PDA

View Full Version : Will Eureka stadium be big enough?

Ghost Dog
04-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Full house!

Will the redeveloped Eureka Stadium be big enough to accommodate AFL-sized crowds?

That’s the burning question for the Red, White and Blue faithful as the Dogs’ membership continues to grow above 38,000 – up from 31,538 in 2014 and 35,222 in August of 2015.

Stage one of the $15 million project includes a 5000-seat grandstand, with the stadium capacity listed around 11,000.

Local Bulldogs member Ray Neville said that while he is genuinely excited about the development of Eureka Stadium and the promise of AFL points matches in Ballarat, he also has concerns over the facility’s capacity to cater for AFL home and away
crowds from 2017.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3947859/will-eureka-stadium-be-big-enough/

ledge
04-07-2016, 09:22 PM
11,000 capacity ?? That's nowhere near big enough , we would pull twice that no matter who we play.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2016, 09:27 PM
It's a bad joke if that's the long term plan. Our worst/smallest crowd this year is about double that.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Worse than Simmonds

AndrewP6
04-07-2016, 10:50 PM
If that's it, it will be a monumental failure. Hopefully there's more in store.

SonofScray
04-07-2016, 11:51 PM
I don't have great vibes about this after initially seeing it as a valuable prospect for us strategically and having an interest in the novelty of an old fashioned day at the footy against sides we draw low crowds against.

Worried about the size of the venue and access issues for members. Worried about the allure of 1 game turning into 2, turning into 3 etc. Worried about the diminished value of a membership when we play in China, Cairns, Ballarat etc. I thought the if we started to build up the membership base and make more money from it we'd do away with our wandering ways, but here we are again.

The Adelaide Connection
04-07-2016, 11:58 PM
The thing is, despite 11,000 being around half of the smallest crowd we would pull at Etihad, it will probably deliver 10x the income. I can't remember the actual figures, but it is something like we break even on around 25,000 whereas with that same crowd at Skilled Geelong make over $500k.

Am I wrong in saying the crowds in Cairns/Darwin aren't a huge deal more than this anyway?

bulldogtragic
05-07-2016, 12:00 AM
I don't have great vibes about this after initially seeing it as a valuable prospect for us strategically and having an interest in the novelty of an old fashioned day at the footy against sides we draw low crowds against.

Worried about the size of the venue and access issues for members. Worried about the allure of 1 game turning into 2, turning into 3 etc. Worried about the diminished value of a membership when we play in China, Cairns, Ballarat etc. I thought the if we started to build up the membership base and make more money from it we'd do away with our wandering ways, but here we are again.

After trying Darwin, The SCG & Canberra. Currently in Cairns. Talk of Simmonds a while back. Talk of China now. This VFL sized venue for AFL games. It's feels very adhoc and almost schizophrenic running from one idea to the next. I'd rather we pick one option of growth and just do it properly. A tiny venue in country Victoria that holds about 25% of our membership without factoring in neutrals and opposition supporters surely isn't the answer unless it can get north of 20,000+ capacity. The WO would be a better investment.

I'd much, much rather we focus on ensuring we land the Good Friday game and starting the season against Collingwood as a blockbuster game, alternating home ground status biannually. These games would be big for exposure, TV and sponsors, and also selling memberships early in the year. I can't help but feel we are spreading ourselves too thin and perhaps not on all the best long term needs and not directly or indirectly impeding this list by hocking games here and there.

FrediKanoute
05-07-2016, 01:46 AM
11,000 is a concern. That said if we are playing someone like GCS or GWS or Brisbane it may do as a venue. It would be better if it could cope with 20,000 people, but it just means the club can ticket the game and make more cash from it (surely a good thing). Better, if it means we don't play a lossmaking game at Etihad, we have the double impact of not making the loss and potentially turning a profit.

BulldogBelle
05-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Yep the only way it will work with such a small capacity is to play GC or GWS. If we play higher drawing teams there will be many unhappy supporters.

Mantis
05-07-2016, 11:03 AM
The thing is, despite 11,000 being around half of the smallest crowd we would pull at Etihad, it will probably deliver 10x the income. I can't remember the actual figures, but it is something like we break even on around 25,000 whereas with that same crowd at Skilled Geelong make over $500k.

Am I wrong in saying the crowds in Cairns/Darwin aren't a huge deal more than this anyway?

Nah, you're on the money.. But these games are played in non-traditional footy venues whereas Ballarat is only an 1hr-90min car trip away for the bulk of our supporter base.. Plus you would expect anywhere from 5-7k of locals to turn up, maybe more.

Seriously underwhelmed by this initiative unless we can get 18k+ into the ground.

Axe Man
05-07-2016, 11:05 AM
My understanding is that Ballarat will replace the interstate home games we have been playing for many years now?

If we compare the capacity of those grounds to the 11,000 at Ballarat we see they are all similar:
Cairns 13,500
Darwin 10,000
Canberra 15,000

Surely playing in Ballarat will give more members an opportunity to see the Bulldogs than playing at one those interstate venues?

I do agree that we should only play GWS or GCS there whilst the capacity is that low. There was talk of playing the Crows in Ballarat - we had 27,000 at Etihad against them this year - too many would miss out if it were held at Eureka.

LostDoggy
05-07-2016, 11:22 AM
It's a joke. In the NAB cup game played at Eureka Stadium in 2015 when we played Melbourne the crowd was approx 6000.

I'd say 4500-5000 of that would have been locals.

A home and away match would easily get those 5-6k locals fronting up (possibly more) so are we only expecting 5k of our members to turn up? Given our potential team next season I would think a more likely figure would be 15k members turning up.

Anything less than 20k and we are wasting our time.

bornadog
05-07-2016, 12:35 PM
It's a joke. In the NAB cup game played at Eureka Stadium in 2015 when we played Melbourne the crowd was approx 6000.

I'd say 4500-5000 of that would have been locals.

A home and away match would easily get those 5-6k locals fronting up (possibly more) so are we only expecting 5k of our members to turn up? Given our potential team next season I would think a more likely figure would be 15k members turning up.

Anything less than 20k and we are wasting our time.

I am not so worried as others. It will be one game in 2017 and yes many members miss out, however, if we can find 5000 plus Ballarat members in addition to our current members, our future becomes even more stable. Reading many articles, this is only stage one and more money will be spent and the capacity will increase, if it is well supported by the locals.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2016, 03:12 PM
I understood that there are 3 stages to the project. Increasing the size each time.This is only the first one. Maybe the Club will confirm this in more detail.

Eastdog
05-07-2016, 05:53 PM
11,000 isn't a big crowd capacity especially now as our membership is just increasing even more. Like TBD said we would most likely play one of the lower drawing interstate sides there but even against them the 11,000 would mean a lot of members would still miss out so this is something that needs to be considered. If we play there deep in the winter where it is freezing in Ballarat many Doggies supporters especially from across town in the metro area of Melbourne will find it difficult to make the trip. Will be interesting to see what happens further with the project.

Eastdog
05-07-2016, 05:57 PM
11,000 is a concern. That said if we are playing someone like GCS or GWS or Brisbane it may do as a venue. It would be better if it could cope with 20,000 people, but it just means the club can ticket the game and make more cash from it (surely a good thing). Better, if it means we don't play a lossmaking game at Etihad, we have the double impact of not making the loss and potentially turning a profit.

I'd say this year we aren't losing from there as our crowds have been very healthy - I think we need to get over 25K or something to make a gain. Very soon hopefully will get a better stadium deal at Etihad.

boydogs
05-07-2016, 09:15 PM
I understood that there are 3 stages to the project. Increasing the size each time.This is only the first one. Maybe the Club will confirm this in more detail.

That's my understanding as well. 11k v say GWS in year 1, then the capacity increases from there

Eastdog
05-07-2016, 09:40 PM
That's my understanding as well. 11k v say GWS in year 1, then the capacity increases from there

Yes that's what you would expect.

bornadog
21-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Eureka Stadium on track for 2017 (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-07-21/eureka-stadium-on-track-for-2017)

The Western Bulldogs are on track to play for premierships points at Eureka Stadium in 2017 after local firm Nicholson Construction won the contract to build the 11,000 seat venue.

The firm will work with Melbourne firm, Peddle Thorp Architects, to deliver the project, including:

- Upgrading change rooms and match-day facilities to AFL standard

- Upgrading stadium seating, providing public shelters, toilets for all-abilities access, catering and food beverage facilities and ticketing infrastructure

- Improving lighting around the main oval and providing a video and electronic scoreboard

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer David Stevenson said, “this announcement is just another exciting step towards playing for premiership points in Ballarat next season.”

“We’re thrilled to see the construction of Eureka Stadium beginning to come to life and look forward to seeing the progress of this important development, into next year.”

Jaala Pulford, the Minister for Regional Development said that it was an exciting time for Ballarat.

“With the announcement of Nicholson Construction as the construction partner for the Eureka Stadium project, the redevelopment is on track for the Western Bulldogs to play in 2017.”

The revitalised stadium will boast 5,000 undercover seats and will also cater for international acts and tournaments.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2016, 11:13 PM
So Cairns & Ballarat next year. I thought we were trying to sell less games, not more.

S Coast Simon
22-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Does anyone know if there is standing room as well. They keep saying 11,000 seat stadium and sometimes that is seated only and there is more standing room.

gohardorgohome
22-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Eureka Stadium is in a windswept industrial area on the outskirts of Ballarat.

To me it seems like a waste of taxpayers money for one or two games a year.

The QEO in Bendigo is the best potential AFL venue in country Victoria I have been to.

Bendigo Footy League Grand Finals remind me so much about the suburban Ground experience.

It would have been a much better option in my opinion.

ledge
23-07-2016, 12:44 PM
We have to be playing GC there next year or it wouldn't accomodate any other clubs supporters .i dont think they planned in our quick rise up the ladder and supporter base growth at all .. Also the amount of people Around the area who will go just because it's for points , Ballarat and surrounding areas are huge football fans

comrade
23-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Eureka Stadium is in a windswept industrial area on the outskirts of Ballarat.

To me it seems like a waste of taxpayers money for one or two games a year.

The QEO in Bendigo is the best potential AFL venue in country Victoria I have been to.

Bendigo Footy League Grand Finals remind me so much about the suburban Ground experience.

It would have been a much better option in my opinion.

Might be a better venue but it's not a better fit for extending our reach into Western Victoria which is the priority.

And everyone knows Ballarat > Bendigo ;)

bulldogtragic
23-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Might be a better venue but it's not a better fit for extending our reach into Western Victoria which is the priority.

And everyone knows Ballarat > Bendigo ;)

Oh no you didn't. :D

Mofra
23-07-2016, 01:22 PM
We have to be playing GC there next year or it wouldn't accomodate any other clubs supporters .i dont think they planned in our quick rise up the ladder and supporter base growth at all .. Also the amount of people Around the area who will go just because it's for points , Ballarat and surrounding areas are huge football fans
I'd imagine we have one more Cairns game against GCS next year as only one Ballarat game is scheduled.

Year after we'll have two so probably tge expansion teams then

Remi Moses
23-07-2016, 03:27 PM
If we play Gold Coast in Ballarat in July there is a pretty reasonable chance they might give us a walkover .

LostDoggy
18-06-2017, 05:38 PM
I will chime in here as there has been much discussion and a lot of misconceptions on this issue. The ground was initially constrained to 11,000 because yes, they could have built up bigger spectator mounds to accommodate more standing room, but a crowd larger than 11,000 would have strained existing parking capacity, tested public transport as there is no station nearby, and it would have meant placing considerable temporary toilets, mobile food services and other amenities for the first game. The $15.2 million initially allocated could only build so much, and the real figure for Stage 1 is actually closer to around $19 million. The moneys spent so far:

- Rebuilt the ovals
- Installed new lights
- Has seen a 50 square metre video scoreboard erected
- Reconstruction of the front of the existing pavilion
- Creation of a 3500 seat grandstand with full broadcast and coaching suites
- Creation of a 1500 seat covered terrace
- Building of a main ticketing office
- Temporary creation of a 4000 capacity earth terrace
- Existing standing area under old scoreboard upgraded.

A bargain really.

Yes the ground will be enlarged in the future with the addition of a further 8000 undercover seats (Stages 2 and 3). Stage 3 will deliver a final seated capacity around 15,000. Further provision is made with the design of the new eight row deep eastern terrace to remove the roof and back and to extend rearward and add a further 2000 undercover seats. To expand the ground any further beyond that point would involve demolition or extensive rebuilding of the existing social club and that would be expensive.

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/18237858_1327951040574350_1104025668810887471_o_zpslpftppdf. jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/18238849_1327951043907683_8757554463856699645_o_zpsdnffy5be. jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/DBgwEeUVYAAu7B_zps3i4xtlgu.jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/19113573_1058793667585574_3777735539083312542_n_zpsgcf7j1b3. jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/19221446_1370715826297871_2771716201964136514_o_zpsocskqgvg. jpg

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/18835506_1553368878030951_2108464702329730489_n_zpsgfd48r2x. jpg

LostDoggy
22-06-2017, 01:49 AM
As an addendum to my previous post. Unlike other major infrastructure projects in Melbourne where the government committed and ended up massively over spending such as Federation Square (that blew out by $600 million), the Melbourne Museum (which blew out by $50 million), City Link (which blew out by over $1 billion). When you build in the country, you are building to match council budgets. The ongoing development of Eureka Stadium will need to be matched by significant capitol works around the ground. The State Government are primarily funding the building of the stadium, but it's the Ballarat Council who will ultimately fund everything else from carparking, roads and pathways. There is an old saying that "Rome wasn't built in a day", and neither should we expect to snap our fingers and expect this ground to be. It will be developed over time in line with City Budgets (so as not to piss-off the highly militant local Ballarat rate-payers).

There is still quite a bit to be built up around this ground to make it truly first class. The list includes (in no particular order):

- rebuilding Creswick Road (the Midland Highway) to a dual carriageway
- building car parks for at least 2000 cars
- building an 'Events Day' train platform adjacent to the ground on the Maryborough rail line
- building footpaths and pedestrian walkways around the ground
- upgrading existing lighting to AFL/cricket broadcast standard
- building bus parking and drop zones
- building additional covered grandstand seating to accommodate up to 10000 more spectators.

And the list goes on. The biggest issue or constraint to the Stadium's further expansion are these things. It's not a question of how big can the ground be built, but more a question of the current infrastructure constraining it.

Twodogs
23-06-2017, 07:15 AM
It looks really good. It has a bit of British soccer ground feel to it with that pavilion around the wing. I like it.

LostDoggy
24-06-2017, 10:18 AM
A video update from yesterday showing Eureka Stadium as it nears completion of its first stage:

https://youtu.be/qkBCgS8FBfs

Two screen grabs from the above video:

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/es1_zpszqzx1ycp.png

http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/aquarianone1/es_zpsz6uod9we.png

LostDoggy
30-06-2017, 05:27 PM
Eureka Stadium now officially 'Mars Stadium':

Local Ballarat international confectionery giant 'Mars' has been announced as the new naming rights sponsor of Eureka Stadium in Ballarat. The newly-renovated venue, which will host its first AFL game in round 22, is now known as Mars Stadium.

Axe Man
30-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Port Adelaide are certainly going to be well traveled - China and Mars in the one season!

Scraggers
30-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Port Adelaide are certainly going to be well traveled - China and Mars in the one season!

Boom Tish ... Try the veal; I'm here 'til Thursday :p