PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 23 2016 vs Fremantle

Eastdog
30-07-2016, 03:52 PM
This is the round 23 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
28-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Bank a few anchor a few

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 08:20 PM
B:

Struggling right now to think or say anything positive after that...
Hawthorn winning. If they lost, we would've been playing like that for a home final. Then we'd also be chokers. This way we were horrid shit of epic proportions in isolation from losing a home final right. So we are not chokers...

A:

Team Anchor. It takes a entire team playing that shithouse to play like that.
Putting Tom Boyd back on.
Not taking Jack Fitzpatrick as a delisted free agent like I wanted. Not that he's that good, but he wouldn't be there for that arsey goal.

comrade
28-08-2016, 08:28 PM
B

Tory Dickson made the most of his chances
Hamling was solid
Daniel stood out with his clean handling amid a sea of Bulldog fumbles

A

Smth, Dunkley, Jong, Stevens, Suckling are just liabilities under any pressure. Will be torture watching them in a few weeks if they play.
1 ruck + Boyd will not get it done in a final but I doubt Bevo changes things.
Jack Fitzpatrick. I hate you.

The bulldog tragician
28-08-2016, 08:51 PM
B: Dale Morris
Have liked Hamling's form
Ummm.. Dickson I guess

A; that familiar feeling of embarrassment and frustration following a trip to Perth
Atrocious skills. Bottom 4 stuff. We all know the culprits. But they outdid themselves today.
The performance for overshadowing a year of positives, bravery and spirit and leaving us in dread of, instead of looking forward to, finals.

Eastdog
28-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Bankers

Morris - important as ever
Dickson - looked quite good today
Smith early on up forward

Anchors

Not winning our last game of the H&A season
Our goal kicking and skills need to rapidly improve
The fact that we had to rely on other teams to avoid an Interstste final and play here

Ozza
28-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Bankers:

Caleb Daniel - clean below his knees. Makes such a difference.
Tory Dickson - kicks straight. Makes such a difference.
Matt Boyd - an absolute warrior for the club, brilliant above his head, brilliant below his knees.

Anchors;

Koby Stevens - Fumbles, picks the wrong option and then executes badly nearly every time. The coach loves him - so we will probably have him in the team for the finals. Absolute liability. I was wrong to ever stick up for him. I thought with Wallis, Libba, Macrae all out - then Koby would be a reasonable inclusion to help fill those roles. He absolutely has a crack, but any time he got involved in one of our chains of possession, he steered it off course.

Suckling - he is going sh1thouse since his run of injuries. Should absolutely be dropped for the finals. I'm sure he won't - another that the coach loves to the detriment of the side - fumbled more than his usual self, his kicking was awful, has no right side of the body to speak of - and when he isn't peak fitness & confidence - it shows up in his play more so.

Minno/Cordy - because I forgot they were even playing.

always right
28-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Could spend all night potting our players but will take a different tack;

B:
1. Hamling.....stood tall when everyone else was falling around him.

A:
1. That free against Picken for holding the ball in the last quarter. Mind boggling.
2. The free against Bont for deliberate in the last quarter. Made the Picken decision look reasonable. Same umpire mind you.
3. Suckling. Sorry but couldn't help myself. Has rapidly become my least favourite bulldog. What does he have to do to be dropped?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 10:24 PM
The Bont deliberate is equal second worst deliberate against us this year, absolutely shocking and I hope that umpire isn't getting finals. The equal worst was the Adelaide one where Betts actually hit it out and then appealed and got it. The Jong one against Collingwood was average too. I get the AFEL wanting less deliberates, but this umpiring of the rule is shameful for the game. As Judd said in the Hawthorn game when Frawley wouldn't touch the ball when it was near the line, players are changing their habits and instincts for the worse.

LostDoggy
28-08-2016, 10:25 PM
3. Suckling. Sorry but couldn't help myself. Has rapidly become my least favourite bulldog. What does he have to do to be dropped?

Get injured.:p

Bulldog4life
28-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Bankers

Morris - important as ever
Dickson - looked quite good today
Smith early on up forward

Anchors

Not winning our last game of the H&A season
Our goal kicking and skills need to rapidly improve
The fact that we had to rely on other teams to avoid an Interstste final and play here

If the draw was even we might not have. For example Geelong played Essendon twice.

Ozza
28-08-2016, 10:32 PM
The umpires for all games in Perth need to be looked at.

I think if you went back through my posts - you'll find that I pretty much never pot the umpires. But on a weekly basis - I'll watch the 4.40 Sunday Perth game and be in hysterics about what goes on - and nobody in the media or at the AFL ever pays attention to it because it is tucked away outside of the Melbourne-focused AFL media.

Every week, without fail - the umpiring bias towards the WA clubs over there is outrageous. Last years prelim is one that comes to mind....North had West Coast cold in the second quarter - but the umps just dragged the Eagles back into the game. It's uncanny.

I wouldn't be expecting any love Thursday-week - it will be an extremely frustrating night on that front.

Eastdog
28-08-2016, 10:33 PM
If the draw was even we might not have. For example Geelong played Essendon twice.

Obviously it won't happen today but if everyone played each other twice it separate teams out accordingly.

LostDoggy
28-08-2016, 10:39 PM
B

Tory Dickson made the most of his chances
Hamling was solid
Daniel stood out with his clean handling amid a sea of Bulldog fumbles

A

Smth, Dunkley, Jong, Stevens, Suckling are just liabilities under any pressure. Will be torture watching them in a few weeks if they play.
1 ruck + Boyd will not get it done in a final but I doubt Bevo changes things.
Jack Fitzpatrick. I hate you.
Get what you're saying but just can't have Dunkley as an anchor. The kid laid 13 tackles today, not many ever do that, let alone in R23 of your debut season. He's got things to work on but he's a ripper.

always right
28-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Get what you're saying but just can't have Dunkley as an anchor. The kid laid 13 tackles today, not many ever do that, let alone in R23 of your debut season. He's got things to work on but he's a ripper.

Agree....far from our biggest problem today. Reckon he's safe.

Ozza
28-08-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm willing to forgive Dunkley's weakness in disposal when he is;

A) so good in a one on one scenario.
B) so often gets to the right spots to be competitive for us.
C) such a smart footballer as an 18/19 year old and stays involved every quarter.

He has some things to work on, but gee he brings a lot to the table for a first year player.

Eastdog
28-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Really like him as a player. Plenty to work with. Hrovat is another with a good future. We sometimes forget just how young these guys are.

Greystache
28-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Anchors

Dickson seems to be coming into some form

Hamling did ok under a mountain of pressure

We get a week's break before we have to at that ground again.

Anchors

Stevens- If he plays in a final it will be scary. His disposal is putrid but it's still better than his decision making in traffic.

49 points. Really? 49? What the hell are we even trying to do these days?

MC why do we pick a bloke who can't do anything but contest a hitout and then not play him in the ruck. I think we're trolling the supporters.

merantau
28-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Bankers

Dale Morris - I hope he goes on forever.
Matthew Boyd - another warrior who gives his all
Joel Hamling - starting to string some good performances together.

Anchors

Ball handling
Disposal
Everything we did in the forward half of the ground.

bornadog
28-08-2016, 11:21 PM
The Bont deliberate is equal second worst deliberate against us this year, absolutely shocking and I hope that umpire isn't getting finals. The equal worst was the Adelaide one where Betts actually hit it out and then appealed and got it. The Jong one against Collingwood was average too. I get the AFEL wanting less deliberates, but this umpiring of the rule is shameful for the game. As Judd said in the Hawthorn game when Frawley wouldn't touch the ball when it was near the line, players are changing their habits and instincts for the worse.

Don't forget the Rioli one against Suckling and he kicked the goal.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Don't forget the Rioli one against Suckling and he kicked the goal.

Equal second worst.

Remi Moses
29-08-2016, 02:17 AM
Agree....far from our biggest problem today. Reckon he's safe.

I thought Dunkley was excellent . Brought energy, and one of the few.

Remi Moses
29-08-2016, 02:23 AM
Bankers - difficult job , but loved Hamling's game
- Dunkleys tackling
- great career of pav
Anchors- An indictment on Freo that it takes the Pavs retirement game to show something .
The WA reporter who asked Bevo about Matthew Boyds ankle injury, and said he did well to get 30 touches .
- the over possession of the pill
- the lack of forward connection . Appallingly bad
- our inability to win what should be round 23 easy games . Two years in a row
- to many poorly skilled bad decision makers in the team

comrade
29-08-2016, 09:11 AM

Consider it a cumulative anchor. Just torches the ball too often.

But he's certainly a good tackler.

merantau
29-08-2016, 09:25 AM
The sand in the hour glass has run out for a couple of our players.
One-sided players are a liability in today's game. Of our usual suspects only Hunter manages to disguise this flaw sufficiently well, on most occasions, to maintain his spot. And even then he turns the ball over too often.
This was the first game for the year when I felt we were really undermanned. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but omitting Stringer, and then rucking Tom Boyd for most of his game time left us target-less up forward.
That we kicked one-point in the last quarter had nothing to do with players wanting to avoid injury. We just could not get the ball into our half of the field. The scoreboard flattered - they were a 50 point better side than us.
Get a few back and it will be a different story next up. We can shake up the world. Go Dogs!

Mofra
29-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Bankers:
- Tom Boyd. Bonti aside, is he now our most important player?
- Dickson. Our only forward that looked threatening
- Dunkley - massive defensive game.

Anchors:
- Lachie Hunter. Terrible game.
- Our forwardline. If anyone finds them ask how the Loch Ness Monster is lately and where Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried.
- Fletcher Roberts "spoils ok" but is the slowest thinking footballer in the history of world sport.
- Minson. I know it's his first game back but a half-fit KPF was by far our better ruck option today.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Bankers:
- Tom Boyd. Bonti aside, is he now our most important player?
- Dickson. Our only forward that looked threatening
- Dunkley - massive defensive game.

Anchors:
- Lachie Hunter. Terrible game.
- Our forwardline. If anyone finds them ask how the Loch Ness Monster is lately and where Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried.
- Fletcher Roberts "spoils ok" but is the slowest thinking footballer in the history of world sport.
- Minson. I know it's his first game back but a half-fit KPF was by far our better ruck option today.

This made me laugh because it's true.

How about being run down by Pav? He was 5 horse lengths in front but couldn't get the signal from brain to foot in time. Remarkable!

Mofra
29-08-2016, 02:39 PM
This made me laugh because it's true.

How about being run down by Pav? He was 5 horse lengths in front but couldn't get the signal from brain to foot in time. Remarkable!
Players who can think quick can often mask a lack of foot speed.
Roberts just doesn't. I'm not cutting him from our list but he's not the guy I want leading our defence for the next decade.

bornadog
29-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Players who can think quick can often mask a lack of foot speed.
Roberts just doesn't. I'm not cutting him from our list but he's not the guy I want leading our defence for the next decade.

Did a similar thing the first time we played North when Petrie ran him down and then kicked a goal

westbulldog
29-08-2016, 03:53 PM
similar to a Markovic, Skipper or Wight ... may never be quite there.

The bulldog tragician
29-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Bankers - difficult job , but loved Hamling's game
- Dunkleys tackling
- great career of pav
Anchors- An indictment on Freo that it takes the Pavs retirement game to show something .
The WA reporter who asked Bevo about Matthew Boyds ankle injury, and said he did well to get 30 touches .
- the over possession of the pill
- the lack of forward connection . Appallingly bad
- our inability to win what should be round 23 easy games . Two years in a row
- to many poorly skilled bad decision makers in the team

The Age's "match report" also mentioned Matthew Boyd's ankle injury. How hard can this journalism caper be?

Murphy'sLore
29-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I think you could give it fair shake, Trag!

Eastdog
29-08-2016, 04:10 PM
The Age's "match report" also mentioned Matthew Boyd's ankle injury. How hard can this journalism caper be?

Unbelievable that some professional journalists today just get it wrong. At least Tom came back and was alright in the end.

Mantis
29-08-2016, 04:18 PM

The same report had Clem Smith starting the game in a blaze of glory.

1eyedog
29-08-2016, 04:32 PM

Match report details sent via carrier pigeon from Perth over night.

azabob
30-08-2016, 09:26 AM
The Age would have used their sisters paper in Perth for their match report.

always right
30-08-2016, 09:36 AM
The Age would have used their sisters paper in Perth for their match report.
Fair enough then:rolleyes:. Bit much to expect a journo from Perth to know any non-WA players I guess.

soupman
30-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Fair enough then:rolleyes:. Bit much to expect a journo from Perth to know any non-WA players I guess.

Surely it's a bit much to ask the Age, the professional news organisation that's biggest point of difference with the abundance of internet media is professional journalists, to ensure two of the three players mentioned outside of a paragraph copy pasted from the stats sheet are actually named correctly.

Also not sure what the comment about "they could only play on emotion for so long" regarding our players was getting at. At no point were we playing on emotion or had anything to be emotional about, while Freo were the complete opposite.