PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 20 2016 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 03:42 PM
This is the round 20 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
06-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Bank them and anch them

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 10:58 PM
B

Match committee. Rat & Webb needed to play and played well enough.
Bulldog Fight. Last time they beat up kids, this team men fought back physically and won.
Lots more, but my boy Zaine. Hurt opponents, and kicked a clutch goal. InZaine.

A

Umpiring. Borderline cheating.
Forward leading patterns. If they're being taught this, Gia has to go. Or they're slow learners.
Clay's concussion.

Ghost Dog
06-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Anchors
Stringer's set shots.
North stretching our jumpers to no effect.
Their collective head massage on Cordy. Where is Barry Hall when you need him?

Bankers
Our Backline, the dirty half-dozen.
Our depth. Lots of improvement in our list of borderline 22 players.
Caleb Daniel continues his run of good form. Trustworthy player.

SlimPickens
06-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Bankers
Fletcher Roberts- hardly lost a one on one and was incredibly composed with the ball in hand.

Morris and Boyd- the old men in defence, so important and so in control.

Jong- tough, uncompromising and relentless. Proved a lot of us wrong tonight.

Anchors
Hunter- disposal just has to improve.

Jake- you'll get rewards as soon as you lead at your teammates. Enough of this over the top dross.

Clays concussion

EasternWest
06-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Caleb Daniels

Grrr.

B.
Morris for his little spoil at the top of the goal square in the fourth.
Dunkley for his tap on at the centre bounce.
Bontempelli for standing up and taking a huge mark on the defensive 50 then turning it into attack.

A.
I've never paid much mind to Thomas, but tonight I watched him a bit more closely. I've never seen a player work harder at not doing the hard stuff. Amazing. He made Higgins look like Luke Hodge.
Hunter's centering kick. To be fair, he was pretty solid after that.
Ghost Dog - see above ;).

Ghost Dog
06-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Grrr.

B.
Morris for his little spoil at the top of the goal square in the fourth.
Dunkley for his tap on at the centre bounce.
Bontempelli for standing up and taking a huge mark on the defensive 50 then turning it into attack.

A.
I've never paid much mind to Thomas, but tonight I watched him a bit more closely. I've never seen a player work harder at not doing the hard stuff. Amazing. He made Higgins look like Luke Hodge.
Hunter's centering kick. To be fair, he was pretty solid after that.
Ghost Dog - see above ;).

Edited! I will write it 1000 times. Excuse my anchorly name spelling. I think because some commentators have been saying it I picked it up.

EasternWest
06-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Edited! I will write it 1000 times. Excuse my anchorly name spelling.

Excused!

Ghost Dog
06-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Excused!

Thanks!
Oh and Luke Dahlhaus, Picken. Powerful efforts. They are so consistent.

westbulldog
06-08-2016, 11:43 PM
Bankers
1. The stand up aggression we showed.
2. Bontempelli, will go close to the Brownlow.
3. Hamling and Roberts, both did a good job tonight.

Anchors
1. Clay's concussion.
2. Goalkicking accuracy...again.
3. Jake...need more 4 quarter involvement.

Stefcep
06-08-2016, 11:43 PM
B

Match committee. Rat & Webb needed to play and played well enough.
Bulldog Fight. Last time they beat up kids, this team men fought back physically and won.
Lots more, but my boy Zaine. Hurt opponents, and kicked a clutch goal. InZaine.

A

Umpiring. Borderline cheating.
Forward leading patterns. If they're being taught this, Gia has to go. Or they're slow learners.
Clay's concussion.

Happy for the win, but as you say its not acceptable. 60 inside 50's for 9 goals is so ridiculously bad and same pattern all year that IMO it IS a coaching rather player problem. We have one of the best lists we've ever had-the club cannot allow this opportunity to pass due to the ineptness of the coaching staff-ex-player, favourite son and all round good bloke are all irrelevant.

Eastdog
07-08-2016, 12:30 AM
Bankers

Our defence - Morris and M Boyd so important

Bonti - so important in the middle

Jong - played a solid game. Great effort

Anchors

Some of the umpiring - be consistent umpire - where I was sitting we were going off so many times over them

Clay Smith going down but I think he should be ok I hope

bornadog
07-08-2016, 01:02 AM
Bankers

* Bevo for having faith in such a young midfield and the midfield for standing up to the challenge

* Defence - suburb effort from the whole backline - special mention to Roberts and Hamling

* The Bont for standing up to the intimidation and giving some back

Anchors

* The team for not taking opportunities when we have 60 inside 50s

* Lachie and Morris for ridiculously passing the ball across the ground and gifting two goals.

* Bewildering umpiring, had us confused at times.

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 03:06 AM
B.
-the consistency of effort across the whole 22 players.
-Luke Dalhaus
-Beating North in a game that meant everything.

A
-North
-Forward line

Remi Moses
07-08-2016, 03:44 AM
B - The defenders and they way they work for each other, and is the men's dept.
- The intensity was tremendous
- The coach and the coaches ensuring our lads are ready to fill the breach
A - The pathetic tough guy crap from Norf , and in particular Firrito. I'm sure it's Italian for untalented
- Our Effiency going forward and converting in the forward half has to get better. I think it's something we have to address
- Confused with the officiating

LostDoggy
07-08-2016, 09:09 AM
BANKERS
- Bont over the last 12 weeks has been exceptionally bankable. Even went to another level last night, not backing down a millimetre from Norf's attempted intimidation and responding with a game high 9 tackles and 3 important contested marks. BOG again. What a complete pleasure to watch, can see him as a long, long term captain.
- Morris and Boyd, slotted in without missing a beat like we all knew they would. Ultimate professionals.
- Reckon Roughy deserves some credit for the weight he is continuing to carry. His game has limitations but has a serious crack and offers something around the ground. His previously fragile body has held up well when we have needed him this year.

ANCHORS
- Disfunctional forward line, 9.7 from 60 entries shouldn't win games under perfect conditions. If we can fix this, the sky is the limit.
- Clay Smith's wretched bad luck. Hopefully he'll be ok for next week as he is important, but if he's 99% over it, I'd rather see him rested.
- Although our defensive structures were again superb, a reduction in silly midfield turnovers would help the cause greatly.

merantau
07-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Bankers.
1. Team defence. Lots of bodies around the ball, high intensity defending, good decision making and excellent contributions from the new boys.
2. L. Picken works SO hard
3. Lin Jong. Loved the way he backed up Bont before the bounce and the way he never shirks a contest. His best game to date.
Anchors.
1. Clay's concussion.
2. We need to hit the scoreboard more.
3. Umpires paid some very soft frees to North.

always right
07-08-2016, 10:47 AM
B:
Hamling....has had a wretched year but may have turned it around last night.
Bonts....not only stood up to the rough stuff....actually initiated much of it. Special player.
Jong....rapt for him. He was terrific in all aspects of the game.

A:
Stringer....just a small anchor. Obviously carrying a shoulder injury but found it difficult to get involved. Still contributes.
Ferrito...loved our blokes giving it to him when he coughed up goals.
Umpire Mollison for that deliberate call. He had a mare last night.

comrade
07-08-2016, 11:25 AM
[/B]

* Lachie and Morris for ridiculously passing the ball across the ground and gifting two goals.

I had no problem with Hunter's kick. It was the right option, just didn't execute it.

Morris' kick was a shocker but I also blame Hrovat a little for demanding it. Morris was never capable of kicking it that long laterally.

jeemak
07-08-2016, 12:05 PM
I had no problem with Hunter's kick. It was the right option, just didn't execute it.

Morris' kick was a shocker but I also blame Hrovat a little for demanding it. Morris was never capable of kicking it that long laterally.

Morris toed his badly having not taken enough launching steps.

ratsmac
07-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Bankers

1. Bont for standing up to their try hard intimidation tactics and then played a superb game.
2. Hamling - he played a good game. We need all our fringe players to play well.
3. Team effort - this bulldogs team is made of the right stuff. They wouldn't be blamed for rolling over and losing considering out injuries.

Anchors

1. Stringer - a bit harsh considering his shoulder but he's better than that. To his credit though he was important in the last quarter for us.
2. Umpiring - they were trying everything to get norf over the line. Cheats.
3. Forward 50 entries - we are in all sorts in this department. The forwards aren't leading well at all, and the entries don't go in nearly well enough.

Smads57
07-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Bankers
- the hard nuts in the centre - Jong, Picken and Dahl
- backline (once again)
- the Bont
Anchors
- some poor disposal execution into fwd line
- wasted shots on goal from Dunkley and Roughy early in game
- Stringer's below par contribution - if he is worried about his shoulder then we need to rest him

Ozza
08-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Bankers:

Bont - peerless for class out there...but also, just has leadership and spirit in droves.
Roberts - becoming really reliable. Seems like he now feels truly part of the team, and his confidence and composure is growing.
Hamling - he's so obviously a defender only. Like Roberts, saw his confidence grow through the game.

Anchors:

T.Boyd - really awful. I have very little confidence in his hands, he may have less.
Spud Firritto - the nickname is accurate. Worst 200 gamer ever.

SlimPickens
08-08-2016, 10:13 AM
T.Boyd - really awful. I have very little confidence in his hands, he may have less.

Took 2 really good contested marks (one of which Dickson has a free paid against him). I feel like Tom is only inches away from really dominating marking, some greater strength through his arms will also help this.

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Took 2 really good contested marks (one of which Dickson has a free paid against him). I feel like Tom is only inches away from really dominating marking, some greater strength through his arms will also help this.

And would have goaled from that one as a result, more than likely. Was right out front.

Mofra
08-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Banker:
- Tom Boyd's decision making and disposal

Anchor:
- Tom Boyd's ability to get the ball in the first place

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Banker:

Anchor:

I watched him during the match and he competed quite well I thought. ( but ultimately, negated ). As long as he is improving in all areas the possessions will come.

bornadog
08-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Banker:

Anchor:

I really felt Tom was fatigued on Saturday. For such a young guy competing in the ruck and then going forward, he is not seasoned enough to justify that role. I know we have all been saying, he needs to stay in the goal square, but that gives us a problem with the second ruck.

Mofra
08-08-2016, 12:20 PM
I really felt Tom was fatigued on Saturday. For such a young guy competing in the ruck and then going forward, he is not seasoned enough to justify that role. I know we have all been saying, he needs to stay in the goal square, but that gives us a problem with the second ruck.
Campbell returns via VFL this week, hopefully he's a chance to get an AFL game or two before finals.
We played Campbell, Roughy & Redpath in the same side earlier in the year. Boyd can play Redpath's permanent forward role.

Mantis
08-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Campbell returns via VFL this week, hopefully he's a chance to get an AFL game or two before finals.
We played Campbell, Roughy & Redpath in the same side earlier in the year. Boyd can play Redpath's permanent forward role.

Only issue is that the VFL team have a bye this week.

G-Mo77
08-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Only issue is that the VFL team have a bye this week.

What a pain in the arse. Williams is also good to go apparently.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2016, 02:37 PM

We have had Camhead and Red playing together previously and the forward line has seemed more functional. Hopefully when Tommy C comes back in we can play in a similar way with Boyd as the main forward.

The Doctor
08-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Bankers

1. The Coaching staff. What a brilliant tactical display. Brilliant preparation and execution
2. Kudos to all the players for their performance in following the plan
3. The often unfairly maligned group of Jong, Roberts, Hrovat, Hamling who played their hearts out.

Instead of Anchors I'm going to put in LOLS

1. Norf list management lol
2. Brad Scott lol
3. Michael Firrito lol, lol

EasternWest
08-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Bankers
Instead of Anchors I'm going to put in LOLS

I think we should make this a thing.

bornadog
08-08-2016, 05:55 PM
I think we should make this a thing.