PDA

View Full Version : Bevo says all KPF trade/free agent options will now be considered for 2017.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Bevo was asked yesterday about replacing Jack Redpath in his absence and whether we'd look at one year options like Cloke. Bevo said everything will now be considered to help Tom out with another key forward.

So short term options:

Travis Cloke (Collingwood needing to pay the bulk of his wages)
Drew Petrie (if talked out of retirement)
Matt Pavlich (if talked out of retirement)
Mitch Clark (if he plays on)

Longer term options:

Daniel McStay (lifelong best friend of Tom Boyd)
Nathan Vardy (injured again, again, again. But we are/were rumoured to be into him)
Mason Wood (might cost a bit)
Majak Daw (just because I have to mention him)
Sam Reid of Sydney (ditto)
Aaron Black (free agent, probably not going to be matched)
Ty Vickery (free agent, may not be matched depending on compo)
Ben Griffiths (we were reported to be into him 2 years ago)
Liam Jones (oh I how I make myself laugh. No, Carlton can pay him another $300,000 next year)

Any others? In the spirit of considering everything, what should we consider more strongly to get a second tall forward, and should that person be the second ruckman leaving Boyd as a permanent forward (I say yes).

lemmon
31-07-2016, 08:51 PM
The obligatory John Butcher rumour that comes up every year

bulldogtragic
31-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Has that been mentioned yet? Overdue if not.

azabob
31-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Has that been mentioned yet? Overdue if not.

Hey, didnt Butcher kick more goals than Richmond this weekend?

azabob
31-07-2016, 09:00 PM
I think Mason Wood has signed a new contract.

stefoid
31-07-2016, 11:23 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-30/butcher-could-save-career-in-last-games-of-season

bornadog
31-07-2016, 11:25 PM
I think Mason Wood has signed a new contract.

Correct Aza

Throughandthrough
01-08-2016, 12:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5zvC9NKFw

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Bevo was asked yesterday about replacing Jack Redpath in his absence and whether we'd look at one year options like Cloke. Bevo said everything will now be considered to help Tom out with another key forward.

So short term options:

Travis Cloke (Collingwood needing to pay the bulk of his wages)
Drew Petrie (if talked out of retirement)
Matt Pavlich (if talked out of retirement)
Mitch Clark (if he plays on)

Longer term options:

Daniel McStay (lifelong best friend of Tom Boyd)
Nathan Vardy (injured again, again, again. But we are/were rumoured to be into him)
Mason Wood (might cost a bit)
Majak Daw (just because I have to mention him)
Sam Reid of Sydney (ditto)
Aaron Black (free agent, probably not going to be matched)
Ty Vickery (free agent, may not be matched depending on compo)
Ben Griffiths (we were reported to be into him 2 years ago)
Liam Jones (oh I how I make myself laugh. No, Carlton can pay him another $300,000 next year)

Any others? In the spirit of considering everything, what should we consider more strongly to get a second tall forward, and should that person be the second ruckman leaving Boyd as a permanent forward (I say yes).

Hey, watched a bit of Northern Blues V Werribee today! Liam Jones looked pretty comfortable there to me.
What about some of the retirees at Geelong? Anyone else down there?

azabob
01-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Is James Stewart from GWS worth a look? Boyd can play deep and he can be the lead up type?

GVGjr
01-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Is James Stewart from GWS worth a look? Boyd can play deep and he can be the lead up type?

I think so but the question will still be if we need another forward especially with Crameri coming back although we won't see much from Redpath.

Mantis
01-08-2016, 08:21 AM
I think so but the question will still be if we need another forward especially with Crameri coming back although we won't see much from Redpath.

We definitely need some ready to go back up if any of Boyd, Crameri or Stringer get injured... Probably need a couple of developing types too.

LostDoggy
01-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Still reckon Michael Apeness from Freo is someone we'll have a go for.

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 09:57 AM
We definitely need some ready to go back up if any of Boyd, Crameri or Stringer get injured... Probably need a couple of developing types too.

Couldn't agree more. We've got a range of developing defenders, but no kids developing as KPFs. Another mature forward has to be up on the list with sorting out the ruck department.

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Chris Dawes is another - he's out of contract this year.

azabob
01-08-2016, 10:06 AM

I would like a second tall and have Crameri, Stringer, Dickson as forward and midfield options. I am starting to move into the camp Stringer could be more benifical as a midfielder rather than forward.

Mofra
01-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Is Schultz completely cooked or can he be nursed through another season?

KPFs are in hot demand (witness Freo's perennial failure to attract or develop one since Pav) so we'd have to pay for any remotely decent option

The Bulldogs Bite
01-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Are there any Waite-esque options floating around? He's been good value for Norf. Didn't cost them much yet has been able to fill a solid role whilst they "challenge". I think we need something similar, as opposed to adding another young key forward - though I agree we also need to develop one.

Stewart from GWS could be a good option given he could provide some ruck relief, but I'm thinking he may cost a little bit, given he's young and shown potential. They're also losing McCarthy and maybe Tomlinson.

Do we think Cloke is completely gone? I've watched him and it would appear this way, but if Collingwood contributed to his salary and we got him cheaply it might be worth consideration. Still, I don't favour it - he looks finished.

Daw and Vardy are basement options.

bornadog
01-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Are there any Waite-esque options floating around? He's been good value for Norf. Didn't cost them much yet has been able to fill a solid role whilst they "challenge". I think we need something similar, as opposed to adding another young key forward - though I agree we also need to develop one.

Stewart from GWS could be a good option given he could provide some ruck relief, but I'm thinking he may cost a little bit, given he's young and shown potential. They're also losing McCarthy and maybe Tomlinson.

Do we think Cloke is completely gone? I've watched him and it would appear this way, but if Collingwood contributed to his salary and we got him cheaply it might be worth consideration. Still, I don't favour it - he looks finished.

BIG no to Daw and injury prone Vardy. I was against getting Cloke but now that Redpath has gone down, maybe he is an option.

I mentioned in another thread, we need an athletic mobile ruck that can play foward as well instead of a pure KPP. I think every club wants one, but is there one out there?

bulldogsthru&thru
01-08-2016, 12:20 PM
BIG no to Daw and injury prone Vardy. I was against getting Cloke but now that Redpath has gone down, maybe he is an option.

I mentioned in another thread, we need an athletic mobile ruck that can play foward as well instead of a pure KPP. I think every club wants one, but is there one out there?

Geelong have about 3. Stanley would be a good fit for us.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2016, 12:46 PM

This is the guy I hope we go after. Out of contract at the end of the year. Have seen him play live as well as seeing him multiple times on the tele. Very impressive.

Happy Days
01-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Word is that there are serious questions on Stewart's appetite to do anything other than get out the back. Doesn't really dissuade me (works for Josh Jenkins), but probably isn't the crash and bash type we seem to want.

Mofra
01-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Tyrone Vickery.

*Ducks*

bornadog
01-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Tyrone Vickery.

*Ducks*

I would prefer him to Cloke.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Tyrone Vickery.

*Ducks*

I would not be averse to our club making enquiries on Vickery. Certainly would prefer him to Cloke.

bornadog
01-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I would not be averse to our club making enquiries on Vickery. Certainly would prefer him to Cloke.

Will be 27 next year, so should be reaching his peak

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 01:33 PM
What about Roughead back again? If Roughie could play back and TC in the ruck we have Roughie, Roberts, Adams and Morris back there all capable of playing on talls. That would release Hurley forward if we could get him. Just spit balling but perhaps we need a reshuffle rather than a half baked potato. I thought our need was outside speed / disposal capabilities.

westdog54
01-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Will be 27 next year, so should be reaching his peak

It would be oh so satisfying to poach him out from under Richmond and have him come good straight away.

azabob
01-08-2016, 01:35 PM
I think if we push JJ and Stringer into the midfield we only need a developing outsider runner with pad and good disposal.

azabob
01-08-2016, 02:15 PM
What are posters thoughts about Josh Bruce? He had struggled second half off this season but when he is up and running he could provide a good option and partner in crime for both Crameri and Boyd.

Saints have Mcartin and Membery to cover Bruces loss.

He wouldn't come cheap, but he can play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2016, 02:17 PM
What are posters thoughts about Josh Bruce? He had struggled second half off this season but when he is up and running he could provide a good option and partner in crime for both Crameri and Boyd.

Saints have McCartin and Membery to cover Bruces loss.

I would've thought there'd be no way Saints would consider off-loading young talent on their list, and with McCartin looking like he's got a glass head they'd be even less inclined to trade out a tall marking forward.

The Doctor
01-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I would rather Vickery over Cloke as well, on the proviso it doesn't cost us Campbell in the machinations of our list management.

Cloke, in the ideal world, would be a good mentor and foil for Boyd, but it's not the ideal world I'm afraid. There is a lot more wrong with Cloke these days than there is what's right about him. How many good game are there really left in him? There is a reason he's been playing in the reserves. He can't kick, won't follow the game plan, old, slowing down etc. Also the whole Collingwood/Cloke/Bogan thing tells me "buyer beware". Do we want this around our club? Maybe it's just me seeing the worst!

Vickery on the other hand has a number of attributes we need. His whole career has been based around being the 2nd tall forward to Riewoldt and being 2nd ruck. We need that. His out put is not too dissimilar to Redpath in that he averages around 1.5 goals and ranks fairly high for marks inside 50. but is clearly a better ruck option. He is the a good age for a big guy at 26 or 27 for next year. To me Vickery is a $250 - 300k per year player and a free agent so the cost shouldn't be too great. If another club offers obscene money then forget it.

both players are quite maligned, then again, so is our Tom. The main concern to me is that if Vickery comes does Campbell become expendable or does he want out due to another threat to his position? I wouldn't like to lose Campbell to gain Vickery.

Webby
01-08-2016, 02:48 PM

Saints have Mcartin and Membery to cover Bruces loss.

Rate him highly, but so do Saints. Particularly with Riewoldt coming to the end and McCartin with his share of issues, he'd only be available if someone were to over spend. I'd love him in R, W & B, but he'd cost too much.

Mofra
01-08-2016, 02:53 PM
both players are quite maligned, then again, so is our Tom. The main concern to me is that if Vickery comes does Campbell become expendable or does he want out due to another threat to his position? I wouldn't like to lose Campbell to gain Vickery.
Would have though Campbell backs himself in to become our no 1 ruck?
He was ahead of Roughy pre-season and next year only has Roughy as competition (assuming Minson does not re-sign).

Our ruck stocks are thin enough without Campbell leaving.

Axe Man
01-08-2016, 02:56 PM
How about Cameron Cloke, kicked 16 for Craigieburn recently? Could we lure Mitch Thorp back from Tassie?;)

The Doctor
01-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Would have though Campbell backs himself in to become our no 1 ruck?
He was ahead of Roughy pre-season and next year only has Roughy as competition (assuming Minson does not re-sign).

Our ruck stocks are thin enough without Campbell leaving.

agree, definately want to keep Campbell

bulldogsthru&thru
01-08-2016, 03:03 PM
How about Cameron Cloke, kicked 16 for Craigieburn recently? Could we lure Mitch Thorp back from Tassie?;)

Geez, for all those who aren't so keen on the Boyd deal, imagine the options we'd be considering without him. The above would be very real and sounds all too familiar pre-Boyd

Axe Man
01-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Still reckon Michael Apeness from Freo is someone we'll have a go for.

And right on cue he signs a 2 year contract extension!

GVGjr
01-08-2016, 06:57 PM

I think Stewart would only consider a club that sold him on the concept that he was a viable best 22 player, I don't think he would consider us if we were to say we needed him to primarily back up the players above.

Now if we were to tell him we saw him as our CHF it might really interest him. I'm 50/50 on him though.

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 07:00 PM
I like the idea of McStay as a forward in development mode. The right now option has to be the second ruck also which only leaves open (1) Vickery (not the greatest), (2) Vardy (too many injuries) and (3) Daw (spud). So if Richmond didn't match Vickery, and our offer was ok, then I could live with it on the basis he delivers Tom Boyd to full forward all game. The value of Leigh Brown in Collingwood getting its premiership shouldn't be underrated, sometimes you need an honest try-er that allows flow on benefits to the team balance.

The Doctor
01-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Don't get the love for Stewart.
Please explain!

GVGjr
01-08-2016, 07:10 PM
I like the idea of McStay as a forward in development mode. The right now option has to be the second ruck also which only leaves open (1) Vickery (not the greatest), (2) Vardy (too many injuries) and (3) Daw (spud). So if Richmond didn't match Vickery, and our offer was ok, then I could live with it on the basis he delivers Tom Boyd to full forward all game. The value of Leigh Brown in Collingwood getting its premiership shouldn't be underrated, sometimes you need an honest try-er that allows flow on benefits to the team balance.

Is McStay out of contract or is there some noise that he is looking to depart?

soupman
01-08-2016, 07:14 PM

He plays for Brisbane. Of course he is looking to depart

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 07:20 PM

He plays for Brisbane. Of course he is looking to depart

This. He has a contract for next year, but rumours that the player exodus will be the biggest yet will have everyone circling. They don't seem to know where to play him and he looks to have stalled because of it. Being literally best mates with Tom Boyd since primary school is my connection that we could offer him a reunion to play together. Perhaps a Honeychurch or Jong and/or pick swaps could get it done.

G-Mo77
01-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Is Allan Jakovich available?

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Only for a top 10 pick...

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 09:57 PM

For $200 and free drinks he'll MC for the night.

Hotdog60
01-08-2016, 11:25 PM
I'd put Jacko on the list, pray that we make the Grand Final and play him for the one game and have him take out the oppositions back line systematically by the first quarter and then we romp home.:)

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 11:36 PM
I'd put Jacko on the list, pray that we make the Grand Final and play him for the one game and have him take out the oppositions back line systematically by the first quarter and then we romp home.:)

The only way Jacko takes them out now is by sitting on them. :D

GVGjr
01-08-2016, 11:38 PM
This. He has a contract for next year, but rumours that the player exodus will be the biggest yet will have everyone circling. They don't seem to know where to play him and he looks to have stalled because of it. Being literally best mates with Tom Boyd since primary school is my connection that we could offer him a reunion to play together. Perhaps a Honeychurch or Jong and/or pick swaps could get it done.

So it's highly speculative that he is available and even more that the Lions would trade him.

Given the Lions don't know where to play him is he a genuine key defender or forward or a player that looks like he might fit in?

bulldogtragic
01-08-2016, 11:52 PM
So it's highly speculative that he is available and even more that the Lions would trade him.

Given the Lions don't know where to play him is he a genuine key defender or forward or a player that looks like he might fit in?

Contracts don't mean too much now, especially at Brisbane. Remember last year when they said they would not trade Aish under any circumstances? ( :) ) I don't get the feeling it's in his best interests to stay there and think a good trade could serve us both well if we had a young midfielder Jong/Honeychurch etc that could serve a need of theirs. I like him as a forward from the limited time I've watched him compared to a defender, but being a defender at Brisbane is the worst gig in the league. To me he's stagnating under the regime and has a higher talent profile and talent ceiling than what we are seeing. I'd expect a few clubs to be after him, I'd hope reuniting him with his best friend of ten years or more might be a good selling point.

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Brisbane do seem to be a club we should be looking at closely as they have a wealth of good young tall talent and need fresh blood in other areas. I'd be going extra hard for Eric Hipwood who has done very well this year to kick 11 goals in 6 games as a 200 cm, 82 kg 18 year old in a hopeless team. Has outstanding attributes, with the right development, could be anything.

Schache is probably not gettable, but Freeman, Close and Andrews are all probably other options I could see us having a good, hard look at.

ledge
02-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Oh no not Mc Stay we know the issues with Tom Boyd and best mates. We will turn into a WWE club.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2016, 04:04 PM
We have Tom Boyd as our genuine KPF. Redpath is out for most of next year. That's our tall forwards. The VFL forward line on the team sheet had Roarke Smith at CHF, with Hamilton, Adcock, Webb & Dale around him with a VFL listed player at full forward.

Dare I say we need a mature KPF option, Cloke picking us is seeming it. But also we need to draft a decent KPF for the future.

Surely we need two this year post season, one for now, and one to develop for later.

bornadog
03-09-2016, 06:46 PM
We have Tom Boyd as our genuine KPF. Redpath is out for most of next year. That's our tall forwards. The VFL forward line on the team sheet had Roarke Smith at CHF, with Hamilton, Adcock, Webb & Dale around him with a VFL listed player at full forward.

Dare I say we need a mature KPF option, Cloke picking us is seeming it. But also we need to draft a decent KPF for the future.

Surely we need two this year post season, one for now, and one to develop for later.

We also need a developing Ruckman