PDA

View Full Version : Your Best 22 - In Order of Selection.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 12:36 AM
I'm not after a best 22 line by line. But rather your first 22 players picked by sequential order, however you can pick injured players to make it more difficult. A brief explanation on why they are in the order would be helpful for discussion. We generally agree on the best 22-25 or so players, but where you would pick them might differ greatly. For example I will kick off:

1. Bonts - My first picked every week. I really feel for Stringer, but he's Bonts. "He's first picked every week".
2. Stringer - "I call him, number 2". He'd be number 1 picked each week in most AFL teams.
3. Liberatore - Contested beast, great by hand & foot, and has been kicking goals which puts him high up the order for me.
4. Wood - Defensive general, intercept King. Great hands, speed, courage. Been a great leader in Bob's absence.
5. Bob - All Australian defender. Intercepts, rebound, kicks on both feet, captain, God.
6. Morris - Arguably one of our most consistent and reliable players. Picks himself in the top half dozen I think.
7. Dahl - He's a gun player and very versatile. Enough said.
8. JJ - Run, carry, hurt factor, gun. Enough said.
9. Macrae - Link man, hard nut, accumulator, gut runner. Good on the inside & outside.
10. Crameri - multiple leading goal kicker, very hard worker, hits the scoreboard. He's a top 10'er when fit & in form.
11. Wallis - Heart and soul player. At the bottom of every pack, always doing the gut running, hard work & midfield leader.
12. Dickson - Give him a few kicks and he's good for a few goals. Smart footballer. Great asset, for which puts him high for me.
13. Matt Boyd - Right now he's showing leadership everywhere and in arguably career best form.
14. Tom Boyd - 203cm, 100+ KGs, straightens us up, good goal kicker, can play second ruck. A gun in the making.
15. Adams - Great in the air, great hands, athletic, plays tall and moves well. Key part of the defence already.
16. Daniel - Hard on Hunter, but Daniel has real hurt factor wherever he players. Smart footballer, very good player.
17. Hunter - Possibly harsh that a kid in career best form is 17th picked, but that's still starting 18.
18. Roughead - Starting Camhead ruckman. Career best form in the ruck and can swing down back if needed. Versatile.

19. McLean - Just a super smart user. Love his hands, linking play and goal sense. Great off a forward flank.
20. Suckling - The best kicking foot in Australia. Say no more...
21. Campbell - Also in career best form. Camhead's second wave.
22. Picken - Well, he's Liam Picken.

Emergencies:

23. Biggs - So harsh, the ability to add in injured players forces him down. If the rules were today, he's in the 22 somewhere for Bob.
24. Redpath - Career best form. Again, if Crameri was off this list, he's in somewhere in the 22.
25. Stevens - Huge call. I was debating Picken vs Stevens and coin toss came up Picken.

Harder than it looks if you think about all the players on the list, and their strengthens and weaknesses for a while.

dukedog
15-06-2016, 06:08 AM
Thats a nice job right there. I was going to post my best 22 for finals in the other thread. I couldn't even do that. Depth is amazing this year. Well done on the list mate. Was a good read.

bornadog
15-06-2016, 10:09 AM
I would substitute Biggs for Mclean. Biggs is one of the first picked every week for the backline by the MC, he has been rock solid there. Mclean, lots of potential, but still has along way to go.

Scorlibo
15-06-2016, 01:51 PM
I'd take Dahl first, and have Picken in the first ten.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 02:36 PM
I'd take Dahl first, and have Picken in the first ten.

Two big calls. Whys that out of interest?

Bulldog Joe
15-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Congrats.

I just can't do it. I have about 25 automatic selections when fit.

How can I choose just one. (or put them in any semblance of order)

Scorlibo
15-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Two big calls. Whys that out of interest?

Luke sets the tone every week with his intensity around the ball, he's almost never beaten and the coaches would trust him implicitly. Couldn't say that entirely about any other player, even though there are others with more raw talent. Closest to the pin in that respect would be...Picken. He can play anywhere and with any role, just say the word and he'll do it, and again always seems to at least equalise a contest. The ultimate team player, and a better player now under Beveridge than under any previous coach. What's your rationale for having him last picked (and first to go)?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Luke sets the tone every week with his intensity around the ball, he's almost never beaten and the coaches would trust him implicitly. Couldn't say that entirely about any other player, even though there are others with more raw talent. Closest to the pin in that respect would be...Picken. He can play anywhere and with any role, just say the word and he'll do it, and again always seems to at least equalise a contest. The ultimate team player, and a better player now under Beveridge than under any previous coach. What's your rationale for having him last picked (and first to go)?

Good call with Dahl. Picko isn't necessarily first to go from our best 22, on full fitness I think others have other aspects that have me rank them higher. That he's my last of the 22 isn't a reflection of him, but the squad as I see it. That said, he's in my best 22 players. There's about 20 players who were not in my list at all. It's a tough task and I reflected for a good hour to sequentially pick every playervandva rationale. I'd love to see others have a go at the full 22, it's a lot tougher than it might seem.

Ozza
15-06-2016, 04:55 PM
I'll have a crack. Based on right now....
I haven't ranked our big guys very highly - they certainly aren't our strength, and are more role player types at this point in their careers. The improvement of our big blokes is probably what turns a good side into a great side.

1. Bonti - in American sporting parlance....a Franchise Player.
2. Libba - Refuses to lose, does everything he can. Has been hitting the scoreboard, dominates clearances. Doesn't have bad games.
3. Stringer - Freak. Still does plenty wrong - but as explosive a player as any in the comp.
4. Bob - Last years AA captain. Distribution of the ball and breaking lines is 1st rate.
5. Morris - Does more to stop the opposition scoring than anyone. Courageous. Rarely beaten. Extraordinary reader of the play.
6. Wood - Similar to Morris. Better in the air, and more attacking - but doesn't quite match him as pure defender yet.
7. Dahlhaus - Hard to have him so low. Great player. Probably only his kicking keeps him marginally below 'elite'.
8. Macrae - Tireless worker - gets the ball at will. Would be great to see him hit the scoreboard, and use it a bit better.
9. Hunter - See Macrae - probably only difference is Macrae is more accomplished 'inside'.
10. M.Boyd - Probably should be higher - but hard to dislodge the top 9. Outstanding career - going great guns at HBF.
11. Johannisen - the line breaker. Has improved disposal enormously last 2 years.
12. Wallis - Would be a top 10 player at plenty of clubs.
13. Dickson - 50 goals last season.
14. Crameri - Quality forward with plenty of great attributes. Lacks some polish and consistency at times. Great on his day.
15. Suckling - His kicking turns our defence into attack. Smart player. Can play anywhere.
16. Picken - Fit as a trout. Underrated athlete. Never lets us down.
17. Biggs - Going really really well. Great composure.
18. Daniel - His ball use is that good he could be higher in the list.
19. Adams - Key part of the defence. Has had plenty of big moments and big games on key players.
20. Redpath - Huge 5 weeks. Great kick at goal. If this is the new standard for him - then he is best 22 no question.
21. Roughead - Contested marking and rucking has really improved. Gives us flexibility that he can be used in defence.
22. McLean - Going really well pre-injury. Competes in the air - which belies his stature.

----------------------------------

23. Campbell - putting together some good performances. Hard to split him and Roughead at times as 'No.1 ruck'
24. Stevens - Hasn't had the continuity in his game due to injury.
25. T.Boyd - Mobility and competitiveness need to improve to realise his talent.
26. Roberts - Starting to find his feet in defence. Needs to hold the contested marks that he is now getting in the box seat for.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Great work Ozza. It just occurred to me reading your list that we've got absolute pups like Adams, Daniel & McLean in our 22. Huge return on those draft picks to be considered best 22 already.

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 05:22 PM
I'll have a go using your template... its not easy, I found 11 – 22 the most difficult. Sorry for shooting any Bambi’s

1. Bonts - One of the best in the competition
2. Liberatore - Consistently Influential at the coal face and nails goals
3. Morris - Repels attack after attack, beats the smalls, talls and behemoths consistently.
4. Wood - Defends areas and turns defence to attack
5. Lukey D - Consistent gutsy performer, lacks the finishing of Libba
6. Clay Smith - just cos
7. Wallis – Similar mould to Libba and Dahl, these guys are so important
8. JJ – Fast and Dynamic, attacking from the rear
9. Stringer – probably my favourite player, can turn games himself, needs to be more consistent
10. Crameri – Good shot for goal, versatile as an effective key forward and smallish forward as well as being a big bodied midfield option.
11. Hunter – prolific, edged in front of Macrae for mine, refine the disposal further
12. Dickson – 50 goal forward that kicks straight
13. Macrae – A star, important midfielder with points of difference to Libba, Dahl and Wallis
14. Daniel – Creative and Industrious, involved in many successful plays.
15. Suckling – I just swapped Murph for Suckling, tough job, I think Suckers maybe shades Murph in 2016. I’ll give a different answer tomorrow
16. Adams – Number 1 KPD
17. Redpath – Number 1 KPF
18. Campbell – Number 1 ruck

19. Stevens – Hard and Versatile, maybe swaps with Maclean soon, earlier if we need more forward class
20. Murph – Creative and Intelligent, brings composure to the team, I lost room for him in the 18 picking some necessary KP’s
21. Roughead – 2nd ruck and versatile, could swap with T Boyd, with a few sharing 2nd ruck
22. Picken – Tough, hard and consistent

Emergencies:

23. – Maclean – 2017 first 22
24. - T Boyd – Should move up the ladder very quickly in the next 18 months
25. – Biggs/M Boyd - kept out by suckling, JJ, Murph

I rate Bailey Williams already and will be best 22 by 2018 or before
Bailey Dale – I let slide but hopeful on his further development
Webb – another important player moving forward

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 05:25 PM
You have a vacancy at spot 6 if that helps. :)

Twodogs
15-06-2016, 06:44 PM

There's word Johnno might be on the mend finally.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Breaking news Twodogs. He just got run over by a golf cart. Again. Out indefinitely.

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I'll have a go using your template... its not easy, I found 11 – 22 the most difficult. Sorry for shooting any Bambi’s

1. Bonts - One of the best in the competition
2. Liberatore - Consistently Influential at the coal face and nails goals
3. Morris - Repels attack after attack, beats the smalls, talls and behemoths consistently.
4. Wood - Defends areas and turns defence to attack
5. Lukey D - Consistent gutsy performer, lacks the finishing of Libba
7. Wallis – Similar mould to Libba and Dahl, these guys are so important
8. JJ – Fast and Dynamic, attacking from the rear
9. Stringer – probably my favourite player, can turn games himself, needs to be more consistent
10. Crameri – Good shot for goal, versatile as an effective key forward and smallish forward as well as being a big bodied midfield option.
11. Hunter – prolific, edged in front of Macrae for mine, refine the disposal further
12. Dickson – 50 goal forward that kicks straight
13. Macrae – A star, important midfielder with points of difference to Libba, Dahl and Wallis
14. Daniel – Creative and Industrious, involved in many successful plays.
15. Suckling – I just swapped Murph for Suckling, tough job, I think Suckers maybe shades Murph in 2016. I’ll give a different answer tomorrow
16. Adams – Number 1 KPD
17. Redpath – Number 1 KPF
18. Campbell – Number 1 ruck

19. Stevens – Hard and Versatile, maybe swaps with Maclean soon, earlier if we need more forward class
20. Murph – Creative and Intelligent, brings composure to the team, I lost room for him in the 18 picking some necessary KP’s
21. Roughead – 2nd ruck and versatile, could swap with T Boyd, with a few sharing 2nd ruck
22. Picken – Tough, hard and consistent

Emergencies:

23. – Maclean – 2017 first 22
24. - T Boyd – Should move up the ladder very quickly in the next 18 months
25. – Biggs/M Boyd - kept out by suckling, JJ, Murph

I rate Bailey Williams already and will be best 22 by 2018 or before
Bailey Dale – I let slide but hopeful on his further development
Webb – another important player moving forward

With all players fit and healthy, Bob is 20th picked? I'd suggest he'd be 1st.

meenies
15-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Dare to dream - our GF side this year, by lines.
Taken as all fit and well and firing... But you know that will not be the case.

Dahl, Redpath, Stringer
Dickson, Bontempelli, Crameri (he eligible by then?)
Macrae, Liberatore, Hunter
Wood, Biggs, Suckling
Morris, Adams, JJ

Roughead, Stevens, Daniel

Wallis, MBoyd, Campbell, Picken, McLean (for Crameri if cannot use)

emg: Roberts, CSmith, Jong

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 11:06 PM

That would help...

Ill fix it tomorrow or ill be lazy and stick Adcock in there ;)

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 11:08 PM
That would help...

Ill fix it tomorrow or ill be lazy and stick Adcock in there ;)

I just literally laughed out loud! :D

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 11:09 PM

Bugger it, Ive shoved Clay in to 6.

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 11:12 PM
With all players fit and healthy, Bob is 20th picked? I'd suggest he'd be 1st.

I already apologised for shooting bambis, maybe he is on one leg.

1eyedog
16-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Dahl, Redpath, Stringer
Wood, Biggs, Suckling
Morris, Adams, JJ

When can Crammers start playing?

1eyedog
16-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Dahl, Redpath, Stringer
Wood, Biggs, Suckling
Morris, Adams, JJ

Banned until November 2016

bulldogtragic
16-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Anyone reading the OP? :)

hujsh
16-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Anyone reading the OP? :)

Best 22...selection. Yep all good here