PDA

View Full Version : Footscray/Western Bulldogs Time Travel in this finals series!

bulldogtragic
08-08-2016, 11:44 PM
So you're walking down Barkley St, Footscray this week and a time machine appears in front of you. Bam. A note says you can take the machine back to any point in Footscray/Western Bulldogs history and you can bring back one player, any player you want, but only one (1) for this upcoming finals series to play for us. You need to program the year and player into the machine to go back in time and bring him back. After doing so they join our finals series to help us win the premiership. So who do you choose? Why do you choose them? What can they give us extra?

(Note: you need to program in the year. If you say Doug Hawkins, it might be as a rookie or as he was in his 329th game, not just late 80's. Christ Grant might be a forward or defender. So make it count, nominate the right vintage of the player.)

comrade
09-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Chris Grant 1997: Plonk him at CHF in this team and watch the magic happen.

One from left field...Ben Hudson 2009. Just a scrapping ruckman that was Mumford before Mumford was Mumford. Won't win the hitouts, but can go all day and will grind the opposition ruckman into the ground. Perfect for our system.

SonofScray
09-08-2016, 12:48 AM
95 Richard Osborne to cover Crameri's absence or pre knee reco Darcy in the event we don't see Camhead much due to injuries.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 12:59 AM
Ted Whitten could do anything, anytime, the greatest player of all time. He'd do. The thought of him in our current day locker room makes me well up. I'd also be really happy with Con McCarthy, Norm Ware, Allan Hopkins, Arthur Olliver, Kelvin Templeton, Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant or Luke Darcy.

Edit: Re-read the op, should've added more detail:

My top choice would be the Ted Whitten of 1961, where as a 28 year old he did it all, Captain/Coaching us to a Grand Final, winning his 5th B&F, kicking 42 goals in 20 games despite alternating from CHF to CHB in most games depending on the wind. His legend and personality is so great it almost overshadows how ridiculously skilled he was as a player. Would be a weapon in the modern game; mobile, unbeatable in the air, footy smart and could kick 70 metres plus.

I remember in 1987 in the final episode of World Of Sport, all of the VFL experts voted on the greatest ever player and Whitten won in a landslide, more than doubling the vote of the 2nd placed (recently retired) Leigh Matthews.

My other strongly considered would be:

Con McCarthy (1922) when he first come to the club from Collingwood as a 29 year old Ruckman/KPP and Captain/Coach. A dominant big man and leader who led us to consecutive flags, forcing a Victorian championship match against Essendon, which we also won easily, forcing the VFL to invite us (and Hawthorn and North) into the VFL. Never saw him play of course, but have read articles on his leadership and brilliant skills. Apparently revolutionised the game as a Ruckman who used slick handball decades before Polly Farmer.

Norm Ware (1942), a 193 centimetre ruckman most of his career, but shared Ruck/Full Forward as Captain/Coach and kicked 51 goals in 15 games in 1942. He won the Brownlow in 1941 and would've gone mighty close again had the event been held in 1942 (he did win his 5th club b&f). Renowned as an exceptionally athletic Ruckman and great leader of his time.

Allan Hopkins (1925), a brilliant centreman with freakish skills, went on to win a Brownlow later in his career, but reading about his season as a 21 year old in our first ever VFL year, he must've been something else. Incredibly skilled and kicking 40 goals in 16 games from the centre in a team that finished 2nd last and only averaged 9 goals a game.

Arthur Olliver (1945), hard to pick a high water mark as he was a consistently excellent CHF/CHB/Ruckman for 16 years, and a great leader, Captain/Coaching us to 3 final series - our first VFL era of consistently making finals. Another who was exceptionally athletic and skilled for his size. Reports of the day describe him as the perfect big man of the era; strong, mobile, versatile and a great competitor.

Kelvin Templeton (1980), as a 24 year old Brownlow Medallist, kicking 75 goals from CHF in a terrible team. Had he not done his knee soon after, would've been spoken about in the upper echelons of the all-time greats (where he belongs). Would probably play deeper in the current team as a mobile full forward who can lead hard but also take pack marks. Would be terribly, terribly beneficial.

Doug Hawkins (1985), if we need run and class with extra sharp disposal, it'd be hard to go past '85 Douggy. His final series in particular would be hard to beat as a display of outside midfield class by any player ever. His ability to win one on one contests at that time was a joy to watch - he was unbeatable. Was 25 and at his peak, sadly did his knee the following season and (whilst still a great player) just lost a yard of pace.

Chris Grant (1998), for mine still the template for the modern day athletic, skilled, versatile, footy smart big man. Our current team would gladly take 3 of him. Would be a sensational defender under Bevo's system.

Luke Darcy (2002), maybe a left field choice, but his specific skillset as a mobile ruckman who could go forward and be a highly competent leading and marking forward who rarely missed his chances would be tremendously useful for this team. Injury shortened is career, but I reckon his quality at his peak is a little underrated. In 2002, he was voted the AFL MVP by the players (the only Bulldog to do so since the awards inception in the 1980's).

1eyedog
09-08-2016, 02:18 AM
KT 1980 and now we win the premiership nuff said.

jeemak
09-08-2016, 02:35 AM
96/97 Chris Grant.

If he'd have played as a full time CHB throughout his career he'd be the best in that position of all time (E.J. included), and he was the only player as CHF to poll the most votes in a Brownlow as a KPF in the last 20 years. You always need a swing man.

Remi Moses
09-08-2016, 03:12 AM
Dougie for decent delivery into the forward half
Grant at either CHF or CHB
KT as the key forward
E.J junior for delivery into the forward half
Give us the next 5 flags

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 03:24 AM
I'd go to 1913 and bring back Vernon Banbury. A centre half forward with exert trick in the book.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 08:10 AM
I'd go to 1913 and bring back Vernon Banbury. A centre half forward with exert trick in the book.
Vern certainly had specific skills, TD. Was given a life-ban by the VFA for bribing opposition players to lay down (Footscray responded by giving him life membership).

Smads57
09-08-2016, 08:12 AM
1992 - Scott Wynd to bolster our ordinary ruck stocks and free up both Roughy and Boyd to play longer stints back and fwd respectively.

westdog54
09-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Can't decide between 1992 Wynd in the ruck or 1996 Grant at CHB.

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Vern certainly had specific skills, TD. Was given a life-ban by the VFA for bribing opposition players to lay down (Footscray responded by giving him life membership).

Silly bastard did it on the ground at three quarter time. In a game that he wasn't playing in. And they didn't have quarter time and three quarter time breaks like they do now the players just changed ends. So Vern just leapt the fence and walked up to a port Melbourne player. In a Grand Final.

He'd retired by that stage anyway so I don't know what good banning him did.

Mofra
09-08-2016, 11:27 AM
2016 - a second Bontempelli would be perfect :cool:

Failing that, 1997 Chris Grant due to his ability to play either end. His field kicking was impeccable and he plays higher up the ground so could leave Boyd deep until he relief rucks, then Granty could play deep.

1980 Templeton would be amazing as his leading would slice the hell out of a modern zone.

Left field - a Paul Hudson would be fantastic for us to. We struggle in the F50 and his finishing would be incredible.

The Luke Darcy suggestion above is a good one too simply because his style of play matches what we do now, effective both in the ruck and forward.

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 11:31 AM
A Templeton would top this team off nicely. Either version, the skinny prodigious goal kicking KT. Or the pack marking machine monster triple opponent beating CHF KT. Either would be good.

Both would be awesome.

Bulldog4life
09-08-2016, 12:05 PM
E J Whitten without a doubt circa late 50's to early 60's. He could play in ANY position on the ground and not just play there but star. Of course on today's pay scale he would be on 3 million dollars a year plus incentives but he would be worth it. Think of Rance, Dangerfield and Buddy combined. That is Teddy.

KT31
09-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Left field - a Paul Hudson would be fantastic for us to. We struggle in the F50 and his finishing would be incredible.

Hopefully he has learnt to shepherd.;)

Rocket Science
09-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Another lethal-by-foot linebreaker who can roost them from outside 50 wouldn't go astray.

I'll have a 2009 Lindsay Gilbee please.

Or a 1994 Leon Cameron.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 03:09 PM
I'll take a 2006 Brad Johnson.
74 goals from a small forward,elite mark for his height and could go into the midfield.
With his speed coming out of the centre and breaking lines,his F50 precision passes to our forwards,we would be unstoppable.

hujsh
09-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Gee even Murph from last year would be handy.

dadsgirl16
09-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I would have to go Chris Grant circa 96/97..what a champ

chef
09-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Lake late 00's would be handy right now too.

merantau
09-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Silly bastard did it on the ground at three quarter time. In a game that he wasn't playing in. And they didn't have quarter time and three quarter time breaks like they do now the players just changed ends. So Vern just leapt the fence and walked up to a port Melbourne player. In a Grand Final.

He'd retired by that stage anyway so I don't know what good banning him did.

There's a street named after Vern Banbury in Footscray.

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Gee even Murph from last year would be handy.

That's a point. I'd land the time machine on Etihad just before the Hawthorn game finished and push Murph out of the marking contest so he doesn't do his knee.

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 05:44 PM
There's a street named after Vern Banbury in Footscray.

ive often wondered. That would mean Hopkins St is named after Alan Hopkins.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 07:54 PM
ive often wondered. That would mean Hopkins St is named after Alan Hopkins.

And Melways reference 42C3, Peter Street, Footscray - is after Streeta.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 07:56 PM
I think I'd go with Luke Darcy, pre knee injuries. Tom Boyd staying forward, with Luke & Roughy rucking and playing swingman in attack with Luke as second tall forward and defence with Roughy.

Flamethrower
09-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Apart from the obvious ones (EJ or Turtle), I'd go with 1954 Charlie Sutton to shop early and avoid the rush, 1985 Simon Beasley to replace Jack Redpath, or 1975 Gary Dempsey to give Roughy a hand.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Apart from the obvious ones (EJ or Turtle), I'd go with 1954 Charlie Sutton to shop early and avoid the rush, 1985 Simon Beasley to replace Jack Redpath, or 1975 Gary Dempsey to give Roughy a hand.

Only one though. The time machine doesn't have plutonium to do multiple time journeys! :D

azabob
09-08-2016, 08:12 PM

Ah, that explains it. Thanks

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 08:24 PM

Wonder if they were tempted to go with Peter Road?

westdog54
09-08-2016, 08:36 PM

American comedian Rich Hall used to home that they're was a dormitory at the University of Colorado named after him.

boydogs
12-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Need a mid with burst speed who can deliver inside 50 and kick long goals

2008 Adam Cooney

Twodogs
13-08-2016, 02:48 AM
Need a mid with burst speed who can deliver inside 50 and kick long goals

2008 Adam Cooney

1983-1989 Brian Royal.