PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned-Round 12 v Port Adelaide.

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 03:33 PM

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 04:39 PM
3 things you've learned.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2016, 04:42 PM
1. We cannot replace Dahlhaus.

2. Not sure we can ever rely on Stringer in a big game.

3. Until we win games of football away from a roof, we're not a top side.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 05:31 PM
1. This team believes they can win games that history says we don't usually. And they can win them, back to back if needed while travelling.

2. When our entries are better, and forward craft better we are more efficient. The leading of Redders & Dicko show that we can play Boyd deep forward and have two good leading, and accurate kicking forwards around Bonts, Jake and others.

3. We can address forward entries and goal kicking accuracy. Caleb Daniel is a good part of it.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Thank the lucky stars Stringer planted a gigantic sized egg squre on my face. Never been happier to be wrong! Go Jakey!

bornadog
11-06-2016, 06:22 PM
1. Bevo is not afraid to change things up - Stringer to wing, Suckling to HFF

2. Bevo has confidence in his players, and gives them a big task, no matter how old they are. 6 players today with less than 20 games.

3. Daniel, Williams - cool in high pressure games.

Dancin' Douggy
11-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Thank the lucky stars Stringer planted a gigantic sized egg squre on my face. Never been happier to be wrong! Go Jakey!

A Moa egg.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Putting some words on the Weber, smoking them with some hickory. They should be delicious by the time 8:30pm rolls around. :)

Dancin' Douggy
11-06-2016, 06:43 PM
1. We are starting to hold on and win the tight ones.

2. It's the youngsters that are willing us across the line. These young men, The Bont, Stringer, Libba, Daniel, Wallis etc. Are winners.

3. Redpath has only played TWENTY GAMES. You hearing' that? TWENTY GAMES!!!!

He really is on a massive curve upwards atm.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Redders has 14.4 this year & 35.13 in his career. With his accuracy him getting a few more marks and touches a game could take him up a level.

comrade
11-06-2016, 06:54 PM

That's why you never post in this thread until the siren rings :D

bornadog
11-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Redpath has only played TWENTY GAMES. You hearing' that? TWENTY GAMES!!!!

He really is on a massive curve upwards atm.

We can now judge him, based on Sockeye Salmons rule.:)

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 09:01 PM
1. You can win games with half a bench. I knew that but Collingwood didn't know that.

2. You can win games with a lopsided free kick count going against you. I knew that but Adelaide didn't know that. So we went to Adelaide to show them. I don't know if Mark Ruccutto noticed though with all the tears in his eyes from all the sooking he did.

3. Marcus Bontempelli is a star. I knew that. I no longer care if the media will ever work it out. Not one of them had him in their mid year AA team.

westbulldog
11-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Our team has more self-belief in their talent and abilities than most critics.
Jake Neade is just a sniper. Pity our Cameron McDonald from the 60's wasn't present at the Suckling incident, very lucky you Jake.
Fletcher Roberts again did some good things, I hope he makes it for his and the team's sake, I was a very harsh critic.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Jake Neade is just a sniper. Pity our Cameron McDonald from the 60's wasn't present at the Suckling incident, very lucky you Jake.
Fletcher Roberts again did some good things, I hope he makes it for his and the team's sake, I was a very harsh critic.

As aside, if umpires won't turn a free kick over for what Neade did to Suckling then they simply won't free kicks over anymore. Until they change the interpretation one week without telling anyone.

chef
11-06-2016, 09:42 PM

What the...

SonofScray
11-06-2016, 09:49 PM
1. When you defend well and convert your chances, you are always in with a chance. We have the 2nd aspect in our skillset I think.
2. Caleb Daniel has the Midas Touch.
3. PAFC are like Norf with their faux tough guy act.

Twodogs
11-06-2016, 09:50 PM

Cam McDonald must be getting on a bit now. He might have been up for it but the young Neade would have had more energy I reckon.:)

bornadog
11-06-2016, 09:59 PM
What the...

Chef, you need to go back and see the time of the post and the follow ups

westbulldog
11-06-2016, 10:12 PM
Cam McDonald must be getting on a bit now. He might have been up for it but the young Neade would have had more energy I reckon.:)
Quite true, Cam McDonald is 75. Ivan Marsh is 73. Either would have comprehensively cleaned up Neade.

whythelongface
11-06-2016, 10:14 PM
1. thank you Sydney for letting Shane Biggs come to us. He has blossomed into some sort of player and a number of times today his delivery into the fwd 50 was sublime.

2. You need a player like Jack Redpath to be able to win a GF. Players who work their butts of around the ground, who can be both a leading target and is strong under the ball. He is extremely important for us as we move into the back half of the season. We are expecting a lot from him and he is standing up and delivering. I can't speak highly enough of him.

3. I already knew this but by crikey we are a tough team. Port threw everything they had us - this was their most important game of the year. The game they needed to win to build momentum heading into the 2nd half of the season to be a finals contender. It was their GF. But every time they looked like having an advantage we upped the ante and took it away from them. Sensational stuff.

chef
11-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Chef, you need to go back and see the time of the post and the follow ups

Yeah i know when it was posted.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2016, 11:45 PM
One of the best wins I have seen, when you consider we beat them on their own ant-hill, down a premium tall defender, our best small attacking playmaker for three quarters and 23-10 against for frees.

1. Learned Redpath has only played 20 games. Thanks for that info.

2. Jack Stringer is quiet, then keeps bouncing back when required. Sign of a true champion. Bevo starting to use him to turn the tide around the ground is a real credit to him. One of very few players you can do that with.

3. Hamling seems to have done ok as he's not getting whipped too much!

bornadog
11-06-2016, 11:46 PM
One of the best wins I have seen, when you consider we beat them on their own ant-hill, down a premium tall defender, our best small midfielder for three quarters and 23-10 against for frees.

1. Learned Redpath has only played 20 games. Thanks for that info.

Bevo also thought it was one of our best wins.

Bulldog4life
12-06-2016, 12:14 AM

I used to love watching Onka McDonald hit them.

Bulldog4life
12-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Quite true, Cam McDonald is 75. Ivan Marsh is 73. Either would have comprehensively cleaned up Neade.

Fairly certain he passed away in the last few years too.

merantau
12-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Cameron McDonald had a strong wrestling background for those who weren't around to see him play.

KT31
12-06-2016, 12:25 AM
We can now judge him, based on Sockeye Salmons rule.:)

Who ?;)

Twodogs
12-06-2016, 12:28 AM

Ian Bryant would have shredded him into mincemeat.

Remi Moses
12-06-2016, 12:30 AM
1. Outstanding young leaders
2. The ability to stand up to when being dominated
3. Caleb Daniel has Sam Mitchell decision making and evasive skills

whythelongface
12-06-2016, 12:44 AM
1. Outstanding young leaders
2. The ability to stand up to when being dominated
3. Caleb Daniel has Sam Mitchell decision making and evasive skills

Good comparison Remi. I was trying to think whom Caleb reminded me of and Sam Mitchell certainly is up there. He has such surety with ball in hand.

westbulldog
12-06-2016, 12:50 AM
Fairly certain he passed away in the last few years too.

How sad, I didn't know that

KT31
12-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Good comparison Remi. I was trying to think whom Caleb reminded me of and Sam Mitchell certainly is up there. He has such surety with ball in hand.

He is so composed and impressive, how the Port and Adelaide supporters must rue their teams poor decision not to draft him.

jeemak
12-06-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm actually waiting for someone to really slam a guy like Neade's ilk into a fence and go on with it to prove a point. I guess the problem with professionalism is that jerks like him get away with the first snipe and the retaliatory action against is penalised too thoroughly.

The umpires won't punish it, ever, but I know of something that would very quickly.

Twodogs
12-06-2016, 03:02 AM
Saw Andy Preston do exactly that to an opponent in 1987(?) while playing for us. He never played for us again after that.

Webby
12-06-2016, 03:06 AM
1. Port aren't that bad. Copped the stink eye a couple of times, but they respect the game and can cop a bit of wit from another working class club.... Mind you, whipped the colours off prior to hitting Hinley Street!
2. Collingwood are still far more feral than Port... And Essendon are far more feral than Collingwood..
3. Despite a fun trip and Dogs triumph, still kind of miss the Harts Hotel!!��

Twodogs
12-06-2016, 03:11 AM
1. Port aren't that bad. Copped the stink eye a couple of times, but they respect the game and can cop a bit of wit from another working class club.... Mind you, whipped the colours off prior to hitting Hinley Street!
2. Collingwood are still far more feral than Port... And Essendon are far more feral than Collingwood..
3. Despite a fun trip and Dogs triumph, still kind of miss the Harts Hotel!!��

Harts was rocking!

SlimPickens
12-06-2016, 09:40 AM
1. So incredibly refreshing to see a lead up forward get reward for effort.

2. The Bont could win the Brownlow, his mid season form should stack on the votes.

3. This team has spunk.

ratsmac
12-06-2016, 09:56 AM
1. Jake Stringer can play the best 5 minutes of football you'll ever see and the worst 5 minutes of football all in the same 5 minutes.

2. The AFL have some kind of hidden agenda for interstate teams to be winning or something. That free kick count was not just the lopsided differential. They just ignored blatant free kicks for us. Maybe I have my bulldogs glasses on but when it went our way when we played Adelaide, Adelaide were only stiff on a few frees, yesterday we we stiff on about 15 frees. And that last goal to Port was no way a goal and the umpire ran and signaled a goal in record time as if he knew that there was only 17 seconds left. Where was all the BS theatrics??? Actually I don't know what I learned here.

3. We have been finding ways to grind out wins. We would of lost these close games in the past. This is a special group of players we have and not only the senior players, the 2nd tier are holding their own as well.

azabob
12-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Jake Stringer and the 5 minute phenomenon- love it!

soupman
12-06-2016, 11:03 AM
1. Jake Stringer can play the best 5 minutes of football you'll ever see and the worst 5 minutes of football all in the same 5 minutes.

I'm calling it. He is the worst best player we've ever had. His ability to do the impossible is only countered by his ability to stuff up the easiest stuff.

Smads57
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM
1. I love this football team
2. We have an outstanding 'deep' midfield group who just keep pushing on regardless of the so called quality of the opposition (now for Danger and Selwood next week)
3. Did I mention I love this football team?

angelopetraglia
12-06-2016, 11:36 AM
1. This teams hangs tough when things don't go their way. They way they absorbed that pressure in the 2nd quarter was enormous.

2. This team never gives up. I thought they were gone about three different times yet kept finding away to get back in it.

3. Our depth is so very good. No Bob, Wood, JJ, Adams, lose Dalhaus yet still find a way to get the job done. Honeychurch comes straight into round 12, gets 22 and is a real contributor

Ghost Dog
12-06-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm calling it. He is the worst best player we've ever had. His ability to do the impossible is only countered by his ability to stuff up the easiest stuff.

Example of stuffing up easy stuff? I didn't see all of the game yet.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2016, 11:43 AM
And that last goal to Port was no way a goal and the umpire ran and signaled a goal in record time as if he knew that there was only 17 seconds left. Where was all the BS theatrics??? Actually I don't know what I learned here.

I've watched the replay of that kick 4 or 5 times, because I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

From the live telecast, it looked like it may have gone over the goal post.

As you say, the umpire made the decision and signalled the goal in record time.

On the replay, they show the footage from the camera on the goal umpires head, and you can just see the ball at the very top of the camera angle, it wasn't easy to see and I'm not sure how good a look the umpire really go of it.

All of that being said, I'm comfortable it was a goal, it was just weird how it all unfolded.

hujsh
12-06-2016, 11:43 AM
We can adapt when we need to.When Port got their biggest lead we asically shut down all he free flow for either side and ground out 3 goals in an almost boring fashion, culminating in Libba's great goal. If the free flowing fast game is working against us it's good to know we can switch things up

F'scary
12-06-2016, 11:52 AM
1. It is not always the quarter where you outscore your opponent the most that wins you the game.
2. The best wins are where you have also beaten the consensus opinion (see the odds before the game).
3. We can win without Dahlhaus. (But it is a massive loss for us.)

KT31
12-06-2016, 12:35 PM
and that last goal to Port was no way a goal and the umpire ran and signaled a goal in record time as if he knew that there was only 17 seconds left.

I thought it was a point as it seemed to go directly over the top of the goal post.

Max469
12-06-2016, 01:03 PM
I was listening to radio and they thought it was a point also

jeemak
12-06-2016, 01:09 PM
ratsmac and Go_Dogs, I thought it was pretty suss as well.

I didn't think the goal umpire actually watched it go all the way through when I first saw the footage from his head cam, but at the time I thought I was just being a paranoid Bulldogs supporter awaiting the next AFL conspiracy to culminate in another heartbreaking Bulldogs loss!

I'll watch again with interest.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Bevo at his presser said all the dogs coaches thought it went straight through the points.

Throughandthrough
12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
I was behind the goals, our players on the oval weren't happy, BUT looking on TV it looks ok. Doesn't matter, we won.

KT31
12-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Bevo at his presser said all the dogs coaches thought it went straight through the points.

I have watched the replay and still think there is some doubt in it, third umpire must of had no doubt though as they did't hold up play at all after the review.

F'scary
12-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I thought it was a point as it seemed to go directly over the top of the goal post.

I've looked at it a couple of times (it is in the "final 2 minutes" vid on the Club's website and you are being generous in allowing that it went directly over the goal post. Terrible decision and yes the umps seemed awfully keen to maximise the time remaining. We were fortunate we gave them no opportunity for a 50/50 decision in Port's favour - although every Port player who got near the ball was throwing his arms out inviting the ump to give him a free. And that no ball up decision at our CHF, the ump let it go on because every time he was thinking he would have to concede the ball up for a second it looked like Port would get a break away. The (standing) agenda: "we have to grow the game interstate for the sake of a national competition."

jeemak
12-06-2016, 01:48 PM
F-Man I was screaming at the umpire to ball that up. Unbelievable how interpretation can change in the last minutes of the game, it was like it was 2012-2013 all over again, and the rolling maul was left to be.

KT31
12-06-2016, 01:51 PM
F-Man I was screaming at the umpire to ball that up. Unbelievable how interpretation can change in the last minutes of the game, it was like it was 2012-2013 all over again, and the rolling maul was left to be.

With the clock still ticking down it worked out ok for us.

jeemak
12-06-2016, 01:55 PM
With the clock still ticking down it worked out ok for us.

It did in the end, but at the time I felt Port was looking likely to find a release and were given every chance to do so.

Throughandthrough
12-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I wonder if the sling tackle on the Bont about a half a second after the final siren will be looked at

F'scary
12-06-2016, 02:04 PM
It did in the end, but at the time I felt Port was looking likely to find a release and were given every chance to do so.

Absolutely, with the alternative outcome being a holding the ball decision against us - but we kept tipping it out again quicker than the ump could blow his whistle to ping us, so we stuffed the ump up on that one with benefit that the clock in fact ran down a bit more.

The bulldog tragician
12-06-2016, 02:21 PM
1. The belief and character of this group is the strongest I've seen.
2. Don't ever trust a Foxtel go app if you're ever away from home. It crashed 10 minutes into the last quarter. What a time for me to have no coverage.
3. That win, in my view, was even better than the Sydney one last year. The impact of a fanatical crowd is much greater over in Bogan-land; our opponents had their season on the line; we dealt with every kind of adversity, a key player withdrawing pre match, a star midfielder injury, bewildering umpiring and losses of momentum. This is the kind of win that sets us up for finals pressure. Only a few weeks ago when we lost to Hawthorn there was much anguish about us always losing the close ones. Now we know what it's like, through our wins v Crows, WCE and Port. What a future we have and if the dreaded injury gods would just go and pick on someone else 2016 could finally be our year.

F'scary
12-06-2016, 02:26 PM
I can see where you are coming from with your point 3, Tragician. But for me, the Sydney win was more significant because it came at a time when most had us pegged as a bottom 4 club.

Ozza
12-06-2016, 02:36 PM
1. As slim Pickens said....Bont can win the brown low. 4 BOG's in the last 6 weeks. (Danger will take some catching though!!)
2. We have become a side that wins close games. I know we probably have to prove that in this years finals - but in the last 7-8 weeks we have just looked different in the big moments, there's a growing maturity and also a sense that Bonti, Libba and Macrae won't let us lose.
3. Honeychurch has spent his time in the VFL getting fitter and getting better! Thought he played really well.

F'scary
12-06-2016, 02:51 PM
1. As slim Pickens said....Bont can win the brown low. 4 BOG's in the last 6 weeks. (Danger will take some catching though!!)
2. We have become a side that wins close games. I know we probably have to prove that in this years finals - but in the last 7-8 weeks we have just looked different in the big moments, there's a growing maturity and also a sense that Bonti, Libba and Macrae won't let us lose.
3. Honeychurch has spent his time in the VFL getting fitter and getting better! Thought he played really well.

He is a good smaller player - there has to be a risk we will lose him if he can't get a regular game.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-06-2016, 11:12 PM
1 We can create our own history, winning against up and about Port at Adelaide Oval with 40.000 ferals screaming at us.
2. We can play finals intensity footy and come out on top.
3. There is a considerable belief in the squad that will stand them in good stead in the remaining battles of 2016.

Ghost Dog
12-06-2016, 11:32 PM
1 We can create our own history, winning against up and about Port at Adelaide Oval with 40.000 ferals screaming at us.
2. We can play finals intensity footy and come out on top.
3. Their is a considerable belief in the squad that will stand them in good stead in the remaining battles of 2016.

Especially when we get some players back.

LostDoggy
14-06-2016, 08:58 PM
1.That maybe Stringer can play up the ground a bit more.

2.We are always in games even when the opp.pressure is imense.

3.Neade is a dead set Muppett.