PDA

View Full Version : Terry Wallace - Open Mike

Scraggers
06-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Not sure how many people watched Fox Footy's show Open Mike last night. Wallace was the guest.

In brief, he spoke about his time at Hawthorn and why he left. The disaster that was Richmond. His playing career at The Bulldogs, including the broken jaw and suing the Melbourne player Grinter. His move into coaching. How he became head coach and how he left the role. The Sydney fiasco and the disaster that is Richmond (the sequel).

But the reason for this thread was the advert leading up to the show. In the ad Mike asked Wallace about Chris Grant's B&F clause in his contract. Questioning whether Grant deserved to win the B&F thus getting his contract bonus. Yet in the show, the question was nowhere to be seen.

Why? Why was this question left out? Why use it to advertise the show then not use it? Legal action? Inaccuracies??

Did anyone else see this?

ledge
06-07-2016, 07:25 AM
I watched it and I'm a fan of Terry .. Was good to hear about his finishing at the dogs and we all know Rose was bought in to save money and get sponsorships happening. Rose wasn't popular with a few as he wasn't interested in the football department and that was where he would cut things to save money.
We looked good in stability with him there but the football results weren't good.
But in saying that I also think results at the end of Terry's tenure showed he had lost the players.

Pickenitup
06-07-2016, 07:51 AM
If you go to Fox sports site they have a extra 17 mins that didn't go to air well worth a visit

Twodogs
06-07-2016, 09:33 AM
I watched it and I'm a fan of Terry .. Was good to hear about his finishing at the dogs and we all know Rose was bought in to save money and get sponsorships happening. Rose wasn't popular with a few as he wasn't interested in the football department and that was where he would cut things to save money.
We looked good in stability with him there but the football results weren't good.
But in saying that I also think results at the end of Terry's tenure showed he had lost the players.

Terry is the only person I have heard Chris Grant speak ill of. Just after Plough stood down from the job I saw and heard Grant walking out off the old player race saying some very uncomplicatery things about Terry. Terry is OK though. One day last year I saw him at a Footscray game and went over to say "welcome back". He grabbed my arm, pointed to the crowd and said "this is great, how long has this been going in?" I said "about 130 years"

bornadog
06-07-2016, 09:44 AM
But the reason for this thread was the advert leading up to the show. In the ad Mike asked Wallace about Chris Grant's B&F clause in his contract. Questioning whether Grant deserved to win the B&F thus getting his contract bonus. Yet in the show, the question was nowhere to be seen.

Why? Why was this question left out? Why use it to advertise the show then not use it? Legal action? Inaccuracies??

Did anyone else see this?

It is discussed in the extra 17 minutes.

Link here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/terry-wallace-reveals-his-biggest-regret-at-richmond-on-fox-footys-open-mike/news-story/9c1167f6d85348d2cdbe7051cbaed9d1)

The Pie Man
06-07-2016, 09:54 AM
The extra bits on the Fox site are worth a look (spoiler - there's nothing in the Grant 96 B&F rumour)

ledge
06-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Terry is the only person I have heard Chris Grant speak ill off. Just after Plough stood down from the job I saw and heard Grant walking out off the old player race saying some very uncomplicatery things about Terry. Terry is OK though. One day last year I saw him at a Footscray game and went over to say "welcome back". He grabbed my arm, pointed to the crowd and said "this is great, how long has this been going in?" I said "about 130 years"

I was with him a little that day he was there to see his son umpire and his son had taken Coon dogs son under his wing and was teaching him umpiring as CDs son is s budding young umpire .. It was the week before Terry's son umpired his first AFL game.
Used to talk to Terry a lot on FB always had time .. Sadly he isn't on it anymore due to having no time !
He is so down to earth introduced me to his wife etc.

Twodogs
06-07-2016, 01:39 PM
I was with him a little that day he was there to see his son umpire and his son had taken Coon dogs son under his wing and was teaching him umpiring as CDs son is s budding young umpire .. It was the week before Terry's son umpired his first AFL game.
Used to talk to Terry a lot on FB always had time .. Sadly he isn't on it anymore due to having no time !
He is so down to earth introduced me to his wife etc.

Yep Terry is a lovely bloke. I was, errr, friendly with one of his goddaughters.

merantau
06-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Well I'm glad I read this post because it's reminded me not to be too judgmental. You see I really admired him as a player for us and he was very good for us as a coach, apart from one or two instances. However, when he walked out on us, and the way it panned out, caused me to conclude that he was really quite pompous and arrogant. I'm glad to hear, from people who've had personal dealings with him, that this is, in fact, not tje case at all. So, Terry is restored to his "good bloke" status.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
So Terry Wallace did sue Rod Grinter good.
I was on the Dougie Hawkins side predominantly with Demon supporters around me and grabbed a big bastard by his top button after he mocked Wallace and cheered and clapped the stretcher coming out. I knew pure evil when I saw it and he knew Superman when he saw him. No violence ensued and he was reserved afterwards and I haven't needed to be Superman since but Grinter's thuggery showed that police should be involved in such matters. It was out and out assault on poor Terry and shattered his jaw.

Prince Imperial
06-07-2016, 03:30 PM
So Terry Wallace did sue Rod Grinter good.
I was on the Dougie Hawkins side predominantly with Demon supporters around me and grabbed a big bastard by his top button after he mocked Wallace and cheered and clapped the stretcher coming out. I knew pure evil when I saw it and he knew Superman when he saw him. No violence ensued and he was reserved afterwards and I haven't needed to be Superman since but Grinter's thuggery showed that police should be involved in such matters. It was out and out assault on poor Terry and shattered his jaw.

I was standing on the grandstand wing that day and it was by far the worst act of thuggery that I've ever seen live on a football oval. For Grinter to be claiming that it was an accident and not intentional on Open Mike recently says a lot about his character.

bornadog
06-07-2016, 03:50 PM
I was standing on the grandstand wing that day and it was by far the worst act of thuggery that I've ever seen live on a football oval. For Grinter to be claiming that it was an accident and not intentional on Open Mike recently says a lot about his character.

Goes down as one of the most gutless acts on a football field, along with Dirty Matthews.

Twodogs
06-07-2016, 04:13 PM
I was at the Geelong rd end and had a good line of sight. A completely craven act. Wallace was no threat to Grinter but Grinter broke Plough's jaw in two places. It might be an accident in Grinter's brain but I know what I saw.

ledge
06-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I can tell you more about how much Terry is a good bloke, just remember their are only two coaches in AFL ones who are sacked and ones who are going to be sacked.
He puts in a 100% whatever he is doing and I for one would love to see him at our games and respected by our supporters ( a lot do respect him and understand coaching very rarely ends well)

bornadog
06-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Dr Landsberger talks a little about Terry's hit here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-07-06/kennel-cult-heroes-dr-jake-landsberger)

Remi Moses
06-07-2016, 10:03 PM
That was funny . Plough was a great footballer, and it's a pity his last couple of years as a coach have clouded his contribution .
Grinter tried to say he tackled with a swinging arm, so that's his pathetic limp excuse for a gutless act .
Sums the bloke up

comrade
06-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Might be unfair, but I got the sense Plough is all about Plough.

The way he left the Hawks, left Richmond after 1 year, how it all ended in tears with us, the shemozzle with Sydney. In each instance he was looking out for himself and it ended in disaster.

Unfair?

bulldogtragic
06-07-2016, 10:24 PM

The way he left the Hawks, left Richmond after 1 year, how it all ended in tears with us, the shemozzle with Sydney. In each instance he was looking out for himself and it ended in disaster.

Unfair?

The bloke with a tanning bed at home, all about himself you say?

EasternWest
06-07-2016, 10:28 PM

Unfair?

Yes and no.

He's obviously a bit of a narcissist, but I don't for a second doubt that he loves the club. He gave a lot to us. On field and off, and while I was one of the many angry at the way he left, I'm personally happy to move on and welcome him back.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Yes and no.

He's obviously a bit of a narcissist, but I don't for a second doubt that he loves the club. He gave a lot to us. On field and off, and while I was one of the many angry at the way he left, I'm personally happy to move on and welcome him back.

Much the same, although I find it hard to take his whole reinvention as a 'list manager' seriously. Particularly with his time at Richmond in this area, it feels to me a little like a conman being a born again televangelist.

merantau
06-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Yes and no.

I'll second that. I was really angry at the way he left and backed the players stand 100%. I really felt he put himself first, and that's ok as it was his living at the time, but the public way he disrespected the players was unforgiveable at the time. Maybe it didn't come out the way he wanted it too but it certainly hurt the playing group.
That being said, he was still a terrific player for us and, as coach, he picked us up by the boot straps and got us going again. We were a feared outfit under him. The "Wog Squad", as they liked to call themselves gave the opposition palpitations and episodes of the 'vapours' whenever they had to play us. They were heady days and Terry was a big part of it. All forgiven as far as I'm concerned and I'm glad to hear that he loves the Club.

GVGjr
07-07-2016, 12:13 AM

Unfair?

There are many great qualities about Plough but he was very self aware and I think he always tried to read the signs pro-actively and jumped before pushed.
He left us when he realised he could take the club no further but seemingly had an escape clause in place at Sydney and he left Richmond when he thought he would struggle to play in the centre. There is also a question mark on his role with the Alan Joyce departure.

In the end I think his approach has come across as either a selfish or manipulative trait.

I have a soft spot for him but some of the things he did didn't sit well with me.

Remi Moses
07-07-2016, 12:26 AM
There are many great qualities about Plough but he was very self aware and I think he always tried to read the signs pro-actively and jumped before pushed.
He left us when he realised he could take the club no further but seemingly had an escape clause in place at Sydney and he left Richmond when he thought he would struggle to play in the centre. There is also a question mark on his role with the Alan Joyce departure.

In the end I think his approach has come across as either a selfish or manipulative trait.

I have a soft spot for him but some of the things he did didn't sit well with me.

My sentiments to . I've mellowed on him since the events of 02, but the carry on in 05 taking the credit for our rise was particularly grating

Webby
07-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Wallace was, on the whole, very good for the Footscray Football Club. An excellent player - particularly for the price! And a good coach.

All in all, pretty good service for us. No, very good. We had our most successful period for four decades under him. No mean feat.

Funny character. Kind of broke the mould a bit and bridged the old school world of square haircuts and conformance to today's more "out there" youth. Hard as nails, old fashioned in and under, unassuming player, yet had his own tanning bed, wore a "lucky" pair of leather pants to games and was prone to wearing pink tank tops. Surprising that, for the great footballer he was, Yabbie Jeans didn't warm to him.

Spent a lot of time in front of the mirror, seemed quite narcisstic, had a reputation of disloyalty, yet is very personable and chatty at the same time. Interesting character, really.

As I say, I really liked him as a player and a coach. I was living overseas when he departed and was a bit surprised to hear of the bitterness towards him. Nonetheless, in the years to come, I found him quite grating in his time as the Richmond coach. I think some of the fairy dust had washed off him by then.

Nonetheless, 99% of his time with us was positive for the club. He was good for us. He deserves his dues.

bornadog
07-07-2016, 10:12 AM
One of the things Terry said in the interview was the way Cam Rose after being at the club for a week, said to him he wouldn't be renewing his contract and would even like to reduce the payments to Terry. Rose knew he couldn't but said his contract wouldn't be renewed after the following year. Cam Rose came to the club and asked all players to take a 10% pay cut, his mission was to get the club finances into order. This didn't sit well with a number of players including Nathan Brown or Terry, but some of the senior players took a cut, including Chris Grant

I don't know what the club finances looked like back then, but thinking about it now, it was the wrong thing to do. If what Terry said is true, I don't blame him for bailing out. Cam may have done a few good things in his time at the club, but he treated the club like a business in the sense of the corporate world, and not a football club that just needs to balance the books and invest money in the football department. His greatest legacy was convincing Governments to put money into a redevelopment.

I remember sitting next to him watching the football (Presidents Club Dinner) and I asked him about the Bulldog Shop. At the time the shop was a mess and really didn't cater very well for supporters. I gave him some suggestions (I worked in senior management roles in retail for 25 plus years), but he basically dismissed it and said he had more important things to do and will eventually get to the Shop.

My point was you look after members, you increase membership and then that adds to revenue. Oh well its all history now and the club is in the best position it has ever been in.

As for Terry, he wasn't happy with Rose.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Jesus. I never knew it was so bad. Grinter - most reported Melbourne player ever.

The documentary 'Year of the Dogs' was my entry into this club. Respect Plough greatly and can remember being electrified by his 'Spew' speech at the Astor theatre.
That doco came out 20 years before any of this behind the game stuff with cameras in the rooms, the things they do on Fox now.
BT and his merry band of clowns haven't even come close to anything as insightful.

Terry Wallace practically climbing out of the coaches box window during game day. Passionate guy who probably couldn't contain himself at times. Arriving at the 97 wake with 'We blew it' on his forehead seems pretty cruel.

bornadog
07-07-2016, 01:09 PM
Terry Wallace practically climbing out of the coaches box window during game day. Passionate guy who probably couldn't contain himself at times. Arriving at the 97 wake with 'We blew it' on his forehead seems pretty cruel.

He came out with many firsts that changed the way football is played and covered:

1. Super Flood after Rocket invented the flood at Sydney

2. Pre game warm up - Now the players are out 20 minutes before the start of a game, kicking the ball around and warming up. Prior to this, the warm, up was in the rooms.

3. Coach Interviewed during a game.

4. Interviewing players coming off at half time.

Mofra
07-07-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm a Plough fan, he changed the "woe is me" culture at the club as coach which really set us on a path of being competitive and if not for a blind goal umpire would have gone down in folklore as a legend.

I'm glad to have him back and any departures during the Rose years need to be viewed through the lens of cost-cutting measures that were applied behind the scenes (yes even Brown's departure. There a many reasons to despise him but leaving wasn't one of them).

Twodogs
07-07-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm a Plough fan, he changed the "woe is me" culture at the club as coach which really set us on a path of being competitive and if not for a blind goal umpire would have gone down in folklore as a legend.

I'm glad to have him back and any departures during the Rose years need to be viewed through the lens of cost-cutting measures that were applied behind the scenes (yes even Brown's departure. There a many reasons to despise him but leaving wasn't one of them).

No. Going to Richmond will do for starters.

Scraggers
07-07-2016, 02:32 PM
He said in the interview that he spent 9 years at Hawthorn and got life membership. He spent 14 years at the Bulldogs and got life membership. But he calls Hawthorn home. The way he left us and his sentiments are enough to confirm my feelings for him ... Not a fan !!

Murphy'sLore
07-07-2016, 03:15 PM
As another who came to the club via Year of the Dogs, it's been fascinating to read the different perspectives here. Always good to learn something more about our recent history -- thanks to you all for sharing.

Twodogs
07-07-2016, 06:06 PM
He said in the interview that he spent 9 years at Hawthorn and got life membership. He spent 14 years at the Bulldogs and got life membership. But he calls Hawthorn home. The way he left us and his sentiments are enough to confirm my feelings for him ... Not a fan !!

He got premierships at Hawthorn. It binds you to a place.

Mantis
07-07-2016, 06:48 PM
I watched it and it was a very interesting piece.

I felt the most interesting was him talking about the emotions after the 1997 PF loss in which he sat head in hands for a number of minutes and then almost fell down the stairs after exiting the coaches box.. His nausea must have begun early in the last quarter as the inactivity from the box was one of the reasons we gave up a commanding lead.. It's was a horrible coaching performance.

Twodogs
07-07-2016, 09:12 PM
I watched it and it was a very interesting piece.

I felt the most interesting was him talking about the emotions after the 1997 PF loss in which he sat head in hands for a number of minutes and then almost fell down the stairs after exiting the coaches box.. His nausea must have begun early in the last quarter as the inactivity from the box was one of the reasons we gave up a commanding lead.. It's was a horrible coaching performance.

Did he make any moves at all? Didn't seem like it. We went full rabbit in the headlights that day.

Mantis
07-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Did he make any moves at all? Didn't seem like it. We went full rabbit in the headlights that day.

There were a couple of pretty obvious ones, but Terry in his defence says that in the late 90's you didn't put players behind the ball, etc.. Always had an excuse.

1/ Get Curley off Jarman.
2/ Get Grant into the action.. Maybe at CHB.
3/ Stop kicking the ball to Scott Wynd who couldn't jump and was being used as a step ladder by Nigel Smart.

Yes.. The pain is still real.

jeemak
08-07-2016, 12:51 AM
Amazing the best CHB of all time who happened to play CHF that year didn't get played behind the ball....

Twodogs
08-07-2016, 12:59 AM
There were a couple of pretty obvious ones, but Terry in his defence says that in the late 90's you didn't put players behind the ball, etc.. Always had an excuse.

1/ Get Curley off Jarman.
2/ Get Grant into the action.. Maybe at CHB.
3/ Stop kicking the ball to Scott Wynd who couldn't jump and was being used as a step ladder by Nigel Smart.

Yes.. The pain is still real.

It certainly is. Looking back it's like a car accident unfolding in slow motion and you couldn't look away.

The bulldog tragician
08-07-2016, 12:19 PM
In 97 the paralysis on the field seemed to be matched in the box.

But what about 98? Bizarre decision to play Rohan Smith on Robran was too cute by half. We all remember 97 but to not make a GF in 98 with the year we had was also an epic fail. I've always thought for whatever reason we went into that match woefully underprepared mentally as well.

Twodogs
08-07-2016, 03:40 PM
1998. That's the one we never really talk about. It's too horrific even by our standards i guess. We sat there expecting a win to atone for last year's prelim disaster. It was good that it was prelim week same opponent, same venue because we would knock them off, exorcise those 1997 demons and make a Grand Final all in one fell swoop. Surely Adelaide wouldn't knock us over two years in a row. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

It was awful. They just kicked goal after goal. Whatever they wanted to do they just did and we couldn't stop them.talk about frustrating.

The bulldog tragician
08-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I call 97 The Preliminary Final That Must Not Be Named and 98 The Preleminary Final That Wasn't Very Good Either.

Back to the OP Terry is such a mixed figure in our history. He brought a certain style and a bit of razzmatazz that was needed, remembering we came close to folding in 96. What he got out of the 97 group who were a rabble the year before was quite amazing: it's a shame that achievement will always be overshadowed by you-know-what. He transformed the club, his 'I'll spew up' speech was a turning point in challenging the club to get over the 'good ole Footscray' mentality and it's arguable that he brought a professionalism and desire for success that was evident in the younger group such as West Grant Johnson and Smith that grew to be such champions for us. The other side of the coin is that we never got a flag and his coaching in those two finals was part of that problem.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-07-2016, 04:46 PM
I try not to remember but in the 98 prelim he had Libba on Jarmyn and he couldn't keep up but was left on him all game

Axe Man
08-07-2016, 04:51 PM
I try not to remember but in the 98 prelim he had Libba on Jarmyn and he couldn't keep up but was left on him all game

Pretty sure Libba was on Andrew McLeod. Jarman did nothing that game, McLeod kicked a lazy 7.:(

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Ah McLeod that was it

ledge
08-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Terry was on SEN today saying they cut about 1 hour of the interview out and most of his full on explanations were not shown.

bornadog
08-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Terry was on SEN today saying they cut about 1 hour of the interview out and most of his full on explanations were not shown.

He said the interview was one hour and they cut it back to 25 or so minutes.

merantau
08-07-2016, 11:34 PM
In '97 wasn't keeping Leon Cameron off the ground for lengthy periods another mistake? Or is my brain still warped from the pain of that game?

strebla
09-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Lets get The Coon Dog out of retirement so we can get all the answers I say !!!

Rocco Jones
09-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Bulldogs fans are masochists.

Webby
09-07-2016, 11:35 AM
For me, the most redeeming part of Wallace's appearance was his opportunity to explain the whole Grinter thing.

Apparently Grinter's an exceptionally nice bloke off the field, but he was a grade A+++++ thug on the field. An absolute sniper. There can be no debate on that. If ANYONE argues that Rod Grintr wasn't a sniper, then they must think that snipers have never existed in sport. Period. If Grinter claims the Wallace incident was an accident (which he did) then my God, he must've been the clumsiest bloke to ever play the game. It just happened too often - and you just can't be that uncoordinated and make the highest level!

Anyway, Grinter smashes Wallace's face in. Wallace has has his clavicle broken, teeth smashed out, surgery, years of complications and pain.... And to cap it off, has to fork out for his own ongoing treatment. Wallace quite rightly asks "who's paying for this?!" FFC says they're uninsured, MFC says they're uninsured, but recommends Wallace go through the player. Wallace does this and MFC picks up the bill. Done. Grinter was looked after. End of the matter.. How Wallace is construed the "the bad guy" in this is beyond any rational human being! Before people say "Oh, but in those days it was different to now, blah blah blah" let me respond that is IS now. Grinter was saying this all in the year 2016!

20-25 years later, Grinter pops up on Open Mike expressing his disappointment that "things should stay on the field" and "I called him to apologise." P-L-E-A-S-E..! Grinter is delusional!!

I had a guy slam into the back of my car one time. Wrote off my car. His fault, he apologised, I accepted. No point being a prick about it. He didn't mean it, but he was reckless and negligent and done damage to my property. I accepted his apology. After all, there's no point carrying on. That's what mature adults do. He paid for the damage - as mature adults do, and we all moved on.

That's adulthood!.... In fact, it was clear in my case that the other driver obviously didn't want to smash his Audi into my Ford. In the Grinter-Wallace case, there was PLENTY of doubt that Grinter's actions were unintentional! So I think, and many others do, that it was big of Wallace not to tell Grinter to go and get stuffed when he phoned him. It was mature of him, and dare I say, quite decent of him to accept the apology.

So I'm pleased that Wallace had the opportunity to make the point that Grinter needs to accept responsibility and move on. If Grinter says he's disappointed that Wallace pursued him, then on behalf of the adult world, I'm disappointed in Grinter's disappointment!

Grow up Rodney!

Twodogs
09-07-2016, 12:37 PM
For me, the most redeeming part of Wallace's appearance was his opportunity to explain the whole Grinter thing.

Apparently Grinter's an exceptionally nice bloke off the field, but he was a grade A+++++ thug on the field. An absolute sniper. There can be no debate on that. If ANYONE argues that Rod Grintr wasn't a sniper, then they must think that snipers have never existed in sport. Period. If Grinter claims the Wallace incident was an accident (which he did) then my God, he must've been the clumsiest bloke to ever play the game. It just happened too often - and you just can't be that uncoordinated and make the highest level!

Anyway, Grinter smashes Wallace's face in. Wallace has has his clavicle broken, teeth smashed out, surgery, years of complications and pain.... And to cap it off, has to fork out for his own ongoing treatment. Wallace quite rightly asks "who's paying for this?!" FFC says they're uninsured, MFC says they're uninsured, but recommends Wallace go through the player. Wallace does this and MFC picks up the bill. Done. Grinter was looked after. End of the matter.. How Wallace is construed the "the bad guy" in this is beyond any rational human being! Before people say "Oh, but in those days it was different to now, blah blah blah" let me respond that is IS now. Grinter was saying this all in the year 2016!

20-25 years later, Grinter pops up on Open Mike expressing his disappointment that "things should stay on the field" and "I called him to apologise." P-L-E-A-S-E..! Grinter is delusional!!

I had a guy slam into the back of my car one time. Wrote off my car. His fault, he apologised, I accepted. No point being a prick about it. He didn't mean it, but he was reckless and negligent and done damage to my property. I accepted his apology. After all, there's no point carrying on. That's what mature adults do. He paid for the damage - as mature adults do, and we all moved on.

That's adulthood!.... In fact, it was clear in my case that the other driver obviously didn't want to smash his Audi into my Ford. In the Grinter-Wallace case, there was PLENTY of doubt that Grinter's actions were unintentional! So I think, and many others do, that it was big of Wallace not to tell Grinter to go and get stuffed when he phoned him. It was mature of him, and dare I say, quite decent of him to accept the apology.

So I'm pleased that Wallace had the opportunity to make the point that Grinter needs to accept responsibility and move on. If Grinter says he's disappointed that Wallace pursued him, then on behalf of the adult world, I'm disappointed in Grinter's disappointment!

Grow up Rodney!

Me heart bleeds buckets of piss for Rodney Grinter.

bornadog
09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I for one am glad the days of thuggery have been weeded out of football. Guys like Andrews at Essendon, Matthews at Hawks, or Grinter were not tough guys, they were snipers who were gutless wonders hitting players from either behind or when they are not looking. A true tough guy was Rick Kenndey, although he also did so some stupid things from time to time.

Footballers today are tough, they hit hard (legit bumps), or just going for the ball when surrounded by super fast athletes running at full pace.

As for Grinter a dirty act that he should be ashamed of.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Wow, i was disappointed the way Terry's time finished at the club but that lasted until the start of the following season.

If my memory serves me right(and that's no guarantee), Terry won a couple of best and fairests when he arrived at our club. So many players when they transfer at the end of their careers just go through the motions. That wasn't his style.

On the day of the 'Grinter incident', i was leaning on the wire fencing behind the terrace seating in front of the Gent stand. In other words, fairly close to where it took place. It was the most appalling act i've seen on a footy field.

He then had good stints as the reserves coach and assistant coach.
What he achieved with that list in '97 after the rabble of a season we had had in '96 was miraculous. We played with a kamikaze abandon. Then on the flipside, we had players who could be ruthlessly brutal. I loved it. For once our club was respected by the opposition. And all the while, whenever Plough was questioned about 'dubious' acts by any of our players, he didn't give an inch to the media.

Yes, it would have been nice to get a flag in his first two years ('97/'98) as a senior coach but not too many blokes do.

And he's one of the few media guys i find are worth listening to.