PDA

View Full Version : John Barnes

RedWine&Blue
14-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Word is he's a terrific bloke to have around the club. What tricks and skills will he bring to our ruck division?

Sockeye Salmon
14-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Word is he's a terrific bloke to have around the club. What tricks and skills will he bring to our ruck division?

Is a very positive person to have around the club. Is very vocal at training and having a real extravert around the club is a good thing because we don't have many of them.

He was technically a very good palmer of the ball and this is one aspect that he is working on with the ruckmen.

alwaysadog
14-12-2007, 11:24 PM
He was also a very mobile ruckman around the ground. He played a very different style to Scottie and Luke. It won't hurt at all to have someone with a different style of ruck play to the Dempsey, Wynd, Darcy type.

I have 2 lasting memories of him. Firstly his dominant second half of the 1992 semi final for Geelong and the coat hanger he put on Johno just before half time in the 2000 win over Essendon with Brad making a very public post game pointing and yelling at him.

Also said at some stage that he couldn't stand Sheeds he talked too much and confused him, or words to that effect.

GVGjr
14-12-2007, 11:31 PM
He was also a very mobile ruckman around the ground. He played a very different style to Scottie and Luke. It won't hurt at all to have someone with a different style of ruck play to the Dempsey, Wynd, Darcy type.

I have 2 lasting memories of him. Firstly his dominant second half of the 1992 semi final for Geelong and the coat hanger he put on Johno just before half time in the 2000 win over Essendon with Brad making a very public post game pointing and yelling at him.

Also said at some stage that he couldn't stand Sheeds he talked too much and confused him, or words to that effect.

I remember Barnes and Stynes beating Wynd fairly regularly because they were both so mobile. Darcy was a better match-up for us and I think we used Standfield on occasions as well. Like Hawkins, Barnes knows a bit more about the game than his media persona gives him credit for.

alwaysadog
15-12-2007, 12:35 AM
I remember Barnes and Stynes beating Wynd fairly regularly because they were both so mobile. Darcy was a better match-up for us and I think we used Standfield on occasions as well. Like Hawkins, Barnes knows a bit more about the game than his media persona gives him credit for.

Couldn't agree more both were rough diamonds and highly talented footballers who took a good while to mature, but there is no doubt they understood the game. Essendon's 2000 premiership was largely due to the great season Barnes had and his inability to replicate it the reasson they so quickly dropped off. He will have a lot to contribute, though I hope his habit of having a couple of pizzas the night before a game doesn't rub off on our ruckmen.

LostDoggy
15-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Couldn't agree more both were rough diamonds and highly talented footballers who took a good while to mature, but there is no doubt they understood the game. Essendon's 2000 premiership was largely due to the great season Barnes had and his inability to replicate it the reasson they so quickly dropped off. He will have a lot to contribute, though I hope his habit of having a couple of pizzas the night before a game doesn't rub off on our ruckmen.

Would the knock on Barnes be that he might not set the best example away from the training track? He was always very fit as a player so having a pizza the night before a game obviously worked very well for him.
With Hudson, Street, Minson, Skipper and the back up guys like Wight and McDougall plus the two rookies of Mulligan and Shaw means that we need to have someone who can not only work on the around the ground stoppages but also refine the ruck work of these guys.

Bulldog Revolution
15-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Would the knock on Barnes be that he might not set the best example away from the training track? He was always very fit as a player so having a pizza the night before a game obviously worked very well for him.
With Hudson, Street, Minson, Skipper and the back up guys like Wight and McDougall plus the two rookies of Mulligan and Shaw means that we need to have someone who can not only work on the around the ground stoppages but also refine the ruck work of these guys.

Barnes is a larrikin - its who he is. I think its more just his lack of polish that makes it hard to know what substance there is to him.

The fact that we drafted two developing ruckman in the rookie draft demonstrates how much his appointment was all part of the plan.

bornadog
15-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Barnes is a larrikin - its who he is. I think its more just his lack of polish that makes it hard to know what substance there is to him.

The fact that we drafted two developing ruckman in the rookie draft demonstrates how much his appointment was all part of the plan.

He has great experience and has played in a few grandfinals as well, so his input will be invaluable, even thou he is a larriken.

Sockeye Salmon
15-12-2007, 03:46 PM
He was basically the only bloke we were interested in. That had as much to do with the quality of those available than anything else. There are practically no ruck coaches out there.

GVGjr
15-12-2007, 03:48 PM
He was basically the only bloke we were interested in. That had as much to do with the quality of those available than anything else. There are practically no ruck coaches out there.

Probably because typically it's only a part time position offered.

Harbrow_hero
15-12-2007, 05:58 PM

who was ruck coach this year?

GVGjr
15-12-2007, 06:01 PM
who was ruck coach this year?

From memory Scott Wynd found some time to do it again.