PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 19 2016 vs Geelong

Eastdog
17-07-2016, 04:56 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 19 2016 match against Geelong at Simonds Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Suggest your ins and outs for the game against the Cats

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Dickson out is a must.

Redpath and Wallis injured. Morris too?

I'd drop Suckling if possible too.

EasternWest
23-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Morris, Redpath, Wallis, Suckling, Dickson out.

If our circumstances weren't suddenly so dire, I'd drop Hunter too. I'm sick to death of his dinky little kicks.

VFL watchers might have to tell me who comes in.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Out: Redpath & Morris & Wallis (injured), Suckling, Hunter

In: Minson, Cordy, Dale/Hrovat, Stringer, Webb

jeemak
23-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Out - Jong, Suckling, Wallis, Redpath, Morris and Dickson

In - I have no idea.

Jong's endeavour couldn't be faulted but he's just not top four AFL team standard with his usage and decision making. He never will be. We need to move on and play players who will be up to the required standard.

Suckling really phoned it in tonight and should be ashamed of himself.

I'm annoyed at Dickson, he's likely not to get dropped and to be fair it was a really hard game for smaller forwards given the disgraceful way we moved the ball.

Remi Moses
23-07-2016, 11:22 PM
I agree entirely on Lin . I think his decision making and execution are never going to be competent AFL standard

bulldogtragic
23-07-2016, 11:31 PM
I agree entirely on Lin . I think his decision making and execution are never going to be competent AFL standard

I'd be seriously contemplating pulling the tabled offer. Jarrad Grant offered more last year, but a hard and correct call was made to wait until the trade window closed. Lin is the same in my eyes.

lemmon
23-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Out- Redpath, Morris, Jong, Wallis (you poor lad)
In- Minson, Cordy, Stringer, Dale

I'd drop Dickson and Suckling but I think more than four is too disruptive

GVGjr
23-07-2016, 11:35 PM

I need to give this some more thought but I like these suggestions.

MrMahatma
23-07-2016, 11:54 PM

Agreed

1eyedog
23-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Minson for Redpath and play Roughie back and Boyd forward for most of the game.

Stringer for Wallis.

Wait and see how Moz pulls up.

Dahlhaus for Jong.

Remi Moses
23-07-2016, 11:59 PM
In early doors but I suggest Cordy or hamling ,Stringer ,Dahl
Out Wallis Redpath Morris ( 6 day break no risk)

Remi Moses
24-07-2016, 12:01 AM
I'd be seriously contemplating pulling the tabled offer. Jarrad Grant offered more last year, but a hard and correct call was made to wait until the trade window closed. Lin is the same in my eyes.

Might be one of those ambient claims that contract offer.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Might be one of those ambient claims that contract offer.

Nick Gieshan has already left 10 voice messages with JMac that Lin accepts the two year offer.

Sedat
24-07-2016, 12:29 AM
I'm annoyed at Dickson, he's likely not to get dropped and to be fair it was a really hard game for smaller forwards given the disgraceful way we moved the ball.
I'm prepared to give all of our forwards a free pass tonight - not for the first time this season, delivery into our forward 50 was comically poor.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm prepared to give all of our forwards a free pass tonight - not for the first time this season, delivery into our forward 50 was comically poor.

The trouble has been the backline is not moving the ball quickly enough and the opposition clog up our forward 50 and cover all the space. Richmond game was the same, in fact alot of games this year.

Remi Moses
24-07-2016, 01:15 AM
Bob Murphy's lateral movement and decision making is sadly missed

SlimPickens
24-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Going to be interesting who they pull from today's game. No way we will give players a 5 day break for such an important clash.

I'll go

Out: Red, Wally

In: Dahl, Stringer

G-Mo77
24-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Going to be interesting who they pull from today's game. No way we will give players a 5 day break for such an important clash.

I'll go

Out: Red, Wally

In: Dahl, Stringer

Hamling has been pulled out of the game so I'm guessing he'll be an in for Dale.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2016, 11:04 AM
I know we have pulled out Hamling but I would actually give Roughy a spell down back and bring Minson into the side. It's hard to just slot into the backline when you've worked on playing in the ruck all pre-season and season but Roughy shows an ability to hold a mark, it is massive.

Maybe Hamling comes in too, offering us a forward/defender to free up T.Boyd or Roughy to support Minson in the ruck?

In- Stringer, Dahl, Minson, Hamling
Out- Wallis, Redpath, Morris, Jong (only if we go with extra tall)

bornadog
24-07-2016, 11:42 AM
In- Stringer, Dahl, Minson, Hamling
Out- Wallis, Redpath, Morris, Jong (only if we go with extra tall)

I agree RJ, that is what I would do.

I would like to see Boyd play FF for 80% plus of the game.

Pickenitup
24-07-2016, 12:05 PM
In Minson hamling Dahl stringer
Out Wallis Morris redpath jong

azabob
24-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Where to start?

If Morris is out, I'm inclined to bring in either Hamling or Cordy. Geelong's forwards are not big, they are medium size and extremely mobile.

I really want to see JJ play midfield just to change things up; he is attacking, quick, decisive in his movement (body and ball) and generally makes good decisions.

I think Boyd can work as a permanent forward, as long as we bring the ball in direct and quick. He nearly clunked a number of marks last night, we need to figure out if he eventually will start clunking them.

Look to bring Dale in for Dickson. It will be a net net return. He may not get a whole heap of it, but normally when he does he does something creative with it and a goal normally results.

The ruck situation still is causing us grief. Roughead needs to either ruck 90% of the game or not play. Simple as that in my view.

From a structure perspective I would like to see our forwards not get sucked up the ground, on a number of occasions against St.Kilda we got a fast break from a stopage but due to no forwards being inside 50 we had to put the breaks on go sidewards or backwards.

IN: Hamling, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Dale,

OUT: Redpath, Wallis, Morris, Dickson,

Ghost Dog
24-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Hammer time!

F'scary
24-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Is it time to change our playing strategy? Can we change it, just like that?

Our defensive flood makes the transition forward difficult, especially now that our opposition has worked out that congesting the corridor rather than flooding back waiting for the spread, is the most effective means of negating and undoing our rebound.

But what can we do about it without reverting to a Macca style game where the emphasis is on forcing stoppages, playing a rolling scrum and forcing the ball down the line?

Bullies
24-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Dickson has had a free pass all year. A dipping bird will give a better contest than him at the moment. He is a liability. Play anyone - Dale?

bornadog
24-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Both Hamling and Cordy not playing today, they were pulled from the match. Confirmed sitting in stand with other players.

GVGjr
24-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Both Hamling and Cordy not playing today, they were pulled from the match. Confirmed sitting in stand with other players.

I don't think we had any other choice.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 05:07 PM
I don't think we had any other choice.

Hrovat playing well, any chance to come in or he needs a few more weeks?

GVGjr
24-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Hrovat playing well, any chance to come in or he needs a few more weeks?

Needs another week I would have thought. Stranger things might happen be we have been very conservative with injured players this year in particular.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2016, 05:17 PM
In- Stringer, Dahl, Hamling, Z Cordy
Out- Wally, Redpath, Morris, Jong

- Roughy/T Boyd ruck combo
- Hamling forward
- Z Cordy to replace Morris down back

comrade
24-07-2016, 05:47 PM

- Hamling forward

Yep, I'd do the same.

1eyedog
24-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Yep, I'd do the same.

Yeah me too. Why Jong was starting mid for much of the game was beyond me unless Bevo was putting him under the blowtorch to see if he can really cut the mustard. He goes in hard and has good pace and that's it. I'd like to see what Cordy has to offer.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Last time we played Geelong we didn't have the following players:

Clay Smith

Easton Wood

Jason Johannisen

Koby Stevens

Thomas Boyd

We will be without Wally and Red and possibly Morris

That makes a total of at minimum 7 players, possibly 8, plus any other changes that the MC may make. It will be a different game.

merantau
25-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Last time we played Geelong we didn't have the following players:

Clay Smith

Easton Wood

Jason Johannisen

Koby Stevens

Thomas Boyd

We will be without Wally and Red and possibly Morris

That makes a total of at minimum 7 players, possibly 8, plus any other changes that the MC may make. It will be a different game.

As Maxwell Smart would say Bad: "Very In-ter-res-ting."

LostDoggy
25-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Tom Hawkins improved showing last week looks ominous, as he is the sort of one on one beast that Roberts struggles with. Rhys Stanley, Blicavs and Smith (if he plays) are all ruck sized players who push forward and mark also. I'd like to see Keiran Collins given another chance, taking on a Hawkins is his go.

NoName
25-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Any one making the trip down Geelong Rd on Friday night?

Mantis
25-07-2016, 02:38 PM

- Hamling forward

Sounds pretty good to me.. Would like to see Hamling fill the role that Ted Richards played to great effect against Geelong, compete in the air and make the Geelong tall defenders accountable which is something we fail at consistently... It will shit me to tears if they are allowed to out-number/ out-size our forwards and do as they please.

Zayne meet Dan Menzel... Good luck.

I think there a few as the last out, I thought Jong was pretty reasonable agaisnt geelong 6 weeks back and on that basis he stays in, but it isn't the be all and end all if he doesn't play... Really need more out of him, Stevens, Smith, Dunkley, Dickson & Picken as our forward/ mids.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Sounds pretty good to me.. Would like to see Hamling fill the role that Ted Richards played to great effect against Geelong, compete in the air and make the Geelong tall defenders accountable which is something we fail at consistently... It will shit me to tears if they are allowed to out-number/ out-size our forwards and do as they please.

Zayne meet Dan Menzel... Good luck.

I think there a few as the last out, I thought Jong was pretty reasonable agaisnt geelong 6 weeks back and on that basis he stays in, but it isn't the be all and end all if he doesn't play... Really need more out of him, Stevens, Smith, Dunkley, Dickson & Picken as our forward/ mids.

Yeah I think Hamling would provide a good mix of competing in the air and creating decent pressure when the ball hits the ground.

Jong out is a bit harsh but our set up just isn't right. He/pick your choice of inside mid depth player isn't good enough for the sacrifice we are making in not playing another tall.

Sedat
25-07-2016, 02:54 PM
It will shit me to tears if they are allowed to out-number/ out-size our forwards and do as they please.
I reckon Harry Taylor, Lonergan and Enright will sleep in the change rooms the night before, just to make sure they aren't late to the game on Friday night. Pretty sick and tired of these 3 in particular constantly feasting on our inept forward delivery and statue-like forward movement as they have done for virtually 8 years now.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2016, 03:33 PM
I reckon Harry Taylor, Lonergan and Enright will sleep in the change rooms the night before, just to make sure they aren't late to the game on Friday night. Pretty sick and tired of these 3 in particular constantly feasting on our inept forward delivery and statue-like forward movement as they have done for virtually 8 years now.

Yes, well their backline looks A grade at the moment. Our forward line lucky to score a C. They will be pretty confident going in.

bornadog
25-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Team Statistics Comparison

Geelong

Western Bulldogs

Kicks

Handballs

Disposals

Marks

Goals

Behinds

Scoring Shots

Tackles

Hitouts

Frees For

Frees Against

Goal Assists

Inside 50s

Contested Possessions

Uncontested Possessions

Effective Disposals

73.8%
Effective Disposals %
74.7%

Clangers

Contested Marks

Marks Inside 50

Clearances

Rebound 50s

One Percenters

Bounces

Kick to Handball Ratio

52.4%
Conversion
52.1%

Disposals Per Goal

Disposals Per Scoring Shot

We need to move the ball quickly from the backline and keep the forward line open so we don't have 30 players in the forward 50.

Must hit targets, and ensure Danger and Selwood don't get the ball.

Mantis
25-07-2016, 05:35 PM

How do we go about this one?

Danger averaging 31.5 disposals per game this year, Selwood 28.2.. What do we differently to the rest of the comp?

bornadog
25-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Danger averaging 31.5 disposals per game this year, Selwood 28.2.. What do we differently to the rest of the comp?

Must win the contested poss, no choice.

Hotdog60
25-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Send a rookie out there with a baseball bat and give him a 5 year deal when he gets out of jail.

Bullies
25-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Statistics are a crock. Look at Melbourne on Saturday as a perfect example.

Team Statistics Comparison

Geelong

Western Bulldogs

Kicks

Handballs

Disposals

Marks

Goals

Behinds

Scoring Shots

Tackles

Hitouts

Frees For

Frees Against

Goal Assists

Inside 50s

Contested Possessions

Uncontested Possessions

Effective Disposals

73.8%
Effective Disposals %
74.7%

Clangers

Contested Marks

Marks Inside 50

Clearances

Rebound 50s

One Percenters

Bounces

Kick to Handball Ratio

52.4%
Conversion
52.1%

Disposals Per Goal

Disposals Per Scoring Shot

We need to move the ball quickly from the backline and keep the forward line open so we don't have 30 players in the forward 50.

Hotdog60
25-07-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm going think outside the square but has Collins ever played forward in his junior career?
Could almost be like for like with Redpath.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm going think outside the square but has Collins ever played forward in his junior career?
Could almost be like for like with Redpath.

My fear with Colins would be once it hits the ground and being out smarted by wily Cats defenders.

Hotdog60
25-07-2016, 10:18 PM
My fear with Colins would be once it hits the ground and being out smarted by wily Cats defenders.

Would it had been any different with big Jack. It would fit in with Bevo's versatility mantra.

LostDoggy
25-07-2016, 10:30 PM
I hope it pisses down Friday night as I think it will improve our chances of pulling off an upset.

LostDoggy
25-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Our ferocity levels will be through the roof this week. I hope our starting centre square midfield is a combo of Libba, Picken, Bont and Clay for the opening quarter with a licence to go hard as possible. Geelong won't know what hit them.

josie
25-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Hope we give Jong and Stevens (if they both play, personally if Dahl is ready I think one of these two should not play) blanketing jobs on Dangerfield and Selwood, not tagging exactly - we know Bevo doesn't do that!! I like the lateral thinking of one or two of our tall backman playing forward. Hamling has done it ok in VFL and Cordy is pretty good at ground level. Collins is a good scrapper however not as quick as Cordy or Hamling IMO. Suspicion Morris will not play and both Cordy and Hamling come in to side, especially after both rested from VFL on Sunday.

SlimPickens
26-07-2016, 09:32 AM
In: Dahlhaus, Stringer
Out: Wally, Redpath

I think Morris will get up for the game. The outs hurt but the ins are class. Hoping for a big results.

Mantis
26-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Bevo has just had his weekly presser, key points:

* Dahl definite in, Stringer 99%, Morris 50:50, won't be risked

* Players care for each other which is why the emotion, but are resilient and in good spirits (Bevo was apparantely distressed through the presser)

* Bob has been brilliant with his leadership in helping everyone come to terms with it.

* Not lowering expectations. Still believe we can beat anyone.

LostDoggy
26-07-2016, 04:39 PM

* Dahl definite in, Stringer 99%, Morris 50:50, won't be risked

* Players care for each other which is why the emotion, but are resilient and in good spirits (Bevo was apparantely distressed through the presser)

* Bob has been brilliant with his leadership in helping everyone come to terms with it.

* Not lowering expectations. Still believe we can beat anyone.

That's a worry. Libba was also supposedly 99% last weekend. No way should he have played.

bornadog
26-07-2016, 05:13 PM

(Bevo was apparantely distressed through the presser)

Have we ever had a coach so emotionally involved with the players - GREAT STUFF BEVO - see press conference here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/beveridge-close-to-tears!536583)

'I'm an emotional person': Bevo's struggle over fallen Dogs (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-26/im-an-emotional-person-bevos-struggle-over-fallen-dogs?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

A VISIBLY emotional Luke Beveridge has spoken of the grief the club endured in the wake of season-ending injuries to Mitch Wallis and Jack Redpath.

On the verge of tears at his weekly press conference, the second-year coach spoke of the love he has for his injured charges and the Western Bulldogs' playing group as a whole.

Both Wallis (broken leg) and Redpath (ACL) have had successful surgeries and Beveridge said they wouldn't be forgotten as the team headed for consecutive finals appearances under his tenure.

"I'm an emotional person with our (playing) group and the way they care about each other," Beveridge told reporters.

"It's my prerogative and responsibility to be strong, which I'm not being now, but I haven't been this (emotional) with the group.

"They've been quite resilient when they've been around each other and they're all in really good spirits.

'We've picked ourselves up, we're going to train this afternoon and pump a bit of energy into that session and that will help us move on."

Bulldog4life
26-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Have we ever had a coach so emotionally involved with the players - GREAT STUFF BEVO - see press conference here (http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/beveridge-close-to-tears!536583)

'I'm an emotional person': Bevo's struggle over fallen Dogs (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-26/im-an-emotional-person-bevos-struggle-over-fallen-dogs?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

A VISIBLY emotional Luke Beveridge has spoken of the grief the club endured in the wake of season-ending injuries to Mitch Wallis and Jack Redpath.

On the verge of tears at his weekly press conference, the second-year coach spoke of the love he has for his injured charges and the Western Bulldogs' playing group as a whole.

Both Wallis (broken leg) and Redpath (ACL) have had successful surgeries and Beveridge said they wouldn't be forgotten as the team headed for consecutive finals appearances under his tenure.

"I'm an emotional person with our (playing) group and the way they care about each other," Beveridge told reporters.

"It's my prerogative and responsibility to be strong, which I'm not being now, but I haven't been this (emotional) with the group.

"They've been quite resilient when they've been around each other and they're all in really good spirits.

'We've picked ourselves up, we're going to train this afternoon and pump a bit of energy into that session and that will help us move on."

Love that way Bevo wears his heart on his sleeve. You can see his love for the players and Club. Fantastic.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Libba, Stevens, Bont, Stringer should work V Selwood and Dangerfield.
Watch for Cordy to Boyd and goal followed by high-fives and hugs all round this week.

LostDoggy
26-07-2016, 09:43 PM
In-Stringer,Dahl,The Rat,and HC

Out-Redders,Wally,Jong and Dickson

Ozza
26-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Wouldn't have thought Dickson gets dropped. Only he and Bont were multiple goal kickers last week - seeing as we kicked only 9 last week - I wouldn't be dropping a bloke who knows where they are.

Rocket Science
27-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Based on Graeme Lowe's weekly video segment it sounds as if McLean's a very strong chance to return this week as well.

Stringer, Dahlhaus, McLean and a better acquainted Boyd won't hurt our chances of bettering the 5 goals we managed against them last time.

Hotdog60
27-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Bevo said in his presser that there maybe a 20th player to line up in the backline for this year.
Cordy hasn't played so far this year has he? I can't remember. So one of the changes would Zane for Moz.

LostDoggy
27-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Bevo said in his presser that there maybe a 20th player to line up in the backline for this year.
Cordy hasn't played so far this year has he? I can't remember. So one of the changes would Zane for Moz.

20th backline player in 1 year is insane. Most successful backlines are built around stability, so this year's performance has been all the more exceptional.

The silver lining from last week is that, despite everything possible going wrong and constant self-inflicted pressure through turnovers, we still somehow managed to restrict our opponent to 11.6 at Etihad -another amazing endorsement of our defensive systems.

Mofra
27-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Did he mention Rourke Smith as a chance as well?
Zaine for Moz seems a no brainer if Morris doesn't get up.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Gee this is going to be a big hill to climb this week.
Notwithstanding the emotional impact of last weekend's losses (both the game and Mitch and Jack) we're now playing Geelong at their home with the additional weight of the occasion being to celebrate Bartel's 300th, and Enright breaking the club game's played record.
If we win this week, I'm calling it as immediately being deserved of being spoken about as one of our all time greatest home and away victories.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Life of Brian is showing on SBS on Friday night. It's a bit tempting... I don't know if I've got the emotional resilience to sit through another nerve-wracking game after last week!

bornadog
27-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Life of Brian is showing on SBS on Friday night. It's a bit tempting... I don't know if I've got the emotional resilience to sit through another nerve-wracking game after last week!

I haven't missed a game this year (in Melbourne, I rarely do), but I won't be venturing to Geelong on a miserable cold night, with hardly any tickets available for away teams. I will be watching though, but need to control myself as my wife hates me yelling and screaming at the TV. :D

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2016, 02:42 PM
I think we need a special soundproof footy viewing room, our kids can't stand the amount of noise we make either.

LostDoggy
27-07-2016, 06:37 PM
In-Stringer,Dahl,The Rat,and HC

Out-Redders,Wally,Jong and Dickson
Change to Moz out
Dickson to stay in

bornadog
27-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Change to Moz out
Dickson to stay in

have you heard anything on Moz?

Eastdog
27-07-2016, 07:27 PM

I don't believe as serious as Mitch and Jack but not sure of his one.

Eastdog
27-07-2016, 07:31 PM
I haven't missed a game this year (in Melbourne, I rarely do), but I won't be venturing to Geelong on a miserable cold night, with hardly any tickets available for away teams. I will be watching though, but need to control myself as my wife hates me yelling and screaming at the TV. :D

Will be watching at home from the couch. I think even if you are a home and away Bulldogs member you don't have access to the ground and you have to buy a ticket I believe.

Eastdog
27-07-2016, 07:34 PM
20th backline player in 1 year is insane. Most successful backlines are built around stability, so this year's performance has been all the more exceptional.

The silver lining from last week is that, despite everything possible going wrong and constant self-inflicted pressure through turnovers, we still somehow managed to restrict our opponent to 11.6 at Etihad -another amazing endorsement of our defensive systems.

Despite the bad news over the last week there has been so much more upside to the whole season. Do you see Adams playing a part in the finals PP? Will be huge for him being a first year player playing in finals.

The bulldog tragician
27-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Geelong games are a massive rip off. Will never go again after paying a small fortune last year to barely be able to see a thing at the far end of the ground. The result wasn't flash either

F'scary
27-07-2016, 08:08 PM

I was talking to a Doggies supporter who ventured down the highway last year. All they had left to sell were $100+ tickets. So he bought one. He said the seat was shithouse.

1eyedog
27-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Geelong games are a massive rip off. Will never go again after paying a small fortune last year to barely be able to see a thing at the far end of the ground. The result wasn't flash either

Agreed - I'll be going though. I secured two tickets in the past players pavilion. They cost a small fortune but the view isn't bad (grandstand side forward pocket slightly elevated).

LostDoggy
27-07-2016, 08:45 PM

sure it was in todays Herald Dum that Moz won't be playing but can't find the link:(

SonofScray
27-07-2016, 11:14 PM
I was talking to a Doggies supporter who ventured down the highway last year. All they had left to sell were $100+ tickets. So he bought one. He said the seat was shithouse.

I love the standing room, but it was going to be a mission to get there early enough for a Friday night match. I ended up buying tickets via the Club. We're in the pocket a few rows back from the fence.

SonofScray
27-07-2016, 11:20 PM
I think we'll see a minimum of four changes for this week, sneaky five changes if McLean is fit. Interesting to see what the selectors do.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Agreed - I'll be going though. I secured two tickets in the past players pavilion. They cost a small fortune but the view isn't bad (grandstand side forward pocket slightly elevated).
I hope we win so your family doesn't stir you too much.

1eyedog
28-07-2016, 01:42 AM
I hope we win so your family doesn't stir you too much.

There's no one I enjoy beating more, trouble is those victories have been few and far between for a long, long time.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2016, 02:03 PM
There's no one I enjoy beating more, trouble is those victories have been few and far between for a long, long time.

I hear you loud and clear.

Geelong are my most hated team, particularly as I grew up in the area.

Eastdog
28-07-2016, 03:16 PM
I will start the game day thread tonight after the teams are announced.

LostDoggy
28-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I'll have a go...

Ins: Hamling, Cordy, Dahl, Stringer

Outs: Morris, Wallis, Redpath, M.Boyd (managed)

With Hamling and Cordy both pulling out of the VFL I think they are certain ins. Can't see Morris being risked at this stage. Boyd being managed is just a gut feel, I think he is carrying something.

Hamling will play forward, Cordy will replace Morris.

I just wonder how heavily the MC are considering Minson coming in allowing Boyd to play constantly forward.

bornadog
28-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Team has gone to Geelong tonight and will stay there.

Mantis
28-07-2016, 04:25 PM

Not the worst idea.. Been a shit week so the chance to do some bonding has merit.

Happy Days
28-07-2016, 04:32 PM

Jesus. Hasn't the week been traumatic enough?

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-07-2016, 04:38 PM
I'll have a go...

Ins: Hamling, Cordy, Dahl, Stringer

Outs: Morris, Wallis, Redpath, M.Boyd (managed)

With Hamling and Cordy both pulling out of the VFL I think they are certain ins. Can't see Morris being risked at this stage. Boyd being managed is just a gut feel, I think he is carrying something.

Hamling will play forward, Cordy will replace Morris.

I just wonder how heavily the MC are considering Minson coming in allowing Boyd to play constantly forward.

I would be happy to see Minson in to assist Roughead with the ruck duties allowing Tom Boyd to become more of a focal point up forward. With Wallis out for the season, it might be time to move Matthew Boyd back into the midfield to give us more experience in the midfield where Geelong has plenty of depth.

hujsh
28-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Jesus. Hasn't the week been traumatic enough?

Punishment for their performance on the weekend

Mantis
28-07-2016, 04:51 PM
I would be happy to see Minson in to assist Roughead with the ruck duties allowing Tom Boyd to become more of a focal point up forward. With Wallis out for the season, it might be time to move Matthew Boyd back into the midfield to give us more experience in the midfield where Geelong has plenty of depth.

I don't see it as a strength of Geelong's.. Selwood & Danger are carrying a big load.

Mantis
28-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Jon Ralph tweeting we could have 5 or more changes.. Hinted a few old boys are a bit lame and will need a rest.

F'scary
28-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Jon Ralph tweeting we could have 5 or more changes.. Hinted a few old boys are a bit lame and will need a rest.

As the late great Benny Hill used to say, "opportunity knockers"

bulldogtragic
28-07-2016, 07:17 PM

Five injuries. That's about as many injured players missing a week that I can ever remember in our history.

GVGjr
28-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Just announced

Adcock, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Hamling, Cordy for M Boyd, Morris, Suckling, Wallis, Redpath

dadsgirl16
28-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Bloody hell really?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2016, 07:29 PM
I just hope for no more injuries at this point.

Eastdog
28-07-2016, 07:29 PM
All key players. When will our luck turn?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Zac Smith in for Kersten. They're going tall.

Hotdog60
28-07-2016, 07:31 PM
I would have preferred Webb instead of Adcock

bornadog
28-07-2016, 07:34 PM

MC probably thinking need some experience in, plus Adcock played ok last week in the VFL

bulldogtragic
28-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Assuming we elevated him again this week then.

SonofScray
28-07-2016, 07:35 PM

I thought we'd seen the last of Adcock, assumed Webb would be in front of him for future considerations. Age seems to be the factor, he provides an older head and potentially more durable body in the absence of M Boyd.

LostDoggy
28-07-2016, 07:37 PM
The Adcock selection over Webb and Honeychurch really doesn't sit well with me.

Is he coming in to run with Dangerfield or Selwood?

Eastdog
28-07-2016, 07:38 PM

Yep me too. Definitely would like to get more games into the kids.

Eastdog
28-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Big responsibility for Tom Boyd up forward. How will we structure and ensure we can get enough out of it?

Hopefully Boydy and Stringer work very well tomorrow night.

Hotdog60
28-07-2016, 07:40 PM
MC probably thinking need some experience in, plus Adcock played ok last week in the VFL

I suppose it depends on where they play him. If it's out of the back half it will be coming out slow. I wonder if he'll be in the forward half.

1eyedog
28-07-2016, 07:56 PM
There goes the entire back line again FFS

Remi Moses
28-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Out of the backline currently
Morris, Adams, Murphy , Boyd ,even Suckling .
Big holes to fill

Eastdog
28-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Out of the backline currently
Morris, Adams, Murphy , Boyd ,even Suckling .
Big holes to fill

Yes it hurts that's for sure. Really surprising how well we have been defensively this year despite all the injuries.

GVGjr
28-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Yep me too. Definitely would like to more games into the kids.

I often read comments when selections don't always favour the younger guys about 'getting games into the kids'.
I wouldn't have thought we have done too badly in that area and it has actually been a real strength of the club over the last 3 or 4 years.
Bevo (and Macca before him) has done a good job at developing the younger players and providing them with opportunities.
Bevo in particular has been sensational at playing younger players and even more importantly getting them into a winning environment.

I'm not 100% sure what he has planned for Adcock but I'm happy enough not to challenge it too vigorously. Hamling and Cordy will hopefully benefit with a run in the seniors.

hujsh
28-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Disappointed to have Adcock in. Doesn't offer anything we wouldn't get from Webb. At least I won't have to watch Sucking kick this week though.

Rocket Science
28-07-2016, 08:42 PM
If the plan is for Adcock to fill in for Boyd across half back - a role he cameoed in versus the Giants from memory when Boyd last missed - I'd be keeping the swear jar handy.

JJ, Wood and to some extent Biggs need to have a big say for us if we're to get up I think.

Rocco Jones
28-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Backline is ridiculously decimated. Obviously we have Bob, Adams, Morris M.Boyd and Suckling but it doesn't stop there. Bailey Williams would easily be in the 22 if fit and Prudden out means we have no real small-medium defenders left.

I really don't want us to play Adcock but these are bizarre circumstances. Is Webb playing down back in a game that could get ugly really best for his development?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-07-2016, 08:51 PM
We're down some 700 games in experience this week, Adcock's inclusion is clearly justifiable. Morris, M. Boyd & Suckling all gone from our back-half. That's on top of Murphy & Adams out as well.

Without Adcock's selection we'd be going in with a back 6 where Easton Wood with 100 games is the most experienced player there, followed by J.J. and then Biggs.

Cyberdoggie
28-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Disappointed to have Adcock in. Doesn't offer anything we wouldn't get from Webb. At least I won't have to watch Sucking kick this week though.

He had 20 tackles the other day. Pretty sure Webb wouldn't do that. Different player, need experience down there.

ratsmac
28-07-2016, 09:26 PM
The fairytale premiership this year is dwindling. I'm happy to just make the finals the way things are panning out. When is our luck going to turn bloody hell:mad:

whythelongface
28-07-2016, 09:59 PM
The fairytale premiership this year is dwindling. I'm happy to just make the finals the way things are panning out. When is our luck going to turn bloody hell:mad:

Looks like we will limp into the finals at this rate. Wow don't think any other teams can complain about injuries.

G-Mo77
28-07-2016, 10:41 PM
McLean replaces Honeychurch on the EMG list. Probably nothing in it but still good to see his name there. I hope Honeychurch hasn't been injured.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Disappointed Jong was picked but hope he repays the faith. Rather see Dale in our forward line.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Backline is ridiculously decimated. Obviously we have Bob, Adams, Morris M.Boyd and Suckling but it doesn't stop there. Bailey Williams would easily be in the 22 if fit and Prudden out means we have no real small-medium defenders left.

I really don't want us to play Adcock but these are bizarre circumstances. Is Webb playing down back in a game that could get ugly really best for his development?

Reckon Adcock has been saving himself a bit. Not that I agree with it, but betting he does better this time around.

Mantis
28-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Reckon Adcock has been saving himself a bit. Not that I agree with it, but betting he does better this time around.

What do you mean by 'saving himself'?

He's on a 1 year rookie contract.. Think he would be trying to make every effort to perform or he's off to the glue factory.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 12:00 AM
Strange selections, Toyd and rough in the ruck? More injuries to come? Will surely should have come in, Adcock?
Suckers and MBoyd both with achillies? Smells bad.
Dont like the look of our forwards vs their backs or vise versa. Tank.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 12:56 AM

Fair comment.
Given the current circumstances, I would've preferred to see Liam Picken transfer back to the MBoyd role and have Webb or Dale move into the midfield rotation.

mattempo
29-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Bevos press conference had us assured that Suckling would play this week, there isn't much transparency on injuries this year. I'm not sure how much we gain by being coy about them. My guess is that Hamling will play forward and hope to get one or two first quarter goals, I can't see him having a lasting impact there throughout the match.

jazzadogs
29-07-2016, 03:42 AM
Bevos press conference had us assured that Suckling would play this week, there isn't much transparency on injuries this year. I'm not sure how much we gain by being coy about them. My guess is that Hamling will play forward and hope to get one or two first quarter goals, I can't see him having a lasting impact there throughout the match.

I don't understand people who take offence to Bevo/the club being coy about injuries. Recovery rates are not an exact science, as long as the players and coaches are aware of any changes I couldn't care less.

As for Adcock coming in, I don't absolutely love it but I can see the wisdom. We only have a couple of players over 100 games (at a guess Picken, Roughead, Wood) and all of our experience gone. To say 'play the kids' when he is replacing our two most experienced and oldest players doesn't really make sense.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 09:03 AM

Hamling may pinch hit forward but I think he'll be primarily required down back, given Geelong have Hawkins and a rotation Smith, Stanley and Blicavs who push forward and are all 198-206 cm. Roberts is going to need a lot of support, especially with no Morris to provide the third man up.

bornadog
29-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Hamling may pinch hit forward but I think he'll be primarily required down back, given Geelong have Hawkins and a rotation Smith, Stanley and Blicavs who push forward and are all 198-206 cm. Roberts is going to need a lot of support, especially with no Morris to provide the third man up.

Last time we played them Wood didn't play and missed him badly. His intercepts are going to be vital in this game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Last time we played them Wood didn't play and missed him badly. His intercepts are going to be vital in this game.

Yep, ball is going to be coming in that area a lot.

Mantis
29-07-2016, 10:05 AM

Last time we played them we were that disorganised in transition that Geelong had loose players all over the ground and rarely had to kick to a contest.

A lot has to change for us to be competitive tonight.

S Coast Simon
29-07-2016, 10:42 AM
I looked at the outs and first thought gee we are struggling a bit with the injuries and might find it very tough against the cats. But when I looked at the team on paper we are pretty strong, if we go a bit old school and maybe even tag one or two which could give us a 5 man forward setup and make some room up there we could realistically give this a shake

hujsh
29-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Zaine and Hamling might not be a bad matchup for Geelong's tall athletes. More on the mobile side.

Mantis
29-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Zaine and Hamling might not be a bad matchup for Geelong's tall athletes. More on the mobile side.

Their tall forwards are potatoes.. Menzel is the one we need to lock down on.

SonofScray
29-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Their tall forwards are potatoes.. Menzel is the one we need to lock down on.

He could carve us up with the amount of ball that gets out the back on the transition. Kicks a lot of Crameri-esque goals.

Ozza
29-07-2016, 12:32 PM
I thought this week was one to play Minson.

Have Boyd play Redpath's role, and free up Roughead to be flexible. Particularly with the height Geelong have - Rough might be needed in defence again (where he was quite brilliant after half time last week). He also could have been helpful in stopping Geelong from taking so many marks inside our forward 50 - which I am sure will be a massive issue tonight.

Mantis
29-07-2016, 12:38 PM
I thought this week was one to play Minson.

Have Boyd play Redpath's role, and free up Roughead to be flexible. Particularly with the height Geelong have - Rough might be needed in defence again (where he was quite brilliant after half time last week). He also could have been helpful in stopping Geelong from taking so many marks inside our forward 50 - which I am sure will be a massive issue tonight.

If it was anyone else except Minson I would agree, but he offers absolutely nothing other than a ruck contest and a bit of scrimmaging on the ground... Sadly, he's cooked.

Our delivery into F50 is what I'm most interested in tonight.. Wild kicks to out-numbered players may see the remote go through the wall.. Would rather see us kick the ball into the crowd or along the ground than give marking practice to Taylor and co.

LostDoggy
29-07-2016, 01:04 PM
I would love to see Stringer play the Redpath role tonight. Start deep and lead hard, creating space and movement. If Jake can get a couple of chest marks on the lead it may help with his growing tendency to try the freakish with every second forward entry.

1eyedog
29-07-2016, 01:41 PM
I would love to see Stringer play the Redpath role tonight. Start deep and lead hard, creating space and movement. If Jake can get a couple of chest marks on the lead it may help with his growing tendency to try the freakish with every second forward entry.

I don't he's wasted there and that role really is a one trick role suited to someone like Dickson. I wish Tom could play big minutes forward releasing Jake further up the ground. He is at his most damaging around the 50 metre arc.

Anyway, I just hope he isn't forced to play the role we got Tom Boyd to do.

Ozza
29-07-2016, 02:50 PM
I don't he's wasted there and that role really is a one trick role suited to someone like Dickson. I wish Tom could play big minutes forward releasing Jake further up the ground. He is at his most damaging around the 50 metre arc.

I would be absolutely in shock if Beveridge played Tom as a key forward for long enough for long enough for Tom to work into the game as a forward. We'd rather just turn the prized recruit forward - into a role player draught horse.

Ozza
29-07-2016, 02:50 PM

I would be absolutely in shock if Beveridge played Tom as a key forward for long enough for long enough for Tom to work into the game as a forward. We'd rather just turn the prized recruit forward - into a role player draught horse.

1eyedog
29-07-2016, 02:53 PM

I would be too, looks like he's set for the Leigh Brown role :rolleyes:

bornadog
29-07-2016, 03:25 PM

Who would you put in as second ruck? I don't think Bevo has any other choice.

Ozza
29-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Who would you put in as second ruck? I don't think Bevo has any other choice.

I don't mind him pinch hitting in the ruck when required - but he even taking out last week's unusual circumstances - Boyd was previously spend a heap of time in the ruck - probably 50% of the time that he was on the ground, he's been rucking.

I don't think you can really settle into a game effectively if you keep chopping and changing like they do with Boyd.

Although its not ideal to pick Minson - desperate times, desperate measures - and as I said earlier, I'd have picked Minson & Roughead - and given Tom an opportunity to show us if he can be a forward. To date, the only thing I can gather - is that the coach sees him as a part timer in both.

One thing for certain is - we will spend a fair bit of tonight looking like we have no target to kick to....and Enright, Taylor and Lonergan will do as they do every single time we play them - and mark the high ball - while Tom lumbers around in the ruck.

mjp
29-07-2016, 07:23 PM
I don't think you can really settle into a game effectively if you keep chopping and changing like they do with Boyd.

Roughead (Hawthorn variety) rolls up and back and it really doesn't seem to impact him too much. Lobbe up at GWS has been doing the same and going a bit better than OK. Someone HAS to provide ruck support...if it isn't the 200cm bloke in the goal square who spent a heap of his juniors playing ruck then who's? We can't play two ruckman...means being down a mid rotation and that is just a bad plan.