PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 18 2016 vs St. Kilda

Eastdog
17-07-2016, 04:45 PM
This is the round 18 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against St. Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
23-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
23-07-2016, 10:58 PM
B

Bonts.
Roughie.
I suppose we are still playing finals.

A

Injuries. FFS.
Suckling. Go to Footscray now. Hunter can join you too.
Bonts missing gettable goals. Good game as above, but missed some easy ones by his standards. Picken's miss at 1/4 time was crucial,
Barrett in advance, for saying our medico's are responsible for Clay's knee last year & Redder's this year.

azabob
24-07-2016, 12:07 AM
But the question needs to be asked on Redpath though.

josie
24-07-2016, 12:12 AM
Bonts for keeping us in game
Cannot think of anything else good about tonight

The footy gods really do hate us - just horrible news re. Wally and Redpath
Letting Stevens and Riewoldt off the leash, geez we even made Membrey look good....
Smug Saints fans singing their stupid song close to cheer squad

KT31
24-07-2016, 10:59 AM
B

Bonts.
Roughie.
I suppose we are still playing finals.

A

Injuries. FFS.
Suckling. Go to Footscray now. Hunter can join you too.
Bonts missing gettable goals. Good game as above, but missed some easy ones by his standards. Picken's miss at 1/4 time was crucial,
Barrett in advance, for saying our medico's are responsible for Clay's knee last year & Redder's this year.

Are we positive they are not, I can only think of it ever happening twice and both times are by our medico's recently.
I for one would like to see a review of our procedures.

KT31
24-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Banker
To the Saints supporter standing next to me at the club who said, " We have The Diver ( OK I'm paraphrasing and he may have just said, Riewoldt) you blokes have the next Juddy, that Bontempeli is and is going to be something very very special."

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2016, 11:17 AM
B:
Bont - Superstar.
Roughy - Had a strong season.
Macrae - Helped keep us in it.

A:
Suckling - Pathetic. Maybe he gets a reprieve due to injuries but that performance should warrant VFL selection.
Injuries
Medicos - Find another job.

ratsmac
24-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Bankers

1. Bontempelli - he is our next captain in waiting without a doubt. He plays a captains role and he wants the captaincy.

2. Me for not punching the dickhead behind me when he called Wallis soft for breaking his leg. Security saved me a fine I'm sure. Note to self : don't get into arguments with drunk people.

3. Roughead - his ruck work needs to improve but his contested marking around the ground has improved out of sight.

Anchors

1. Suckling - OMG for someone regarded as the best kick in the league, his disposal was awful. You're not as good as you think you are (well you weren't last night anyway).

2. Wallis' broken leg - I feel so bad for him. This guy loves to bulldogs as much as you and me. He will be hurting more than just his broken leg.

3. Redpath's knee - this would be shattering for the big fella. He is important to our setup. Big guys like him doing knees, not good.

Remi Moses
24-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Are Stkilda supporters the worlds worst winners ?

GVGjr
24-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Are Stkilda supporters the worlds worst winners ?

Sat next to a couple of them on the trip home and we had a very respectful talk. Maybe I was lucky but there was a fair smattering of our supporters and theirs and I didn't hear anything stupid. All clubs have their share of fools.

soupman
24-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Bankers:
-Wood, had a go, took some typical Easton marks and tried to be attacking.
-Bont, stuffed up some gettable stuff but did do some crucial plays and continues to lift when we need him. Gun.
-Roughead, good in the air around the ground and was pretty good down back.

Anchors:
-Suckling, I really hope they pull him into line. Atrocious game where he stuffed up both the simple and the difficult in the worst ways possible. That kick out was the worst kick out I have ever seen at all levels of football. All of them. He was embarrassing tonight.
-Hunter, he gets the ball a shitload and wastes it almost as much. Makes poor decisions and iffy kicks that put too much onus on the player receiving to have to win the contest. Despite the mountain of ball he got he was very poor.
-Obviously the injuries. Horrific, unfair and unjust. Wallis' was terrible and an 18 monther. For context Stringer didn't really get back to full strength until last year which means that Wallis is potentially 4 years away from getting back to his current level if at all. Redpath's is equally devastating. He has worked so hard to get to where he is and to cop yet another knee reco must be devastating. The footy "gods" can just f*** off.

1eyedog
24-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Am I the only one that thought Suckling was good defensively but he absolutely shanked three kicks that all nearly resulted in goals. I thought he contested very well after Morris went off.

always right
24-07-2016, 02:15 PM
B
Roughy....strong around the ground and was excellent when forced to go back in defence.
Wood....with the exception of his brain fade in the last quarter to bomb the ball to no one in the last quarter, I thought he continually tried to lift his teammates.
Bonts....our best forward last night...which says everything really.

A
I like Jongy and thought he really lifted half way through the third quarter but his first two and a half quarters were absolute rubbish. Took a big step backwards last night.
Suckling just made me angry. Liability last night.
Libba.....if you weren't right you shouldn't have played. Non contributor last night.

Eastdog
24-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Bankers

Bont - great player

Wood - his marking has been great this season

Roughy and Picken

Anchors

Our skill level needs a lot of improving

The injuries

Not enough goals

Bullies
24-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one that thought Suckling was good defensively but he absolutely shanked three kicks that all nearly resulted in goals. I thought he contested very well after Morris went off.
You must have watched a different game to me. Suckling does not have a defensive in his body.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2016, 03:21 PM
You must have watched a different game to me. Suckling does not have a defensive in his body.

I never really understood until last night just how much he really, really doesn't want body contact.

GVGjr
24-07-2016, 03:41 PM

I didn't think he was good defensively but acknowledge that he lifted his game a bit when Morris went off

That being said, its the reason I have been questioning his position in the side for a few weeks now.
He is capable of playing better football than he has been. For some reason he want's to do the flashy stuff and when his kicking skills or decision making let him down he becomes a liability. I get why we drafted him but he clearly isn't performing to expectations.
He's trying to play on his terms not what is needed and given his experience I would hope the coaching box and MC have called this out to him.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 04:48 PM
I never really understood until last night just how much he really, really doesn't want body contact.
I mentioned that some weeks ago and only GVGjr commented. Last night was the first time I saw him bump a player and dive on the ball (once mind you).

I said to my mate at the game, why doesn't Bevo Switch Suckling and Picken, and get Suckling the hell out of the backline. He must have cost us at least 3 or 4 goals.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2016, 04:52 PM
I mentioned that some weeks ago and only GVGjr commented. Last night was the first time I saw him bump a player and dive on the ball (once mind you).

I said to my mate at the game, why doesn't Bevo Switch Suckling and Picken, and get Suckling the hell out of the backline. He must have cost us at least 3 or 4 goals.

Why not play him high half forward as you say? We know he can hit a target with some time as well as kick long range goals.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Why not play him high half forward as you say? We know he can hit a target with some time as well as kick long range goals.

He should be playing the role Grant played last year, ie linking the backline to forward line, except using his foot and not handballs like Grant did.

FrediKanoute
24-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Bankers

1. The Bont - this guy is special. If he spends his whole career with the dogs he will be regarded in the same breath as EJ, Johnno, the Hawk and Granty;
2. Wood - a Captains game - really led tonight
3. The Team - up until Redders and Mitch going down we were a chance. We could easily have folded and the margin blown out, but as it was we kept at it.

Anchors

1. Suckling - that game sucked......
2. Jong - going to call it and say the difference between his best and worst is extreme. his first 2.5 quarters were awful
3. Entries into forward 50 - these have sucked all year and last night was no exception

Ozza
25-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Bankers:

Bont - those hands
Macrae - thought he really knuckled down. So consistent, and tougher than he gets credit for.
Rough - was getting beaten in the ruck - but superb down back when we needed someone.

Anchors:

Jong - He's not up to it. Decision making is horrible, hands below knees are well below the standard required.
Stevens - Even when he has a good game for him, I'm not convinced that helps the team play better - as the possessions would be used better by others. A real tryer - but just doesn't have the class.
Libba - really let us down. We've come to expect so much from Tom - he didn't bring that. Wasn't himself, and shouldn't have played.
(No need to mention Suckling, given the previous posts....he had a mare).

LostDoggy
25-07-2016, 06:52 AM
BANKERS
-Bont and Macrae, such reliable performers for 2 still young.
-Roughy still has rough edges but has arguably had his best 5-6 week run of late. His improving consistency is terrific to see. Was our equal highest contested possession winner (10), some more solid contested marks and layed 5 tackles.
- Dunkley deserves mention. Really encouraging when first year players step up when the team is struggling. Love his endeavour and already shows leadership qualities.

ANCHORS
- Defenders who don't like to defend enough. Suckling has been well covered, Biggs for mine has been disappointing in this area of late and just looks for the easy one too often, on the weekend he had 3 contested possessions and layed 0 tackles - over the past 8 weeks he has averaged less than 3 cont poss and less than 2 tackles per game, needs to get his hands dirtier.
- Dickson's season has been disappointing. Had such great chemistry with Stringer and Crameri last year but seems to be struggling with his role in the team at present.
- Lack of midfield polish. If we don't dominate clearances/contested possessions, we don't have enough mids who consistently use the ball well enough to contribute to scoring chains. Big question marks on hard triers Jong and Stevens over the rest of the year - both reportedly have suitors come year end.