PDA

View Full Version : Sons of the west .. Men's health

ledge
09-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Well it was my first time tonight and I did the Melton one in Arnold's creek .. Great response 83 men turned up, they did not expect that many as they didn't have enough passports etc to go round.
My son, my ex father in law and a mate did it.
Totally recommend all men to do it for your own Health.
Lots of incentive and freebies, all Types of fitness categories and issues discussed.
2 hours a week and you meet all kinds of people and ages.
Melton waves for a spin class and a talk on cancer next week,
Get along to the local one in your area!

Topdog
10-06-2016, 03:39 PM
I actually was supposed to attend the same session last night but had to go to Sydney for a work conference at short notice. Do you know if I can just turn up at the same place next week?

bulldogtragic
10-06-2016, 03:47 PM
My old man did it a while back. I met him and a bunch of other blokes at the footy one day and they all raved about it. Having seen in him the transition and development in some of his health attitudes has been amazing. They also talked about a tribal like bonding with each other with a common passion and hope for their futures, being a Bulldogs premiership of course.

Eastdog
10-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Good stuff ledge. Once again this is a great initiative by our club.

ledge
10-06-2016, 09:30 PM
I actually was supposed to attend the same session last night but had to go to Sydney for a work conference at short notice. Do you know if I can just turn up at the same place next week?

Yeah mate just turn up all be great come and introduce yourself.

bornadog
14-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Sons of West attracts Record numbers (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-06-14/sons-of-the-west-attracts-record-numbers)

ledge
14-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Going great guns ... I recommend you all get into it.

Twodogs
15-06-2016, 10:20 PM
So many people there tonight. Must have been close to a hundred blokes.

ledge
15-06-2016, 10:31 PM
So many people there tonight. Must have been close to a hundred blokes.

Which one was that one Twodogs?

Twodogs
15-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Whitten oval. It's pretty cool, they take us into the players meeting room and say "is this ok? It's better than the room we were in last week isn't it" and we are just scrambling for seats pushing each other out the way like kids.

There was one little bit of writing left on the whiteboard with lots of acronyms and arrows. From what I could see FP was going to shoot off at an angle. God knows who FP is. Frank Packer maybe?

ledge
16-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Up date on tonight.. We had a class on all different cancers and boxing or cycling at Melton waves . I decided on the cycling and my legs are jelly .. Had another 10 turn up and a couple didn't so I'm guessing around 90 tonight, it's definitely very popular. All up today 4.5 Ks walking at work and 4 Ks on the bike .. 8.5 Ks. Is that a good day , I don't know what's normal. Over 11.000 steps according to my iPhone.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Interesting - were there a range of ages?

bornadog
16-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Up date on tonight.. We had a class on all different cancers and boxing or cycling at Melton waves . I decided on the cycling and my legs are jelly .. Had another 10 turn up and a couple didn't so I'm guessing around 90 tonight, it's definitely very popular. All up today 4.5 Ks walking at work and 4 Ks on the bike .. 8.5 Ks. Is that a good day , I don't know what's normal. Over 11.000 steps according to my iPhone.

That is a great day well done. We all need to do at minimum 10,000 steps per day.

ledge
16-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Interesting - were there a range of ages?

Yes from 18 to 80 , you choose what fitness group you want to be in and you don't have to do any if you don't want to.
My son and my ex father in law are doing it with me .. That's a 24 yo, 52 yo and 70 year old . Theirs an 80 year old I know of and a few 18 year olds.
one of the blokes running it is my sons old primary school teacher.

KT31
16-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Looking forward to when they start an online program for us that cannot make it to the sessions.

Twodogs
17-06-2016, 12:14 AM

Our lecture was from Move about arthritis and the importance of standing, how dangerous they now realise sitting down for most of the day is and that sort of thing. I was a bit late and missed the start but they were talking about how everything fits together I think. The more activity the better mental health tends to be.

Eastdog
16-08-2016, 03:48 PM
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-08-16/500-men-to-graduate-from-sotw

500 men to graduate from SOTW
westernbulldogs.com.au
16 August 2016 1:12 PM

Never wear another teams colours.

It’s something we’re taught from an early age, especially in Melbourne where football is nothing if not tribal.

But for Frank Vella, a lifelong Magpie, who’ll receive a Western Bulldogs hoodie for graduating the 2016 men’s health program on Wednesday, he’ll be proudly sporting the red, white and blue of the Dogs in honour of what he and his fellow participants have achieved over the past couple of months.

“I’m really proud of what I’ve done, and I’m really proud of achieving it, Vella told westernbulldogs.com.au during a photo shoot for local newspapers.

“I’m just rapt to be part of the program, just for what it can do for people.

“I’m fortunate, I don’t feel like I’ve got any major issues but there are blokes out there that do have, and just by being here is getting them to the doctors or getting them to talk to people, getting them to talk to health professionals.”

Of the 800 men who took part this year, over 500 will graduate the program in ceremonies across Melbourne’s West, as well as Ballarat. That is up from 230 last year and 90 in year one.

Vella said one of the keys to the programs’ success was creating a space where men could go and feel comfortable being themselves.

Whether they wanted to exercise, whether they wanted to talk through some problems, or just wanted to meet a few people, Sons of the West has created that environment.

“There’s a lot of blokes that I’ve spoken to who said that they enjoy the company of other blokes, he said.

“A lot of guys don’t spend time with other men as they get older, and I think that’s important.

“I’ve found that just by walking around and talking to people, it’s an opportunity to open up about things they don’t want to talk to their workmates about because it might be a bit personal.

“Just the other day I was talking to a guy about the a marriage break up. He just wanted to vent.

“As blokes we tend to keep things in but everybody here makes you feel so part of the group. That you don’t mind opening up, someone to listen to, you know.”

This is Vella’s first year in the program, having joined after watching the positive impact it had on his great mate, Jonathan Manallack over the past two years, and he wants to return the favour to other men next year.

“The goal is to continue with the program, bring more people in and hopefully contribute in some other way.

“A goal for next year is to bring ten people.”

Sons of the West will be back in 2017.

always right
16-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Another reason to be incredibly proud of our club.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2016, 04:04 PM
In the past the Dogs have had some terrific community health and resilience building that just didn't get the kudos.
Big credit to our website which communicates the wider work done by the club.

Eastdog
16-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Whether we are Dogs supporters who live in the west or outside of the west we are truly in my opinion the community club of the AFL.

ledge
16-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Our last class was last Thursday on prostate cancer and the EJ foundation , Junior was there and gave us a little insight on his dad .. The most impressive thing was the Doc who built a model of a mans water works in front of us while explaining each body part.
Exceptional class.
We graduate on the 25 th I think, been a pretty awesome 10 weeks of learning about ourselves . Recommend every male does it no matter what age, our classes ranged from 18 to 80.

LostDoggy
16-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Our last class was last Thursday on prostate cancer and the EJ foundation , Junior was there and gave us a little insight on his dad .. The most impressive thing was the Doc who built a model of a mans water works in front of us while explaining each body part.
Exceptional class.
We graduate on the 25 th I think, been a pretty awesome 10 weeks of learning about ourselves . Recommend every male does it no matter what age, our classes ranged from 18 to 80.

Well done Ledge and congrats.

ledge
17-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks Redders get on the wagon next year mate.

Topdog
17-08-2016, 01:16 PM
That video was awesome

LostDoggy
17-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Thanks Redders get on the wagon next year mate.

If they had one for us easterners i'd be all over it Ledge.

Eastdog
17-08-2016, 07:30 PM

With the SOTW you can either live in the west or just work in the west and you can join. Could be a cool future idea to extend out to other areas as well. I believe it extended to Ballarat recently.

Twodogs
17-08-2016, 07:36 PM

It's well worth the trip to Whitten Oval to sit in the PLAYER'S MEETING ROOMS once a week and checking that you're doing as well as we all think we are.

ledge
17-08-2016, 07:36 PM
With the SOTW you can either live in the west or just work in the west and you can join. Could be a cool future idea to extend out to other areas as well. I believe it extended to Ballarat recently.

Yes it's only 3 years old and growing very quickly .. I guess if we approach other councils it could happen .

Eastdog
17-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Yes it's only 3 years old and growing very quickly .. I guess if we approach other councils it could happen .

Yeah for sure. It's been good to hear that it has been a success.

LostDoggy
17-08-2016, 08:18 PM
It's well worth the trip to Whitten Oval to sit in the PLAYER'S MEETING ROOMS once a week and checking that you're doing as well as we all think we are.

Good point TD.
Actually could be a goer next year as our work site is being shut down forever over my way around Chrissy time this year and relocating to Derrimut.

Twodogs
17-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Good point TD.
Actually could be a goer next year as our work site is being shut down forever over my way around Chrissy time this year and relocating to Derrimut.

Heh! I started my brilliant career not far from Derrimut hanging wet and warm sheepskins on racks and stacking them in heated sheds.

bornadog
17-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Heh! I started my brilliant career not far from Derrimut hanging wet and warm sheepskins on racks and stacking them in heated sheds.

It has changed a bit since then

Eastdog
18-08-2016, 02:10 PM
It has changed a bit since then

Like most of the outer areas of Melbourne it probably would of just been paddocks back then but now it's mostly new estates.

bornadog
13-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Starts again tomorrow. Anyone joined up?

Twodogs
13-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Yep I'll be going to the Maribyrnong session on Wednesday? Or is it a big sign up for everyone tomorrow night?

ledge
13-02-2017, 05:38 PM
I'm going to Arnold's creek one again 4.30 start on Thursday.

bornadog
13-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Yep I'll be going to the Maribyrnong session on Wednesday? Or is it a big sign up for everyone tomorrow night?

It's in 7 councils now, so growing.

Twodogs
13-02-2017, 05:44 PM

The first I did it, which was the second year the course was on, they had a big sign up for everyone on Sunday afternoon. There were heaps there when I went in the afternoon. Last year they didn't have it or I missed it.

This is the preseason one isn't it?

bornadog
13-02-2017, 05:47 PM
The first I did it, which was the second year the course was on, they had a big sign up for everyone on Sunday afternoon. There were heaps there when I went in the afternoon. Last year they didn't have it or I missed it.

This is the preseason one isn't it?

Yes it is.

They had it last year, I think Ledge reported he went.

LostDoggy
13-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Starts again tomorrow. Anyone joined up?

I'd love to be able to get there but with work and living in the Sth.East makes it pretty difficult to attend.
Wonder if something could be organised through the East-West Group where people attend at a mutual venue?

Eastdog
13-02-2017, 08:16 PM
I'd love to be able to get there but with work and living in the Sth.East makes it pretty difficult to attend.
Wonder if something could be organised through the East-West Group where people attend at a mutual venue?

Would be cool idea redders70. It could be Son of the West Eastern division :)

Eastdog
13-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Sunbury has gotten on board for 2017.

Twodogs
13-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Sunbury has gotten on board for 2017.

That's the extreme west.

Twodogs
13-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Yes it is.

They had it last year, I think Ledge reported he went.

I went to a couple at the start but then my dad got sick and it took a bit of my time up

ledge
14-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I've only done last year full season, this will be my first pre season.