PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 20 2016 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
24-07-2016, 05:57 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 20 2016 match against North Melbourne at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
29-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Huge game, list your changes and the reasons

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 10:56 PM
In: McLean, Boyd, Suckling, Morris, Hrovat (Webb if any don't pull up)

Outs: Hamling, Adcock, Jong, Libba (inj), Macrae (inj)

G-Mo77
29-07-2016, 11:06 PM
I'd really like to make a case for Minson. Boyd rucking just doesn't work. We lose a tallmup forward and contest most of the time he rucks. Minson is durable and can ruck most of the game. Can we do it? I mean, hell, it can't get any worse in our forward 50. Why not?

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 11:08 PM
I'd really like to make a case for Minson. Boyd rucking just doesn't work. We lose a tallmup forward and contest most of the time he rucks. Minson is durable and can ruck most of the game. Can we do it? I mean, hell, it can't get any worse in our forward 50. Why not?

I would've suggested it, but don't think it'll happen for some reason.

G-Mo77
29-07-2016, 11:11 PM
I would've suggested it, but don't think it'll happen for some reason.

Probably not. Just tired of seeing the bomb to Stringer or Dickson and to see it chopped off and moved out of defence with ease. It happens again and again and again. I'm tired of it

bulldogtragic
29-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Probably not. Just tired of seeing the bomb to Stringer or Dickson and to see it chopped off and moved out of defence with ease. It happens again and again and again. I'm tired of it

And it's impossible to know if our forwards are actually in good form or not. We shouldn't drop them because Tony Lockett or Buddy Franklin couldn't deal with our garbage entries. How can we keep doing it? Surely whomever the coach is responsible for it isn't an effective coach or they would've learned by now.

Rocco Jones
30-07-2016, 12:29 AM
After hearing Bevo presser. I am guessing...

In- Morris, McLean, Webb
Out- Libba, Macrae, Hamling

bornadog
30-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Tomorrow's game gives an opportunity for a few players to be promoted.

Who can come in?

Minson, Webb, Hrovat, McLean, Dale.

Also we don't know how long Suckling, Morris ad Boyd are out, or even HC

LostDoggy
30-07-2016, 02:05 AM
Should Stringer really be playing with 1 arm? Pretty much the whole game he didn't raise his sore shoulder. Avoided tackling and contact.

Sounds like Boyd and Suckling may miss again going by the presser. Morris likely to play.

Will wait for the VFL game.

Go_Dogs
30-07-2016, 06:12 AM
In: Morris, Hrovat, Honeychurch
Out: Hamling, Macrae, Liberatore

Morris comes back in straight away, Hrovat to add some class around the ball and Honey to add some grunt in place of Macrae and Liberatore respectively. McLean and Dale the others I'm looking at to see how they go today, both could be options to add some class to our forward half.

Go_Dogs
30-07-2016, 06:26 AM
In: Morris, Hrovat, Honeychurch
Out: Hamling, Macrae, Liberatore

Morris comes back in straight away, Hrovat to add some class around the ball and Honey to add some grunt in place of Macrae and Liberatore respectively. McLean and Dale the others I'm looking at to see how they go today, both could be options to add some class to our forward half.

OK, just saw the VFL thread with Honeychurch out injured! I'll swap him for McLean.

MrMahatma
30-07-2016, 08:35 AM
IN: Morris, McLean, Hrovat, Minson
OUT: Libba, Macrae, Hamling, Adcock

I think we need to play Boyd as a permanent forward. He's rarely out marked and showed some
Good signs last night - found space, took grabs, kicked straight.

Mantis
30-07-2016, 08:40 AM
IN: Morris, McLean, Hrovat, Minson
OUT: Libba, Macrae, Hamling, Adcock

I think we need to play Boyd as a permanent forward. He's rarely out marked and showed some
Good signs last night - found space, took grabs, kicked straight.

There is no way that Adcock should be, or will be dropped... He needs to play until Boyd comes back.

Smads57
30-07-2016, 09:11 AM
There is no way that Adcock should be, or will be dropped... He needs to play until Boyd comes back.

I agree that Adcock will stay (also since Bevo praised his effort in presser).

i think it's time to bring in Minson to give a chop out for both Boyd (more time fwd) and Roughy (more time back next week at least)

i want to see Webb brought straight into the midfield - not stuck on a half fwd flank.

In Morris, Webb, Minson

Out Libba, Macrae, Hamling

lemmon
30-07-2016, 10:56 AM
In- Morris, Minson, Hrovat

Minson released Boyd to play more forward and Stringer goes to the midfield

G-Mo77
30-07-2016, 11:34 AM
In- Morris, Minson, Hrovat

Minson released Boyd to play more forward and Stringer goes to the midfield

Like it. Although Hrovat could be exchanged for a number of players. Mclean could come into consideration if he gets through today OK. Webb, Dale and Honeychurch (Injured?) all could come into that spot.

bornadog
30-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Bevo: Macrae probably a no, Morris yes, Boyd, and Suckling more than 50% chance

Also likes Hrovat, McLean and Roarke Smith as possibles.

Bullies
30-07-2016, 03:19 PM
How long is Libba out for?

azabob
30-07-2016, 04:29 PM
How long is Libba out for?

Anywhere between 2 weeks and the season.

I'm thinking we may not see him again this season.

josie
30-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Based upon VFL match ins likely to be Webb, Hrovat and possibly McLean.

Outs Libba, Macrae and personally I think Stevens as I think he has been poor in last 2 matches.

Hope they give Hamilng another go. Collins hurt his shoulder today in VFL so no backup backmen left to call upon.

If Morris ok then Hamling goes back to VFL as Cordy looked more competitive last night.

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 09:40 PM
In Morris Hrovat Webb
Out Hamling Libba Macrae

josie
30-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Really like marking ability and agility and never give up approach of Roarke Smith. I think he will play a bit in seniors next year and maybe snag a game or two if the injury curse continues.....

LostDoggy
30-07-2016, 09:46 PM
In-Hrovat,Webb,Moz,McLean

Out-Libba,MaCrae,Jong,Hamling

comrade
30-07-2016, 10:08 PM
If you can only have one of Stevens or Jong, who do you pick?

I'm leaning towards Jong.

azabob
30-07-2016, 10:10 PM

Interesting question.

I'm leaning the same way, not sure why, perhaps he is more athletic?

My biggest concern with Jong is he sometimes too hesitant at the contest.

azabob
30-07-2016, 10:21 PM
IN: Webb, Hrovat, Morris

OUT: Liberatore, Macrae, Hamling

Hrovat is generally a good decision maker when going forward, if he can stay injury free he will provide another option to help create, similar to Dainel.

I still would like to see JJ play more midfield and Hunter more back.

Would be a real bonus if Webb and Hrovat can become best 22 players by years end as both are good decision makers and use the footy well.

#Bemorebulldog

SlimPickens
30-07-2016, 10:21 PM
In: Boyd, Morris,Hrovat and Webb

Out: Hamling, Libba, Macrae, Adcock

bornadog
31-07-2016, 01:11 AM
In: Boyd, Morris,Hrovat and Webb

Out: Hamling, Libba, Macrae, Adcock

I would be happy with that

F'scary
31-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Stevens got BOG only 3 games back against GCS. I thought both Stevens and Jong worked very hard at the stoppages against Gee, which helped to stop the match becoming a blowout for us and Adcock had his best outing for us. Nevertheless...

Out: Libba (inj), Macrae (inj) Hamling, Adcock, Jong.

In: McLean, Hrovat, Morris, Webb, Minson.

(I am assuming Matt Boyd and Suckling will not be available.)

Minson can go all match in the ruck, won't do much else except go from stoppage to stoppage, but that will give us the flexibility to play Tom Boyd and Roughy in other positions.

Webb to be played as a backman in place of Adcock. Sorry to all the Adcock fans but I have a policy (a "play youth" policy) of selecting any of the following ahead of him: Cordy, Webb, Dale, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Williams, R Smith, Jong.

SonofScray
31-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I think we'll see another 4 changes this week, maybe 5. Looks like Minson isn't being factored into thinking at all, but I still feel he should be in the mix. Replacements for Libba and Macrae, maybe Roughhead? He was sore in the shoulders I thought from his body language.

Hrovat and Webb up for inclusion. Any of Boyd, Morris and Suckling.

mjp
31-07-2016, 02:01 PM

I say Stevens. The goal Jong missed to start the third quarter was honestly a match defining moment. If you can't kick, you can't play and he HAD to kick that. I simply don't trust him with the ball in hand and I don't understand how anyone can.

Remi Moses
31-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Kicking is king and Lin can't kick . Stevens although not a great kick , is better than Lin .

hujsh
31-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Jong's advantage is his athleticism. However he doesn't use it enough, doesn't get enough of the ball and doesn't do enough with the ball right now. So the question is can he fix some or all of these issues? If so he'll probably offer more than Koby. If not Koby's the better player right now and will probably stay that way.

The bulldog tragician
31-07-2016, 03:38 PM
mark Stevens reporting that Macrae and Libba will both be out til end of year. Can it get any worse?

F'scary
31-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Stevens got BOG only 3 games back against GCS. I thought both Stevens and Jong worked very hard at the stoppages against Gee, which helped to stop the match becoming a blowout for us and Adcock had his best outing for us. Nevertheless...

Out: Libba (inj), Macrae (inj) Hamling, Adcock, Jong.

In: McLean, Hrovat, Morris, Webb, Minson.

(I am assuming Matt Boyd and Suckling will not be available.)

Minson can go all match in the ruck, won't do much else except go from stoppage to stoppage, but that will give us the flexibility to play Tom Boyd and Roughy in other positions.

Webb to be played as a backman in place of Adcock. Sorry to all the Adcock fans but I have a policy (a "play youth" policy) of selecting any of the following ahead of him: Cordy, Webb, Dale, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Williams, R Smith, Jong.

On reflection, Jong stays in. Hrovat to find form in the VFL first.

Mantis
31-07-2016, 05:53 PM
I say Stevens. The goal Jong missed to start the third quarter was honestly a match defining moment. If you can't kick, you can't play and he HAD to kick that. I simply don't trust him with the ball in hand and I don't understand how anyone can.

Would Stevens have kicked it?

azabob
31-07-2016, 06:20 PM
On reflection, Jong stays in. Hrovat to find form in the VFL first.

Interesting reflection. Granted I didnt see yesterday's VFL game but Hrovat played better than McLean and has more match fitness than McLean.

I would give McLean one more game at VFL level before considering him.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Would Stevens have kicked it?

In short, no.

I'm not a fan of Jong, but outside of his 3-4 standout games against average opposition a year, Stevens is no better. He's slow by foot and mind and is a terrible decision maker. He's a better kick than Jong, but I'd almost argue Jong has overtaken him in most other areas. For all his obvious flaws, Jong has a bit of presence in big games. When has Stevens stepped up in a big game?

FWIW neither should be in our best 22 in the near future.

MrMahatma
31-07-2016, 09:26 PM
mark Stevens reporting that Macrae and Libba will both be out til end of year. Can it get any worse?

We'll be in the "making up the numbers" mix if things don't improve.

Axe Man
01-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Waite is out for the rest of the home and away season. He was probably the difference last time so at least that's one less headache for our backline. Odds on Majak Daw returning and kicking 6 against us again?:eek:

Jeanette54
01-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Whilst we have a number of hardworking inside players who are all capable of cracking in and doing the hard work, we have very few who are capable of delivering some real quality disposals from inside the packs. This is where we really miss Mitch and Tom. I think the MC should be looking for precisely this quality when bringing in replacements for this week. Could we be in for a surprise selection? Who shows this ability in the twos?

Also I am another vote for Big Will's inclusion, even though the consensus in this thread is that he will not play.

always right
01-08-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm for bringing Hrovat in. One thing he does do is lower his eyes when kicking into the forward line and is a neat kick. We'll need that against North who prefer the ball coming in long and high.

I desperately want to see us kick goals on Thompson and Ferritto this week. Two of my most despised players.

bornadog
01-08-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm for bringing Hrovat in. One thing he does do is lower his eyes when kicking into the forward line and is a neat kick. We'll need that against North who prefer the ball coming in long and high.

I desperately want to see us kick goals on Thompson and Ferritto this week. Two of my most despised players.

You are not alone there.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 06:47 PM
I think Jong has to be instructed if he is free out the back with the ball, to run, as Jarrad Grant used to, right into the mouth of the goals, and kick it right into the stands. He has the pace to do that, and it's better than his errant kicking, even from 30 out.

Axe Man
01-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I think Jong has to be instructed if he is free out the back with the ball, to run, as Jarrad Grant used to, right into the mouth of the goals, and kick it right into the stands. He has the pace to do that, and it's better than his errant kicking, even from 30 out.

That's a good point. On a related topic, Adelaide are masters of getting someone out the back for an easy goal, yet when we have the ball in a similar fast break situation we are forced to stop and kick sideways as we have nothing forward of the ball. Are our forwards too slow to react or lacking the fitness or pace to stream forward ahead of their defenders?

Jong has the pace, but I'm not sure he has the nous to recognise when a turnover is going to occur before it actually happens in order to catch the defenders off guard. Stringer on the other hand is a player that should be smart enough and quick enough to score some easy goals this way. Where is Nathan Eagleton when you need him?

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 07:11 PM
That's a good point. On a related topic, Adelaide are masters of getting someone out the back for an easy goal, yet when we have the ball in a similar fast break situation we are forced to stop and kick sideways as we have nothing forward of the ball. Are our forwards too slow to react or lacking the fitness or pace to stream forward ahead of their defenders?

Jong has the pace, but I'm not sure he has the nous to recognise when a turnover is going to occur before it actually happens in order to catch the defenders off guard. Stringer on the other hand is a player that should be smart enough and quick enough to score some easy goals this way. Where is Nathan Eagleton when you need him?

Agreed. Stringer, in his defence, is now first on the whiteboard of opposition analysts. Used to get free much more often than he does now.

The bulldog tragician
01-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Its so frustrating when we fight like hell for an opportunity and the forward line is literally empty. is it something to do with our team defence, guys getting sucked in too far up the field? i'd love to see a Pagan's paddock scenario sometimes with Jake one out and able to run straight towards goal, he would be too quick for moat defenders. isn't it hard to remember, now, our so called 'sexy' football - scoring has become a hard fought grind now.

bornadog
02-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Bevo Presser

* I'm really fortunate to be given a new deal. I'm a product of everyone's energy and commitment. I'm really looking forward to our future.

* Try telling our players that our year is over. We think there's still a lot of growth in us.

* Dale Morris should be fine this weekend and Matty Boyd's had a good week. Suckling might be touch and go.

* Nathan Hrovat hasn't had a clear run at it this year but we'd like to bring him in at some point. It might be this week.

* There were plenty of positives to come out of the Cats game but there were also frustrating parts. But we still think we can beat anyone.

* We play the right game style that we want to but we don't think we get it right enough.

* North are a tall side so Minson will definitely be considered.

* All our games are important but we've lost two in a row now and we need to start winning. North will test us.

* I would like to thank the Club and Peter Gordon for their investment in me. It means a lot to be charged with this responsibility.

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 04:59 PM
There's a question about Minson every week! Same answer is provided by Bevo. I think it's time though.

Ins - Hrovat, Boyd, Morris, Minson

Outs - Macrae, Libba, Hamling & Roughy

Would love to fit Webb in because he deserves another crack. But Adcock did enough to hold his spot.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-08-2016, 07:39 PM
For me selection wise this week: Picken in the centre and being asked the question: can you lift for this one? He will go up another level and be an extra player. Big heart, it's in the genes.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2016, 01:00 AM
For me selection wise this week: Picken in the centre and being asked the question: can you lift for this one? He will go up another level and be an extra player. Big heart, it's in the genes.

North- A stronger bodied, experienced list missing a step or two of pace and a very good ruck ( possibly carrying an injury ).
Make Willbur knock him around a bit.
Give instructions to Easton, JJ and Biggs to hug the boundry and run it up. When under pressure, don't be afraid to kick it sideways, try to wear them down a bit before going inside.
Try to get Thompson on Boyd, to try and let Stringer off the leash a bit.
Picken to back to a negating role if they start to win the midfield.

But then again, what do I know?

bornadog
04-08-2016, 03:45 PM
For those who can't make it to the game on Saturday and don't have Foxtel, Channel 7 have switched this game to 7Mate due to Olympic coverage, which they deem is more important than a top 8 clash.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-08-2016, 03:54 PM
For those who can't make it to the game on Saturday and don't have Foxtel, Channel 7 have switched this game to 7Mate due to Olympic coverage, which they deem is more important than a top 8 clash.

Even more staggering given the time the game is on is not a time where there would be live Olympic action.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2016, 03:55 PM
At least Bruce McSpew will be away! yippee.

bornadog
04-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Played Last time

Didn't play last time.

Jackson Macrae

Jason Johannisen

Mitchell Wallis

Thomas Boyd

Toby McLean

Josh Dunkley

Tom Campbell

Easton Wood

Thomas Liberatore

Clay Smith

Marcus Adams

Zaine Cordy

Bailey Dale

Joel Hamling

The bulldog tragician
04-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Played Last time

Didn't play last time.

Jackson Macrae

Jason Johannisen

Mitchell Wallis

Thomas Boyd

Toby McLean

Josh Dunkley

Tom Campbell

Easton Wood

Thomas Liberatore

Clay Smith

Marcus Adams

Zaine Cordy

Bailey Dale

Joel Hamling

Ouch. We haven't been able to take a trick this year.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Played Last time

Didn't play last time.

Jackson Macrae

Jason Johannisen

Mitchell Wallis

Thomas Boyd

Toby McLean

Josh Dunkley

Tom Campbell

Easton Wood

Thomas Liberatore

Clay Smith

Marcus Adams

Zaine Cordy

Bailey Dale

Joel Hamling

We are so unlucky on the injury front.

bornadog
04-08-2016, 07:31 PM
In: Hrovat, Boyd, Morris, Webb

Out: Libba, Macrae, Stevens, Adcock

bornadog
04-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Hamling still in, will need the extra tall.

North have Waite out and Daw in.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Very good ins. Great to have Morris and M Boyd back which will help our defence. Hrovat and Webb will add a bit. Hrovat to be affective in the forward line and Webb in defence.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Hamling still in, will need the extra tall.

North have Waite out and Daw in.

Do you reckon Adcock is a good omission? Didn't do too badly last week.

bornadog
04-08-2016, 07:35 PM

He was there to replace Boyd, and Boyd is back, so yes.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 07:36 PM
He was there to replace Boyd, and Boyd is back, so yes.

What role we you see Hrovat and Webb is playing? Great to see them back.

bornadog
04-08-2016, 07:39 PM
What role we you see Hrovat and Webb is playing? Great to see them back.

I hope Webb gets more time in the midfield as he has been groomed to play there. Hrovat will most likely play HFF.

Nice story here about Webb and Dunks

Dream come true for Webb, Dunks (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-08-04/dream-come-true-for-webb-dunks)

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 07:45 PM
I hope Webb gets more time in the midfield as he has been groomed to play there. Hrovat will most likely play HFF.

Dream come true for Webb, Dunks (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-08-04/dream-come-true-for-webb-dunks)

Thanks for sharing BAD

Go_Dogs
04-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Happy with those ins.

Looking forward to seeing Webb spend more time inside and Hrovat get an opportunity.

Dry Rot
04-08-2016, 07:49 PM

Like the way Dunkley reckons he loves the opportunity to play inside. Good to see he loves the engine room.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Great ins, despite our outs. I'm hoping to see some good foot skills from Webb & Hrovat to our forwards.

GVGjr
04-08-2016, 07:58 PM

Adcock was rookied with the aim to potentially fill in for Murphy, M.Boyd and Morris. With M.Boyd and Morris back it's a decent omission.

I think the selectors have got the "ins" correct.

Eastdog
04-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Good to have Dicko, Hrovat and Dahl all in the team. That will add a lot to our attack along with when McLean gets back in the side. Need good games from all 3.

Smads57
04-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Webb must be allowed to play midfield, else they are wasting his inclusion.

SonofScray
04-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Adcock was rookied with the aim to potentially fill in for Murphy, M.Boyd and Morris. With M.Boyd and Morris back it's a decent omission.

Totally agree, Adcock has served his purpose this season, to varying degrees. With Morris and Boyd back the balance swings much more in favour of adding in some dash and youthful exuberance. The only IN I expected, maybe naive of me given recent history, was Minson. Thought he was a certainty this week.

ledge
04-08-2016, 08:06 PM
All the talls at nth .. Would have liked to see Minson go in the ruck and Roughead stay back with Boyd staying forward

GVGjr
04-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Totally agree, Adcock has served his purpose this season, to varying degrees. With Morris and Boyd back the balance swings much more in favour of adding in some dash and youthful exuberance. The only IN I expected, maybe naive of me given recent history, was Minson. Thought he was a certainty this week.

Tend to agree. The only other possible selection to me was Minson for Hamling. This would have meant Roughead spending some time in the back half.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Well done Nathan and Lukas. Will out is a disappointment.
Our speed will really challenge North.

In - Majak Daw for JW.

B: Scott Thompson, Michael Firrito, Aaron Mullett
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Robbie Tarrant, Nick Dal Santo
C: Sam Gibson, Daniel Wells, Ryan Clarke
HF: Lindsay Thomas, Ben Brown, Brent Harvey
F: Jed Anderson, Drew Petrie, Jack Ziebell
Fol: Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Trent Dumont
Int: Brad McKenzie, Ben Cunnington, Shaun Atley, Majak Daw
Emer: Lachlan Hansen, Corey Wagner, Declan Mountford

merantau
04-08-2016, 08:49 PM
I'm surprised Minson has been overlooked. Roughie had better bring his best game along otherwise
Tom Boyd is going to spend more time in the ruck than we would like. This is a must win game. We need to shut down Wells and I would like to see Picken take him.

Remi Moses
04-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Predictable changes . Clearly not pleased with Koby Stevens last week .
Good luck to the Rat ( he's overdue luck ) and Roughie needs a big one on Goldstein.

G-Mo77
04-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Yeah Minson out is disappointing for mine. Would like an tall planted inside 50 for most of the game rather than have that stain Thompson or Tarrant cutting off bombed entries.

Mantis
04-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Yeah Minson out is disappointing for mine. Would like an tall planted inside 50 for most of the game rather than have that stain Thompson or Tarrant cutting off bombed entries.

Couldn't we do what we did last week with either Cordy or Hamling playing the role of defensive tall forward?

ratsmac
04-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Minson named as emergency so he's not out of the coaches minds completely.

G-Mo77
04-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Couldn't we do what we did last week with either Cordy or Hamling playing the role of defensive tall forward?

Are either of those guys going to make them accountable though? You'd think Firito would sit on them if they came forward. What I've seen of Norf is that there back half work well together to free up a helper to chop out an inside entry. Having one of Thompson or Tarrant with no real accountability will not be good for us. It wasnt good for us last time either.

The Underdog
04-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Do you mean Roughead mostly forward while Minson mostly rucks?

jeemak
04-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Tend to agree. The only other possible selection to me was Minson for Hamling. This would have meant Roughead spending some time in the back half.

Minson as emergency says to me Rough is under a cloud potentially.

Adcock was more that reasonable last week, though I get why he's not included.

Happy for Webb and really looking forward to Hrovat giving a senior berth pre-finals a decent shake. I rate Honey as well, and I feel for him being injured at a time of opportunity for the fringe.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-08-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm surprised Minson has been overlooked. Roughie had better bring his best game along otherwise
Tom Boyd is going to spend more time in the ruck than we would like. This is a must win game. We need to shut down Wells and I would like to see Picken take him.

This was the ideal game to play Minson. Very surprised he wasn't selected.
Minson in could have meant dropping Roughy back in defence if both Roberts and Hamling struggle against Petrie and Brown plus now Daw. Tom Boyd needs to spend more time forward, adding extra pressure on Roughead.

G-Mo77
04-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Do you mean Roughead mostly forward while Minson mostly rucks?

Yeah. That's what I've preferred.

The Pie Man
05-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Are they persisting with Hamling in the hope he gains confidence, or were they happy enough with his defensive efforts in the 2nd half last week?

I thought a call out of Cordy & Hamling would me made, and Zaine would get the nod - don't mind being wrong on this TBF

I'm also happy we're persisting with the Rough/Boyd combo given the other athletic talls selected.

I am genuinely shocked Stevens got dropped though - not against it, just assumed Bevo would never drop Kobe if fit.

I like our chances tomorrow.

Axe Man
05-08-2016, 03:51 PM

Even more staggering given the time the game is on is not a time where there would be live Olympic action.

It's a replay of the opening ceremony, which will have already been shown live from 9am Saturday morning!

bulldogsthru&thru
05-08-2016, 03:59 PM
It's a replay of the opening ceremony, which will have already been shown live from 9am Saturday morning!

Unbelievable. Surely a replay of the opening ceremony could have been put on 7 Two and live footy on 7 and 7 mate (for HD)

always right
05-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Are either of those guys going to make them accountable though? You'd think Firito would sit on them if they came forward. What I've seen of Norf is that there back half work well together to free up a helper to chop out an inside entry. Having one of Thompson or Tarrant with no real accountability will not be good for us. It wasnt good for us last time either.

I'm hoping we have a plan for our forward entries that doesn't rely on putting the ball deep on the heads of Boyd and Stringer. We need to lower our eyes and hit targets leading into the 40m area. The elevation of Hrovat and Webb gives me some hope that this could be the plan.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Very light on for height IMO. Minson should have been selected and huge pressure on Roberts and Hamling to perform against North's talls in attack. Our ability to win in the midfield without Libba and Macrae will be the key.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Very light on for height IMO. Minson should have been selected and huge pressure on Roberts and Hamling to perform against North's talls in attack. Our ability to win in the midfield without Libba and Macrae will be the key.

Same as last week. Our backline becomes the midfield and pray to god they don't get it down or they will score.

Mantis
05-08-2016, 06:06 PM

Last time around we had Roberts, Adams & Morris as our tall defenders... This time its Roberts, Hamling/ Cordy & Morris, so no real difference.

Waite was influential kicking 4 of 9, but Brown & Petrie didn't have much effect... I think we go into this one ok.

1eyedog
05-08-2016, 07:41 PM

I'm not worried about this. Brown can roam a bit and Hamling has the legs to go with him and I'm comfortable with Roberts on Petrie. Petrie is a shade of his former self.

I'm actually far more worried about what we do than I am about what they do.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Last time around we had Roberts, Adams & Morris as our tall defenders... This time its Roberts, Hamling/ Cordy & Morris, so no real difference.

Waite was influential kicking 4 of 9, but Brown & Petrie didn't have much effect... I think we go into this one ok.
I hope you are right. Hamling was poor last week and Cordy is virtually untried at senior level.
Morris is now best suited to play on smalls/ medium size forwards. Brown is in good touch and Petrie returned to form last week. I still have doubts about going in with only one genuine ruck man in Roughead. Roughead IMO lacks the physical strength to go it alone and without Campbell being available, it seemed an ideal opportunity to play Minson.
Tom Boyd's real value is at FF being our only tall on the forward line.

1eyedog
05-08-2016, 08:10 PM
I hope you are right. Hamling was poor last week and Cordy is virtually untried at senior level.
Morris is now best suited to play on smalls/ medium size forwards. Brown is in good touch and Petrie returned to form last week. I still have doubts about going in with only one genuine ruck man in Roughead. Roughead IMO lacks the physical strength to go it alone and without Campbell being available, it seemed an ideal opportunity to play Minson.
Tom Boyd's real value is at FF being our only tall on the forward line.

We've played like this all year and still have one of the best defences in the AFL. We are actually quite tall this week with roberts and Hamling down back. Often we've been Adams / Morris and that's it. Hamling played forward last week and I think is better suited down back, but he's running out of chances.

Agreed re. Minson.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm not worried about this. Brown can roam a bit and Hamling has the legs to go with him and I'm comfortable with Roberts on Petrie. Petrie is a shade of his former self.

I'm actually far more worried about what we do than I am about what they do.

If only. He's kicked more goals on us and our undermanned defence than any other team.

1eyedog
05-08-2016, 08:29 PM
If only. He's kicked more goals on us and our undermanned defence than any other team.

Petrie's kicked more than 30 goals in a year once since 2009. N. Riewoldt, Franklin, Kennedy, Betts, Le Cras and likely a host of others have kicked more goals against us than Petrie. They got Waite because Petrie isn't able to put out anymore. I'd be surprised if he towels Roberts up.

Also he played up the ground last week and kicked 2 goals, took a bunch of chest marks is what I saw and hardly worked his way back in form. He'll be forced deep with Waite out and like I said I'm comfortable with Roberts.

Thomas is the one whose likely to pull one out of his arse and kick a bag.

Happy Days
05-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Petrie's kicked more than 30 goals in a year once since 2009.

That's...not right.

2011 - 48
2012 - 58
2013 - 48
2014 - 50
2015 - 42

1eyedog
05-08-2016, 10:13 PM
That's...not right.

2011 - 48
2012 - 58
2013 - 48
2014 - 50
2015 - 42

Stats, stats, stats, don't try to fool me with boring stats. Anyway, Petrie is a hack alright!

Whoops I was looking from 2009 down which is going backwards in years. Stupid upside down stats

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-kangaroos--drew-petrie

Ghost Dog
05-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Petrie's kicked more than 30 goals in a year once since 2009. N. Riewoldt, Franklin, Kennedy, Betts, Le Cras and likely a host of others have kicked more goals against us than Petrie. They got Waite because Petrie isn't able to put out anymore. I'd be surprised if he towels Roberts up.

Also he played up the ground last week and kicked 2 goals, took a bunch of chest marks is what I saw and hardly worked his way back in form. He'll be forced deep with Waite out and like I said I'm comfortable with Roberts.

Thomas is the one whose likely to pull one out of his arse and kick a bag.

He tends to kick goals on us. Anyway, no worries. Fletch lives!

1eyedog
06-08-2016, 08:35 AM
He tends to kick goals on us. Anyway, no worries. Fletch lives!

I remember him kicking like 6 in the first quarter way back when.

Like the Fletch Lives ref.

LostDoggy
06-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Looking at these teams, we just don't look right without Macrae. Unassuming type, but his absence makes me appreciate how much he consistently contributes to us. For us to win, feel we need a huge game from Hunter and for others to step up in Macrae's (and Libba and Wally's) absence.

Over the last few weeks, it's been great to see Dunkley and Clay really step up and make the most of greater opportunity provided by injuries to our stars, whereas some have been a bit disappointing (Stevens, Jong). Lets hope a Webb, Hrovat or Jong can make a real statement today.

Hotdog60
06-08-2016, 09:54 AM
I like to see how the Webb and Dunkley show goes as they are very good mates. I hope they can spur each other on to greater heights.
I think they are the Libba and Wally replacements.

KT31
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Unbelievable. Surely a replay of the opening ceremony could have been put on 7 Two and live footy on 7 and 7 mate (for HD)

Caught a quick glimpse of it this morning, certainly a big drinking problem over there with the biggest wine bladders I've ever seen and the re-enactment of the athletes village being robbed then collapsing was great.:D

bornadog
06-08-2016, 01:34 PM
I remember him kicking like 6 in the first quarter way back when.

Like the Fletch Lives ref.

Was it Lake or that other bloke Harris on him that day.

EasternWest
06-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Was it Lake or that other bloke Harris on him that day.

I actually think Hargrave was stuck on him for most of the first quarter.

Bulldog Joe
06-08-2016, 06:02 PM
I actually think Hargrave was stuck on him for most of the first quarter.

It was definitely that bloke Harris.

hujsh
06-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Tommygun was blamed for most of it. (at least on here)

bornadog
06-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Tommygun was blamed for most of it. (at least on here)

I think he was switched on Petrie after he had already kicked 4 or 5. Lake actually mentioned that day on AFL360 last Thursday when they were discussing Petrie.