PDA

View Full Version : Incident involving Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy - Statement

LostDoggy
30-06-2016, 01:42 PM
The Western Bulldogs Football Club confirms that it has dealt with an incident in the last several weeks involving two of its players; Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy.

The incident involved an altercation between Tom and Zaine, in which both players were affected by alcohol.

The Club is strongly against any form of violent behaviour and is extremely disappointed in the actions of both players, particularly by the actions of Tom.

The Club has responded by invoking a range of sanctions and other measures:

- It has required Tom and Zaine to apologise and explain their conduct to their teammates and colleagues
- It has required Tom to undergo appropriate counselling
- It has suspended Tom and Zaine from AFL selection until the Club deems it appropriate for both to return
- It has imposed the maximum available fine of $5000 in respect of the relevant unacceptable aspects of Tom’s behaviour
Tom and Zaine have accepted these sanctions, and they have all been implemented.

Additionally, Tom has volunteered a significant personal contribution of time and money to a not for profit organisation focused on the prevention of social violence.

Tom and Zaine have committed to the Club that there will be no repetition of such behaviour and that they will atone to their teammates and the Club.

The Club accepts the sincerity of their remorse and commitment. We will continue to fully support both players.

The Club will have no further comment to make on the matter.

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au

F'scary
30-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Just what we need.

LostDoggy
30-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Just in time for Barretts sliding doors.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 01:45 PM
What did they actually do? I've just finished work so don't know whats been in the news today but was this public knowledge before the statement?

LostDoggy
30-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Wasn't public knowledge. Article on Herald Sun mentions it was after a VFL match and Boyd 'accidently' struck Cordy..

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2016, 01:52 PM
If it was several weeks ago, they've done a great job keeping it quiet until now.

Disappointing.

Axe Man
30-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Tom Boyd suspended by Western Bulldogs for incident involving teammate (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/tom-boyd-suspended-by-western-bulldogs-for-incident-involving-teammate/news-story/43aead59966f9671845f4d7c7b953781)

PRIZED Western Bulldogs recruit Tom Boyd has been secretly suspended over a late-night incident with teammate Zaine Cordy.

Boyd and Cordy are both suspended from AFL selection “until the club deems it appropriate for both to return”.

Boyd and Cordy were drinking together after a recent VFL match when the Dogs’ star recruit accidentally struck his teammate.

Cordy, the son of former Bulldogs player Brian, required medical attention.

The club was initially kept in the dark about the circumstances behind the incident before the pair fessed up.

The players told the club they were skylarking and it was not an intentional act.

Boyd was suspended from the AFL team that faced Geelong two weeks ago and will not play against Sydney at the SCG on Saturday. He is permitted to play in the VFL.

Cordy is also not available for AFL selection. It is unclear when the suspensions will end.

Boyd was also fined $5000 and both players apologised to the playing group for their conduct.

Boyd was also counselled about his behaviour and has made a private contribution to the Step Back Think charity.

The Bulldogs have issued a statement declaring the club is “strongly against any form of violent behaviour and is extremely disappointed in the actions of both players, particularly the actions of Tom.”

“Tom and Zaine have committed to the club that there will be no repetition of such behaviour and that they will atone to their teammates and the club,” the statement says.

“The club accepts the sincerity of their remorse and commitment. We will continue to fully support both players.”

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 01:56 PM
FFS. Barrett will have a field day. Did they have a donnybrook?

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 01:58 PM

Sounds like it.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Sounds like it.

Silly boys. Silly boys.

dadsgirl16
30-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Walk of Shame for both of them

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Great now Barrett can reload his guns once more...

Bulldog4life
30-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Not good enough from both players. Disappointing.

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2016, 02:05 PM
They must have been fighting about the size of Tom Boyd's contract. Surely that would be the only reason...

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Titus O'Reilly: Tom Boyd is actually Latin for 'buyers remorse'.

Here it comes...

The bulldog tragician
30-06-2016, 02:17 PM
They must have been fighting about the size of Tom Boyd's contract. Surely that would be the only reason...

There are so many things liquoured-up young men fight over. A girl. A look sideways. A pass that wasn't delivered correctly. Who knows?

It's embarrassing and just plain dumb.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 02:20 PM
I can't help but feel the club threw them under a bus publicly. Rumors always float around we can deny and deny then punish in house. I don't see the point in creating public back lash I'd rather we kept things behind the walls. We've held it out of the public for this long just keep denying.

I don't know the full story here but my feel on it is we're to quick to shame our players when something goes wrong.

Before anyone jumps on me I don't condone violent behavior at all.

Twodogs
30-06-2016, 02:22 PM
The statement said it was a result of skylarking. What does that mean? It could mean anything from falling out of a tree to joining the national front.

1eyedog
30-06-2016, 02:23 PM
It's on facebook that they were WWF wrestling and Tom dropped him. Sounds like they were just being 20 year old boys.

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Sorry, Tragician, I should have made it clear I was being sarcastic!

As for throwing players under the bus,who knows the full truth of the matter. Perhaps the club learned the story was about to be exposed and acted pre-emptively to issue their own statement. That seems the likeliest scenario to me, given it's been under wraps for 'several weeks.'

If the wrestling scenario is true, storm in a teacup.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Be interesting to know how the other players react to Boyd now

bornadog
30-06-2016, 02:35 PM
I can't help but feel the club threw them under a bus publicly. Rumors always float around we can deny and deny then punish in house. I don't see the point in creating public back lash I'd rather we kept things behind the walls. We've held it out of the public for this long just keep denying.

I don't know the full story here but my feel on it is we're to quick to shame our players when something goes wrong.

These days very hard to keep inhouse, too many people working at the club. It happened a few weeks ago, and perhaps the club tried to deal with it internally, but now forced to go public, due to some sneaky reporter.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 02:43 PM

If they apologise, then life goes on.

1eyedog
30-06-2016, 02:43 PM

What do you mean?

azabob
30-06-2016, 02:46 PM
You couldn't script this stuff

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Suspensions from AFL while they were in the VFL coming back from injury, the bye and still needing another VFL run. Seems we learned a trick from the MRPs one week ban of Viney.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 02:52 PM
These days very hard to keep inhouse, too many people working at the club. It happened a few weeks ago, and perhaps the club tried to deal with it internally, but now forced to go public, due to some sneaky reporter.

They could have just said 2 players have been punished internally with fines, counseling etc. Let reporters and fans do guess work after that.

Again I don't know the full story so....

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2016, 02:53 PM
But leaving speculation to run riot only fans the flames of the story, doesn't it? Just my view.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 02:55 PM
But leaving speculation to run riot only fans the flames of the story, doesn't it? Just my view.

As apposed to the headlines now? It would have been a small snippet now it's a headline.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 02:56 PM

All Zane's fault:D

Murphy'sLore
30-06-2016, 02:58 PM
As apposed to the headlines now? It would have been a small snippet now it's a headline.

I can't see the difference. It's still a story, but it keeps on being a story until everyone figures out who was involved. And then it's the same story we've got now. All it would achieve is dragging it out longer.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Yep. If it's a nothing incident say so, or if it's a fight say so. But allowing every person, and every idiot to use their imagination is worse. But the good news is already Malcolm Turnbull & Bill Shorten have each stated only they can be trusted to stop 'Bordy' (Boyd/Cordy = Bordy) incidents in the future they're elected.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 03:00 PM
All Zane's fault:D

Then Zaine's a moron. Boyd has a huge height, weight and reach advantage. :)

Rocket Science
30-06-2016, 03:02 PM
And as if on cue ...

http://i.imgur.com/UlDepfL.png

I hope Danny McGinlay's "hellbent" on a Barrett-themed banner when the time is right.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Then Zaine's a moron. Boyd has a huge height, weight and reach advantage. :)

ha ha I was stirring you and you bit.:D

Bulldog4life
30-06-2016, 03:11 PM
What do you mean?
Exactly what I said.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 03:12 PM
And as if on cue ...

http://i.imgur.com/UlDepfL.png

I hope Danny McGinlay's "hellbent" on a Barrett-themed banner when the time is right.

LOL Predictable response.

The bulldog tragician
30-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Given that just yesterday Bevo was talking about a possible T Boyd call up for the Sydney game I'd suggest that we had dealt with it internally and only now our hand has been forced into going public.

The statement unfortunately leaves enough unsaid for everyone to begin filling in the gaps as creatively as possible. I think the club are being excessively optimistic if they think that their "no further comment" line will hold.

comrade
30-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Just deny deny deny. Can't see any benefit giving this wings by publicly commenting, especially in the vague manner we've gone about it.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Just deny deny deny. Can't see any benefit giving this wings by publicly commenting, especially in the vague manner we've gone about it.

I'm glad I'm not alone here comrade. :)

Templeton31
30-06-2016, 03:25 PM

One has to assume it was going to be published. Looks like the Herald Sun were going with it so we got a statement out. Agree there is no chance the 'No Comment' will hold. Wonder if we will push the 'Skylarking' accident line and then in turn whether that really was the case or it was an actually bust up.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 03:26 PM
One has to assume it was going to be published. Looks like the Herald Sun were going with it so we got a statement out. Agree there is no chance the 'No Comment' will hold. Wonder if we will push the 'Skylarking' accident line and then in turn whether that really was the case or it was an actually bust up.

Breaking News: A couple of young guys letting off steam and on the piss get physical.;)

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Breaking News: A couple of young guys letting off steam and on the piss get physical.;)

If it was a "wrestle" then I want to see the finisher Tom put on Zaine. Maybe a Kevin Nash like Jack knife power bomb.

The bulldog tragician
30-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately I'm sure it's gone past the stages where we could ignore it and this is an attempt to put our own version out there and appear strong by dealing with it. A standard PR 'crisis manual' response. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Equally unfortunately too many questions remain and by indicating Toms role was more significant and deserving of greater censure, the idea that one of two rather large boof-heads accidentally fell over/tripped over each other on the way to another beer/were embracing each other in brotherly solidarity/insert your own 'innocent' explanation - is going to seem, um, implausible.

Templeton31
30-06-2016, 03:42 PM

True. But when one of the young guys is getting paid 1.5mill and is yet to prove his worth (for the record I think he will) then its a big story. If it had been Zaine and Joel Hamling it wouldn't have gone very far.

Scraggers
30-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Damien Barrett via twitter :-
Bulldogs were hellbent on covering this Boyd incident up. Went to extraordinary lengths. Very embarrassing for them

1eyedog
30-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Exactly what I said.

Well I have no idea what that meant but anyway moving on...

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Dissapointing to hear. Let's hope this is the first and last incident we have from both Tom and Zaine. The media will find another scandal soon and this will be water under the bridge.

Templeton31
30-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Robbo tweet in support:
"we demand players to be competitive on the field, but then kick them when they overstep the mark off it. Not ideal, but not hanging offence."

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 04:12 PM
True. But when one of the young guys is getting paid 1.5mill and is yet to prove his worth (for the record I think he will) then its a big story. If it had been Zaine and Joel Hamling it wouldn't have gone very far.

Tend to agree the media is interested in Tom because he is getting paid a huge sum. If his pay was much less than that then it wouldn't get as much coverage. Tom is still young and has many more years ahead. Just frustrated that he hasn't been playing but hopefully he'll be playing soon.

The Pie Man
30-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Barrett wades into some fairly unprofessional territory at times - he's a strange cat.

Anyway...a blue like this off the field is still pretty disappointing, I can't imagine Bont etc will be easily forgiving if it's a heated altercation.

Could (probably should) be an influential moment in Tom's career though, he'll need to work extra hard to regain respect and I'm sure he will. It'll pass, much like Brad Scott's umpire gaffe has already (and that was a MUCH bigger story - I'm still laughing)

Rocket Science
30-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Silver linings ... one might assume from this that Boyd's shoulder's just fine.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Robbo tweet in support:
"we demand players to be competitive on the field, but then kick them when they overstep the mark off it. Not ideal, but not hanging offence."

I never thought I'd say this. Robbo is the voice of reason on this.

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Maybe he should have threatened to drown him and taken off o/s for a few weeks.
Sounds like 20 year olds being silly and got out of hand .
Looking forward to the grubs exclusive on the brawl in 2026.

kruder
30-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Robbo tweet in support:

I know they are meant to be professionals but they are 20 years old. I spoke to a player recently and what really dawned on me was how young these guys actually are and we probably expect a little too much from them.

I'm fine with Boyd showing aggression, it would be nice for him to show it on the field too when he leads at the pill.

G-Mo77
30-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Silver linings ... one might assume from this that Boyd's shoulder's just fine.

Haha. Good point. They've been keeping him out as because they are showing caution with his shoulder injury.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 05:49 PM
From twitter don't know how accurate:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmLgJzKVEAA7SzH.jpg:large

The Pie Man
30-06-2016, 05:54 PM
They've hinted a glassing might've been involved on SEN this arvo

That might explain a cut?..?

1eyedog
30-06-2016, 05:58 PM
They've hinted a glassing might've been involved on SEN this arvo

That might explain a cut?..?

That's just outrageous. Half the VFL players were in the room when they were wrestling, it's all over at least 3 VFL players facebook sites. They were wrestling WWF-style and Tom dropped Zaine and he hit the corner of his eye on a table. Jesus talk about Chinese whispers!

Tom Libba has shown that you can move past actions you would otherwise avoid. The problem in this instance isn't the wrestling, the cut, and there was no altercation judging by other VFL players present. The issue is the getting pissed mid-season. That's Boyd's problem. No doubt about it he needs to step up in the second half of the year.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 06:09 PM
If it were a glassing Tom would be on remand or bail (intentionally causing serious injury & assault with a weapon, the former being a top level serious indictable offence). What gutter & irresponsible reporting. Tom has the money to sue them, and maybe he should.

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 06:11 PM
If it were a glassing Tom would be on remand or bail (intentionally causing serious injury & assault with a weapon, the former being a top level serious indictable offence). What gutter & irresponsible reporting. Tom has the money to sue them, and maybe he should.

They need to get their facts straight.

Ozza
30-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I'm not going to feign outrage about this incident. The incident itself is possibly being made to be a bigger deal than it needs to be. However, it would be nice is either player got a run on the board (let alone 'some runs') before they got in the papers for the wrong reasons.

GVGjr
30-06-2016, 06:37 PM

They're not children and I believe the club should not try and cover it up. This shouldn't be seen as the club shaming the players. The players should be ashamed of their actions but I feel the club is obligated to simply give people the facts. It's stupidity but not serious.

We had Bevo saying Tom Boyd was close to playing earlier in the week and now he won't even be selected for Footscray. A mate said we should now be considering sending him for surgery on his shoulder because his season is as good as done. I'm not sure I agree but when could we realistically expect to see him back in consideration for senior selection?

dukedog
30-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Unless Barrett has already written it. It will be the sliding doors for sure. In saying that. Not hard to re write that P.O.S article in 5 minutes anyway. Blown up i suspect. Dogs got in first before barrett blew it up saying we were hiding it

Templeton31
30-06-2016, 06:43 PM
They're not children and I believe the club should not try and cover it up. This shouldn't be seen as the club shaming the players. The players should be ashamed of their actions but I feel the club is obligated to simply give people the facts. It's stupidity but not serious.

We had Bevo saying Tom Boyd was close to playing earlier in the week and now he won't even be selected for Footscray. A mate said we should now be considering sending him for surgery on his shoulder because his season is as good as done. I'm not sure I agree but when could we realistically expect to see him back in consideration for senior selection?

The statement says not eligible for AFL selection. Assume still able to play for Footscray.

Axe Man
30-06-2016, 06:43 PM

Where have you got that from? The statement says they won't be considered for AFL selection - I expect Tom will play VFL.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2016, 06:45 PM

The way I read it I thought they could play VFL but not AFL. Might be wrong.

Hotdog60
30-06-2016, 06:45 PM
I think I'm a bit more concerned about them being pissed during the middle of the season.
Not that they can't have a drink but know when to stop. I also thought most if not all clubs don't like their players getting on the sauce during the season.

GVGjr
30-06-2016, 06:46 PM
The statement says not eligible for AFL selection. Assume still able to play for Footscray.

Where have you got that from? The statement says they won't be considered for AFL selection - I expect Tom will play VFL.

The way I read it I thought they could play VFL but not AFL. Might be wrong.

Looks like I might have read that wrong. We will know soon enough.

dukedog
30-06-2016, 06:48 PM
What is getting drunk and or 'on the sauce' ? Blokes can drink 10 beers act like they have had none. We dont know if they had one beer and kicked off. One might have said something to the other that he didnt like. Turn it up barretts!!!

The Pie Man
30-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Robbo on SEN

Best mates
11pm at an inner city pub post VFL game
Words said, punch thrown
One stitch required
Zaine tried to cover it up as they're still close

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-06-2016, 07:10 PM
This incident reflects poorly on our Club coming at such a critical time of the season. A five thousand dollar fine is like a gentle tap on the hand given Boyd's massive highly overpaid contract.unfortunately our Club has had a history of incidents like this over too many years which reflects poorly on our professionalism. At a time that Tom Boyd was expected to be in strong contention for senior selection this week we now find he has been suspended indefinitely.The hope is that we can now overcome this incident by defeating the Sydney Swans.

hujsh
30-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Damien Barrett via twitter :-
Bulldogs were hellbent on covering this Boyd incident up. Went to extraordinary lengths. Very embarrassing for them

Damien Barret is like Trump of ALF media. Tweets and journalism are embarrassing. Sad.

comrade
30-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Hawks have been hounded by off field controversy over the last decade (injunction, Hodge over limit, sexual assault claims, Brian Lake and his wife publicly fighting while intoxicated, Brad Hill driving infringements). Hasn't hurt their on field success.

Leicester City were embroiled in a huge off field saga that cost them their coach and players. They then went on to win the EPL.

Cleveland sacked their coach earlier THIS season and went on to beat one of the best teams ever.

This is a huge beat up if ever I've seen one.

Sedat
30-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Boyd being publicly chastened is not a bad thing at all. He will refocus and put his best foot forward.

The rest is just white noise. Forget about Barrett - he was beaten to the story by the Dogs and is just dirty about it. For a supposed news breaker, he breaks bugger-all stories.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Damien Barret is like Trump of ALF media. Tweets and journalism are embarrassing. Sad.

"Make AFL Great Again" - And that's seriously his football insight of the modern game...

Q. How should a defence line up with small forward line? A. Wall.
Q. How should a defence line up with a tall forward line? A. Wall.
Q. How do you keep the ball inside 50 for repeat scores? A. Wall.
Q. How do you keep the opposition half back line from pressing? A. Wall.
Q. How do pierce a defensive cluster? A. Wall. Huuuuge wall.
Q. Why is something or anything a problem? A. Tom Boyd, he's as big as and looks like a wall. And I'm fantastic.

whythelongface
30-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Only just came across this a short time ago. Very disappointing from both players. Will be interesting to hear what the truth is. Violence is certainly not something to be taken lightly. good on the club for taking disciplinary action.

SonofScray
30-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Am not fussed about this one way or another, although I think the Club are pretty good at playing as straight a bat as you can when the 24hr news cycle AFl centric, boys club media want a circle jerk story. Boyd will cop a heap of criticism and commentary over his form and salary, but that was happening anyway, so we shouldn't be worried any more than me might have otherwise been.

The relentless pursuit of Boyd's failure by the media is pretty ordinary though, can imagine it'd be tough to deal with.

LostDoggy
30-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Nothing to see here.
Next.....

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Nothing to see here.
Next.....

Will be fine. We've had quite a few incidents like this in the past and got through.

chef
30-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Wow. Amazing how little can make such a big story. Barretts a flog.

LostDoggy
30-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Wow. Amazing how little can make such a big story. Barretts a flog.

He is the King of Flogs!!!! ;)

hujsh
30-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Only just came across this a short time ago. Very disappointing from both players. Will be interesting to hear what the truth is. Violence is certainly not something to be taken lightly. good on the club for taking disciplinary action.

Doesn't really sound like actual violence though. Just playing around. I don't subscribe to all that anti-PC bullshit but this really does seem to be an empty story.

Happy Days
30-06-2016, 09:01 PM
The irony of Barrett bringing up the "vengeance" of us recruiting Boyd at every turn is not lost on me.

Jeanette54
30-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Of course the bright side is, as I think Dermie once said. You will never win a premiership with a team of pc angels (or something similar).

azabob
30-06-2016, 09:54 PM
How serious is Tom Boyd about his footy?

Struggled with mobility, fitness and form since day one of his career. Under external pressure for not performing on field - yes injuries have played a part, particularly this year.

He is finally able to get back to playing and rather than giving himself every opportunity of regaining form and fitness and getting back into the senior side, a senior side no less who is screaming out for a forward target, he goes out and drinks alcohol.

He now has zero credits in the bank and I reckon the pressure internally will also start building and build quite quickly.

Extremely disappointing.

Ghost Dog
30-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Love your positivity Jeanette. Nobody expects players to be perfect. But you expect them to respond perfectly to their mistakes and I have no doubt both of these guys will.
As for Barrett, it's time for the memes to come out. Damien Wabbet.

And for all you alarmists, just make sure you post in proportion to the way you did when Libbagate occurred
( far worse scenario in my view ) Look at him now. Leather under his fingernails week in week out.

What do we know? Jumper punch? Push me pull you? Chinese burn? Primary school kids can have 'violent incident's' if you term it that way.

And good on the club! It happened two weeks ago and nobody knew. They could have tried to cover it up but they fronted up. Who intends to pat the club on the back for integrity? Not negative nelly Barrett.

Get behind TomZain

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Of course the bright side is, as I think Dermie once said. You will never win a premiership with a team of pc angels (or something similar).

I think Sheedy once said you need a few Cowboys in your side

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Boyd being publicly chastened is not a bad thing at all. He will refocus and put his best foot forward.

The rest is just white noise. Forget about Barrett - he was beaten to the story by the Dogs and is just dirty about it. For a supposed news breaker, he breaks bugger-all stories.

I was dumbfounded he went on with the West Coast drug culture 10 years after events occurred .
The whole world knew Embley and Chick had a punch on, yet Barrett had an "exclusive "

Twodogs
30-06-2016, 11:12 PM
When did he reveal this exclusive?

bornadog
30-06-2016, 11:22 PM
This incident reflects poorly on our Club coming at such a critical time of the season. A five thousand dollar fine is like a gentle tap on the hand given Boyd's massive highly overpaid contract.unfortunately our Club has had a history of incidents like this over too many years which reflects poorly on our professionalism. At a time that Tom Boyd was expected to be in strong contention for senior selection this week we now find he has been suspended indefinitely.The hope is that we can now overcome this incident by defeating the Sydney Swans.

I think you can say that about all clubs.

Eastdog
30-06-2016, 11:25 PM

Agree BAD. All clubs have had these type of incidents. We need to see him play a lot more games. A few years from now he might be a great player for us and this incident will be small in the bigger picture.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 11:27 PM
link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-30/these-things-happen-bob-murphy-responds-to-dogfight)

These things happen': Dogs skipper responds to dogfight

THE WESTERN Bulldogs must protect feuding teammates Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy because that's what families do, captain Robert Murphy says.The duo, both currently playing at VFL level, have been suspended indefinitely by the club after an alcohol-fueled altercation.

"These things happen and we move on as best we can," Murphy told reporters outside Whitten Oval on Thursday.
"(It's) never ideal but the boys have made a mistake and fronted up to those, and we've dealt with it as all good families do.
"We've fronted up to the incident internally amongst the players and the club, because we do think of each other as family.

"We confront those things internally, upfront but we protect each other as well.
"It's not ideal, of course you'd love to avoid these sort of things, but everyone makes mistakes and the boys have owned up to those mistakes and we move on from there."

Murphy wouldn't buy into how close Boyd is to senior selection.
The high-priced forward hasn't played at senior level since round four, after hurting his shoulder.

comrade
30-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Feuding teammates? FFS!

Ozza
30-06-2016, 11:36 PM

Struggled with mobility, fitness and form since day one of his career. Under external pressure for not performing on field - yes injuries have played a part, particularly this year.

He is finally able to get back to playing and rather than giving himself every opportunity of regaining form and fitness and getting back into the senior side, a senior side no less who is screaming out for a forward target, he goes out and drinks alcohol.

He now has zero credits in the bank and I reckon the pressure internally will also start building and build quite quickly.

Extremely disappointing.

Good post azabob

As supporters - it's fine to be directing the anger at Damien Barrett and calling him a flog etc etc - but to me, it's pretty misdirected and misses the point.

Every footy fan that doesn't barrack for the bulldog has more or less the same opinion of Tom Boyd.
I peddled the defence of his contract like every other bulldog for a while there - that it shouldn't be relevant, that the scribes are morons etc etc.

But you have to look at these things with a healthy dose of reality.

IT IS of great interest to footy supporters, what players get paid. In all professional sports - particularly when you have a salary cap as part of list management - a players' salary is extremely relevant. Yes it's repetitive, it's monotonous - but it is also all they have to talk about - until Tom actually does something.
Yes, he is still young, and big players take time - but the harsh reality of pro sports is that if you put your hand up to take the big cash (and good on him for getting it) you invite the speculation of the media, and frankly, the negativity of the public until you prove yourself.
Just this week, we had the speculation of Jaegar O'Meara being worth, or not worth, $750K.
The Josh Jenkins worth is a continuing discussion, as well as Cloke's last season.
We all take part in these discussions, so we shouldn't feel so vilified when our man is judged also.

I've seen all the posts about how Barrett and others are wrong about Boyd because we continue to re-sign our players. I agree on that, we have certainly had no issues there yet. But I don't think we can be as smug as 'Worst day ever for Barrett' and pointing out how wrong he is about the Boyd deal, until Tommy actually starts to perform. The other issue, like it or not, is that paying Tom what we are, means that you can't throw a million a year at an actual proven star - which might put us in serious contention - now.

There is still a heap to play out for Tom Boyd as a bulldog - and how history will judge our decision to get him. And what I will say is that I'm glad we have had a crack - I think when you've had so long without a flag, the bigger risk was to take no risk.

I'm desperate for Tom to be a great player - he makes me very anxious - but I'm in his corner to the extent that I actually listened to a VFL game on local radio purely to hear how he was going!!

But my point is that we all should be realistic about the way he is perceived in the public and reported on in the media. It's up to Tom to let his footy do the talking to an extent that the money is no longer centre stage. Putting himself in the position where grog and violence are involved in the reports reflects pretty bloody poorly on him when you consider he is trying to get himself back to fitness and try and force his way into the side - and gives the critics more of what they want.

bornadog
30-06-2016, 11:36 PM
Tom Boyd, the punch-up and the cover-up

Written by the Flog making a mountain out of a mole hill.

read here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-30/tom-boyd-the-punchup-and-the-coverup)

hujsh
30-06-2016, 11:38 PM

Any group of 20 somethings in Australia

Tom Boyd, the punch-up and the cover-up

Written by the Flog making a mountain out of a mole hill.

read here (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-30/tom-boyd-the-damienbarret=poo)

Please don't click the link and support him

EasternWest
30-06-2016, 11:53 PM
Any group of 20 somethings in Australia

Please don't click the link and support him

And please apply same rule to any "journo" that works/has worked for the Herald Scum.

comrade
30-06-2016, 11:54 PM
A cover up where we advise the AFL what has happened? Ok.

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 11:56 PM
It's a boring drip feed split round so hence relatively minor stories get blown up
There's a major problem right now and that's the media's drive to be the story, and the game and it's players aren't .
This could be the best thing to happen to both Zaine and Tom, and a major character test.
The issue with Barrett is he's allowing his agenda with Beveridge to whack the club at every opportunity.

Remi Moses
30-06-2016, 11:58 PM

So he talks a cover up and yet the club informed the AFL.
As I said this bloke has an agenda against the coach

bulldogtragic
30-06-2016, 11:58 PM

I heard an unnamed player saw a sub-contact janitor take some urinal cakes from Whitten Oval without the express consent of the club. The player didn't say anything by my source. I think the player by not saying anything is in on the great urinal cake heists throughout the AFL club rooms. If we don't tell every single thing to Damett it's a cover up, so we'd better tell him soon before he breaks the 'exclusive' on it.

dukedog
01-07-2016, 06:25 AM
I heard an unnamed player saw a sub-contact janitor take some urinal cakes from Whitten Oval without the express consent of the club. The player didn't say anything by my source. I think the player by not saying anything is in on the great urinal cake heists throughout the AFL club rooms. If we don't tell every single thing to Damett it's a cover up, so we'd better tell him soon before he breaks the 'exclusive' on it.

Great work . Hahahahaha. I propose damien bafrets new name be 'urinal cake'

F'scary
01-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Perhaps this story heralds the start of the new Tom Boyd: Swaggering, roughhouse, barnstorming centurion.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Extremely disappointing.

Yeah i think this is the most concerning thing. The issue is fairly trivial IMO. What is more concerning is some of the talk that has come out of it regarding Tom and his reputation at the club.

merantau
01-07-2016, 09:49 AM
It's disappointing but it's not the end of the world. What will be really disappointing is if Tom does not respond to this by playing his best football, getting back in the team and playing well at the highest level. If this doesn't happen then I'm afraid, that for me, 2016 will go down as a 'Year of Marking Time' for Tom rather than 'A Year of Moving Forward.' But what would really make me angry would be th hear that any team mate is having a crack at Tom about his contract. Because that leads to disunity and to borrow a term from politics: 'Disunity is Death.'

Templeton31
01-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Great post azabob. Sums it up for me.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2016, 10:03 AM
The elephant in the room is that we are paying mega bucks to Tom Boyd purely on potential alone and what we hope he will become. Tom is not a rookie player getting paid a nominal salary. We are not paying him on what he has done or what he is doing. It is a huge risk and we applaud the Club for being so bold. But Tom has to knuckle down and do "everything" right by the Club that has set him up for life. Hopefully Tom takes a leaf out of The Bont's book.

SonofScray
01-07-2016, 10:08 AM
The elephant in the room is that we are paying mega bucks to Tom Boyd purely on potential alone and what we hope he will become. Tom is not a rookie player getting paid a nominal salary. We are not paying him on what he has done or what he is doing. It is a huge risk and we applaud the Club for being so bold. But Tom has to knuckle down and do "everything" right by the Club that has set him up for life. Hopefully Tom takes a leaf out of The Bont's book.
This is nit picking to a degree, but what you described is not an "elephant in the room," the Club has taken that action in a considered fashion, understanding the risk. The fans have discussed it ad nauseum. The media bring it up every opportunity. Every action Tom makes is linked to the narrative of risk around his contract. It is an overwhelming feature of discussion.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
This is nit picking to a degree, but what you described is not an "elephant in the room," the Club has taken that action in a considered fashion, understanding the risk. The fans have discussed it ad nauseum. The media bring it up every opportunity. Every action Tom makes is linked to the narrative of risk around his contract. It is an overwhelming feature of discussion.

We all have different opinions. That is mine SOS.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2016, 10:12 AM

Yeah the trade and contract seems to look worse day by day. I'm glad we have been able to sign up our young guns but it could still mean we don't have the greatest flexibility that we would like to have in trade and free agency periods. As fans we have been patient, but im not sure a year of no progress can be tolerated for much longer. He's heaped a lot of pressure on himself now. He needs to repay the faith quickly and pull his head in - in regards to his effort and performance.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Good post SOS.

I for one, am sick and tired of hearing about his contract and what he is paid, as you say brought up ad nauseum by every journo, supporter and non supporters.

What I see in Tom is a 20 year old, 200cm number one draft pick, with only 27 games of experience. He is no ordinary 200cm player that is picked because of his height. (hello Ayce) The kid can play, he wasn't number 1 draft pick for nothing. He has shown us glimpses of what he can do, and as he gains experience and confidence, he is going to be one big headache to the opposition.

This incident happened weeks ago, and he has shown by his attitude playing in the VFL, that it is all behind him now.

Look forward to seeing Tom in the seniors in the next few weeks.

PS: Need a dislike button for some of the posts in this thread.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Good post SOS.

I for one, am sick and tired of hearing about his contract and what he is paid, as you say brought up ad nauseum by every journo, supporter and non supporters.

What I see in Tom is a 20 year old, 200cm number one draft pick, with only 27 games of experience. He is no ordinary 200cm player that is picked because of his height. (hello Ayce) The kid can play, he wasn't number 1 draft pick for nothing. He has shown us glimpses of what he can do, and as he gains experience and confidence, he is going to be one big headache to the opposition.

This incident happened weeks ago, and he has shown by his attitude playing in the VFL, that it is all behind him now.

I agree. I couldn't care less what people outside the club think so long as internally everyone is ok with it - his contract, his potential, his performance. But when you start to hear that things might not be so great internally, that is a worry. In any case, its all hearsay atm.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 10:27 AM
I agree. I couldn't care less what people outside the club think so long as internally everyone is ok with it - his contract, his potential, his performance. But when you start to hear that things might not be so great internally, that is a worry. In any case, its all hearsay atm.

Where have you heard that?

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Where have you heard that?

oh just BF - but from a couple of very reliable posters. I don't want to go into detail here as its just hearsay at the moment, but these posters have been very reliable before. To me, it doesn't add up but i only hear things from watching tv and reading articles like most people!

Ozza
01-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Good post SOS.

So anyone who has question marks around Tom and the deal are wrong to talk about it?

If another club had done the deal we had with Tom (plus paying a significant portion of Griffen's contract, and giving up a pick 6) - and had gone on to get the same output at this point, and THEN seen the player play 2s and get in the papers for an off field incident - this forum would have plenty of snickering posts about it.

Some of the posters here are just taking a more balanced view, than the blind faith of 'Everything's ok - Tom will be great, he was a no.1 pick'.

dukedog
01-07-2016, 10:56 AM
we are to believe anything that comes out of this club ever again ...
...we're going to need hard proof. Cover-ups create lies, which create a bigger problem than the initial problem. And Boyd might even be playing this weekend had there not been an attempted cover-up. Well done, Bevo. -urinal cake

dukedog
01-07-2016, 10:57 AM
The guy has some serious issues. Why the hell is bevo personally at fault for the incident. He needs urinal cakes for his piss mouth.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Predictable.

Found it interesting in his earlier article that it was stated Liam Pickering didn't even know about the incident. I guess it just highlights how good we are at keeping things in-house, and indeed, that there can't be much to it. Surely if there was a lot to it, you'd let your agent know and seek advice.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 11:20 AM
So anyone who has question marks around Tom and the deal are wrong to talk about it?

If another club had done the deal we had with Tom (plus paying a significant portion of Griffen's contract, and giving up a pick 6) - and had gone on to get the same output at this point, and THEN seen the player play 2s and get in the papers for an off field incident - this forum would have plenty of snickering posts about it.

Some of the posters here are just taking a more balanced view, than the blind faith of 'Everything's ok - Tom will be great, he was a no.1 pick'.

Never said they shouldn't talk about it, just sick of hearing about his contract. His contract and what he is paid has nothing to do with his football ability.

The Pie Man
01-07-2016, 11:27 AM
This story has become quite weird

news.com.au reports that Tom was reacting to being teased about his lack of impact given his contract
HS reports that he was tying his shoe-laces and reacted when some beer was tipped on him

I agree with merantau re: if he was being ribbed about his contract, that's disappointing. I can imagine the occasional 'here's the Million Dollar Man' type of comments, but it shouldn't stray into lack of impact style gags. He's been injured after an ok start to the year, and I think most can see his potential.

Not sure why we didn't release this to the media when we found out about it???
Where did all the 'they were wrestling/skylarking/it was accidental' stories come from???

Hoping all involved - including club hierarchy - are learning some valuable lessons from this. A win tomorrow will wash all this away quick enough

bornadog
01-07-2016, 11:33 AM
oh just BF - but from a couple of very reliable posters. I don't want to go into detail here as its just hearsay at the moment, but these posters have been very reliable before. To me, it doesn't add up but i only hear things from watching tv and reading articles like most people!
B F has some real morons on there, especially those guys talking about how Bevo hates Tom and wants to trade him out.
Never heard so much rubbish in all my life.

Flamethrower
01-07-2016, 11:44 AM
B F has some real morons on there, especially those guys talking about how Bevo hates Tom and wants to trade him out.

Exactly right. Some of the things being posted over there are disgusting.
Further proof that Chinese Whispers can rip the heart out of a football club.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2016, 11:45 AM

This is what Rohan Connolly said that sparked the confrontation.

"How the exchange eventuated is still unknown but it has been reported that Boyd had been heckled by teammates regarding his poor form and massive contract".

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/06-16/rohan-connolly-beveridge-looks-silly#jyFY60UZczjpY3B5.97

bornadog
01-07-2016, 11:50 AM
This is what Rohan Connolly said that sparked the confrontation.

"How the exchange eventuated is still unknown but it has been reported that Boyd had been heckled by teammates regarding his poor form and massive contract".

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/06-16/rohan-connolly-beveridge-looks-silly#jyFY60UZczjpY3B5.97

proves nothing. A bunch of Aussies shit stirring - if true

my boss once told me " believe nothing you read and half of what you are told"

Bulldog4life
01-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Don't tell me that. I enjoy reading WOOF.:)

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Absolutely. Everyone can chose what they want to believe, but the original poster has been on the money a lot in the past and yesterday's incident wasn't the first time it has been raised. I don't believe it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Absolutely. Everyone can chose what they want to believe, but the original poster has been on the money a lot in the past and yesterday's incident wasn't the first time it has been raised. I don't believe it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it were true.
Well those guys are not true Bulldog supporters. Stuff like that only harms the club. I have been told Lots of stuff over the years, even from a friend who has been to Bevo's place for a bbq, but I would never repeat anything on a public forum. Journos would just lap it up.

I love the club and fully support Bevo, Peter and trust we are on the right track. Those guys are just trying to big note themselves and in the process giving us bad publicity

azabob
01-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Never said they shouldn't talk about it, just sick of hearing about his contract. His contract and what he is paid has nothing to do with his football ability.

His contract and what he is paid has nothing to do with football ability? Seriously?

bornadog
01-07-2016, 12:36 PM
His contract and what he is paid has nothing to do with football ability? Seriously?
Once he is employed, no it hasn't. We don't need to just keep harping on about it.
He had a contract for 7 years and now we should be discussing his progress not his contract. I don't see the point in doing so

hujsh
01-07-2016, 12:42 PM

What he is being paid has nothing to do with how he performs now. How he plays will impact future contracts but right now it's not really relevant to any meaningful conversation.

Interesting that there's several different accounts of what caused all this but the ones reported in the HS all seem to be about his contract for some reason. Almost like it's all just speculated bullshit that sounds like good drama.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-07-2016, 01:07 PM
. Almost like it's all just speculated bullshit that sounds like good drama.

"Days of our Lives"

Damian Barrett is WOOf's lovechild. Ever heard of this Jungian principle? -- The person that we hate is part of us and reflects an aspect of ourselves, our shadow side, that we dislike.
That is why we bang on about them. If they didn't matter to us, we wouldn't mention them.
Barrett to me is a media person whose job it is to create drama based on reporting. I wouldn't expect him to come up with anything original or particularly insightful and most of his audience wouldn't either. We have nothing to fear from him.
This Boyd incident doesn't have to be significant. If it's isolated, it means nothing. We do not have to be embarrassed about his contract or the fear we overpaid him. We do need to support him and make sure he doesn't feel like we resent his salary and expect blood in return.
Protect the hope, it is a valuable commodity, all too easily dissipated.

chef
01-07-2016, 01:14 PM
This story has become quite weird

news.com.au reports that Tom was reacting to being teased about his lack of impact given his contract
HS reports that he was tying his shoe-laces and reacted when some beer was tipped on him

I agree with merantau re: if he was being ribbed about his contract, that's disappointing. I can imagine the occasional 'here's the Million Dollar Man' type of comments, but it shouldn't stray into lack of impact style gags. He's been injured after an ok start to the year, and I think most can see his potential.

Not sure why we didn't release this to the media when we found out about it???
Where did all the 'they were wrestling/skylarking/it was accidental' stories come from???

Hoping all involved - including club hierarchy - are learning some valuable lessons from this. A win tomorrow will wash all this away quick enough

If this is true im kind of glad Tom dropped him. Bullying has no place anywhere, especially from team mates.

F'scary
01-07-2016, 01:38 PM
BF would have some Trolls posting.

Mantis
01-07-2016, 02:12 PM
If this is true im kind of glad Tom dropped him. Bullying has no place anywhere, especially from team mates.

But it's fine to retaliate to bullying with physical violence?.. Ok then.

chef
01-07-2016, 02:23 PM
But it's fine to retaliate to bullying with physical violence?.. Ok then.

If you're pushed far enough everyone snaps. Maybe hes just had enough and was making a stand. We just dont know do we?

Rocco Jones
01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
The defence of Tom Boyd is getting a bit sickly. Let's be honest, if he was playing for another club, the vast majority on here/our fans in general would be laughing at him.

#FirstWorld issues to the extreme when we are talking about the bullying a guy gets for earning $1 million a year to play a game. His defenders and himself might need to have a look at people with real issues. If he can't cop ribbing from his own team mates about his pay check (remember the club has placed vast majority of blame on Tom), god help him with everyone else in the footy world.

We can keep wearing our rose, blue and white coloured glasses all we like with Tom but forget about Barrett and forget about rationalising the front loading of millions. There's only one way everyone will shut up and that's when Tom Boyd starts playing good footy. As Dusty Martin has shown, when you're a gun, the rest is just background noise.

Twodogs
01-07-2016, 03:49 PM

My grandad gave me advice a bit like that. "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. That and "Never show a fool a job that's only half done." and "keep your mouth shut and your ears open" was good advice.

Ozza
01-07-2016, 04:30 PM
The defence of Tom Boyd is getting a bit sickly. Let's be honest, if he was playing for another club, the vast majority on here/our fans in general would be laughing at him.

#FirstWorld issues to the extreme when we are talking about the bullying a guy gets for earning $1 million a year to play a game. His defenders and himself might need to have a look at people with real issues. If he can't cop ribbing from his own team mates about his pay check (remember the club has placed vast majority of blame on Tom), god help him with everyone else in the footy world.

We can keep wearing our rose, blue and white coloured glasses all we like with Tom but forget about Barrett and forget about rationalising the front loading of millions. There's only one way everyone will shut up and that's when Tom Boyd starts playing good footy. As Dusty Martin has shown, when you're a gun, the rest is just background noise.

Here here!!

The double standards are outrageous!!

The Pie Man
01-07-2016, 04:31 PM

There's no winners internally from this - at least yet (if it's one of those 'the making of them' type of scenario)

I don't mean to defend Tom - my concern is that it does point to a morale/camaraderie issue with some sections of the playing group, which from what's been reported he's been the subject of. His reaction is still worthy of punishment.

I get what you're saying about people with 'real issues' but the phrasing still troubles me - this statement isn't about Tom specifically, but if someone's struggling, they're struggling.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 04:39 PM
The defence of Tom Boyd is getting a bit sickly.

No one condones what happened - Not sure why you bring this up, with words such as sickly???

If he can't cop ribbing from his own team mates about his pay check (remember the club has placed vast majority of blame on Tom), god help him with everyone else in the footy world..

How do you know he has copped a ribbing from team mates? Any evidence

27 AFL Games, 20 years old, 200cm- Proven the big guys take longer to mature. Must have patience with the guy

bulldogtragic
01-07-2016, 04:51 PM
For all the authoratative comments around Tom and what the response should be, so far I've heard:

- It was skylarking
- It was a muck around wrestle
- It was a WWE move
- It was a punch
- It was a glassing
- Nothing was said before it, and nothing about his salary
- Something was mentioned about his salary
- There was nothing to it
- The guys are still best mates
- Cordy tried to cover it up
- Bevo s talking about Tom playing AFL this week

All these rumours are very different & contradictory. Since I don't know what actually happened, can someone please tell me exactly what happened and why? I'd actually like to know.

bornadog
01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
For all the authoratative comments around Tom and what the response should be, so far I've heard:

- It was skylarking
- It was a muck around wrestle
- It was a WWE move
- It was a punch
- It was a glassing
- Nothing was said before it, and nothing about his salary
- Something was mentioned about his salary
- There was nothing to it
- The guys are still best mates
- Cordy tried to cover it up
- Bevo s talking about Tom playing AFL this week

All these rumours are very different & contradictory. Since I don't know what actually happened, can someone please tell me exactly what happened and why? I'd actually like to know.

All I know is he got drunk, Cordy got a cut some how, and the club has fined them both. Sounds like he broke club rules about drinking. Both apparently went on a holiday together last week.

End Story.

PS: - I am pissed off he is not playing this weekend at the SCG.

AndrewP6
01-07-2016, 05:21 PM

To infer that bullying doesn't happen to, or have an effect on those who are financially well off, well that's ludicrous. Yes he's getting a large amount of money to play a game, in an industry where most players are overpaid for what they actually do. But he's 20 years old, and not immune to the daily barrage of criticism he receives. I agree the best way to silence the critics is to play good footy.

Remi Moses
01-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Agree Andrew , and his salary is irrelevant to bullying .
I think we're protective as being one of our own, and the tedious tiring contract commentary .
We've all done stupid things in adolescence, and I defy anyone who hasn't . Even mature aged people make errors, and regardless of his contract it doesn't preclude him for acts of Tomfoolery ( bad pun)
Beveridge will back in his boys, and defend them like his own . Tom playing great footy will put and end to this

Remi Moses
01-07-2016, 06:29 PM
All I know is he got drunk, Cordy got a cut some how, and the club has fined them both. Sounds like he broke club rules about drinking. Both apparently went on a holiday together last week.

End Story.

The club should have responded as soon as Cordy told them what happened.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2016, 06:40 PM

They did respond to the incident, didn't they? They just didn't have the media manager ringing the press to tell them all about a matter that was handled privately within the club. I'm very sure there's a myriad of things that have happened with our players over the last year or so that has been dealt with privately in house and not offered up to the media.

Bulldog Joe
01-07-2016, 06:43 PM

End Story.

That is more than I know. All I can feel certain from the reports is that he was having a drink, but to what extent that had been I have no idea.

comrade
01-07-2016, 06:44 PM

I'm torn on this one.

We didn't exactly sit on their hands. We informed the AFL there was an incident and handed out punishment internally. It was only when someone let it slip to the media (my guess is someone at AFL HQ has a direct line to the grub, Damien Barrett) and they were about to run with it that we were forced into going public with it. I'm sure there are 100s of things that happen at clubs during any given year that get dealt with swiftly and never get aired publicly.

The mistake we made was the heavy handedness of the statement. Now this is without knowing the seriousness of the incident itself, but I would have preferred we straight batted it and said something along the lines of

"There was a minor incident between 2 good friends that resulted in one of them accidentally receiving a minor injury and we have dealt with it internally. We thank the media and in particular Damien Barrett's continued interest in our club but we consider the matter resolved and have moved on. We won't be making any further comments as we would prefer to focus on our #1 priority which is winning games of football. We look forward to our game against Sydney and the courageous return of Clay Smith. Thank you"

Instead, we were vague about the incident, spoke about violence, made a big deal of Boyd's involvement. We spoke about suspensions and fines. It just opened us up to more speculation and didn't frame the issue in positive light at all.

AndrewP6
01-07-2016, 06:55 PM

He was suspended for the Geelong game, so they mustn't have waited too long. For all we know, they acted straight away. Whether they tell everyone is their call.

GVGjr
01-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Can I ask everyone to take a deep breath and just focus on the issue as it's been reported by the club not various rumours other sources are speculating on.

We've had a day to digest this and the only things we know for sure is that two players, Tom Boyd and Zaine Cordy, had an altercation and it has been dealt with by the club.

Lets not distract the discussions on things like Damien Barrett's motivation for discrediting Boyd and the club or speculate on why the altercation occurred unless the club provides us with further details.

Yes it's disappointing that this issue has distracted our focus from our important game against the Swans or even that our membership numbers are still surging. It's essentially just an issue that two young guys at our club had an altercation and it really doesn't serve us well to speculate on why it happened.

This can be easily resolved by the club and the players.

Throughandthrough
01-07-2016, 07:32 PM
I'd love to know the fine details of Boyds contract. Is it annual payment plus match payment? And I wond if he has a no dickhead clause in his contract. One strike maybe?

ledge
01-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Ayce Cordy says they are best mates and really nothing in it, just mucking around.. I believe it's the drinking at a bar after a game is more the issue and to realise no matter where or what time It is that 24/7 they represent the club and must be on their best behaviour especially in public places.

Webby
01-07-2016, 08:09 PM
I heard from a reliable source about three months ago that T Boyd's on $1.8M this year. We couldn't pay him more than $250-300k last year (as it was explained to me), so we've played a game of "catch up and some" this year.

As a supporter, I've got no problem with Boyd's contract. He's an investment and we've now front ended a fair bit of it. However, we'd have been naive to think that his colleagues wouldn't feel a hint of jealousy, envy, resentment - whatever you want to call it.

At the end of the day, it's a minor tiff. Teammates have altercations all the time. They're competitive beasts. Largely alpha males with healthy egoes. Boyd and Cordy's issue was that they had theirs off campus. Additionally, Boyd's the "million dollar man," so the media are all over him. However he must have known that would be the case when he signed.

I'm going up to Coburg tomorrow and am keen to see how he responds. We got belted up there last year, so a strong performance and a bag from Boyd would be a handy response on a couple of fronts.

Remi Moses
01-07-2016, 08:17 PM
The club should have put it in the press as soon as they announced the sanctions .
They were always going to find out, it was only a matter of when .
Everyone's got contacts at a club, and this would have come out

hujsh
02-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Today was everything we could have hoped for to shut everyone up. Goals from Boyd and an amazing away victory against what would have been the top team.

hujsh
02-07-2016, 10:29 PM
SEE?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-02/banned-dog-fights-for-recall-with-impressive-vfl-performance

It's a redemption story now. Just like Ole' Dusty Martin

Rocco Jones
03-07-2016, 02:05 PM
There's a positive from this. Tom's only way out of pressure/negative press is performing well. If he wants to coast along collecting the big dollars, he is going to keep getting hounded and he seems to not really like that. Not sure when the incident occurred but his last two VFL games have been of high quality.

AndrewP6
05-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Just watched Footy Classified, Hutchy and Purple boasting of "the REAL story" behind the Boyd-Cordy incident. Typically pointless, bitter segment. To summarise:
The Bulldogs announced the incident before Purple had a chance to break the story, and according to Caro, that is breaking an "unwritten" rule ( unwritten in this case, meaning "doesn't exist except in Caro's deluded world"). So, Purple is dirty because he wasn't fast enough to break a story, and the Bulldogs were proactive in supporting two of their players. He is also dirty* because he doesn't know when the club imposed sanctions began, and he wants to know.

*He didn't actually say he was dirty, but it was patently obvious. He also devoted some more time (of course) the way the Bulldogs picked up Boyd, and some stuff PG said about not being involved.

A sad, pathetic, bitter man.

Move along, nothing to see here. I'm tipping Boyd to play this week.

SonofScray
05-07-2016, 12:37 AM
Just watched Footy Classified, Hutchy and Purple boasting of "the REAL story" behind the Boyd-Cordy incident. Typically pointless, bitter segment. To summarise:
The Bulldogs announced the incident before Purple had a chance to break the story, and according to Caro, that is breaking an "unwritten" rule ( unwritten in this case, meaning "doesn't exist except in Caro's deluded world"). So, Purple is dirty because he wasn't fast enough to break a story, and the Bulldogs were proactive in supporting two of their players. He is also dirty* because he doesn't know when the club imposed sanctions began, and he wants to know.

*He didn't actually say he was dirty, but it was patently obvious. He also devoted some more time (of course) the way the Bulldogs picked up Boyd, and some stuff PG said about not being involved.

A sad, pathetic, bitter man.

Move along, nothing to see here. I'm tipping Boyd to play this week.
It was a real pathetic attempt to change the narrative and try sling some mud at Bevo and Gordon, while pulling away from their unfair treatment of Boyd.

It is clear the bloke has a personal vendetta with Bevo. A case for him of 'you reap what you sow.' Beto clearly doesn't want to support the bloke in his endeavours and the Club has closed ranks on Purple. Suck it up and move on, you stuffed it Barrett. Back to waiting in bins.

Remi Moses
05-07-2016, 12:44 AM
The vindictive negativity in the media is at an all time high .
Never been worse, and the game is to top heavy for media coverage and accredited journalists .
The race to the story( the bottom of the barrel) is out of control

jeemak
05-07-2016, 12:52 AM
I slow cooked some lamb shanks and lamb neck in the kettle BBQ yesterday. It was great, but we didn't eat all of it.

I spent tonight, post my last post on here for the evening, slow cooking the left overs in preparation to make a nice pie. Purposely avoiding Footy Classified.

My pie is going to taste good tomorrow. I'll eat it knowing that I just watched the replay of our awesome win against Sydney, with my biggest worry being whether I should have mixed my home made BBQ sauce with the three or four mustard options I had at my disposal.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Just watched Footy Classified,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KJryDORMLw

comrade
05-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Still referring to a 'punch on'.

And the agenda is made clear that Barrett is pissed that we hosed down his questions then went public the day after, as if we have some sort of obligation to give him everything he wants.

Caro nearly ****ed her pants when talking about Bevo's last appearance where he smacked Barrett down and directed him to our media manager.

This was all just a vehicle to have a crack at Bevo and by extension our club, due to one peanut having his feelings hurt.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Boyd won't be back until 'the vibe's right': Beveridge (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-05/boyd-wont-be-back-until-the-vibes-right-beveridge?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Tom Boyd will be available for senior selection "when the vibe's right" following a club suspension for a drunken fight with teammate Zaine Cordy.

The Bulldogs coach faced a large media pack at his weekly press conference and said the 20-year-old's unreliable shoulder was just as likely to keep him out of Saturday night's clash with Richmond as the indefinite suspension handed to him and Cordy.

When quizzed on whether the club was trying to cover up the altercation, Beveridge defended his comments regarding Boyd's availability over the past few weeks.

"There are two things running parallel at the moment, and I don't want go over (the statement) in regards to Tom and Zaine, but it's the shoulder," Beveridge said.

"So when I said that we've got to be sure with his shoulder, we've got to be sure.

"As far as any internal sanction goes there's no set time limit on that, it's when the vibe's right really, which isn't ideal."

Boyd has put his hand up for a senior recall after kicking seven goals in his past two VFL outings in his return from a shoulder injury that hasn't seen him play senior footy since round four.

comrade
05-07-2016, 05:27 PM
And how was Hutchy when he said Boyd may still come good, as if it'll be a miracle a 20 year old KP prospect would ever improve.

I'm not a rose coloured glasses Boyd apologist and have my concerns, but I take umbrage when 3 footy media personalities like Barrett, Hutchy and Caro weigh in. They wouldn't no footy if one hit them in the face. Better off diving in bins.

Mantis
05-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Boyd won't be back until 'the vibe's right': Beveridge (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-05/boyd-wont-be-back-until-the-vibes-right-beveridge?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Tom Boyd will be available for senior selection "when the vibe's right" following a club suspension for a drunken fight with teammate Zaine Cordy.

The Bulldogs coach faced a large media pack at his weekly press conference and said the 20-year-old's unreliable shoulder was just as likely to keep him out of Saturday night's clash with Richmond as the indefinite suspension handed to him and Cordy.

When quizzed on whether the club was trying to cover up the altercation, Beveridge defended his comments regarding Boyd's availability over the past few weeks.

"There are two things running parallel at the moment, and I don't want go over (the statement) in regards to Tom and Zaine, but it's the shoulder," Beveridge said.

"So when I said that we've got to be sure with his shoulder, we've got to be sure.

"As far as any internal sanction goes there's no set time limit on that, it's when the vibe's right really, which isn't ideal."

Boyd has put his hand up for a senior recall after kicking seven goals in his past two VFL outings in his return from a shoulder injury that hasn't seen him play senior footy since round four.

I call bullshit on all of that.

The vibe - this isn't the *!*!*!*!ing Castle.

And is his shoulder any more likely to cause issues as JJ's hammy or Clay's knees? 4 games after a 6 week injury is ample time to prove he is right to go.

Treating us like fools.

comrade
05-07-2016, 05:48 PM

And is his shoulder any more likely to cause issues as JJ's hammy or Clay's knees? 4 games after a 6 week injury is ample time to prove he is right to go.

Treating us like fools.

Where's Darryl Kerrigan?

Can't understand why we don't just say he's unavailable for another X amount of games due to the Zaine scuffle and be done with it.

My only thought is if we say the suspension is for another week for example, then we still don't pick him, the scrutiny will be more intense. Who knows?

The whole handling of it has been pretty shite.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2016, 05:48 PM
And how was Hutchy when he said Boyd may still come good, as if it'll be a miracle a 20 year old KP prospect would ever improve.

I'm not a rose coloured glasses Boyd apologist and have my concerns, but I take umbrage when 3 footy media personalities like Barrett, Hutchy and Caro weigh in. They wouldn't no footy if one hit them in the face. Better off diving in bins.

If there was a list of 'bad calls' from these three it would be several times longer on paper than the senate paper on election day.

The Pie Man
05-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Caro killing herself laughing about Barrett going through the club media manager was absurd TV last night.

BUT - we do continue to conduct ourselves very strangely on this one.

We do keep winning games though.

You get the vibe (sorry) that he won't play this week - which would be a shame, as he should come in.

Axe Man
05-07-2016, 06:02 PM
In summing up, it’s the match committee, it’s Mabo, it’s the leadership group, it’s the AFL, it’s the vibe, and…no that’s it…it’s the vibe. I rest my case.
Dennis Denuto/Luke Beveridge

Ozza
05-07-2016, 06:05 PM
I think the 'vibe' is whether or not Bevo thinks he should be in the 22, or not - and that's about it.

AndrewP6
05-07-2016, 06:14 PM
I reckon the vibe will be just about cherry ripe by Saturday evening. He'll play.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2016, 06:26 PM
I think the 'vibe' is whether or not Bevo thinks he should be in the 22, or not - and that's about it.

Yep right on the money Ozza. I have full confidence in our MC to make the right decision.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Good call Andrew. It's hard to read the subtext except that Bevo doesn't want the public to understand the subtext. Good on him as long as he has an agenda that the club is behind and I'm sure they are if they know what's good for them. Hope someone writes a book about this era at the Dogs.

LostDoggy
05-07-2016, 06:37 PM
I reckon the vibe will be just about cherry ripe by Saturday evening. He'll play.

Think also what sort of "vibe" Bevo gets from the playing group especially the Leadership group to when Toyd
plays in the seniors again.

Twodogs
05-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Treating us like fools.

Where's Darryl Kerrigan?

Can't understand why we don't just say he's unavailable for another X amount of games due to the Zaine scuffle and be done with it.

My only thought is if we say the suspension is for another week for example, then we still don't pick him, the scrutiny will be more intense. Who knows?

The whole handling of it has been pretty shite.

In summing up, it’s the match committee, it’s Mabo, it’s the leadership group, it’s the AFL, it’s the vibe, and…no that’s it…it’s the vibe. I rest my case.
Dennis Denuto/Luke Beveridge

This whole thing has been like a clinic in how not to conduct public relations.

The message has been vague. The facts appear to have changed. Each time the club has released a statement the issues have got cloudier. I keep waiting for someone to jump out of a cake and yell "suprise!"

bornadog
05-07-2016, 06:44 PM
This has also put alot of unnecessary pressure on Tom and his family

See his interview about a 1min or so in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD1rkOG7QfE

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Yeah it's really poor from the club - particularly towards its supporters. They're suspended until the "vibe" is right? That's just really really poor. Disappointing. A suspension needs to be clear cut. All this is doing is making it seem like there is more going on behind the scenes.

AndrewP6
05-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Think also what sort of "vibe" Bevo gets from the playing group especially the Leadership group to when Toyd
plays in the seniors again.

Maybe they're in favour of him playing? We outsiders just don't know, and I'm fine with that.

chef
05-07-2016, 07:17 PM
I couldnt really care less if the club wants to keep it all in house. Do we really need to know everything?

Its not effecting on on field performance so it doesnt really bother me.

Twodogs
05-07-2016, 08:25 PM
I couldnt really care less if the club wants to keep it all in house. Do we really need to know everything?

I have no problem with that, I don't really care about two boys getting in a fight after having a bellyful on Saturday night.

It's more that the club were treating us like idiots.

Rocket Science
05-07-2016, 10:50 PM
I don't see the fuss frankly.

As with any player pressing for selection it's a combination of individual form, continuity, whether there's a spot based on the form of others and - in this instance - very mild attitudinal issues which appear to have been dealt with internally.

None of that's revelatory. We all assume Boyd's going to be in the squad sooner rather than later, if not imminently. I'm happy for the club to keep it vague for now to avoid feeding the increasingly agitated grubs which is exactly what I think they're doing.

Boyd will be back soon and every solid contribution he makes as we build towards finals will feel as satisfying as watching hidden footage of Bevo repeatedly flushing a loo on Brownlow night with one hand whilst helping Purple's head into the bowl with the other.

Ghost Dog
05-07-2016, 11:42 PM
You train a bunch of strapping blokes to tackle, bump and knock each other around all day. What do we expect?
I wish there was a counter voice brave enough to battle the wowsers in Melbourne media.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 11:49 PM

As Bevo said today if his kids are naughty he doesn't go and tell the neighbours.

Eastdog
06-07-2016, 12:00 AM
As Bevo said today if his kids are naughty he doesn't go and tell the neighbours.

I liked that statement.

T Boyd will be alright. His 4 goals in the VFL on the weekend is a good sign. This is a setback and a lot of players have had setbacks in the past. Tom now needs to focus fully on playing good footy and getting back into the side.

chef
06-07-2016, 06:47 AM
I have no problem with that, I don't really care about two boys getting in a fight after having a bellyful on Saturday night.

It's more that the club were treating us like idiots.

I dont see how they're treating us as idiots by trying to protect the players.

chef
06-07-2016, 06:47 AM

Yep. I loved hearing him say that. We dont need to know everything that goes on at the club

Twodogs
06-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I dont see how they're treating us as idiots by trying to protect the players.

By telling us stories that make no sense at the smallest inspection.

hujsh
06-07-2016, 11:04 AM
You train a bunch of strapping blokes to tackle, bump and knock each other around all day. What do we expect?

Reminds me of an Inside Amy Schumer sketch 'Football Town Nights' where a new football coach brings in a controversial 'no rape' rule.

"How do I get through to you boys that football isn't about rape?! It's about violently dominating anyone that stands between you and what you want! Now, you gotta get yourself into the mindset that you are gods! That you are entitled to this! That other team? They ain't just gonna lay down and give it to you! YOU GOTTA GO OUT THERE AND TAKE IT!"

Topdog
06-07-2016, 05:44 PM
By telling us stories that make no sense at the smallest inspection.

I haven't been across everything, what was this story?

Twodogs
07-07-2016, 01:01 AM
I haven't been across everything, what was this story?

The club statement in the OP is fairly vague. I had a lot more questions by the time I'd finished reading it.

craigsahibee
07-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Don't know what the big deal is really.

I was actually pleased that Tom was out having a few beers with his team mates. There's nothing wrong with that and it should happen more. A little more freedom during the year might result in a lot less bs during the "out of season" period.

For what it's worth, I too would have a crack at a mate who poured beer over me. Whilst they probably should have immediately let the club know what happened, it's hardly catastrophic and the club handled it pretty well. We have to answer to no one but ourselves.

Stefcep
08-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Wayne Carey believes the punch on was about how much Toyd is getting relative to his team mates who are outperforming him.

Why wouldn't players question why they're getting a fifth of a guys wage when he has contributed next to nothing?

bornadog
08-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Wayne Carey believes the punch on was about how much Toyd is getting relative to his team mates who are outperforming him.

Why wouldn't players question why they're getting a fifth of a guys wage when he has contributed next to nothing?

Wayne Carey picked up on a rumour early on in the piece. The incident has nothing to do with what Boyd is on and what players may or may not have been ribbing him about. Wayne is just another dickhead not checking his facts.

Mantis
08-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Wayne Carey picked up on a rumour early on in the piece. The incident has nothing to do with what Boyd is on and what players may or may not have been ribbing him about. Wayne is just another dickhead not checking his facts.

There fighting words.

azabob
08-07-2016, 03:22 PM

You appear to know what happened for certain, can you tell the rest of us?

bornadog
08-07-2016, 03:22 PM
There fighting words.

Your point?

bornadog
08-07-2016, 03:23 PM
You appear to know what happened for certain, can you tell the rest of us?

If you watched Talking footy you will see what I mean.

azabob
08-07-2016, 03:38 PM
If you watched Talking footy you will see what I mean.

I do watch talking footy. In my view Carey is one of the few media personalities that is giving Boyd time to develop.

We don't know what the facts are which makes it hard for all of us to comment with certainty. But I guess with 200 odd posts and counting on this topic, what do I know!

bornadog
08-07-2016, 03:45 PM
I do watch talking footy. In my view Carey is one of the few media personalities that is giving Boyd time to develop.

We don't know what the facts are which makes it hard for all of us to comment with certainty. But I guess with 200 odd posts and counting on this topic, what do I know!

All I can tell you it had nothing to do with his salary. Ther two guys are mates and live together and went on holiday together.

Agree on your comment about Carey, but Carey has no right to speculate about what happened on the night. Media people should only report known facts not BS.

I generally have no respect for him, but then again don't respect most media people.

hujsh
08-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I know if I was lucky enough to be playing AFL for a living and had played less than 5 games I'd be really annoyed that someone else was getting paid more than me.

Remi Moses
08-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Is this still going ?
No problem with this being in house, and I'm sure most clubs have inhouse incidents

ledge
08-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Problem with reporters now is they don't report what's happened they report what they think will make a story, they are too busy competing with each other they Report Half a story then speculate the worst possible outcome is happening.

bornadog
08-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Problem with reporters now is they don't report what's happened they report what they think will make a story, they are too busy competing with each other they Report Half a story then speculate the worst possible outcome is happening.

Investigative journalism is basically down the toilet. They would rather troll social media and get there ideas from there and then not check the facts and see if it is accurate.

EasternWest
08-07-2016, 05:30 PM

Often they'll put it on the front cover, multiple times!!!

All that aside, the rise and rise of the internet must feel like the hangman's noose tightening around trash journos necks. A bloated in house boys club because they were the keepers of the secrets, their time is running out.

Make a big name for yourself, maybe pick up a radio gig and make yourself secure. Muck raking and speculating is the way to go, because they just don't have time to wait for facts these days.

1eyedog
08-07-2016, 07:33 PM
There fighting words.

Small man syndrome?

ledge
08-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Looks like this story is now dead in the water ..
Seems to be it was just two young mates having a wrestle. Apparently the talk about pays was all rubbish.
Think the club was more upset about the drinking.
Of course when the media doesn't get the outcome it wanted it drops it..doesn't apologise or come out with the real story because there was no dramatic fall out.
Good on the club for not getting sucked in.
This club doesn't leak like a sieve.. As much as Barrett is trying his hardest to dredge up stuff

ledge
08-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Looks like this story is now dead in the water ..
Seems to be it was just two young mates having a wrestle. Apparently the talk about pays was all rubbish.
Think the club was more upset about the drinking.
Of course when the media doesn't get the outcome it wanted it drops it..doesn't apologise or come out with the real story because there was no dramatic fall out.
Good on the club for not getting sucked in.
This club doesn't leak like a sieve.. As much as Barrett is trying his hardest to dredge up stuff

LostDoggy
08-07-2016, 08:56 PM
And the only one pushing for-tell us when it happened,why it happened is that PUTRID,PURPLE,PINHEAD BARRETT.
HAHAHA Suck Shit Barrett cause you will never know and how that must burn you inside you squirmy twerp.
If you think you will ever get access to our coach,players and club ever again well let me tell you your liven on Fantasy Island Tatoo! ;)

bornadog
08-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Small man syndrome?

Who is that comment directed at?

GVGjr
09-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Do we really need to worry about Barretts vendetta against the coach and club? It just seems we are giving him too much oxygen.
For what its worth I think we should just ignore his commentary.

Twodogs
09-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Do we really need to worry about Barretts vendetta against the coach and club? It just seems we are giving him too much oxygen.
For what its worth I think we should just ignore his commentary.

Tend to think you are right. We are talking about him way too much.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Wright & Lynch kicked 5 goals each today. We need another tall defender, maybe both lads can come in with a point to prove.

chef
09-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Wright & Lynch kicked 5 goals each today. We need another tall defender, maybe both lads can come in with a point to prove.

Edit.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Sick of this fiasco.

Boyd should be playing.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Please select Boyd. Bonts as a full forward is dumb.