PDA

View Full Version : Scorecard at Half Way of the Season 2016.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2016, 02:51 PM
So, we've hit the halfway mark with 11 H&A games down and 11 H&A games to come. So how do you rate the year so far?

For me, 8-3 with good percentage and currently in the top 4 is a big, big pass mark. Denying Cicily that last minute goal would have been an ever bigger return. Doing this despite many injuries and playing every 2015 draftee & Suckling too is great. Also having the number one defence (points against) every single round to now is a huge return. Pups like McLean & Daniel becoming best 22 is great, Camhead doing it big is great as has the form of Morris & Boyd at the other end of the age spectrum. More than anything grinding out wins that historically we've lost (Adelaide & WCE) has been very nice.

So three losses and another two knee injuries (including losing Bob) amount to at most 1.5/10 deduction off a perfect score. So my scorecard at the halfway mark is 8.5/10 and looking forward to increasing the score over the next 4 months.

Sedat
06-06-2016, 03:05 PM
So, we've hit the halfway mark with 11 H&A games down and 11 H&A games to come. So how do you rate the year so far?

For me, 8-3 with good percentage and currently in the top 4 is a big, big pass mark. Denying Cicily that last minute goal would have been an ever bigger return. Doing this despite many injuries and playing every 2015 draftee & Suckling too is great. Also having the number one defence (points against) every single round to now is a huge return. Pups like McLean & Daniel becoming best 22 is great, Camhead doing it big is great as has the form of Morris & Boyd at the other end of the age spectrum. More than anything grinding out wins that historically we've lost (Adelaide & WCE) has been very nice.

So three losses and another two knee injuries (including losing Bob) amount to at most 1.5/10 deduction off a perfect score. So my scorecard at the halfway mark is 8.5/10 and looking forward to increasing the score over the next 4 months.
The bolded bit has been the most pleasing thing we have achieved from the first half of the year for me. We were seriously challenged in both matches and then did virtually everything right when the whips were really cracking.

We are still a work on progress but we are trending in the right direction.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 03:20 PM
8/10 for me, although I was disappointed in losing to Hawks and North after dominating them in all stats except the scoreboard. I never felt we were in it against GWS.

If you asked me at the start of the season, I would have been ecstatic to take 8-3.

Biggest issue has been the injuries, but all teams have injuries, so the pleasing thing has been the players stepping up into the roles created.

LostDoggy
06-06-2016, 03:34 PM
At the start of the season I said that if one of our rucks can break out and one of our key defenders has a huge year we would the flag.

Campbell and Adams have provided that. Without the injuries we would be flag favourites.

To be 8-3 sitting in the top 4 with the injuries to quality players is a fantastic effort.

I give us a 9 and would have been a 10 if we didn't drop the Hawks game..

bulldogsthru&thru
06-06-2016, 03:43 PM
I give us an 8. Our record at 8-3 is good. Great when you consider the injuries we have had to overcome.

What is scary - and this may be a good thing - is that i don't feel we have put together a complete game yet. Even at the start of the year with our wins over freo and saints, we were still doing silly errors both in skills and decision making. Unfortunately those things still persist today.

We also need to work on our inside 50 conversion.

When we get better at converting inside 50s, reduce the simple skill errors and get better making decisions, watch out.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Probably in the 8-8.5 out of 10 camp as well.

As pointed out by BT and Sedat - winning close games against the Crows and Eagles was big.
8-3 is a great start. If replicated that in the second half - 16-6 is an outstanding year.

We have a fairly soft last 7 games where we should be winning a minimum of 5 of those. In the 2nd half of the year we have a handful of big games, that will be the decider in our top 4 aspirations.

Port (Away)
Geelong
Sydney (Away)
Geelong (Away)
North

The other 6 games (Richmond, GCS, St.K, Collingwood, Ess, Freo) - they are 6 of the bottom 7 - so we need to be winning these.

Bulldog Joe
06-06-2016, 04:01 PM
I had an expectation of success from the start and we are tracking pretty well.

The loss to Hawthorn showed there was still some work to and the results against Adelaide and West Coast demonstrate that we are learning what to do.

Our conversions in front of goal are our biggest issue and simply converting 2 or 3 more each week would have us in second place. Note we would (and should) have defeated Hawthorn and our percentage would be above Sydney with and extra 12 points per game on our score.

We must now believe (TRULY BELIEVE) that we can beat anyone.

The next 3 games can set up a top 4 or even top 2 placing. We must not let the opportunity slip.

Scorecard 8 out 10 from me.

Mantis
07-06-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm thinking 8.5 to 9.. Given the injuries to key players I think we have done really well to be 8-3.

Still a fair amount of scope for improvement and if we can sharpen up a few things (ball use & finishing) we are in this season up to our eyeballs.. Seriously can't wait to have JJ back, he is a huge point of difference for our team

The Doctor
07-06-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking 8.5 to 9.. Given the injuries to key players I think we have done really well to be 8-3.

Still a fair amount of scope for improvement and if we can sharpen up a few things (ball use & finishing) we are in this season up to our eyeballs.. Seriously can't wait to have JJ back, he is a huge point of difference for our team

yep

and i'm handing over a 9

which other team can boast losing so many backline stars and still have the best defence in the competition.

whythelongface
07-06-2016, 02:59 PM

yep

and i'm handing over a 9

which other team can boast losing so many backline stars and still have the best defence in the competition.

Agree with both and I would give a 9 as well.. Factor also into the equation how young and inexperienced our Key Defensive players are, our defence really has been sensational. A lot obviously has to do with our defensive pressure further up the ground, but still when the ball does get into our defensive half our backline are generally able to negate most attacks.

If we continue to work on our forward entries and set shots we will have a bumper 2nd half of the season. This will set us up nicely for a tilt at the flag.

Ghost Dog
07-06-2016, 03:23 PM
I give us a 9.5
We've reached a number of milestones. Best defence in the league. Youngest captain to debut and win.
Libba's tackle record. Caleb Daniel killing it as newbie. All this despite losing a captain, blue chip defender in JJ, blue chip forward in Toyd, and so on. We are punching above our weight. Inaccuracy and a little composure in the forward line is the one thing that lets us down. We can take down any team in the comp on a good day with our best list.

LostDoggy
07-06-2016, 05:45 PM
I give us a 9.5
We've reached a number of milestones. Best defence in the league. Youngest captain to debut and win.
Libba's tackle record. Caleb Daniel killing it as newbie. All this despite losing a captain, blue chip defender in JJ, blue chip forward in Toyd, and so on. We are punching above our weight. Inaccuracy and a little composure in the forward line is the one thing that lets us down. We can take down any team in the comp on a good day with our best list.

Couldn't agree more.GD
Have us at 9 and building up and hurtling to a 10 by the first Saturday in October :D

KT31
08-06-2016, 02:50 PM
9.5 for our defence, 8.5 for the centre line and 7 for the forwards, so I have us at a rounded up 8.5.