about how his body feels. I reckon he is holding off making a decision till after the finals.

merantau
18-08-2016, 08:59 AM
M. Boyd - gun player; it's as simple as that. He is a lock-in for another year and who knows after that? Has had a great 2016.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Can't see guys like Boydy, Moz or Murph or Pickers being motivated by milestones. Maybe by the opportunity to be a part of a team that goes seriously deep into a finals campaign. I think Matty must but be an asset on the training track as well. His steely glare would sort out any under performers.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Playing game 280 next week is the Multiple All Australian, AFL Life Memeber, previous B&F & Club Captain. The games record for an original rookie listed player is 290 with Dean Cox. Another year, which should be inked soon, could possibly see him set a heap of records which would be a great reward for a magnificent career. A premiership would be nice too, I guess.

LostDoggy
11-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Wonder if Boydy is waiting to see if we win it all this year.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Wonder if Boydy is waiting to see if we win it all this year.

Matt Boyd, 300 game duel premiership players has a nice ring to it, though.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Gia just said he expects Matty Boyd to play on next year with us.

azabob
11-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Gia just said he expects Matty Boyd to play on next year with us.

I didn't hear that, I heard a non committal typical footy talk answer.

merantau
11-09-2016, 02:22 PM
I think if there was a way to quantify "leadership of a defensive unit" then Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris would be considered elite. I get the feeling that they're the blokes ensuring that the positioning is right, that the angles are cut of, that the holes are filled, that blokes backs are covered - in short they're the generals down back and what a mighty job they've been doing. They are two very fit blokes and baring serious injury they will go around again next year and maybe even beyond.

The Pie Man
12-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Seems we withdrew a verbal mid season offer due to concerns about a dip in form.
Then we put Matty up for the press conference this morning.
We're travelling beautifully ATM, but we're far from perfect. I expect a 1YD will eventually get done, but it hasn't looked great

jeemak
12-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Where was this reported TPM?

bulldogtragic
12-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Where was this reported TPM?

Afl.com.au

bulldogtragic
12-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Bevo, on that crap ch7 show, said Matty wants to play on next year and fully expects that he will be playing at our club next year.

azabob
12-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Bevo, on that crap ch7 show, said Matty wants to play on next year and fully expects that he will be playing at our club next year.

Harsh!

Sedat
13-09-2016, 01:21 AM
You'll need to narrow that down for me BT ;)

Boyd will get and fully deserves a new contract for 2017 - he and the club have far bigger fish to fry until then.

Twodogs
13-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Agatha Raisin?

That was pretty crap but Bevo wasn't in it.

Ozza
13-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Not an ideal scenario that Boyd's manager has spoken about what happened with Boyd's contract.

The inference was that there was a contract on the table during the year, then the club 'pulled' the contract as they were (supposedly) concerned with a patch of form over 4-6 weeks.

I'm sure it will all work out - but its both a concerning way we (may) have handled it...and annoying for his manager to answer questions about it in any detail.

bornadog
13-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Not an ideal scenario that Boyd's manager has spoken about what happened with Boyd's contract.

The inference was that there was a contract on the table during the year, then the club 'pulled' the contract as they were (supposedly) concerned with a patch of form over 4-6 weeks.

I'm sure it will all work out - but its both a concerning way we (may) have handled it...and annoying for his manager to answer questions about it in any detail.

No harm done.

The Pie Man
13-09-2016, 10:56 AM
No harm done.

Hope not - as an outsider, I wonder what the motivation for Boyd's agent to publicly spill details is.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2016, 11:26 AM

The AA selectors weren't.

Webby
13-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Word is the club offers Boydy a 1 year deal. He's holding out for two - as is his right.

No club in the comp is likely to give a 2 year contract to a 34yo, so the end result will be that Boyd re-signs with us.
Then, hopefully he's All Australian & Norm Smith Medallist next year and we have to re-sign him with a wage raise.

End result: everyone's happy.

However, as of September 2016, it'd be madness to commit to two years for blokes who are in their mid thirties.

bornadog
24-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Confirmed today as AFL Life member. Well done Matty.

KT31
24-01-2017, 08:54 PM
All Australian, Grand Final and now Life Member, has any player ever had a bigger 12 months of AFL ?
Well deserved Matty, you are a true legend of the club.

bornadog
25-01-2017, 12:28 AM
All Australian, Grand Final and now Life Member, has any player ever had a bigger 12 months of AFL ?
Well deserved Matty, you are a true legend of the club.

and two years ago he was out the door until Bevo came along.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-01-2017, 06:48 PM
So happy for him he has put in the hard yards

Smads57
25-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Great work Boydy - love your passion for our club and your fellow Bulldog players!

merantau
25-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Totally deserved. Matthew is playing his role to perfection. He has been a major contributor to our success over the last two years. I love his passion and commitment to the club.
He has relished having that little bit of extra time to dispose of the ball, he makes great decisions and his tackling is "take no prisoners" quality. Just a great player, person and clubman. I really rate him and hope he's around for another two years at least.

LostDoggy
26-01-2017, 12:21 AM
Congrats Boydy.
Just like Libba Snr.Almost looked to be gone from the club until Bevo came along and re-invented Matty off the HB.
Great testament to Boydy to be able to adapt and flourish in a totally foreign position of the highest level of AA selection.
Congrats again Matty you have thoroughly deserved it.

Bulldog4life
26-01-2017, 10:08 AM
I love watching Matty Boyd play. Gives his heart and soul to the Club. His fitness and professionalism is well known. Really hope he gets his 300.

Eastdog
26-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Well deserved. Congrats Matt.

Eastdog
26-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I love watching Matty Boyd play. Gives his heart and soul to the Club. His fitness and professionalism is well known. Really hope he gets his 300.

Yes he deserves 300 along with Bob who is not too far away.

ratsmac
27-01-2017, 08:26 AM
He's had people knocking him his whole career. I was one of them. He has shut me and everyone up with what he has achieved in the last couple of seasons. He is actually one of my favs these days (not that that is some great achievement).

Well done Matty!

Ozza
02-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Our W/L record in the 6 games that Matt Boyd has missed during 2015/16

0 Wins
6 Losses.

bornadog
17-03-2017, 02:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuGggE3NXY

Go_Dogs
18-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Quick question, where does Boyd sit amongst our all time greats?

Club captain
Premiership player
3 x Best and Fairest
3 x All Australian
Potentially a 300 game player

It's a fair resume.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Club captain
Premiership player
3 x Best and Fairest
3 x All Australian

It's a fair resume.

And AFL & WBFC life member, and he's played in the most amount of winning finals ever in our club's history. I'd have him very, very easily in the next Team of the Century, currently vice captain behind Bob. I'm assuming he's already nominated in that thread.

whythelongface
18-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Club captain
Premiership player
3 x Best and Fairest
3 x All Australian

It's a fair resume.

It is a very good question. Hard to say. The media and supporters from other teams certainly don't rate him as highly as we do, but in reality he is probably amongst our top 10 players of the last 30 years. To be honest I think he has gotten better with age. He has been transformed by the move back to the HBF and this has certainly added to his value.

I can't speak highly enough of Matty Boyd. He is the ultimate professional who has striven to continuously improve himself as well as those around him. He may not have the natural talent as a Griffen or the pace of a JJ but what he brings to the team is a hard work ethic and professionalism that is required to succeed in the modern game. He is a huge factor of our recent success.

ledge
18-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Boyd and Morris are extremely similar in how they started and how they worked hard to get where they are.
Both should be in our team of the century but it's hard to fit them all in.
Morris is the most under rated player in the AFL in my opinion because of where he has played all his career .
Boyd and Morris are the Johnno and Smith of this generation.