PDA

View Full Version : A question for anyone who's watched North in the last few weeks...

westdog54
31-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Can we beat this mob?

Can we beat them without Bob, Libba, Wally, Adams, Macrae, Redpath, Boyd, Suckling, Mclean and Campbell?

I haven't, but they and StKilda combining for 6 goals in a half left me thoroughly unconvinced.

Are they gettable?

Mantis
31-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Very gettable.. They are just going.

Down in numbers in the midfield, so will need the likes of Jong, Stevens and Smith to give solid assistance to Dahl & the Bont... Hopefully the likes of Webb and Hrovat, if called up can help out too... Morris and Boyd should return which will give the defence some stability.

They will come for the Bont after his comments post our last game.. Good luck with that.

Eastdog
31-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Very good chance and will be great to win to get us some confidence.

westdog54
31-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Very gettable.. They are just going.

Down in numbers in the midfield, so will need the likes of Jong, Stevens and Smith to give solid assistance to Dahl & the Bont... Hopefully the likes of Webb and Hrovat, if called up can help out too... Morris and Boyd should return which will give the defence some stability.

They will come for the Bont after his comments post our last game.. Good luck with that.

Refresh my memory? Can't remember what he said.

From what I saw on Friday Bonti will take the lot of them on himself.

Would love to see him stare down Firrito.

Mantis
31-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Refresh my memory? Can't remember what he said.

From what I saw on Friday Bonti will take the lot of them on himself.

Would love to see him stare down Firrito.

They took offence to his comments about Thomas's tackle on Hunter.. Something like it had 'malice' in it.

westdog54
31-07-2016, 10:18 PM
They took offence to his comments about Thomas's tackle on Hunter.. Something like it had 'malice' in it.

Ah yes, now I remember.

Let them come.

Ghost Dog
31-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Age V Youth

Goldstien will win the ruck but that didn't bother us in 2015. We just sharked his hits.
Of the eight best players when we beat them last year, Wally and Macrae are missing. If we can cover those, why not?

I love it when we go in small and beat taller teams.

MrMahatma
01-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Age V Youth

Goldstien will win the ruck but that didn't bother us in 2015. We just sharked his hits.
Of the eight best players when we beat them last year, Wally and Macrae are missing. If we can cover those, why not?

I love it when we go in small and beat taller teams.

Let's not go in so small though. Bring in Minson and allow us to play Boyd up forward and at least have height in the F50 all night.

I reckon we struggle against the Roos. This is a must win game, but very much a 50/50 at best.

westdog54
01-08-2016, 10:07 AM
If Minson plays doesn't Goldstein pull him to pieces around the ground?

Mofra
01-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Macrae is very underrated for his defensive running - I think we miss him as much as we miss Dahlhaus.

At some point we will not be able to cover the injuries. I'm worried

1eyedog
01-08-2016, 10:47 AM
I think they are beatable but I see it being a repeat of our efforts over the past month. We are hangers-on now with so many down and will always be in the contest but not able to kick goals to apply pressure. I'm just being a realist because with so many out it's now at the pointy end that you start to feel the crunch. Mofra is spot on, we'll miss Macrae like we missed Dahl.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2016, 11:04 AM
With the list of our outs, I'm genuinely unsure from week to week what kind of performance we can put on. I thought we'd get smashed by 10 or more goals against Geelong, and but for the injuries to Libba and Macrae I think we could've been a good shot at getting the points.
With Libba and Macrae now gone for some time on top of who we've already lost to date I really am just not sure how Bevo is going to stitch a team together in a manner that makes us competitive from here on in.

comrade
01-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Macrae is very underrated for his defensive running - I think we miss him as much as we miss Dahlhaus.

At some point we will not be able to cover the injuries. I'm worried

Yeah, I reckon a belting is around the corner.

bornadog
01-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Hopefully MBoyd and Moz will be back this week. I wonder how Adams is progressing?

bornadog
01-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Waite booked in for minor surgery so won't play this week.

westdog54
01-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Waite booked in for minor surgery so won't play this week.

That can only be a good thing. Can we keep Brown and Petrie contained?

Eastdog
01-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Hopefully MBoyd and Moz will be back this week. I wonder how Adams is progressing?

Yes they are very important because while our defence has done very well despite all the injuries there is a point where it will start becoming vulnerable against sides with strong forwards. Friday night showed that when Geelong had it inside 50 they were getting goals a lot more easier and they were hard to contain.

Eastdog
01-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Who would go to them you reckon if Morris and M Boyd return.

azabob
01-08-2016, 01:37 PM
The worrying sign is Petrie played his best 40 minutes of the season against St.Kilda. Took strong marks and kicked goals. He would be very confident going into this week.

Sedat
01-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Norf have been less predictable in the midfield over the last couple of weeks - guys like Clarke and Dumont are getting increased minutes there with Ziebell especially spending more time forward.

Watch for snipers like Firitto and Thompson to test out Stringer's shoulder the entire game, and also every player will be instructed to smash into Bont at every stoppage.

Happy Days
01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
They're very gettable.

I live with an insane North fan so I'm forced to watch them pretty much every week, and they play a lot like a lower possession version of us. They're reliant on their backline to win them games rather than their front half, who, outside of Brown (!!!), are not overly imposing; with the exception of the Collingwood game, they haven't cleared 90 points in 2 months. Petrie is shot (again, Pies game notwithstanding), Waite is gone, and Thomas isn't as dangerous as his goal tally reflects, as he really struggles to actually get the ball.

Their midfield is one paced and not very good, and is not getting the silver service it was previously from Goldstein, who is definitely playing hurt. Swallow/Cunnington/Gibson is one of the most predictable and uninspiring starting midfields I can recall; their entire spread is reliant on Wells receiving the ball on the outside. Their ability to win games is largely contingent on their key defenders stifling the opposition's dangerous forwards. Firrito and Thompson are having great years, and Macmillan is a gun and pretty good user.

If we stop Wells and use the ball well going forward, we should win.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Thanks Happy Days

Waite out helps us.
We have to be very careful in a weakened list to protect our younger players. I don't want their development to suffer because we haven't enough mature bodies to buffer them.
The vision of Caleb Daniel being sling tackled and Stringer getting his shoulder whacked was worrying. I want to see us with an appropriate mix of players to put up with North's aggression.

If we play as we did V Geelong they will keel over.

LostDoggy
01-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I want us to beat up and smash these pigs!

SonofScray
01-08-2016, 08:36 PM
I think Geelong and Norf have both been very fortunate to draw us when they have in both match ups this season. Haven't seen what we can do to them as two of the better performed teams in this season and previous.

Remi Moses
01-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Petrie's form worries me as he's lifted . Loves those milestone games
They're going to bring back Daw , and we should oblige by bringing back Markovic

Ghost Dog
01-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Petrie's form worries me as he's lifted . Loves those milestone games
They're going to bring back Daw , and we should oblige by bringing back Markovic

Majak Daw is going to play for us one day. In the VFL I hope!

stefoid
02-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Thanks Happy Days

Waite out helps us.
We have to be very careful in a weakened list to protect our younger players. I don't want their development to suffer because we haven't enough mature bodies to buffer them.
The vision of Caleb Daniel being sling tackled and Stringer getting his shoulder whacked was worrying. I want to see us with an appropriate mix of players to put up with North's aggression.

If we play as we did V Geelong they will keel over.

Clay Smith and Minson in the guts to had our a few whacks?

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 07:41 AM
North's form prior to StKilda was poor. They were clearly way 'up' for Harvey's milestone game and celebrated as though they'd won a final. They may well struggle to be as up for it this week. We also have an extra day to prepare. I think that if we bring the intensity of last week to this match, North will really struggle to go with us.

Rocket Science
02-08-2016, 11:52 AM
From the President down this sneering mob shit me to actual tears.

They're evidently flagging and despite our outs we should - and need to - be able to account for them as perhaps our last genuine tune up for September heat. But Petrie's one of those types - a la Riewoldt - who seems to relish playing us and is just as likely to revel in no natural opponent for him and grab/kick everything in sight.

I'd rather not contemplate how it'll feel if they knock us over again.

The Pie Man
02-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Wells' influence on the 1st quarter against Collingwood was huge - he will be very important.
Petrie did look to have his mojo back last week, but that North/Saints game was fairly average on the eye.
Feels like if we turn up like we did in Geelong this Saturday night we should win. Would be handy to convert our predictable midfield dominant periods into actual goals though.

Mofra
02-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Brown's in form, Petrie has played 1 good game in the past 2 months. He's cooked.

Ghost Dog
02-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Brown's in form, Petrie has played 1 good game in the past 2 months. He's cooked.

Usually plays ok against us, unfortunately.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-08-2016, 02:49 PM
St kilda beat us, North beat St Kilda, we beat North.

stefoid
02-08-2016, 11:45 PM
Yeah, Wells needs a minder

SonofScray
03-08-2016, 12:04 AM
From the President down this sneering mob shit me to actual tears.

They're evidently flagging and despite our outs we should - and need to - be able to account for them as perhaps our last genuine tune up for September heat. But Petrie's one of those types - a la Riewoldt - who seems to relish playing us and is just as likely to revel in no natural opponent for him and grab/kick everything in sight.

I'd rather not contemplate how it'll feel if they knock us over again.

Cocky bastards were all over SEN this morning. They are the Gollum's of the AFL world. Such a butter and twisted mob. I'd love to see them keel over and die. Absolutely despise their supporter base, their champions and club culture.

LostDoggy
03-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Cocky bastards were all over SEN this morning. They are the Gollum's of the AFL world. Such a butter and twisted mob. I'd love to see them keel over and die. Absolutely despise their supporter base, their champions and club culture.

Butter and twisted? Mmmm, delicious.....

westdog54
03-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Butter and twisted? Mmmm, delicious.....

At first I thought he was typing with a New Zealand accent.

jeemak
03-08-2016, 12:33 AM
I love the optimism we bring against a clash to a side that's perennially underrated by this board, especially given how completely out coached and out played we were last time we played Norf.

Sure, last time we were knocked around by injury compared to them. This time around we're probably more knocked around by injury than we were last time compared to them as they are now so that's hardly likely to make a difference (Waite aside).

We're in for a very very tough game this week. As much as I don't like Brad Scott, he's an excellent coach and has gotten two consecutive prelims out of an ordinary list these past two years, and he out coached our coach last time we played them.

Remi Moses
03-08-2016, 03:22 AM
I think Scotts a half decent coach , but north have recruited for now and frankly that doesn't look like happening.
I'll be interested to see what happens next season as they have one very old list which could plummet of the cliff very quickly .

Remi Moses
03-08-2016, 03:24 AM
I love the optimism we bring against a clash to a side that's perennially underrated by this board, especially given how completely out coached and out played we were last time we played Norf.

Sure, last time we were knocked around by injury compared to them. This time around we're probably more knocked around by injury than we were last time compared to them as they are now so that's hardly likely to make a difference (Waite aside).

We're in for a very very tough game this week. As much as I don't like Brad Scott, he's an excellent coach and has gotten two consecutive prelims out of an ordinary list these past two years, and he out coached our coach last time we played them.

Gotta say though last season they got Richmond who aren't tough enough for finals, and then got a banged up Sydney.
Bit of a false economy last seasons result

Remi Moses
03-08-2016, 05:42 AM
Unbelievable listening to their obnoxious fan base on KB's show with Pat Smith.
Hunter feigned injury, with his old man driving him to hospital .
We're a pack of sooks, and they've got an axe to grind with the Bont after his calling out on the Thomas cheapie.
Me thinks bit rich coming from a club who claimed the umpires were cheats and all.

Twodogs
03-08-2016, 09:09 PM

I think Scotts a half decent coach , but north have recruited for now and frankly that doesn't look like happening.
I'll be interested to see what happens next season as they have one very old list which could plummet of the cliff very quickly .

I liked the bit where he cracked the sads with the umpires at the after match Presser. That was funny.

ratsmac
03-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Yeah, Wells needs a minder

I agree. I'd sit Picken on him for the first quarter. Wells fades as the games wears on, so tag him while he's fresh and then put The Bont on him head to head. He cut us up the last time we played them and put them in a good position in a tight game.

Eastdog
03-08-2016, 10:26 PM
It's a local derby as well against North and we are both going to play finals footy so a win against them would be sweet.

Twodogs
03-08-2016, 11:30 PM
It's a local derby as well against North and we are both going to play finals footy so a win against them would be sweet.

While it's always good to beat the cow botherers beating them this weekend would be extra sweet.