PDA

View Full Version : Brexit

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Time for Brisbane to exit Justin Leppisch. Things are simply not getting better in the time he's had, and I'm not sure there's much of a gameplan nor any signs of playing for the coach or having a serious dip. With another year of this so far in 2016 either Brisbane make this Brexit call on Leppitsch early and try to sell a new and better future to their high picked players or they'll be another Brexodous of players and they'll never get out of this cycle much like Melbourne getting many high picks over many years but still made no real improvement. However, if talented and uninspired player wants to trade or migrate to us on the cheap, that's ok too. But surely enough is enough for the Brisbane board, and the AFEL.

Bulldog Joe
25-06-2016, 06:05 PM
There certainly needs to be something done.

The coach is certainly not getting anything from the playing group, but my concern for them is if there is a deeper malaise from the club administration as well.

Brisbane seem to need the type of receiver/manager status imposed on Melbourne that brought in Peter Jackson to turn the admin around.

Remi Moses
25-06-2016, 08:13 PM
The worrying thing is that the senior players look disinterested
Pierce Handley on the mark summed it up for me
Leppitsch just might be another great player and awful coach

jeemak
25-06-2016, 08:20 PM
There certainly needs to be something done.

The coach is certainly not getting anything from the playing group, but my concern for them is if there is a deeper malaise from the club administration as well.

Brisbane seem to need the type of receiver/manager status imposed on Melbourne that brought in Peter Jackson to turn the admin around.

Isn't that what Greg 'Swanny' Swann was supposed to be anyway?

I say they need to hand over more influence to Leigh Matthews. His 'never explain, never complain' attitude is definitely what's required in this era.

Seriously though, they need a higher salary cap than the teams within traditional football states (as do GWS, GC and Sydney), but it needs to be used as an incentive structure for keeping players post contract term rather than straight line across all contract years, and only attainable after an extension has been agreed.

SquirrelGrip
25-06-2016, 08:26 PM
However, if talented and uninspired player wants to trade or migrate to us on the cheap, that's ok too.

Daniel Rich anyone?

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Daniel Rich anyone?

Apparently signed a long extension earlier this year. But I'd have him in a heart beat, and even offer Adcock back to seal the deal.

jeemak
25-06-2016, 08:41 PM
I like Rich.

Here's a comparison that might turn a few woofers away:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=20&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=3113&pid2=439&fid1=O&fid2=O

:)

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 08:45 PM
I like Rich.

Here's a comparison that might turn a few woofers away:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=20&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=3113&pid2=439&fid1=O&fid2=O

:)

So you're saying Rich is also a gun. Point well made.

jeemak
25-06-2016, 09:12 PM
So you're saying Rich is also a gun. Point well made.

I watch him and see a lot of Eagleton in his output. Put a gun stopper on him and he's left wanting. Put him in a team with plenty of guns around him and he's the cream.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 09:19 PM
I watch him and see a lot of Eagleton in his output. Put a gun stopper on him and he's left wanting. Put him in a team with plenty of guns around him and he's the cream.

As you probably remember in his draft year, he and Steve Hill as WA boys were compared about who went first and who would be better and it was all about Rich early. If both were on the market for us to trade for this year, I'd be (& am) into Hill first, leaving aside Rich is going nowhere.

jeemak
25-06-2016, 10:59 PM
I'd take Hill in a heartbeat. I'd be as happy as Larry to get Rich as well, but not willing to pay his $600K tag.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2016, 11:02 PM
I'd take Hill in a heartbeat. I'd be as happy as Larry to get Rich as well, but not willing to pay his $600K tag.

If we wind up with say pick 11 or 12, I wonder if both clubs would look at it.

jeemak
26-06-2016, 12:59 AM
If we wind up with say pick 11 or 12, I wonder if both clubs would look at it.

Give me their second and Rich, and I'd hand over our first....... and second given they will be around the 14-18 and 32-36 mark respectively.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Give me their second and Rich, and I'd hand over our first....... and second given they will be around the 14-18 and 32-36 mark respectively.

Sorry, I meant Hill.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Channel 7 reporting a player exodus from Brisbane could be the biggest this year. Mark Evans leading an AFL intervention to work out what's going on with every aspect of Brisbane. Apparently, the AFL have run out patience. Time to strike on McStay and anyone else we want. Lewis Taylor too, he's worth the $500,000 he wants right?

azabob
10-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Channel 7 reporting a player exodus from Brisbane could be the biggest this year. Mark Evans leading an AFL intervention to work out what's going on with every aspect of Brisbane. Apparently, the AFL have run out patience. Time to strike on McStay and anyone else we want. Lewis Taylor too, he's worth the $500,000 he wants right?

Channel 7 forgot to mention that Mark Evans also spoke to Gold Coast Suns.

Has nothing to do with the supposed player exodus or crisis.

Just on Lewis Taylor he is lucky to be on an AFL list let alone commanding $500K per year.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Channel 7 forgot to mention that Mark Evans also spoke to Gold Coast Suns.

Has nothing to do with the supposed player exodus or crisis.

Just on Lewis Taylor he is lucky to be on an AFL list let alone commanding $500K per year.

Surely we can be a national competition without teams being actually situated in Queensland. Tassie, NT & ACT get about a dozen games a year without permanent teams. Give Tasmania a team, they've proven themselves in selling out almost every game and find an 18th team. I'm sure a few clubs would be interested in selling a few games to the GABBA if there needs to be games up there. Soccer Australia & the NRL have admitted defeat up there with teams, why keep dead clubs on life support?

jeemak
10-07-2016, 03:28 PM
The prospect of GWS winning it next year, alongside Brisbane and GCS being propped up by City Hall to a greater extent than ever is just what the game needs to really turn fans away.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Adcock would still be a top 10 player in that side, and probably their hardest worker. If the reports of the biggest exodus of Brisbane players are true I hope we are ready to pounce on one or two of the decent ones they have.

Twodogs
17-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Adcock would still be a top 10 player in that side, and probably their hardest worker. If the reports of the biggest exodus of Brisbane players are true I hope we are ready to pounce on one or two of the decent ones they have.

That is your decision to make BT. Name the player you want and the administration will do their part. In the past they have traded the captain (I'm having trouble with his name) away to make it happen.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2016, 07:14 PM
That is your decision to make BT. Name the player you want and the administration will do their part. In the past they have traded the captain (I'm having trouble with his name) away to make it happen.

Problem is the decent ones, leaving salary aside, have signed extensions passed this year. McStay interests me if he demands a trade, but they don't have to play ball. I think they're going to be a car crash again in 6 completed games time, and I won't be able to turn away from watching it.

Twodogs
18-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Problem is the decent ones, leaving salary aside, have signed extensions passed this year. McStay interests me if he demands a trade, but they don't have to play ball. I think they're going to be a car crash again in 6 completed games time, and I won't be able to turn away from watching it.

They're in bad shape. Leppitsch is spending more time arguing with the media than talking about the game, Matthews seems out of his depth doing whatever it is he is doing, the captain wants out so why should anyone else hang about.

westdog54
18-07-2016, 11:51 PM
I feel for the old Fitzroy supporters here.

The current Brisbane club don't deserve to have that lion on their chest.

They need to realise that the three-peat is now history.

They need a management clean out.

The AFL needs to intervene if Brisbane are to be competitive in years to come.

No one's interests are served by having Brisbane fold.

comrade
18-07-2016, 11:56 PM
The problem with Brisbane is that they will need expansion like concessions to prop them up...after we've had 6 years of the stupid bull****.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2016, 12:06 AM
The problem with Brisbane is that they will need expansion like concessions to prop them up...after we've had 6 years of the stupid bull****.

Yep, and if they do they'll win premierships and then on our next bottom out we (and every other club) should extend our time south and get premierships handed on a platter. If we can turn shit around quickly with good management and recruiting/trading, then they should too. Take out the three peat, and they've been a basket case either side. Maybe they're just a poor club in an NRL town.

Twodogs
19-07-2016, 01:45 PM

They need top end ready to go talent too. The playing list would badly fail the no dickheads policy from the top.

comrade
19-07-2016, 02:20 PM
They need top end ready to go talent too. The playing list would badly fail the no dickheads policy from the top.

No current top end players are going there without being paid mega bucks. Their best bet is to go the GWS route, get handed endless high draft picks and hope they kids bond and develop together.

I don't think it'll happen as the expansion teams were seen as a necessary evil and clubs have definitely realised they were way too lenient in allowing so many concessions.

If it does happen, I'd almost give up on watching AFL and probably stick to going to following around Footscray.

bornadog
19-07-2016, 03:21 PM
No current top end players are going there without being paid mega bucks. Their best bet is to go the GWS route, get handed endless high draft picks and hope they kids bond and develop together.

I don't think it'll happen as the expansion teams were seen as a necessary evil and clubs have definitely realised they were way too lenient in allowing so many concessions.

If it does happen, I'd almost give up on watching AFL and probably stick to going to following around Footscray.

Agree.

Stuff them, what else do they want? They merge with Fitzroy, win three premierships and then stuff up ever since. Too bad, no concessions, give them nothing.

We have never had any help from the AFL - I want a premiership and I am not willing to agree to give them access to top players.

Twodogs
19-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Love the Footscray experience. I couldn't go on Sunday. I'm spewing I missed that finish.

But back to Brissy I can't see them going anywhere with this set up. Lethal as the club Buddha isn't really working. It's going to take more than a sage nod and a "everything'll be OK." to sort these problems out. I can't speak for the kids they have drafted in the last couple of years but the leadership group seems pretty toxic. They say since Redan went there us no one to keep Rockliff in line and that he and Clarke (I think it's Clarke) set a fairly bad example with a lack of professionalism standards and lack of preparation.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 11:09 PM
The players have no spirit, the talk of an exodus iget be right and surely Leppa gets sacked.

westdog54
06-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Can't be kept on, surely.

The club needs a massive cleanout. Ground-up rebuild.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Can't be kept on, surely.

The club needs a massive cleanout. Ground-up rebuild.

Time to pick through their list to see if there's some kids wanting the exact opposite culture and environment for 2017 and beyond.

Twodogs
06-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Jesus it's getting ugly. The ghost of the last days of Fitzroy lives on.

I'm still glad we don't play them again though.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Jesus it's getting ugly. The ghost of the last days of Fitzroy lives on.

I'm still glad we don't play them again though.

I thought they were still 1/2 Fitzroy? FFA & NRL have cut their losses in parts of Queensland...

Bring in Tassie, take the millions from Hawthorn & North and the Tassie academy off North. Then we are all winners.

GVGjr
06-08-2016, 11:57 PM
Should we make another play for Stefan Martin?

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Should we make another play for Stefan Martin?

Depending on his asking price $$. He's a very good player. I hope we are ruthlessly going through their list looking for talented players. Last time teams did well getting Yeo, Docherty & Polec cheap. Aish last year too.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Picking through their list there's a few players:

Stephan Martin - But 30yo in November.
Pearce Hanley - Would cost a heap in trade and $$
Sam Mayes - Do we need his sort?
Daniel McStay - Life long friend of Tom Boyd, but Brisbane have stuffed his development.
Jonathan Freeman - Tall forward, rough maybe.
Eric Hipwood - No chance.
Josh Schache - No chance.
Daniel Rich - Couldn't afford him.

jeemak
07-08-2016, 02:40 PM
He's a broken man:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/justin-leppitsch-brisbane-lions-given-nothing-as-a-footy-club-20160807-gqmu8j.html

This sounds like the entitled dross only former players and coaches from golden eras can dream up thanks to their incredibly short memories.

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Saw him on the footy show this morning. Stick a fork in his arse, he's cooked. They made the point that the things he's talking about are not his concern. He hardly touched on the actual game or his team at all in that rant.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 03:49 PM
He's a broken man:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/justin-leppitsch-brisbane-lions-given-nothing-as-a-footy-club-20160807-gqmu8j.html

This sounds like the entitled dross only former players and coaches from golden eras can dream up thanks to their incredibly short memories.

Not given a thing. Not even a cap benefit, an academy, Jono Brown for a third rounder or handed three premierships in a row. Not given anything. Poor them.

Ghost Dog
07-08-2016, 04:27 PM
If the AFL wants two clubs in a area hostile to the code they have to support them both. Continued support.
There are a lot of things Victorian clubs get by virtue of being in an area where the code is number 1.
Better membership, media profile, endorsement opportunities, sponsorship opportunities.

I think GC is a better place to have a club in QLD with the number of Victorians up there. Not sure if Brisbane is sustainable.

Leppa is pretty raw at the moment, and might take a few things he says with a grain of salt.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 05:44 PM
If the Lions can manage to lose by 23 points or more, they get pick 1! And will ask for a priority pick at 2. Essendon have done them a solid.

On the Brisbane (players) Exit, how long until the first real/actual trade request comes to light in the media? I'm going with Tuesday.

boydogs
28-08-2016, 01:27 PM
If the Lions can manage to lose by 23 points or more, they get pick 1!

23 points is if they don't score, the 61% then applies where they must score less than 61% of what the Saints do after the first 23 points

Twodogs
28-08-2016, 01:40 PM
23 points is if they don't score, the 61% then applies where they must score less than 61% of what the Saints do after the first 23 points

Right. So Brisbane need to lose by a bit less than 2/3rds of St Kilda's score?

boydogs
28-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Right. So Brisbane need to lose by a bit less than 2/3rds of St Kilda's score?

If they want pick 1, they need to score a bit less than 2/3rds of St Kilda's score, not lose by a bit less. But it's a fair bit less, because they need to give them a 23 point head start then score less than 61% of their score from there

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Brisbane on the bottom of the ladder by one point. Cmon keep pick one and deny Essendon!!

Ozza
28-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Only Brisbane would do enough to not get pick one. Seriously, they just had to turn the toes up for the last 10 or 15 minutes. Why would they kick 6 goals in the last quarter!! What a disaster. Only Brisbane.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Only Brisbane would do enough to not get pick one. Seriously, they just had to turn the toes up for the last 10 or 15 minutes. Why would they kick 6 goals in the last quarter!! What a disaster. Only Brisbane.

Mad Sunday.

LostDoggy
28-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Maybe they did it to avoid the wooden spoon and show a little self respect. No.1 in the draft vs No.2 ain't no big thing, maybe Essendon and Brisbane have a different player earmarked anyway. Wooden spoon status goes on the permanent record. I'm glad the cheats didn't avoid that stat they so richly deserve.

bornadog
29-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Leppa - Officially Gone

bulldogtragic
29-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Didn't get past Mad Monday...

Twodogs
29-08-2016, 04:03 PM
That must be a record for the longest a season has gone before a coach has been sacked.

I almost feel sorry for Leppitsch. Not quite though.