PDA

View Full Version : Jack Redpath

Rocco Jones
17-07-2016, 12:41 PM
A few are talking about his spot in the side. I think he brings more to the side than pure stats but even they prove that he is easily worth a spot in the 22. Look at his averages in a few KPI for a power-forward (only counting guys who have played as many games as Redpath unless the beat him in overall number)...

- 22nd in AFL for average contested marks/ leading Bulldog
- 6th for average inside 50 marks/ leading Bulldog
- = 18th for average goals/ = leading Bulldog

F'scary
17-07-2016, 12:58 PM
I see Redders as an AFL standard KPF, as he stats you have highlighted suggest. He is playing a touch better than ok and you can see that he hasn't hit the ceiling yet in terms for future improvement. He has some strong points: he is a good leading mark and uses his considerable size well. He has improved his threat in one-on-one contests this season. He is rugged and gives the defenders something to think about from that perspective. He just needs to round off his matches with a bit more consistency, both in gaining possessions and in kicking for goal, in my opinion.

EasternWest
17-07-2016, 01:29 PM
I wasn't sure about him, I still think he's got a lot to improve on. That being said, I like what he's been giving us us and I particularly like his ability to get up the ground on long leads and give our backs a target on the wing/half back line.

Worth persisting with.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm in the camp of he and Boyd can play in the same team now and long term. He's usually a very accurate kick, but not last night. Next year it looks very exciting down forward:

HF: McLean Redpath Crameri
F: Dickson Boyd Stringer

With a rotation of highly competent mid/forwards like Smith, Dahl, Libba, Stevens, Wally and perhaps Jong, Honey, Dunkley etc.

1eyedog
17-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Boyd's not ready, he'll need another year. Redpath is a just player with a low ceiling, what we're seeing is what we'll end up getting, but that's ok because he's effectively taking the attention and doing the grunt work until Boyd gets stronger and can stand up as our primary key forward.

Scorlibo
17-07-2016, 02:20 PM
He's still very inexperienced at the top level, which makes predicting how much improvement he has left tricky. Since this time last year, he's improved enormously. There are a couple of things I really like about Redders. For one, he's deceptively mobile, when the ball hits the deck he's still dangerous and can apply pressure in the forward line. The other thing that is undervalued in TV coverage but which you notice quickly at games is that he often leads into the vision of midfielders. In this respect, he's a good complement to Stringer whom very rarely makes life easy for the mids.

Eastdog
17-07-2016, 08:33 PM
He has been quite good this year and has provided us with a good forward target. Obviously Red still needs more game experience and he'll be more affective hopefully.

Bulldog4life
18-07-2016, 11:46 AM
I like Big Tom and Big Jack as our key forwards coming up to the finals. Unfortunately because of the way we play our forward line seems always crowded which makes it hard for the big boys. If they can't mark it as long as they bring it to ground and we are not out marked like happened with Geelong I am happy.

Mofra
18-07-2016, 12:01 PM
I think most of Clay & Wally's opportunities against the Suns came from players being sucked into covering Redpath/Boyd leads which meant our smalls had more room to move. Picken's roving effort from our talls shouldn't be forgotten either.

That North game earlier this year was horrible for F50 work with Stringer often left to fly against 2-3 opposition defenders. I'm not sure stats really show the full extent of tall forward value to a team, especially considering we are horribly inefficient compared to other top 8 teams when it comes to F50 entries.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 12:05 PM
I like big Jack, he is hard not to like, its a great story, more like the old school full forwards, there's a bit of B Hall to him.

He certainly is required for this years finals campaign. When Crameri returns there may be times one of Boyd and Redpath (with Dickson, Stringer and Maclean) will miss depending on match ups. It will be interesting to see what our best forward line will be. Injuries will be a factor of course.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 12:08 PM
The big question for me is how much better can Jack get? I'm assuming T Boyd will improve dramatically but also sharing the ruck duties.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 12:10 PM
He needs to play for four quarters, he can often go missing in the middle of games. GVGjr mentioned his kicking towards the end of the game seems inaccurate, due to fatigue. I tend to agree with this.

always right
18-07-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't like the media narrative that only one of Redpath and Boyd can play in our side. They are such different players with Boyd our pack marking tall you can bomb the ball to when under pressure, whereas Jack is clearly our best leading forward. Worth persevering with for the rest of the year and reassess when Crameri returns next year.

always right
18-07-2016, 12:14 PM
He needs to play for four quarters, he can often go missing in the middle of games. GVGjr mentioned his kicking towards the end of the game seems inaccurate, due to fatigue. I tend to agree with this.

For such a big bloke he doesn't kick the ball a long way and really seems to be striving for distance when kicking from 50m where his worst attempts were from on Saturday night. Love him with the ball in his hands within 35m.

Mantis
18-07-2016, 05:33 PM
He is going to be a player who needs to take his chances in order to be effective, especially against better teams.

With a limited skill set he needs to be converting at 65%+.

bornadog
18-07-2016, 05:38 PM
He is going to be a player who needs to take his chances in order to be effective, especially against better teams.

currently running at 68% for career and 66% for this year.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2016, 05:40 PM

With a career total of 40.19 he's doing that. Sustaining that conversion record over longer periods will be the challenge, particularly if he plays higher up the ground and is having more shots from more difficult spots on the ground.

LostDoggy
18-07-2016, 06:03 PM
I actually rate Jacks ruckwork when he's been asked to compete. I would love to see him and Boyd both share the duties in the 2nd ruck role.

Especially this week with Bruce St Kilda's second option and Roberton, Gilbert & Dempster the only defenders with some height, I would prefer Redpath to do most of the relief rucking against Bruce, allowing Boyd (who monsters the above mentioned defenders) to stay in the forward 50 and do his thing.

GVGjr
18-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Agreed.

FrediKanoute
18-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Jack's doing fine. Off night with the boots, but more than held his own. Good foil for Boyd/Stringer. Like the balance with him in the team

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Agreed.

I think his spot is probably safe for the remainder of the year - even with Boyd - given no Crameri and our inability to score heavily. He's done well and I like him as a player, the thing that frustrates me is he drops off in second halves repeatedly and his usually good kicking can suffer because of this. How much more can he improve his fitness? Moreover, we need it rectified for finals this year.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Does suspicious things under the covers, and has B.O. according to Luke Dahlhaus.

Cyberdoggie
19-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Agreed.

I think his spot is probably safe for the remainder of the year - even with Boyd - given no Crameri and our inability to score heavily. He's done well and I like him as a player, the thing that frustrates me is he drops off in second halves repeatedly and his usually good kicking can suffer because of this. How much more can he improve his fitness? Moreover, we need it rectified for finals this year.

I think he works extremely hard around the ground. Runs a hell of a lot for a big man forward, which is one of the mandates I think Bevo has put to him if he wants to be in the side. Perhaps a criticism of him in years past.

LostDoggy
19-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Does suspicious things under the covers,

Dutch Ovens.:p

jeemak
20-07-2016, 03:40 PM
I think he works extremely hard around the ground. Runs a hell of a lot for a big man forward, which is one of the mandates I think Bevo has put to him if he wants to be in the side. Perhaps a criticism of him in years past.

He is a hard worker, and I think in some instances we could use him more effectively than we do.

We have a tendency to over possess the footy through the middle and half back and this can hurt our forwards.

Dancin' Douggy
20-07-2016, 05:06 PM
We've seen our share of dud forwards over the years and he's definitely not in the 'talls of shame' file.
He's still only played 24 games. It's easy to forget that. His goal kicking against Port was glorious to behold.

jeemak
20-07-2016, 05:40 PM
We've seen our share of dud forwards over the years and he's definitely not in the 'talls of shame' file.
He's still only played 24 games. It's easy to forget that. His goal kicking against Port was glorious to behold.

Normally you'd think any player who's shown the level Redpath has in his first 24 games would have a promising trajectory, though there's ongoing question marks over his potential for improvement.

Here's an interesting comparison with Hawkins in 2011 and 2012, the years Hawkins was considered to be transitioning from an almost player to a solid performing KPF.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3753&pid2=1759&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2011

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3753&pid2=1759&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2012

I'd argue that Redpath's age hides the fact he started from a considerable way back (which we all know, of course), and I think the comparison with a 23-24 year old Hawkins is reasonably fair in light of that. What I take from this is that we should be expecting Redpath to take the next step - assuming he is going to - within the next 12 months.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2016, 02:41 PM
... unless he does his knee or something :(

Remi Moses
27-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Good luck in recovery to Jack .
I thought he was older, so he's got time on his side .

jeemak
27-07-2016, 10:01 PM
... unless he does his knee or something :(

I really fingered him with that post didn't I?

bulldogtragic
27-07-2016, 10:08 PM
I really fingered him with that post didn't I?

You ACL's Redders. You bastard! :D

bornadog
12-05-2017, 01:09 PM
It is a credit to Jack he has got his body right to make a comeback after what he has gone through.

He has slimmed down worked hard and rewarded for a great first up in the VFL.

Hope he has a big game tonight.

Eastdog
12-05-2017, 01:24 PM
It is a credit to Jack he has got his body right to make a comeback after what he has gone through.

Yes looking forward to see how he goes tonight. Hopefully he can bring that VFL performance to tonight at AFL level. Will be great to see him clunk a few and kick some goals.

Twodogs
12-05-2017, 01:38 PM

I'd love to see him kick a big bag tonight.

Come on Jack. Kick ten.

LostDoggy
12-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Goals are nice, but as long as he leads hard and creates options for us to move the ball into the 50 better than we have been then he will be an invaluable addition. Crashing a few packs wuld be nice too.

Mantis
12-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Goals are nice, but as long as he leads hard and creates options for us to move the ball into the 50 better than we have been then he will be an invaluable addition. Crashing a few packs would be nice too.

Only if it's Zaine Cordy style!

bornadog
12-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Jack's Highlights from last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sHSDfjqUkU

macca
12-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Well done jack for getting back in the team , timing could not any better as his big body is so important . Smash the weagles tonight and kick a bag!

Happy Days
12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Redpath is currently in a position I like to call "the Crameri Valley", whereby I don't rate him, but he's also our biggest chance to kick a bag so he's automatically my favourite player.

So good luck to Big Red, hope you prove me wrong tonight and validate me at the same time.

comrade
12-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Decent return from Red.

Ozza
13-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Better than decent. 3 of our 8 goals. 8 Score involvements, 10 marks. It was a huge return on a night where it was tough for our forwards.

comrade
13-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Better than decent. 3 of our 8 goals. 8 Score involvements, 10 marks. It was a huge return on a night where it was tough for our forwards.

Was refreshing to watch a forward know where to run inside 50.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2017, 12:04 AM

Equal personal best kicks (12) too. That's a very good return, especially throwing his knees around sliding to mark or into blokes. Must give him some confidence in it even more.

Sedat
13-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Decent return from Red.
For a very speculative rookie, to continue improving every year on the list is a testament to his work ethic and natural footy nous. Such a shame the injury robbed him of 12 months of further development and improvement. I had doubts a few years ago that he could get to AFL standard but he clearly is at that level, and who's to say he can't continue getting even better with a good injury run at it.

Eastdog
13-05-2017, 12:19 AM
Very good game tonight from Jack his first one at senior level for the season.

FrediKanoute
13-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Welcome back Jack!

SonofScray
13-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Good return to senior footy. Faded out as a threat up front but worked hard to stay involved up the field. Marked it well. Struggled when the ball spills lose.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2017, 12:25 AM
For all our problems forward, Jack straightened us up.. in his first game back from a terrible injury no less.
Well done. Lots of heart.

jeemak
13-05-2017, 03:33 AM
Jack should be lauded for his successful return.

Well done Jack, great effort to get through the game and impact it.

Bulldog4life
13-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Once he settles in his aggressive forward play will become more prevalent too. His hit on Darling was great.

boydogs
13-05-2017, 04:26 PM
The "cheapies" out the back are actually encouraging signs that he is full of running. You need to be athletic these days and not just a witches hat for defenders to rebound off

westdog54
13-05-2017, 07:49 PM
The bump is well and truly alive. Was a superb hit.

Rapt to see him have a good game. Love Big Red.

Daughter of the West
16-05-2017, 10:05 AM
The bump is well and truly alive. Was a superb hit.

Rapt to see him have a good game. Love Big Red.

Love seeing all the players get around him after his first goal back.

I was really happy to see him storming back into the seniors.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Bevo's plan catches returning Dog by surprise (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-18/bevos-covert-plan-catches-returning-dog-by-surprise)

As LUKE Beveridge dueled with reporters over team selection ahead of the round eight clash with West Coast, Jack Redpath was unaware he was part of a covert operation.

Melbourne Airport was the scene, and Redpath was waiting to board a plane to Perth for his first AFL game in nine months after recovering from a third knee reconstruction.

Beveridge, determined not to let the Eagles get an early read on his side's line-up, refused to reveal that the hulking forward would be making a surprise return.

"I didn't know at all," Redpath told AFL.com.au.

"I live in Footscray, and Jason Johannisen and I like to get to the airport early and have a coffee.
"'JJ' picked me up at 8am, so there was nothing (secretive) going on that I knew about.

"He's a very smart man 'Bevo', and he knows what he's doing, so I just got told I was playing (on the Tuesday) and didn't worry about too much else."

Redpath was also "surprised" his diligent rehabilitation would be rewarded with a start against the Eagles, with the 26-year-old playing just one VFL game after a very cautious recovery program.

But his shock inclusion reaped immediate dividends, with the popular Bulldog mobbed by teammates after kicking the first goal of the game.

In the end his three-goal performance, albeit in a losing cause, vindicated the belief he could make it back from another arduous period on the sidelines.

"As forward, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go into the game and kick a few goals," Redpath said.

"At times you do struggle when you've just had surgery and been on crutches for two weeks, and you begin to think 'am I able to do this again?'

"But I trained my arse off for nine months and right now I'm in a pretty good position to play (in the seniors for the) rest of the year."

Much of his time in the rehab group was spent with Mitch Wallis, as the midfielder suffered a badly broken leg on the same night last July that Redpath's knee gave way.

The pair inspirede each other on a regular basis to the point where Wallis returned to the VFL just one week before Redpath did.

"I feel bad for saying this, but I felt a little bit lucky that I did my knee the same night Mitch got injured, because it took the attention away from me, which is always good," Redpath said.

"What happened to Mitch was horrific, but the way he's come back has been amazing."
The next challenge for Redpath is to retain his place in a forward line that has plenty of competition for spots.

Fellow key forward and big-name recruit Travis Cloke could be passed fit for Friday night's clash with Geelong after missing several weeks with broken ribs, while premiership big men Tom Boyd and Jordan Roughead can also play in attack in conjunction with their customary ruck roles.

"It's always good when you've got a bit of competition, because each week you have to be on and you can't afford to have a bad game," Redpath said.

"I've always played well when someone is pushing for my spot, and if I'm pushing for someone else's spot, I'm going to give it everything I've got.

"I'd love to play with Trav, because I've never played with another big forward.
"He might be able to take the best defender, and I can kick a few more goals."

Despite being in his sixth season at Whitten Oval, the former rookie has never signed a contract longer than 12 months, but he feels that could be about to change.

Because as he prepares to return to the ground he debuted at back in 2014, the out-of-contract Bulldog will walk into Simonds Stadium armed with an unshakable belief he belongs at the highest level.

The qualified carpenter is keen to build on his 26 games in the red, white and blue, before a likely return to his hometown of Kyneton to finish off his career where it started.

"I've signed six straight one-year deals, so why not make it seven?" Redpath joked.
"I think I've proved over the last two weeks I can definitely still play and that I am only going to get better.

"It's always nice to head home, but hopefully I've got a few years to go at the Dogs, and then maybe when I'm 35 I'll head back there to play."

Axe Man
18-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Good on you Jack. If he can stay on the park and play some good footy over the next couple of months I would have no problem giving him a 2 year deal. He deserves it.

ratsmac
18-05-2017, 07:27 PM
I love his confidence. I hope he takes the league by storm.

josie
18-05-2017, 07:33 PM
I love Big Red and his big heart. Looking forward to Stringer''s return as I think Stringer plays well beside him.

bornadog
18-05-2017, 08:45 PM
I love Big Red and his big heart. Looking forward to Stringer''s return as I think Stringer plays well beside him.

Be great to watch Jack and Cloke tomorrow night. Two contested mark beasts.

Mantis
19-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Be great to watch Jack and Cloke tomorrow night. Two contested mark beasts.

Is Redpath really a contested mark player? I see him as a 'hit up' type.

comrade
19-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Is Redpath really a contested mark player? I see him as a 'hit up' type.

So is Cloke. I wouldn't really class either of them as contested beasts.

Mantis
19-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Cloke has the ability to still take contested marks either in a pack or strong one on one contests... Not sure Jack does.

bornadog
19-05-2017, 10:08 AM

Just pumping them up :D

Both can take a good strong mark, something we have lacked in the forward 50.

Eastdog
20-05-2017, 04:02 PM
How did we rate Jack's game last night. Was good the week before but wasn't featured in my bankers last night. I think we can't be too hard on him either as he is finding his way back at senior level.

Twodogs
21-05-2017, 03:15 AM
How did we rate Jack's game last night. Was good the week before but wasn't featured in my bankers last night. I think we can't be too hard on him either as he is finding his way back at senior level.

Often a player returning from a long term injury will struggle in their second game back.

lemmon
21-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Big concern is how slow he looked. It's going to be bloody tough having a career as a leading forward if you don't have the burst to create seperation.

GVGjr
21-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Big concern is how slow he looked. It's going to be bloody tough having a career as a leading forward if you don't have the burst to create seperation.

To be honest he looked really slow in his return match for Footscray. Strong but slow.
He has missed a large slice of footy so must be underdone.

westbulldog
21-05-2017, 11:30 AM
I cut Jack a bit of slack with only 2 games back. He kicked 2 against geelong whilst Hawkins kicked one.

ratsmac
21-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I cut Jack a bit of slack with only 2 games back. He kicked 2 against geelong whilst Hawkins kicked one.

It wasn't a game for big forwads. Somehow Taylor kicks 5 though.

Mantis
22-05-2017, 08:45 AM
The piece of play where he lost sight of a high ball and then took an eternity to turn was pretty embarrassing.. After 3 knee reco's Jack is now a very limited player and I don't think he is the answer.. Needs to do everything he can extremely well to remain viable, but I prefer others.

Rocco Jones
22-05-2017, 11:11 AM
My concern with Redpath is his inability to apply defensive pressure if he isn't directly in marking contest. 2 tackles in his first 3 games.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 10:40 AM
He moves around F50 like a forward from the 80s. That mark and goal early was all for the night. With Cloke, Stringer and Dickson back we have options and I think he needs to return to the VFL to work on his fitness and match conditioning.

1eyedog
23-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Whoops

bulldogtragic
12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Redders seems a weird case. His career seems to be, have an OK game, but then a poor one. He stays in (if he doesn't get himself suspended) and plays an ok game. But then follows it up with a poor one.

He's still out of contract. Is this the best we can expect from him?

azabob
12-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I think he is what he is.

Do we keep him? Not sure. All depends on where do we see Tom Boyd playing 2018 and beyond?

anfo27
12-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Redders seems a weird case. His career seems to be, have an OK game, but then a poor one. He stays in (if he doesn't get himself suspended) and plays an ok game. But then follows it up with a poor one.

I dont think we can afford to play him off 6 day breaks or coming back from an interstate trip. His turning circle is a worry & his kicking for goal is poor for someone who kicks the ball well. Heard Carlton are into him.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2017, 10:58 AM
I think he is what he is.

Do we keep him? Not sure. All depends on where do we see Tom Boyd playing 2018 and beyond?

I dont think we can afford to play him off 6 day breaks or coming back from an interstate trip. His turning circle is a worry & his kicking for goal is poor for someone who kicks the ball well. Heard Carlton are into him.

I'm wondering if he can become consistent. Whether he stays, or another club grab him (interesting), if he can become consistent we could persist. But if this is as good as it gets, if we grabbed hypothetically a Lever and could move Adams/Young forward with Cloke & Boyd, an inconsistent and limited forward must get JMac thinking.

GVGjr
12-08-2017, 11:24 AM
I think he is at best a 50/50 prospect for getting another year with us. There are some things he does that I wish some more talented guys would do but as others have mentioned he is a bit of a liability when the ball hits the ground.

I'd like to see him succeed but I have some doubts around him being a consistent performer.

anfo27
12-08-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm wondering if he can become consistent. Whether he stays, or another club grab him (interesting), if he can become consistent we could persist. But if this is as good as it gets, if we grabbed hypothetically a Lever and could move Adams/Young forward with Cloke & Boyd, an inconsistent and limited forward must get JMac thinking.

He could be a good backup who wont be on much coin but if we want him in our best forward line set-up then its a no because we dont have the players around him to complement his game.

macca
12-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Redpath does not take enough contest marks and his body positioning is awful in protecting the drop zone. He needs to learn to bring the ball to ground and in favour of our smaller players . IM not sure if we practice that but how many crumbing goals do we get compared to other sides with big forwards like SYD, west coke , adelaide and port ?

lemmon
12-08-2017, 12:43 PM
I see both Redpath and Cloke as good depth-standard players. Their limitations around mobility, goal kicking, ball at ground level etc, mean they can come in and do a job but they aren't going to have much of an impact against good sides and good defenders.

I don't mind keeping one or both around as depth, but the real issue is our lack of a marquee key forward who can kick goals and do the job against very good key defenders.

To find one you either draft em early (we haven't done it since Jarrad Grant) or you buy one that was drafted early (we did that and decided he was a ruckman).

I don't mind keeping Redpath as depth, but we desperately need to find our marquee tall forward to play ahead of him, I see it as more pressing than getting another key defender. It might be Boyd (we won't know untill we put him there and leave him there) or it might mean going to the draft, using an early pick and developing one (doesn't really fit our window).

Go_Dogs
12-08-2017, 01:40 PM
I'd prefer to see Tom Boyd with one of Adams or Young up front next year.

Redpath has been unlucky with injury which hasn't assisted in this area, but he's not getting more mobile and the game will continue to become more challenging for him. I'm not convinced about his future at AFL level.

ledge
12-08-2017, 01:58 PM
He is very good at running straight and hitting packs . He is vey good if we deliver it to him properly.
Why is it after we have a loss we name players and throw them to the wolves ?
We lost get over it.
We sound like the media ., they are going at Wallis and Libber, only the start of the year they are praising Wallis and now want him traded ?
We aren't a bottom club we might not make finals, we won a gf early in my opinion . Let Young , Dale , Williams etc get some games and let's see over the next 3 to 5 years.
Let's not forget our injury run as well.

Twodogs
12-08-2017, 03:08 PM

I think he is at best a 50/50 prospect for getting another year with us. There are some things he does that I wish some more talented guys would do but as others have mentioned he is a bit of a liability when the ball hits the ground.

I'd like to see him succeed but I have some doubts around him being a consistent performer.

Like lead at the ball carrier for instance?

Agree with what you say. He's the sort of player you really wish would succeed and every now and then he looks like he might be on the cusp but he never quite gets there because he gets injured or suspended. He does seem to consistently kick 2 or 3 goals a game even if he has a quiet one though.

I've given up on him being a superstar or a good-ordinary player. Whether we keep him depends on what our realistic expectations are of him. Being the main go to forward isn't going to happen, can he be a reliable third tall with Boyd/Adams as the main forwards and a back up in case of injury?

I'd prefer to see Tom Boyd with one of Adams or Young up front next year.

Redpath has been unlucky with injury which hasn't assisted in this area, but he's not getting more mobile and the game will continue to become more challenging for him. I'm not convinced about his future at AFL level.

I'd like to see Boyd develop mainly as a forward next year too. Wouldn't mind seeing Young play in the forward line the next couple of weeks to see how he goes. After playing one out against Patton last night he might enjoy a new challenge himself.

Bulldog4life
12-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Out of all players on our list Red averages the most goals per game. Better than Stringer and Dickson. He would have kicked 2 last nite but Wallis cut off the perfect pass to Red and dropped it. Red stays in my opinion.

Eastdog
12-08-2017, 03:33 PM
I like Red. He has been a decent forward this year for us in an area which we just struggle at and need reviewing.

bornadog
12-08-2017, 04:45 PM
He is very good at running straight and hitting packs . He is vey good if we deliver it to him properly.
Why is it after we have a loss we name players and throw them to the wolves ?
We lost get over it.
We sound like the media ., they are going at Wallis and Libber, only the start of the year they are praising Wallis and now want him traded ?
We aren't a bottom club we might not make finals, we won a gf early in my opinion . Let Young , Dale , Williams etc get some games and let's see over the next 3 to 5 years.
Let's not forget our injury run as well.

Because 6 touches doesn't cut it at AFL level.

Bulldog4life
12-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Because 6 touches doesn't cut it at AFL level.

Yet his ranking points were higher than Wallis and Libba. Go figure

bornadog
12-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Yet his ranking points were higher than Wallis and Libba. Go figure

You know what, I don't know what ranking points are, but 6 touches not good enough. Wally and Libba - same.

boydogs
12-08-2017, 08:23 PM
I don't think Redpath is the problem. Takes a lot of marks and generally a good kick for goal. He's borderline 22, but it's our "good" players letting us down. Wallis, Libba, Picken, Stringer

Topdog
13-08-2017, 02:06 AM
He is no longer a good kick for goal

Hotdog60
13-08-2017, 08:38 AM
He is no longer a good kick for goal

Yeah, he's caught the bug that has been at our club for that last few years.

ratsmac
13-08-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't think Redpath is the problem. Takes a lot of marks and generally a good kick for goal. He's borderline 22, but it's our "good" players letting us down. Wallis, Libba, Picken, Stringer

Your dead right. He's no Kennedy that's for certain but he does an okay job with the way our forward line functions right now. We are a disorganised bunch up forward and there are a few who are more guilty of being terribly out of form than Red. Redpath's form is neither good or bad from what I've ever seen from him. It's on par with probably his averages. The question is is whether he is the full forward to take us forward?

Opposition sides will always congest the 50 (as we do too) but good forward lines create space when there isn't any. Do we have players smart enough to get the forward line working? We have/had Wood, Murphy, Morris and Moyd keeping out defenders organised and disciplined but our forwards seem to be rudderless. Is Red the General to control and direct our forwards? Redpath hasn't shown he has the leadership qualities to be that man IMO. I was hoping Cloke would be able to organise our forwards better but he seems to be trying to just stay in our best 22 himself.

Twodogs
13-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Your dead right. He's no Kennedy that's for certain but he does an okay job with the way our forward line functions right now. We are a disorganised bunch up forward and there are a few who are more guilty of being terribly out of form than Red. Redpath's form is neither good or bad from what I've ever seen from him. It's on par with probably his averages. The question is is whether he is the full forward to take us forward?

Opposition sides will always congest the 50 (as we do too) but good forward lines create space when there isn't any. Do we have players smart enough to get the forward line working? We have/had Wood, Murphy, Morris and Moyd keeping out defenders organised and disciplined but our forwards seem to be rudderless. Is Red the General to control and direct our forwards? Redpath hasn't shown he has the leadership qualities to be that man IMO. I was hoping Cloke would be able to organise our forwards better but he seems to be trying to just stay in our best 22 himself.

It's a good point about an inexperienced forward line. We saw what trouble a relatively inexperienced backline had, at the ground you could see how easy it was for the GWS forwards to seperate our defenders and create plenty of space to run into.

Would it be worth throwing Murphy forward to do the job? Gee we need JJback.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2017, 02:35 PM
According to Stevo Carlton into Red

bulldogtragic
13-08-2017, 02:39 PM
According to Stevo Carlton into Red

Someone posted last week that Richmond have also offered him 2 years. BAD said today we've offered him 1 (+ 1 if targets met).

Seems he's a popular boy. But i doubt he's worth much at all on the open market if he wants to leave.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2017, 01:04 AM
If I were him, 2 years security after his knees? Take it and run.

For us, we need to develop a better option long term.

ReLoad
14-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Heard a decent rumour that Norf are into Stringer in a very big way.......

Would mean keeping Red for sure.

G-Mo77
14-08-2017, 10:50 AM

So what. Unless we're willing to rip up his contarct it doesn't matter how much they're into him.

Mofra
14-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Not a popular opinion, but if they took Stringer giving us picks & cash to lure Kelly to the club I'd say yes.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Not a popular opinion, but if they took Stringer giving us picks & cash to lure Kelly to the club I'd say yes.

In a heartbeat.

Twodogs
14-08-2017, 01:37 PM

I'm coming around to the idea too. Not that I am overly keen to get Stringer out of the place (the prospect of him playing for another club terrifies me TBH) but the prospect of a Bont/Kelly double act in the middle is exciting enough for me to come to terms with my anxiety.

I wonder how long it will be before the rumours start appearing in the paper?

Cyberdoggie
14-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Not sure how we would get Kelly if he doesn't go to North.

Personally i'd never give Stringer up. He's still young and has had to go through a lot personally
the last couple of years. He's an integral part of the team and if you start trading those types away then you
are really left with no soul. We won the premiership last year largely because of the group as a whole's ability to
galvanise together. We all talked about the "we all love each other" factor, well there are certain people you just can't trade out
for more than football reasons and I think Jake is one of those.
Besides we have so few players with X factor about them, and with these guys you just have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

Bullies
14-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Redpath just copped 2 weeks. Maybe he played his last game with the dogs Friday night.

bornadog
14-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Redpath just copped 2 weeks. Maybe he played his last game with the dogs Friday night.

If we make finals, I doubt he plays.

Happy Days
14-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Striking Phil Davis?

Doing the lord's work IMO.

bornadog
14-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Striking Phil Davis?

Wasn't even a strike, a slap on the face - 3 weeks for that, and can accept 2

AndrewP6
14-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Not sure how we would get Kelly if he doesn't go to North.

Personally i'd never give Stringer up. He's still young and has had to go through a lot personally
the last couple of years. He's an integral part of the team and if you start trading those types away then you
are really left with no soul. We won the premiership last year largely because of the group as a whole's ability to
galvanise together. We all talked about the "we all love each other" factor, well there are certain people you just can't trade out
for more than football reasons and I think Jake is one of those.
Besides we have so few players with X factor about them, and with these guys you just have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

Agree 100%

bulldogtragic
14-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Has he played his last game with us?

lemmon
14-08-2017, 05:49 PM
He's clearly not that bright after just returning from a jumper punch charge. Can't really blame anyone for not getting an extended run.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2017, 05:54 PM
He's clearly not that bright after just returning from a jumper punch charge. Can't really blame anyone for not getting an extended run.

He's like a less talented Jarrad Waite. If it's not injury, it's a mindless suspension that breaks the games continuity.

bornadog
14-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Have you actually seen the incident? You will change your mind if you did.

Ozza
14-08-2017, 06:03 PM
At worst, Red's was a forceful push to the side of the neck.

The jumper punch I'll wear that that one was a stupid act.

The 'knee' into the Melbourne player last year was absolute nonsense and just inadvertently happened in a wrestle.

GVGjr
14-08-2017, 07:54 PM

And so they should. I'm not sure of the Redders and Stringer comparison though. Stringer leaving might be better news for Crameri.

Flamethrower
14-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Striking Phil Davis?

Davis must have a sharp tongue on the field....plenty of forwards have been fined or suspended punching him clearly in retaliation to something.

ratsmac
14-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Lance Franklin got off the exact same thing against Hodge a couple weeks ago. Red tried to push his shoulder as Davis pushes Red and his hands slip high. MRP are a joke. Red would of been better of kicking Davis in the face.

I really hope we challenge this shite just for the sake of justice.

From now on our players aren't allowed to touch oppostion players unless its with our face on their foot.:mad:

always right
15-08-2017, 12:25 AM
According to the AFL website he was done for "low impact to the head". I assume the reference to the head rather than the neck, has contributed to the penalty. Would the situation change if the club challenged on the basis that contact was made to Davis's neck and not his head?

MrMahatma
15-08-2017, 01:02 AM
I'd question keeping him on the list. The suspension is a joke though.

merantau
15-08-2017, 01:36 AM
I would keep Redpath. He will return our faith in him with a big Finals Series if we make it and a huge 2018!

Happy Days
15-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Davis must have a sharp tongue on the field....plenty of forwards have been fined or suspended punching him clearly in retaliation to something.

Or maybe he's just a diving wanker?

Bulldog Joe
15-08-2017, 10:31 AM
The club absolutely needs to challenge this one.

We continually roll over to rubbish MRP assessments and it just must stop.

bornadog
15-08-2017, 10:48 AM
The club absolutely needs to challenge this one.

We continually roll over to rubbish MRP assessments and it just must stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6T2dMpUAxM

Twodogs
15-08-2017, 12:21 PM

He's a sniper with a punchable head. Opponents with punchable heads are dangerous things.

One of my old coaches in juniors told my biggest advantage in football was my "supremely punchable head" :D

always right
15-08-2017, 01:03 PM
According to Murph's press conference, we are challenging Redpath's suspension.

bornadog
15-08-2017, 01:07 PM
According to Murph's press conference, we are challenging Redpath's suspension.

So we should. When is a push with open hand reportable?. Not even in the rule book

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Found guilty and gets 3 weeks.

What a *!*!*!*!ing joke the AFL has become. Wines gets off, Greene gets off, Houli gets 4 for a legit punch and Redpath 3 for a open handed push. Disgraceful.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2017, 08:18 PM
They have lost the plot. And they're losing me

KT31
15-08-2017, 08:19 PM
@$@?ing joke !!!

Eastdog
15-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Unfair Jack doesn't deserve 3 weeks for that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-08-2017, 08:23 PM
To be honest i really don't know why we appealed. Yep it was a ridiculous charge, but when you see what others are going for with the revised rules around striking i really am staggered we bothered.

kruder
15-08-2017, 08:24 PM
As expected sums up our year really. I hope it isn't the last time we see big red in the bulldogs colours while he has limitations he is one of the few natural forwards on our list.

Bulldog4life
15-08-2017, 08:35 PM
When is a push far worse than a kick in the face?When you play in the AFL.

Eastdog
15-08-2017, 08:35 PM
When is a push far worse than a kick in the face?When you play in the AFL.

Just doesn't make sense.

bornadog
15-08-2017, 08:36 PM
To be honest i really don't know why we appealed. Yep it was a ridiculous charge, but when you see what others are going for with the revised rules around striking i really am staggered we bothered.

I am glad we appealed as we didn't just take it up the cracker like we have in the past. Nobody can stand back and accept something like that. I wonder if we can challenge even further, some how. Perhaps in a law court, as this is ridiculous, it is something that happens a hundred times a game. The number of times JJ copped it this year and no one was reported if that is what they think.

The tribunal, the MRP and the whole AFL have losted it, especially this year. I am just flabbergasted with the events this week.

Rocket Science
15-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Somewhere, Trent Cotchin is sitting quietly chuckling to himself.

AndrewP6
15-08-2017, 08:43 PM
And they say they want to battle the game of soccer to keep people interested in our game. FFS. A push with an open hand is seen to be worse than kicking someone in the face. I don't know. I'm just about done.

Bulldog4life
15-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Somewhere, Trent Cotchin is sitting quietly chuckling to himself.

And Phil Davis too. A known stager

Twodogs
15-08-2017, 08:46 PM
I am glad we appealed as we didn't just take it up the cracker like we have in the past. Nobody can stand back and accept something like that. I wonder if we can challenge even further, some how. Perhaps in a law court, as this is ridiculous, it is something that happens a hundred times a game. The number of times JJ copped it this year and no one was reported if that is what they think.

The tribunal, the MRP and the whole AFL have losted it, especially this year. I am just flabbergasted with the events this week.

I'm thinking it was just the formality of getting the appeal out the way with before we do what we were going to do anyway and appeal to the high court. It all seems a bit bizarre that we took Rob Starry in to run the appeal but it sounded like it was amateur hour in the actual hearing.

I think we are up to something,

bornadog
15-08-2017, 08:48 PM
You can do this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/video-jason-johannisen-left-dazed-after-headon-collision-with-goalpost-against-adelaide/news-story/36a8e3219133e6c9fd5e9bfe6a5ec339

and get away with it,

do this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHQn_KYU0AAOiHo.jpg

No Probs

Rocket Science
15-08-2017, 08:55 PM
While the Greene incident is an anomaly I suppose, with sufficient grey area -- the truly galling comparison is Wines leaving his feet to elbow an opponent in the head, which players routinely and uncontroversially cop time for, yet was deemed kosher by the MRP.

I'd be fascinated to hear an official explanation.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Essentially the MRP are saying Redpath, instead of pushing Davis on the shoulder, should have either kicked him in the face, or, at the next contest, lined Davis up, waited for him to dispose the ball, then leave the ground and bump into his head with his shoulder.

Speechless. Only in the AFL.

merantau
15-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Redpath has not evenly remotely approached the level of violence that Tip Rat Greene has visited on his opponents this year. Jack gets 2 weeks for responding to contact with an open handed push. Greene kicks an opponent in the face to avoid being tackled fairly and gets off.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Redpath has not evenly remotely approached the level of violence that Tip Rat Greene has visited on his opponents this year. Jack gets 2 weeks for responding to contact with an open handed push. Greene kicks an opponent in the face to avoid being tackled fairly and gets off.

Oh its a complete joke. And yet as soon as i heard we were appealing i knew we were wasting our time. No way they were giing to diminish their stance on the issue - irrespective of the impact..and from there it was reasonable to also assume they would not find special grounds to forgo the imposition of the 1 game additional penalty for the unsuccessful appeal.

KT31
15-08-2017, 10:09 PM
With the president now set, Karate training for all our players in the off season and we can take out a few opposition players each week.😬

westbulldog
15-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Lets call the Redpath and Greene decisions for what they are.......inconsistent, bewildering, bullshit.

AndrewP6
15-08-2017, 10:26 PM
I say we play Redpath this week, and when asked to explain, tell them we were "protecting the space". :mad:

always right
15-08-2017, 11:22 PM
TBH....I'm more annoyed that Wines only got a fine. Beggars belief that he can hit a bloke high and late....and pretty much get off.

As for Greene, it's staggering how blatantly the MRP manipulated their review to ensure he got off with a fine.

Twodogs
15-08-2017, 11:24 PM
TBH....I'm more annoyed that Wines got off. Beggars belief that he can hit a bloke high and late....and get off.

Take the punch out and it's close to what Ali Fahour did. Even though Wines didn't punch anyone I imagine the force of his shoulder smashing into the guys face wouldn't be much less.

Doc26
16-08-2017, 12:26 AM
You can do this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/video-jason-johannisen-left-dazed-after-headon-collision-with-goalpost-against-adelaide/news-story/36a8e3219133e6c9fd5e9bfe6a5ec339

and get away with it,

do this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHQn_KYU0AAOiHo.jpg

No Probs

And yet the week prior Chook Lotto deem in their great wisdom to declare this action worthy of a suspension, and rub Mumford out. I just can't see the difference.

The only question more curious than this is where is Gil throughout all this mess? Is he still in hiding post his mates' great fall from grace? #MissingInAction #SleepingAtTheWheel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h8rprb7ylu3w5r/Photo%2015-8-17%2C%2011%2019%2045%20pm.jpg?raw=1

westdog54
16-08-2017, 12:29 AM
We may as well now appeal to the AFL Appeals board. He can't be suspended any further.

On what we've seen the AFL includes the neck in its definition of 'head'.

WBFC4FFC
16-08-2017, 06:55 PM
We may as well now appeal to the AFL Appeals board. He can't be suspended any further.

On what we've seen the AFL includes the neck in its definition of 'head'.

Applying a consistent interpretation is all that the average fan asks for. Not the flavour of the month target as we still get.

PS: Anyone remember how we missed Southern in the 1997 finals for they were cracking-down on Wrestling. Last game against the Hawks, Platten and co were going the knuckle and targetting Southern, knowing he was not able to retaliate, due to wrestling in prior rounds. Southern does not engage yet the AFL suspends him for 2 weeks!!!!

Go_Dogs
16-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Still in shock about this one.

The comments in this thread are spot on. Terrible decision.

Flamethrower
16-08-2017, 07:43 PM
I was hoping the post tribunal presser had gone like this....

Journo: "So Jack, what did you learn?"

Jack: "Next time I should just kick him in the head".

This decision just beggars belief.

azabob
16-08-2017, 07:53 PM
The supposed difference between Mumford and Wines was the medical report.

jeemak
17-08-2017, 01:46 AM
The supposed difference between Mumford and Wines was the medical report.

That doesn't take the intent out of the equation, and only enhances the "chook lotto" aspect.

It's clear the AFL is hedging bets to avoid a controversial finals series. Wines would have been done for many weeks if it was an infringement executed at the beginning of the year. Jack Redpath is collateral in the justification of action and relevance.

craigsahibee
17-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Ok everyone.

Those that are going to Ballarat this weekend need to rummage through the linen cupboard and grab some spray paint to make up some #FreeJack43 signs to send a clear message to the AFL.

G-Mo77
17-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Puts tin foil hat on.

MRP always seems like a stitch up for us. Our players get whacked and it seems that so many get off. It's like a green light to belt our players. The matches against the plastics there is always something that happens and more often than not they're playing the next week.

Then any of our boys go up we're very rarely given any leniency.

I don't know, seems we always take it up the behind MRP day.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Puts tin foil hat on.

MRP always seems like a stitch up for us. Our players get whacked and it seems that so many get off. It's like a green light to belt our players. The matches against the plastics there is always something that happens and more often than not they're playing the next week.

I know the interpretations have changed since last years prelim, but wow if GWS had won they would *should* have had a fair few players suspended for the grand final. A few direct fists to faces. In any case, even if the current interpretations were in the AFL would have found a way to let the giants players off.

All meaningless anyway because WE won the game and went on to win a flag. Thank you very much

bulldogsthru&thru
17-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Geez I just imagined how bitter and angry (more so) I would be these days if we had been defeated in last years prelim. But we won!! Woohoo

Twodogs
17-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Geez I just imagined how bitter and angry (more so) I would be these days if we had been defeated in last years prelim. But we won!! Woohoo

The good thing is we don't have to think about that. The space in our brain that would have dealt with that is now full of the sublime memory of a premiership.

Bulldog4life
17-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Puts tin foil hat on.

Agree. But what can you expect when Nathan Burke is in charge. He hates us.

azabob
17-08-2017, 03:26 PM
1 week for the slap
1 week for the bad record
1 week for the poor attempt at the appeals board.

Phil Davis is partially to blame and clearly the system is flawed. It's not the MRP fault, they only grade accordingly to the AFL legislation.

S Coast Simon
17-08-2017, 03:32 PM
It is another example of the AFL (I blame the commission) doing as they please. It is all about the dollar these days. Remember Barry Hall getting of a punch so he could play the grand final. How Green was let off is a disgrace to every parent trying to teach their kids to play fair. And Redpath for two weeks for a push that went high is just a joke. Davis should be suspended for acting. We are following soccer with the acting these days. The umps need to be smarter out there

bornadog
17-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Chris Scott sticking up for Redpath and Dahl.

G-Mo77
17-08-2017, 04:43 PM

Surprisingly most seem pretty supportive. If there is any positive out of this it will be that there is a shake up for the MRP. I'd personally like to see them face the dragon like the Tarly's

azabob
17-08-2017, 05:09 PM

I saw a headline saying Nathan Buckley also questioning the consistency.

aker39
17-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Surprisingly most seem pretty supportive. If there is any positive out of this it will be that there is a shake up for the MRP. I'd personally like to see them face the dragon like the Tarly's

Chris Scott was more than pretty supportive. He was very strong and basically said MRP used their discretion to give Greene a fine for a kick to the face but didn't use that same discretion for Redpath's push.

KT31
17-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Chris Scott was more than pretty supportive. He was very strong and basically said MRP used their discretion to give Greene a fine for a kick to the face but didn't use that same discretion for Redpath's push.

Just when you think someone's a complete tool and doesn't have a redeeming bone in his body, he goes and does this.

Twodogs
17-08-2017, 06:51 PM
We should demand that there's a tiny Toby Greene kicking a little Lukey D in the face in the next NAB ad. Actually I could just make one and pit it on YouTube. Annoy the sponsor and then maybe the message will get through.

westbulldog
19-08-2017, 12:54 AM
What planet is the MRP on ? No wonder Bartel left.

"Jimmy Bartel says it’s time to overhaul the Match Review Panel, admitting he felt “uncomfortable” with some of the penalties he helped hand down this season.
The former Geelong star and 3AW Football analyst has parted ways with the MRP three weeks out from finals, citing increased work and business commitments."

and from a separate article :-

"But the jury - consisting of Richard Loveridge, Paul Williams and Stewart Loewe - took 15 minutes to return a guilty verdict."

MrMahatma
19-08-2017, 01:02 AM
We should demand that there's a tiny Toby Greene kicking a little Lukey D in the face in the next NAB ad. Actually I could just make one and pit it on YouTube. Annoy the sponsor and then maybe the message will get through.

If you did some that showcased all of the AFL's bad calls recently, you get attention.

craigsahibee
22-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Just when you think someone's a complete tool and doesn't have a redeeming bone in his body, he goes and does this.

Even tool's get some things right sometimes.

Testekill
23-08-2017, 10:56 PM

To take the sting out of this, I'd assume it's Scott wanting to get in some digs at the MRP.

EasternWest
23-08-2017, 10:59 PM

In football parlance that's known as "doing a Suckling".

bulldogtragic
23-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Anyone else have the feeling we've seen the last of Redders in the RW&B?

Twodogs
23-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Even tool's get some things right sometimes.

We said that even an idiot could see that Greene kicked Dahl in the face and now we've got proof.

KT31
23-08-2017, 11:37 PM
We said that even an idiot could see that Greene kicked Dahl in the face and now we've got proof.

Like, like

bornadog
23-08-2017, 11:39 PM

No not at all, I think he will want to stay.

Bulldog4life
23-08-2017, 11:41 PM

I hope so. I like Red

boydogs
23-08-2017, 11:41 PM

I reckon the AFLPA is upset that we've made him challenge and get suspended for his first game at a new club

bulldogtragic
24-08-2017, 12:13 AM

Is he not happy with our contract? He's had it for a while now, and allegedly multiple offers from other clubs. Still no ink from him despite his year being over from an AFL perspective.

bornadog
17-09-2018, 09:53 PM
All the best to big Red, shame his three knees recos has ruined his career.

The Doctor
17-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Redders along with Clay Smith was my son's favourite player. Loved the big fella

Ozza
17-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Always liked big Red. Thought that we always had a better forward structure with him on the park.
Appears to have been one of the most popular players to have come through the club in recent times, and in our premiership year when he did his knee, didn’t make it about himself and put the team first.
Best of luck to him.

Jeanette54
17-09-2018, 10:29 PM
My most vivid memory of Jack was the 2014 VFL Grand Final. I was sitting about two rows back between the wing and our half forward when Jack fixed his eyes on a Hawks player gathering the ball. The intent in his eyes was obvious, and I think I involuntarily moved back in the seat anticipating the upcoming contact. Jack tackled to hurt, that's for sure.

Also his tackle on Schoenmakers to earn a shot at goal was another memorable highlight.

Thanks Jack, a true bulldog when it came to effort, and also dedication to rehab.

josie
17-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Love ya Big Red. The team walked a little taller when you were on the park. And the fans loved your bulldog spirit - especially those bone crunching tackles. One of my fave bulldog memories is you in the ruck shoving it down Stringer’s throat for a stunning passage of play culminating in a goal. All the best and glad to hear in your farewell speech to the fans you will be a bulldog for life.

bornadog
18-09-2018, 12:01 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnSrKNjU8AA9g20.jpg

chef
18-09-2018, 06:18 AM
They both have quality instagram.

SlimPickens
18-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Gave his all for the club and genuinely cared for his teammates. Finished his career part of the leadership group and certainly showed he could play the game. Go well Big Red!

bulldogtragic
18-09-2018, 08:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnSrKNjU8AA9g20.jpg

Buku Khamis liking our players Instagram already.

merantau
18-09-2018, 08:35 AM
All I can say is "I hate the injury God with a passion." Good luck Jack. And thanks We were a better team with you in it.

SonofScray
18-09-2018, 09:15 AM
A player who earned the respect of the fans through hard work and effort, a very good kick for goal too, which is somewhat of a niche skill at the Whitten Oval. Teams need blokes like Redpath, we were fortunate he kept at it and worked his way into the leadership group. Something to be proud of.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Good luck to Jack, he did well to overcome a lot of obstacles.

Certainly proved he was capable at the level.

Had it not been for injury, he had the ability to be one of the better KPFs given his aggression and goal kicking skills.

dukedog
18-09-2018, 05:39 PM
As much as some people say they hate the players with mongrel from other teams. Everyone loves it if they play for their team. Big red had it. He had it at a level where is was noticed by us and wasn't over exaggerated by opponent fans.... Gutted to see him leave. One guy i really hope is successful after footy.

Go_Dogs
18-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Sacrificed himself for the team. His knees were clearly shot at the start of the year, he could barely change direction, but stumped up and played a couple of games before succumbing to the injury. Says a lot about his dedication to the team and his team mates.

Well done, Jack.

Mantis
19-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Sacrificed himself for the team. His knees were clearly shot at the start of the year, he could barely change direction, but stumped up and played a couple of games before succumbing to the injury. Says a lot about his dedication to the team and his team mates.

Well done, Jack.

Yet some brainiac rewarded him with a 2yr contract prior to the season beginning.

Nothing against Red who I hope enjoys the next phase of his life, but some of the list mgt. made under the previous regime were an unmitigated *!*!*!*!-up!

ledge
19-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Yet some brainiac rewarded him with a 2yr contract prior to the season beginning.

Nothing against Red who I hope enjoys the next phase of his life, but some of the list mgt. made under the previous regime were an unmitigated *!*!*!*!-up!

Maybe it was to make him try one more time . He always got one year contracts and they took the gamble if he came good it would have been seen as a great get.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Top bloke as evident by his leadership group upgrade, I wonder if we will keep him on in some capacity ?
Make him the harden up coach.

Mantis
19-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Maybe it was to make him try one more time . He always got one year contracts and they took the gamble if he came good it would have been seen as a great get.

That's a ludicrus strategy if true.

Thank *!*!*!*! McCartney is someone else's problem.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Top bloke as evident by his leadership group upgrade, I wonder if we will keep him on in some capacity ?
Make him the harden up coach.

Carlton reportedly offered him two years on better money and we matched it out of fear of missing out presumably. That's why he got two years, he would've been Carlton's problem. I'm a 100% with Mantis. We threw two year deals around like they were of no consequence. Redpath blew up, Campbell has barely played for two years, Roberts has barely played for two years, and so on. Just on those guys, that's 6 contract years, 6 years wages and a handful of games return. That's a disgusting return on investment. The best case is Campbell and Roberts find a new home, since they won't be selected, and we don't repeat this mistake again.

Topdog
19-09-2018, 05:25 PM
That isn't a hindsight situation. It was a rubbish contact at the time and ended up a rubbish contract.

ledge
19-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Campbell I agree on but we weren’t to see Roberts go backwards and we know if Redpaths knee came good he would have been a huge asset.

bornadog
19-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Campbell I agree on but we weren’t to see Roberts go backwards and we know if Redpaths knee came good he would have been a huge asset.

Yeah I agree.

comrade
19-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Yeah I agree.

Pretty obvious Fletch was always going to be depth at best, and hoping Redpath's knee came good...if that's what we were banking on when giving him multiple years, let's just say it was optimistic at best.

Go_Dogs
19-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Pretty obvious Fletch was always going to be depth at best, and hoping Redpath's knee came good...if that's what we were banking on when giving him multiple years, let's just say it was optimistic at best.

Agree. Lower the risk in both cases with one year deals and if they have better offers elsewhere then we've got to accept that.

Smads57
19-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Really glad he got the opportunity this year to captain the side in the game played on the rectangle field (already forgotten the name of it...oh yeh, AFLX or was it Y..or maybe even Z)

Twodogs
19-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Really glad he got the opportunity this year to captain the side in the game played on the rectangle field (already forgotten the name of it...oh yeh, AFLX or was it Y..or maybe even Z)

Z is the most appropriate.

LostDoggy
19-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Thank you very much Jack for some wonderful memories over the years, pity you only got to play so few games in the red white and blue. Always a favourite. Good luck with your future which seems all set to go!!

Topdog
20-09-2018, 09:28 AM

He couldn't turn around last year. His knee may have held up with some luck but that turning circle was never going to improve

ledge
28-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Apparently Hoppers crossing are talking to Redpath, the idea is just plonk him in the goal square.

Bulldog Revolution
28-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Apparently Hoppers crossing are talking to Redpath, the idea is just plonk him in the goal square.

Id suspect he'd be an amazing footballer at that level

Twodogs
28-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Id suspect he'd be an amazing footballer at that level

He would be at a Shane Loveless level of amazing at local level. Pinhead kicked thousands of goals as a hired gun to various country teams in the '80s and '90s after his time with Footscray. As an aside Shane Loveless wasted more natural football ability than any other player I can recall.

It would be a pretty simple coaching directive in local footy, long bombs to Redder!

SquirrelGrip
28-09-2018, 04:39 PM
He would be at a Shane Loveless level of amazing at local level. Pinhead kicked thousands of goals as a hired gun to various country teams in the '80s and '90s after his time with Footscray. As an aside Shane Loveless wasted more natural football ability than any other player I can recall.

It would be a pretty simple coaching directive in local footy, long bombs to Redder!

Are there any videos of Shane Loveless playing? I remember one season at Whitten Oval where he took more one-handed marks at full forward than I’ve seen before or since.

Twodogs
28-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Try YouTube I reckon. His whole career can be condensed down to the second half of 1980. In rounds 12 and 13 he kicks 8 and 7 and a few weeks later kicked 8 against Hawthorn.

SquirrelGrip
29-09-2018, 12:26 AM
Try YouTube I reckon. His whole career can be condensed down to the second half of 1980. In rounds 12 and 13 he kicks 8 and 7 and a few weeks later kicked 8 against Hawthorn.

Yes, they are the weeks I remember. KT was slaying it at centre half forward and Loveless was incredible closer to goal. I’ve tried on YouTube but no luck. And to think we nearly won the spoon that year as well! In the last round, St Kilda drew with North and Fitzroy kicked 142 as a losing score by 4 points against 2nd places Carlton.

Remi Moses
29-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your contribution Big Red, and sadly the body didn’t allow a longer career

S Coast Simon
30-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Well done mate legend effort to play as much as you did. Loved the way you went about it. Can you please stay around and teach some goal kicking. Beautiful set shot when going. Best of luck for the future.