PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Crameri is training privately, hopes to make shock return from drugs ban

Rocket Science
02-08-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm just gonna put this here ...

Paywalled, hence full text. Bite me Herald Sun.

Stewart Crameri is training privately, hopes to make shock return from drugs ban
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/stewart-crameri-is-training-privately-hopes-to-make-shock-return-from-drugs-ban/news-story/48634b6474fe8bc2f638162c96a9df08)

STEWART Crameri is training privately in the hope of making a shock return from his drugs ban in the finals, should a Swiss court uphold the Hail Mary appeal.

The Western Bulldogs goalkicker is the only suspended player whose club is set to feature in September.

It has also emerged that Crameri’s friendship with Essendon star Michael Hurley will play a key role in the Dogs’ mission to acquire the contracted defender.

While Crameri is getting fit in Melbourne, Hurley has been holidaying in Europe with teammates including Michael Hibberd, Tom Bellchambers and Jobe Watson.

Lawyers who have submitted the paperwork for the unlikely ‘Essendon 34’ appeal are unsure when a ruling will be made but there is no guarantee of a verdict before the Grand Final.

While previous hearings have been verbal, the Swiss court will decide after reading documents written in German.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell said: “At best (we’ll know) sometime late August, at worst in October”.

“It is a foreign process and it’s really difficult. All the submissions have been submitted, it’s now deliberation phase.”

This year’s finals series is likely to begin on September 8.

If the appeal is upheld the CAS wipe-out decision in January could immediately be set aside, paving the way for Crameri to take the field.

Re-signed Dogs coach Luke Beveridge confirmed Crameri was training offsite.

“The Swiss court will ultimately make a decision. If they uphold the appeal then I think there’s a chance that all of those boys become available again,” Beveridge said.

“If (the Swiss court) uphold the appeal then I think there’s a chance that all of those boys become available again.

“Stewie’s been training and doing quite a bit of work and preparing himself just in case that happens.

“That’d be a nice little injection of personality into the club.”

It is believed Crameri has made significant fitness gains in recent months.

Crameri, 28 next week, kicked 32 goals last season and had seven shots in the elimination final loss to Adelaide.

Beveridge admitted his side’s weakness was cashing in on the scoreboard.

The Dogs are ranked No.1 for territory but 16th for converting 50m entries into goals.

“I think everything’s OK except for the completion of the offence,” Beveridge said.

“Some of that’s decision making, some of it’s skill, some of it’s workrate, part of it’s playing against good defences.

“There are so many things that are in the cauldron that we need to improve on.

“Our players are frustrated with it at times (and) we have to be better there.

“I think on inside 50m differential we’re one of the strongest clubs in the competition, so it’s not like we go out and don’t have the desire to score as much as we can.”

Beveridge confirmed the Dogs would target Hurley should he want to leave Essendon.

The Bombers accept his future hangs in the balance, but believe he is more likely to stay at Tullamarine.

The Dons tabled a five-year extension before Hurley departed overseas.

LostDoggy
02-08-2016, 09:21 PM
i'm just gonna put this here ...

Paywalled, hence full text. Bite me herald sun.

[url="http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/stewart-crameri-is-training-privately-hopes-to-make-shock-return-from-drugs-ban/news-story/48634b6474fe8bc2f638162c96a9df08"][b]

“that’d be a nice little injection of personality into the club.”

it is believed crameri has made significant fitness gains in recent months.

heh heh ;)

Go_Dogs
02-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Well, given the players have essentially missed a year and Crammers would be the only player to feature in the finals, I'm now very hopeful the appeal gets across the line!

Eastdog
02-08-2016, 09:28 PM
You just never know would be a nice addition to our forward line but most likely won't go in our favour so will have to wait until 2017.

Twodogs
02-08-2016, 09:29 PM
heh heh ;)

I picked that up too. A bit of a shit stirrer is our coach.

Well, given the players have essentially missed a year and Crammers would be the only player to feature in the finals, I'm now very hopeful the appeal gets across the line!

The appeal is no chance at all according to the experts but they are probably the same experts who were saying that the players stood no chance of being suspended in the first place.

strebla
02-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Ok but in all honesty he is still a paid employee and I would hope he is keeping himself ready. If he can come back this year but being a professional he is just saying maybe I can't be with you but still working hard cos I want to hit it running when the opertunity arises.

westdog54
02-08-2016, 09:53 PM
I picked that up too. A bit of a shit stirrer is our coach.

The appeal is no chance at all according to the experts but they are probably the same experts who were saying that the players stood no chance of being suspended in the first place.

The same ones who said Essendon were 4/600 after the first day of the Supreme Court trial?

ratsmac
02-08-2016, 10:06 PM
The way our injuries are going we'll need him just to field a full team.

In all seriousness though, could he come straight in with no games for a whole season? I wouldn't think so.

Eastdog
02-08-2016, 10:21 PM

In all seriousness though, could he come straight in with no games for a whole season? I wouldn't think so.

Yeah I tend to think not. Would be better getting in a few games in the H&A season first. He has been out for a while now so if the chance would come up would it really be the best decision by the club. Unlikely to happen.

1eyedog
02-08-2016, 10:28 PM

Absolutely!

Twodogs
03-08-2016, 01:33 AM
The same ones who said Essendon were 4/600 after the first day of the Supreme Court trial?

I said expert not delusional.

westdog54
03-08-2016, 07:20 AM
I said expert not delusional.

Gotcha.😁

LostDoggy
07-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Absolutely!

I second that!