PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 15 2016 vs Sydney Swans

Eastdog
16-06-2016, 05:06 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 15 2016 match against Sydney Swans at the SCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
18-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Its going to take a while but lets hear them.

Rocket Science
18-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Forwards down back. Backs up forward.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Ins: 4 of Wood, JJ, Tom Boyd, Clay Smith, Stevens (Dahl?)

Outs: Jong (omit), Dunkley (omit), Honeychurch (omit), Williams (unlucky omit)

GVGjr
18-06-2016, 11:02 PM
JJ will play in the VFL after the bye. Confirmed it today

The Underdog
18-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Does Wood come in for Roberts? I know it leaves us small but do we really lose anything?

Stevens in, maybe Clay. Would love JJ but won't happen. Boyd for Campbell or Redpath? Probably not.
Jong, Honeychurch, Dunkley all would be lucky to stay up. Stringer injury a worry?

Bullies
18-06-2016, 11:49 PM
In: Wood, T Boyd, Webb,

Out: Dickson, Jong (not sure he will make it), Dunkley

Stevens needs a twos game. He rarely plays well first game back from injury and Clay needs another 2 -3 in 2's.

F'scary
18-06-2016, 11:54 PM
I'd drop some of our name players ahead of Jong and Williams after tonight's performance. See my votes.

Mantis
18-06-2016, 11:56 PM
I'd drop some of our name players ahead of Jong and Williams after tonight's performance. See my votes.

Which 'name' players?

The Underdog
18-06-2016, 11:58 PM

Williams I agree with. Jong was irrelevant for the first half. And just OK in the second.

F'scary
18-06-2016, 11:58 PM
Which 'name' players?

Dickson and Stringer were pretty bad.

F'scary
18-06-2016, 11:59 PM
Williams I agree with. Jong was irrelevant for the first half. And just OK in the second.

He had company, that is for sure.

Remi Moses
19-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Jake's gotta get on his bike in the forward half.
He is looking to get out the back to often, and easy goal.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2016, 12:16 AM
If we don't play TBoyd I'll scream. We're paying a talented young kid a million a year to play VFL. There's some players you just need to pump games into and he's at the top of the list. I don't care if it means we play all of TC/Roughy/Redpath too, or one is dropped, but Boyd must play.

Wood if he's fit (obviously) and ditto Stevens. Webb and Clay should be considered.

Possible outs include Dunkley, Williams, Jong, Roberts, Redpath/Roughy.

Ozza
19-06-2016, 12:18 AM
If posters are going to suggest that T.Boyd comes in, then it HAS to be for one of the ruckman. There's no way you can play Redpath and both Rucks. We were slow as treacle as a side when both rucks and Red were out there - can't afford 4 bigs like that in my opinion.

If Boyd goes really well tomorrow, then I'd be happy enough for him to replace Campbell, who was marginally less innefective than Rough.

The Underdog
19-06-2016, 12:26 AM
He had company, that is for sure.

Yeah but most of his company has runs on the board. He doesn't. At the moment he's too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL

LostDoggy
19-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Lay off Jake, he tried to make things happen through the middle. Bailey Williams best game. Libbas an aberration, hunter too but one game wont define them. Jong out, out of the list. Wood in. Stevo in. Roberts out, good back up player.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2016, 12:35 AM
for mine Campbell is a much better player than Roughead

GVGjr
19-06-2016, 12:37 AM
If we don't play TBoyd I'll scream. We're paying a talented young kid a million a year to play VFL. There's some players you just need to pump games into and he's at the top of the list. I don't care if it means we play all of TC/Roughy/Redpath too, or one is dropped, but Boyd must play.

While I get what you are saying I think he needed at least 2 games at Footscray to make sure he has at least some touch. I think it possibly does get to the point that we might need to give him an extended run at it.

Wood if he's fit (obviously) and ditto Stevens. Webb and Clay should be considered.

Possible outs include Dunkley, Williams, Jong, Roberts, Redpath/Roughy.

Stevens might be a hard inclusion due to the length he's been on the sideline.

kruder
19-06-2016, 12:40 AM
JJ will play in the VFL after the bye. Confirmed it today

I had a chat to him recently and he has been ready for awhile. They have been ultra conservative with him.

LostDoggy
19-06-2016, 01:02 AM
Am I the only one who thought Jong was in our best half dozen tonight?

Dunkley needs to go back to the VFL. Roughy started well but faded badly.

I'll have to wait until we see who is ready to go. Am praying Boyd earns a promotion tomorrow.

Ozza
19-06-2016, 01:04 AM

I'll have to wait until we see who is ready to go. Am praying Boyd earns a promotion tomorrow.

No you're not the only one who rated Jong's game.
I am admittedly not a Jong fan - but he played his best game for the year. Had 20 and a goal, 7 tackles. Had some really good moments.

westbulldog
19-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Jong wasn't the worst by a long shot . Williams was ok and stays in for mine. Omitting Stringer is absurd.
Wood in for Dunkley.

bornadog
19-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Easton Wood ready for Sydney:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClRktb0UsAAmYGv.jpg:large

josie
19-06-2016, 01:50 PM

No, you are not. Folks seem to have the radar on for fringe players making mistakes and forgive clangers from our stars. Thought he got better as game progressed and at least provided an OK marking target and some woefully missing energy and tackling efforts from midfield crew.

chef
19-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Thank god.

Ghost Dog
19-06-2016, 02:49 PM

Great shot of the deltoid there clearly showing the acromium process, with pennant head of the deltoid attached to it. :)
Ready for action!

1eyedog
19-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Ins: Wood and Boyd
Outs: Dunkley and Roberts

With Wood back I'd like Suckling released to play a higher role. I'd like Roughie to go back to full back with Roberts out, althoiugh this won't be as critical with Tippett out.

I'm convinced Campbell is a better ruckman than Roughie and Roughie is a better key back than Roberts. Roughie is an ok mark but it doesn't matter, he doesn't really hurt you by getting into dangerous positions and he can't kick.

Boyd to play forward / second ruck. How much ruck time can Campbell carry?

Rocco Jones
19-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Wood and Tom Boyd in looks obvious, as does Dunkley out.

Not sure who is the 2nd out. As 1eyedog has suggested, I think it is out of Campbell, Roughy and Roberts.

Maybe we go with Roughy / Tom Boyd as two 2nd ruck options, allowing us flexibility of extra tall forward or defender. Wood coming back helps us aerially. Forget raw height, Wood is clearly as a better 'tall' defender option than Roberts.

SlimPickens
19-06-2016, 07:01 PM
In: Boyd, Wood

Out: Roughy, Dunkley.

merantau
20-06-2016, 12:41 AM
I think calls for Dickson to be dropped are way off the mark. He's had an injury interrupted year and was good against Port. Jong is an interesting one. He is strong overhead and has pace. Why not leave play him as a permanent half forward alternating with Dickson. He can kick a goal and his tackling pressure is excellent. I think it's still a little early to reach a conclusion about his future. He was one of our better players against Geelong.

always right
20-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Dickson and Stringer were pretty bad.

You can't be serious re Stringer. Watch the game again (if you can stomach it) and Stringer was the only bloke who looked like making something happen...even when we were getting pumped and most of our players appeared to be on the back foot.

Ins: Wood, Webb
Outs: Dunkley, Roberts

Only other possible in is Boyd for one of Roughy or Campbell. Reckon the two have done enough this year to warrant another week although both were pretty ineffectual on Saturday despite Roughy taking some great grabs early in the game. Tough call as I think the short SCG will suit Boyd.

bornadog
20-06-2016, 10:05 AM
You can't be serious re Stringer. Watch the game again (if you can stomach it) and Stringer was the only bloke who looked like making something happen...even when we were getting pumped and most of our players appeared to be on the back foot.

Only other possible in is Boyd for one of Roughy or Campbell. Reckon the two have done enough this year to warrant another week although both were pretty ineffectual on Saturday despite Roughy taking some great grabs early in the game. Tough call as I think the short SCG will suit Boyd.

I thought Stringer was very good in the role he was asked to play.

I would love to see Boyd back in and Redpath at CHF, as long as he doesn't kick across the ground as he has done several times this year and straight to the opposition.

always right
20-06-2016, 11:59 AM
I thought Stringer was very good in the role he was asked to play.

I would love to see Boyd back in and Redpath at CHF, as long as he doesn't kick across the ground as he has done several times this year and straight to the opposition.

Yep...twice in two weeks. Mind you he had a few mates on the weekend.

F'scary
20-06-2016, 02:45 PM

I did watch the replay - amazing but true - and I think on reflection you are correct about Stringer. One can certainly say, "at least he tried to do something." I probably would have been better going after Wallis or Roughead for name players who played worse than Jong.

One goal in three quarters...5 goals for the game...we won't play any worse than that for the rest of the year and still, the result was under 10 goals. I think we can bounce back from this.

G-Mo77
20-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I thought both rucks were pretty average. Geelong rucks are such a tricky match up. Smith/Stanley/Blicavs only one real traditional ruck there. It's a really big advantage they have over most teams IMO

bornadog
20-06-2016, 03:06 PM
I thought both rucks were pretty average. Geelong rucks are such a tricky match up. Smith/Stanley/Blicavs only one real traditional ruck there. It's a really big advantage they have over most teams IMO

And they are very mobile.

always right
20-06-2016, 03:29 PM
And they jumped all over our blokes. Our ruckmen need to be far more physical but it doesn't appear to be in their make up.
TC in particular needs to crash contests more....he has the size and strength, moreso than Roughy.

kruder
20-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Im liking Wood and Webb in and Dunkley and Roberts out.

Sounds like Webb played well again and we are crying out for some better footskills. I like the mix of Suckling,Biggs,Daniel,Webb and JJ when he comes back as the kickers. There isn't much space at the SCG and the kick inside has to be accurate and when it is, can really open up play.

How do you fit Boyd in with Redpath and the two ruckman on the SCG? Keen for the kid to play but he may have to wait another week.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Im liking Wood and Webb in and Dunkley and Roberts out.

Sounds like Webb played well again and we are crying out for some better footskills. I like the mix of Suckling,Biggs,Daniel,Webb and JJ when he comes back as the kickers. There isn't much space at the SCG and the kick inside has to be accurate and when it is, can really open up play.

How do you fit Boyd in with Redpath and the two ruckman on the SCG? Keen for the kid to play but he may have to wait another week.

Given Sydney are without Tippett, do we really need Roughead AND Campbell? I'd choose one or the other.

For mine Boyd, Wood and Webb should play. I would still consider Stevens given we are without Dahlhaus and look a little light on in this area. Sydney's strength is their midfield too. If Stevens has to come back through the VFL, I would strongly consider Clay.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2016, 12:01 AM

I believe that Stringer needs to be played more in attack where his real value was last year. With Crameri and Dickson struggling we simply do not have enough avenues to goal with our meagre 5 goals against the Cats, Redpath was the only regular forward to kick a goal. Wood has been sorely missed and I would be tempted to bring JJ straight back. We have badly missed the run of Murphy and JJ from half back. I would think that Dunkley and Honeychurch should miss. It might be time to bring Tom Boyd back as another marking forward. With Wood and JJ's possible return it would leave the door open to move Suckling to a wing where his prodigious kicking would provide more penetration going forward. I hope Webb gets his opportunity soon given his consistency with Footscray in the VFL.

Mantis
21-06-2016, 09:01 AM
In - Wood, Boyd, Webb

Out - Dunkley, Roughead, ..... (probably out of HC, Dickson or Roberts)

Templeton31
21-06-2016, 02:34 PM
In: Wood Boyd
Out: Dunkley Williams

I think we need to persist with Roberts for the same reason we need to bring Big Tom in - KPPs learning their craft and yes they might not be awesome at the moment but playing games is how they get there.

bornadog
21-06-2016, 02:43 PM

I think we need to persist with Roberts for the same reason we need to bring Big Tom in - KPPs learning their craft and yes they might not be awesome at the moment but playing games is how they get there.

Do you think we can play Roberts, Adams, Redpath, Boyd, Campbell and Roughie in the same team?

merantau
21-06-2016, 04:11 PM
I am totally against any calls to drop Dickson. He is our most reliable goal kicker. He only needs half a dozen kicks inside, or on 50, and he'll kick 4 or 5 goals. As godl kicking has been our problem all year talk of ditching Dickson is at best misplaced and, at worst, merits a visit from men in white coats bearing straight jackets and large hypodermics.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2016, 05:05 PM
I am totally against any calls to drop Dickson. He is our most reliable goal kicker. He only needs half a dozen kicks inside, or on 50, and he'll kick 4 or 5 goals. As godl kicking has been our problem all year talk of ditching Dickson is at best misplaced and, at worst, merits a visit from men in white coats bearing straight jackets and large hypodermics.

Agree that Dickson should be retained. Dickson has suffered from the loss of Crameri and the fact that Stringer hasn't performed as well as last year. Dahlhaus also being out just adds to a lack of support on the forward line.

always right
21-06-2016, 05:26 PM
I believe that Stringer needs to be played more in attack where his real value was last year. With Crameri and Dickson struggling we simply do not have enough avenues to goal with our meagre 5 goals against the Cats, Redpath was the only regular forward to kick a goal. Wood has been sorely missed and I would be tempted to bring JJ straight back. We have badly missed the run of Murphy and JJ from half back. I would think that Dunkley and Honeychurch should miss. It might be time to bring Tom Boyd back as another marking forward. With Wood and JJ's possible return it would leave the door open to move Suckling to a wing where his prodigious kicking would provide more penetration going forward. I hope Webb gets his opportunity soon given his consistency with Footscray in the VFL.

I've said on a few occasions Stringer needs to play more as a high half forward where he can find more space. This will never be truer than this week at the SCG where he can push into the midfield and then kick goals from the 50. The last place I want to see him is lurking around the full forward line.

Mantis
21-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Agree that Dickson should be retained. Dickson has suffered from the loss of Crameri and the fact that Stringer hasn't performed as well as last year. Dahlhaus also being out just adds to a lack of support on the forward line.

But doesn't the repsonsibility of Dickson's performance sit with him? His job has been made harder, but it's really up to him to stand up and play his part... His probably still got some credits, but he needs to lift.

And re: merantau's post - I challenge the fact that Dickson is a dead eye around the 50m arc... He certainly is vey capable from within 40m, but as soon as he creeps out his accuracy drops off.

Templeton31
21-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Do you think we can play Roberts, Adams, Redpath, Boyd, Campbell and Roughie in the same team?

I get its tricky and all those guys are pretty slow (Redpath and Adams not too bad but the others not very agile) but to my mind the forward line is not working very well. Last week against Cats and week before against Port to a lesser degree we had kicks going into Dunkley as the "key forward". All I'm saying is replacing Dunkley with Boyd because he would be better at that role. That's really only 1 player change from how we've gone basically all year which doesn't make a massive difference to pace/rotations.

bornadog
21-06-2016, 05:52 PM
I get its tricky and all those guys are pretty slow (Redpath and Adams not too bad but the others not very agile) but to my mind the forward line is not working very well. Last week against Cats and week before against Port to a lesser degree we had kicks going into Dunkley as the "key forward". All I'm saying is replacing Dunkley with Boyd because he would be better at that role. That's really only 1 player change from how we've gone basically all year which doesn't make a massive difference to pace/rotations.

I agree, I am not sure we can have all those talls at the same time. Unless Roberts goes out, Adams takes Buddy, and Roughie rests on their resting ruckman. Boyd must come in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2016, 05:52 PM
But doesn't the repsonsibility of Dickson's performance sit with him? His job has been made harder, but it's really up to him to stand up and play his part... His probably still got some credits, but he needs to lift.

And re: merantau's post - I challenge the fact that Dickson is a dead eye around the 50m arc... He certainly is vey capable from within 40m, but as soon as he creeps out his accuracy drops off.

The forward line apart from Redpath and Dahlhaus before his injury has been poor this year. Redpath was the only regular forward to kick a goal against Geelong. Dickson copped an injury earlier in the year and as a result has looked slower. He is a better player as we saw last year when Stringer and Crameri were firing.

Ghost Dog
21-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Based on his VFL form, like to give Webb a run at half back, trial Biggs in Luke's role.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Based on his VFL form, like to give Webb a run at half back, trial Biggs in Luke's role.

That wouldn't make much sense given Webb has actually been playing mid/the Dahl role in a sense, but I definitely want Webb in this side.

Mantis
21-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Webb has being played in the midfield at VFL level.

Biggs to play Dahlhaus's role? Yeah, nah.

Bulldog Joe
21-06-2016, 06:51 PM

Agree 100% on this. Dickson's range is about 40. I feel that he rarely gets the distance if he needs to kick from anywhere near the painted 50m line.

1eyedog
21-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Agree 100% on this. Dickson's range is about 40. I feel that he rarely gets the distance if he needs to kick from anywhere near the painted 50m line.

Most players are 50 / 50 at best from 50 in terms of accuracy so it matters little whether they get the distance or it is a 50 / 50 ball. I'd actually prefer the ball to drop 5 metres out rather than a 50 / 50 scenario anyway.

A number of different variables come into play when you run off the mark in order to achieve an extra 5 metres. Dicko's not a long kick so is no different.

1eyedog
21-06-2016, 07:08 PM

Agreed. Webb in to replace Dahl with Webb in his usual role.

I wish we could just play Tom Boyd at full forward and stop smashing him up in the ruck. It's a jack of all trades master of none playing him in both positions during the course of a match.

kruder
21-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Agreed. Webb in to replace Dahl with Webb in his usual role.

I wish we could just play Tom Boyd at full forward and stop smashing him up in the ruck. It's a jack of all trades master of none playing him in both positions during the course of a match.

Yeah I agree theres definitely downside to lukes flexibility mantra which was evident on the weekend. Its a fine line but I think he has crossed over it a little. He has been playing the long game from day one but after watching GWS this year time is now.

LostDoggy
21-06-2016, 11:09 PM
In: T.Boyd, Webb
Out: Roughead, Dunkley

With Sydney's key backs looking vulnerable, this looks a great opportunity to test a TBoyd, Redpath combo. Roughead a little stiff but he is the tall that is most expendable right now for mine.

Webb's surely done enough. We can really use his classy kicking through the midfield. Dunkley is going okay, but last match really exposed his rough edges. Needs some VFL time to work on composure and skill execution.

If Wood or JJ is ready to go, I'd rest an unlucky Roberts. With Tippett out, we can afford a smaller backline. The extra backline run needs to be a strength we work with.

bornadog
21-06-2016, 11:58 PM

I just checked Geelong's team from the weekend and they played:

Zac Smith- 206cm, Stanley 200, Hawkins 198, Blicavs 198, Lonergan 197, Henderson 196.

Before I Die
22-06-2016, 01:23 AM

Zac Smith- 206cm, Stanley 200, Hawkins 198, Blicavs 198, Lonergan 197, Henderson 196.

Plus Taylor who is 195cm or 193cm depending on your source.

Rocco Jones
22-06-2016, 07:48 AM

The too many/not enough talls discussion does my head in.

Being top heavy isn't really about having too many talls, it's about having too many talls who are crap/immobile. 5 of the 6 Cats you mentioned are what I consider at least 'good' players. Also, Blicavs is super mobile, wouldn't be top heavy if he was crap anyway. If you move like a mid, you are not going to make your side top heavy.

Roberts, Redpath, Campbell and Roughead are all at varying degrees of 'solid player'. For example, Redpath getting to the next stage will make it easier for us to play Tom Boyd.

bornadog
22-06-2016, 09:48 AM
The too many/not enough talls discussion does my head in.

Being top heavy isn't really about having too many talls, it's about having too many talls who are crap/immobile. 5 of the 6 Cats you mentioned are what I consider at least 'good' players. Also, Blicavs is super mobile, wouldn't be top heavy if he was crap anyway. If you move like a mid, you are not going to make your side top heavy.

Roberts, Redpath, Campbell and Roughead are all at varying degrees of 'solid player'. For example, Redpath getting to the next stage will make it easier for us to play Tom Boyd.

A crap player is a crap player, and agree height doesn't make you a good player.

My original question put to Templeton31 still stands, can we also play all those talls, ie Campbell, Roughead, Boyd, Redpath in the same team?

Bulldog Joe
22-06-2016, 10:05 AM
A crap player is a crap player, and agree height doesn't make you a good player.

My original question put to Templeton31 still stands, can we also play all those talls, ie Campbell, Roughead, Boyd, Redpath in the same team?

I believe we need to try it and find out.

If they are taking marks they will be dangerous, but we do need to cover the possible rebound. It will put extra pressure on the runners, but does give the flexibility of having a tall to go into the backline on occasions.

Ozza
22-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Personally I don't think it will work unless Roughead was playing primarily in defence against one of the teams with a host of tall forwards.

merantau
22-06-2016, 01:27 PM
I think the time is ripe to bring Tom Boyd into the side and KEEP HIM THERE for the rest of the season. We need to get games into him - tihat's the big picture. He was recruited for a reason - a power forward is an essential component of a flag winning team. Tom Boyd needs to be playing at the highest level and we need him kicking goals, crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground. I have my eyes firmly set on 2017. We have done very well to date, despite being decimated by injury and the absence of Crameri who is a major cog in our forward set up. We are unlikely to finish top 4, probably missing out on percentage. We will win one final but are unlikely to go beyond that.
I'm hoping to look back on this post come September to eat a very large humble pie!

1eyedog
22-06-2016, 01:32 PM

If we don't want Tom Boyd rucking but want him in the team then we have to or else we need to drop Roughie.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2016, 04:29 PM

Bevo has made crazier calls. Hasn't he?
Capable of winning a lot of ball.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-06-2016, 04:55 PM
I think the time is ripe to bring Tom Boyd into the side and KEEP HIM THERE for the rest of the season. We need to get games into him - tihat's the big picture. He was recruited for a reason - a power forward is an essential component of a flag winning team. Tom Boyd needs to be playing at the highest level and we need him kicking goals, crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground. I have my eyes firmly set on 2017. We have done very well to date, despite being decimated by injury and the absence of Crameri who is a major cog in our forward set up. We are unlikely to finish top 4, probably missing out on percentage. We will win one final but are unlikely to go beyond that.
I'm hoping to look back on this post come September to eat a very large humble pie!

It makes a lot of sense to now play Boyd forward and use him to support Campbell in the ruck. Redpath is more of a leading forward and we do lack a tall marking forward. This would allow Roughy to add extra height down back where we struggled against teams like North and Geelong. There has been too much invested in Boyd to leave him playing VFL Football against weaker opposition. Given the prolonged run of injuries to good players and the loss of Murphy and Crameri, I would be happy to finish top 8 again, which is probably where we are likely to finish. Adams and Suckling have been good additions but do not outweigh the losses.

azabob
23-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Bevo has made crazier calls. Hasn't he?
Capable of winning a lot of ball.

Bringing in Webb to play back defeats the purpose of playing him as a midfielder all year.

GVGjr
23-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Bringing in Webb to play back defeats the purpose of playing him as a midfielder all year.Webb mentioned that Bevo had talked to him about the reasons why he wasn't in the mix to be selected as a defender and the short answer is Bevo wants him to work on his midfield craft.

Drafted after a good season as a forward who moved into the midfield, we then announced on draft night that Webb would be a defender. 12 months later after an encouraging debut season as a defender he was told he needed to become an insider midfielder who can use the ball well.
We expect a lot of our boys to be very versatile don't we?

Eastdog
23-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Bringing in Webb to play back defeats the purpose of playing him as a midfielder all year.

Agree with posters in that we need to get games into Tom Boyd. Having him in there would certainly help our forward structure. Stringer is very good but needs to be consistently more effective all game. Dickson is important. Can Red and Boydy play in the same team together that is the question?

Webb is certainly a player aza that I want to see get a go and see what he can provide.

Lin Jong I thought was not bad by any means last Saturday and was one of our better players. Took a mark inside 50 and got a goal.

azabob
23-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Webb mentioned that Bevo had talked to him about the reasons why he wasn't in the mix to be selected as a defender and the short answer is Bevo wants him to work on his midfield craft.

Drafted after a good season as a forward who moved into the midfield, we then announced on draft night that Webb would be a defender. 12 months later after an encouraging debut season as a defender he was told he needed to become an insider midfielder who can use the ball well.
We expect a lot of our boys to be very versatile don't we?

We certainly do and Webbs head must be spinning! I must admit I do like the idea of Webb being a midfielder as he seems to be one of our better kicks out of the current midfield group.

I hope he gets reward for effort soon.

GVGjr
23-06-2016, 10:48 PM
We certainly do and Webbs head must be spinning! I must admit I do like the idea of Webb being a midfielder as he seems to be one of our better kicks out of the current midfield group.

I hope he gets reward for effort soon.

He mentioned there was a few things the club wanted him to work on but as you pointed out the club thinks his kicking skills might benefit the side in the longer term.

I think he should be in the mix to play the Swans

Ghost Dog
24-06-2016, 01:57 AM

Biggs to star in the midfield against his old side. Watch it happen.

Remi Moses
24-06-2016, 02:25 AM
Biggs has played well in the back half. Why move him into the middle ?

bornadog
24-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Biggs has played well in the back half. Why move him into the middle ?

Don't worry won't happen

1eyedog
24-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Don't worry won't happen

He's not suited to the middle, especially against Sydney.

always right
24-06-2016, 08:54 PM
No reason why having Webb spend so much time in the midfield won't make him a better defender. It's all about making him a better all round player.

Ozza
27-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Early forecast for Saturday - is that the weather should be good. Will be interesting to see if the good conditions and small ground see us go in with a tall line-up (ie. T.Boyd in).

Templeton31
27-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Sorry I dropped out of the discussion - been away for work and mega busy.

I actually said in my report after the first preseason game in Canberra that we couldn't play all 4 of Roughy, Campbell, Boyd and Redpath in same team so I answered the question then I guess!!! ::D

However I guess what I mean is it would need to change structure of forward line to do it. I think we can do it. Would have Roughy Boyd and Red rotating through CHF as lead up guy on wing/HB line, Red Campbell and Boyd rotating through Full forward lead and contest deep entries and Roughy and Campbell rotating in ruck (with big Tom to go in if we were getting flogged). I think this set up will bring HC, Dickson, Dunkley (if he plays) and Jake more into the play as opposition defenders try to defend the big blokes and there is more space for the medium guys. Also crumbing packs.

I don't think Roberts is part of the decision as he is deep defender. Did anyone see Fletch averages 7th most spoils per game in the league? It was in a stats article on afl.com Additionally I don't think Roughy has been training as defender so doesn't know how to fit in to the patterns back there as much any more. Also, this week, Buddy would be way too fast for him. He's probably too fast for Roberts as well but thats more about Buddy being a brilliant player than any of our deficiencies.

I wouldn't consider dropping Adams.

The Pie Man
28-06-2016, 05:13 PM
So from Bevo's presser today, Wood is a definite, JJ is a maybe and T Boyd is 'close'

It might be as simple as Wood in for Dunkley at this stage. If Boyd came in, you'd be looking at Honeychurch at a guess.

Throwing JJ straight in must be tempting.....

bulldogsthru&thru
28-06-2016, 05:14 PM
So from Bevo's presser today, Wood is a definite, JJ is a maybe and T Boyd is 'close'

It might be as simple as Wood in for Dunkley at this stage. If Boyd came in, you'd be looking at Honeychurch at a guess.

Throwing JJ straight in must be tempting.....

Any word on Stevens? Hopefully JJ plays VFL this week with the view to get him in for Richmond

bornadog
28-06-2016, 06:02 PM
From Presser:

* Easton will be ready to come in this week, he should come straight in.

* JJ has done everything possible during his rehab. He's a chance to come straight in but we haven't made any decisions.

* Tom Boyd is close, he had a good game in the most recent VFL game. We've got to make sure he's 100% though.

* Will (Minson) is another one in consideration this week.

Any word on Stevens? Hopefully JJ plays VFL this week with the view to get him in for Richmond

Not mentioned but injury report says he is ready to play

LostDoggy
28-06-2016, 06:06 PM
From Presser:

* Easton will be ready to come in this week, he should come straight in.

* JJ has done everything possible during his rehab. He's a chance to come straight in but we haven't made any decisions.

* Tom Boyd is close, he had a good game in the most recent VFL game. We've got to make sure he's 100% though.

* Will (Minson) is another one in consideration this week.

Do you think Clay might be a chance to come in this week BAD?
Especially against Sydney mids with Dahl still out given Clay's penache for contested ball animility?

bornadog
28-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Do you think Clay might be a chance to come in this week BAD?
Especially against Sydney mids with Dahl still out given Clay's penache for contested ball animility?

Gut feel is no. I think Stevens would come in before Clay.

bornadog
28-06-2016, 07:24 PM
IN Minson - looks like he is set to come in.

azabob
28-06-2016, 07:33 PM

Who do you think is set to be dropped?

Hotdog60
28-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Maybe Roughy, I worry about his durability.

Remi Moses
28-06-2016, 10:47 PM
How could they possibly bring in will?
The team balance would be seriously askew

Rocco Jones
29-06-2016, 12:47 AM
How could they possibly bring in will?
The team balance would be seriously askew

I think it would mean Campbell out.

I have a feeling Beveridge sees it as two ruck combos. Campbell/Roughy sharing ruck duties vs Minson with Tom Boyd offering ruck relief.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2016, 01:05 AM
Actually I somewhat retract that after reading Bevo's comments about Will. Seems like he thinks he can pinch hit forward. Still think he is best suited to playing alongside Tom Boyd.

bornadog
29-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Actually I somewhat retract that after reading Bevo's comments about Will. Seems like he thinks he can pinch hit forward. Still think he is best suited to playing alongside Tom Boyd.

He said in his presser that all (Campbell, Roughie and Will) must have the ability to play ruck/Forward except Redpath who he says is a pure forward with Boyd more a forward and pinch hitting in the ruck.

Ozza
29-06-2016, 10:04 AM
What was said in the press conference, basically ruled out Tom Boyd for this week. Bevo saying 'we have to make sure Tom's 100% with his shoulder', and then saying Will was in the mix - I read as Boyd being no chance.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm predicting...

In- Minson, Wood, JJ
Out- Campbell, Roberts, Dunkley

The Pie Man
29-06-2016, 11:08 AM
I would've thought Camhead has some credits in the bank despite not impressing against Geelong - though it was interesting hearing Bevo put T Boyd & Minson in the same camp as Campbell & Roughy.

If those 4 are vying for two spots every week in Bevo's mind, I'd imagine T Boyd would be first picked if fully fit*

* I'd also guess not all would agree with me on that

comrade
29-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Hate questioning the chief but bringing in Minson doesn't seem like the answer. He's a ruckman that can only ruck. Doesn't mark the ball around the ground, doesn't run his opponent off his feet, isn't dangerous up forward.

He is a position specific player and his lack of versatility is anti-Bevo.

Not sure what sort of net gain his inclusion gives us?

G-Mo77
29-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Hate questioning the chief but bringing in Minson doesn't seem like the answer. He's a ruckman that can only ruck. Doesn't mark the ball around the ground, doesn't run his opponent off his feet, isn't dangerous up forward.

Maybe someone else is underdone.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-06-2016, 01:34 PM

Willpower.

LostDoggy
29-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Or maybe Bevo's mention of Minsons is a combination of keeping him motivated and making Camhead look over their shoulder.

F'scary
29-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Big Will could ruck all game at the SCG.

Templeton31
29-06-2016, 03:05 PM
In: Boyinson
Out: Camhead?

bornadog
29-06-2016, 03:39 PM
In: Boyinson
Out: Camhead?

Wood is a definite starter.

The Underdog
29-06-2016, 05:11 PM

He's always been pretty good for a stupid free kick against...
Agree, he's behind Campbell, Roughy and Boyd from my view.

Ghost Dog
29-06-2016, 06:56 PM
He's always been pretty good for a stupid free kick against...
Agree, he's behind Campbell, Roughy and Boyd from my view.

You mock the Wilburbeast? You have to starve him of opportunity for a bit, then unleash him and he will hulk out.

Oh they have this new show, Game of Thrones. It's really good and you should all definitely CHECK.... IT....OUT.
They have these men of mayhem, called wildlings ( freaky! )
There is this dude, John Snow. He's just like Bevo, well....similar.
And he has this big giant called Wun Wun. That's definitely Will Minson.
Bevo is a student of accurate history, so I am guessing he really swats up on Game of Thrones for his match day strategy. Yeah, I bet.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Bevo reminds me of Tyrian Lannister

hujsh
29-06-2016, 08:05 PM
You mock the Wilburbeast? You have to starve him of opportunity for a bit, then unleash him and he will hulk out.

Oh they have this new show, Game of Thrones. It's really good and you should all definitely CHECK.... IT....OUT.
Bevo is a student of accurate history, so I am guessing he really swats up on Game of Thrones for his match day strategy. Yeah, I bet.
Wouldn't it just be easier to compare him to the Mountain?

comrade
29-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Well, I've somehow worked out a way to go this game...

First time at the SCG. Let's hope this year's game is as good as last years!

Templeton31
29-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Wood is a definite starter.

I was more focussed on some sort of Minoyd nickname rather than contributing constructively..... Mined? Binson? Willoyd?

LostDoggy
29-06-2016, 10:53 PM
I was more focussed on some sort of Minoyd nickname rather than contributing constructively..... Mined? Binson? Willoyd?

Thomas Woodson

jeemak
30-06-2016, 12:57 AM
In - Wood
Out - Dunkley

If JJ does come in then I'll take Jong out of the equation. Honeychurch was too good (almost BOG) two weeks ago against Port not to have another week in the bank.

If Minson comes in then I'll pretty much give up on things (injury clouds aside).

stefoid
30-06-2016, 11:09 AM

here is my game of thrones phantom draft from 13. Can you pick the players? I almost got it right (going on the Age phantom from the day before the draft) https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/game-of-thrones-phantom-draft.1041829/

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 12:51 PM
I think Bevo just likes to keep certain players motivated , and I'm not sure Minson comes in

Templeton31
30-06-2016, 03:26 PM
I think I'll stop pushing the Tom Boyd in this week line. Got a feeling it won't happen....:D

Bulldog4life
30-06-2016, 03:33 PM
I think I'll stop pushing the Tom Boyd in this week line. Got a feeling it won't happen....:D
Poor Bevo kept having to tell reporters that Boyd wasn't playing because we were not confident of his shoulder standing up.

comrade
30-06-2016, 07:27 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: E.Wood, J.Johannisen, W.Minson, C.Smith, L.Webb
Out: T.Campbell, F.Roberts, J.Dunkley, M.Honeychurch, B.Williams (knee)

ledge
30-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Clay . Minson wood johannison Webb all ins
Outs honeychurch Williams Campbell Roberts and Dunkley

ledge
30-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Over the moon to see Clay in !

Templeton31
30-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Great to see Big Will get a run. Deserves it.

comrade
30-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Our ins are way better than our outs.

Strongest team in a while. Really only lacking Dahl and a fit Stevens.

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Some big ins there. Will be interesting to see how Minson goes. Good luck to him

F'scary
30-06-2016, 07:36 PM
What is this Bailey Williams out with a knee injury story?

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Great to see JJ named.

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 07:37 PM
What is this Bailey Williams out with a knee injury story?

First I've heard of it.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-06-2016, 07:38 PM
General soreness?

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Honey church a bit stiff. Hope he's back in soon.

comrade
30-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Anyone concerned that we'll have Wood, JJ and Smith all relatively underdone?

F'scary
30-06-2016, 07:44 PM

A little, but they are all top line players. Hard to leave them out after the Geelong game fiasco.

LostDoggy
30-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Wow...Didn't see that coming.

Minson spending time forward still really scares me.

dadsgirl16
30-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Bailey Williams knee??

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Wow...Didn't see that coming.

I think you'll find he'll ruck most of the game.

Very exciting and ballsy changes. Welcome back Clay and of course Big Will. Big congrats to Webb on fighting and winning his spot back.

1eyedog
30-06-2016, 07:50 PM

Yeah it's the first thing I thought when I looked at the ins. I'm not concerned about Wood but JJ and Clay in are big surprises. I suspect JJ has been right for a while while Clay obviously pulled up well.

whythelongface
30-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Has Campbell been omitted due to form? or is he carrying an injury?

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 07:59 PM

Smaller ground might ease the concern a bit. Their varied talents outweighs the risks I think.

Ozza
30-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Has Campbell been omitted due to form? or is he carrying an injury?

Omitted. All outs were omitted, apart from Bailey Williams listed as 'knee'.

We hadn't heard anything about Bailey Williams having an injury - so I will assume he will miss 10 weeks.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Minson Webb and Clay Smith have been rewarded for good performances in the VFL and have been given the opportunity to consolidate their place in the team. Wood and JJ are clearly in our best line up. Our rucks were poor against the Cats and hence Campbell's omission.The return of Wood has caused Roberts to be dropped. I sense that Bevo has been disappointed with our recent efforts against Collingwood and Geelong and by making 5 changes is demanding a big improvement. Time will tell if we are good enough with a question mark still hovering over whether our attack is good enough and also if we have enough pace and class in the midfield.

hujsh
30-06-2016, 09:02 PM

I think you'll find he'll ruck most of the game.

Then Roughead playing forward scares me.

Suprised that Minson's in for Soup, that JJ is straight back in, that Webb is in (because I'd given up on the prospect) and that Honey and Fletch are omitted.

So a normal Thursday.

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Bit harsh on Tom Campbell, but I guess you need to perform at your best every week .
Bit surprised JJ didn't get a run at Footscray, and glad to see Easton back .
Wonderful performance from Clay Smith, just pure grit . Fingers, toes crossed for the lad
Sadly the intense negativity in the afl media precludes this story from being reported as it should be

bornadog
30-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Sorry to quote myself.

Gut feel is no. I think Stevens would come in before Clay.

I was wrong here

A tweet from Shane Delia gave it away.

Mofra
30-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Perplexed by these selections - Webb finally gets his shot, but only one tall backman?
Is Clay and JJ and Wood all going to be ready as the same time, in a team that has had a week off so most players will take a little bit to get touch back which has happened to many players coming off the bye?

Minson playing significant time forward?

comrade
30-06-2016, 11:26 PM
In terms of height, who do we need to worry about in the Sydney forward line?

Buddy and ?

I am worried about JJ and Wood getting through unscathed.

Rocket Science
01-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Remember the kind of footy JJ was piecing together before he went down?

If he can get back there, we're infinitely more formidable to defend against. Suspect the club feels the same way hence their conservatism with him.

Also remarkable that Clay's battled his way back to this juncture *again*. Any contribution he makes is fuel for our fire.

Critical game.

Axe Man
01-07-2016, 12:44 AM
In terms of height, who do we need to worry about in the Sydney forward line?

Buddy and ?

I am worried about JJ and Wood getting through unscathed.

Their resting ruckman Sinclair or Nankervis. So nothing much to worry about.

ratsmac
01-07-2016, 01:59 AM
Just when you think that you have figured out the way Bevo selects a team, he brings in Minson who I thought was not in Bevo's plans, Webb who couldn't get a game with multiple BOG at Footscray, Clay Smith who I thought might play a solid month in the 2nds before testing his knee at AFL level and JJ who hasn't played since round 4.

I love the look of this team on paper, I just hope we aren't a little under done.

I'm really happy to see Minson get another crack at it as well. He has gone back and played at Footscray and waited patiently for his time to come again. Good luck to the big man.

F'scary
01-07-2016, 02:07 AM
If Minson can ruck all game, Roughead could line up on Franklin. Jong to the bench.

Bulldog Joe
01-07-2016, 07:01 AM
If Minson can ruck all game, Roughead could line up on Franklin. Jong to the bench.

While we can say that nothing really surprises, I will be absolutely amazed if Roughead lines up on Franklin.

Franklin's biggest asset is his mobility and Roughy just would not be suited in my view.

The team defence is the mantra for Buddy with Adams and Morris having the prime responsibility. We would be expecting that Wood can do some of his intercept work to prevent the ball getting to Buddy in dangerous positions.

1eyedog
01-07-2016, 08:29 AM
While we can say that nothing really surprises, I will be absolutely amazed if Roughead lines up on Franklin.

Franklin's biggest asset is his mobility and Roughy just would not be suited in my view.

The team defence is the mantra for Buddy with Adams and Morris having the prime responsibility. We would be expecting that Wood can do some of his intercept work to prevent the ball getting to Buddy in dangerous positions.

Agreed. Roughie in the team is interesting. I would have thought that Campbell's ruck work is superior and his hands are more useful up forward.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Agreed. Roughie in the team is interesting. I would have thought that Campbell's ruck work is superior and his hands are more useful up forward.

I think Roughie is seen better at playing around the ground. Last week, I thought Campbell was poor around the ground, not taking one contested mark for the game. We can argue Minson doesn't do much around the ground either, but now he gets his chance so he needs to play really well.

Cyberdoggie
01-07-2016, 01:00 PM

I don't think we play that way where we need a specific match up anymore. It's about the grid defence and having a 2 on 1 at minimum when the ball goes to that area. Our defenders don't rely on their height, but their ability to spoil and cover their teammates. Being mobile is more important so you can move from your grid spot to where the ball is.

Roughead got found out too often and exposed for his lack of pace and that doesn't work with this style of defence.

Our tallest defender is probably Adams and he stands at 193cm.
We have one of the best defences in the comp this year, and none of the key forwards in the game have kicked a bag against us.
Hawkins 4 goals doesn't count, as most of them were in junk time and were dolly passes over the top to Hawkins 2 metres out.

Our main worry is our ability to move the ball quickly enough from defence. After Bob and JJ went down we have struggled to kick goals because of our inability to break lines and take the game on.
Hoping that will change now we have Wood and JJ back. Expecting Biggs's game to start to improving again.

Fingers crossed for Clay. If something bad happens again for that kid it would be a disaster, not only for him but for the whole side emotionally.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-07-2016, 01:40 PM
That's how I see it too Cyberdoggie. Amazing that our defence is one of the best with a first yearer who's only 193cm being our tallest. The elite kicking of Bob out of half back coupled with the elite run of JJ out of half back is what has impacted on our forwards' ablity to kick good scores. They broke the lines or the grid of oppositions' defence in a way we haven't been able to replace. Hopefully Wood and JJ can against the Swans. Our midfield should have extra sting after the bye and with the importance of this game and with Clay Smith as added arsenal. Big Will wil fight like a Titan.
If we win it's a bonus.

The Pie Man
01-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Honeychurch & Williams stiff, but I can't argue with Webb & Smith getting an opportunity (any news on this supposed 'knee' with Bailey?)

Minson tends to fire first up (think GWS & Elimination Final last year) so I'll be expecting a fair game from him.

Roberts out kinda makes sense - Adams should get first crack at Bud, but Morris & Wood will be there as backups. Rough even provides that flexibility (not for Franklin specifically - just backline cover)

Hope they know what they're doing with JJ & Smith - but on paper, it's a good side.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Honeychurch & Williams stiff, but I can't argue with Webb & Smith getting an opportunity (any news on this supposed 'knee' with Bailey?)

Minson tends to fire first up (think GWS & Elimination Final last year) so I'll be expecting a fair game from him.

Roberts out kinda makes sense - Adams should get first crack at Bud, but Morris & Wood will be there as backups. Rough even provides that flexibility (not for Franklin specifically - just backline cover)

Hope they know what they're doing with JJ & Smith - but on paper, it's a good side.

Webb has been groomed to play as an inside mid with a left foot weapon. He has been playing very well at VFL level, so I think he deserves a go.

Axe Man
01-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Webb has been groomed to play as an inside mid with a left foot weapon. He has been playing very well at VFL level, so I think he deserves a go.

Seems like we are going to try and beat Sydney at their own game (ie the inside contested midfield battle) with the addition of Webb and Smith. Win or at least breakeven there and we should be in with a good chance.

Bulldog Joe
01-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Seems like we are going to try and beat Sydney at their own game (ie the inside contested midfield battle) with the addition of Webb and Smith. Win or at least breakeven there and we should be in with a good chance.

Agreed.

We seem to have loaded up so that we have much better numbers to rotate.

hujsh
01-07-2016, 03:20 PM
I don't think we play that way where we need a specific match up anymore. It's about the grid defence and having a 2 on 1 at minimum when the ball goes to that area. Our defenders don't rely on their height, but their ability to spoil and cover their teammates. Being mobile is more important so you can move from your grid spot to where the ball is.

Roughead got found out too often and exposed for his lack of pace and that doesn't work with this style of defence.

Our tallest defender is probably Adams and he stands at 193cm.
We have one of the best defences in the comp this year, and none of the key forwards in the game have kicked a bag against us.
Hawkins 4 goals doesn't count, as most of them were in junk time and were dolly passes over the top to Hawkins 2 metres out.

Our main worry is our ability to move the ball quickly enough from defence. After Bob and JJ went down we have struggled to kick goals because of our inability to break lines and take the game on.
Hoping that will change now we have Wood and JJ back. Expecting Biggs's game to start to improving again.

Fingers crossed for Clay. If something bad happens again for that kid it would be a disaster, not only for him but for the whole side emotionally.

Adelaide Jenkins?

The Pie Man
01-07-2016, 04:35 PM

Absolutely - I'm a big fan

Ozza
01-07-2016, 04:37 PM

Williams is listed as a 'knee' - so his is likely a forced change.
Agree that Honeychurch could be considered stiff to get dropped, given he had a good game v Port. Unfortunately I feel Honeychurch will have less credits in the bank to stay in the side than others, he just falls short of the mark of being a best 22 AFL player.

G-Mo77
01-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Adelaide Jenkins?

Joe The Goose

jeemak
01-07-2016, 10:32 PM
I'm a little disappointed for HC, but all he can do I guess is put in another good VFL performance and await his next chance.

The feeling I have is Minson's inclusion is designed to mix things up and shoot a warning shot across Campbell's bow to make him understand his best effort needs to be brought to the table each week. He'll be back in soon enough, and if Roughead isn't careful it will be at his expense.

Super happy for Clay, can't wait for him to get through the game and build on it.

I'm a bit edgy about JJ coming back without a run in the twos. Having done a number of hamstrings in game situations after training OK, I know that simulating the mindless intensity of a game of football on the track is impossible. Maybe the pros can hold themselves back a little.