PDA

View Full Version : Forcing players into new roles policy

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Bevo's mantra from day one is that players need to be able to play multiple roles. As a concept I don't have an issue with it. In the case of Lucas Webb, I'm becoming quite confused. Last year his beautiful kicking off the half back line was encouraging to see, much like Bailey Williams this year. I understand they've put a lot of work into moving his game to the midfield, but when he was elevated he didn't play a lot of time in the midfield, rather up forward where his kicking skills were less of a chance of impacting the game. Now he's been dropped this week. I can't help but feel a small sense of being set up to fail for him.

So what to make of the adaption policy on Webb specifically? What was wrong with a running back flanker honing his trade? Do we expect that Bailey Williams next year will be going through this?

Twodogs
14-07-2016, 08:12 PM
They seem to be playing a long game with Lucas. I hope they have explained it to him because I am a bit confused about where he's going.

Eastdog
14-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Matthew Boyd comes to mind. He was playing more in the midfield originally and nowadays plays more defensively and is doing quite good.

Murph can play a bit forward as well with his natural position being at half back and also Roughy can play forward, ruck and back.

jeemak
14-07-2016, 09:37 PM
I don't mind it, personally.

We have Suckling, JJ, Boyd (Murphy) and Biggs as our smaller defenders and all of them are more effective than Webb presently. Given he's already shown an aptitude for defencive play and creative, safe usage off half back it's pretty much a box ticked for now and he can learn other skills to develop his game.

As Boyd and Murphy move along there's going to be some opportunities open up. If Webb fills those positions as a more rounded or versatile player then all the better.

Twodogs
14-07-2016, 10:04 PM
That's true. Murphy spent a lot of time forward before joining the men's department.

Mofra
15-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Williams, Lynch, Rourke Smith... we have pretty good coverage for young rebounders and Webb has shown an attitude for midfield as a junior and at VFL level.

Having someone who can rotate through the wing/centre as well as play back helps us no end in an era of capped interchange rotations. I'm not discouraged by two senior games where he spent significant time deep forward in the second one.

azabob
15-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I know Webb is playing as an inside mid at VFL level, but moving forward he would be a good replacement / addition to the Suckling role playing back or midfield and using his kicking skills.

comrade
15-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Webb is playing perfectly well as a mid at VFL level and has been quoted as getting plenty of encouragement and direction from Bevo regarding his development and the need for more versatility.

At this stage he just can't get his hands on it enough at the top level and doesn't have the requisite tricks to make up for lack of possession (explosive speed, manic tackling, elite overhead).

He is a slow burner, and will come into his own as a multi-position utility that reads the play well and uses the ball at an elite level by foot. Some have referred to him as having a Luke Hodge like skill set. I don't see him getting close to Hodge's output of course, but I can see him playing a similar role.

Just needs time.

boydogs
16-07-2016, 02:13 AM
He's having trouble picking up the pace and finding his feet in the seniors. You can't carry someone only getting 7 touches. He will get there

Scorlibo
16-07-2016, 03:29 AM
I'm not as concerned with him being thrown into the midfield for the majority of the year - for me it's more that he's been left out in the VFL for so long before getting an opportunity. He looked rusty at the top level more than anything else. He looked all of a sudden like he didn't belong, something I don't remember seeing in Lukas when he first came into the team last year and played with confidence.

F'scary
16-07-2016, 07:21 PM
I think Webb will turn out to be a very good half back flanker. It is fine playing him as a midfielder in the VFL, no probs with that. But, in a year or two, Murphy, Boyd and Morris will be retiring and JJ will be used in more attacking roles (e.g., first rover or wing). (Picken and Dickson may have finished also after another couple of seasons- presenting further opportunities including reshuffles). We are doing the right thing in grooming replacements like Webb, Zaine Cordy and Williams. Bring them along slowly, in three years they will be at their peak.

Bulldog Revolution
17-07-2016, 03:23 PM
He is a slow burner, and will come into his own as a multi-position utility that reads the play well and uses the ball at an elite level by foot. Some have referred to him as having a Luke Hodge like skill set. I don't see him getting close to Hodge's output of course, but I can see him playing a similar role.

Just needs time.

Its Jordan Lewis Id thought was the comparison - not overly quick mid field type who is good at everything

Hes had a good year in the VFL Webb and is clearly coming along nicely - still needs to be better in the contest, and in the air, to allow his decision making and clever left foot to shine further