PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 21 2016 vs Collingwood

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 03:45 PM
This is the round 21 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Collingwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
12-08-2016, 09:54 PM
3 Bankers and 3 Anchors

bulldogtragic
12-08-2016, 11:51 PM
B & A - Josh Dunkley: Very solid game, best on AFL fantasy points. Two misses could've stolen that win away. They're not hard shots son.

B:

Biggs - Excellent
Bonts - Just Bonts
Zaine - 2 goals, handed one to Suckling and should've had another shot for HTB and not in the back.

A:

Stringer - When commentators are saying you're sitting out the back week after week looking for cheapies, everyone is on to you.
Forward line coach - What have you been doing for 12 months???
Umpiring again. Marsh walks one over in the first and no free kick. A tap to a player with 30 seconds goes out and deliberate. Get *!*!*!*!ed!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-08-2016, 12:19 AM
Bankers
Picken - 9 tackles, one of them in the last almost certainly a match-saving one.
Jong.- his 2 goals from on the run around 50 out in a tight game showed great ability to execute
Matthew Boyd high class performance, bar one abomination. Went at over 91% disposal efficiency.

A:
Tom Boyd- I know delivery is poor, but his movement within fifty isn't much to inspire a teammate up ground at times.
Dunkley. His goalkicking is just woeful.He could become an out and out star if he can rectify his goal-kicking. He has the size and intent to be a very imposing midfielder within 12-24 months. But if he keeps missing easy shots on goals, with such consistency (rivalled only by Roughead!) then his profligacy will cost us games at times, just as well as his other efforts may win them for us.

Ghost Dog
13-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Bankers
Tackling. Liam a stand out but it is a feature of our game and we do it well. While we didn't win the stat, we stopped the flow when it counted.
Winning in a variety of ways. Good teams need that. We lost all stats bar one and still managed to find a way.
Marcus, does it again. He was born for it.

A - Kicking efficiency. Hammers on the end of a pretty poor umpiring decision.
Interchange issues at the end with Bont stranded on the sideline.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2016, 12:58 AM
B:

1. You can never fault our effort.
2. Zaine is showing some very encouraging signs, love his aggression.
3. Hrovat was important, bad miss late but that aside was clean with his disposal.

- Apologies to Bont. Not his best, but he rises every time the game is on the line. Gun.

A:

1. Our skill level is atrocious at times, namely our delivery I50.
2. Dunkley's finishing. Holding him back from being a very good player already.
3. Stringer. Not much left to say about Jake, very disappointing effort. Suckling was pretty average, Toyd was very poor, but Stringer was downright awful.

always right
13-08-2016, 12:58 AM
B:
Bont.....when I wondered where our inspiration would come from, he lifted us over the line.
Hamling.....two good games in a row. What we needed.
Picken....four quarters of tough honest footy

A:
Stringer.....FFS lead at the ball carrier instead of expecting them to kick it 70m over the back.
Margetts.....those last two decisions. Borderline cheating.
Magpie army.....where were you?

Mantis
13-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Bankers-

Picken - after a error riddled first half he put the clamps on a player who needed to be shut down, the run down tackle in front of the Bulldog faithful was Picko to a tee.

Bont - he just lifts when you need it.. 20 year old kids shouldn't be doing this week after week.

M.Boyd - now that I can accept the 1 or 2 duffs per game I can see a high quality player underneath.. Just don't make one of those errors deep in the last qtr of a close game.

Anchors -

Fletch - from his best game for the club to almost his worst in the space of 6 days, that was as bad as it gets.

Stringer - gave us nothing except some crucial touches late, we need more Jake.

Defensive set-up - getting over having a little bloke as our last defender on a fast break.

The Doctor
13-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Bankers

Picken - always puts in
Bont - star, but I hope we don't always leave it to him to get us out of trouble
Biggs - underrated

Anchors

Stringer - leaving too much to others
Boyd - start using your size and impose
Dickson - limp warm lettuce leaf tackles, really pathetic efforts in last few minutes. This will cost us one day

LostDoggy
13-08-2016, 10:40 AM
BANKERS
Bont - I'm gonna have a template for this thread and have Bont pencilled in as permanent No.1. What a marvel.
Picken - So honest.
Dunkley - Needs to finish but love his competitive instincts. Will be a ripper.

ANCHORS
Roberts - Struggles without support, shame but can't see him as a long term key defender
Smith - Gives 100% but is looking like the last few weeks have caught up with him after his long breaks. A week or 2 off pre-finals could see him retain his explosiveness.
Suckling - When the game isn't going his way, he tries too hard to do something special with the ball. Frustrating to watch.

SlimPickens
13-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Anchors
Boyd - start using your size and impose.

Thought he actually did this a lot better this week. Definitely needs to do it more consistently but there were signs once again.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Thought he actually did this a lot better this week. Definitely needs to do it more consistently but there were signs once again.

Yeah, he smashed a Collingwood small with a knee in the back, taking the mark and his opponent out of the contest for a swarm forward. I'd still like to see him forward, I still struggle at times getting a pick one KPF and rucking him.

Eleanor Street
13-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Bankers-Bont, M.Boyd, L.Picken

Anchors-Jake looks like he's given a role he's not quite happy with or maybe a one string pony, does have X factor, Dal sems to throw the ball onto his boot a lot without real thought, Suckling for a senior, experienced premiership player doesn't seem to have to many answers when the chips are down. Just can't understand why we can't work out a forward entry structure

Encouragment awards-Hamling was good, agile, can run and take a mark, Cordy had a promising patch, Dunkley gets to the right spot forward, Rat was good for his couple, not sure we have Dicko as well

bornadog
13-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Dal sems to throw the ball onto his boot a lot without real thought,

Suckling for a senior, experienced premiership player doesn't seem to have to many answers when the chips are down.

This is so true, Dahl is one of the culprits that just bombs the ball in to noone in the forward 50, very disappointing after working so hard to get the ball.

I am convinced Suckling hasn't a defensive bone in his body

Eastdog
13-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Bankers

Bonti - what a player. Our best this year. That 3rd quarter effort got us back into it

Dahl - he is a very smart footballer along with Daniel

Dunkley - liked his game. Will be a player

Anchors

Our defensive effort were suspect last night

Stringer - dissapointing effort but probably carrying an injury. We all know what he is capable of but compared to last year hasn't been the best

Our skill errors we make which hurt us badly

Bulldog Joe
13-08-2016, 04:26 PM

I thought Boyd was a good contributor.

ratsmac
14-08-2016, 12:55 PM
I thought Boyd was a good contributor.

Me too. At the game I thought he was disappointing but that was probably due to Darcy Moore catching everything that came his way and Boyd dropping a few after getting decent purchase on the ball. However after watching the replay I thought Boyd was alright. Darcy Moore doesn't have to play ruck like Boyd does so I suppose he can be excused for taking time to develop.

ratsmac
14-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Bankers

1. Bonts third quarter. Wow. Imagine he plays 4 quarters like that.
2. Picken for keeping Sidebottom to just 3 disposals in the 2nd half after racking up 17 in the first half. Picken was still getting plenty of ball while doing a shut down role.
3. Hamling for a solid defensive game. I like that he wants to retain his spot in the team with a couple of great games in a row. Was terribly unlucky with some frees paid against him that just weren't there.

Anchors

1.Jakey Jakey Jakey. I hate that I'm putting Stringer in the Anchors so many times this year. Come on Jake, LIFT!
2. Fletcher Roberts - he would have to be the worst one on one full back in the league. He gets out marked so many times. Surely it's easier to spoil than it is to actually mark it. He should be able to at least half a contest if he is in the best 22.
3. Last 2 umpiring decisions. Disgraceful.

EasternWest
14-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Bankers

1. Bonts third quarter. Wow. Imagine he plays 4 quarters like that.
2. Picken for keeping Sidebottom to just 3 disposals in the 2nd half after racking up 17 in the first half. Picken was still getting plenty of ball while doing a shut down role.
3. Hamling for a solid defensive game. I like that he wants to retain his spot in the team with a couple of great games in a row. Was terribly unlucky with some frees paid against him that just weren't there.

Anchors

1.Jakey Jakey Jakey. I hate that I'm putting Stringer in the Anchors so many times this year. Come on Jake, LIFT!
2. Fletcher Roberts - he would have to be the worst one on one full back in the league. He gets out marked so many times. Surely it's easier to spoil than it is to actually mark it. He should be able to at least half a contest if he is in the best 22.
3. Last 2 umpiring decisions. Disgraceful.

Can't agree with that. The Jong one was definitely a bit iffy, but the one on Stringer was holding the ball. He was hoping to be carried over the line in the tackle and when he wasn't he just did nothing.

1eyedog
14-08-2016, 06:00 PM
I definitely thought Jong was trying to hit it to the line while looking like he was trying to hit it to Bont. I don't know it should have been more accurate than it was if it was meant for Bont.

Stringer was holding the ball no issue with it.

bornadog
14-08-2016, 07:11 PM
I definitely thought Jong was trying to hit it to the line while looking like he was trying to hit it to Bont. I don't know it should have been more accurate than it was if it was meant for Bont.

Stringer was holding the ball no issue with it.

Jong doesn't think enough in a game and all he wants to do is just get rid of the ball. I mean what a stupid thing to do when the game was in the balance. For gods sake Jong, grab the ball and hand pass to Bonti, or hold on to it and force a ball up. He could have cost us the game with the woeful decision.

This deliberate business by the AFEL, is one of the worse change of rule interpretations in the history of the game. It has confused everyone and has not improved the game one little bit.

ratsmac
14-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Can't agree with that. The Jong one was definitely a bit iffy, but the one on Stringer was holding the ball. He was hoping to be carried over the line in the tackle and when he wasn't he just did nothing.

OK that's fair enough but if they aren't paying blatant deliberate out of bounds during earlier parts of the game and then they pay them against us with less than a minute to go, well I call that disgraceful. And Stringer did nothing different than what happens 30 times a game and it's a ball up. In the context of how the game was umpired they were bad decisions imo.

EasternWest
14-08-2016, 10:27 PM
OK that's fair enough but if they aren't paying blatant deliberate out of bounds during earlier parts of the game and then they pay them against us with less than a minute to go, well I call that disgraceful. And Stringer did nothing different than what happens 30 times a game and it's a ball up. In the context of how the game was umpired they were bad decisions imo.

10/10 times Stringer was holding the ball. You're looking through red white and blue glasses, and that's something I understand, but if the situation was reversed and it wasn't called, we'd be burning the stadium down.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 10:31 PM
10/10 times Stringer was holding the ball. You're looking through red white and blue glasses, and that's something I understand, but if the situation was reversed and it wasn't called, we'd be burning the stadium down.

10/10 Dangerfield & Selwood it's a ball up or too high! :D

EasternWest
14-08-2016, 10:46 PM

He he. You're funny.

merantau
14-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Remember Judd? You could boil the kettle and make a cup of tea in the time he was given to get rid of the ball after being tackled.

always right
15-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Jong doesn't think enough in a game and all he wants to do is just get rid of the ball. I mean what a stupid thing to do when the game was in the balance. For gods sake Jong, grab the ball and hand pass to Bonti, or hold on to it and force a ball up. He could have cost us the game with the woeful decision.

Where's the unlike button? Couldn't disagree more.

bornadog
15-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Where's the unlike button? Couldn't disagree more.

Which part do you disagree?

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 10:20 AM

This deliberate business by the AFEL, is one of the worse change of rule interpretations in the history of the game. It has confused everyone and has not improved the game one little bit.

Agreed. There was no reason he couldn't have taken possession and palmed it off to Bont for a quick kick or even a scenario where Bont was hustled over the line if he was hot. Jong's in between slap to the line hoping that Bont could make up the ground had a lot of risk and reeked to me of someone in two minds and not thinking clearly on what he was doing. 9/10 of our players would have taken possession.

Mofra
15-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Bankers:
- Bontempelli for PM
- Picken. Would it be too early to say we need to target a small, quick shut-down / defensive mid at the draft this year or next?
- Cordy. Don't think he is a long term forward but his aggression really contrasts to the rest of our forward group. Loved the little hits he puts on, and his ball use is beautiful.

Anchors:
- One arm Stringer. His lateral movement seems compromised too. He's not the type to suffer from being out of touch after a layoff: rest him.
- Roberts - I've been a defender of his all year but it was a step backwards for him. His speed for decision making is slow as well.
- Injusries. At one point I thought we had Jong, Webb and Dunkley in the centre square. Collingwood have superstars running through their midfield. How we won is a minor miracle.

Bulldog4life
15-08-2016, 11:06 AM

And no free to Reiwoldt as he was scragged unmercifully with minutes to go in their goal square. Anywhere else on the ground or if it were Geelong it would have been a free.