PDA

View Full Version : Open Mike - Jacko

bornadog
27-07-2016, 11:11 AM
If you haven't seen this episode with Mark Jackson, then I recommend you do.

I laughed throughout, I agreed on some points Jacko made, and couldn't believe what he said to Mike.

For those that never saw Jacko, you will be shocked on his antics on the field. (some clips in episode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXCB5ZOO7Q

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-07-2016, 11:26 AM
I tuned in... and in hindsight wished I hadn't. Irrespective of people's perceptions of Sheahan, Jackson carried on the same way he played football, without respect for his opponent, without dignity, a lack of coherence, and an almighty chip on his shoulders. At no point does he ever think to assume some semblance of responsibility for his own wasted talent, preferring to ramble incoherently about some perceived organised vendetta against him and others of his ilk.
Seriously delusional, and at times I wondered last night whether he was high, or whether he is suffering serious mental illness.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I tuned in... and in hindsight wished I hadn't. Irrespective of people's perceptions of Sheahan, Jackson carried on the same way he played football, without respect for his opponent, without dignity, a lack of coherence, and an almighty chip on his shoulders. At no point does he ever think to assume some semblance of responsibility for his own wasted talent, preferring to ramble incoherently about some perceived organised vendetta against him and others of his ilk.
Seriously delusional, and at times I wondered last night whether he was high, or whether he is suffering serious mental illness.

Yep,

But great viewing. :D

Dancin' Douggy
27-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Serious mental health issues there. Can't hold a coherent thread on anything. Can't be interrupted. Won't listen to a single word coming back to him.
What a nightmare. That's actually making me nauseous watching it. Literally. Have to turn it off.

Bulldog4life
27-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Great television I thought personally. Jacko is a disrespectful wacko. But on the other hand he has done what he set out to do. People are talking about him again.

SonofScray
27-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Pretty grandiose type of character. I don't think I ever saw him play, but footy is a very homogenous world these days so seeing the footage and listening to his perspective was a really stark point of difference.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Great television I thought personally. Jacko is a disrespectful wacko. But on the other hand he has done what he set out to do. People are talking about him again.

Amongst all the yelling and screaming and carrying on, he actually has a bit of a football brain, (in there somewhere :D )

Bulldog4life
27-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Amongst all the yelling and screaming and carrying on, he actually has a bit of a football brain, (in there somewhere :D )

Yes he does but he won't or cannot express himself in a proper manner.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Yes he does but he won't or cannot express himself in a proper manner.

True. It's a real shame he didn't make use of his talent as he could kick some ripper goals.

I remember back in the 80s he said he use to run at players to scare them, but the one player that was never afraid was Rick Kennedy.

Ozza
27-07-2016, 02:51 PM
He played before my time - but I noticed in his career stats that he kicked at least one goal in every one of his first 79 matches...and only missed out once in his 82 games.

Average of 3.76 goals per game. Must have had some ability.

Bulldog4life
27-07-2016, 02:52 PM
True. It's a real shame he didn't make use of his talent as he could kick some ripper goals.

I remember back in the 80s he said he use to run at players to scare them, but the one player that was never afraid was Rick Kennedy.

Remember that too with Rick. He averaged 3.7 goals a game too so if he had his screwed on the right way he could have been very successful.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2016, 03:13 PM

This was a self promotion for Jacko's sportsmen's nights. I watched half the show which was more than enough.The guy tried to ridicule Mike Sheahan to make himself look good. I thought it was pathetic.

SonofScray
I enjoyed his comments re: an Australian rules national trust and the distinction he made between AFL and Australian Rules Football. I also nodded along with his abuse of the AFL media, until it got too personal with Sheehan, but we are seeing it at work with Boyd, so good on him.

Lost me on the women in footy front. That was just low brow stupidity.

Rocket Science
The bit where he refers to Kelvin Templeton as "this hack who wouldn't get a kick in a gang fight" is particularly delicious.

Remi Moses
27-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Gosh that was bloody awful .
All about himself

westdog54
27-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Remember that too with Rick. He averaged 3.7 goals a game too so if he had his screwed on the right way he could have been very successful.

Mal Brown said years ago that having to coach Jackson at South Fremantle "Was a penalty put onto (him) by Richmond" as he was on loan from Richmond at the time.

He once had Tony Buhagiar run past him and say "Hey Jacko, Jacko, you've got no balls."

With that, Jacko turned to the grandstand, pulled down his pants and said "What are these? What are these?"

ledge
27-07-2016, 04:55 PM
ADHD ? With a mixture of narcism?
Somethings he said I agree with and as much as people say he is a nut he isn't as stupid as you think . Definitely a football brain and could have been anything football wise.
Kind of reminds me of Warwick Capper , different personalities but the same If that makes sense. Just out there !
Oh I enjoy these personalities , makes the world an interesting and entertaining place.

Twodogs
27-07-2016, 06:07 PM
He played before my time - but I noticed in his career stats that he kicked at least one goal in every one of his first 79 matches...and only missed out once in his 82 games.

Average of 3.76 goals per game. Must have had some ability.

He was a decent mark and a straight kick for goal. What he did do well was control the forward line. He had all his teammates house trained. No one else kicked a Joe the goose in Jacko's forward line. Even if he had to run 30 metres to get it all the simple goals were his and his alone. God help you if you ran into an open goal before checking to make sure Jacko wasn't calling for a handball nearby. It was funny that his teammates were just as frightened of him as opponents were.

Dancin' Douggy
27-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Intelligence and mental illness often go together. Believe me I know. Which makes it even harder to deal with.

comrade
27-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Absolute send up if I've ever seen one. He was deliberately being abrasive in order to get attention and make himself a quid. The bloke is promoting a windscreen company on his shirt for god's sake.

Would take his antics with a grain of salt.

Twodogs
27-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Intelligence and mental illness often go together. Believe me I know. Which makes it even harder to deal with.

Yep. When your brain starts actively conspiring against you then the more intelligent the brain the worse it is.

Twodogs
27-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Yep. When your brain starts actively conspiring against you then the more intelligent the brain the worse it is.

Dancin' Douggy
27-07-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm dealing with a family member who isn't promoting a windscreen company and I recognized the madness and rage. Made me feel very uncomfortable watching that. That was beyond a performance, that was deep bitterness and a headspace way beyond logic and self reflection.

bornadog
27-07-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm dealing with a family member who isn't promoting a windscreen company and I recognized the madness and rage. Made me feel very uncomfortable watching that. That was beyond a performance, that was deep bitterness and a headspace way beyond logic and self reflection.

Jacko was always like that, on and off the field.

1eyedog
28-07-2016, 12:13 AM
Jacko was always like that, on and off the field.

Yeah Jacko has always been crazy in a sort of good / bad way.

SonofScray
28-07-2016, 12:15 AM

All the best for you and your family member DD. Hopefully you get appropriate support from family and MH services in your area.

Agree that there is no way Jacko puts it on. He is a genuinely eccentric, grandiose type of character.

EasternWest
28-07-2016, 03:22 PM
If you haven't seen this episode with Mark Jackson, then I recommend you do.

I laughed throughout, I agreed on some points Jacko made, and couldn't believe what he said to Mike.

For those that never saw Jacko, you will be shocked on his antics on the field. (some clips in episode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXCB5ZOO7Q

That was fascinating.

He's a narcissist, a bully and a victim - but he's crazy like a fox. Made some salient points. Loved the one about Melbourne being at the bottom and players not caring about the team because they were interested in saving themselves.

I'm no fan of Mike Sheahan, but I thought he handled himself pretty well and didn't rise to the bait.

Also, Jacko is absolutley huge. I wouldn't have sat opposite him with nothing between us when that kind of discourse was going on.

bornadog
28-07-2016, 03:40 PM
That was fascinating.

He's a narcissist, a bully and a victim - but he's crazy like a fox. Made some salient points. Loved the one about Melbourne being at the bottom and players not caring about the team because they were interested in saving themselves.

I'm no fan of Mike Sheahan, but I thought he handled himself pretty well and didn't rise to the bait.

Also, Jacko is absolutley huge. I wouldn't have sat opposite him with nothing between us when that kind of discourse was going on.

Rick Kennedy was a big bloke, have a look here:

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13719720_10153660971746003_3730129789905564871_o.jpg

EasternWest
28-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Rick Kennedy was a big bloke, have a look here:

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13719720_10153660971746003_3730129789905564871_o.jpg

Great comparison shot to give some perspective. A scary barrel chested beast.

jeemak
28-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Kennedy would have scared Jackson. Kennedy scared everyone.

Rocco Jones
28-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Kennedy would have scared Jackson. Kennedy scared everyone.

Genuine toughness > bravado.

merantau
04-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Jackson once toured pubs doing a comedy routine with Capper and Roger 'the Dodger' Rogerson. And we all know where old Roger is now. Jacko was an absolute loose canon on the football field. But he did have talent. To see a bloke as big as him run around the man on the mark and kick a goal was not something you see every day. Kicked a ton in the twos when he was with Richmond Not really equipped for team games. I think he put the gloves on and had a bout with Ronnie Andrews but his dalliance with the 'sweet science' was just that. I'd say he's virtually unemployable so has to make a quid any way he can.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2016, 08:43 PM
A lot of footy players from the 80s are in that position. There's poor old Micheal Tuck out digging ditches as a plumber because he can't afford to retire.

ledge
08-08-2016, 11:58 AM
A lot of footy players from the 80s are in that position. There's poor old Micheal Tuck out digging ditches as a plumber because he can't afford to retire.

Football was part time back then, but in saying that if you were smart with your money you could set yourself up.
Some were happy just living on the footy wage some took other jobs. In the 80s they actually started looking after players a bit more by lining up other jobs for them especially if they came from the country or interstate