PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli ~ 50 Games

Ozza
14-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Congratulations to Marcus Bontempelli, on 50 games this weekend for the club.

I'm not sure if another Bulldog player has had more impact in their first 49 games, in fact I can't remember many players at all who have had this much impact in 49 games in the AFL.

Currently sitting 5th in the AFL player rankings.
Already plenty of match winning performances and huge moments.
Youngest player ever to captain a team to a victory.
And a wonderful young man.

It is an absolute pleasure to watch him play for our team.

LostDoggy
14-06-2016, 11:47 AM
I was having a conversation in a small group the other day where we were talking about who we would set as 3 ideal role models for our kids to look up to. I pissed my partner off when I nominated Chris Grant, Bob Murphy and Marcus Bontempelli. She thought I was being flippant, I was dead serious though.

Already 50 games in I'm pretty comfortable putting the Bont in the most elite of company as a player and the way he carries himself as a young man. Could easily be the best player in the competition right now - I certainly wouldn't swap him for anyone.

hujsh
14-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I was ready to be very mad at BT for starting this thread. But since it was someone else we should be fine *knock on Easton Wood*

bulldogtragic
14-06-2016, 11:59 AM
I was ready to be very mad at BT for starting this thread. But since it was someone else we should be fine *knock on Easton Wood*

There's no comment from me.

Dancin' Douggy
14-06-2016, 01:26 PM
All this crap about Cripps / Bontempelli.

Carlton would trade Cripps to us for the Bont in a heartbeat.

bornadog
14-06-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure if another Bulldog player has had more impact in their first 49 games, in fact I can't remember many players at all who have had this much impact in 49 games in the AFL.

I will nominate Chris Grant - youngest player to kick 50 goals.

The Bont is a very special footballer and should be locked in for 10 years plus (Go J Macc, get it done)

Twodogs
14-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Sometimes I see Bont scoop a ball up one handed and poke a ball on a leading forwards chest and then take a crunching mark inside a huge pack in defense in the very next play and think I've never seen anyone make those things seem any simpler than Bontempelli.

Daughter of the West
14-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Only 50 games. Say it again, only 50 games. He is a phenomenal force! And still just a kid.

May there be 250 more and not a golf cart or knee reco sight!

Ozza
14-06-2016, 04:11 PM
I will nominate Chris Grant - youngest player to kick 50 goals.

The Bont is a very special footballer and should be locked in for 10 years plus (Go J Macc, get it done)

Grant was certainly the first that came to mind - and is my all time favourite player. But I'm not sure Chris was this good at the same age. Bont is in the conversation of best players in the league - its remarkable.

I remember being at a Presidents dinner that Matt Boyd was speaking at (when out injured), and Bonti had only played 4 games. Boydy said that Bonti was the most talented player he'd ever seen walk through the doors at the club. It was an outrageous claim to make at the time!

ledge
14-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Grant was certainly the first that came to mind - and is my all time favourite player. But I'm not sure Chris was this good at the same age. Bont is in the conversation of best players in the league - its remarkable.

I remember being at a Presidents dinner that Matt Boyd was speaking at (when out injured), and Bonti had only played 4 games. Boydy said that Bonti was the most talented player he'd ever seen walk through the doors at the club. It was an outrageous claim to make at the time!
Would he change his mind now with the likes of Stringer and Daniels around ?

Eastdog
14-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Congratulations Marcus. Great opening post Ozza. Yes he has been great for us so far.

Topdog
14-06-2016, 09:37 PM
All this crap about Cripps / Bontempelli.

Carlton would trade Cripps to us for the Bont in a heartbeat.

Is anyone even bothering with that comparison any more?

bulldogtragic
14-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Is anyone even bothering with that comparison any more?

An idiot? So a fair few in the media maybe.

Bonts> Cripps
Daniel> Jones
Nothing> Tutt

Remi Moses
14-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Up there with Chris Grant as the best first 50 games I've seen at our club
Well done Bont

SonofScray
14-06-2016, 11:20 PM
By the time he hits 200 games with us he will be a Premiership player and an Immortal of this club. Has it in him to be the all time, best ever Bulldog. Better than Grant, better than EJ. We are watching the emergence of the GOAT.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2016, 11:36 PM
By the time he hits 200 games with us he will be a Premiership player and an Immortal of this club. Has it in him to be the all time, best ever Bulldog. Better than Grant, better than EJ. We are watching the emergence of the GOAT.

SoS called it first. The Bontempelli-Whitten Oval with statues of both out the front.

Twodogs
15-06-2016, 01:03 AM
SoS called it first. The Bontempelli-Whitten Oval with statues of both out the front.

Until we organise the statue Bont himself could stand on the plinth next to EJ. Only climbing down to train and play but at all other times in his rightful place at Ted's right hand.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 01:06 AM
Until we organise the statue Bont himself could stand on the plinth next to EJ. Only climbing down to train and play but at all other times in his rightful place at Ted's right hand.

How has the club neglected to do this already? While blokes like SoS, you & I are forced to think of these great ideas after midnight during the week. This is a very lucky club to have dedicated bulldog thinkers like us always on the lookout for it. :D

Twodogs
15-06-2016, 03:42 AM
How has the club neglected to do this already? While blokes like SoS, you & I are forced to think of these great ideas after midnight during the week. This is a very lucky club to have dedicated bulldog thinkers like us always on the lookout for it. :D

As is Marcus himself. Just think, it probably hasn't occurred to him that he could spend his spare time doing this.

KT31
16-06-2016, 02:01 PM
50 games only, WOW.
From day dot he has stood out as an absolute gem and a gun on and off the field.

bornadog
17-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Some of his highlights here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-06-16/best-of-bont-first-50-games)

westdog54
17-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Some of his highlights here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-06-16/best-of-bont-first-50-games)

There are some great examples in there of his footballing smarts.

The last one is a prime example. Knowing that he would probably be wrapped up in a tackle as soon as he took possession, he's sidestepping as he takes possession, not only wrong footing both defenders but putting himself onto his left for the shot on goal.

The one against North is just sublime. Assessing each feebler add they come to tackle him and quickly figuring out how best to evade them.