PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 17 2016 vs Gold Coast Suns

Eastdog
05-07-2016, 09:31 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 17 2016 match against Gold Coast Suns at Cazalys Stadium, Cairns?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
09-07-2016, 09:43 PM
All aboard for our trip to Cairns.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Out: Gary Ablett Jnr (injured) - In: Jarrad Grant

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Stringer out.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Dickson and Jong, please.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Ins: Tom Boyd, Zaine Cordy
Outs: Tom Liberatore (inj), Dickson (omit)

We need another tall forward and tall defender for GCS. Dickson seems out of nick, just time to go and dominate the VFL to come back. Campbell for Roughead maybe too.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2016, 11:16 PM
I didn't think Dicko had a great game but he did alright in the stats dept.

Webb I think has had two goes at it now and he's just not physical or quick enough to get involved enough in the game.

May need another tall defender against the tall suns but then the warmer weather might mean more runners are required.

bornadog
09-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Stringer out.
You were saying

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 11:20 PM
You were saying

Yes I was. Lax running, dropped easy marks, missing targets, letting tackles go early and generally not doing any of the basics right. I'm very happy he kicked clutch goals and got his set shots, but I can't ignore some of the garbage. But he can stay in.

Ghost Dog
09-07-2016, 11:37 PM
I like what Biggs offers us but he gifted Richmond goals tonight. Was really unhappy but should be given another chance.
Is Hamling really that far behind Fletcher Roberts? Fletch did well to stop Riewoldt but at times he looks really lost.
Hopefully Luke can cover the loss of Libba.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Keep Clay Smith in, he just about covers for Libba.
In: Tom Boyd for crying out loud.
Out: Liberatore (suspected broken bone).

josie
09-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Out
Webb, Libba

In
Boyd - please MC, the vibe is we need to give him a go to improve our forward structure & Honeychurch

Would love to bring in Campbell or Will as a I think Rough cannot play sole main Ruck, however not to sure whom to drop. Tempted to bring in Hamling for Roberts however I do not think they will.

Mantis
09-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Webb isn't being used well, but hasn't had an impact.. Either his role changes or he goes out.

Libba an obvious one.

Lots of players playing below their best, but most will get another go.

Need to add some height at both ends.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2016, 12:52 AM
In: T Boyd/Minson, Honeychurch
Out: Libba (inj), Webb

SlimPickens
10-07-2016, 12:57 AM
In Boyd, Honeychurch,
Out: Webb, Libba

bornadog
10-07-2016, 01:00 AM
What I would like to do, but won't happen

In Boyd, Hamling

Out: Libba Webb

GVGjr
10-07-2016, 01:17 AM
In: T Boyd/Minson, Honeychurch
Out: Libba (inj), Webb

Minson in the mix? Doesn't that fly against previous comments?

Rocco Jones
10-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Minson in the mix? Doesn't that fly against previous comments?

Yes it does. I was wrong. Whilst Minson isn't ideal as the 2nd ruck, it's not like the 22nd picked who is primarily an inside mid but having to play elsewhere is doing much for us. It's a bit of a cycle. Pick next best inside mid from Footscray, play him mostly forward, he struggles, try another guy.

I really, REALLY hope the vibe is right and we play the one guy we have who is suited to the 2nd ruck role.

Remi Moses
10-07-2016, 01:25 AM
In Boyd ( enough time out ) Dunkley
Out Libba Webb ( gotta show more urgency )

GVGjr
10-07-2016, 01:27 AM
Yes it does. I was wrong. Whilst Minson isn't ideal as the 2nd ruck, it's not like the 22nd picked who is primarily an inside mid but having to play elsewhere is doing much for us. It's a bit of a cycle. Pick next best inside mid from Footscray, play him mostly forward, he struggles, try another guy.

I really, REALLY hope the vibe is right and we play the one guy we have who is suited to the 2nd ruck role.

Thanks for the clarification, you had me confused but this is a great explanation.

boydogs
10-07-2016, 01:42 AM
I thought the defense worked well, Roberts was pretty good and Wood & Morris were great. The forward line lacked a tall target at times and the Richmond mids got first use a bit from their ruck dominance. Tom Campbell would have helped us a lot, I would bring him in for Libba and if need be play Smith or Jong in the middle more

Webby
10-07-2016, 01:52 AM
In Boyd ( enough time out ) Dunkley
Out Libba Webb ( gotta show more urgency )

Did you go to the twos today, Remi?

I'm a Boyd fan, but he was ordinary... Although, we need to play him. Tonight was the night to play him.. So on that basis, you might be right.

Remi Moses
10-07-2016, 01:55 AM
I thought Dunkley was terrific, and honey got a lot of ball, but boy his decision making and execution was ordinary .
Minson could come in, but I think Roughy deserves a few shots at least .

ledge
10-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Minson in, he is big and strong, honeychurch in, does what he wants at VFL. Deserves more games.
Dunkley in.
Out Libba, Webb and Roberts.
I know Minson doesn't play back but Roughead can.
Was Campbell injured? Didn't see him at all in the reserves or senior games.

ledge
10-07-2016, 08:11 AM
We missed Campbell today, either forward /back or rucking we missed him

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-07-2016, 08:34 AM
We missed Campbell today, either forward /back or rucking we missed him

Campbell and Roughead is still by far our best ruck combination. A bad error today by the MC to go with just Roughy which almost cost us the game.

The Underdog
10-07-2016, 09:40 AM
In: Boyd, Dunkley
Out: Libba, Webb

Jong and Dickson are right on the verge if there's other options to come in

ledge
10-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Apparently Campbell got injured at training. No idea what it is though

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-07-2016, 10:36 AM
He's disappeared didn't play for Footscray not on injury list

Pickenitup
10-07-2016, 10:41 AM
In Minson Boyd
Out libba Webb
We need roughy down back

Go_Dogs
10-07-2016, 10:49 AM
In Boyd, Honeychurch,
Out: Webb, Libba

I agree with these changes.

Boyd needs an opportunity to get some games before finals.

Honey was stiff to miss after he played a very good game first up.

I'm at a loss with Webb. We've been trialling him as a midfielder and making him learn that role, but he hasn't spent time in that role since being promoted. Let's get him back to VFL to get some more development.

Libba looks like he'll miss a few weeks, sadly.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-07-2016, 12:13 PM
We are still struggling to select the right combination. Minson's poor game against Sydney should rule him out with Campbell to take his rightful place in the ruck. It really comes down to a choice between Boyd and Redpath at FF. After two ordinary games it might be time to replace Big Jack. Webb is more developed and stronger than Dunkley at this stage and should retain his place. Libba is a huge loss as is Dahlhaus whose presence is sadly missed.
In. Campbell and Boyd
Out. Redpath and Liberatore (inj)

bulldogtragic
10-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Who plays on Lynch (199cm & 100kg) & Wright (203cm & 100kg)? They had 20 combined marks and 10 combined goals yesterday. I tend to think we need another tall defender.

In the TAC game at Simmonds in 2014 Zaine blanketed Wright to no goals in the first half when there was a team defence. Wright kicked 4 or 5 in the second half when there was absolutely no pressure on the kickers inside 50. With what our midfield and team defence can do, Zaine may be a great option to help out the defence playing on Wright. With Wood doing the intercept thing and Morris there if needed/or on someone more like his size.

GVGjr
10-07-2016, 01:12 PM
While I know he won't be dropped but I'm becoming frustrated with the lapses of form with Suckling. If we had some more coming back from injuries I'd be giving him a reminder of VFL footy.
Jong and Dickson aren't as productive as they should be either.

This wont happen but I would look at:
In: Honeychurch, T.Boyd and Hamling
Out: Liberatore, Redpath and Webb

Ghost Dog
10-07-2016, 01:16 PM
While I know he won't be dropped but I'm becoming frustrated with the lapses of form with Suckling. If we had some more coming back from injuries I'd be giving him a reminder of VFL footy.

Fletcher Roberts. Is he good enough to handle Lynch or Wright?
Hamling seems a better body on body player to me. I'd like to see him come in.

GVGjr
10-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Fletcher Roberts. Is he good enough to handle Lynch or Wright?
Hamling seems a better body on body player to me. I'd like to see him come in.

He has to be. Roberts is going along OK and I didn't really consider suggesting his name to be dropped.

Smads57
10-07-2016, 02:38 PM
There are some suggestions in previous posts around Hamling coming back in, but he has been a bit all over the shop in the VFL over the last 4 weeks - mainly because he is being played both fwd and back. Not sure I would look to him to assist the defence against Lynch and Wright. Roberts stays in for mine.

Another player who I think is being mucked around a bit is Webb. He dominated a couple of VFL games prior to his elevation playing mainly mid with short stints fwd, whereas last night he was only played fwd. I'd like to see him given some midfield time next week with Libba out for us to see what he can do.

Honeychurch's better games for the AFL side last year was as a small defensive fwd (role taken up by Smith over the last two weeks). I'd like to see him given that opportunity in the firsts again soon. I agree his VFL disposal efficiency is 'ordinary' while playing midfield but would not see that being as exposed as a defensive fwd in the AFL side.

Jong concerns me around his ability to dispose of the ball quickly once he gets a hold of it. I thought i seen him win a lot of hard ball last night (and in the game against Sydney), but failed to pass it off quick enough, instead being caught and causing a ball up. Watching Hawthorn play, he might be better off just trying to 'push' the ball fwd instead. I do love his hardness however.

I have watched a number of VFL games focussing on Boyd. Yesterday, as with a number of times in recent games, the delivery into the VFL fwd line was ordinary and as a big man, we get no advantage from his size. I'd like to see how things might progress in that facet of his game playing with the AFL group.

In Boyd, Honeychurch
Out Libba Jong

F'scary
10-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Out: Webb (ineffective as a forward and no other spot for him in the team)
In: Boyd (can't do any worse than Webb as a forward)

Out: Libba (inj)
In: Hamling (additional tall for backline, frees JJ for midfield)

Out: Jong (form is below par)
In: Honeychurch (will get as many possessions, possibly more, better user of the ball)

A number of guys must be close to being dropped but survive my cull this week due to lack of suitable replacements.

Hotdog60
10-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Out: Jong (Webb moves Upfield), Libba (inj)
In: Boyd, Dunkley ( think his a better user than HC )

If there no Ablett and Rischitelli hopefully we can control the centre and limit the forward entries.
Malceski may also come under scrutiny of the MRP.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-07-09/is-malceski-in-trouble

Rocco Jones
10-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Beveridge's press conference comments are interesting to draw inferences from in terms of team selection.

He made two comments that drew my attention..
- Having one ruckman won't be our template
- No one from the VFL demanded selection

My guess is that we will bring in Will or Tom Boyd for Libba and that's it (not saying I agree with it). Hopefully they will give Webb more midfield time replacing some of Libba's minutes.

jeemak
10-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Is it the odd clanger and defencive lapse that's frustrating you with Suckling? I'm not the closest of watchers when it comes to other teams, but his form and or these types of lapses aren't hugely different that what he's dished up in the past.

Last night I thought he was just OK, not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger given he's seemingly of the habit of putting a really good performance together every few weeks.

GVGjr
10-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Is it the odd clanger and defencive lapse that's frustrating you with Suckling? I'm not the closest of watchers when it comes to other teams, but his form and or these types of lapses aren't hugely different that what he's dished up in the past.

Last night I thought he was just OK, not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger given he's seemingly of the habit of putting a really good performance together every few weeks.

The frustrating thing for me is that he is highly regarded for his kicking skill but still manages to make too many errors. In the open and given time to thump it forward he will do well. Need him to link up well with this team mates in more pressured situations he falls a bit short. I just expect more from him because he is a senior and skillful player. To me he is trying to do the flashy things rather than playing the percentages.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Not sure about the extra tall defender. I do not think it is as simple as just adding height. We have the second best points against in the league, conceding an average of 74 points per game. Something is going right there and it's our team defence style. Adding another 'tall' guy might be re-assuring in a particular match up but that's not how our defence works.

There is a limit to how many 'defenders' we can play and playing another tall will rob us elsewhere. Let's have a look at our structure down back...
High defenders/runner= JJ, Suckling
Intercept markers= Wood, M Boyd
Versatile defender= Morris (better than our talls at playing tall), Biggs
Tall defender= Roberts

That's 7 spots which after rotations is just about completes defensive spots.

IF we are to play an extra tall, we will need to find minutes up the ground for Biggs or Suckling.

Not saying it is the right/wrong thing to do, just that a defensive unit can be a delicate ecosystem.

Rocco Jones
10-07-2016, 05:14 PM
As much as I am pro Beveridge's versatility mantra, we are playing at least one (probably two) too many midfield types are who are forced to fit in elsewhere. Jong and Webb prime examples. They aren't really getting the ball much and as a by product, not really offering us extra run. Jong at least gets a few tackles and can compete in a marking contest but we might as well play one more tall.

I think Toby McLean's value to the side exceeds his current individual ability. He is a forward first but can push up the ground, guys we are trying forward are the wrong way around. Toby being out vicariously compounds loss of Crameri.

boydogs
10-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Rocco with 3 of the best posts on our setup you will see

Out: Libba
In: T Boyd

boydogs
10-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Heavy rain forecast for Saturday in Cairns

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Bugger I was looking forward to some sun (no pun intended)

Remi Moses
11-07-2016, 01:40 AM
It's wet up there at night any way . It's a heavy duew every night

Mantis
11-07-2016, 09:00 AM
In - Hamling, Boyd
Out - Libba, Webb

Long way to go, but we really need to be thinking about our defensive set-up for the finals.. I think we need to play 2 of Roberts, Adams and Hamling. If that means one of the flankers drops out or moves up the field so be it.

Our use of the ball going forward isn't going to change.. It is what it is.. We either structure up to compete for long high balls or we continue to be a trampoline.

bornadog
12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Bevo Press Conference.

* Libba unlikely to play - if it was in Melbourne then would have been considered.

* We're all looking forward to seeing Tom Boyd back. It's either this week or next.

* We've beaten some good sides in recent times but we're always striving to score more. It's a work in progress.

* With Marcus Adams out, We might take Kieran Collins up with us to Cairns this weekend.

* Anyone that ends up making the finals are a chance. We're just trying to improve.

* We're not concerned about the weather forecast this weekend but it'll change the game. But it won't impact selection.

comrade
12-07-2016, 04:28 PM
So no Tom Libba or Boyd this week?

With Ablett and Rischa out, and Prestia under a cloud, we need to punish them through the midfield. If it rains, lock in Smith to have a field day.

bornadog
12-07-2016, 04:36 PM
So no Tom Libba or Boyd this week?

With Ablett and Rischa out, and Prestia under a cloud, we need to punish them through the midfield. If it rains, lock in Smith to have a field day.

I took it as Boyd will go up. Looks like he is considering DAD as well.

bornadog
12-07-2016, 04:37 PM
In: Boyd, Collins

jeemak
12-07-2016, 04:41 PM
I would be staggered if we replaced two smaller players with two tall players given the weather forecast. Sure, Bevo says the weather won't affect selections but I call BS on that.

Honey for Libba, and Dunkley for Webb are the changes I'd make.

ledge
12-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Find it hard to consider Boyd in bad weather otherwise I would be picking him

comrade
12-07-2016, 04:51 PM
I would be staggered if we replaced two smaller players with two tall players given the weather forecast. Sure, Bevo says the weather won't affect selections but I call BS on that.

Honey for Libba, and Dunkley for Webb are the changes I'd make.

I don't mind the Honey call as he has some forward nous and can at least have nuisance value inside 50. We have so many inside mids already in the side that can chew up Libba's minutes that adding another (Dunkley) seems like overkill.

I'd go Boyd & Honey for Webb and Libba.

Even if it rains, Boyd has value as a ruck option and up forward can at least create contests for the smalls to clean up.

Ozza
12-07-2016, 05:01 PM
I think you need to pick a 2nd ruckman regardless. Wet weather will likely result in more stoppages and a big load for the rucks.

If there is a concern about going in too tall - I'd be more inclined for Boyd to replace Redpath for this week, and then play both of them the following week v St.Kilda.

LostDoggy
12-07-2016, 05:08 PM
"we're ready to get one of the bigs in again"

Boyd will come in. I don't think we need Collins, especially if it's wet.

Would like to fit Dunkley in, I think the conditions will suit him.

1eyedog
12-07-2016, 05:10 PM
I'd like HC in for Webb purely based on expected conditions.

FrediKanoute
12-07-2016, 05:15 PM
An extra tall is a must, especially if it is a ruck so that means either Minson or Boyd - take you pick as to who comes out.

At ground level, if Libba isn't playing then its a small and I would go with Honeychurch as the next best small.

Mantis
12-07-2016, 05:19 PM
From how everyone is making it out one would think that they're expecting a deluge.

Weather forecast suggests otherwise:

19-26
90% chance of rain, 1-5mm

So they might get a few showers, but not enough to warrant changing the way we are selected or play.

Axe Man
12-07-2016, 05:56 PM
From how everyone is making it out one would think that they're expecting a deluge.

Weather forecast suggests otherwise:

19-26
90% chance of rain, 1-5mm

So they might get a few showers, but not enough to warrant changing the way we are selected or play.

BOM forecast is even better than that:

Min 18 Max 26
Mostly sunny day. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Light winds.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 3 mm

Most of the rain is supposed to be on Thursday and Friday.

Happy Days
12-07-2016, 06:15 PM
I think Boyd plays anyway. A big part of why our forward line is less effective this year that isn't related to that fat idiot Crameri not playing is our ability to score from stoppages inside 50 has been greatly diminished - I vaguely recall hearing we'd gone from near to the top to near the bottom in scoring from chains started inside our own 50 (IIRC this was the main reason we all loved the "men of mayhem" so much). Redpath and his one trick pony-ish game is not helping; he just doesn't bring the ball to ground enough. Boyd does, so pick him, and hope the guys at his feet either win the ball or tie it up so he can tap it out to them from the ball up. I like the idea of HC in for similar reasons.

In: Boyd, Honeychurch
Out: Redpath, Liberatore

Would also not hate but not really be overly fussed by Webb for Dunkley.

hujsh
12-07-2016, 06:45 PM
I think Boyd plays anyway. A big part of why our forward line is less effective this year that isn't related to that fat idiot Crameri not playing is our ability to score from stoppages inside 50 has been greatly diminished - I vaguely recall hearing we'd gone from near to the top to near the bottom in scoring from chains started inside our own 50 (IIRC this was the main reason we all loved the "men of mayhem" so much). Redpath and his one trick pony-ish game is not helping; he just doesn't bring the ball to ground enough. Boyd does, so pick him, and hope the guys at his feet either win the ball or tie it up so he can tap it out to them from the ball up. I like the idea of HC in for similar reasons.

What brought that on?

Rocco Jones
12-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Reading Bevo's comments...

In: Tom Boyd, Collins

Happy Days
12-07-2016, 08:17 PM
What brought that on?

With love as always man.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Actually listened to Beveridge's presser. He indicates that he would like to play another 2nd ruck forward and tall defender if they are good enough.

Said Collins will travel with the side 'just in case'. Said we won't be taking a very big side in.

I am now thinking
In- Tom Boyd
Out- Libba

Collins traveling emergency

jeemak
12-07-2016, 08:29 PM
I thought it was going to rain more. Like, a tropical vibe.

If not, then I'm happy with Honey and Boyd replacing Liberatore and Webb.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2016, 08:42 PM
I thought it was going to rain more. Like, a tropical vibe.

If not, then I'm happy with Honey and Boyd replacing Liberatore and Webb.

With some sun shining it's more like a golden shower.

jeemak
12-07-2016, 08:45 PM
With some sun shining it's more like a golden shower.

Jesus Christ.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2016, 09:00 PM
From Beveridge's press conference it seems like he would have played Hamling if not for a slight injury.

Ghost Dog
12-07-2016, 09:00 PM
I'd like us to go in small, if weather is going to play a part, protect our talls from injury. Bigger fish to fry.
In his press conference Bevo said nobody was really knocking down the door. Is this a bit ungracious to Honeychurch? He seems to have been doing quite well at VFL level.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2016, 09:38 PM
I'd like us to go in small, if weather is going to play a part, protect our talls from injury. Bigger fish to fry.
In his press conference Bevo said nobody was really knocking down the door. Is this a bit ungracious to Honeychurch? He seems to have been doing quite well at VFL level.

I took it as no one knocked down the door in the last game rather than longer term in the VFL.

1eyedog
14-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Agree vehemently with everything you've said.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 10:50 AM
So no Ablett, Rischitelli or Prestia for the suns. There's no reason we shouldn't win this won comfortably.

Mofra
14-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Ungracious to Dunkley I would have thought - 17 tackles wasn't it from a teenager? That's huge.

The Underdog
14-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Once it hits twilight it's pretty slippery regardless up there plus the players sweating due to the humidity so a light shower shouldn't make a huge difference on selection. One way or the other we need another tall/2nd ruck. Boyd is my preference but if he's not ready then it probably should be Will.

comrade
14-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Man, with Prestia looking a likely out too, that is a seriously underwhelming midfield GC will turn out. Time for blokes like Wallis and Stevens to cash in with Dahl & Libba out. I'd also expect to see Clay further up the field, especially if it's sloppy. Perfect conditions for the human anvil.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Gut feel is Cordy may come in.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq (https://twitter.com/emmasq) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/emmasq/status/753400720976523264)Melbourne, Victoria (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A01864a8a64df9dc4)
Tom Boyd has a ticket to Cairns. Hopefully this means the vibe is right for a return to the senior team.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq (https://twitter.com/emmasq) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/emmasq/status/753400720976523264)Melbourne, Victoria (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A01864a8a64df9dc4)
Tom Boyd has a ticket to Cairns. Hopefully this means the vibe is right for a return to the senior team.

I'd say that means he's playing. No use taking him up as an emergency

Mofra
14-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Wonder which tall defender gets a ticket (if any)?

Mantis
14-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Man, with Prestia looking a likely out too, that is a seriously underwhelming midfield GC will turn out. Time for blokes like Wallis and Stevens to cash in with Dahl & Libba out. I'd also expect to see Clay further up the field, especially if it's sloppy. Perfect conditions for the human anvil.

What will their midfield look like with Prestia out?

Something like Hall & Miller from last weeks team with maybe Lonergan & Hallahan to come in.. Extremely thin.

Concerned about Lynch and Wright, but the lack of supply should be the difference.

Mofra
14-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Tweet already out from the Suns that Prestia misses, 3 to come in with Lonergan and Hallahan named - third could be Jarrad Grant?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Tweet already out from the Suns that Prestia misses, 3 to come in with Lonergan and Hallahan named - third could be Jarrad Grant?

Oh god. What's the bet Grant kicks 5 on us to continue the spud forwards playing well on us like Daw, Carlisle ;-)

Seriously though, we need to put this one away early to allow us to save ourselves a bit to reduce the impact of heat and travel for the following week. Of course we can't have that as our thinking as this season has proven how easy it is to be bitten in the a$$ by inferior opponents.

Axe Man
14-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Rocket to Captain/Coach.

Bulldog Joe
14-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Oh god. What's the bet Grant kicks 5 on us to continue the spud forwards playing well on us like Daw, Carlisle ;-)

Seriously though, we need to put this one away early to allow us to save ourselves a bit to reduce the impact of heat and travel for the following week. Of course we can't have that as our thinking as this season has proven how easy it is to be bitten in the a$$ by inferior opponents.

While the travel could be a factor, the heat is not.
Playing conditions in Cairns are very pleasant. I have been there for both games and actually needed some warm clothes during the game. By game time it is forecast to be 21 deg with only the odd shower through the day.

I will be there again.

Axe Man
14-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Boyd's back: Suspended Dog on flight to face the Suns (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-14/bulldog-tom-boyd-makes-his-way-back-for-gold-coast-suns-clash)

TOM BOYD'S club- imposed suspension is over.

The Western Bulldogs' multi-million dollar man joined teammates on a flight to Cairns to face Gold Coast on Saturday.

Boyd was reluctant to chat when approached by reporters at Melbourne Airport.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the selection news to AFL.com.au.

The second-year coach had hinted at his weekly press conference on Tuesday that the high-priced recruit had served his penance for a drunken altercation with teammate Zaine Cordy.

It will be Boyd's first appearance at senior level since round four and Beveridge said the recall was certainly deserved.

"Tom's worked hard, he's had a tough last month and he comes back into the 22," Beveridge said.

"We went through a process this week and the players are really keen to have Tom involved at AFL level.

"He's fighting fit (and) his shoulder is pretty good, so the time was right to bring him in.

"It's great news for him."

Sitting 10th for scoring, the finals-bound Bulldogs are hoping the high-priced recruit will help them kick more goals.

The 20-year-old has kicked eight majors in four games for Footscray in the VFL since his return from injury.

The fourth-placed Bulldogs will go in hot favourites against an injury-depleted Suns outfit missing midifeld stars Gary Ablett, Dion Prestia and Michael Rischitelli.

The game will mark the third-year running the Dogs have hosted Gold Coast at Cazaly's Stadium, and a third straight win against the Suns in North Queensland will see Beveridge's men consolidate a top-four spot.

Trailing by four goals at three-quarter time in the corresponding fixture last year, the Dogs stormed home to win by 22 points.

"Last year for three quarters Gold Coast were pretty good and we were snorkeling on Fitzroy Island and hit Cairns at three-quarter time," Beveridge joked.

"We're looking to start the game well and we know Gold Coast are a little bit depleted with injury.

"(But) we know they'll come with a significant amount of energy and we'll have to match it."

Throughandthrough
14-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Massively important that we just bloody win.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Massively important that we just bloody win.

yes agree, I am alittle nervous, but we should win.

ledge
14-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Richmond made a lot of changes last week and it nearly worked , have to be careful against sides with backs against the wall. We should know it has been us for years.
Don't take it lightly and imagine they have no injuries, if we do that we should win easy.
Mindset is a huge factor in footy.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Richmond made a lot of changes last week and it nearly worked , have to be careful against sides with backs against the wall. We should know it has been us for years.
Don't take it lightly and imagine they have no injuries, if we do that we should win easy.
Mindset is a huge factor in footy.

We have a few out of our best 22 as well.

The Underdog
14-07-2016, 05:29 PM

I'll probably be more nervous playing Gold Coast, St. Kilda, Essendon and Freo than Geelong or North to be honest

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 05:31 PM
I'll probably be more nervous playing Gold Coast, St. Kilda, Essendon and Freo than Geelong or North to be honest

Always more nervous in games we should win. In the past they are the sort of games we normally throw away. Not so this year - although a few close calls

Eastdog
14-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Im hoping on Saturday night that we can have a comfortable win. The last 2 weeks have been close ones and we have been involved in quite a few of those so hopefully this one will be more relaxing for our supporters.

Eastdog
14-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Saints is not an easy one although we had a very good win against them early in the season at Etihad. The Suns and Bombers we should be fine. Cats look to be our most difficult as I think the Roos now don't look as strong as they were earlier in the season.

comrade
14-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Saints is not an easy one although we had a very good win against them early in the season at Etihad. The Suns and Bombers we should be fine. Cats look to be our most difficult as I think the Roos now don't look as strong as they were earlier in the season.

Roos without Higgins & Wood, and question marks over Waite and Wells should give us an edge.

Waite will never play a better game in his life and Wells cut us up.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Teams are in:

In: Boyd, Dunks

Eastdog
14-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Roos without Higgins & Wood, and question marks over Waite and Wells should give us an edge.

Also if the Pies keep there recent form up that is a potential tough one but I think we can still win it.

Eastdog
14-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Teams are in:

Great to hear Tom Boyd is in this week and is travelling up. We really need to start getting the games into him and more experience. Resting Libba is not such a bad move as we want him to be completely right so you would think for our next home game Libba to return.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Teams are in:

Backline will be interesting

Rocco Jones
14-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Yeah massive difference to when we played them last.

Ben Jacobs is another one who might miss. He is very important to their set up.

We had JJ, Suckling and no tall forward playing last time. We also have Libba playing hurt from early on.

comrade
14-07-2016, 07:48 PM
2 mids out, 1 forward/ruck and 1 mid in.

More balanced than last week but still think we're too 'inside'. But...in Bevo we trust.

For a laugh, watch his press conference during the week.

After joking about the vibe and Denis Denuto/photocopiers, a reporter asks him if he'd like 'Tom' to play this week and he goes on and on 'yeah, he's had such a good year coming off a reco etc' and the reporter says 'sorry Luke, I meant Tom Boyd' and knowingly, Bevo goes 'oh, the other Tom. Tom Campbell?'.

Has turned into a very natural media performer.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Interesting to see Dunkley & Clay Smith playing together. The two are so similar its they're like a before & after photo of a hulking mid/forward... Here's a strong young man developing into a raging bull, and here's one we prepared earlier.

kruder
14-07-2016, 08:01 PM
I would have given Webb another crack it for mine, be nice to see him play just off the inside mids to use his foot skills. Nothing against Dunkley but I cant see how he will help with ball movement. One positive he can take a nice grab forward.

I wonder what has happened to Dale? In theory his skills sets would add value to the group but obviously not playing well enough at AFL level.

Good luck Tom! Please please please lead at the footy rather than standing still. Its all about movement in the forward line and this will also help draw the attention of the mids.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2016, 09:53 PM
2 mids out, 1 forward/ruck and 1 mid in.

More balanced than last week but still think we're too 'inside'. But...in Bevo we trust.

For a laugh, watch his press conference during the week.

After joking about the vibe and Denis Denuto/photocopiers, a reporter asks him if he'd like 'Tom' to play this week and he goes on and on 'yeah, he's had such a good year coming off a reco etc' and the reporter says 'sorry Luke, I meant Tom Boyd' and knowingly, Bevo goes 'oh, the other Tom. Tom Campbell?'.

Has turned into a very natural media performer.

He is quite dry which can be either very boring or entertaining.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Also, I agree that we have too many inside mids but Dunkley at the moment is mid/fwd type.

jeemak
14-07-2016, 09:57 PM

I like the passive aggressiveness of dry humour delivered with a deadpan facade. Not quite sarcasm, not quite angry but definitely not friendly.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I like the passive aggressiveness of dry humour delivered with a deadpan facade. Not quite sarcasm, not quite angry but definitely not friendly.

Yeah, me too.

comrade
14-07-2016, 10:00 PM

In the latest Sounding Board podcast with Hutchy and Barrett, they spoke about Bevo at length. Hutchy made comment that he loves Bevo's black and white view of things and thinks he's a maniac in his desire to just win at all costs.

Thought it was an interesting comment from a bloke that has plenty of tentacles in the industry.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 11:09 PM

I find it entertaining myself. Libba even used one of Bevo's lines to the media also this week when the asked him 'how are your ribs Libba' and Lib responded 'the knee's great thanks' with a deadpan face and walked off.

jeemak
14-07-2016, 11:10 PM
In the latest Sounding Board podcast with Hutchy and Barrett, they spoke about Bevo at length. Hutchy made comment that he loves Bevo's black and white view of things and thinks he's a maniac in his desire to just win at all costs.

Thought it was an interesting comment from a bloke that has plenty of tentacles in the industry.

What did Grubby McGrubface have to say about that?

Is the podcast worth listening to?

azabob
14-07-2016, 11:22 PM
What did Grubby McGrubface have to say about that?

Is the podcast worth listening to?

He's tolarable to a degree. I'm starting to like Hutchy more and more with each week I listen.

comrade
14-07-2016, 11:26 PM
He's tolarable to a degree. I'm starting to like Hutchy more and more with each week I listen.

Hutchy has some man love for Bevo and always needles Barrett about him. Said that Bevo has wiped him and he's persona non grata at the Bulldogs which is no secret.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Hutchy has some man love for Bevo and always needles Barrett about him. Said that Bevo has wiped him and he's persona non grata at the Bulldogs which is no secret.

Wiped Hutchy?

LostDoggy
15-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Suns major threat seem to be the tall forwards. Collins named as emergency who is travelling with the team. Late change on the cards?

jeemak
15-07-2016, 01:19 AM
Suns major threat seem to be the tall forwards. Collins named as emergency who is travelling with the team. Late change on the cards?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Morris needed a break given his age and load.

comrade
15-07-2016, 04:04 AM
Wiped Hutchy?

Barrett, who then went on to say something like 'Bevo isn't losing sleep over it, neither am I'. Yeah right.

Hutchy had previously referred to Barrett as a 'hater', someone who puts a line through people (mentioned Barrett's relationship with Robbo) in comparison to himself (Hutchy) who didn't really hate anyone in the industry as the personal stuff didn't really bother him.

The podcast shines a light on both of their real personalities. Hutchy is pragmatic and pretty likeable. Barrett's self righteousness and fragile ego is laid bare for all to see and provides an insight into the motivation behind his attacks on Bevo and the club.

Bevo will need to keep his nose clean for his entire career as Barrett will be ready to pull the trigger at the first chance. That's the risk when you take a stand.

westdog54
15-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Guys, we're starting to drift into another topic here. We've got a whole thread dedicated to Barrett and his evil ways.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2016, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Morris needed a break given his age and load.

Resting players is a good idea, particularly older players. Still, we badly need the percentage.
Love to bring in Hamling but just heard he has a knee problem.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Mellowing a bit as he gets older.

LostDoggy
15-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Thinking the same. Interstate match is a good one for an allocated rest.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Entertaining for me. I enjoy his Press Conferences.

Mantis
15-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Also, I agree that we have too many inside mids but Dunkley at the moment is mid/fwd type.

How do you define mid?

For me it is someone who attends centre clearance contests or starts on a wing.. For me this something that Dunkley does very little of at AFL level... I have him as a fwd only at this stage who does lead up the ground.

Mofra
15-07-2016, 10:24 AM
We get a break between the last round and the first final. Is that enough? Backmen tend to be rested less than players in other parts of the ground, it was one of the reasons Murph plays back and Boyd switched to a backman, prolonging their careers. It's less impact on the body.

jeemak
15-07-2016, 10:31 AM
We get a break between the last round and the first final. Is that enough? Backmen tend to be rested less than players in other parts of the ground, it was one of the reasons Murph plays back and Boyd switched to a backman, prolonging their careers. It's less impact on the body.

I guess it comes down to individual circumstances. I get what you're saying but if Morris is worn out or carrying something that could do with a rest then it is what it is.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2016, 10:35 AM
I think we can freshen up Morris against Essendon a week or two out from finals.

jeemak
15-07-2016, 10:54 AM
I'm not saying he needs to be freshened up or is carrying injury, I'm just trying to figure out why Collins travelled.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm not saying he needs to be freshened up or is carrying injury, I'm just trying to figure out why Collins travelled.

Velocity points for his end of season trip maybe?

The Pie Man
15-07-2016, 11:18 AM

Given the tall timber up forward for the Suns, you'd rather Collins be a late in for someone smaller....or a Redpath (who I want playing)

Mofra
15-07-2016, 11:24 AM
We've done it before for emergencies, and it gives the kids an idea of how senior players prepare for games.
Get him involved in the warm up, good experience.

SlimPickens
15-07-2016, 11:25 AM
I think we can freshen up Morris against Essendon a week or two out from finals.

They get a week off after the season. He doesn't need to be freshened up in games we must win by considerable margins.

LostDoggy
15-07-2016, 03:49 PM
One Jarrad Grant is lining up against his old club. I wonder how that will pan out, I never enjoyed watching Josh Hill kick 3 or 4 on us.

bornadog
15-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Suns forward line is ridiculously tall, with Lynch (199), Wright (203) and Day (197). Once the ball hits the ground, we should be able to take the ball all the way down.

always right
15-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Suns forward line is ridiculously tall, with Lynch (199), Wright (203) and Day (197). Once the ball hits the ground, we should be able to take the ball all the way down.

Hope you're right. Lynch is my favourite non-bulldogs player. When he's around the ball rarely hits the ground.

Mofra
15-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Biggs has done the job before on taller players, Wood as well.

I remember Gilbee used to take the opposition ruckman all the time and kill them on the rebound. One of Eade's tactics that teams didn't wake up to for months.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2016, 04:27 PM
One Jarrad Grant is lining up against his old club. I wonder how that will pan out, I never enjoyed watching Josh Hill kick 3 or 4 on us.

It's going to be a tough day for him. He might have Wood or Boyd to contend with.

Mantis
15-07-2016, 04:41 PM

IF!

As per ar's post Lynch is a beast and marks everything in sight.. If the GC can get decent supply going forward their talls will give us grief.

bornadog
15-07-2016, 04:52 PM
IF!

As per ar's post Lynch is a beast and marks everything in sight.. If the GC can get decent supply going forward their talls will give us grief.

Our aim should be to go the punch and not to try and outmark them. Of course stopping the supply is our priority.

Axe Man
15-07-2016, 05:41 PM
From the Herald Sun:

WESTERN Bulldogs are not expecting any late changes but have flown emergencie Kieran Collins and Lukas Webb to Cairns as cover.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Heading up to the game in the morning. High chance of showers in late afternoon and evening. Hopefully this will work against Lynch and Wright. Ironic that we could have had Peter Wright but decided to exchange the pick for Tom Boyd. Still we should have them covered. Definitely don't want to rely on a 10 goal last qtr to get over the line.

Bulldog4life
15-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Heading up to the game in the morning. High chance of showers in late afternoon and evening. Hopefully this will work against Lynch and Wright. Ironic that we could have had Peter Wright but decided to exchange the pick for Tom Boyd. Still we should have them covered. Definitely don't want to rely on a 10 goal last qtr to get over the line.

Don't mention the war.

Twodogs
16-07-2016, 05:27 AM

All the same we'd love a 10 goal last quarter again.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2016, 11:48 AM
All the same we'd love a 10 goal last quarter again.

Probably enjoy a 10 goal 1st qtr to kick it off.

Twodogs
16-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Probably enjoy a 10 goal 1st qtr to kick it off.

I'm happy for that to happen. I'm even happy for a ten goal first quarter and a ten goal last quarter. And second and third quarters come to it.