PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Trade Rumours 2016

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
One of my favourite threads each year, it can be between any clubs but it needs to be dumb. And it's started early, some sports website I came across (www.sportingnews.com) has a 'damn obvious', 'very sane' & 'very, very real possibility' trade of Michael Hurley for Tom Boyd. Losing Tom Boyd removes a 'headache' for the dogs and allows Roughead to develop as a roving ruckman...

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Looking through the other stories i found this from last night's match report:

By Jack Fitzgerald
Published on Aug. 6, 2016

After Easton Wood's set shot fell into North Melbourne hands, a late Ayce Cordy hit on marker Trent Dumont enraged North Melbourne defenders, who flocked from all angles to rough up the Bulldogs ruckman.

From. http://www.sportingnews.com/afl/news/twitter-slams-thuggish-north-melbourne/orc3mm8slzdy1c55ear2epthq

Did Ayce jump the fence and thump Dumont?

hujsh
07-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Nice of him to be our hitman considering he was playing against Footscray today.

ledge
07-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Who writes for this sporting news site ? It's really horrid.
Do they put their name to it ?

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Looking through the other stories i found this from last night's match report:

By Jack Fitzgerald
Published on Aug. 6, 2016

After Easton Wood's set shot fell into North Melbourne hands, a late Ayce Cordy hit on marker Trent Dumont enraged North Melbourne defenders, who flocked from all angles to rough up the Bulldogs ruckman.

From. http://www.sportingnews.com/afl/news/twitter-slams-thuggish-north-melbourne/orc3mm8slzdy1c55ear2epthq

Did Ayce jump the fence and thump Dumont?

The second hitter theory? Dumonts head goes back and to left, back and to the left, but Zaine was to the side. Back and to left. So there must have been a second hitter, coming from isle 35. It's a conspiracy and these guys might have just proven it.

Happy Days
07-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Sportingnews essentially provides a summation of the day's posting on Big Footy; the writing never goes any further than a topic sentence, and is never justified beyond "the word around the place is".

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Who writes for this sporting news site ? It's really horrid.
Do they put their name to it ?

The byline says Jack Fitzpatrick but given he is a listed player at Hawthorn it might be a false name.

The second hitter theory? Dumonts head goes back and to left, back and to the left, but Zaine was to the side. Back and to left. So there must have been a second hitter, coming from isle 35. It's a conspiracy and these guys might have just proven it.

Damien Barrett rang and said Tom Boyd was there too in a rage about something somebody said about his contract and may have been the mystery hitter. And that none of it would have happened if everyone wasn't so distracted by how much Tom Boyd gets payed.

SquirrelGrip
07-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Nathan Brown reported this on 3AW last night too.

Proof of his journalistic quality.

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Sportingnews essentially provides a summation of the day's posting on Big Footy; the writing never goes any further than a topic sentence, and is never justified beyond "the word around the place is".

Must be part of mr Appleyard's online super stable.

ledge
07-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Why isn't it called sporting gossip with no substance or research whatsoever.com.au

bulldogtragic
07-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Why isn't it called sporting gossip with no substance or research whatsoever.com.au

Damien Barrett had already taken it.

Twodogs
07-08-2016, 11:39 PM

That's the urban dictionary entry for Damien Barrett.

"Nothing had happened and my deadline was due so my editor said to do a DAMIEN BARRETT and just make any old shit up.

ledge
08-08-2016, 06:17 AM
Blame Tom boyds contract for everything seems to be the fall back, all the injuries we have and the reason the urinal was broken are all tied to the size of his contract.

Remi Moses
13-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Heard some pearlers already . It's always fans of the big boys
Some pie fan packaged up players playing VFL
Toovey, Mcaffer and he was generous to throw in Goldsack as well, and all for Brisbanes early pick!
Casbloult and some other ordinary conveyance for Nat Fyffe ! I also heard

bulldogtragic
13-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Heard some pearlers already . It's always fans of the big boys
Some pie fan packaged up players playing VFL
Toovey, Mcaffer and he was generous to throw in Goldsack as well, and all for Brisbanes early pick!
Casbloult and some other ordinary conveyance for Nat Fyffe ! I also heard

3 spuds for a top pick hasn't happened since Freo got burned and gave up the pick for Matty Lloyd. And the reigning Brownlow medallist for a guy who can't kick straight. These are rolled gold dumb from the top shelf!

Twodogs
14-08-2016, 09:08 PM
3 spuds for a top pick hasn't happened since Freo got burned and gave up the pick for Matty Lloyd. And the reigning Brownlow medallist for a guy who can't kick straight. These are rolled gold dumb from the top shelf!

Was one of tge players they traded Todd Menagola?

bulldogtragic
14-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Was one of tge players they traded Todd Menagola?

I can't remember the others, it might be. Tony Delaney was one of them, I think. Todd Ridley maybe a second. I know they gave up Matty Lloyd and no one has really been that dumb since. The three players in that Collingwood dumb trade are free agents.... That's a great dumb trade. Three blokes who can walk for free for pick 2!!

Bulldog4life
15-08-2016, 11:18 AM
I can't remember the others, it might be. Tony Delaney was one of them, I think. Todd Ridley maybe a second. I know they gave up Matty Lloyd and no one has really been that dumb since. The three players in that Collingwood dumb trade are free agents.... That's a great dumb trade. Three blokes who can walk for free for pick 2!!

A far worse trade was in 1975.Richmond traded Graham Teasdale, Brian Roberts and Francis Jackson to South Melbourne for one player, John Pitura. Teasdale won the 1977 Brownlow, Roberts finished high in the Brownlow one year and Jackson played a number of good games for the Swans. Pitura wasn't any good at Richmond and only lasted a couple of seasons.

ledge
15-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Our trade for Dempsey was horrid .. Crazy horse Cowton was the only one who played an amount of games for us out of the three .. Can't remember what we got for Templeton off Melbourne if anything it didn't amount to much did it ?

bornadog
15-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Our trade for Dempsey was horrid .. Crazy horse Cowton was the only one who played an amount of games for us out of the three .. Can't remember what we got for Templeton off Melbourne if anything it didn't amount to much did it ?

We got dollars to pay the bank manager.

LostDoggy
15-08-2016, 04:01 PM
We got dollars to pay the bank manager.

Yep. From a pure playing list perspective, our collective trading 1978-1982 would have to be the worst in history. We traded out the guts of a potential premiership team; 5 Brownlow Medallists (Dempsey, Templeton, Quinlan, Round, Wilson) and very good players Dunstan, Huppatz, Stoneham, Cordy, Reid and others in exchange for bugger all. Of course, the primary motivation was to keep the club going financially.

1eyedog
15-08-2016, 04:28 PM

It was a lot in those days and got us out of the shite a bit I remember.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 04:03 PM
A far worse trade was in 1975.Richmond traded Graham Teasdale, Brian Roberts and Francis Jackson to South Melbourne for one player, John Pitura. Teasdale won the 1977 Brownlow, Roberts finished high in the Brownlow one year and Jackson played a number of good games for the Swans. Pitura wasn't any good at Richmond and only lasted a couple of seasons.

The whale died last week. 73.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 04:06 PM

John Moylan and Mark Williams. Moylan played a bit but Williams didn't. I think Williams was only remembered for riding his motorbike through the club rooms.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 04:09 PM
I think the transfer fee for Templetin was $180 000. I don't know how those fees were paid. By cheques? Big suitcases full of used oncers?

ledge
16-08-2016, 05:07 PM
I was playing footy for Nth Melb/ Kensington back in the 80s he owned a pub in Sth Melb ., cricketers arms I think .. We won a flag went back to his pub to celebrate, he had everything set up for us , he held a jug in one hand and I swear you couldn't see the jug, his hands were massive !

1eyedog
16-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Michael Hurley to anywhere other than the Bulldogs.

Twodogs
16-08-2016, 06:19 PM
I was playing footy for Nth Melb/ Kensington back in the 80s he owned a pub in Sth Melb ., cricketers arms I think .. We won a flag went back to his pub to celebrate, he had everything set up for us , he held a jug in one hand and I swear you couldn't see the jug, his hands were massive !

We had a couple of cricket club functions there when I was playing with a club in south Melbourne. Can't remember name of the club. I remember the Whale though. He must have been able to play a bit because he came second in the Brownlow.

Bulldog4life
16-08-2016, 10:12 PM

Yes he was a very popular player and afterwards a popular publican too. A HUGE drinker too

ledge
17-08-2016, 01:10 AM
I think Bartlett related him as being a great clubman and when they traded him the club fell apart as a team due to players thinking if you got rid of him anyone could be next and lost complete trust in the club.
He was a great footballer but sometimes it's about leadership and respect and he had it with the players but the club didn't recognise what the inner implications were trading him out.

Remi Moses
17-08-2016, 05:44 AM
This thread could go 400 pages in the next few months .

KT31
17-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Have a similar story myself, the man had massive mits.
He was at the Cricketers ,pretty sure he was just managing though and left to purchase The Duke of Wellington in Flinders St.

Templeton31
18-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Some of the things that get suggested - Bloke on SEN yesterday that Richmond were gonna trade Jack Riewoldt and a draft pick to Gold Coast for Dion Prestia. Nuts.

Axe Man
03-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Saw this one on Facebook, ridiculous:

Todd Goldstein North is on the trade table. Internal issues at North are the reasons and the Dogs are very keen. A deal with players like Honeychurch, Jong and Hrovat being offered.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 04:07 PM

The best ruck in the Comp for fringe players... We don't we add in pick 72 to get the deal done...

Twodogs
03-10-2016, 04:10 PM

If I were offered Goldstein for either Honeychurch, Jong or both I'd take it on a heartbeat. I would do everything humanly possible to get Hrovat to recontract with us. Players who can use the ball like Hrovat are exactly the sort of players we should be targeting.

1eyedog
03-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Collingwood paying big bucks for Daniel Wells is astounding. I have doubts he will last 3 years and Collingwood will not play in a Grand Final within the next 3 years. HE is 32 before the start of the 2017 season. Is crazy Bucks just trying to make the 8 to the detriment of the long-term benefit of the club?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Collingwood paying big bucks for Daniel Wells is astounding. I have doubts he will last 3 years and Collingwood will not play in a Grand Final within the next 3 years. HE is 32 before the start of the 2017 season. Is crazy Bucks just trying to make the 8 to the detriment of the long-term benefit of the club?

Yep. Straight from his coaching mentor's playbook.

LostDoggy
03-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Yep. Straight from his coaching mentor's playbook.

Was he an assistant at Richmond and North? ;)

comrade
03-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that due to our unexpected success with an unheralded list, some coaches are going to get a little crazy this trade period? I reckon there might be a few that think 'if the Dogs can win it all, we only need Player X to be a real contender'.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Was he an assistant at Richmond and North? ;)

Collingwood under Malthouse! If in doubt get Liam Jones for $1,000,000 or Wells for $1,600,000... :D

bulldogtragic
13-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Fox Sports are stealing this thread idea for a story.

But their nomination from an SEN caller is a winner. Deledio for Bontempelli in a straight swap...

Twodogs
13-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Fox Sports are stealing this thread idea for a story.

But their nomination from an SEN caller is a winner. Deledio for Bontempelli in a straight swap...

Done! No wait...

EasternWest
13-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Done! No wait...

You're right we should really throw in "Steak Knives" Tom Boyd as well.