PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli left out of coaches’ award votes by North Melbourne KNOB Brad Scott

bornadog
09-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marcus-bontempelli-left-out-of-coaches-award-votes-by-north-melbournes-brad-scott/news-story/434bdfd165f33a99ece03964426b9074?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=HeraldSun&utm_medium=Twitter)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/28d902e4e61b08ea4ff4683b3edcb410?width=650
Cousin Dal Santo keeping the peace

NORTH Melbourne overlooked Western Bulldogs young gun Marcus Bontempelli in the official coaches votes after Saturday night’s grudge match at Etihad Stadium.

Kangaroos players targeted Bontempelli, 20, throughout the game but he shrugged off the attention to help lead the Dogs to a crucial 14-point victory.

The Herald Sun has confirmed Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge awarded Bontempelli the maximum five votes in the AFL Coaches Association Champion Player of the Year award.

North Melbourne’s coaches did not award him any votes, handing Dogs defender Easton Wood the five and teammate Matthew Boyd four.

Beveridge considered Bontempelli, 20, to have been the most influential player on the ground.

Bontempelli is running fourth in the AFLCA award, six votes behind third-placed Dustin Martin and 21 behind leader Patrick Dangerfield.

The Kangaroos might have long memories from April, when Bontempelli spoke out about a coathanger Lindsay Thomas delivered to teammate Lachie Hunter during their Round 6 encounter.

Hunter was taken to hospital after the game with “concussion-like symptoms” and Thomas copped a one-match suspension.

“We didn’t really like it at all, we thought there was quite a bit of malice in it,” Bontempelli said. “He will be OK ... But we thought it was quite a bit unfair.”

On Saturday night, Bontempelli had 19 disposals, eight marks (three contested), nine tackles and a goal to register 133 SuperCoach points, the most of any player on the ground.

Herald Sun football writer Leo Schlink rated Bontempelli the fourth-best Bulldog on the night.

He told 3AW after the game: “They had my number tonight.

“It’s footy and that’s what you come to expect in this game, physicality and aggression ... you’ve got to wear it sometimes and I felt like I got great support from my teammates.”

Admitting after the match that his side had targeted Bontempelli, Kangaroos coach Brad Scott said there was “nothing untoward.”

“We certainly targeted him, not in a manner that is untoward,” Scott said.

“But he’s a key player. Without disrespecting the rest of the midfield, he’s probably their best midfielder. A terrific young player.

“We really felt that if we could get on top of him, we’d get on top of their midfield.

“Nothing untoward with that, just that’s he’s a very good player.”

Under the AFL Coaches’ Association’s voting system the coaches of both teams award votes to the five best players on the ground on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with 10 votes the maximum available in any match.

Round 20 AFLCA coaches votes

WESTERN BULLDOGS v NORTH MELBOURNE

8 Matthew Boyd (WB)

5 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

5 Easton Wood (WB)

3 Luke Dahlhaus (WB)

3 Jason Johannisen (WB)

2 Tory Dickson (WB)

2 Jamie Macmillan (NM)

1 Ben Cunnington (NM)

1 Fletcher Roberts (WB)

AFLCA LEADERBOARD

99 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)

93 Rory Sloane (Adel)

84 Dustin Martin (Rich)

78 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

73 Joel Selwood (Geel)

72 Dan Hannebery (Syd)

70 Luke Shuey (WCE)

69 Luke Parker (Syd)

67 Tom Lynch (GC)

62 Robbie Gray (PA)

The Doctor
09-08-2016, 03:04 PM
such petulance from Brad Scott

bornadog
09-08-2016, 03:05 PM
such petulance from Brad Scott

Unprofessional, unsportsman and really not a nice person.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 03:08 PM
What a pathetic & immature excuse for a sports person. Sums up North Melbourne pretty accurately really.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 03:23 PM
BabyCo called Brad and they want to be the main sponsor of the Norf oaches box for the rest of the year ie.3games.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You bitter little turd of an oxygen thief!!!!

Sedat
09-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Brad Scott and his meathead Hawk teammates cost us in R22 1997 when they went the man from the opening bounce and we retaliated, which resulted in us losing Southern and Dimma through suspension in the 1997 finals series. It's no surprise he still acts this way as a coach.

Bont should wear this snub as a badge of honour.

bornadog
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
What a pathetic & immature excuse for a sports person. Sums up North Melbourne pretty accurately really.

It is pathetic given Marcus was BOG, plus he is right up there in the voting and would have been 1 or 2 off third spot.

Sedat
09-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Was kinda hoping that Bevo would sneak in Firrito for a couple of votes, seeing as he was one of the most influential players on the day for us.

Doc26
09-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Hopefully Marcus gets to remind Scott and his Dad's Army again of his influence IF they happen to scrape through and if we have the pleasure of coming up against them again.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Glad someone called him out for it. Absolute flog of a bloke. The integrity of the award now must to be questioned. Well done Brad.

Greystache
09-08-2016, 05:21 PM
What a sad little man. It's typical of the way he conducted himself as a player too, do something to someone when they're not in a position to challenge him back.

Scott is the coach Norf deserve. One's as pathetic and bitter as the other!

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 05:36 PM
What sort of imbecile gives a player like Marcus Bontempelli extra motivation to play extra well against you the next ten times he plays against you?

Oh well. Remind me to take some popcorn to the next North game. This should be good.

Ozza
09-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Probably a fair bit of a beat up.

Don't get me wrong - I gave Bont BOG for us and thought he was our most influential - but 2 of the 3 media votes I saw didn't give Bont a vote. It was one of those games where there were no standouts and any of 10 players could get into the votes.

The article didn't mention that Bevo 'snubbed' Easton Wood.

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Probably a fair bit of a beat up.

Don't get me wrong - I gave Bont BOG for us and thought he was our most influential - but 2 of the 3 media votes I saw didn't give Bont a vote. It was one of those games where there were no standouts and any of 10 players could get into the votes.

The article didn't mention that Bevo 'snubbed' Easton Wood.

Gosh! Are you saying they had a falling out? Is it over Tom Boyd's contract?

AndrewP6
09-08-2016, 06:01 PM
“We really felt that if we could get on top of him, we’d get on top of their midfield"...

That worked well for them.

Remi Moses
09-08-2016, 06:18 PM
He's the most petulant person in the afl industry .
The continual shocked look at every umpiring decision is cringeworthy

Ghost Dog
09-08-2016, 06:27 PM
If they had REALLY done their homework on Bont they would have known to get on with it. That stuff is usually like an aphrodisiac for competitive beasts like Marcus. I think BAD posted a picture of Bont laughing while Majak and his merry men tried to look tough. Was hilarious.

Port and North. Two teams with big chests and lofty ambitions of grandiose delusions. The score flattered them in the end. They have to knock that stuff off and change the way they play.

ratsmac
09-08-2016, 06:52 PM
The title says it all, KNOB.

Bulldog4life
09-08-2016, 07:33 PM
If they had REALLY done their homework on Bont they would have known to get on with it. That stuff is usually like an aphrodisiac for competitive beasts like Marcus. I think BAD posted a picture of Bont laughing while Majak and his merry men tried to look tough. Was hilarious.

Port and North. Two teams with big chests and lofty ambitions of grandiose delusions. The score flattered them in the end. They have to knock that stuff off and change the way they play.

Looking at The Bont he seemed to be laughing continously at their faux hard men tactics. Looked like he was having a wow of a time.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Looking at The Bont he seemed to be laughing continously at their faux hard men tactics. Looked like he was having a wow of a time.

The best was not taking a back step and the preparedness for others to fly the flag in a big way, Cordy in game 4 was dishing it out. This was to me a turning point for ours boys, last time the bullied a bunch of kids. This time a bunch kids gave back as good as they got, and with interest. As North refuse to change 'their way' nor rebuild, I look forward to smashing them for at least the next 20 games in a row.

Throughandthrough
09-08-2016, 08:21 PM
I think this is the funniest thing I've read all year. Sensational dummy spit. And at a guess, Scott has probably broken some type of gentlemans agreement in regards to these votes. I wouldn't be surprised if the other coaches will act together to teach him a lesson (when it comes to voting) going forward.

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 08:39 PM
I think this is the funniest thing I've read all year. Sensational dummy spit. And at a guess, Scott has probably broken some type of gentlemans agreement in regards to these votes. I wouldn't be surprised if the other coaches will act together to teach him a lesson (when it comes to voting) going forward.

We can only hope. Does Leigh Matthews do Twitter etc?

westdog54
09-08-2016, 08:39 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-08-07/the-bont-fires-up-rd20

Now we can enjoy Bont getting in Firritos face over and over again.

hujsh
09-08-2016, 08:58 PM

How else can you really react to these guys who think they're tough cause they give a few jumper punches? Something I never really understood when I played footy myself (why you'd bother that is).

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 09:14 PM
How else can you really react to these guys who think they're tough cause they give a few jumper punches? Something I never really understood when I played footy myself (why you'd bother that is).

They are tough, really tough. I remember one day a few years back that our wirey forward was besieged by three of the faux tough men and they showed true courage.

Actually, now I think of it that wirey forward put one faux tough in a vicious headlock, and the eventual pass by of two reluctant players trying to help out, who with poo running down their legs did nothing. The three faux tough men were being easy beaten by one of ours. But faux tough is a kind of tough. Right? I can't remember who our forward was, it might have been Ayce Cordy or Cam Wight. All I know is since then they refuse to take on anyone their own size or strength.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 09:22 PM
with poo running down their legs did nothing.

lmfao!!!!;););)

kruder
09-08-2016, 10:00 PM
His brother isn't far behind him....

Twodogs
09-08-2016, 10:20 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-08-07/the-bont-fires-up-rd20

Now we can enjoy Bont getting in Firritos face over and over again.

The kid is just a brute. Runs around doing what he likes. Getting dragged to the ground by three players, might have to handball this one. He's a gem. An absolute gem. The sky's the limit with this kid.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Best handball I've every seen at his age. So enjoyable to watch this young athlete. Maybe not giving him votes is the equivalent of a stunned silence.

What was Firrito doing on the ground for anyway? With those big guns he should be able to stand up properly and go toe to toe with a 20 year old. One would hope.
Something a bit wrong with the current culture down there. I don't dislike North as much as some, but their antics are a bit comical.Swallows fake stutter over the ball, stalling play with Bont waiting for the ball behind him. Lindsay Thomas' and the reverse self-inflicted coat hanger. Scott Thompson and his jumper punches. It's unnecessary.

I can sort of understand why Scott gets flustered.

LostDoggy
09-08-2016, 10:37 PM
His brother isn't far behind him....

How good has the legacy of the great Brisbane 2001-2004 teams been? Chris Scott, Brad Scott, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Justin Leppitsch, Simon Black.....

bulldogtragic
09-08-2016, 11:00 PM
How good has the legacy of the great Brisbane 2001-2004 teams been? Chris Scott, Brad Scott, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Justin Leppitsch, Simon Black.....

And life member Mal Michael classily 'retiring', before signing up at Essendon through the back door. Then badly insulting & burning great clubman Daniel Bradshaw to get Fevola in the door, and Fev is another thread...

SonofScray
09-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Brad Scott and his meathead Hawk teammates cost us in R22 1997 when they went the man from the opening bounce and we retaliated, which resulted in us losing Southern and Dimma through suspension in the 1997 finals series. It's no surprise he still acts this way as a coach.

Bont should wear this snub as a badge of honour. I recall Hawks players coming out and saying it was premeditated and they took bets on who would kick things off first. Ordinary stuff, I didn't realise he was involved, but am not surprised.

ledge
10-08-2016, 12:01 AM
I remember a bloke called Barry Hall sorting out Nth, just shows how stupid they were , the smartest mad bloke going around and they wanted to harrass him? He nearly killed one of them, Thompson wasn't it ?
So they tried on a tough guy and lost now try On a young bloke and lose.
About 6 years in between and they are still trying the same old rubbish, the game went past that style in the 80s

Twodogs
10-08-2016, 12:07 AM

Martin Pyke. He is a four time premiership player Matrin Pyke.

Twodogs
10-08-2016, 12:10 AM
I remember a bloke called Barry Hall sorting out Nth, just shows how stupid they were , the smartest mad bloke going around and they wanted to harrass him? He nearly killed one of them, Thompson wasn't it ?
So they tried on a tough guy and lost now try On a young bloke and lose.
About 6 years in between and they are still trying the same old rubbish, the game went past that style in the 80s

Remember when Simon Beasley threw his arm back and copped Keith Greig in the jaw and knocked him clean out? At VFL park, maybe 1984 or 1985. It's got nothing to do with anything really but you just reminded me of it.

jeemak
10-08-2016, 12:15 AM
North were so interested in trying to look as if they were tough in taking on Barry 10-1 it was easy to forget they were being done by 53 points late in the second quarter at the time.

Thompson was lucky not to get clipped seriously that day. He spent the entire day whacking Hall, and then to deploy the level of smart arse wanker he did in knocking Hall over as he was attempting to tie his laces was a seriously stupid thing to do.

I'm not a huge fan of Hall due to his thuggish behaviour, and I don't condone violence, but if anyone needed a touch up it was Thompson on that particular day.

Twodogs
10-08-2016, 12:24 AM
Thompson could do with a touch up most days. He's just got one of those heads.

westdog54
10-08-2016, 07:28 AM
North were so interested in trying to look as if they were tough in taking on Barry 10-1 it was easy to forget they were being done by 53 points late in the second quarter at the time.

Thompson was lucky not to get clipped seriously that day. He spent the entire day whacking Hall, and then to deploy the level of smart arse wanker he did in knocking Hall over as he was attempting to tie his laces was a seriously stupid thing to do.

I'm not a huge fan of Hall due to his thuggish behaviour, and I don't condone violence, but if anyone needed a touch up it was Thompson on that particular day.

They hadn't even kicked a goal up until that point. The only reason they got one was because Brian Lake gave away a 50 coming in to fly the flag.

From the resulting centre clearance we scored a goal virtually unopposed, and I took great joy in reminding North that that was how you should kick goals.

bornadog
10-08-2016, 10:12 AM
I remember Thompson saying when Hall got him in that headlock he couldn't breathe and thought he was going to die.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fADacmDQk

LostDoggy
10-08-2016, 10:24 AM
I remember Thompson saying when Hall got him in that headlock he couldn't breathe and thought he was going to die.

Enjoy:

Soft. His face didn't even turn blue like Peter Sumich's did when Danny Southern got him in headlock during a melee at half time in Perth in the 90s. Now that was an explosive day of footy.

G-Mo77
10-08-2016, 10:35 AM
And the one and only Brad Scott behind it all. I felt like jumping the fence that day I was so angry with what was going on. I was sitting on the fence and continuously let off at any North player or even water boy that were in the vicinity. They were a bloody disgrace that day and not much has changed since.

Mofra
10-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Soft. His face didn't even turn blue like Peter Sumich's did when Danny Southern got him in headlock during a melee at half time in Perth in the 90s. Now that was an explosive day of footy.
One of my all time favourite on field comments kicked it all off.

Heady flogged us in the previous game, kicked 10 goals and kept goading our players with "that's 5, that's 6 etc"
Steve Wallis sees Heady under the ball, smashes him (legally in those days) and Heady's on the ground, hardly moving.
Stands over him, looks down and says "that's one"

bornadog
10-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Bonti named in AFL team of the week along with JJ

Topdog
10-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Lol Scott is a joke

comrade
10-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Bonti named in AFL team of the week along with JJ

Any sign of Cunnington?

bornadog
10-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Any sign of Cunnington?

Funny not a North player in sight.

LostDoggy
10-08-2016, 07:22 PM
Any sign of Cunnington?

Who??? :confused:

G-Mo77
10-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Who??? :confused:

The milkman.

ledge
10-08-2016, 10:16 PM
What makes me laugh is they said they will do the same tactic against the Hawks ,, it didn't work last time it didn't work against us and they are going to do it again ??

ledge
10-08-2016, 10:16 PM
What makes me laugh is they said they will do the same tactic against the Hawks ,, it didn't work last time it didn't work against us and they are going to do it again ??

Oops wrong thread sorry

Topdog
11-08-2016, 11:32 AM

I think its an appropriate thread. They are idiots

hujsh
11-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Why wasn't there room for Bontempelli in the coaches votes?

I've heard rumors from 'good sources' that all the space was taken by Tom Boyd's contract.

THINK ABOUT IT SHEEPLE!!!!

The Pie Man
11-08-2016, 02:47 PM
I detest Brad Scott, but if he really thought Bont wasn't in the 5 best on the ground, then so be it.....he saw fit to give Wood & Boyd votes.

What I did find funny is that he had a whinge about how he thought the voting process was confidential. Seriously Brad, just stop complaining for once in your life.

ledge
11-08-2016, 02:58 PM
I think he means I thought they were confidential because they need to be so I don't look like I'm spiteful

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 03:40 PM
I guess he's free to vote for who he likes. Tto tell the truth it doesn't really affect how big a knob I think he is.

The Pie Man
11-08-2016, 05:13 PM
I guess he's free to vote for who he likes. Tto tell the truth it doesn't really affect how big a knob I think he is.

I think we all share that view - he's a colossal windbag.

ledge
11-08-2016, 05:16 PM
You wouldn't believe how many North supporters I know that want him sacked .. And that's not just recently , over the last two years .

Twodogs
11-08-2016, 08:50 PM
You wouldn't believe how many North supporters I know that want him sacked .. And that's not just recently , over the last two years .

Most of the ones I know have pretty much stopped talking about it now and just kind of hope it would end.

LostDoggy
11-08-2016, 09:18 PM

Enjoy:

Is it bad I was cackling at this?

Bulldog Revolution
11-08-2016, 09:39 PM
We may still draw them in a final, and thats the game I really want to win to show the Roos that their faux hard man act doesn't cut it

Ghost Dog
11-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Is it bad I was cackling at this?

No. I laughed too. Especially when he went off with his arms in the air and poked everyone near him with his elbows.
That's the day North's faux toughness hit a wall.

Twodogs
13-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Speaking of knobs. Why is Tony Shaw employed as a football expert? On the 3aw votes last night he only found room for one bulldog in a 5,4,3,2,1 voting format and somehow he thought that Trealor deserved 5 votes ahead of Bontempelli!

Here they are:

5. Adam Treloar (Coll)
4. Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3. Brodie Grundy (Coll)
2. Darcy Moore (Coll)
1. Jeremy Howe (Coll)

Is it just bias? Or is Tony Shaw as big a fool as he makes out? There's enough old mates jobs going at Collingwood and if he is going to carry on with crap like that then that's about all he is fit for. If we didn't have half a dozen better players on the park than Jeremy Howe then I'd be pretty suprised. Did he not notice Dahlhaus for a start? Picken?

G-Mo77
13-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Boyd would be one I'd have in there probably over Howe but I'm guessing he's put Howe in there for keeping Stringer quiet.

Maybe a bit of bias but those players for the Pies played really well. Justifiable IMO.

westdog54
13-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Treloar was good, let's not kid ourselves, but BOG is a stretch.

Had Howe not taken that hanger he would have barely been noticed.

Doc26
13-08-2016, 07:45 PM
No. I laughed too. Especially when he went off with his arms in the air and poked everyone near him with his elbows.
That's the day North's faux toughness hit a wall.

What was aggravating was how little support Hall was provided by his teammates that day. I'm sure it wouldn't happen under our current crop but how Firrito, Thompson and co. have been allowed to get away with this rubbish for so long is mind blowing. If the umpires would just pay a free or two early against them we could stamp these ugly tactics out of the game. The sooner the likes of Brad Scott are purged out of the game the better a spectacle it will be.

Mantis
13-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Treloar was good, let's not kid ourselves, but BOG is a stretch.

Had Howe not taken that hanger he would have barely been noticed.

It was 50:50 between the Bont and Treloar for BOG.

Howe had 23 and 11 marks and slogged Stringer.

jeemak
13-08-2016, 10:13 PM
I thought either Treloar or Bont deserved the full votes.

Like G-Mo77 I thought Moyd was deserving as well, and perhaps Dahl.

Twodogs
13-08-2016, 11:47 PM
It was 50:50 between the Bont and Treloar for BOG.

Howe had 23 and 11 marks and slogged Stringer.

23 suprised me. A few give and goes in defence but 23 is respectable. Stringer seems injured. He goes one handed at a lot of contests.

westdog54
28-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Just for the record, the umpires gave Bont 3 votes in the Brownlow count.

He can try all he wants but Brad Scott can't just explain this one away.

Flog status well and truly confirmed.