PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Rookie List

bulldogtragic
24-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Ok, first assumption is the rookie list remains. The second assumption is Wallis & Redders are doing 12 months rehab and will be on the long term injury list, therefore two rookies can be promoted until they get back in the park mid-late 2017.

So what's our rookie list strategy now? Do we need two ready to go AFL players for depth? Does Adcock get a reprieve? Do we keep Lynch there as a second year rookie looking to have him take an opportunity? Do we continue to mine for gems irregardless?

bulldogtragic
24-07-2016, 03:08 PM
As for this year, do we elevate any rookies in Adcock, Roarke or Lynch?

ledge
24-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Definitely not Adcock and we need to keep SMith and Lynch , Smith is in his second year and I think we can keep him on another year due to injury .. The rule is only two years I believe , Lynch has another year.
Smith I would upgrade.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 04:38 PM
As for this year, do we elevate any rookies in Adcock, Roarke or Lynch?

I think we can get through the rest of the year without an upgrade.

I certainly don't want Adcock in to replace Wally, but I bet he does depending on his form today.

GVGjr
24-07-2016, 05:07 PM
I think we can get through the rest of the year without an upgrade.

I certainly don't want Adcock in to replace Wally, but I bet he does depending on his form today.

Why is that? You know I'm going to ask ;)

bornadog
24-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Why is that? You know I'm going to ask ;)

Ok, when he did play earlier in the year, I just didn't see the contribution he should have been making for such an experienced player. Picking up an average of 14 disposals in his 6 games to me was a poor return.

How is he going today?

Rocco Jones
24-07-2016, 05:19 PM
I am with you bad, no Adcock. I was pro drafting him but he looks cooked at AFL level. Losing a yard off his pace has been deadly to his career.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Ok, first assumption is the rookie list remains. The second assumption is Wallis & Redders are doing 12 months rehab and will be on the long term injury list, therefore two rookies can be promoted until they get back in the park mid-late 2017.

So what's our rookie list strategy now? Do we need two ready to go AFL players for depth? Does Adcock get a reprieve? Do we keep Lynch there as a second year rookie looking to have him take an opportunity? Do we continue to mine for gems irregardless?

Do we know for sure that Wally's rehab will be 12 months?

bornadog
24-07-2016, 05:30 PM

DEpends the spot he has broken his foot. Doc Larkin says could be back for round one on best case.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2016, 05:33 PM

It seems to be near identical to Jake's broken leg. Looking at Judas Brown and others who have done similar, about 12 months to get to AFL game ready fitness is an uneducated guess on my part being that he's broken both bones in the leg.

comrade
24-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Not a chance Wally is back for the start of next season. He'll be pushing to be ready for the start of 2018.

It's not a broken foot, it's 2 snapped bones in his leg, identical to Stringer as BT mentioned.

bornadog
24-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Not a chance Wally is back for the start of next season. He'll be pushing to be ready for the start of 2018.

It's not a broken foot, it's 2 snapped bones in his leg, identical to Stringer as BT mentioned.

You are most likely right. This is what was reported:

Doc Larkins believes the break was closer to ankle which is a better result for Mitch.
Which leaves the door open for Mitch Wallis to be back for rd 1, 2017 depending on rehab.

Doc26
24-07-2016, 05:52 PM
It seems to be near identical to Jake's broken leg. Looking at Judas Brown and others who have done similar, about 12 months to get to AFL game ready fitness is an uneducated guess on my part being that he's broken both bones in the leg.

David Young, our orthopedic surgeon, pretty much indicated that with such a break for running athletes any return inside 12 months runs a risk although they would be doing their best to get Wally ready earlier. Apparently Mitch is going into surgery today.

Jack will undergo his third knee reconstruction, his first on his right knee and will be a traditional reco.

lemmon
24-07-2016, 05:58 PM
David Young, our orthopedic surgeon, pretty much indicated that with such a break for running athletes any return inside 12 months runs a risk although they would be doing their best to get Wally ready earlier. Aparrently Mitch is going into surgery today.

Jack will undergo his third knee reconstruction, his first on his right knee and will be a traditional reco.

No evidence to back this up but it seems so much harder for guys who break both bones to come back the same player, Nathan Brown never was. The steadier we take it the better

FrediKanoute
24-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Agreed he needs time-- its not just the physical, but the mental that he needs to get right. If Wally plays next year at all its a bonus.

soupman
24-07-2016, 07:04 PM
I am with you bad, no Adcock. I was pro drafting him but he looks cooked at AFL level. Losing a yard off his pace has been deadly to his career.

Yeah absolutely no to Adcock. Doesn't add much other than a solid player in a few respects, and I feel we would be better served by someone like Webb whose trajectory is going upwards even if he would have similiar current output.

EasternWest
25-07-2016, 03:54 PM
No evidence to back this up but it seems so much harder for guys who break both bones to come back the same player, Nathan Brown never was. The steadier we take it the better

Counterpoint: Dale Morris. As good/better than ever, though it did take some time.

Mofra
25-07-2016, 03:57 PM
As well as Dale Morris, Michael Voss also had a similar lower leg fracture (albeit younger than Mitch).

Players can come back from it but I think all of 2017 is a wipeout for Mitch.

stefoid
25-07-2016, 04:26 PM

Someone posted a photos of Stringer and Wallis mid-snap, side by side on big footy - they are so identical you could almost just photo-shop the faces of the players.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Dale Morris fractured his major lower leg bone, the tibia but unlike Mitch not the fibula as well. It took Dale 18 months to get back. He was over 30 yo.

bornadog
25-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Someone posted a photos of Stringer and Wallis mid-snap, side by side on big footy - they are so identical you could almost just photo-shop the faces of the players.

See post in get well Wally thread

bornadog
29-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Rookie list set to remain for another season (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-29/rookie-list-set-to-remain-for-another-season)

Ozza
29-07-2016, 04:39 PM

Dale Morris missed ALL of 2012 after doing his in 2011.

If Dale Morris couldn't return to play in the following year - then I don't know WHO can.

See you in '18 Wally. Get strong and come back a star like Dale has been.

Axe Man
29-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Dale Morris missed ALL of 2012 after doing his in 2011.

If Dale Morris couldn't return to play in the following year - then I don't know WHO can.

See you in '18 Wally. Get strong and come back a star like Dale has been.

Wallis is 5 years younger than what Dale was when he broke his leg.

Also Morris was on track to return in 2012 but developed a stress fracture below the initial break and had to have surgery to put in a plate, which obviously set him back a long way.

I'll back Wally and the medicos to get him back on the park at some stage next season.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Rookie list set to remain for another season (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-29/rookie-list-set-to-remain-for-another-season)

So Goetz is gone. Lynch & Roarke can stay on. Adcock, who knows.

It really is a philosophical thing now. Are we panning for gold for Dahl & JJ types, or are we looking for senior backup with multiple guys on the LTI from early 2017. Going to be interesting what we do with it.

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 04:22 AM

Brown not only did the same injury, he snapped all his ligaments and had other damage .
Came back at the start of 06 , but had soreness in the leg and didn't play for 3 months .
No rushing with Mitch though, 12 months seems right

bulldogtragic
28-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Prudden is getting picked up (presumably pick 36). Assuming we don't get a ruckman as a DFA or in the ND, then if we want depth then pick 18 in the rookie draft is our last/only shot.

Overall, 3 rookies who play half back flank with two having ACLs in the past 18 months isn't an ideal spread. So I guess the only question is do we go with ruck depth or roll the dice on a kid and hope our rucks hold together (against their injury history)?

jazzadogs
28-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Was today our last chance to confirm rookie upgrades?

I still wouldn't rule out a DFA, rookie upgrade (Roarke) and two live picks at the draft.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Was today our last chance to confirm rookie upgrades?

I still wouldn't rule out a DFA, rookie upgrade (Roarke) and two live picks at the draft.

Yep, the club confirmed Roarke & Lynch playing as rookies next year. So one rookie pick, 3 ND and a DFA (or 4 ND picks).

jazzadogs
29-10-2016, 12:50 AM
Yep, the club confirmed Roarke & Lynch playing as rookies next year. So one rookie pick, 3 ND and a DFA (or 4 ND picks).

Well I guess we can rule that out then!

bornadog
20-06-2017, 06:04 PM
ROOKIE LIST NEWS:

As of the 2018 AFL Season, Category A Rookies will be available for selection for Round 1 without being elevated to the senior list.
Which means players like Brad Lynch, Josh Prudden, Nathan
Mullenger-McHugh and Roarke Smith are eligible for selection while Tristan Tweedie would need to be elevated in the old system due to being a Next Generation Academy Player (Cat B)

Hotdog60
20-06-2017, 06:23 PM
That's good news for those players and the clubs.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2017, 06:26 PM
ROOKIE LIST NEWS:

As of the 2018 AFL Season, Category A Rookies will be available for selection for Round 1 without being elevated to the senior list.
Which means players like Brad Lynch, Josh Prudden, Nathan
Mullenger-McHugh and Roarke Smith are eligible for selection while Tristan Tweedie would need to be elevated in the old system due to being a Next Generation Academy Player (Cat B)

So they've ended the RL then?

westdog54
21-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Effectively, yes.

azabob
21-06-2017, 08:05 AM
What are the thoughts around Lynch being elevated at years end? Or do we think he needs to be in a strong showing in the VFL in the second half of the season? Hopefully either way he can stay injury free to give himself the best opportunity to be elevated.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Effectively, yes.

So can we elevate the current rookies at the draft this year to fill 2 of our 3 obligated selections?

Mofra
21-06-2017, 10:06 AM
What are the thoughts around Lynch being elevated at years end? Or do we think he needs to be in a strong showing in the VFL in the second half of the season? Hopefully either way he can stay injury free to give himself the best opportunity to be elevated.
He has something (he had a run of pre-season games) but he's behind Williams.
Has pace and skill, is as outside as anyone on our list though.

bornadog
21-06-2017, 10:06 AM

He does look like a likely type. He has been described as one of the best kicks at the club. You never know he may get a chance to show if he is up to AFL level, if we need someone on a HBF.

westdog54
21-06-2017, 12:31 PM
So can we elevate the current rookies at the draft this year to fill 2 of our 3 obligated selections?

We could have done that anyway.

The rookie list will still be there. It will just operate differently.

azabob
21-06-2017, 08:09 PM
He has something (he had a run of pre-season games) but he's behind Williams.
Has pace and skill, is as outside as anyone on our list though.

I thought he was impressive against Melbourne at the Whitten Oval in the pre season game.

GVGjr
21-06-2017, 10:48 PM

I'd say it's line ball with him and he has the balance of the season to impress. I think it depends on how deep we are prepared to cut into the list. The hard part for him is we are very deep at the half back position even if you assume it's Murphy and M.Boyds last season.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2017, 11:13 PM
I'd say it's line ball with him and he has the balance of the season to impress. I think it depends on how deep we are prepared to cut into the list. The hard part for him is we are very deep at the half back position even if you assume it's Murphy and M.Boyds last season.

I don't see a way he's not staying. The way I see it, Bob, Boyd and possibly Prudden to go, as well as possibly JJ. Roarke has durability questions too. That's 5 HBFs this year who may not be around or reliable physically. Plus Lynch seems to have tools to work with.

GVGjr
21-06-2017, 11:18 PM
I don't see a way he's not staying. The way I see it, Bob, Boyd and possibly Prudden to go, as well as possibly JJ. Roarke has durability questions too. That's 5 HBFs this year who may not be around or reliable physically. Plus Lynch seems to have tools to work with.

You could also add the uncertainty on JJ and perhaps we might move Sucking away from the back line as well.
He's got a lot of upside but he needs to do a bit more by the end of the season.

bornadog
05-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Rookie Review - link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-05/rookie-watch-whos-burning-and-whos-still-learning)

Over the years, the Bulldogs have predominantly used the rookie list to develop young talent, but have also used it to bring in experienced and older players such as Jed Adcock and Brett Goodes. They've also given second chances to Josh Prudden and former Dog Daniel Pearce by rookie-listing them after they were delisted.

Brad Lynch
A player in the mould of Robert Murphy, the West Australian's desire for a senior debut was stymied by a hamstring injury and indifferent form. Needs to bulk up and improve his physicality, but has the speed and skills to be a League footballer.

Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
The raw and versatile tall has been impressive at times playing at both ends of the ground in first season at Whitten Oval. The Eastern Ranges product has a strong set of hands and possesses great athleticism.

Josh Prudden
Demoted to the rookie list at the end of 2016, the utility hasn't added to his four senior games. His wretched run of injuries has continued this season with a hamstring complaint costing him several weeks. The 22-year-old needs some luck and a strong finish to the season.

Roarke Smith
The dashing defender succumbed to his second ACL tear in 18 months during the JLT Community series, and won't play again this season. Showed plenty in his two senior games and should be retained at season's end.

Tristan Tweedie
The category B rookie has battled in recent games, but kicked two goals in his VFL debut back in May. At 190cm, the indigenous forward possesses a safe pair of hands, is good on the ground and is a reliable shot for goal. - Ryan Davidson

Could Brad Lynch be the ideal replacement for veteran skipper Robert Murphy? Picture: AFL Photoshttp://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/lynch040717.jpg