PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 22 2016 vs Essendon

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 03:47 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 22 2016 match against Essendon at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
12-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Who's in and out? Some reasons behind the changes you are suggesting will make for more interesting discussions

The Bulldogs Bite
12-08-2016, 10:51 PM
McLean needs to play. Our forward line is diabolical.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2016, 11:58 PM
In: McLean, Minson
Out: Roughead (rest for Sandilands r. 23), Hunter (rest that lower leg knock)

KT31
13-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Do we give Jake a rest this week or play him and hope he has a field day ?
Looks to be hampered by injury and the week off might do him good.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2016, 12:04 AM

I'd have him play and instruction to not sit off waiting for cheapies. He needs to work and get his swagger back. Essendon is perfect fodder for that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Roughead and Tom Boyd in particular were poor in the ruck. We need to play Minson or Campbell when fit to allow Boyd to play forward . Clay Smith struggled badly and should be replaced by McLean.

LostDoggy
13-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Minson in for a send off and maybe jake needs a break. Not sure i can keep backing Suckling after that

westbulldog
13-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Ins Minson or Campbell, Morris or Adams , McLean
outs Stringer (rested), Smith, Webb

bornadog
13-08-2016, 01:55 AM
Roughead and Tom Boyd in particular were poor in the ruck. We need to play Minson or Campbell when fit to allow Boyd to play forward . Clay Smith struggled badly and should be replaced by McLean.

I am of the opinion Bevo doesn't care about ruck duels and winning tapouts, what he wants is winning the ball. Whether that is centre clearances, stoppages, cont.poss. As long as his ruckman can contribute around the ground, he is happy to back them in, and we did win all those stats.

I thought both Boyd and Roughie were excellent around the ground.

Remi Moses
13-08-2016, 02:47 AM
There was a worrying stat that they had 8 hitouts to advantage to our 1.
It just looked like Grundy took a massive advantage in that second .
I think we'll persevere, but Minson must be close .

Mantis
13-08-2016, 06:57 AM
Ins Minson or Campbell, Morris or Adams , McLean
outs Stringer (rested), Smith, Webb

Sounds about right, but I would like to see Webb get another chance against a team who doesn't have a strong midfield. Not sure Moz or Adams will be back so even though I'm not a fan Stevens will be in the mix too as he should be effective against teams like Ess and Freo.

soupman
13-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Not sure who comes out but I think it is very likely that at least one of Roarke Smith, Brad Lynch or Declan Hamilton gets a game this week. Beveridge loves playing these guys, and either of the next two games seem like very likely opportunities to give one or more of them an opportunity.

1eyedog
13-08-2016, 10:30 AM
I would like to see McLean in for Smith who could probably do with a rest.
I think we should take Koby over to Western Australia the following week.

LostDoggy
13-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Looks to be hampered by injury and the week off might do him good.

Jake to me is playing like he is (at least subconsciously) trying to avoid contact. Clearly a fair way from 100% physically. I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the last 2 games and went into the finals with a 3 week spell and ready to explode.

Tricky next 2 weeks as it is all about our best 22 for the finals. Who'd benefit from a rest and who is a realistic chance to make the finals team (McLean, Minson, Campbell - is there a surprise, such as Lynch?).

anfo27
13-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Stringer clearly not right. I'd give him the next 3 weeks to get himself right cause he can't play sore.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Our reserves are like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard. McLean, Stevens and Honeychurch are the in possibilities. With two games left before finals and Macrae, Libba and probably Adams to play in the finals, there's no point playing Honeychurch if the faith is with Smith, unless he is physically struggling and if he is what is he doing in the team? Ditto Stevens, no point playing him with Macrae and Libba coming back. Hrovat is safe until they come back and if he plays well before then, then after that too.
Hamling has found form at the right time to help finish off the home and away games and to offer flexibility thereafter. He may challenge Cordy for a spot in the forward half with Adams back.
So for this week's game against the hypodermic Bombers, McLean in but keep Hrovat the Cravat and Smith in too for valuable game time for them all. Dunkley out to learn that kicking a set shot for goal at least needs a confident rhythmic run up, not a three step unconfident amble. Josh you need momentum so that you can strike the ball better and have your head forward, which is the opposite of back. Try and head butt your knee as you strike the ball and do extra time drilling it before and after training for the next fortnight. You'll be a gun and kicking goals will become a piece of cake.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Hrovat was very good last night and McLean has looked good enough to be in our best 22. Smith was poor against Collingwood and hard to see him being retained in the finals. Dunkley and Cordy have both been very good and gives us more depth. Hamling and Adams look like fighting for the one position.
The forward line remains our big problem with Stringer Dickson and Tom Boyd all struggling.

1eyedog
13-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Hrovat was very good last night and McLean has looked good enough to be in our best 22. Smith was poor against Collingwood and hard to see him being retained in the finals. Dunkley and Cordy have both been very good and gives us more depth. Hamling and Adams look like fighting for the one position.
The forward line remains our big problem with Stringer Dickson and Tom Boyd all struggling.

What about Adams taking the big boys / Roberts' spot and Hamling the mobile second tall?

jeemak
13-08-2016, 02:13 PM
I want to see Stringer and Smith miss next week, with the latter playing only a half game in the VFL through the middle. Honey's injury couldn't have come at a worse time given Smith's patchy form (North game aside), though if he's put through some serious training this weekend and early in the week perhaps a return against the EFC isn't out of the question with it being a late Sunday game. The more likely scenario is Adcock coming in for a week, or Stevens getting a reprieve.

Stringer needs a rest and refresh, I'd bring in Minson and allow Boyd to play forward for most of the game to attempt to cover his absence. This has the added benefit of allowing Minson a chance to play in front of the Melbourne fans, I think we can acknowledge he's likely to either retire or play elsewhere next year in light of the direction the MC have taken.

Rocket Science
13-08-2016, 04:21 PM
What about Adams taking the big boys / Roberts' spot and Hamling the mobile second tall?

Concur with this. Roberts' job's a difficult and unenviable one but he's still too often and too easily bested in contests due to lack of strength, urgency and awareness.

We need Adams back and cherry ripe.

lemmon
13-08-2016, 05:47 PM
I've got no idea how we go about managing players over the next 3 weeks. Ideally you'd like to leave players home from Perth but it means no footy for two weeks heading into the finals

jeemak
14-08-2016, 01:27 AM
The Sunday 1640 slot worries me. It's a bastard of a time to have to get up for against a really shit team and one in which I can see a lapse happening within.

1eyedog
14-08-2016, 09:38 AM
The Sunday 1640 slot worries me. It's a bastard of a time to have to get up for against a really shit team and one in which I can see a lapse happening within.

The fact it is Pav's farewell game the following week worries me far more than this weekends timeslot. Lose and we are likely to be back at the same venue two weeks later. Major bummer.

comrade
14-08-2016, 09:41 AM
If a home final is up for grabs, I'd imagine we'll be raring to go.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2016, 10:24 AM
In: Stevens, McLean, Minson
Out: Smith, Stringer, Webb

Smith to go back to the VFL for a few weeks, spend some time in the middle but I'd also like for us to persist with him forward when he's resting if that's where he'll play the majority of his AFL minutes. Stevens as his replacement.

Stringer is hampered. If he can benefit from 3 weeks without contact on his shoulder, then let's do that. McLean is hopefully ready to return - another smart user who should improve our efficiency.

Webb unlucky, I'd like to see us go with a Minson, Roughead and Boyd combination for talls. If we play WCE in the finals it could be the combination to go to, so we have some additional tall defender coverage with Roughie able to swing back as well as being able to spend some time deep forward as a marking target (if only he was a more reliable set shot).

Rocco Jones
14-08-2016, 10:34 AM
The 'Do we rest Stringer?' question is an interesting one.

Stringer's problems seem to come from a combination of physical and psychological issues with his shoulder.

How much will resting him physically help his shoulder? How much will it actually reduce his physical pain? If it is minimal and he really needs long term recovery/minor surgery, then resting him could actually harm the situation as he gets more time to think/less time to get out there to confront confidence issues.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Also, we are playing Freo with a full 7 day break after playing the easiest side in the league.

If we can't Freo, we simply do not deserve to be anywhere near the finals, let alone a home final.

GVGjr
14-08-2016, 11:23 AM
The 'Do we rest Stringer?' question is an interesting one.

Stringer's problems seem to come from a combination of physical and psychological issues with his shoulder.

How much will resting him physically help his shoulder? How much will it actually reduce his physical pain? If it is minimal and he really needs long term recovery/minor surgery, then resting him could actually harm the situation as he gets more time to think/less time to get out there to confront confidence issues.

I wouldn't rest him but would consider a change of duties.
- Play him the back line.
- Have him run with Goddard
- Play him on a wing

He needs to be playing not resting so he can regain some touch.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2016, 03:42 PM
In- McLean
Out- Webb

I would also add Minson for Clay Smith for team balance but can't see that happening.

kruder
14-08-2016, 07:39 PM
I would like to see McLean in for Smith who could probably do with a rest.
I think we should take Koby over to Western Australia the following week.

I agree about Stevens we are one experienced inside mid short atm. There must be a chance that both Libba and Mcrae might not be available for week one of the finals hence Stevens has to play in that scenario.

Bullies
14-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Agree. Freo are a rabble with so many players wanting out and not happy with Lyon.
Also, we are playing Freo with a full 7 day break after playing the easiest side in the league.

If we can't Freo, we simply do not deserve to be anywhere near the finals, let alone a home final.

bornadog
16-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Press Conference today:

* Dale Morris likely to play against Freo next round. Will miss Sunday.

* On Hurley, everyone should be a bit mindful of Essendon's situation. I won't be saying anything more publicly out of respect to the Dons.

* Everyone is linked to us at the moment, so out of respect to our group and other Club's I'd rather not comment.

* We've asked Jake Stringer to play few different roles this year. Some have worked and some haven't. Whatever he needs to work on is being addressed by Jake and our coaches. We're confident he'll find good form soon.

* His shoulder isn't an excuse, and his opening goals and his last 10 mins were really valuable. He just needs to fill in the gaps.

* The players have managed the short turnaround into Friday well. This break is a good opp to freshen up and get ready for the Bombers.

* The young boys in the middle like Webby, Dunks and Clay are really enjoying it and embracing the challenge together.

* Macrae is running already and Libba is out of the CAM boot. We're optimistic that both will play before the end of the year.

* Adam Cooney has had a great career, 250 games is a great achievement. We'll acknowledge him appropriately post game

* With Marcus Adams we've just got to be sure. We'll see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to official Bulldogs twitter.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-08-2016, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't rest him but would consider a change of duties.
- Play him the back line.
- Have him run with Goddard
- Play him on a wing

He needs to be playing not resting so he can regain some touch.

I would prefer to see Stringer left permanently closer to goal, where he can be dangerous and where he is best suited. I am not convinced that he relishes playing in a defensive role back of midfield. His form prior to his shoulder injury was only fair.
We need our best forwards such as Stringer and Dickson playing as more dedicated forwards. With Tom Boyd struggling and without Libba and Wallis who could kick goals, our forward line at the moment is no where near good enough.

LostDoggy
16-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Press Conference today:

* Dale Morris likely to play against Freo next round. Will miss Sunday.

* On Hurley, everyone should be a bit mindful of Essendon's situation. I won't be saying anything more publicly out of respect to the Dons.

* Everyone is linked to us at the moment, so out of respect to our group and other Club's I'd rather not comment.

* We've asked Jake Stringer to play few different roles this year. Some have worked and some haven't. Whatever he needs to work on is being addressed by Jake and our coaches. We're confident he'll find good form soon.

* His shoulder isn't an excuse, and his opening goals and his last 10 mins were really valuable. He just needs to fill in the gaps.

* The players have managed the short turnaround into Friday well. This break is a good opp to freshen up and get ready for the Bombers.

* The young boys in the middle like Webby, Dunks and Clay are really enjoying it and embracing the challenge together.

* Macrae is running already and Libba is out of the CAM boot. We're optimistic that both will play before the end of the year.

* Adam Cooney has had a great career, 250 games is a great achievement. We'll acknowledge him appropriately post game

* With Marcus Adams we've just got to be sure. We'll see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to official Bulldogs twitter.

Will be a tough call with Morris. Given back related hamstring twinges, a R23 plane trip to Perth and back is surely not ideal - if not for the week off following, I'd say he'd be highly unlikely.

bornadog
16-08-2016, 05:48 PM
I would prefer to see Stringer left permanently closer to goal, where he can be dangerous and where he is best suited. I am not convinced that he relishes playing in a defensive role back of midfield. His form prior to his shoulder injury was only fair.
We need our best forwards such as Stringer and Dickson playing as more dedicated forwards. With Tom Boyd struggling and without Libba and Wallis who could kick goals, our forward line at the moment is no where near good enough.

The coach in his presser has said we have tried a number of different things with Jake this year. Like you I think he has to be kicking goals and not fluffing around up the ground. I like him around the 50 metre arch where he can snap goals.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I think with Stringer a big part of getting him up the ground is about getting him into the game. He can go really quite up forward.

I like the balance. He can be a bit like Cyril up the ground (doesn't have his intensity) where he only needs it a 12-15 times to make a big impact.

LostDoggy
17-08-2016, 10:51 AM
I stopped by training last night for a quick look and Stringer was moving really well and wasn't favouring his shoulder at all.

Expecting a big game from Jake.

always right
17-08-2016, 06:37 PM
I hate seeing him close to goal, particularly when he refuses to fly for marks or lead at the ball carrier. I've said it before but he is at his most dangerous when in space so let him play high forward where he can burn off opponents and kick goals from distance.

Axe Man
18-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Roarke Smith has been elevated from the Rookie list - possible inclusion this week?

Rookie Roarke elevated (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-08-18/rookie-roarke-elevated)

The Western Bulldogs have elevated defender Roarke Smith onto the Club’s primary list as the mid-season rookie upgrade under AFL guidelines.

Smith will be eligible to play for the remainder of the season, regardless of how many players are on the Club’s senior list.

The 19-year-old Smith was recruited to the Kennel with pick five overall in the 2014 NAB AFL Rookie Draft from the Calder Cannons and made his AFL debut against the West Coast Eagles in round 21 last season.

He injured his knee in the final game of the VFL home and away season in 2015 before returning to the VFL side in round 13 this year.

“He’s done everything right, Roarkey,” assistant coach Steven King said on Thursday.

“His rehab has gone to plan and it’s been a credit to him the way he’s been able to dedicate himself to getting his body back before the season’s finished.

“It’s great reward for what he’s done at VFL level and the volume of work he’s put in over the last year.”

Smith has averaged 12 disposals, four marks and three tackles across half back this season for Footscray.

G-Mo77
18-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Looks likely to play. Good on him!

GVGjr
18-08-2016, 07:25 PM
4 ins including Minson, Stevens, McLean and Roarke Smith. Suckling out

azabob
18-08-2016, 07:35 PM
4 ins including Minson, Stevens, McLean and Roarke Smith. Suckling out

Suckling injured again - Doesn't appear likely he will be able to shake the Achilles injury before finals. He has his moments but his foot skills on the MCG would be a massive advantage.

Extended Bench is: Stringer, Hrovat, Minson, McLean, Webb, Stevens, Roarke Smith.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Stringer on the bench... Just omit him tonight.

comrade
18-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Stringer on the bench... Just omit him tonight.

He'll play. Smells like some tough love.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 08:16 PM
He'll play. Smells like some tough love.

I saw a footy show advert, is Stringer on tonight? If so, a little embarrassing.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2016, 08:47 PM
I saw a footy show advert, is Stringer on tonight? If so, a little embarrassing.

My partner works on the footy show. He is no longer on.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2016, 08:49 PM

I know Bevo is on Marngrook. Still waiting for him to come on

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 08:55 PM
My partner works on the footy show. He is no longer on.

Your partner. So how is Sam Newman? :D

Rocco Jones
18-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Your partner. So how is Sam Newman? :D

I wrote girlfriend but felt too old to say that at 36. De facto? It's hard being an agnostic who isn't into marriage.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2016, 09:28 PM
I wrote girlfriend but felt too old to say that at 36. De facto? It's hard being an agnostic who isn't into marriage.

Significant other who gets half. But to topic, any reason Jake has cancelled? Peter Gordon cancelling radio today too. Curious.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Made way for Cooney

kruder
18-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Minson has to play this week I want to see Boyd and Stringer deep and lets see what they can do. I think its the structure we have to go into the finals with and happy for Minson to play until Campbell knocks on the door.

Stevens also plays for mine, we are one mature inside mid short ATM and with Libba and Macrae doubtful for finals time for him to step up.

In Minson Stevens
Out Webb Suckling.

The Underdog
18-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Minson has to play this week I want to see Boyd and Stringer deep and lets see what they can do. I think its the structure we have to go into the finals with and happy for Minson to play until Campbell knocks on the door.

Stevens also plays for mine, we are one mature inside mid short ATM and with Libba and Macrae doubtful for finals time for him to step up.

In Minson Stevens
Out Webb Suckling.

Where does Roughead go?

bornadog
18-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Where does Roughead go?

second ruck

G-Mo77
18-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Made way for Cooney

They've always been tight and there is no way Jake will miss this game. Put that to bed now.

The Underdog
18-08-2016, 10:44 PM
second ruck

If Boyd and Stringer are "deep" as per that scenario, is Roughy playing up the ground as a lead up high forward and when he goes into the ruck does Minson just go to the bench? Minno certainly can't play that role. Admittedly Roughy is the best grab of the 3 at the moment but I'm still not convinced of the mechanics of this.

Hotdog60
18-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Minno may struggle to take the mark but does he get out marked in the contest?
I think our small forwards can feed off him.

bornadog
18-08-2016, 10:52 PM
If Boyd and Stringer are "deep" as per that scenario, is Roughy playing up the ground as a lead up high forward and when he goes into the ruck does Minson just go to the bench? Minno certainly can't play that role. Admittedly Roughy is the best grab of the 3 at the moment but I'm still not convinced of the mechanics of this.

Perhaps Roughy picks up their resting ruck.

kruder
19-08-2016, 12:19 PM

There is the bench? Also no harm in having Roughead and Boyd forward with Stringer pushing up and coming back too their feet?

Having Boyd playing second ruck isn't working for the forward line for mine. How would you go about keeping Boyd in the forward line for the majority? Campbell is a much better foil than Minson and Roughead forward for mine but we have to wait a few weeks.

kruder
19-08-2016, 12:23 PM
There is the bench? Also no harm in having Roughead and Boyd forward with Stringer pushing up and coming back too their feet?

Having Boyd playing second ruck isn't working for the forward line for mine. How would you go about keeping Boyd in the forward line for the majority? Campbell is a much better foil than Minson and Roughead forward for mine but we have to wait a few weeks.

Its more about Boyd development than anything, Essendon and Fremantle gives him a good opportunity to build confidence and hit the scoreboard.

G-Mo77
19-08-2016, 02:15 PM
We've got to have some idea in mind who is lining up in Round 1 of the finals so I'd go as close to that 22 as we possibly can.

Stringer, Hrovat, McLean, Stevens/Smith would be my bench.

Ozza
19-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Its more about Boyd development than anything, Essendon and Fremantle gives him a good opportunity to build confidence and hit the scoreboard.

Yep - a big couple of weeks for Boyd. He really needs to perform and get his confidence up, otherwise I think its a lot harder to a make a case for him in the finals.

The Pie Man
19-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Word on the tweet (Stevo & Landsberger) is that Stringer will be dropped...eek

Axe Man
19-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Word on the tweet (Stevo & Landsberger) is that Stringer will be dropped...eek

That would be totally stupid in my opinion (assuming it's purely form related - if he's not doing what's asked of him then fair enough). We are playing the bottom side, it's the perfect opportunity for him to regain some confidence and get his swagger back. Getting everyone up and about for finals should be the only aim now, it's too late to be sending messages.

The Pie Man
19-08-2016, 04:41 PM
That would be totally stupid in my opinion (assuming it's purely form related - if he's not doing what's asked of him then fair enough). We are playing the bottom side, it's the perfect opportunity for him to regain some confidence and get his swagger back. Getting everyone up and about for finals should be the only aim now, it's too late to be sending messages.

Let's wait and see, but yes I tend to agree with you - today's Essendon under the roof looked a good day to regain some form.

He's close to Coons as well - I'm not saying that should necessarily have a bearing on selection....just that I hope we know what we're doing (should it be true)

bornadog
19-08-2016, 04:45 PM

On Marngrook, Bevo spoke about getting him back in form in the last two games. I guess I didn't think it would be in the VFL.

So looking like.

Out: Suckling and Stringer
In: Roarke Smith and McLean

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Can't imagine Jake would be happy missing Cooney's final game..

LostDoggy
19-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Yeah Jake go play in the VFL on sunday in the wet on some dung heap oval and regain some touch.

He won't like missing Cooneys farewell game either. Clubs will come for him.

comrade
19-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Yeah Jake go play in the VFL on sunday in the wet on some dung heap oval and regain some touch.

If that was enough for him to be tempted, I'd be pretty disappointed. He's been shite for weeks - before and after the injury - and any other player would've been dropped without question.

He's not bigger than the team and everyone is on notice. Like the decision.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 04:55 PM
If that was enough for him to be tempted, I'd be pretty disappointed. He's been shite for weeks - before and after the injury - and any other player would've been dropped without question.

I tend to agree, by and large. By the sounds of it they've been pulling different levers with him to get him back to his best. Maybe this was the last lever to pull which hopefully also takes some strain off the dodgy shoulder and winds him up for a big last game against Freo which is a must win game for a home final potentially. If they were of this mindset on Thursday, they should've just done it then.

SlimPickens
19-08-2016, 05:15 PM

So you're happy for a player to keep getting a game when form doesn't warrant it? No one player is bigger than the team and if Jake isn't complying to what the coaches expect of him, then he should be dropped. That's what strong clubs do and what you need to be prepared to do to become successful.

azabob
19-08-2016, 05:20 PM
MaCrae and Crameri both were dropped last year and look how they both responded.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2016, 05:27 PM

Yes the team is bigger than the individual. Jack Macrae was dropped. Crammers was dropped. They came out of it as better players.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 05:34 PM
And Higgins, Tutt & Jones sulked and quit. How Jake responds will say a lot about his professional drive and competitive spirit. I expect a strong positive response.

bornadog
19-08-2016, 06:01 PM
on marngrook, bevo spoke about getting him back in form in the last two games. I guess i didn't think it would be in the vfl.

So looking like.

Out: Suckling and stringer
in: Roarke smith and mclean

final teams

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Why drop Jake now? It should have been done a long time ago.

I think it's the worst possible week to drop him given his ties with Cooney. The "deal with it" approach is fine, but I'd hate to see Jake look elsewhere because we really put him offside with this decision.

Yes, to us, it's not a big deal but I think this game actually meant something to Stringer.

Not good timing IMO. The "statement" should have been made long before this, or even next week.

G-Mo77
19-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Bloody ludicrous.

kruder
19-08-2016, 06:24 PM
No issues with Stringer. Being only two weeks from finals it's becomes a real possibility that he could miss week one. Perfect timing IMO the ball is in his court. Bevo again misses an opperunity to improve the forward line. A Minson Jamar match up would have been one for the ages...

comrade
19-08-2016, 06:29 PM

I think it's the worst possible week to drop him given his ties with Cooney. The "deal with it" approach is fine, but I'd hate to see Jake look elsewhere because we really put him offside with this decision.

Yes, to us, it's not a big deal but I think this game actually meant something to Stringer.

Not good timing IMO. The "statement" should have been made long before this, or even next week.

Would like to think that every game he plays for our club has meaning, but given his performances in the past 2 months, that's debatable.

As you said, a kick up the arse was required and I have no problems with it being Cooney's farewell, which ironically is another player that coasted and was given too many credits in the bank. Good to see we're not making the same mistake with Stringer.

chef
19-08-2016, 06:32 PM
2 months to late.

Remi Moses
19-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Didn't Macrae and Crameri get dropped last season?
Both responded well .
Some of Jake's efforts were ordinary last week , as they have been for a while .

Remi Moses
19-08-2016, 06:39 PM

What's his ties with Cooney got anything to do with?
A game of footy to be won

Jeanette54
19-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Is this the end for Big Will, and am I alone in hoping it isn't ?

kruder
19-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know the VFL rules for finals in regards too eligibility? I'm guessing Adams and Macrae who haven't played in the VFL this year would benefit from playing the first VFL final during the week off if ready?

Bulldog4life
19-08-2016, 07:10 PM
What's his ties with Cooney got anything to do with?
A game of footy to be won

Agree 100%. I admire Bevo's tough love when he thinks it is necessary. Club comes first.

Greystache
19-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Long overdue but at least it's come.

Stringer should've been dropped after the first North game, instead we reinforced poor behaviour and it's continued for most of the season. This is a last minute kick up the arse when it should've been stamping out bad habits when they arose. Hopefully we see a far more disciplined and diligent player when he returns.

Axe Man
19-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know the VFL rules for finals in regards too eligibility? I'm guessing Adams and Macrae who haven't played in the VFL this year would benefit from playing the first VFL final during the week off if ready?

I think this is the relevant rule:

A Player who has played in an AFL Home and Away Match after 1 July in the relevant season will be ineligible to play in VFL Senior Grade or Development League Finals Series Matches unless that Player has played in a combined total of at least six (6) Senior Grade or Development League Home and Away Matches in the same season.

So neither Adams or Macrae (or Libba) would qualify (Adams last game was on 2nd July!). Campbell would qualify if he doesn't play next week against Freo as his last game was pre 1st July.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Stringer should've been dropped after the first North game, instead we reinforced poor behaviour and it's continued for most of the season. This is a last minute kick up the arse when it should've been stamping out bad habits when they arose. Hopefully we see a far more disciplined and diligent player when he returns.

I agree that it should have come earlier but when you look at our current forward line you start to wonder where the goals are going to come from. Both Dickson and Tom Boyd have struggled, Clay Smith is fortunate to be selected and Cordy is a makeshift forward.i am not sure given the players currently missing that we can afford to leave Stringer out.

Axe Man
19-08-2016, 07:27 PM
I agree that it should have come earlier but when you look at our current forward line you start to wonder where the goals are going to come from. Both Dickson and Tom Boyd have struggled, Clay Smith is fortunate to be selected and Cordy is a makeshift forward.i am not sure given the players currently missing that we can afford to leave Stringer out.

Bont can just win the centre clearance, take a bounce, kick it high and deep, run down and mark it himself?;)

ratsmac
19-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Wow just wow! To drop him now is just weird. He's been nursing that shoulder and we risked playing him when clearly he's not right. Then he is playing like he's avoiding any body contact (clearly sore) and we drop him to the VFL as a consequence. This is baffling. If he is to be dropped on form he should of been dropped before he even done his shoulder. I just hope he doesn't get his nose out of place and starts to see what offers come in.

Wrong timing to take this action with Jake IMO.

Ozza
19-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Hate the decision, hate the timing.
Why make him play vfl? Just makes a spectacle of him when he could benefit from giving the shoulder a rest.
Essendon will be rapt.

always right
19-08-2016, 08:05 PM
And if he comes back in the coming weeks all guns blazing......we will all declare Bevo a genius....again.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2016, 08:25 PM

I don't know why it has to be seen as a kick up the arse. If he has a sore shoulder or an attitude or mental issue it gives him some space to reflect on it. It's a results based industry, Jake knows that. He wants to be better, we want him to be better. It's just he is not playing well and needs a chance to get it together.

SlimPickens
19-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Hate the decision, hate the timing.
Why make him play vfl? Just makes a spectacle of him when he could benefit from giving the shoulder a rest.
Essendon will be rapt.

Surprised by this opinion Ozza. Jake has been poor for a long time, if anything it's overdue.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2016, 08:30 PM
This is just the bell shaped curve for Jake. The necessary adjustment dip then moving toward upward performance. :)

FrediKanoute
19-08-2016, 08:53 PM
The Package has been dropped........

Well it had to happen. His output has been poor. I see this as less of a kick up the butt and more of a statement by Bevo and he match committee that all people are equal. He will bounce back - he will know that he hasn't been performing.

Eastdog
19-08-2016, 10:23 PM
The Package has been dropped........

Well it had to happen. His output has been poor. I see this as less of a kick up the butt and more of a statement by Bevo and he match committee that all people are equal. He will bounce back - he will know that he hasn't been performing.

That's the way I see it. He has been disappointing this season so something had to give. We need more from him. We need to improve how we lead up in the forward line compared to what it is now.

G-Mo77
19-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Wow just wow! To drop him now is just weird. He's been nursing that shoulder and we risked playing him when clearly he's not right. Then he is playing like he's avoiding any body contact (clearly sore) and we drop him to the VFL as a consequence. This is baffling. If he is to be dropped on form he should of been dropped before he even done his shoulder. I just hope he doesn't get his nose out of place and starts to see what offers come in.

Wrong timing to take this action with Jake IMO.

Completely and wholeheartedly agree with this ratsmac. Really disappointed with this decision by the MC. I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really mater, we'll win this with our VFL squad playing but the timing of seems poor for reasons ratsmac has made.

Out of form? There would be no better way to find your way back against this mob.

comrade
19-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Completely and wholeheartedly agree with this ratsmac. Really disappointed with this decision by the MC. I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really mater, we'll win this with our VFL squad playing but the timing of seems poor for reasons ratsmac has made.

Out of form? There would be no better way to find your way back against this mob.

It's not form. It's his total lack of work rate.

Some cheapies against the Bombers would only be papering over the cracks. Let's hope this is a wake up call that compels him to work as hard as his teammates.

LostDoggy
19-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Stringer still named as an Emrg. though and wouldn't be suprised to still see him play against the Bummers.
In-Stringer

Out-C.Smith

Ozza
20-08-2016, 01:04 AM
Surprised by this opinion Ozza. Jake has been poor for a long time, if anything it's overdue.

Slim, he is our leading goal kicker, 3rd for score involvements, and top 8 or so for most other important measures.
He is battling with his shoulder and that killing his form- but is still a match winner, still draws a top defender- and if Bevo wanted to drag him over the coals- then do it more than 2 weeks out from finals when we have some time to get some continuity before finals.
We have 14 unavailable players and he is dropping one of our most talented available forwards - in a team that can't score.

If we can continue to find a spot for Tom Boyd with zero output outside of one performance for the year - then surely you don't make s controversy of the bloke who will finish with 40+ goals and has found something to lift us in all close games.

jeemak
20-08-2016, 01:46 AM
Didn't Macrae and Crameri get dropped last season?
Both responded well .
Some of Jake's efforts were ordinary last week , as they have been for a while .

Yes, both were dropped when they needed to be dropped.

Jake Stringer takes the piss from time to time when in form. He takes the piss hard when he's out of form like nobody I've ever seen.

I have continually suggested he doesn't do the simple things as they need to be done, but he refuses to do them week after week and I get angrier and angrier!

If this is the cause of him to assess his options elsewhere then so be it. Someone with that type of constitution isn't for us. If on the other hand he takes his omission as it's intended and actually improves his attitude and output of effort then great. He is an immensely valuable player, but the same rules that apply to champions of the game apply to Jake and he needs to learn that.

Hotdog60
20-08-2016, 08:38 AM
If he's been reading the press then he'll know why. If we had put ourselves in a better ladder position and had someone to cover I think he may have been rested longer after the shoulder.
We recruited with the no DH rule I think he will take it on the chin and work to get back for the finals.

SlimPickens
20-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Slim, he is our leading goal kicker, 3rd for score involvements, and top 8 or so for most other important measures.
He is battling with his shoulder and that killing his form- but is still a match winner, still draws a top defender- and if Bevo wanted to drag him over the coals- then do it more than 2 weeks out from finals when we have some time to get some continuity before finals.
We have 14 unavailable players and he is dropping one of our most talented available forwards - in a team that can't score.

If we can continue to find a spot for Tom Boyd with zero output outside of one performance for the year - then surely you don't make s controversy of the bloke who will finish with 40+ goals and has found something to lift us in all close games.

Jake has been playing all year yeah? And we still haven't been able to score. I get what you're saying, but no player should be immune to team expectations. If Jake isn't performing to this then he should be dropped.

LostDoggy
20-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Great effort by Roarke Smith to get back into the senior team within 12 months of doing his knee. Seems to have a heap of potential, really looking forward to seeing what he can bring. Was thrown to the wolves 12 months ago in Perth, but really gets his chance at AFL level here.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-08-2016, 12:49 PM
He has a great leap like Wood

kruder
20-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I think this is the relevant rule:

So neither Adams or Macrae (or Libba) would qualify (Adams last game was on 2nd July!). Campbell would qualify if he doesn't play next week against Freo as his last game was pre 1st July.

Interesting indeed. We might field the youngest team in AFL history in our first final.

Before I Die
20-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Interesting indeed. We might field the youngest team in AFL history in our first final.

Isn't this rule only applicable if the senior side is not playing the same week. Rioli played in vfl grand final without playing any vfl during the year.

Oops, we are talking about the bye week aren't we, so it may in fact apply. Something else the afl hierarchy probably hadn't considered.

SlimPickens
20-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Isn't this rule only applicable if the senior side is not playing the same week. Rioli played in vfl grand final without playing any vfl during the year.

Oops, we are talking about the bye week aren't we, so it may in fact apply. Something else the afl hierarchy probably hadn't considered.

My understanding is it doesn't matter that the afl have a bye round. Meaning if fit Macrae, Libba etc could play in the vfl finals week one

Rocco Jones
20-08-2016, 06:05 PM

I am gonna guess/hope for...
Anyone who either 1- qualifies for VFL finals by VFL games played or 2- did not play Round 23= can play VFL finals.

Bye= skipping SF due to winning QF.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2016, 06:07 PM
That being said, I do not believe Adams nor Macrae will be ready by then.

My guess = Macrae ready to play first week of finals and Adams it's all about how foot feels, I am thinking at best 1st week of finals.

ledge
20-08-2016, 06:25 PM
I hope we don't blow this game against the bombers , they won last week and Cooney/ Stokes playing their last game.

Rocco Jones
20-08-2016, 07:06 PM
I hope we don't blow this game against the bombers , they won last week and Cooney/ Stokes playing their last game.

I don't care if they all have $1m incentive to win the match, if we can't beat them, we don't deserve to be anywhere near the finals.

On Cooney/Stokes. The average amount of games their team mates have played with them would be like 5 games. Would not imagine too many deep options.

Note- take away the billion games Kelly and Stokes played together. I mean for Essendon!

bulldogtragic
20-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Delete

azabob
20-08-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't care if they all have $1m incentive to win the match, if we can't beat them, we don't deserve to be anywhere near the finals.

On Cooney/Stokes. The average amount of games their team mates have played with them would be like 5 games. Would not imagine too many deep options.

Note- take away the billion games Kelly and Stokes played together. I mean for Essendon!

What about the amount of games Cooney amd Matt Boyd played together? Does that count?