PDA

View Full Version : 1st Final: Dogs vs Eagles: But where?

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 11:15 PM
We are officially in the finals now. North or another club has 8th. Dogs and Eagles seem destined for 6th and 7th, the only question is who finishes 6th and gets the home final. And for us, who can we get back to fitness and form in 5 weeks time.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 11:20 PM
Dogs: 4 points ahead, Collingwood, Essendon, Freo
WCE: Freo, GWS, Hawthorn & Adelaide

I say we finish 6th.

Injury list: Adams, Libba, Macrae, Campbell, Suckling (all theoretically back in 5 weeks)
VFL: Stevens, McLean

The Underdog
06-08-2016, 11:34 PM
You'd think we win 2 or 3. West Coast probably win 2 at best.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2016, 11:39 PM
Makes for interesting planning virtually knowing the opponent. We need a tall target all game with their tall zone defence, but Minson could be slaughtered and Campbell might not be back. Not sure Zaine will be effective as a forward, do we go small with McLean in from tonight's team? Put Suckling back, unleash JJ on the wing?

I'm assuming the AFEL won't allow us a home final at our actual home ground.

Winner gets loser of 2nd vs 3rd.

Remi Moses
07-08-2016, 12:21 AM
Don't go to early Trag

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Don't go to early Trag

Nah. We are mathematically impossible of dropping out. North are virtually guaranteed of 8th. The other 5 teams are fighting for spots in the top 4/5 with more wins and huge percentage over us and WCE. That 95%+ makes the 6th vs 7th EF Dogs & WCE. Where is the big question.

bornadog
07-08-2016, 01:05 AM
I don't mind either Etihad or MCG, but do lean to Etihad as the crowd will be small so a better atmosphere.

Eastdog
07-08-2016, 02:08 AM
I don't mind either Etihad or MCG, but do lean to Etihad as the crowd will be small so a better atmosphere.

MCG - If we played more games there then it would be a good option come finals time although when we played our elimination final there last year we played very well and have won both our matches there this year. This is ultimately the venue where the GF will be played so the more we play there beforehand the better.

Etihad - We mostly play our home games there so if there is more freedom of the type of venues to play at in the 1st week of the finals then that looks a good option

Most likely will be at the MCG especially if its a Victorian club.

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 02:25 AM
We would be better winning all our games and hoping that West Coast lose tommorow and then knock off all of GWS, Hawthorn and Adelaide. We'd have to go close to finishing top 4 them surely?

Webby
07-08-2016, 02:52 AM
We would be better winning all our games and hoping that West Coast lose tommorow and then knock off all of GWS, Hawthorn and Adelaide. We'd have to go close to finishing top 4 them surely?

Looking at the draw, I reckon we're on for 5th, with 4th a possibility. Finish 5th and we get Norf again. Finish 4th and it's Hawthorn - possibly Swans. Regardless, a double chance..

We've got a soft run home, but WCE a tough one. Arguably GWS too....

.... I just soooo want to win a final this year... And then throw caution to the wind!

Talking to mate tonight about years where bolters pop up and win it. Sometimes lose it when they shouldn't and vice versa. Essendon 1999 were way better than Essendon 1993, but go figure! Norf of 1979 were way better than the Norf of 1977, for example. Ditto Hawthorn of 2012 vs Hawks of 2008.

Sometimes teams who aren't quite at full strength just click. They're not expected to win and have no weight of expectation. Therefore they just play with freedom. The bullet proof factor. I reckon we've got a shot at it this year... And if not, so what?! We've got multiple guns to come back in next year.. 2016 is a free shot!

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 03:10 AM
A free shot. That's exactly what we have.

Mantis
07-08-2016, 06:49 AM
A free shot. That's exactly what we have.

You never get a free shot or have nothing to lose.

62 years and counting.

chef
07-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Bit early to call where we'll finish, could be anywhere from 4th to 8th at this stage.

Just want to avoid Adelaide or Geelong.

Ghost Dog
07-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Bit early to call where we'll finish, could be anywhere from 4th to 8th at this stage.

Just want to avoid Adelaide or Geelong.

No fear Chef. I especially hope we meet Geelong or Adelaide.

chef
07-08-2016, 11:10 AM
No fear Chef. I especially hope we meet Geelong or Adelaide.

To many scars for me.

comrade
07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I can't see any realistic way that we make top 4.

Best hope is to finish 6th, play WC in Melbourne then just let it ride. My pass mark for this year is getting beyond week 1. From there, everything is gravy.

KT31
07-08-2016, 11:43 AM

We would need some serious rooting there TD.:)

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 08:06 PM
After WCE win just now:

(Currently 7th) Dogs: Collingwood (Etihad), Essendon (Etihad) & Freo (Subi)
(Currently 6th) WCE: GWS (Spotless), Hawthorn (Subi) & Adelaide (AO)

I still say we finish 6th as we win at least one more game.

Go_Dogs
07-08-2016, 08:31 PM
After WCE win just now:

(Currently 7th) Dogs: Collingwood (Etihad), Essendon (Etihad) & Freo (Subi)
(Currently 6th) WCE: GWS (Spotless), Hawthorn (Subi) & Adelaide (AO)

I still say we finish 6th as we win at least one more game.

I agree - hard to see WCE winning 2 of those 3, Adelaide will certainly get them down there and both the other games are challenging.

What sort of margins are we looking at requiring to get us above WC if we finish on the same number of wins?

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 08:35 PM
I agree - hard to see WCE winning 2 of those 3, Adelaide will certainly get them down there and both the other games are challenging.

What sort of margins are we looking at requiring to get us above WC if we finish on the same number of wins?

Margin is irrelevant, as we can't get their percentage. We are equal on points now. The equation is at least one more win to finish 6th and a home state final.

Go_Dogs
07-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Margin is irrelevant, as we can't get their percentage. We are equal on points now. The equation is at least one more win to finish 6th and a home state final.

The Crows' percentage jumped up about 9% last night - it's not out of the realms of possibility we have a couple of big wins (albeit unlikely with our current forward line woes) and they suffer a couple of solid losses - each of their upcoming opponents could put them to the sword.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 08:51 PM
The Crows' percentage jumped up about 9% last night - it's not out of the realms of possibility we have a couple of big wins (albeit unlikely with our current forward line woes) and they suffer a couple of solid losses - each of their upcoming opponents could put them to the sword.

If they suffer two losses and we win twice by any margin we are 6th without worrying about percentage.

westdog54
07-08-2016, 08:59 PM
As much as 6th is more likely, I'd loved to finish 5th and get another crack at the downhill skiers.

1eyedog
07-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Looking like it will be the Wiggles at the G and I'm ok with that. A second semi in Melbourne would be nice - Hawthorn for instance.

chef
19-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Fair chance it could be in Perth

bulldogtragic
19-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Fair chance it could be in Perth

Watching them tonight, we are going to be hard up against if its in Perth. They look awfully impressive.

Why couldn't GWS have anyone ahead of the ball in with 3 seconds to go last week...

LostDoggy
20-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Watching them tonight, we are going to be hard up against if its in Perth. They look awfully impressive.

Why couldn't GWS have anyone ahead of the ball in with 3 seconds to go last week...

They still have to beat Adelaide in Adelaide (who'll be playing for a home final). Odds are against them there.

chef
20-08-2016, 09:01 AM
They still have to beat Adelaide in Adelaide (who'll be playing for a home final). Odds are against them there.

They've just beaten the Giants in Sydney and Hawthorn. Every chance WCE will win in Adelaide.

azabob
20-08-2016, 09:11 AM
They've just beaten the Giants in Sydney and Hawthorn. Every chance WCE will win in Adelaide.

Well when you put it like that!

LostDoggy
20-08-2016, 09:19 AM

They are a chance of course, but they got very lucky in the closing moments against GWS and have generally been ordinary away from home. Adelaide are a better team again and will have plenty to play for. With NicNat a likely omission, I still reckon WCE are outsiders.

chef
20-08-2016, 09:34 AM
WCE were great in that game against GWS, it was a bit of a freak goal to win it but they deserved that victory.

Go to Adelaide and play like they have the last 2 weeks and they are ever chance to win it. I don't like wishing injuries on anybody but heres hoping NicNats knee is a 3 weeker.

comrade
20-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Nicnat looking like an ACL. That changes the dynamic.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Nicnat looking like an ACL. That changes the dynamic.

Camhead needs to be reunited. We should win the hit outs, and if we need Roughy to help double team/shutdown Kennedy then we have that flexibility.

comrade
20-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Camhead needs to be reunited. We should win the hit outs, and if we need Roughy to help double team/shutdown Kennedy then we have that flexibility.

I hope that's the plan. TC has a couple of weeks in the VFL and then plays the first final, with Boyd anchored in the forward 50. Add a fit and firing Stringer with McLean and our forward half looks a lot more potent.

Fingers crossed Bevo goes with the 2 ruck + Boyd structure. Can't see us doing much in September otherwise.

1eyedog
20-08-2016, 11:44 AM
I can't see the Eagles beating Adelaide. The ball is in our hands re. a home final.

anfo27
20-08-2016, 11:48 AM
If Nic Nat is done then so are the eagles. Don't wish injuries on players but we've had 6 in 2 years so I'm not feeling sorry for the eagles.

1eyedog
20-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Strange decision dropping a match winner with two games to go to lock in a home final, bordering on insane actually. A lot of fans are also going to be disillusioned by this, hopefully Jake cops it sweet.

Hopefully this decision doesn't come back to bite us. Very risky.

chef
20-08-2016, 12:08 PM
If we cant beat Essendon without Stringer we dont deserve to be playing finals.

comrade
20-08-2016, 12:55 PM
A lot of fans will be disillusioned by the dropping of a player that's been out of form for 8 weeks. Plenty have rightly been disillusioned with his lack of work rate and care for teammates.

Can't believe the anxiety over dropping an out of form player.

Bulldog4life
20-08-2016, 12:58 PM
A lot of fans will be disillusioned by the dropping of a player that's been out of form for 8 weeks. Plenty have rightly been disillusioned with his lack of work rate and care for teammates.

Can't believe the anxiety over dropping an out of form player.

Agree comrade. His lack of work rate has been evident for a while. Personally I would have dropped him earlier. Better late than never and we can only hope that Jake takes it on the chin like Macrae and Crammers and comes back a better player.

comrade
20-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Agree comrade. His lack of work rate has been evident for a while. Personally I would have dropped him earlier. Better late than never and we can only hope that Jake takes it on the chin like Macrae and Crammers and comes back a better player.

He had runs on the board and we gave him a chance to turn around. Hasn't happened and I'm sure the coaching staff are working with String to get over this hump.

I doubt we've given him the silent treatment for the last 8 weeks and then surprised him with a shock omission.

We love the Dogs and our passion gets us fired up, but let's give the coaches some credit.

Bulldog4life
20-08-2016, 01:57 PM
He had runs on the board and we gave him a chance to turn around. Hasn't happened and I'm sure the coaching staff are working with String to get over this hump.

I doubt we've given him the silent treatment for the last 8 weeks and then surprised him with a shock omission.

We love the Dogs and our passion gets us fired up, but let's give the coaches some credit.

Agree even Jake I would imagine would have seen this coming. Our coaching group and MC have done a great job this year. .

BornInDroopSt'54
20-08-2016, 02:20 PM
It's the right move to drop Stringer because he hasn't deserved his spot, with lack of impact, lack of intensity and lack of statistics recently. Also in light of "The Package' image, dropping him dispels/debunks this image, which Jake didn't seek and then had to shoulder it. He originally seemed to play for the fun of what he could do. It's a different dynamic when he's called Ablettesque and has that as an expectation. Let the dog run free in the two's and then show he's better than that.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2016, 11:46 PM
Perth. Two trips in 3 weeks against a confident, skilled, defensive & big scoring in form team.

Doc26
26-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Perth. Two trips in 3 weeks against a confident, skilled, defensive & big scoring in form team.

Go Pies.

bornadog
26-08-2016, 11:57 PM

Not yet determined

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Not yet determined

I can't see results going our way, just calling items I see it.

bornadog
27-08-2016, 12:23 AM
I can't see results going our way, just calling items I see it.

If we are good enough we should be able to win anywhere. I would back this team more than any other for a very long time.

Webby
27-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Sitting at a pub in Footscray getting a bit Danny from Droop Street.... How fcking tough do we need to do it this year??!!

Lost count of ACL's, stuffed ankles and broken legs... And now we cop THE WORST road trip for a finals game... Just depressing..

And to cap it off, I'm now a Pies fan for the weekend!!!!! LOW POINT REACHED!!! ROCKBOTTOM.COM

merantau
27-08-2016, 12:57 AM
Things are looking pretty grim for sure. We have had a great season despite the pitiful run of bad luck with injuries. And now it looks like we are going to have to play THE in form team away! GO PIES!!!! GO ROOS!!!!

SonofScray
27-08-2016, 12:59 AM
Wouldn't stress too much about it. We've never done it the easy way, or even the moderately difficult way. Might as well do it the hard way.

ledge
27-08-2016, 01:47 AM
Why does everyone think we will play the Eagles over there ?
A few other results to happen before we know what's happening

SlimPickens
27-08-2016, 08:30 AM
That's it Ledge...Go Norf! ( think I just spewed a little)

1eyedog
27-08-2016, 08:43 AM
I wonder what Norf will do. Surely after the week they've had they'll come out firing.

A big loss in Perth might be the justification Scott needs for his recent actions. After the week they've had I couldn't fathom how the list could swallow Scott coming to them and saying make sure you lose.

Reckon they'll do us a favour tonight.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Perth.

Eastdog
27-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Perth.

It is looking that way unless things change. Will be tough but we have copped a lot this year and I believe we are up for the challenge.

Remi Moses
27-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Looks like tomorrow will be a game of circle work

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Looks like tomorrow will be a game of circle work

Bonts & Boyd missing with 'general soreness' is all I'm after to start, followed by bruise free footy. Morris & Suckling with minimal game time coming back. We've got Libba, Macrae, Campbell, Roughead, Wood & Stringer all possibly back. No injuries to reduce that stimulus is a great result for me.

hujsh
27-08-2016, 10:25 PM
The last time a result went our way was when the Hawks lost to Melbourne. Aside from our own games not a single thing has worked to our advantage.

comrade
27-08-2016, 10:30 PM
The last time a result went our way was when the Hawks lost to Melbourne. Aside from our own games not a single thing has worked to our advantage.

We're dud rooters.

Rocco Jones
27-08-2016, 10:39 PM
If you have to find a positive, Hawks winning assures us of a Melbourne semi if we win.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2016, 10:43 PM
If you have to find a positive, Hawks winning assures us of a Melbourne semi if we win.

That's a positive. A win in that then takes us to Sydney presumably. Geelong or Hawthorn in the GF.

Arguably, the WCE game is the hardest on current form and venue.

G-Mo77
28-08-2016, 09:24 AM

Sounds good. I was worried it would be Interstate 2 weeks straight assuming we win of course.

The Underdog
28-08-2016, 09:54 AM
The positive is that we can really use tomorrow as an opportunity to get ourselves used to a ground we have a terrible record on.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Bonts & Boyd missing with 'general soreness' is all I'm after to start, followed by bruise free footy. Morris & Suckling with minimal game time coming back. We've got Libba, Macrae, Campbell, Roughead, Wood & Stringer all possibly back. No injuries to reduce that stimulus is a great result for me.

That's all I wanted.... All I wanted....

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Perth. Thanks umpires.

DOG GOD
28-08-2016, 06:58 PM
After what I've seen against Freo, we might as well start our mad Monday tomorrow.

DOG GOD
28-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Perth. Thanks umpires.

Yep.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Expected Thursday night. Get it over and done with one way or the other.

comrade
28-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Expected Thursday night. Get it over and done with one way or the other.

One and done.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Long may our finals record continue.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Anyone else in therapy from our last final in Perth, Bubbas 300th? Looks like I should book in another 12 months with my shrink before anyone else beats me to it.

comrade
28-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Anyone else in therapy from our last final in Perth, Bubbas 300th? Looks like I should book in another 12 months with my shrink before anyone else beats me to it.

It will be somewhat similar to our last outing in Perth. Kennedy going nuts, us getting pounded.

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Morphing it into the match day thread:

Win by 13 points - With ALL of Libba, Wood, Macrae, Roughy, Campbell, McLean & Stringer playing.
Loss by whatever otherwise.

First Goal: Tom Boyd (4 in total)
BOG: Suckling

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 09:55 PM
4 sleeps to go...

boydogs
04-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Roughy, Campbell

Roughy, Campbell & T Boyd?

azabob
04-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Morphing it into the match day thread:

Win by 13 points - With ALL of Libba, Wood, Macrae, Roughy, Campbell, McLean & Stringer playing.
Loss by whatever otherwise.

First Goal: Tom Boyd (4 in total)
BOG: Suckling

Gee whiz BT.

Easty did the hard yards for 22 weeks and then when the glitzy finals come around you jump in and morph it into your thread!

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Gee whiz BT.

Easty did the hard yards for 22 weeks and then when the glitzy finals come around you jump in and morph it into your thread!

Easty, the Don (of thread starting) was slipping. In the old days I could never have gotten this close. The Tattaglias are behind me with everything. :D

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Cmon Eastie, start it up mate! Only 4 sleeps to go!

bulldogtragic
04-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Roughy, Campbell & T Boyd?

They can do two ruckman and two KPFs. I think we can do two ruckman and one KPF.

Greystache
05-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Only 4 sleeps to go!

Not in Perth! :D