PDA

View Full Version : Michael Hurley

Pages : [1] 2 3

1eyedog
26-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Did anyone hear Tony Leonard mention during the Richmond v Lions match that he had discussed Hurley with Connors and Connors had told him that it's a two horse race and that Adelaide and the Bulldogs are leading it. He indicated that the Bulldogs had put forward a 5 year offer!

He also said that the Crows deal is expected to be greater but that Hurley wants to remain in Melbourne where he was born.

In other positive news Essendon will not get a compensation pick for losing him.

Talk is starting to ramp up around Hurley and the Bulldogs I wonder if something isn't already done.

Crameri and Hurley in the team next year will turn us beast mode.

Are you interested? How does he fit in?

GVGjr
26-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Hurley would be a great addition and one that would strengthen our list and certainly weaken Essendon's. Win, Win.

I'd expect him to be our CHB if the speculation he is interested in coming to us is accurate.
Player managers often use their media opportunities to force the hand of clubs to lift their offers so I wouldn't put it past Connor's to be doing the same.

I think there is plenty to play out but I don't mind us being linked to Hurley.

ledge
26-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I love how bombers supporters love their players but as soon as they leave their response is " they were shit anyway. The club didn't want him"
Thats how they reacted when Crameri left.
But amazing how Hird had emergency meetings with Crameri just before he left to try and keep him.
No doubt the same will happen with Hurley.

comrade
26-06-2016, 10:40 AM
This is a power move that would strengthen us massively.

If we secured Hurley without giving up a pick, I'd look at trading our first pick for a gun midfielder or forward to really ramp up for 2017-2018.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 11:14 AM
I said in the rolling delisting thread that this move finishes off the back line I think. We'd have the full CHB AA line of Wood, Hurley, Murphy. Coming as a free agent is a great bonus of keeping picks & players.

FB: Fletch & Collins
CHB: Hurley
3rd tall defender: Morris & Cordy
Tall intercept rebounder defenders: Wood & Adams
Depth: Hamling
Runners: Bob, Boyd, JJ, Biggs, Suckling, etc, etc

Then as Comrade says, target Prestia, Steve Hill and any other smooth users with our first rounder. Get Crameri cherry ripe to improve the forward line. Perhaps trade a player looking for more opportunities (Jong etc) and 2017 second/third rounder to find another talented kid (McStay etc).

2017 Ins: Bob, Crameri, Hurley, Hill/Prestia

Can you imagine the media if we pulled a huge trading season off. A few certain journos heads would explode.

G-Mo77
26-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I can't stand the guy but could grow to like him if he was in our colours.

always right
26-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately Tom Boyd's overly generous contract will preclude us from landing a big fish like Hurley. We simply won't have room in our cap.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately Tom Boyd's overly generous contract will preclude us from landing a big fish like Hurley. We simply won't have room in our cap.

Have to disagree Damien. Minson frees up a heap of cap space. Essendon paid Stew's salary this year apparently so $400,000 has been opened up in our cap, probably why Boyd is on so much this year to allow room ahead. If Matty Boyd retires and we move another 3 players on there's room. Plus the cap will expand over a 5 year period and Bob & Morris will retire over the next 2 years who would be on OK money. I'd suggest there is the room.

anfo27
26-06-2016, 11:56 AM
GET IT DONE JMAC!!!

Seriously need a player of his calibre and would be the player that would take us above the pack. I don't care how you get it done, just get it done.

ratsmac
26-06-2016, 12:05 PM
GET IT DONE JMAC!!!

Seriously need a player of his calibre and would be the player that would take us above the pack. I don't care how you get it done, just get it done.

Maybe he could be an ambassador for Slater & Gordon like Judd was with Visy :p!

F'scary
26-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Before responding to this thread, I am looking up his vital and career stats on Footywire.

F'scary
26-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Just get him!!!

bornadog
26-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Maybe he could be an ambassador for Slater & Gordon like Judd was with Visy :p!

The only was he would be associated with Slaters is as a client :D

On a serious note, love to have him - wow I would back us for a premiership next year. He is the missing link.

Twodogs
26-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Football departments can be brutal when they see a player it really, really wants. We will make room for him.

josie
26-06-2016, 01:40 PM
I remember the excitement off season when we were securing Crameri. Boy oh boy this would be a master stroke. Excited at the thought of it. Found it weird so many bombers re-signed. Hoping Hurley bucks the trend. Any chance we would have to give EFC our first round pick? Hurley may not want to enact the breach of contract, however on other hand we would not want to pay overs. What would it take?

Remi Moses
26-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Just wow ! I've seen clubs pillage us all through my youth this would be amazing

Remi Moses
26-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Have to disagree Damien. Minson frees up a heap of cap space. Essendon paid Stew's salary this year apparently so $400,000 has been opened up in our cap, probably why Boyd is on so much this year to allow room ahead. If Matty Boyd retires and we move another 3 players on there's room. Plus the cap will expand over a 5 year period and Bob & Morris will retire over the next 2 years who would be on OK money. I'd suggest there is the room.

Can't you pay 110% for a period also ?

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Can't you pay 110% for a period also ?

I think there's something about carrying some cap if you've been under.

Weve stockpiled a heap of similar players on the premise that when the time comes we will trade one or two. If we have to trade one out to get extra cap space for Hurley and in the process get a decent trade pick to be used for the future then that's the plan being executed.

always right
26-06-2016, 02:55 PM

I wondered if anyone would bite.

I'll add a sarcasm emoticon next time. :D

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 03:09 PM
I wondered if anyone would bite.

I'll add a sarcasm emoticon next time. :D

Smarty pants. But you do know that Barrett will be reporting 'sources around the Bulldogs are admitting they can't afford Hurley because of Tom Boyd's contract'.

Remi Moses
26-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Smarty pants. But you do know that Barrett will be reporting 'sources around the Bulldogs are admitting they can't afford Hurley because of Tom Boyd's contract'.

The grub's already working it into his weekly Tom Boyd sliding doors nonsense he trots out

bornadog
26-06-2016, 04:47 PM
The grub's already working it into his weekly Tom Boyd sliding doors nonsense he trots out

Did you see this weeks sliding doors, managed to have another go at Bevo.

azabob
26-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Did you see this weeks sliding doors, managed to have another go at Bevo.

How? Didn't he have a go at the players performance?

bornadog
26-06-2016, 04:59 PM
How? Didn't he have a go at the players performance?

... last week's mauling by Geelong (http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/13/wb-v-geel) was the Dogs' worst performance since Beveridge started as coach.

I took it as a go at Bevo's coaching.

G-Mo77
26-06-2016, 05:05 PM
I took it as a go at Bevo's coaching.

I took it as a compliment. There have been very few ordinary games like that since he took over.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 05:12 PM
If Hurley was happy with the yearly salary and wanted to join us as a DFA, should we be offering a 5 year deal to a bloke whose been out for a year? Not with standing he's an AA CHB.

G-Mo77
26-06-2016, 05:26 PM
If Hurley was happy with the yearly salary and wanted to join us as a DFA, should we be offering a 5 year deal to a bloke whose been out for a year? Not with standing he's an AA CHB.

I'd only offer under the condition he doesn't come with that stupid man bun.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 05:32 PM
I'd only offer under the condition he doesn't come with that stupid man bun.

Fair deal. All his contemporaries are getting offered 5 year deals on decent money so you'd have to think that's the ballpark of where we will need to be. Perhaps Crameri can give inside info on how his training is. It's a big commitment for a bloke with a year out. But the man bun is a not negotiable I agree.

1eyedog
26-06-2016, 06:09 PM

I'm not sure it will be purely based on what he can get on the open market. He is keen to stay in Victoria and our main competition from all reports is the Crows. Richmond and Carlton have said they're not interested although Norf are shaping as a potential suitor as well. If he does his background he will understand that as a 26 year old that by the time he is within the 28-30 age bracket we'll be a solid top 4 team while Norf will be commencing their rebuild.

I think a 5 year deal is ok for the type of player he is - even if he plays 4 solid years taking him to 30.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Yes, yes, yes!

Agree with comrade too - if we can get Hurley as a dfa then I'd look at what we can get for our first round pick ie. Wood or Hill.

GVGjr
26-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Yes, yes, yes!

Agree with comrade too - if we can get Hurley as a dfa then I'd look at what we can get for our first round pick ie. Wood or Hill.

Would we really have room to sign another? I suspect if a Hurley signing was possible it might limit the chances of recruiting someone like Hill who could command a decent contract.

ledge
26-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Would we really have room to sign another? I suspect if a Hurley signing was possible it might limit the chances of recruiting someone like Hill who could command a decent contract.

How about we use the draft pick in the draft ?

GVGjr
26-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Could you imagine the impact a Michael Hurley signing could have on membership sales?

We could certainly sell the point that we are now a destination club for profile players

The Bulldogs Bite
26-06-2016, 08:02 PM

Perhaps but I'm not sure Hill or Wood would command big contracts and the former may take a slightly under deal to play for a club with genuine premiership aspirations. There may be other possibilities, money talks but there are other considerations too.

Hurley would a massive get though.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 08:20 PM

I tend to agree. But then I'd look at trading a player type we are chock full of to free up some cap, perhaps in a swap or even a three way trade. I think the bigger priority is a class midfielder/winger like Prestia or Hill, but Wood is no doubt talented. Something like:

Hill/Prestia to Dogs
Stevens to Freo/GCS
Pick swaps to balance it out
Or 3rd club if needed

Stevens name is just an example whereby salary cap is freed for the incoming classy ball user, and we are still holding a decent draft pick around the top. We've been stockpiling inside mids and smaller types for many years with the apparent trading of one or two when needed. This might be the year to help with a good trade and the salary cap relief of a talented one. Matty Boyd would have to retire to free up a spot in the list and salary cap.

GVGjr
26-06-2016, 08:45 PM
So far we are being linked to Hurley, Nicholls, Vardy and Wood.
I'd just about rule Mason Wood out of the mix now that he seems to be a regular with North.
Given we tried to get a number of ruckman last year I think this means we will have a serious look at both Nicholls and Vardy

Remi Moses
26-06-2016, 09:52 PM
I'd just about rule Mason Wood out of the mix now that he seems to be a regular with North.
Given we tried to get a number of ruckman last year I think this means we will have a serious look at both Nicholls and Vardy

I don't think Norf would trade him . They have that many older players they won't let any young talent leave .
It will be interesting what they do when Turner and Higgins return . Hill would compliment our list nicely

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 09:52 PM

I tend to agree on Wood. When North crash & burn this September Petrie & Waite are probably gone and they admit Daw is a ruckman. So there's a spot for Wood and cash too. He'd have to be off the table for sure.

I think Nicholls will cost too much unless he's in a package with Prestia and player/s going to GCS. I like Vardy but his history of injuries can't be overlooked as they'd start at wanting a first rounder and try to get a second. Our medico's would want to investigate him really well as its buyer beware. The only other ruck out there is Vickery & Clarke as free agents. Clarke seems to have really struggled this year and can Vickery lead a ruck combo?

My dream scenario involves Hurley as a DFA, Hill/Prestia for our first rounder and maybe Jong/Hrovat/Honey and 2017 second rounder for McStay. (Assuming Minson & Goetz go) A ruckman that doesn't cost too much but offers some coverage. I think our main trading needs to be around guys who can be best 22 come round 1, 2017. If we need to trade out a player for salary cap reasons, then so be it and hopefully it either helps these possible trades or gives us a good pick back.

kruder
26-06-2016, 10:05 PM
I tend to agree on Wood. When North crash & burn this September Petrie & Waite are probably gone and they admit Daw is a ruckman. So there's a spot for Wood and cash too. He'd have to be off the table for sure.

I think Nicholls will cost too much unless he's in a package with Prestia and player/s going to GCS. I like Vardy but his history of injuries can't be overlooked as they'd start at wanting a first rounder and try to get a second. Our medico's would want to investigate him really well as its buyer beware. The only other ruck out there is Vickery & Clarke as free agents. Clarke seems to have really struggled this year and can Vickery lead a ruck combo?

My dream scenario involves Hurley as a DFA, Hill/Prestia for our first rounder and maybe Jong/Hrovat/Honey and 2017 second rounder for McStay. (Assuming Minson & Goetz go) A ruckman that doesn't cost too much but offers some coverage. I think our main trading needs to be around guys who can be best 22 come round 1, 2017. If we need to trade out a player for salary cap reasons, then so be it and hopefully it either helps these possible trades or gives us a good pick back.

Hill?

anfo27
26-06-2016, 10:07 PM
I like Prestia and think he is getable for us but not convinced he offers us anything we don't already have.

Not a fan of Hill. Has attributes we really need but just too soft for mine.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Hill?

Steve Hill.

jeemak
26-06-2016, 10:17 PM
How does Hill come into play? Has he been linked with a move to Victoria?

always right
26-06-2016, 10:19 PM
For god sake.....no to Nicholls. No physical presence, no ability to mark overhead, no sense of urgency. Why would we bother?

Remi Moses
26-06-2016, 10:20 PM
I think we're just spitballing a bit with Hill in particular.
Just wondering what Freo will do ,now they're not re-stumping, re-wiring and are in fact in full rebuild

Remi Moses
26-06-2016, 10:21 PM
For god sake.....no to Nicholls. No physical presence, no ability to mark overhead, no sense of urgency. Why would we bother?

I agree on Nicholls . Not for me

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 10:23 PM

I didn't see a great deal from him today against the Hawks.

bulldogtragic
26-06-2016, 10:24 PM
How does Hill come into play? Has he been linked with a move to Victoria?

I mentioned him. Everyone knows what happen when I mention players...

whythelongface
26-06-2016, 10:56 PM
A big yes please to Hurley. Not a fan when he does the red and black but in our colours he will be a sensation.

1eyedog
20-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Did anyone hear Tony Leonard mention during the Richmond v Lions match that he had discussed Hurley with Connors and Connors had told him that it's a two horse race and that Adelaide and the Bulldogs are leading it. He indicated that the Bulldogs had put forward a 5 year offer!

He also said that the Crows deal is expected to be greater but that Hurley wants to remain in Melbourne where he was born.

In other positive news Essendon will not get a compensation pick for losing him.

Talk is starting to ramp up around Hurley and the Bulldogs I wonder if something isn't already done.

Crameri and Hurley in the team next year will turn us beast mode.

Are you interested? How does he fit in?

Tony Leonard mentioned today that Hurley has agreed to the deal in principle and that he is 99% likely to be a Bulldog next year. He said he is dirty with Essendon and will not care one iota if the Bulldogs get him for free. Expect the 5 year deal to stand, contract undisclosed. Leonard from Connors direct.

jeemak
20-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Interesting. Though I'm not getting my hopes up.

I wonder what Connors gets from disclosing this information to Leonard, given Leonard just blabs it out at the first opportunity! Could it be he's escalating the process to see if he can squeeze more from other interested parties? Or is Leonard just plain old lucky?

Dancin' Douggy
20-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Tony Leonard mentioned today that Hurley has agreed to the deal in principle and that he is 99% likely to be a Bulldog next year. He said he is dirty with Essendon and will not care one iota if the Bulldogs get him for free. Expect the 5 year deal to stand, contract undisclosed. Leonard from Connors direct.
Oh god let it be a true. All of it.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Hurley as a DFA would be the second best free agent signing behind Buddy. Hopefully he can bring some disenchanted Essendon members over to us.

Would be the new People's Beard or the People's Man Bun?

GVGjr
20-07-2016, 07:05 PM
I think there is a huge advantage for Hurley and Connors if there is speculation that the player has all but agreed to go to one club so early in proceedings. Teams like Essendon and Richmond who are just playing out their season can have a good look at things and see how they can sweeten their offer and change his mind. It also allows team like Adelaide and maybe North, who are likely to review their Dads Army approach at the end of the season, the chance of entering the race for his services given they now might have a benchmark that they can work towards.

Until clubs rule themselves out of the race for him, much like GWS did with Franklin, or the media still have us as the favourite in late September I tend to think there is a lot more to play out here.

While its great to have our name so strongly linked with him I also remember Crameri nearly back flipped a couple of times before he made the hard call.

It's still early days for me.

comrade
20-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Any audio of this?

Bulldog4life
20-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Hurley as a DFA would be the second best free agent signing behind Buddy. Hopefully he can bring some disenchanted Essendon members over to us.

Would be the new People's Beard or the People's Man Bun?

I only want him for that glorious beard and man bun. Playing is secondary.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Yep. I think his signing would be huge for memberships too. Let's say it happens, would we ever have had a better, more talented or highly selected spine in one/two years time:

Adams (35) / Collins (26)
Hurley (5)
Bontempelli (4)
Stringer (5)
Boyd (1)

Edit: Imagine if we got Marchbank (6) - Our spine on cumulative draft order numbers would be a mere 21. The lowest in history is guess.

stefoid
20-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Crameri will be pleased not to get pantsed when we play essendon next, if this is true.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Crameri will be pleased not to get pantsed when we play essendon next, if this is true.

Pretty sure Crammers kicked 7 v Essendon last year.

Happy Days
21-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Yep. The 7th one was one of the most disrespectful goals I've ever seen.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-08-02/sevengoal-crameri-crushes-old-club

comrade
21-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Yep. The 7th one was one of the most disrespectful goals I've ever seen.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-08-02/sevengoal-crameri-crushes-old-club

I miss Crammers.

bornadog
21-07-2016, 01:18 PM

Most of them when opposed by number 25

Happy Days
21-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Most of them when opposed by number 25

Ariel Steinberg. I remember we wanted to draft him. I'm glad we didn't.

Twodogs
21-07-2016, 06:48 PM
some days it's just your day and you bang 'em home from all over the shop. The last one in almost an afterthought. Crammers runs around for five minutes waiting for someone to give him a call but he ends up thinking "bugger it, I'm only 70 metres out"

LostDoggy
21-07-2016, 06:58 PM
I miss Crammers.

Me too

Rocco Jones
21-07-2016, 07:04 PM
I miss Crammers.

Yeah massive out. Other than Stringer, arguably our best at playing as both tall and small forward. His transformation post VFL stint last year was massive. So valuable.

whythelongface
21-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I miss Crammers.

Yep absolutely. I reckon Tory misses him as well.

Remi Moses
21-07-2016, 07:31 PM
I know someone who knew Tony well.
Would think Tony is pretty credible and not an afl media gossip type

Scorlibo
21-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Yep. I think his signing would be huge for memberships too. Let's say it happens, would we ever have had a better, more talented or highly selected spine in one/two years time:

Adams (35) / Collins (26)
Hurley (5)
Bontempelli (4)
Stringer (5)
Boyd (1)

Edit: Imagine if we got Marchbank (6) - Our spine on cumulative draft order numbers would be a mere 21. The lowest in history is guess.

I'd take Adams over Marchbank if they were in this year's draft, BT! He's shown so much this year in just his first year at the top level, playing through injury setbacks. He's a gem.

GVGjr
21-07-2016, 07:40 PM
I know someone who knew Tony well.
Would think Tony is pretty credible and not an afl media gossip type

What is this in response to?

Remi Moses
21-07-2016, 07:56 PM
What is this in response to?

Tony Leonard on talk of Hurley leaving

GVGjr
21-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Tony Leonard on talk of Hurley leaving

Thanks, I scrolled this page and couldn't find the logical post you were responding to.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2016, 08:21 PM
I'd take Adams over Marchbank if they were in this year's draft, BT! He's shown so much this year in just his first year at the top level, playing through injury setbacks. He's a gem.

Agree, I was trying to find a low full back. With Collins there I think it's the lowest # spine, and the best one in two years if Hurley comes off.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2016, 09:57 PM
From Fox Sports:

St Kilda have contacted Connors. Dogs expected to be "a strong bidder" for Hurley. And this:

"The AFL has discouraged rival clubs from trying to use legal avenues to have Hurley made into a virtual free agent on the grounds the Dons violated his contract in their 2012 injection program; the league has made plain that it would prefer Hurley to remain with Essendon next year as the club rebuilds from a traumatic period."

BT says: "Tell them to get stuffed".

comrade
21-07-2016, 10:03 PM
From Fox Sports:

St Kilda have contacted Connors. Dogs expected to be "a strong bidder" for Hurley. And this:

"The AFL has discouraged rival clubs from trying to use legal avenues to have Hurley made into a virtual free agent on the grounds the Dons violated his contract in their 2012 injection program; the league has made plain that it would prefer Hurley to remain with Essendon next year as the club rebuilds from a traumatic period."

WTF? What right does the AFL have in getting involved with any negotiations?

Gil is becoming more like Vince McMahon every day.

Webby
21-07-2016, 10:09 PM
" the league has made plain that it would prefer Hurley to remain with Essendon next year as the club rebuilds from a traumatic period."

The league can "prefer" whatever they want... However no court in the world would hold up any attempt to restrict any banned Essendon player's movement after what that club did to them. NO COURT IN THE WORLD!

So bad luck AFL, bad luck Essendon. Shouldn't have recklessly played with their employees' lives.

If Hurley wants to find another employer close to home, with a strong list and a solid premiership window ahead of it, he should have every opportunity to go there.... And if that happens to be us, then so be it.... Lucky us, I guess!

Drunken Bum
21-07-2016, 10:11 PM

as much as i wish i could have laughed at this, sadly i couldn't because it's true and instead it was greeted with a sigh of sad resignation

bulldogtragic
21-07-2016, 10:12 PM
WTF? What right does the AFL have in getting involved with any negotiations?

What right do they have to effectively restrict Hurley's legal status, contract status and ability to find a remedy he may want to explore and/or execute? If Essendon say that nothing less than pick 5 for him will be considered then what are his options to get to the club he wants? There are sound legal principles that say he can consider his contract at an end. The AFL is adding insult to injury to him by trying to scare off clubs from agreeing with legal advice he no doubt has. You can bet if he and a club do it, there will be petulant reprisals for a long time.

Rocco Jones
21-07-2016, 10:25 PM
This is an absolute joke.

- Employer injects employees with substances they don't even keep track on, likely to be detrimental to health
- Employee want freedom to leave said employer

Outrageous!!!

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-07-2016, 11:47 PM
" the league has made plain that it would prefer Hurley to remain with Essendon next year as the club rebuilds from a traumatic period."

The league can "prefer" whatever they want... However no court in the world would hold up any attempt to restrict any banned Essendon player's movement after what that club did to them. NO COURT IN THE WORLD!

So bad luck AFL, bad luck Essendon. Shouldn't have recklessly played with their employees' lives.

If Hurley wants to find another employer close to home, with a strong list and a solid premiership window ahead of it, he should have every opportunity to go there.... And if that happens to be us, then so be it.... Lucky us, I guess!
We saw what happened when the AFL tried to manipulate Franklin to GWS rather than Sydney Swans. Player Manager's are mercenaries and at the end of the day it will come down to the almighty dollar. Our challenge might well come down to having room in the salary cap.

Twodogs
21-07-2016, 11:52 PM
From Fox Sports:

They can prefer what they like. I would have preferred to have Crammers running out on the weekend but he ain't because of what Essendon did to him. Where's the consideration for our trauma? We are contending and have to do it without a vital player. Not due to something our club did to him.

Let's remember who the bad guys are in this situation.

Remi Moses
22-07-2016, 03:32 AM
What an absolute joke that is !
Yep, it's getting like the WWF with each passing day .
If we get Hurley it will be through trading, got no doubt about that .
The AFL dictating player movement ? High farce

1eyedog
22-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Any audio of this?

I wouldn't know where to start with that! It was 3AW in response to a person who called in. The caller was going on about all the Essendon players who had ee-signed and Leonard let him have it, although he didn't elaborate further.

S Coast Simon
22-07-2016, 08:27 AM
There will be repercussions from the almighty powerful people in the boys club. It's not Gil that runs the boys club it is Mike Fitzpatrick and his goons. What about when they banned Swans from drafting anyone worth more than $350,000 because I think it was Colless upset Mike. And like a little school boy he cracked the shits and punished Sydney for it. How else has Carlton and Essendon managed to get Friday night games when they are crap. But the worthless Bulldogs had to fight for years to get them. The sooner the AFL commission is replaced with some grown up mature people the better for the entire game

comrade
22-07-2016, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't know where to start with that! It was 3AW in response to a person who called in. The caller was going on about all the Essendon players who had ee-signed and Leonard let him have it, although he didn't elaborate further.

Do you know which show and roughly what time. I'll be able to find it if so.

Twodogs
22-07-2016, 09:28 AM
There will be repercussions from the almighty powerful people in the boys club. It's not Gil that runs the boys club it is Mike Fitzpatrick and his goons. What about when they banned Swans from drafting anyone worth more than $350,000 because I think it was Colless upset Mike. And like a little school boy he cracked the shits and punished Sydney for it. How else has Carlton and Essendon managed to get Friday night games when they are crap. But the worthless Bulldogs had to fight for years to get them. The sooner the AFL commission is replaced with some grown up mature people the better for the entire game

Correct. Mike Fitzpatrick is the anti-Christ.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Correct. Mike Fitzpatrick is the anti-Christ.

Piss off AFL so called leaders, stop your patronage of the comp, who do you think you are old world patriarchs?
Hurley and the players don't need your advice on their employment and Essendon don't need or deserve your patronage. The law is that the Essendon players can walk away from their contract or any 'obligation' to Essendon FC having been abused by that employer. Back off AFL patriarchs, none of your business, Essendon will get the number one draft pick next year, dust off the sanction they received and enjoy ongoing involvement in a competition they disgraced and brought into disrepute. AFL you have favoured the strong Victorian clubs for too long, piss off.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-07-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm gonna email the AFL and cc Fitzpatrick and Gil with mine and WCoastSimon's post

Twodogs
22-07-2016, 03:07 PM
I'm gonna email the AFL and cc Fitzpatrick and Gil with mine and WCoastSimon's post

I wonder if it's someone's job to read through all the emails to the Age or the AFL? Or do they just delete them all?

Sedat
22-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Going off-topic, but my only concern with Adams is his durability - he's been out on 3 separate occasions in 2016 with 3 separate injury concerns. Hopefully it is a one-off - what was his durability like at WAFL level?

As for Hurley and the AFL's desire to protect those assholes at Essendon, methinks they should concentrate on managing the overall competition, you know then one where crowd numbers are in free-fall, clubs are basket cases north of Tweed Heads and there's some massive TV rights and player CBA negotiations coming up.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-07-2016, 03:21 PM
I got every AFL email address I could and asked that they forward it to Fitzpatrick and McLaughlin. Some of them may read it and who knows it may get passed on if the topic comes up.
I gave them my name and email address and told them GVGjr will oppose them at the next election and WOOFers are going to placade their workplace.

KT31
22-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I got every AFL email address I could and asked that they forward it to Fitzpatrick and McLaughlin. Some of them may read it and who knows it may get passed on if the topic comes up.
I gave them my name and email address and told them GVGjr will oppose them at the next election and WOOFers are going to placade their workplace.

Keep us in touch if any reply BID54.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-07-2016, 03:39 PM
I've already received recognition of receipt and AFL reception has suggested "You can contact AFL House on 03 9643 1999 or general@afl.com.au". I sent it to the players association too cos' it's an issue for them as well.

Remi Moses
22-07-2016, 04:15 PM
They are just so focused on the almighty bottom line ( Essendon winning means more patronage ) than the integrity of the sport, it's comical . They'll get either one or two in the draft for cheating, it just beggars belief

Remi Moses
22-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Mike Fitzpatrick is the Vladimir Putin of the code.
I could see The AFL doing what Russia did to protect its "Brand"

bulldogsthru&thru
22-07-2016, 05:02 PM
They are just so focused on the almighty bottom line ( Essendon winning means more patronage ) than the integrity of the sport, it's comical . They'll get either one or two in the draft for cheating, it just beggars belief

Yeah it's gonna bite them in the a$$ sooner or later. I know quite a lot of die hard footy fans losing interest in the AFL and turning to either local footy or overseas sports. It's become too much of a business and seems the enjoyment and passion is being taken out of the game

Twodogs
22-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Go GVGjr!

GVGjr
22-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Go GVGjr!

What you talking about Willis?

jeemak
22-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Yep, excellent work GVGjr.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Yep, excellent work GVGjr.

Agreed. Top notch.

Twodogs
22-07-2016, 11:40 PM

No question of anything but my full support in your bid for Mike Fitzpatrick's job.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I googled 'Michael Hurley news' and saw this from a few hours ago:

The SuperFooty Podcast’s premier team was back together, with Warner back from holidays joining Anthony Hudson and Sam Edmund to review all the weekend’s footy action.

Warner says Vickery needs to “go to a great club and slot into their system” — like Hawthorn.

“He’s one of those guys that can always kick two or three goals, even when they bag him for not playing well,” Warner said.

“Just the psyche of the guy ... why not (Hawthorn)?

“They took Sammy’s boy Jack Fitzpatrick.

“He’s a free agent, so Richmond get nothing for him.”

The boys all agreed that the rumblings around banned Bomber Michael Hurley leaving Essendon were growing louder.

“Sounds like he’ll go,” Warner said.

Mick and Sam reckon Huddo knows more than he’s letting on about Hurley’s future — is he destined for the Dogs?

“Robbo wrote something about it yesterday,” Huddo said.

“I thought the Dogs were the most likely destination.”

Remi Moses
26-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Just wow !

Ozza
26-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Hope we have the $$$ to get this done.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2016, 10:09 PM

We know from last year clubs were into Hrovat & Jong. This year Honey & Jong have interest, perhaps Hrovat again and Stevens is yet to re-sign. If we had to move one or two onto a club wanting them to free up some cash, and get a little currency for fringe players (I.e. Vardy) we are reportably into or better drafts picks, that's a huge, huge win for a trading season. I'd do it without thinking twice, so the money can be found if we really want an All Australian CHB on our charge to a (bloody) grand final.

anfo27
26-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Don't the swans have 2 players on a Million each? Then you have Parker, Kennedy, Hannebery & Jack on decent coin too. We only have 1 guy on a million. I think he is on 1.5 this year so would help the cap in future years. I think we can afford Hurley.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Don't the swans have 2 players on a Million each? Then you have Parker, Kennedy, Hannebery & Jack on decent coin too. We only have 1 guy on a million. I think he is on 1.5 this year so would help the cap in future years. I think we can afford Hurley.

Yes we can. Sam Reid is on $750,000 as well isn't he?

anfo27
26-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Surely not BT, he can hardly get on the park.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Surely not BT, he can hardly get on the park.

Might be an embellished memory on my part. I thought he got a 5 year deal worth around $750,000 a season a few years back.

jeemak
26-07-2016, 11:42 PM

Yeah but Brett Kirk regularly does yoga now and did so when he played for them so that means manageable salary cap pressure that applies to us is completely ignored if it relates to them.

Greystache
27-07-2016, 12:15 AM
Might be an embellished memory on my part. I thought he got a 5 year deal worth around $750,000 a season a few years back.

They're paying Tom Mitchell $600K a season. Carlton tried to poach him last year only to discover he'd be one of the highest paid players at the club and they couldn't afford him.

Mitchell was playing NEAFL at the time so you could only imagine what their stars are getting. Sydney more than likely have 8+ players on circa $1mil a season and another 10 on $600K+

But it's OK, the AFL blocked them from recruiting any more million dollar players, because you know, we're pretending they're not 50% over the cap.

ledge
27-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Nearly every club has a million dollar a year player I would say ., it's not that big a deal . What is the question by the media is he hasn't done anything to earn it yet so they bash him and us about it

Hotdog60
27-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Maybe if he got a better (fairer) deal from the umpires he would have earned some of it.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Nearly every club has a million dollar a year player I would say ., it's not that big a deal . What is the question by the media is he hasn't done anything to earn it yet so they bash him and us about it

Maybe if he got a better (fairer) deal from the umpires he would have earned some of it.

I can't work out who you are talking about? Hurley?

Mofra
27-07-2016, 09:52 AM
I thought it was a 5 year deal at $500k pa.
This was back in the Goodes/o'loughlin era, pre-Tippett & Buddy. He was seen as the heir apparent tot he CHF position.

They also have Mitchell on $500k pa although this is the last year of that deal.

SlimPickens
27-07-2016, 10:15 AM
All this discussion shows me that it makes it absolutely imperative that we don't over pay for players with restrictions on their game.
Jong and Stevens are the obvious ones and i would imagine Clay (due to injury) will be a year to year prospect.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2016, 10:19 AM
All this discussion shows me that it makes it absolutely imperative that we don't over pay for players with restrictions on their game.
Jong and Stevens are the obvious ones and i would imagine Clay (due to injury) will be a year to year prospect.

Completely agree. If they get better and/or longer offers from elsewhere then so be it. Ifvthey do then I'd rather potentially lose a player and land Hurley.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Hurley would be a huge coup for our Club. He is clearly a better key defender than Roberts Adams and Hamling and was arguably the best CHB in the competition. With Morris Murphy and M Boyd in their twilight years it would along with the likes of Wood and JJ rebuild an already strong defence.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Hurley would be a huge coup for our Club. He is clearly a better key defender than Roberts Adams and Hamling and was arguably the best CHB in the competition. With Morris Murphy and M Boyd in their twilight years it would along with the likes of Wood and JJ rebuild an already strong defence.

No argument about it, he was the All Australian CHB. Having a guy take the gorillas & big forwards would be a great result, he plays forward decently enough too. I hope we can land him.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Tom Browne reported that it's down to us and Essendon. He said we're making a big push but thinks he's likely to stay at the bombers.

KT31
28-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Tom Browne reported that it's down to us and Essendon. He said we're making a big push but thinks he's likely to stay at the bombers.

Need to push harder then.

LostDoggy
28-07-2016, 04:06 PM

The longer it drags on the better we start looking.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Throw the kitchen sink at it. 5 years, good cash, legal help and a meeting with Bevo, Bob, Bonts, Tom Boyd & Stringer with Prismall & Crameri at Peter Gordon's house. This is a huge result to be down to the last two, but it's for nothing if we can't seal the deal.

bornadog
28-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Throw the kitchen sink at it. 5 years, good cash, legal help and a meeting with Bevo, Bob, Bonts, Tom Boyd & Stringer with Prismall & Crameri at Peter Gordon's house. This is a huge result to be down to the last two, but it's for nothing if we can't seal the deal.

and a tour of the facilities. :)

ledge
28-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Thought he hated the bombers.

dadsgirl16
30-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Ok wasn't sure where to post this ...my boss who knows nothing about footy was having breakfast at a cafe yesterday and sitting next to her was "that Essendon guy" and a young guy and they were talking about changing clubs..how difficult it can be.
She is certain she heard the Bulldogs mentioned and how "he is a great bloke and they would look after him"
Have no idea who the player was but have worked out it was Worsfold.
The player drove off in a jeep.

jeemak
30-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Was it Worsfold who was commenting that the young person was a great bloke, and that EFC would look after him? Or was he suggesting that we would look after the young player and that someone at our club was a great bloke?

1eyedog
30-07-2016, 03:29 PM
It's Hurley then. Michael 100% drives a Jeep. I get twitter info all the time from him about Jeeps. We are good detectives aren't we.

From what I'm hearing we are more likely than unlikely. The jungle drums are banging. Having Crammers and Hurls next year and a full list will put us in Premiership contention.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Was it Worsfold who was commenting that the young person was a great bloke, and that EFC would look after him? Or was he suggesting that we would look after the young player and that someone at our club was a great bloke?

Ditto this question.

But we must be close, if Worsfold is meeting with him. Is the coach and his banned player allowed to meet under the suspension terms?

dadsgirl16
30-07-2016, 03:43 PM
But isn't Hurley overseas?
The coach was suggesting that the person in charge at the new club was a good bloke and that the club would look after him.
When I heard the Jeep thing I immediately thought of Richmond but she was pretty sure that the player was leaving rather than being courted..who knows I showed her heaps of photos but to no avail!

bulldogtragic
30-07-2016, 04:03 PM
ABC radio uploaded an interview with Bevo today on Twitter (sorry don't know how to link it).

We will be 'on the front foot with Hurley', and
'how could you say no to a player and a person like Michael Hurley', and
'we won't coerce anyone, it's up to them to look at their past and up to them to look at their future'.

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I think he's still o/s by all reports.

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 04:16 PM
ABC radio uploaded an interview with Bevo today on Twitter (sorry don't know how to link it).

'we won't coerce anyone, it's up to them to look at their past and up to them to look at their future'.
The question was asked on a forward option to cover jacks injury, and he said we'd be looking closely on a short term option.
Interesting

Bulldog4life
30-07-2016, 04:18 PM
The question was asked on a forward option to cover jacks injury, and he said we'd be looking closely on a short term option.
Interesting

Heard the interview. I wonder if this is where the interest in Vardy comes into it.

jeemak
30-07-2016, 04:20 PM
It might be someone they're trading out to secure Clay or BTC.........

dadsgirl16
30-07-2016, 04:26 PM
I listened to that and the one on SEN and he makes a point of saying That it's not just one player but all of those Essendon players that have yet to commit...would there be another one we are interested in?

bornadog
30-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Click here to here (https://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/afl-rd-19-luke-beveridge-western-bulldogs-iv) Bevo

FrediKanoute
30-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Good listen - not just about Hurley, but generally. I love Bevo! In my time as a fan we really have had some great coaches - Malthouse, Wheel's, Wallace, Rocket. I hope Bevo can take us a step further than these blokes did.

ledge
30-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Who else at Essendon is left to chase ?

Twodogs
30-07-2016, 07:56 PM
I listened to that and the one on SEN and he makes a point of saying That it's not just one player but all of those Essendon players that have yet to commit...would there be another one we are interested in?

Oh. A set!

Bullies
30-07-2016, 08:11 PM
There is also whispers that the club is interested in taking Cloke for the year to replace Redpath.

GVGjr
30-07-2016, 08:14 PM
There is also whispers that the club is interested in taking Cloke for the year to replace Redpath.

I saw that someone in the media speculated on that. Do you think its whispers or speculation Bullies?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-07-2016, 08:15 PM

Oh no...if we lament our poor kicking for goal costing us games now!

I'd be more inclined to see if Pavlich has anything left in the tank for one more shot at finals, before I'd even entertain the idea of going after Cloke.

ledge
30-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Wouldn't touch Vardy now .. Not sure we need to find a forward with Crameri coming back. And if we get Hurley and are struggling up forward use him As the swing man.
Remember we have Boyd and stringer already , maybe even Campbell, it's not our forwards is the problem it's getting the people delivering into the forward line properly is the problem

Bullies
30-07-2016, 08:45 PM
I saw that someone in the media speculated on that. Do you think its whispers or speculation Bullies?
Definitely interested by all accounts. Depends as well on what Collingwood will pay with the contract although they will be happy to offload him. He and Boyd will also take up the best defender which will free Dickson and Crameri, Dahlhaus to take the 5th and 6th defenders.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't touch Vardy now .. Not sure we need to find a forward with Crameri coming back. And if we get Hurley and are struggling up forward use him As the swing man.
Remember we have Boyd and stringer already , maybe even Campbell, it's not our forwards is the problem it's getting the people delivering into the forward line properly is the problem

My Dad says of Hurley ( his grandparents are from Hamilton, my home town ) yes, anyone would love to have him, apart from the Punjabi taxi drivers ;). Dad's a bombers fan by the way.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Oh no...if we lament our poor kicking for goal costing us games now!

I'd be more inclined to see if Pavlich has anything left in the tank for one more shot at finals, before I'd even entertain the idea of going after Cloke.

That was going to be my exact post. Thief! :D

GVGjr
30-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't touch Vardy now ..

He copped a bad injury with his ankle the other week. If we want him I don't think we would need to offer much for him

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Can't see the point of chasing someone who is always injured

ledge
30-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Can't see the point of chasing someone who is always injured

Unless we want him to keep the gym equipment in working order.

bulldogtragic
30-07-2016, 11:44 PM
If the money, pressure and attempts at brain washing haven't secured Hurley to Essendon yet you'd have to think he's a very good chance to go. I loved Bevo's line today, and you can hear it ringing in Hurley's ears - 'We won't coerce any of the Essondon players. They have to think about the past, and think about the future'.

If I had to think about being injected with God knows what, being hung out to dry and suspended. Then had to think about trying to get a premiership. I think I'd quit Essendon and go to the Bulldogs for an equally long contract and very good money too. And get that premiership before my career was over.

Remi Moses
31-07-2016, 02:35 AM
" They have to think about the past, and think about the future"
I think we're in the game

SlimPickens
31-07-2016, 09:07 AM
" They have to think about the past, and think about the future"
I think we're in the game

Brilliant line.

bornadog
31-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Matthew Lloyd in Sunday Age this morning stressing how important Hurley is to Essendon and how he must stay blah blah blah.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Matthew Lloyd in Sunday Age this morning stressing how important Hurley is to Essendon and how he must stay blah blah blah.

Smells like desperation.

Twodogs
31-07-2016, 02:32 PM

He is more important to us. He could be the difference between us being a premiership team or losing a prelim. He might stop a ten goal loss into a seven goal loss for them.

Tell Lloyd to keep his opinions to himself or we will send Steven Kretiuk around to punch his hand every now and then.

Remi Moses
31-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Smacks of hoping he stays more than anything .
They were spruiking about an announcement pre Brisbane game, and still nothing.
I thought it was odd they made it public that they'd put an offer up for him. It felt like they were trying to show their supporters they're trying to keep him.

The Underdog
31-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Maybe it's just my Bulldog conditioning but I'm pretty sure all the talk of Hurley and Cloke turns into Dawes and Litherland by October...

Rocco Jones
31-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Maybe it's just my Bulldog conditioning but I'm pretty sure all the talk of Hurley and Cloke turns into Dawes and Litherland by October...

Dawes/Cloke= not much difference IMO. They both aren't great but beat Hamling up forward.

Twodogs
31-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Dawes/Cloke= not much difference IMO. They both aren't great but beat Hamling up forward.

The difference between Cloke and Dawes is about 500k a year I reckon.

GVGjr
31-07-2016, 05:27 PM
To get Hurley we would need to give up a good player and I'm guessing our first round draft pick.

Which players would be in the mix (Kobe Stevens aside) to sweeten the deal?

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 05:33 PM
To get Hurley we would need to give up a good player and I'm guessing our first round draft pick.

Which players would be in the mix (Kobe Stevens aside) to sweeten the deal?

If we won't pull the free agency trigger at the start, and we end up with pick 11 or 12 then I'd offer that with Jong (Essendon & Collingwood can work out something) or threaten that we will pull free agency on them. If they offered to pay his salary, then I'd consider thinking about increasing the offer. But Kobe is in the list management conversation so I'm not too sure why we can include him in the conversation.

GVGjr
31-07-2016, 05:43 PM
If we won't pull the free agency trigger at the start, and we end up with pick 11 or 12 then I'd offer that with Jong (Essendon & Collingwood can work out something) or threaten that we will pull free agency on them. If they offered to pay his salary, then I'd consider thinking about increasing the offer. But Kobe is in the list management conversation so I'm not too sure why we can include him in the conversation.

Apologies for trying to broaden the discussion.

chef
31-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Our first pick and HC is what I'd offer(if HC was interested).

But i think Essendon will be after one of our better players though, its going to be a hard trade to arrange.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Apologies for trying to broaden the discussion.

No apology needed. He's probably our best out of contract player, so it goes without saying that if they wanted a good mature contested footy winning player (esp. If Watson doesn't come back) that he might be on their radar, or on another clubs radar and it ends up being a three way trade. Some have said the rumours are Campbell & Smith, but both have big question marks that make me question why Dodoro would consider them ample compensation with our first rounder. I think the crucial thing is what number our first rounder is, and whether we are prepared to put a metaphorical gun to their head in the form of pulling free agency status. Frankly, I think we should threaten it in negotiations when they start with demanding Bonts & Stringer & our first rounder. I know it will piss the AFEL off, but I see no reason to why we can't go the free agency route as the law in the area is solidly in the favour of Hurley's contract being at an end.

Mantis
31-07-2016, 06:04 PM
But i think Essendon will be after one of our better players though, its going to be a hard trade to arrange.

Knowing how Ess have traded in the past I'd think they'd be after our first pick + a top 10 player on our list.

It really comes down to what Hurley wants and if he definitely wants out Ess should do the right thing by him and help him get to his club of choice.

chef
31-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Knowing how Ess have traded in the past I'd think they'd be after our first pick + a top 10 player on our list.

It really comes down to what Hurley wants and if he definitely wants out Ess should do the right thing by him and help him get to his club of choice.

Yep, they'd want our first pick and a Dahl/Macrae/Wood/JJ etc

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Yep, they'd want our first pick and a Dahl/Macrae/Wood/JJ etc

Essendon spokesperson, Mark Robinson, has stated if Hurley leaves Essendon they want our first rounder and either Bonts or Stringer.

Ergo, threaten &/or utilise free agency if they pull this garbage.

azabob
31-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Essendon spokesperson, Mark Robinson, has stated if Hurley leaves Essendon they want our first rounder and either Bonts or Stringer.

Ergo, threaten &/or utilise free agency if they pull this garbage.

How does that work when Bontempelli is better than Hurley and Stringer is the equal and likely will end up better than Hurley?

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 07:02 PM
How does that work when Bontempelli is better than Hurley and Stringer is the equal and likely will end up better than Hurley?

It's Essendon. Remember what they offered for Scott West? That's why I'd be aggressive in dealing with them. If they push too hard, then free agency we should pursue.

Remi Moses
31-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Just bought that up with a few mates .
The great Darren Walsh whom they de-listed
Disengenous as always

Happy Days
31-07-2016, 09:15 PM
It's Essendon. Remember what they offered for Scott West? That's why I'd be aggressive in dealing with them. If they push too hard, then free agency we should pursue.

Please remind me.

Why are we even bothering any other avenue than the free agency trigger? Last I checked we still have to play Essendon next year. We were MORE than fair in gifting them their current best player Zach Merrett last time we traded with them for the sake of "good faith negotiating". Why would we bother doing so again if it will only see Bont or Stringer demanded of us next time? They can eat Campbell and 15 and like it or GAGF.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Please remind me.

Why are we even bothering any other avenue than the free agency trigger? Last I checked we still have to play Essendon next year. We were MORE than fair in gifting them their current best player Zach Merrett last time we traded with them for the sake of "good faith negotiating". Why would we bother doing so again if it will only see Bont or Stringer demanded of us next time? They can eat Campbell and 15 and like it or GAGF.

For All Australian and multiple time B&F Scott West... Darren Walsh and a second rounder. Walsh was then delisted.

And I'm with you 100% on the free agency angle. The legal side is simple enough, so we will upset Essendon and the AFEL. What have either done for us lately!?

jazzadogs
01-08-2016, 09:22 AM
For Jake Carlisle, a younger player with IMO potential to match or better Hurley, the Saints gave picks 5 and 24 for Carlisle and 14.

The main reason this deal worked so well for the Saints was the utilisation of Sydney who wanted Academy points...could we look at something similar?

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Have we once, ever, successfully traded with Essendon? They drink their own bath water by the gallon.

bornadog
01-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Have we once, ever, successfully traded with Essendon? They drink their own bath water by the gallon.

Crameri

westdog54
01-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Cooney

Scorlibo
01-08-2016, 01:38 PM
If free agency is an option, why wouldn't we take it? Take that egomaniac imbecile Dodoro out of the equation.

Twodogs
01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Please remind me.

I'm wondering the same myself. If they had us over a barrel like this they wouldn't think twice about squeezing us.

Its time for Essendon to start eating the shit sandwiches they have been accumulating. For the last 30 years they have been treating other clubs like something they found stuck to the inside of their jocks when it comes to trading.

The AFL are not to get Essendon out of the current situation they got themselves into. If it takes them 30 years to recover to their former position then stiff shit. They made their bed, they can lie down in it. I will go postal if the AFL try to give them any leg ups.

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Buhagiar

The Doctor
01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
If free agency is an option, why wouldn't we take it? Take that egomaniac imbecile Dodoro out of the equation.

I'm sure Peter Gordon would be fully aware of the rules governing this issue and if there is a way we can get him as a DFA it will no doubt prove a very handy ace to have in our hand.

However, it may be a case of trying to generate a trade as a gesture of goodwill to all parties involved. We can all argue the case that Essendon didn't do the right thing by it's player etc. but it may be in our own self interest to try and arrange a suitable trade. After all the cronies at AFL house seem to be agitating for Hurley to stay where he is. They want the big clubs doing well. If we are pig headed it won't reflect well on us and I have no doubt there will be consequences of some kind dished out later on.

But if Essendon are pig headed and it's plain for all to see we can play our ace and state we had no other option. Then who could blame us.

Remi Moses
01-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Buhagiar

Budgie was cooked at Essendon .

Mofra
01-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Mark Alvey?

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Budgie was cooked at Essendon .

Plus I think he went home first before coming to us.

ledge
01-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Stringer , Dickson and Campbell were all part of Essendons plans but we snapped them all up for free, before the bombers could get their claws fully in , so we did well out of Essendon lately.

Remi Moses
01-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Plus I think he went home first before coming to us.

I think we had to talk him around . He lasted a season, but was great value

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 05:32 PM
I think we had to talk him around . He lasted a season, but was great value

Yeah I remember him well in our colours, was a real dynamo

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Stringer , Dickson and Campbell were all part of Essendons plans but we snapped them all up for free, before the bombers could get their claws fully in , so we did well out of Essendon lately.

They let Biggs through to us as well.

GVGjr
01-08-2016, 06:50 PM
For Jake Carlisle, a younger player with IMO potential to match or better Hurley, the Saints gave picks 5 and 24 for Carlisle and 14.

The main reason this deal worked so well for the Saints was the utilisation of Sydney who wanted Academy points...could we look at something similar?

Excellent point, well made. As a side note the Saints did well out of getting Gresham.

I think to land Michael Hurley we will need to trigger other scenarios and not just assume that Kobe Stevens is headed for the departure lounge and that will give us what we need to secure Hurley.

There are significantly more options available for clubs to get deals done now especially with the academy clubs looking at options to the draft value index.

Grantysghost
01-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I have read articles saying the banned Essendon players can walk for nothing as delisted free agents. Is the assumption Hurley will not want this scenario? I would assume if he wants to leave for reasons related to the supplements regime, then he wouldn't really care about the Bombers being short changed considering his year out of the game.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-to-get-no-free-agency-compensation-pick-if-michael-hurley-decides-to-leave-the-bombers/news-story/a2f3094a8db28b8edd2b23dc40493c80

Edit : Behind pay wall, here's the important paragraph.

"ESSENDON would receive no free agency compensation pick if Michael Hurley walked out to one of a growing list of AFL suitors.

The All-Australian centre half-back remains unwilling to commit to the Bombers.

Essendon could have cashed in on Cale Hooker’s departure by securing a free agency compensation selection in the top handful of national draft selections.

But is understood if Hurley left as a free agent, it would be as a delisted free agent for which the club receives no compensation.

The collective bargaining agreement states if a player can prove a breach of contract their club has not been able to remedy, they are able to terminate their contract.

The club must then immediately terminate their contract, allowing them to move to their club of choice as a delisted free agent.

The player could prove that breach either through the AFL’s grievance tribunal or through a court of law.

Clubs including the Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and North Melbourne are believed to be monitoring his situation with interest."

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I have read articles saying the banned Essendon players can walk for nothing as delisted free agents. Is the assumption Hurley will not want this scenario? I would assume if he wants to leave for reasons related to the supplements regime, then he wouldn't really care about the Bombers being short changed considering his year out of the game.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-to-get-no-free-agency-compensation-pick-if-michael-hurley-decides-to-leave-the-bombers/news-story/a2f3094a8db28b8edd2b23dc40493c80

Agree. But the AFEL are threatening clubs who may want to do it. Personally, I don't care for them or Essendon and if Hurley was up for it then we shouldn't hesitate to get an AA player and keep our first rounder &/or players. I think the conversation surrounds us being forced into trading for whatever reason.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 07:19 PM

"ESSENDON would receive no free agency compensation pick if Michael Hurley walked out to one of a growing list of AFL suitors.

Essendon could have cashed in on Cale Hooker’s departure by securing a free agency compensation selection in the top handful of national draft selections.

But is understood if Hurley left as a free agent, it would be as a delisted free agent for which the club receives no compensation.

The collective bargaining agreement states if a player can prove a breach of contract their club has not been able to remedy, they are able to terminate their contract.

The club must then immediately terminate their contract, allowing them to move to their club of choice as a delisted free agent.

The player could prove that breach either through the AFL’s grievance tribunal or through a court of law.

Clubs including the Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and North Melbourne are believed to be monitoring his situation with interest."

With interest! With interest! That would be poetic justice for losing Crameri for a season.

Twodogs
02-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Max Crow.

And we successfully traded Alan Stoneham to them. They were very happy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Max Crow.

And we successfully traded Alan Stoneham to them. They were very happy.

I'm pretty sure we got Max via Saints. You know you're bad when you take your burned out Bomber players after they've had a stint with a 1980's Saints team!

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 07:32 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. The key here really is Hurley. Maybe he doesn't want to pull the DFA trigger out of some kind of loyalty to the other Essendon players who have been through this together. Seems ridiculous from where we stand, but who knows what discussions they've all had and where their collective heads are at?

I could imagine that leaving would be seen as acceptable within that group, but exercising the DFA option (particularly with a very high market value) would be much more 'disloyal'. Many will say it's absurd for him to have any loyalty towards Essendon or the other banned players, but none of us have walked in his shoes the past few years.

ledge
02-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Agree. But the AFEL are threatening clubs who may want to do it. Personally, I don't care for them or Essendon and if Hurley was up for it then we shouldn't hesitate to get an AA player and keep our first rounder &/or players. I think the conversation surrounds us being forced into trading for whatever reason.

But it's nothing to do with the club picking him up its between Essendon and Hurley .. If Hurley decides to go breach of contract and releases himself so Essendon get nothing that's Hurley choice, can't go bringing the buying club into it .. Fact is Essendon breached the rules how can they or the AFL turn it on the club who gets him ? Not that clubs fault they breached.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2016, 11:09 AM
But it's nothing to do with the club picking him up its between Essendon and Hurley .. If Hurley decides to go breach of contract and releases himself so Essendon get nothing that's Hurley choice, can't go bringing the buying club into it .. Fact is Essendon breached the rules how can they or the AFL turn it on the club who gets him ? Not that clubs fault they breached.

Your sentiment I agree with, but the AFEL is a petulant dictatorship who will subject us to many unfavourable things as punishment for ignoring their wants to A) Hurley stay at Essendon & B) not go free agency if he leaves (as per story I posted a week or so ago). Realistically, if Hurley doesn't allow the trigger to be pulled right away, but threatens to do so if Essendon don't trade in good will to get him to the club of his choosing, then that's an effective bargaining chip. Just have to see what happens.

Twodogs
02-08-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure we got Max via Saints. You know you're bad when you take your burned out Bomber players after they've had a stint with a 1980's Saints team!

You're right. It was St Kilda. He started at Essendon in his teens though so he had played a fair bit of footy when he came to us. He was a good footballer. Injury took him out.

Remi Moses
02-08-2016, 02:29 PM
I think the same outcome as Ryder will take place if he leaves. There will be an insane Essendon trade option, bit of false bravado and then he'll be traded. I'm leaning towards him going now, as the silence is deafening with Hurley and Hibberd. If that's the case ladies and gents buckle up, we're in for some Dodoro magic

ledge
02-08-2016, 04:20 PM
If they were going to stay you would imagine they would have committed already .. It's August and still nothing .. Why ? Because they are looking at best options of course , why else ?

Axe Man
02-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Beveridge admits Dogs are interested in Hurley
(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-02/beveridge-admits-dogs-interested-in-hurley)
WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed the club's interest in Essendon star Michael Hurley.

Despite being contracted for 2017, Hurley is yet to commit to the Bombers in the fallout from the supplements scandal, and there's been speculation the Dogs have made strong overtures to the 2015 All Australian key defender.

The 25-year-old is understood to be in no rush to declare his intentions, and while the Bombers remain confident they'll retain his services, Hurley is keeping his options open as he works his way towards a final decision while serving his season-long suspension.

Hurley, Jobe Watson, Michael Hibberd, Ben Howlett, Tayte Pears and Brent Stanton are suspended Essendon players still to declare their intentions for next season.

"If any one of the boys who hasn't made a decision decides they want to move on, us, like the other 16 clubs, need to consider the prospect on them coming (into our club)," Beveridge said.

"Michael is one of those (players), and he's a very, very good player.

"If that's the decision Michael makes, we need to make sure we throw our hat in the ring."

The Bulldogs' key defensive stocks appear one of the club's few weaknesses, and adding Hurley to a backline containing fellow All Australian Robert Murphy, Easton Wood, Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd would enhance the its premiership credentials greatly.

First-year sensation Marcus Adams has been the Dogs' first-choice key defender when fit, with Fletcher Roberts and draftee Kieran Collins still developing.

While the arrival of Hurley next season would instantly make the Dogs a flag fancy, Beveridge hasn't given up hope that his injury-ravaged side can give its lone 1954 premiership cup some long overdue company this September.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Notice the media seem to be focussing on us as the only team he looks headed to if he doesn't stay a bomber? Between Robbo, Huddo, Whately and lots of these small pieces it seems the word is out in journo land that its a two horse race. Essendon have had a big contract extension in front of him for months, so you'd have to think we're just better than 50/50 right now assuming we can get competitive with dollars as its been reported we are offering 5 years also. God I hope we can pull it off.

ledge
02-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Must be happening .. Barrett's very quiet on this subject. If it wasn't he would be banging on about Boyds contract stopping it.

Twodogs
02-08-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm surprised that we haven't had an essay from Barrett about how Hurley wouldn't come to us specially because of Tom Boyd's contract. Hurley got a phone call from a short guy with glasses who told him all about Tom Boyd's contract and the provision in it that supplies arms to the PLO so he decided to sign with Essendon again.

comrade
02-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Certainly has been all quiet on the Barrett front, in spite of increased speculation from other journos. Can only mean we are into this deal up to our necks.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Certainly has been all quiet on the Barrett front, in spite of increased speculation from other journos. Can only mean we are into this deal up to our necks.

Poor Barrett must be sitting in the Bates Motel (or Barrett's Motel even) right now getting angry at his mother for allowing this possibility. :D

Remi Moses
02-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Gotta love Essendon supporters . They know players contracts .

Bulldog4life
02-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Poor Barrett must be sitting in the Bates Motel (or Barrett's Motel even) right now getting angry at his mother for allowing this possibility. :D

Wonder what ccolour dress he would wear. Probably blue and white.

Twodogs
02-08-2016, 09:32 PM

I reckon he's locked in a room inside the Herald-Sun building somewhere.

1eyedog
03-08-2016, 08:50 AM
More of the same but this plastered all over the media is a really good thing for us. As per the OP I'm hoping this is just a matter of time and that he has already agreed to play with us next year.

In reality they are so far off playing finals it's not funny and Hurley is 26. If the contract is acceptable he'd be crazy not to come over and play finals for the last 4-5 years of his career.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-in-hunt-to-lure-essendon-star-michael-hurley/ar-BBva5LX

1eyedog
03-08-2016, 10:23 AM
More of the same but this plastered all over the media is a really good thing for us. As per the OP I'm hoping this is just a matter of time and that he has already agreed to play with us next year.

In reality they are so far off playing finals it's not funny and Hurley is 26. If the contract is acceptable he'd be crazy not to come over and play finals for the last 4-5 years of his career.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-in-hunt-to-lure-essendon-star-michael-hurley/ar-BBva5LX

Hands up who likes opening the above link to see a big picture of Hurley with a bold Western Bulldogs heading!

How quickly this club has turned itself around. Legend club and all that is needed to make it a powerhouse is a few flags.

ledge
03-08-2016, 10:33 AM
These so called power clubs aren't power clubs anymore, when will the AFL see that , they want equalization but still look after certain clubs who just aren't it anymore. With equalisation comes a change of power clubs as success is evened out. Supporters will flock to other clubs and leave these so called power clubs as succes changes.
Look at crowd drop off with Essendon , Collingwood, Carlton etc and stop including the special days eg Anzac Day as an excuse .. If you have two clubs that are going well At the time you will pull big crowds anyway. I still think that game should be shared .. Either winner stats on and plays the year beforehand premier or it's a gf replay ... Give reward to clubs who deserve it. Sorry rant over just riles me.

1eyedog
03-08-2016, 10:49 AM
These so called power clubs aren't power clubs anymore, when will the AFL see that , they want equalization but still look after certain clubs who just aren't it anymore. With equalisation comes a change of power clubs as success is evened out. Supporters will flock to other clubs and leave these so called power clubs as succes changes.
Look at crowd drop off with Essendon , Collingwood, Carlton etc and stop including the special days eg Anzac Day as an excuse .. If you have two clubs that are going well At the time you will pull big crowds anyway. I still think that game should be shared .. Either winner stats on and plays the year beforehand premier or it's a gf replay ... Give reward to clubs who deserve it. Sorry rant over just riles me.

Not only this but if you give blockbuster game rewards to clubs who performed well the previous year you're likely to have a far greater spectacle and far higher chance of a close match which raises the interest of the neutrals anyway. Essendon playing on ANZAC day was a disgrace by the AFL.

Back on topic...

LostDoggy
03-08-2016, 09:39 PM
More clubs will come with some offers. Melbourne are someone who I could see being able to trump our deal, especially if Hogan leaves.

Yes it's handy with have Crameri and a great list, but Melbourne will have Hibberd and we know how much the media talk up Melbournes potential and the 'fantastic' job Roos has done. Apparently.

Ghost Dog
03-08-2016, 10:06 PM
More clubs will come with some offers. Melbourne are someone who I could see being able to trump our deal, especially if Hogan leaves.

Yes it's handy with have Crameri and a great list, but Melbourne will have Hibberd and we know how much the media talk up Melbournes potential and the 'fantastic' job Roos has done. Apparently.

Media has gone off Paul Roos a bit recently I think. Less complimentary than before,

Remi Moses
04-08-2016, 03:29 AM
Media has gone off Paul Roos a bit recently I think. Less complimentary than before,

Don't know if I agree with that .
Still gets the red carpet media treatment love

Ghost Dog
04-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Don't know if I agree with that .
Still gets the red carpet media treatment love

It's incredible how long the red carpet has been out. His press conferences are like ground hog day.
A fairly constant critic is Titus O'Reilly :D one of the biggest Melbourne critics going. Despite being a comedy blog his commentary is actually quite good. Note his hilarious open letter to Paul Roos.
http://titusoreily.com/an-open-letter-to-paul-roos-and-peter-jackson/

Mofra
04-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Hogan is contracted for next year.
If McDonald leaves they might consider an offer but if McDonald leaves I'd hope we have our hat in the right for him anyway.

Axe Man
04-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Robbo on AFL 360 last night mentioned that Hurley has been asking people that he knows about the Bulldogs, we are clearly in his thinking. Of course Slobbo is still confident that he stays at Essendon.

1eyedog
04-08-2016, 12:37 PM
He has no idea. The drums are beating even louder re. Hurley at the Bulldogs than they were re. Ward to GWS and Harbrow to GCS.

Mofra
04-08-2016, 01:35 PM
He has no idea. The drums are beating even louder re. Hurley at the Bulldogs than they were re. Ward to GWS and Harbrow to GCS.
Franklin to GWS :p

LostDoggy
04-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Hogan is contracted for next year.

So? Still staggers me people think someone won't leave because they are contracted the following year. If a player wants to leave then 99% of the time a deal gets struck. McCarthy being the only exception and look how that's ended.

Mofra
04-08-2016, 03:05 PM
So? Still staggers me people think someone won't leave because they are contracted the following year. If a player wants to leave then 99% of the time a deal gets struck. McCarthy being the only exception and look how that's ended.
And how often does a contracted player leave? It's very much the exception rather than the rule.

1eyedog
05-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Franklin to GWS :p

Only about 20 km wrong though

The Pie Man
05-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Only about 20 km wrong though

Eek imagine him in their forward line today....

Anyway...I'm continuing to follow my own advice on this thread. I implore you to do likewise.

Don't get your hopes up - I'll continue to employ a under promise/(hope to) over deliver on this.

always right
05-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Eek imagine him in their forward line today....

Anyway...I'm continuing to follow my own advice on this thread. I implore you to do likewise.

Don't get your hopes up - I'll continue to employ a under promise/(hope to) over deliver on this.

Scientific tests prove that doubt and the fear of being disappointed form part of a bulldogs supporter's DNA.

The Pie Man
05-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Scientific tests prove that doubt and the fear of being disappointed form part of a bulldogs supporter's DNA.

Aye....and yet despite this well founded fear, we persist.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Aye....and yet despite this well founded fear, we persist.

There's no other viable option.

Bulldog Revolution
05-08-2016, 09:29 PM

I hope you are right, I certainly appreciate the optimistic outlook

It would be a great decision for Hurley and his footballing future to come to us :D

Grantysghost
08-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Interesting comments from Chappy, couple that with Robbo on SEN saying it's between Bombers and Dogs and it's starting to get very interesting.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/paul-chapman-says-michael-hurley-will-leave-essendon/news-story/36eb3364dedac6e4a14081552bd943c5

bornadog
08-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Interesting comments from Chappy, couple that with Robbo on SEN saying it's between Bombers and Dogs and it's starting to get very interesting.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/paul-chapman-says-michael-hurley-will-leave-essendon/news-story/36eb3364dedac6e4a14081552bd943c5

http://stylefitnessomaha.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/the-missing-link-820x400.jpg

Twodogs
08-08-2016, 04:19 PM

So did Chappy leave Geelong and go to Essendon chasing a wooden spoon?

bornadog
08-08-2016, 04:23 PM

bit different, he was in his 30s and cooked.

G-Mo77
08-08-2016, 04:27 PM

Essendon is a place where players go to die (retire).

One last pay packet before calling it quits.

ledge
08-08-2016, 04:32 PM
It's like an aged care centre, with a superannuation scheme.

Remi Moses
08-08-2016, 04:36 PM

That's Norf Melbourne

ledge
08-08-2016, 04:42 PM
That's Norf Melbourne

You got me there.

G-Mo77
08-08-2016, 04:43 PM
That's Norf Melbourne

They'll be front and centre with contracts for guys like Kelly and Crowley.

ledge
08-08-2016, 04:51 PM

Any one over 30 with a suspect body goes to Nth , Higgins and Waite.Cooneys contract must have got mixed up.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2016, 05:05 PM
The drums are beating louder re Hurley. Barrett, Sam Landsberger both stating if he leaves it's to us. Sounds likely that Hurley will be wearing red, white and blue next year if he chooses to leave.

The Doctor
08-08-2016, 05:23 PM
The drums are beating louder re Hurley. Barrett, Sam Landsberger both stating if he leaves it's to us. Sounds likely that Hurley will be wearing red, white and blue next year if he chooses to leave.

Fingers crossed.

We still have to deal with Dodo, the Dirty Harry of the AFL, if he does decide to leave.

Twodogs
08-08-2016, 05:29 PM

And the best pharmaceutical care there is.

ledge
08-08-2016, 05:45 PM

fingers crossed.
we still have to deal with Dodo, the Dirty Harry of the AFL, if he does decide to leave.

Not if Hurley uses his get out of jail free card .

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 05:51 PM
We are starting to get good people from other, successful clubs.
Ex assistant from Hawthorn now our coach, Suckling, Biggsy from the Swans, Hammers from the Geelong system, and as our profile gets up it seems to make it easier to attract top shelf talent. Can't wait for trade period. PG flagging we will be big players.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Fingers crossed.

We still have to deal with Dodo, the Dirty Harry of the AFL, if he does decide to leave.

Awesome if this ever eventuates. GCS have pick 4 & 9. Will get 6 if Prestia goes and another top 10 if Jaeger goes. Say they have 4, 7 & 9. We do (say) pick 12 & something for pick 7.

Replicate the Carlisle deal. Pick 7 for Hurley & pick 19. (19 could be swapped with GCS for pick 21 to give them more points without us losing too much). So then who gets us a 5 pick upgrade from GCS, less some bonus points for them?

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Tall defenders: Hurley, Adams, Roberts, Cordy, Hamling, Collins & Morris.

We look short on tall forwards again. The pick 21 from above for McStay?

GVGjr
08-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Tall defenders: Hurley, Adams, Roberts, Cordy, Hamling, Collins & Morris.

We look short on tall forwards again. The pick 21 from above for McStay?

I'm not so sure. If we are looking to acquire McStay because we are short on tall forwards due to Redpath being injured then how does our midfield shape up with Wallis gone for a while?

jeemak
08-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Fingers crossed.

On the one hand the fact the twat is still at EFC is great, because he's really holding them back. The only downside is having to put up with his arrogant and insulting hubris if forced to deal with him.

What he does when negotiating - which is put forward unreasonable requests - is a poor technique to getting what he wants as it's only likely to result in an unreasonable counter request being made of him.

Sure, he probably gets an endorphin release from beating his chest, but it's detrimental to his cause and it seems he along with those at EFC are too stupid to realise it.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm not so sure. If we are looking to acquire McStay because we are short on tall forwards due to Redpath being injured then how does our midfield shape up with Wallis gone for a while?

We only have two tall forwards. Without Redpath, it leaves just one.

As much as Wallis' injury hurts our midfield/overall team, his type is where we have our greatest depth.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 08:00 PM

We only have two tall forwards. Without Redpath, it leaves just one.

As much as Wallis' injury hurts our midfield/overall team, his type is where we have our greatest depth.

This. Stringer isn't a traditional KPF and may spend time in the midfield so he says. Crameri & Dickson aren't KPFs. Redders is out most of the year. That leaves us with Tom Boyd who we may ruck again (I'm hoping not). That leaves us light on in my book. Dahl has come in since Wally went down, Clay Smith is working back to the midfield, Webb & Dunkley are developing nicely, Stevens didn't play on the weekend & Jong may still be with us too. So I don't see too much a correlation between the two scenarios, adding McStay improves our list & forward line potential in my opinion.

LostDoggy
08-08-2016, 08:22 PM
With Hurley back in town this week, 2 weeks from now if there's no announcement we have him.

Won't be announced until our season is done.