PDA

View Full Version : Women's league teams revealed - 8 Teams - DOGS lead the way

bornadog
15-06-2016, 12:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck9B0U4VEAABMEy.jpg:large

Historical league named

Inaugural teams for 2017

Crows, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Freo, GWS, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs

5 teams have a provisional license and will be introduced in 2018, depending on development of players in their area.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Go doggies. Let's get that first premiership.

Scraggers
15-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Great news for the Dogs ... But GWS ... Really?

bornadog
15-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Great news for the Dogs ... But GWS ... Really?

Sydney didn't bother putting in a bid - pretty weak.

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 12:23 PM
In fairness basing a NSW team to attract/facilitate female players, the Western Suburbs/inland area really makes a lot more sense than the Eastern suburbs based team.

bornadog
15-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Not sure why both Collingwood and Carlton get teams, when the South East suburbs isnot represented.

Daughter of the West
15-06-2016, 12:50 PM
I am so happy for the team and the club, it's a wonderful, wonderful thing! I'm just sad that I'm too old and slow now to have a crack. If this had have been around when I was in primary school, even high school - strong, fit, capable professional athletes to look up to and inspire us gals.

And not mentioning the fact my stupid all girls high school only decided to put together a footy side the year after I finished. I'm not still bitter about that fourteen years later... :mad:

Scorlibo
15-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Fantastic for the club to be involved as an inaugural team and even better for the league to exist in the first place. Can't wait to get behind the team next year!

ledge
15-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Apparently home and away games, starts in Feb, that's six games, hope they playing whitten oval I would go for sure . Would love to help out some way , even the VFL side I would love to help out at home as I go to all them as well.

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Suprised Geelong was overlooked!

ledge
15-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Apparently they don't have a lot of participants out that way .. There is a lot in Ballarat I believe which helped out cause.

comrade
15-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Good chance to utilise Whitten Oval and while we're at it, strengthen ties with the Ballarat community and play women's games at Eureka Stadium.

Murphy'sLore
15-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Yesss! Thrilled about this! Go Dogs!

I do wish Collingwood would just FOAD though... why do they have to muscle their way into everything?

Remi Moses
15-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Thoroughly deserved .
Could you imagine McGuire and Collingwood if they hadn't got a side ?
We might have not had our regular Travis Cloke update

ledge
15-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Travis is one of their marquee players according to Facebook memes

LostDoggy
15-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Travis is one of their marquee players according to Facebook memes

I really don't like the idea of bagging out a player by stating he should play women's footy. I don't usually try to PC my way into an argument but the girls deserve more respect than that.

I am absolutely delighted about the women's league, I will be buying a membership for the women's team and going to as many games as possible. It is a great spectacle to watch in that it is very different from the men's comp.

ledge
15-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I really don't like the idea of bagging out a player by stating he should play women's footy. I don't usually try to PC my way into an argument but the girls deserve more respect than that.

I am absolutely delighted about the women's league, I will be buying a membership for the women's team and going to as many games as possible. It is a great spectacle to watch in that it is very different from the men's comp.

I'm not bagging at all just mentioned what I saw.

Scraggers
15-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Suprised Geelong was overlooked!

And St. Kilda

Hotdog60
15-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Well done to Susie and the team behind the scenes to get us across the line. You must be extremely proud of what you have achieved for Women's sport.

Go Dogs.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Yesss! Thrilled about this! Go Dogs!

I do wish Collingwood would just FOAD though... why do they have to muscle their way into everything?

Yes true, but it will mean that we can beat them in three competitions each season which will be fun. Eddie will need another ice bath to keep his temperature down. ;)

HOSE B ROMERO
15-06-2016, 08:07 PM
I am so happy for the team and the club, it's a wonderful, wonderful thing! I'm just sad that I'm too old and slow now to have a crack. If this had have been around when I was in primary school, even high school - strong, fit, capable professional athletes to look up to and inspire us gals.

And not mentioning the fact my stupid all girls high school only decided to put together a footy side the year after I finished. I'm not still bitter about that fourteen years later... :mad:

Come on DOTW, i'm sure the club could squeeze you in to a back pocket!

bulldogtragic
15-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Simple: great news.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Absolutely awesome. I thought we were going to miss out. Magnificent and historic news.

Murphy'sLore
16-06-2016, 08:52 AM
One club, three teams. Very proud of everyone involved. It really feels as if we are on the verge of something great at the moment, all the planets are aligning.

jazzadogs
16-06-2016, 09:44 AM
I see that each club is allowed two marquee signings - I assume our two will be Katie Brennan and Steph Chiocci?

Really great news for all concerned, can't wait for this to explode. I'm playing AFL in London and our club has a fantastic representation of Women's footballers (in a four team comp, fielding teams of 15-20 each week, we have about 40 girls registered and regularly attending training!). It contributes to what I would happily call the best club culture out of anywhere I've played in Melbourne and Geelong. Not to mention the standard of the Women's matches is generally better than the thirds in the men's comp!!

Daughter of the West
16-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Come on DOTW, i'm sure the club could squeeze you in to a back pocket!

Ha! At a measly 160cm, I couldn't defend my way out of a paper bag. Think Caleb Daniel, but smaller. And way more unfit. With way less talent. And no helmet.

Actually, not like Caleb Daniel at all. Maybe Andrew Hooper?

Eastdog
16-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Great news.