PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 23 2016 vs Fremantle

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 03:51 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 23 2016 match against Fremantle at Domain Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
21-08-2016, 07:32 PM
There always appears to be some vacancies in our side.

Who makes the trip to Fremantle and who makes way?

Please try and advise some of your reasoning's behind your changes

comrade
21-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Clay Smith and Dunkley just don't offer enough to compensate for the constant ball butchering.

More class is required and Williams has it in spades. Roberts is just too much of a liability, so Cordy can go back into defence.

OUT: Smith, Dunkley, Wood, Roberts
IN: Williams, Stringer, Morris, Campbell

Go_Dogs
21-08-2016, 08:31 PM
On the basis Wood misses, I'm thinking similar to you comrade.

Williams would be a good inclusion for us, as would Campbell. Both played some good minutes earlier in the year and help us address a few issues.

Not sure on Moz given he's missed a few now, hard to see him making the flight to Perth.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Clay Smith and Dunkley just don't offer enough to compensate for the constant ball butchering.

More class is required and Williams has it in spades. Roberts is just too much of a liability, so Cordy can go back into defence.

OUT: Smith, Dunkley, Wood, Roberts
IN: Williams, Stringer, Morris, Campbell

Three of those four ins as a minimum. Cordy is a natural defender, and a potentially bloody good one, it's time to send him to the men's club and reunite Camhead. Stringer has hopefully got the message. Hopefully Morris & Suckling are ready to come back.

Webby
21-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Which one of you Woofers killed a Chinaman whilst standing under a ladder, breaking a mirror???

It's your fault! Bloody hell! If it wasn't enough, our captain and best & fairest..! Gimme a break, FFS!!!!

KT31
21-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Which one of you Woofers killed a Chinaman whilst standing under a ladder, breaking a mirror???

It's your fault! Bloody hell! If it wasn't enough, our captain and best & fairest..! Gimme a break, FFS!!!!

Also ran over a black cat, apparently it was some bloke driving a golf buggy.

westbulldog
21-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Out : Roughhead, Wood
In : Campbell or Minson, Morris or Suckling

The Underdog
21-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Out : Roughhead, Wood
In : Campbell or Minson, Morris or Suckling

Are you resting Roughy?

westbulldog
21-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Are you resting Roughy?

yes, I think it would freshen him up before the finals.

The Underdog
21-08-2016, 09:01 PM

Fair call.
I'd like to see Morris, Suckling and Macrae play if they're ready. Think Clay and Dunkley are probably first out. Wood obviously won't play.

LostDoggy
21-08-2016, 09:02 PM

That's a fair call. Has carried a huge load and looked in need of a spell today. Maybe they'd prefer to give him a game with TC before finals though, given the week off before finals.

Tricky team to call next week given the week off then finals. I'd love to see Williams get a go as he could really add something.

I'll go Williams, Campbell in, Wood, Roberts out.

hujsh
21-08-2016, 09:31 PM

There is a bye right after the game. Seems excessive

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-08-2016, 09:56 PM
We have been beaten soundly in the ruck in the past two games against moderate opposition. Campbell needs to return given the fact that both he and Roughead have been our best ruck combination this year. Wood is a huge loss which to some degree is helped by the return of Morris. Without Wood Liberatore and Macrae we need the return of Stringer's class with his dropping hopefully seeing him refreshed for a return. I can hear the calls for Fletcher Roberts going out but having stuck with him all year believe he should be retained. Getting senior games into Hrovat Dunkley Cordy and Webb augers well for the future.
In. Morris Stringer and Campbell
Out. Wood Clay Smith and Roarke Smith who can be considered unlucky in what was a promising debut.

westbulldog
21-08-2016, 10:04 PM

even better, I think he has been struggling a bit lately.

Ozza
21-08-2016, 10:06 PM
In: Morris, Stringer, Minson, Stevens
Out: Wood, C.Smith, Roberts, Webb

Webb is unlucky - but we are desperate for more midfield/stoppage grunt and Stevens should play when Wally, Libba, Macrae are all out.

If Bailey Williams is AFL ready - then he replaces R.Smith.

comrade
21-08-2016, 10:18 PM
In: Morris, Stringer, Minson, Stevens
Out: Wood, C.Smith, Roberts, Webb

Webb is unlucky - but we are desperate for more midfield/stoppage grunt and Stevens should play when Wally, Libba, Macrae are all out.

If Bailey Williams is AFL ready - then he replaces R.Smith.

A midfield of Stevens, Dunkley, Clay Smith and Hunter is terrifying for all the wrong reasons.

If I was a forward, I wouldn't bother leading.

I'd be keeping Webb in and replacing Clay Smith with Stevens if we really wanted to insert Koby into the team.

Ozza
21-08-2016, 10:24 PM
A midfield of Stevens, Dunkley, Clay Smith and Hunter is terrifying for all the wrong reasons.

If I was a forward, I wouldn't bother leading.

I'd be keeping Webb in and replacing Clay Smith with Stevens if we really wanted to insert Koby into the team.

I've already got Clay Smith as an out.

Regardless of who comes in - I'd have Smith out. Going really ordinary since he got concussed. Shouldn't have played last week, and very ordinary tonight.

MrMahatma
21-08-2016, 10:24 PM

Agree. Surely we play as close to our best (fit) 22 as possible?

comrade
21-08-2016, 10:27 PM
I've already got Clay Smith as an out.

Regardless of who comes in - I'd have Smith out. Going really ordinary since he got concussed. Shouldn't have played last week, and very ordinary tonight.

Sorry, missed that.

Dunkley is next on my chopping block, then Webb. Just can't cop blokes who miss easy targets, especially in low intensity games against bad opposition. Finals footy will break Dunkley and Clay's kicking down.

Ozza
21-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Sorry, missed that.

Dunkley is next on my chopping block, then Webb. Just can't cop blokes who miss easy targets, especially in low intensity games against bad opposition. Finals footy will break Dunkley and Clay's kicking down.

Reckon Dunkley is going ok. Nothing great tonight, but with his strength overhead he wins some 50/50 balls for us and is a fairly genuine forward target and gets to good spots.

I'm predicting he is one that is suited to/would stand up in - a final.

Rocco Jones
21-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Agree with the Clay Smith and Dunkley murdering of the ball calls. Webb getting it 15 times = them getting it 20 + and that's being nice to them. Dunkley will become an absolute beast in time and will more than compensate for his kicking but whilst they are getting it 15 times and murdering the ball, we gotta look elsewhere.

bornadog
22-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Sorry, missed that.

Out of 14 disposals, both Webb and Dunkley had 11 effective. I think Dunkley made one glaring bad pass.

comrade
22-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Out of 14 disposals, both Webb and Dunkley had 11 effective. I think Dunkley made one glaring bad pass.

Webb is a superior user of the ball. No stats will ever convince me otherwise.

bornadog
22-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Bevo says we will pick the best team to go to Freo this week. I guess with the weeks break, no need to rest players.

jeemak
22-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Bevo says we will pick the best team to go to Freo this week. I guess with the weeks break, no need to rest players.

I think that's acknowledgement of the need to win at all costs, more than anything else. If we were playing finals the following week I suspect we'd be taking our best team anyway.

That's not to say a 50-50 player would be risked.

Mofra
22-08-2016, 10:56 AM
We also have a week off after the last round though - two weeks off he might lose touch.

Sedat
22-08-2016, 11:05 AM
I agree with what you're saying to an extent, but it could also be argued that finals footy will have a far more adverse effect on those players with skill who need space (Williams probably fits into this category at this early stage of his career), and that the inside grunt offered by the likes of Dunkley and Smith might be more beneficial in the white-hot intensity of finals footy. I'm actually a little torn on this one - there are sound arguments for and against both options.

Looks like we are reprising the role left vacant by Freo of being the finals ugly ducklings this year - we've made a very good habit of winning ugly all season. I can't see us getting blown away by any of the other top 8 contenders next month regardless of our loss of quality personnel.

comrade
22-08-2016, 11:08 AM
I agree with what you're saying to an extent, but it could also be argued that finals footy will have a far more adverse effect on those players with skill who need space (Williams probably fits into this category at this early stage of his career), and that the inside grunt offered by the likes of Dunkley and Smith might be more beneficial in the white-hot intensity of finals footy. I'm actually a little torn on this one - there are sound arguments for and against both options.

Looks like we are reprising the role left vacant by Freo of being the finals ugly ducklings this year - we've made a very good habit of winning ugly all season. I can't see us getting blown away by any of the other top 8 contenders next month regardless of our loss of quality personnel.

Waving a magic wand and getting Macrae and Libba back would solve everything :(

You make a fair point but think we can only afford to take one of Dunk or Clay in.

SlimPickens
22-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Out: Wood, Dunkley

In: Morris, Stringer

Just quietly, yesterday wasn't Roarke's debut!!!

jeemak
22-08-2016, 11:46 AM

I'm torn on it as well. Skillful players may only get a handful of opportunities to execute in open space under finals pressure, but doing so well with limited opportunities can make a big difference (2009 preliminary final springs to mind). The key is having skilled players who aren't squibs!

Given that we don't really have any squibs on our list, I'm probably aligned with Comrade and think that we're a little exposed with either having too many poor or obviously one-sided ball users in the team.

LostDoggy
22-08-2016, 04:01 PM
A lot of people are critical of the week off before the finals, but I am thankful for it. If we had a final next week, the team we'd be taking to Freo for a 4.40 Sunday game would be a joke. A lot of players would need to be rested, probably more than we could find replacements for.

bornadog
22-08-2016, 04:05 PM
A lot of people are critical of the week off before the finals, but I am thankful for it. If we had a final next week, the team we'd be taking to Freo for a 4.40 Sunday game would be a joke. A lot of players would need to be rested, probably more than we could find replacements for.

Because we are going to finish bottom four, the week off is almost an advantage if you keep winning. Top 4 has the advantage of having another final if you lose, however, if you win, then you don't play till the prelim, ie 2 games in 5 weeks.

LostDoggy
22-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Because we are going to finish bottom four, the week off is almost an advantage if you keep winning. Top 4 has the advantage of having another final if you lose, however, if you win, then you don't play till the prelim, ie 2 games in 5 weeks.

That'd be 3 games in 5 weeks? There are only 2 rest weeks.

G-Mo77
22-08-2016, 07:26 PM
The way we're travelling I'd like to start the finals in October.

josie
22-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Out: Wood, Dunkley and Clay (love them both however better foot skills required and Clay has looked fatigued in last few weeks)

In: Morris, Williams and one of Honeychurch or Dale (we really need a player with Honeychurch's endeavour plus Dale's better disposal).

Would love MC to bring in Will or Campbell however Campbell likely needs another VFL game based upon limited first game back time played.

If Roughy needs a rest from the ruck bring in Will and play Roughy in backline and drop Roberts (would be bad for his confidence though) or Hamling (although I think Hamling is starting to recapture his 2015 form) or if Roughy needs a 2 week rest just bring in Will.

LostDoggy
22-08-2016, 08:18 PM
The way we're travelling I'd like to start the finals in October.

Smads57
22-08-2016, 08:41 PM
i read these Match Committee reports each week agreeing with almost everyone's ins and outs and then get a big surprise come Thursday evening when the real MC comes up with their team.

I expect it will be the case again this week. if anyone needs a rest, then there's a big in Wilbur and a small in HC that are ready to fill the void, there's also a KPF in Stringer.

In - Morris and any one (or all) of Wil, HC and Stringer
Out - Wood and whoever needs a rest according to the MC (I don't suspect anyone will be putting their hands up however given what comes next...)

LostDoggy
22-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Maybe we're saving big Will for the finals. I'd love to see that. God help his opponent.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2016, 09:15 PM
In- Morris, Williams
Out- Wood, C.Smith

I also would like to see Minson for Roberts but not sure how Hamling will go against a bigger forward. We have had either Adams or Roberts be the main option against the oppositions main key forward all year.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-08-2016, 10:16 PM
I'd favour Roughead going to FB if it meant Roberts played VFL coming into a finals series. I can see this being an absolute disaster.

As for this week;

OUT:
Clay - Miles off it at the moment. Needs to find some VFL form to be even considered for an AFL final.
Wood - Injured.
Smith - Not a bad second game but not ready yet.

IN:
Campbell - Underdone or not, needs to play. In our best 22.
Stevens - Now or never for Koby.
Morris - Obvious choice if fit.

Other considerations may be Webb > Williams, Dunkley > Stringer, Honeychurch

bornadog
22-08-2016, 10:37 PM
I think Stringer will come back in after a 21 disposal game

comrade
22-08-2016, 10:41 PM
I'd favour Roughead going to FB if it meant Roberts played VFL coming into a finals series. I can see this being an absolute disaster.

As for this week;

OUT:
Clay - Miles off it at the moment. Needs to find some VFL form to be even considered for an AFL final.
Wood - Injured.
Smith - Not a bad second game but not ready yet.

IN:
Campbell - Underdone or not, needs to play. In our best 22.
Stevens - Now or never for Koby.
Morris - Obvious choice if fit.

Other considerations may be Webb > Williams, Dunkley > Stringer, Honeychurch

Chuck Stringer in for Roberts and its spot on.

Cordy to play back and allows us a super mobile key defensive unit of Cordy/Hamling/Moz with Roughy as insurance. Beauty of Roughy being relieved of the #1 ruck spot is he can be moved around where it suits, meaning Cordy can swing forward if required. Flexibility keeps us unpredictable.

Gives us a constant target with Boyd up forward, who can chop and change with the other rucks if he needs to get his hands on it.

Dunkley and Webb get to fight it out for a spot in the finals, with Macrae and Williams bearing down on them.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Out: Wood, Dunkley

In: Morris, Stringer

Just quietly, yesterday wasn't Roarke's debut!!!

Yes, I was really surprised when he was picked last year. Bevo really likes what he sees.
This time around, certainly added some bulk on the arms. I love this kid and his style of play. Good attack on the contest.

The Pie Man
23-08-2016, 12:28 PM
In : Adcock, Morris, Stringer, Minson, Stevens
Out : R Smith, Wood, Dunkley, Roughead, Webb

If Adams was anywhere near fitness he'd come in for Roberts - feels like we have little choice but to persist and hope that if we do play WCE in the elim final that he can do a similar job to last time out on Kennedy.

I think it's time to put the experience of Adcock & Stevens in the team, who both performed last week.

Roughy needs a spell - if it's Campbell, then fine, but Minson is at least match fit and still performing at VFL level. I don't believe we need two ruckmen + T Boyd.

Honeychurch could come in for C Smith, but I want to see Clay's hardness at work in a final, so he has to play this week.

Nice to see McLean have 19 touches on the weekend.

Bulldog4life
23-08-2016, 01:32 PM
In : Morris, Stringer, Minson, Stevens,
Out : C Smith, Wood, Dunkley, Roughy

Roughy went for scans yesterday so might need a rest. Big Will in as Campbell might need another match to reach full fitness.Clay unfortunately out of form. Dunks unlucky but we need our strongest team in.

azabob
23-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Pieman Adams is pretty much done and dusted for 2016.

The Pie Man
23-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Pieman Adams is pretty much done and dusted for 2016.

I know, Bevo confirmed that post match Sunday - tis a shame. Hence my call to persist with Fletch

Cyberdoggie
23-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Bevo was talking about Stringer coming back in but rather than confirm it he said something like "Whether a Declan Hamilton comes in for his first game or Jake comes back that is yet to be decided".

Could we see Hamilton get a token game?

comrade
23-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Congrats Declan. No way he'd name check him otherwise.

always right
23-08-2016, 05:32 PM
I hope we don't start experimenting in such a critical game. Pick the best side against Freo who will have the crowd up and about for Pav's last game. If we blow this game I will be suitably pissed off.

bornadog
23-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Press Conference for this weeks game

Happy Birthday Bevo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqhMCHBVUAALJps.jpg

* Woody's outcome is a positive one. We're really optimistic we can get him back for finals.

* Dale will be ready, he'll definitely play this weekend. We'll need to see how Matt Suckling goes on the track.

* Koby a chance to play

* I know everyone wants to know about Jake, but we won't know until we go through the teams on Thursday/Friday. Declan also a chance to play

* There will be emotion and sentiment for Pav's final game this weekend. We need to be ready for that.

* Caleb's been so consistent this year. He should be really pleased, he's had an outstanding year.

* Joel Hamling's last few weeks have been really important for us. Him and Fletch have formed an important partnership. Will be looking at new contract at end of season.

* The great thing is that Jake is putting his head down and doing his best to get back in the team. If not this week then for first final.

* The Bont's turn to Captain

* Crameri still training with the hope of positive outcome from Swiss Court.

Flamethrower
23-08-2016, 08:10 PM
We should take every player on our list over to Perth and select the team depending on the result of the Adelaide v Eagles game and Norf v Giants game. If we can't improve our position from 7th after those results, rest a large number of players for an elimination final. If we must win to host a final or grab 4th, play our best 22.

kruder
23-08-2016, 09:46 PM
In Minson Campbell Stevens, Morris,Stringer

Out Roughead,Wood,Clay, Dunkley, Webb

Campbell might not be ready but Minson( played fantastic last week) can at least ruck 75% so happy to see Campbell forward along side Boyd. Roughead needs a good spell but I'd still bring him back for the first final for Minson.

With the risks around Macrae and Libba we need Stevens( second quarter was really good last week) to step up as we cant go into a final with an inside midfield including including Dunkley and Webb. I'm keeping Webb because I rate his footskills and he also has the potential to go to halfback to unleash JJ!

Clay I would give a week off then play him in the first VFL final and see if his wrecking ball attack on the contest returns.

Morris is self explanatory. One of my all time favourite bulldogs players who has had an excellent year indeed.

Initially i was keen for Jake to play another game at Footscray( judging by Bevos comments id say he does) but I'm slightly concerned at having so many changes for week 1 of the finals.

Macrae, Wood, Suckling,Roughead and Jake would all would be considering for the first final hence I'm concerned at making so many changes. What are people thoughts on this? Is it a little less important because there is a bye prior to the finals hence everyone is coming in fresh anyway? Or is continuity more important?

LostDoggy
23-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Press Conference for this weeks game

Happy Birthday Bevo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqhMCHBVUAALJps.jpg

* Woody's outcome is a positive one. We're really optimistic we can get him back for finals.

* Dale will be ready, he'll definitely play this weekend. We'll need to see how Matt Suckling goes on the track.

* Koby a chance to play

* I know everyone wants to know about Jake, but we won't know until we go through the teams on Thursday/Friday. Declan also a chance to play

* There will be emotion and sentiment for Pav's final game this weekend. We need to be ready for that.

* Caleb's been so consistent this year. He should be really pleased, he's had an outstanding year.

* Joel Hamling's last few weeks have been really important for us. Him and Fletch have formed an important partnership. Will be looking at new contract at end of season.

* The great thing is that Jake is putting his head down and doing his best to get back in the team. If not this week then for first final.

* The Bont's turn to Captain

* Crameri still training with the hope of positive outcome from Swiss Court.

Wouldn't it be weird if this eventuates. We'd be the only team to benefit. Cramers could be a huge plus.

kruder
23-08-2016, 09:49 PM
In Minson Campbell Stevens, Morris,Stringer

Out Roughead,Wood,Clay, Dunkley, Webb

Campbell might not be ready but Minson( played fantastic last week) can at least ruck 75% so happy to see Campbell forward along side Boyd. Roughead needs a good spell but I'd still bring him back for the first final for Minson.

With the risks around Macrae and Libba we need Stevens( second quarter was really good last week) to step up as we cant go into a final with an inside midfield including including Dunkley and Webb. I'm keeping Webb because I rate his footskills and he also has the potential to go to halfback to unleash JJ!

Clay I would give a week off then play him in the first VFL final and see if his wrecking ball attack on the contest returns.

Morris is self explanatory. One of my all time favourite bulldogs players who has had an excellent year indeed.

Initially i was keen for Jake to play another game at Footscray( judging by Bevos comments id say he does) but I'm slightly concerned at having so many changes for week 1 of the finals.

Macrae, Wood, Suckling,Roughead and Jake would all would be considering for the first final hence I'm concerned at making so many changes. What are people thoughts on this? Is it a little less important because there is a bye prior to the finals hence everyone is coming in fresh anyway? Or is continuity more important?

Oops I had a change of mine with Webb while writing due to continuity hence Stringer in for him.

bornadog
23-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Is it a little less important because there is a bye prior to the finals hence everyone is coming in fresh anyway? Or is continuity more important?

Bevo said today he initially didn't agree with the bye and its should be every man for himself. He feels now with all the inhuries, we may benefit the most with the week off. (of the teams in the 8)

I prefer continuity, but the finals are more gruelling and the boys can freshen up.

kruder
23-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Bevo said today he initially didn't agree with the bye and its should be every man for himself. He feels now with all the inhuries, we may benefit the most with the week off. (of the teams in the 8)

I prefer continuity, but the finals are more gruelling and the boys can freshen up.

It worked for north but they didn't have 3-4 players of the ~8-9 that were rested coming off injury. Thats the big concern for mine and food for thought for the match committee thats for sure.

Remi Moses
24-08-2016, 03:25 AM
If results don't fall our way on the weekend this could be a very bruise free game .

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2016, 10:19 AM
We should take every player on our list over to Perth and select the team depending on the result of the Adelaide v Eagles game and Norf v Giants game. If we can't improve our position from 7th after those results, rest a large number of players for an elimination final. If we must win to host a final or grab 4th, play our best 22.

Sorry cannot agree with this.

When we run out we will still be able to get past Hawthorn, who will be playing against Collingwood (still).

We also need to field a team the day before at VFL level and we don't want players resting for 2 weeks ahead of the 1st final if they are fit to play.

Axe Man
24-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Clay won't qualify to play VFL finals (when the AFL team isn't playing).

Smads57
24-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Just noting an earlier post around Hamilton being mentioned as a possible 'in' this week in Bevo's presser. If he were to play, it would mean our playing everyone on our list who was possibly available - only Prudden (inj early in season) and Goetz (left) won't play a senior game.

Axe Man
24-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Just noting an earlier post around Hamilton being mentioned as a possible 'in' this week in Bevo's presser. If he were to play, it would mean our playing everyone on our list who was possibly available - only Prudden (inj early in season) and Goetz (left) won't play a senior game.

Also Lynch.

If by some miracle Crameri comes back and plays in the finals you can add him too!

merantau
24-08-2016, 07:50 PM
i read these Match Committee reports each week agreeing with almost everyone's ins and outs and then get a big surprise come Thursday evening when the real MC comes up with their team.

I expect it will be the case again this week. if anyone needs a rest, then there's a big in Wilbur and a small in HC that are ready to fill the void, there's also a KPF in Stringer.

In - Morris and any one (or all) of Wil, HC and Stringer
Out - Wood and whoever needs a rest according to the MC (I don't suspect anyone will be putting their hands up however given what comes next...)

You are definitely on to something there Smads with your observation re. the MC springing surprises.
I'd like to see big Will back in. He performed admirably in the final against Adelaide last season. Tom Boyd would be able to spend more time up forward with Will in the side. If Honeychurch is fit I'd bring him in for Clay, who just looks a bit lost at the moment. To channel Jack Dyer: "He's getting where the ball ain't" at the moment.

LostDoggy
25-08-2016, 03:26 PM
Clay won't qualify to play VFL finals (when the AFL team isn't playing).

Just found this in the article on AFL website.

"If a player does not play AFL in round 23 he can represent his club in week one of the finals regardless of how many games he may have played.

This means Geelong and the Western Bulldogs could choose to leave players out of their senior side this week but play them in the first week of VFL finals to gain match fitness ahead of the AFL finals the following week"

That could mean Macrae, Suckling and possibly Libba could have a run in the VFL before returning for the first final.

Stringer could also fall into this boat if he doesn't come in this week.

Axe Man
25-08-2016, 03:39 PM

"If a player does not play AFL in round 23 he can represent his club in week one of the finals regardless of how many games he may have played.

This means Geelong and the Western Bulldogs could choose to leave players out of their senior side this week but play them in the first week of VFL finals to gain match fitness ahead of the AFL finals the following week"

That could mean Macrae, Suckling and possibly Libba could have a run in the VFL before returning for the first final.

That's good news for us. I hadn't seen that rule before, I'm guessing they have brought it in this year because of the week off before finals.

kruder
25-08-2016, 06:33 PM

One of the more interesting match committees thats for sure. Finally something going our way great news indeed.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I think we simply must pick the best 22 for Sunday. As much as I don't rate Freo, playing them at Subi in Pav's last game means we need our best side. It's not like playing Essendon, the Lions or Freo here, can't just bring whatever.

bornadog
25-08-2016, 07:15 PM
I think we simply must pick the best 22 for Sunday. As much as I don't rate Freo, playing them at Subi in Pav's last game means we need our best side. It's not like playing Essendon, the Lions or Freo here, can't just bring whatever.

Exactly what Bevo said on Tuesday

bornadog
25-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Stringer playing VFL again this week.

mjp
25-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Last year when we came to Perth we 100% tanked - the club has never liked me and wanted me to be taunted all day by very mouthy West Coast fans.

I am expecting a similar outcome on Sunday - but replace 'mouthy West Coast' with 'drunken Dockers'...and the whole Pavlich thing is making me very nervous.

bornadog
25-08-2016, 07:21 PM
In: W Minson; D Morris; M Suckling; K Stevens; T Campbell; B Williams
Out: J Roughead (calf); E Wood (ankle); R Smith (Omitted)

bornadog
25-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
Sunday, August 28 2016, 2.40pm
Venue: Domain Stadium

Full back
S Biggs
F Roberts
D Morris

Half back
J Johannisen
J Hamling
M Boyd

Centreline
L Hunter
M Bontempelli
L Picken

Half forward
L Jong
Z Cordy
C Smith

Full forward
T Boyd
T Dickson
C Daniel

Followers
W Minson
L Dahlhaus
J Dunkley

Interchange
M Suckling
N Hrovat
T Campbell

T McLean
L Webb
K Stevens

B Williams

In: W Minson; D Morris; M Suckling; K Stevens; T Campbell; B Williams
Out: J Roughead (calf); E Wood (ankle); R Smith (Omitted)

chef
25-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Some great ins.

bornadog
25-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Some great ins.

We need a good win in WA to go into the finals full of confidence. Tallest spine for awhile too. (swap Dickson for Boyd), including centre at 192cm plus

Eastdog
25-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Is Rorake unlucky?

Very good ins. How long is Easton out for?

So Campbell in the ruck I'd imagine and hopefully Tom Boyd in the forward line.

Stringer needs to have a strong outing at the Whitten Oval on Satuday.

The Adelaide Connection
25-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Wow, amazed that Stringer is not back. Kicked 5 on this mob in round 1 and tore it up at Subiaco last year when we played the Eagles.

LostDoggy
25-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Wow, amazed that Stringer is not back. Kicked 5 on this mob in round 1 and tore it up at Subiaco last year when we played the Eagles.

Agreed.. Home final up for grabs. Very suprised. Thought he comes in for Clay who seems to be struggling a bit.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Brain dead Dermie on Fox League Teams called Stringer Jessie again. No one corrected him. Amatuer hour.

Mantis
25-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Agreed.. Home final up for grabs. Very suprised. Thought he comes in for Clay who seems to be struggling a bit.

Clay is struggling a lot.

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Thought Jake might get a gig . Love seeing Bailey Williams in, and Mr September Will Minson

comrade
25-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Clay is struggling a lot.

Surprised he's in the starting 18. Just going right now. Would be first out for the mid/forward group if it was my choice.

Doc26
25-08-2016, 08:11 PM

Clay looks a fair way off the level. I don't understand the attraction with his current output.

Eastdog
25-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Brain dead Dermie on Fox League Teams called Stringer Jessie again. No one corrected him. Amatuer hour.

They still can't get it right. JAKE! Not Jesse.

FrediKanoute
25-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I think Clay is better as a small forward rather than in the midfield or part of the main rotation.

jake will need to earn his spot back in the side - not concerned by this

Rourke is stiff. very Stiff!

Doc26
25-08-2016, 08:25 PM

There's still much to be learnt on the effects of post concussion syndrome.

Eastdog
25-08-2016, 08:28 PM
I think Clay is better as a small forward rather than in the midfield or part of the main rotation.

jake will need to earn his spot back in the side - not concerned by this

Rourke is stiff. very Stiff!

If we kept Rourke on who would we have left out. Clay? Or someone else.

Rocco Jones
25-08-2016, 08:35 PM
I don't get Clay playing but Bevo is the way he is,

My tip
in- Morris, Minson, Suckling, Campbell
Out- Wood, Roughead, R.Smith, Webb

Williams for Suckling if he isn't right

G-Mo77
25-08-2016, 08:44 PM

Ridiculous decision not to play him IMO.

Roarke very unlucky but if he's not going to be in the 22 for our finals campaign he may as well play with Footscray this week. Rapt to see big Will in, Campbell back is huge for us as well. Finally, finally it looks like Boyd will be doing most of his work in the forward half.

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 09:00 PM

My tip

Playing Clay tells me Libba won't be right until deep into the finals should we get there.

As we were for half backs early in the year we are bereft of inside mids at the moment.

jeemak
25-08-2016, 09:07 PM
There's still much to be learnt on the effects of post concussion syndrome.

I'd have thought Dermie's output would suggest cause and effect is a fairly straight forward concept.

westbulldog
25-08-2016, 09:16 PM
This is a danger game, they are primed for Pavlich's last game. I would have had Stringer in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2016, 09:32 PM

My tip

I think Williams has more upside than Suckling.
Hard to believe that Clay Smith is still in the side with Stringer missing again. It doesn't make sense. Need to include both Campbell and Minson which allows Tom Boyd to play forward. Campbell can also go forward if Boyd is struggling.

hujsh
25-08-2016, 09:38 PM

My tip

That was my guess too

Not surprised that Stringer is out this week. Baring an outstanding VFL game he was always going to have more than one week in te VFL to learn whatever lesson he's being taught.

The bulldog tragician
25-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Am I alone in wondering why Suckling is always an automatic inclusion when deemed fit?

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 09:50 PM
This is a danger game, they are primed for Pavlich's last game. I would have had Stringer in.

They'll try for 3 quarters but they simply do not maintain the required level of pressure for 4 quarters. They haven't all year and if it takes a bloke to play his last game to bring it out of them then they should be ashamed of themselves and Ross Lyon should resign. It's a good test for us leading into the finals, a test we would historically fail.

Re. Suckling perfect game for him to come in. He will be important at Subi and will be required on the G.

SonofScray
25-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Am I alone in wondering why Suckling is always an automatic inclusion when deemed fit?
I doubt it.

That being said, I think he should be picked if fit in these scenarios. If he plays well and his kicking is on, he opens up a lot of avenues to goal which have dried up in the absences of Wood, Murphy and JJ for long periods this season.

Not my favourite player is Suckling, but I'd pick him every week at the moment.

jeemak
25-08-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm a bit surprised this many people thought Stringer would receive an immediate reprieve after laying nine tackles against a bunch of second tier footballers.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-08-2016, 10:38 PM
I'm a bit surprised this many people thought Stringer would receive an immediate reprieve after laying nine tackles against a bunch of second tier footballers.

With Crameri missing, Dickson an indifferent season with Tom Boyd kicking 9 goals in 9 games, Liberatore and Wallis missing as midfielders that can kick goals, that we still can afford to leave Stringer out of an indifferent attack.
In all seriousness would you rather have Jake up forward or Clay Smith?. Here we are a week away from the finals without the experience of Murphy Wood and Liberatore and yet still unable to select Stringer. Sure he has been out of form but would you rather see him get back getting some touch against Freo or leave him lamenting for a further week in the VFL. I hope for the sake of the club that I am proven wrong.

jeemak
25-08-2016, 10:52 PM
With Crameri missing, Dickson an indifferent season with Tom Boyd kicking 9 goals in 9 games, Liberatore and Wallis missing as midfielders that can kick goals, that we still can afford to leave Stringer out of an indifferent attack.
In all seriousness would you rather have Jake up forward or Clay Smith?. Here we are a week away from the finals without the experience of Murphy Wood and Liberatore and yet still unable to select Stringer. Sure he has been out of form but would you rather see him get back getting some touch against Freo or leave him lamenting for a further week in the VFL. I hope for the sake of the club that I am proven wrong.

Irrespective of whether I wanted him in last week, this week or whenever, once he was dropped it wasn't likely he was going to earn a recall after one serviceable game in the reserves against ordinary opposition.

For him to have been dropped in the first place suggests to me the coaching staff is deeply disappointed with his on-field attitude and output. He's a bit of a whipping boy of mine because I get frustrated by his tendency to take the piss in all areas of the game from time to time, but perform brilliantly in those same areas at other times depending on what suits him. He's needed a knock to his alignment for a while now and it's being done properly.

If giving Jake a set back results in him being good for two tackles and a goal a game, to six tackles and two or three goals a game then so be it. The latter Jake is more valuable to us.

GVGjr
25-08-2016, 11:17 PM

I'm the same. He has put in a number of below par performances but it's obvious the coach values his kicking skills highly.

Ozza
25-08-2016, 11:25 PM
I'm filthy that Stringer is still out.

Surely they can't be considering not playing Jake in our first final....to not play him in round 23 is staggering. For the second year in a row - no effort is being made to pick a side in the last game of the year that resembles the likely finals line up. And we don't learn.

Leading goal kicker and toughest match up for the opposition is toiling away in the reserves when a home final is on the line.

I've had it up to here hearing about Jake's 'poor performances' when there are many in the side who have had nowhere near the output.

Bevo's love affair with Koby Stevens and Matt Suckling continues. Clay Smith is going really ordinary - and in no way could be considered a better option as a forward than Stringer.

1eyedog
25-08-2016, 11:28 PM

What if we lose and it means losing a home final? You know Jake could be the difference.

LostDoggy
25-08-2016, 11:31 PM
There's no way Campbell makes the final 22.

With Minson, Boyd, Cordy, Hamling and Roberts in the side Beveridge will not pick Campbell.

Don't think round 23 is the time to experiment with a tall lineup.. which goes against the first 22 rounds strategy.

Remi Moses
25-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Why on earth are the Dockers playing Dawson?

jeemak
25-08-2016, 11:41 PM
What if we lose and it means losing a home final? You know Jake could be the difference.

Which of Jake's performances since the Port game suggests that's the case?

Once again however, I haven't even said he shouldn't be in the side. All I've commented on is my surprise people are surprised he isn't, even though he only had an OK reserves game in which he tackled well by all reports since being dropped.

I find it interesting that people have such vehement opinions on this in the face of the evidence at hand about Jake's output and without an insight into the inner sanctum's justification for dropping him in the first place.

Ozza
25-08-2016, 11:43 PM
There's no way Campbell makes the final 22.

With Minson, Boyd, Cordy, Hamling and Roberts in the side Beveridge will not pick Campbell.

Don't think round 23 is the time to experiment with a tall lineup.. which goes against the first 22 rounds strategy.

Yeah, tend to agree.

What I'm really look forward to, is that even though we have Minson in (who can ruck most of the game) - is the large chunks of time that we have Tom Boyd rucking against Sandilands, and Minson playing forward. That will be great for the blood pressure on a Sunday afternoon.

Subiaco has certainly proven to be a tough place for players to get used to/perform at for us over recent times.
We have a bloke that kicked 5 there last year even though we got spanked...

Ozza
25-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Which of Jake's performances since the Port game suggests that's the case?

Once again however, I haven't even said he shouldn't be in the side. All I've commented on is my surprise people are surprised he isn't, even though he only had an OK reserves game in which he tackled well by all reports since being dropped.

I find it interesting that people have such vehement opinions on this in the face of the evidence at hand about Jake's output and without an insight into the inner sanctum's justification for dropping him in the first place.

Since the port game;

Sydney game he kicked 3 including 2 in the second quarter in a minute that turned the game back in our favour.
Richmond game kicked 4 straight - and combined with Bonti to win us the game in the last quarter.
The very next week he was collected by May in the GCS game - and the shoulder set him back after that.

It was good to see that in last weeks VFL game, Stringer was no longer wearing the shoulder strapping.

You are pretty keen to (mis)characterise his VFL game as 'he laid tackles against sub-par opposition' as if that's all he did. He had 21 possessions (which is equal to the most he has had in the AFL) and was quite clearly working hard to be involved.

Plenty have contributed far less this season.
And none other than Bonti have the capacity to turn a game in our favour if things aren't going well in Perth this weekend.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Clearly Bevo has a plan for Stringer and he is sticking to it. Stringer no doubt has been given some KPIs to achieve and it will take two games in the VFL. Bevo did say he will be back and ready for finals football.

Ozza
26-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Clearly Bevo has a plan for Stringer and he is sticking to it. Stringer no doubt has been given some KPIs to achieve and it will take two games in the VFL. Bevo did say he will be back and ready for finals football.

He may not miss out on a trip to Perth either.

jeemak
26-08-2016, 12:06 AM
Since the port game;

Sydney game he kicked 3 including 2 in the second quarter in a minute that turned the game back in our favour.
Richmond game kicked 4 straight - and combined with Bonti to win us the game in the last quarter.
The very next week he was collected by May in the GCS game - and the shoulder set him back after that.

It was good to see that in last weeks VFL game, Stringer was no longer wearing the shoulder strapping.

You are pretty keen to (mis)characterise his VFL game as 'he laid tackles against sub-par opposition' as if that's all he did. He had 21 possessions (which is equal to the most he has had in the AFL) and was quite clearly working hard to be involved.

And none other than Bonti have the capacity to turn a game in our favour if things aren't going well in Perth this weekend.

In the games you mentioned he contributed well for sure, but he wasn't the difference, which if you look back to the post of mine you quoted was the point I was making.

Having not attended the game on Sunday last week I can only go by reports given to me by those who did. If his game was fantastic and I'm misreading it as a result of that then fair enough. If you went to the game and saw something they didn't then bully for you. Irrespective of that, managing to hit his season high for touches against second rate opposition isn't something I'd get excited about, but if you do, fair enough.

But once again, all I'm suggesting is that when someone gets dropped it's not unreasonable for it not to be fixed within a week.

comrade
26-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Since the port game;

Those 2 games you mentioned are perfect examples of Jake turning up for a small part of the game, and doing nothing for the other 90%.

I'm not happy for any player to pick and choose when he wants to work hard and get involved. And it has only gotten worse since he copped that knock. Now we're seeing no leads, negligible defensive pressure and tackling and stuff all goals in the past 3 weeks at AFL level.

I have absolutely no issue with how Bevo is handling it and my gut feel is it will turn out to be a master stroke.

Sedat
26-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Those 2 games you mentioned are perfect examples of Jake turning up for a small part of the game, and doing nothing for the other 90%.
Agreed, it is a nice trick to be able to turn it on at a moment's notice but I'd like to see Jake stay involved in the game for much longer periods.

Give him the chance to re-learn good habits in the twos (which he needs to), don't worry about travelling to Perth, get an extra week off for the shoulder to heal and be unleashed in week 1 of the finals well-rested and hungry.

S Coast Simon
26-08-2016, 09:58 AM
The only thing that I find a bit annoying is that this should have been sorted a few weeks earlier. Jake has not performed for awhile now and I watched the first half of the VFL last week and he was not playing like someone trying to rectify things. Sure he came good but not enough was done attitude wise for a recall. My only question is why are we doing this in the last game of the year. I won't pretend to know better than Bevo but it does make me wonder.

comrade
26-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Agreed, it is a nice trick to be able to turn it on at a moment's notice but I'd like to see Jake stay involved in the game for much longer periods.

Give him the chance to re-learn good habits in the twos (which he needs to), don't worry about travelling to Perth, get an extra week off for the shoulder to heal and be unleashed in week 1 of the finals well-rested and hungry.

Given he's not in the AFL team this week, makes him eligible for the first week of VFL finals.

I say play him. Maybe the increased stakes of finals footy (albeit at VFL level) fires him up and gets him going for the real stuff the following week.

comrade
26-08-2016, 10:01 AM
The only thing that I find a bit annoying is that this should have been sorted a few weeks earlier. Jake has not performed for awhile now and I watched the first half of the VFL last week and he was not playing like someone trying to rectify things. Sure he came good but not enough was done attitude wise for a recall. My only question is why are we doing this in the last game of the year. I won't pretend to know better than Bevo but it does make me wonder.

He had plenty of credits in the bank so I'm assuming he was given the chance to work his way out of his slump on his own terms. He was unable to do so, so the coaching staff intervened.

Bulldog4life
26-08-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm filthy that Stringer is still out.

Surely they can't be considering not playing Jake in our first final....to not play him in round 23 is staggering. For the second year in a row - no effort is being made to pick a side in the last game of the year that resembles the likely finals line up. And we don't learn.

Leading goal kicker and toughest match up for the opposition is toiling away in the reserves when a home final is on the line.

I've had it up to here hearing about Jake's 'poor performances' when there are many in the side who have had nowhere near the output.

Bevo's love affair with Koby Stevens and Matt Suckling continues. Clay Smith is going really ordinary - and in no way could be considered a better option as a forward than Stringer.

Jake will come back a better player for it. I am sure we will see a more urgent player too. Bevo knows what he is doing.

Hotdog60
26-08-2016, 10:12 AM
The Collingwood game in the VFL will be a test so lets she if Jake can help to get that one over the line.

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 10:16 AM
In the games you mentioned he contributed well for sure, but he wasn't the difference, which if you look back to the post of mine you quoted was the point I was making.

Having not attended the game on Sunday last week I can only go by reports given to me by those who did. If his game was fantastic and I'm misreading it as a result of that then fair enough. If you went to the game and saw something they didn't then bully for you. Irrespective of that, managing to hit his season high for touches against second rate opposition isn't something I'd get excited about, but if you do, fair enough.

But once again, all I'm suggesting is that when someone gets dropped it's not unreasonable for it not to be fixed within a week.

Jee, you can only play against the opposition put in front of you. 21 touches and 9 tackles is a pretty good game for a forward, excellent really and you would think that his 9 tackles implies he was doing the things that were asked of him [i.e. putting pressure on the ball carrier]. I'm not agitating for a recall I just thought he did the 1%ers pretty well.

comrade
26-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Jee, you can only play against the opposition put in front of you. 21 touches and 9 tackles is a pretty good game for a forward, excellent really and you would think that his 9 tackles implies he was doing the things that were asked of him [i.e. putting pressure on the ball carrier]. I'm not agitating for a recall I just thought he did the 1%ers pretty well.

He played midfield predominantly.

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 10:36 AM
He played midfield predominantly.

Yeah watched it. Should have clarified he's a forward playing midfield.

comrade
26-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Yeah watched it. Should have clarified he's a forward playing midfield.

I liked the 9 tackles. Didn't like the single mark, one joe the goose goal and multiple lazy scrubber kicks.

westbulldog
26-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Irrespective of whether he had a good game last week or not I would have had Jake in. He would attract their best defender and take the heat off Tom Boyd. If we lose this and have to play Westcoast at Subi our season will likely be over. Anyone recall Kieran Perkins at the Atlanta Olympics ?

Ozza
26-08-2016, 12:25 PM

I'm not happy for any player to pick and choose when he wants to work hard and get involved. And it has only gotten worse since he copped that knock. Now we're seeing no leads, negligible defensive pressure and tackling and stuff all goals in the past 3 weeks at AFL level.

I have absolutely no issue with how Bevo is handling it and my gut feel is it will turn out to be a master stroke.

What you saying is all well and good if it was round 12 at the moment.

Its round 23 - we are likely playing off for a home final, so it would be nice to have a match winner out there regardless of whether you think he is contributing for 10% or 90%.
Then we will be playing finals - would we really consider NOT playing him in the finals week one? The timing of all this has been staggering for me.

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 12:39 PM
What you saying is all well and good if it was round 12 at the moment.

Its round 23 - we are likely playing off for a home final, so it would be nice to have a match winner out there regardless of whether you think he is contributing for 10% or 90%.
Then we will be playing finals - would we really consider NOT playing him in the finals week one? The timing of all this has been staggering for me.

Agree. If its neck and neck in the last Jake more than anyone could do something in tbe last 5 minutes to get us across the line. He should be playing and if we lose a close one my son's iPad is going to morph into a fliPad.

LostDoggy
26-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Lachie Neale in doubt. That would be a massive bonus for us. Thats 40 possessions they won't get!

Doc26
26-08-2016, 01:22 PM
To win a final and progress further we need Jake to be at the top of his game, nearing his potential. Jake off his game in last year's final against the Crows was a difference between winning and losing (albeit as we all know there were other factors as well).

There is no questioning his potential match winning quality, we just need him to take the game on throughout the four quarters and have that confidence to smash the likes of a Kyle Hartigan again from the opening bounce. He needs to find his mojo again, that he is the main man up front.

I'm as frustrated as the rest of us that he is still not ready, demanding his place back to be 'the difference'.

Comparing why Jake is not in the side whilst the likes of Clay, Koby, Suckling etc are is not really the point. Finding Jake's match winning potential for us up forward in a final is. Can he capture this again by being brought in this week to play against the Dockers ? Who knows but I'd certainly prefer to focus getting the most out of him for week 1 to be considered a legitimate chance to progress through the finals.

Unfortunately we've left it very late in the piece now to make a point.

jeemak
26-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Might his output in the 2015 elimination final and what's been served up this year be his standard as a forward against good opposition who put time and effort into negating him?

That's not to detract from the gun player he could be, but he's playing the hardest position in the modern game and it's really only specialist forwards who can do that extremely well over the course of a career.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Might his output in the 2015 elimination final and what's been served up this year be his standard as a forward against good opposition who put time and effort into negating him?

That's not to detract from the gun player he could be, but he's playing the hardest position in the modern game and it's really only specialist forwards who can do that extremely well over the course of a career.

I tend to agree with you Jee.

Also, because he has done lots of freakish things on the ground, and we and the media pump him up, he looks like he is trying too hard to keep doing these freakish things. He needs to get back to the basics, and do what the coaching staff are trying to get him to do.

I am hoping in this years final series he really comes good and influences the games. Last years elimination was very disappointing - even though he clutched is hammy half way through the first quarter. Perhaps these two reserves games will get him where Bevo wants him to be.

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 01:49 PM
No Crameri is not helping him at all as well. They work excellently together.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 01:54 PM
No Crameri is not helping him at all as well. They work excellently together.

and Jarrad Grant. :D

Doc26
26-08-2016, 01:56 PM

His standard throughout 2015 was good enough to be seen and awarded as one of the best handful of forwards in the league.

As with all the elite players, as the opposition do their utmost to find a kink or shut them down, they push and work that much harder ala Marcus.

I'm confident that Jake should have the physical attributes to dominate games up forward, as he has shown. He is drifting too much in and out of games which for mine talks more to his mental capability at this time. The AC injury also seems to be playing with his mind more than it should (easy for me to say). No doubt, Crameri coming back in 2017 will ease the load on him but whereas Jake has struggled to be the main man up front, Marcus has continued to lift with all his midfield teammates falling down around him.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Final Team for Sunday:

Int;Suckling Hrovat Stevens Williams

Em;Campbell McLean Webb

IN: Minson Morris Suckling Stevens Williams

Out: Roughead Wood Webb RSmith McLean

McLean a surprise omission

comrade
26-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Bevo clearly hates kicking goals ;)

LostDoggy
26-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Clay Smith over McLean just makes zero sense to me.

comrade
26-08-2016, 06:12 PM

Yep, that's one I can't cop.

Rocco Jones
26-08-2016, 06:14 PM

In Bevo I/we trust? (confused face?)

Axe Man
26-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Freo
IN Zac Dawson, Matthew Pavlich, Aaron Sandilands, Matt de Boer
OUT Matt Taberner (Omitted), Jonathon Griffin (Omitted), Sam Collins (Omitted), Zac Clarke (Omitted)

Neale still named at this stage. If he plays we need to put a heavy tag on or take him out so he doesn't break Boyd's disposal record of 721 in a home-and-away season (he needs 21)!

1eyedog
26-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Weird. You would think if McLean was to play finals he would play against Freo.

Remi Moses
26-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Surprised Toby got dropped . Competition is pretty hot for spots, even with the injuries

G-Mo77
26-08-2016, 07:32 PM
McLean out good golly. I'll hold my thoughts on that.

comrade
26-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Silver lining is that by playing VFL this week, Toby is eligible next week also, giving him some extra footy and match fitness. Same for Campbell.

hujsh
26-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Silver lining is that by playing VFL this week, Toby is eligible next week also, giving him some extra footy and match fitness. Same for Campbell.

That's actually a good point.

Minson and Stevens/Clay vs Campbell and McLean this week probably isn't a big difference but a Campbell and McLean with more match fitness 2 weeks from now could be a handy boost.

comrade
26-08-2016, 08:20 PM
That's actually a good point.

Minson and Stevens/Clay vs Campbell and McLean this week probably isn't a big difference but a Campbell and McLean with more match fitness 2 weeks from now could be a handy boost.

Plus Footscray winning the first week of finals is also helpful for the senior team. Just keeps everyone active and percolating nicely.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2016, 10:59 PM
If this rooting continues, best Bonts & Tom Boyd have some general soreness. If the result changes nothing, we can only injure these guys.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 11:34 PM
If this rooting continues, best Bonts & Tom Boyd have some general soreness. If the result changes nothing, we can only injure these guys.

Depends if GWs win or not.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Depends if GWs win or not.

GWS will win. As Aker said in another thread, North's incentive to win is to go to Perth and cop this. I think they'll be happy to go to ANZ stadium against them again.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 11:59 PM
GWS will win. As Aker said in another thread, North's incentive to win is to go to Perth and cop this. I think they'll be happy to go to ANZ stadium against them again.

See my post in that thread, lots of scenarios still to play out. Adelaide could be the big losers finishing 5th, could have blown their double chance with that insipid performance.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 12:11 AM
See my post in that thread, lots of scenarios still to play out. Adelaide could be the big losers finishing 5th, could have blown their double chance with that insipid performance.

I get the round is to finish, but if we get to near game time and it looks like there's nothing that can happen. I do not want our few non injured match winners risking fitness for a dead rubber, that's my point in this thread about team selections.

Mantis
27-08-2016, 06:15 AM
Clay Smith over McLean?.. Over anyone??.. I don't see what he is offering.

GVGjr
27-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Same here. He came back strongly but his last couple of performances have been well below expectations.
In this weeks selections he's certainly had luck on his side.

1eyedog
27-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Same here. He came back strongly but his last couple of performances have been well below expectations.
In this weeks selections he's certainly had luck on his side.

With Jack, Tom and Mitch out I'm wondering if he's in purely to fulfill a midfield role. Be interesting to see where he plays. If it's forward at the expense of Toby it's a head scratcher. Run with on Neale?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Hard to fathom.

I like Clay, but his form has been putrid.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Very happy to see Williams included in the side.

On paper, we're good enough to account for the Dockers. Good opportunity for a few players to put their names forward for finals, and perhaps a last chance to get back to some form for a few others.

Given our injuries, it makes sense to see how Koby and Clay go, assuming the latter spends a bit more time in the guts. We need some hardened bodies who can win the contested ball and without Liberatore, Wallis and Macrae, they've got the opportunity to join Bont and Picken in doing the grunt work.