PDA

View Full Version : AFL Premiership Race Power Rankings

Rocco Jones
05-07-2016, 03:36 AM
Has there ever been a tighter, more open race for the flag? The final eight looks set, so to be polite I am going through all eight sides but only think 6 are a realistic chances.

#1 Cats
Yes they drop 'easy' games but in such an even comp, I am looking at how sides go against the best. The Cats have won their last 5 against Top 8 opposition. Currently in 2nd, I predict them to stay in the top 2. Would mean not having to leave Victoria. They play the Swans, Crows and Dogs at Simmonds. Massive. Three 8 point games at home.

#2 GWS
GWS at Spotless > anyone, anywhere. Currently in 3rd and they have a soft draw. I predict them to finish top 2. Spotless QF and PF would be a virtual red carpet to the Grand Final. Inexperience, especially at the MCG, could be very telling.

#3 Hawks
Looks nuts to have top of the ladder Hawthorn in 3rd but bare with me. Their low percentage makes winning and losing a massive game of snakes and ladders. A couple of difficult road trips against Sydney and West Coast (You can add Port too). They are also 0-3 vs Top 4 sides this season. I see them finishing outside the top 2 (massive if drawn against interstate side). They will probably have too much composure against 2nd tier gun sides but think the truly elite will be a bit too much for the old champs.

Upside is they could finish 3rd/4th and get 'away' final at the MCG. Luck so massive in such a tight race.

#4 Swans
Been there, done that element hard to resist but loss to Dogs massive. Means they are a game off top 2 and chance to drop out of top 4 altogether. Injury to Kurt Tippett really, really hurts.

Like the Hawks they can be drawn in an away/neutral final if they finish finish 3rd/4th and are drawn against the Giants.

#5 Crows
That forward line can cause issues for even if they have to travel against elite opposition. Percentage means they are probably a game away fro top 2 but have a soft draw. I think they really need to finish top 2 to be a strong chance though as they don't have Hawks/Swans advantage of possibly not having to travel.

#6 Bulldogs
Like the Starks in the Battle of the Bastards, it's great to have added cavalry arriving. Like the Hawks, our low percentage means we need to win an extra game. I see us as either finishing top 2 or 5-6 due to snakes and ladders way of our having high/lower percentage. If our 22 is near full strength, we are in with a shot. Landing 'away' MCG final in QF or PF would be nice!

#7 North
Have runs on the board but soft draw now as hard as it gets. Injuries also hurting them. With lots of luck, they could find themselves in a series of 'away' MCG finals but even them, do not rate them vs the best.

#8 Eagles
Traveling ain't easy.

azabob
05-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Well summed up Rocco. Agree on the GWS at home comments, I think only the Crows have the team to beat GWS at home due to their scoring ability and midfield mix. Still a bit would have to go right for them to win.

It will be an interesting finals series and I wonder how a top four team will go with having a bye, playing, bye, preliminary final? They potentially lose their advantage by having a week off when all clubs get a week off before the before finals.

westdog54
05-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I hate to say it but you're right about GWS. The MCG is the only thing standing between them and a flag.

ratsmac
05-07-2016, 09:38 AM
I hate to say it but you're right about GWS. The MCG is the only thing standing between them and a flag.

I'm glad that the grand final is played at the G :p

bornadog
05-07-2016, 09:48 AM
I wonder how a top four team will go with having a bye, playing, bye, preliminary final? They potentially lose their advantage by having a week off when all clubs get a week off before the before finals.

Once more the AFL didn't think about the consequences of changing things. Knee jerk reaction to Freo and NOrth resting players.

Great Summary Rocco and like you I think we have the potential to finish 2nd or 5/6th depends on beating a Geelong or North.

On Hawthorn, I think this week will tell us a bit, playing Port. I think if Port can beat them and if they do, Hawks will finish outside the 4.

LostDoggy
05-07-2016, 11:51 AM
I would back us in against GWS in a final at any ground. Give me them before Adelaide or Sydney at home any day of the week.

Twodogs
05-07-2016, 12:29 PM
I would back us in against GWS in a final at any ground. Give me them before Adelaide or Sydney at home any day of the week.

Agreed. GWS are fantastic when the game is played on their terms but when the game goes against them they are easy to score against.

Remi Moses
05-07-2016, 01:16 PM
We played GWS with a fair few out .
Very interesting if we get them again

Rocco Jones
05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
We played GWS with a fair few out .
Very interesting if we get them again

Yeah for sure. I think sides are so close that wins on the board, the difficulty of the draw and how the finals fixturing pans out will be massive.

Sitting in 6th at the moment, get ourselves into the top 4 and we are right in it for sure.

boydogs
05-07-2016, 09:48 PM
We'll replace the Hawks in the top 4 now that we have beaten Sydney. We'll lose 1-2 more, Hawthorn 2-3

Adelaide are overrated but West Coast are underrated, they haven't been able to get their away form going but their best is as good as anyone's

azabob
05-07-2016, 09:52 PM
We'll replace the Hawks in the top 4 now that we have beaten Sydney. We'll lose 1-2 more, Hawthorn 2-3

Adelaide are overrated but West Coast are underrated, they haven't been able to get their away form going but their best is as good as anyone's

How do you explain Adelaide comprehensively beating West Coast in Perth then?

boydogs
05-07-2016, 10:51 PM
How do you explain Adelaide comprehensively beating West Coast in Perth then?

Bad game. They're the only interstate side to get within 10 goals of West Coast in Perth this year

Twodogs
06-07-2016, 12:00 AM
Bad quarter really. Didn't Adelaide double their score in the last quarter.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2016, 10:39 PM
What a difference a week makes this season? Swans vs Hawks seems winner get my premiership favouritism.

▲#1 Swans
Massive win vs the Cats away. Gets them to top 2, where I think they will stay.

▲#2 Hawks
0-3 vs top 4 only thing keeping them from #1 ranking. Spot is their's if they beat the Swans Thursday night.

▲#3 Crows
In 3rd with an easy fixture. Feel they need to finish top 2 to be a massive shot. Game in 2 weeks away vs Cats will be massive.

▼#4 Cats
Huge loss vs Swans. So long for being my flag favourite.

▲#5 Dogs
It wasn't pretty but we won.

▼#6 GWS
Mega loss to the Pies at home. Looked set for top 2 with an easy draw.

▲#7 Eagles
in 5th now but we all know how good they are at Subi. Most prove themselves away.

▼#8 North
Injuries + tough fixture killing them/finding them out.